Page 240 of 351 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290340 ... LastLast
Results 5,976 to 6,000 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    As long as it is not 3 years old or more, you should be fine. In fact, if you have an Elite, there's pretty much no way that it could be 3 years old yet. The original system came out in November of '05. I believe the Elites didn't come out until around spring (April-Mayish) of '07 (I know it was spring time for sure, I'm a little fuzzy on the year).

And you probably didn't get your Elite right when it came out, so you should still be good to get an RROD replacement.
    But thats the thing
    its not RROD.
    Last edited by Raining Light; February 18, 2009 at 04:56pm.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    But thats the thing
    its not RROD.
    I understand that. But, did you not read my previous post?

The point is that (as Markatisu pointed out) the RROD is a very inconsistent problem. Some people (such as myself) may get the RROD one day, only for the system to work fine the next day (or even later in the same day). I still sent mine in for a replacement, and they never questioned it. The turn around time between them receiving my system and sending out the replacement was super quick. Odds are, they didn't do much to test out the problem or look into it. They received the system, and then just sent out the replacement. With who big the RROD problem is, they probably don't have time to test them out.

And, while I won't go pointing out names, there is another forum member who posts in this thread who had a problem with his 360 a while ago that had nothing to do with the RROD, however, he filled out the online form, marking the problem as being RROD, and they sent him a replacement with no questions asked.

Most likely, if you just say that you are getting the RROD (even though you aren't), they will likely just replace it. It may not be the most ethical thing to do, but as I said before, Microsoft putting out a system with this many problems isn't really ethical either, so I personally see it as balancing things out.

And, the worst case scenario (which I think is VERY UNLIKELY to happen), if they get your system and some way, somehow determine that the RROD wasn't the problem, they will just send it back to you as is, and you will be no worse off than you are now, and at that point you can look into possibly redeeming your Wal-Mart warranty.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I understand that. But, did you not read my previous post?

The point is that (as Markatisu pointed out) the RROD is a very inconsistent problem. Some people (such as myself) may get the RROD one day, only for the system to work fine the next day (or even later in the same day). I still sent mine in for a replacement, and they never questioned it. The turn around time between them receiving my system and sending out the replacement was super quick. Odds are, they didn't do much to test out the problem or look into it. They received the system, and then just sent out the replacement. With who big the RROD problem is, they probably don't have time to test them out.

And, while I won't go pointing out names, there is another forum member who posts in this thread who had a problem with his 360 a while ago that had nothing to do with the RROD, however, he filled out the online form, marking the problem as being RROD, and they sent him a replacement with no questions asked.

Most likely, if you just say that you are getting the RROD (even though you aren't), they will likely just replace it. It may not be the most ethical thing to do, but as I said before, Microsoft putting out a system with this many problems isn't really ethical either, so I personally see it as balancing things out.

And, the worst case scenario (which I think is VERY UNLIKELY to happen), if they get your system and some way, somehow determine that the RROD wasn't the problem, they will just send it back to you as is, and you will be no worse off than you are now, and at that point you can look into possibly redeeming your Wal-Mart warranty.
    I guess Im scared of getting into trouble-lol.
    Since its an Elite I feel like they will actually look at it. Because to my knowledge there is far less Elites screwing up then "regular" consoles. Plus I dont wannna try it, it not work then still have to wait forever. I just bought a new game, I hadnt played anything for a couple weeks, and came home to hook it up-boom it was broke. So now Im sitting here with a new game I cant play, being impatient

Oh well I'll figure it all out.
    Thanks guys for your advice.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

The Commodore 64 makes its VC debut:

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND THREE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 23, 2009

Hang onto your hats – and your Wii Remote™ controllers – as we unveil a set of exciting firsts for the Wii™ Shop Channel this week. For starters, the new Onslaught™ marks the first-ever first-person shooter to be released via the WiiWare™ service. Using the intuitive wireless controls Wii is known for, the game puts players at the center of a pulse-pounding adventure that fans of futuristic sci-fi and multiplayer action will love.

The other big news this week is the hotly anticipated launch of Commodore® 64 game titles on Virtual Console™. Starting with two classic martial arts games and an awesome car racing title, we're thrilled to add yet another old-school gaming platform to the mix. Virtual Console already offers classic games that originally appeared on a variety of platforms, and with the addition of Commodore 64, Wii owners can expect even more vintage games to rediscover and enjoy. (Congratulations to those of you who deciphered our hidden hints in last week's Wii-kly Update – you'll find a key to all the clues at the end of this installment.)

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Onslaught (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated T for Teen—Animated Blood, Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Onslaught is an FPS that puts you in the middle of a futuristic war between humans and insectoid aliens. Become part of the Elite Interstellar Strike Force and fight against an overwhelming onslaught of alien life forms. Enjoy the rush of mowing down wave after wave of aliens with machine guns, grenades and more. Feel your heart pound as you battle gigantic boss aliens. Beyond the normal game, Onslaught includes additional modes that let you play with rivals from around the world using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Team up with as many as three other players in Free Battle mode, or compete on special maps to see who can get the most points by killing enemies before time runs out in Ranking Battle mode. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more info, go to www.nintendo.com.)

Virtual Console

The Last Ninja™ (Commodore 64, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Animated Blood, Mild Violence, 500 Wii Points): The evil Shogun Kunitoki has long envied the powers of the Ninja brotherhood and would do anything to acquire their knowledge. To this end, he has sworn an oath to their total destruction. Once every decade, all Ninja must travel to the Island of Lin Fen, where they pay homage to the Shrine of the White Ninja and receive further teachings from the Koga Scrolls. Seizing the opportunity, Kunitoki summoned forth all the spirits from the depths of the Nether World and flung their full force against the amassed Ninja. None escaped the wrath of Kunitoki. Word of this unnatural disaster soon reached Armakuni, the last Ninja. Gathering all his courage, he has sworn to wreak a terrible revenge on the Shogun and all his followers. What unforeseen hazards await him?

INTERNATIONAL KARATE™ (Commodore 64, 1-2 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Violence, 500 Wii Points): INTERNATIONAL KARATE is a simulation of a karate tournament in which one person can play against the computer or two players can compete against each other. During the game, you'll fly to various locations around the world. In all stages of the game, a wise old judge will watch over you and award you either a half-point or a full point, depending on how successful a hit has been.

Pitstop II™ (Commodore 64, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Pitstop II was the first game that brought serious auto racing action to the computer screen—the thrill of battling an opponent, the excitement of fighting for the lead out on the track, and the suspense of struggling to be the first out of the pits. Third-person graphics and a split-screen display allow one or two players to experience the challenge of car racing head-to-head. Six of the world's toughest tracks are waiting, from Brands Hatch and its hairpin turns to the mile-long straight of Vallelunga. You can practice against the computer, but nothing will compare to the fun of racing against another person. Indeed, Pitstop II proves that car racing was never meant to be a solo sport.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    The Commodore 64 makes its VC debut:
    FINALLY!!!!

I hope they get Cosmi on board. I wouldn't mind playing Forbidden Forest again
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Commodore 64?????? SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    FINALLY!!!!

I hope they get Cosmi on board. I wouldn't mind playing Forbidden Forest again
    I need Miner 2049er, Spy vs Spy 1,2,3 and Ultima 4, 5, 5...come on Nintendo you can do it
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Wow - PSP finally getting some more major franchise games:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/956/956591p1.html

Curious to see how Rock Band would work, and what connectivity LittleBigPlanet will have.

Anybody pick up Star Ocean 4? How is it?

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Wow - PSP finally getting some more major franchise games:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/956/956591p1.html

Curious to see how Rock Band would work, and what connectivity LittleBigPlanet will have.

Looks like it's going to be an awesome year for the PSP.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I need Miner 2049er, Spy vs Spy 1,2,3 and Ultima 4, 5, 5...come on Nintendo you can do it
    Oh, and The Great Giana Sisters

The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    Hey everyone, I just got an XBOX 360 a few weeks ago and noticed that every game is in 1080p while most PS3 games are in 720p. Is there a reason why the PS3 is only 720p? On gaming only why would anyone choose the PS3?
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Hey everyone, I just got an XBOX 360 a few weeks ago and noticed that every game is in 1080p while most PS3 games are in 720p. Is there a reason why the PS3 is only 720p? On gaming only why would anyone choose the PS3?
    The PS3 can do 1080p but only a handful of developers have actually done it, for various reasons. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is 1080p for example on the PS3.

The PS3 is a better gaming system from top to bottom but developers had a hard time with its programming (which is often why older PS3 ports of 360 games are often gimped or have issues) in the beginning

Now that is not much of an issue because most games that are multiplatform are now made either on the PS3 first and then ported down or made with both systems in mind
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

The PS3 can do 1080p but only a handful of developers have actually done it, for various reasons. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is 1080p for example on the PS3.

The PS3 is a better gaming system from top to bottom but developers had a hard time with its programming (which is often why older PS3 ports of 360 games are often gimped or have issues) in the beginning

Now that is not much of an issue because most games that are multiplatform are now made either on the PS3 first and then ported down or made with both systems in mind
    Just as an example NHL09 and Street Fighter 4 for the PS3 are only 720p. Since these are new games shouldn't they have been programed in 1080p? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Ironmans Want List:

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Just as an example NHL09 and Street Fighter 4 for the PS3 are only 720p. Since these are new games shouldn't they have been programed in 1080p? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Are you sure? Every report I have ever seen showed SF4 as a 1080p game, and RE5 is 1080p

I do know that the 360 and PS3 can upscale so all games are not necessarily 1080p but because the system takes care of the upscaling instead of the TV you "think" they are

That might be where the confusion lies

Also keep in mind unless your TV is larger than 52" (47" in some cases) then you will visibly see no difference between 720 and 1080 due to the way HDTV units work

Are you sure? Every report I have ever seen showed SF4 as a 1080p game, and RE5 is 1080p

I do know that the 360 and PS3 can upscale so all games are not necessarily 1080p but because the system takes care of the upscaling instead of the TV you "think" they are

That might be where the confusion lies

Also keep in mind unless your TV is larger than 52" (47" in some cases) then you will visibly see no difference between 720 and 1080 due to the way HDTV units work
    I had the two PS3 games in my hands and they are only 720p. I guess for us big screen owners its better to own an XBOX 360.
    Ironmans Want List:

I had the two PS3 games in my hands and they are only 720p. I guess for us big screen owners its better to own an XBOX 360.
    Yeah the 360 also has more quality games, the PS3 is still having trouble establishing its own IP's due to the fact many are not buying it because of price

I think IronAvatar would be able to explain the whole 720/1080 disparity, its strange though because just looking at what little I own, Mortal Kombat vs DC and Metal Gear Solid 4 are both 1080p games so its not like the system can't do it

Prince of Persia: Epilogue DLC pushed back a week, and pricing revealed:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/957/957053p1.html

800 MSPoints(360) or $10+tax(PS3).

The other day i downloaded demos of Bioshock and FEAR 2 on thePS3. Bioshock plays in 1080 but FEAR 2 plays in 720. I'd have to disagree with you marka. I have only seen one game I'd buy a 360 for and that's Dead Rising. NONE of the other 360 only games would make me buy it.

Quake Live has gone open. www.quakelive.com I tried it the other night, seems to run pretty seamless. I ran it Fullscreen at 1024x768 maxed with no problems.

I think if they get enough word out, this could be a big hit for ID.

UT3 super duper mega pack with fixes, and content galore coming in just a few days: Epic announcing Titanpack for all versions of UT3

And if you didn't buy it at the end of 07 UT3 is now $12 at Gamestop for the PC version. The console versions are still around $40.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; March 1, 2009 at 03:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Deviot

-?

Thank god, no need to look on ebay any longer for Ogre Battle

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 2, 2009

In like a lamb and out like a lion, or vice-versa? Whether March finds you digging out from a late-winter blizzard or reeling in the spring thaw, the fun is both mild and wild at the Wii™ Shop Channel. Even the littlest lambs in your household can take part in a cool new family-friendly WiiWare™ game, while strategy-loving gamers will be roaring like lions as they battle evil foes in a classic Virtual Console™ title.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Family & Friends Party (Gammick Entertainment, 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Have fun with all your friends and family as you take on some very exciting challenges. This is an interactive board game for as many as eight players of all ages. The goal is to be the first to complete a series of challenges. During each turn, a challenge will be played by one or two players per team depending on the type of challenge you've been given. (Other players on your team can still help and support you). There are six different "Single" challenges that must be played cooperatively by members of the same team. Family & Friends Party can also suggest "Versus" challenges, which must be played competitively by all teams at the same time.

Virtual Console™

Ogre Battle™: The March of the Black Queen™ (Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): It's up to you to defeat the Empire. It's been nearly a quarter of a century since the Zetegenian Empire first conquered the Kingdoms of Zenobia with a wrath of fear and bloodshed. You are the leader of a band of rebels who've fought to preserve the last shred of honor in this desperate time of treachery. Manage the ranks of a full-blown rebel army, complete with hundreds of characters, magic items, weapons and mystical Tarot cards. You must succeed in ousting the evil usurpers-your fate, and that of the entire population, depends on it.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

The Deviot

-?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post
    The other day i downloaded demos of Bioshock and FEAR 2 on thePS3. Bioshock plays in 1080 but FEAR 2 plays in 720. I'd have to disagree with you marka. I have only seen one game I'd buy a 360 for and that's Dead Rising. NONE of the other 360 only games would make me buy it.
    it's just a matter of personal taste here though as the only game i'd buy a ps3 for is God of War 3. in general i think for the average gamer the 360 has more appealing titles, not to say the PS3 doesn't have appealing games besides GOW3, it does, but that's the only one I want.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Did anybody see this, the old NES game "A Boy and his Blob" is being remade for Wii by the developers of Contra 4, Lit, and Shantae

Apparently according to IGN the release of Wario Ware on Wii proved 2D could work and led to this game

It looks pretty cool, I would not mind seeing more 2D games remade for regalr Wii, XBL and PSN (to join things like Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, etc)

I read about a Boy & his Blob the other day. I never played the original, but I heard lots of good things about it. I'll have to check it out sometime.

I agree on the 2D front - there needs to be more of them released. Just because there are amazing things you can do with 3D, doesn't mean old school style 2D should go entirely by the wayside. As has been mentioned, Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando, the DS Castlevania games, Wario Land Shake It!, and several others prove that there's still a desire for these types of games to be made.