Page 101 of 351 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 8757

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

The PC's the best video game platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    if not for the camera going all over the place when you flick the remote this would have been an excellent game. I will give this game an 8 out of 10
    have you tried adjusting the sensitivity, some people on various boards have said that helps.

I am still looking for this game but its either sold out or not been put on the shelves in my area.

I read that the PC version kicks total butt, especially in video quality. Some guy at TFW2005 posted pics directly from the PC version in really high res.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    That's obvious (big PC gamer here), but how long till the rest of the world realizes this???
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    Oh yeah, and that's why so many developers concentrate on console development
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    That's obvious (big PC gamer here), but how long till the rest of the world realizes this???
    I disagree, though I'm becoming annoyed as many of the things that I don't like about PC gaming are starting to effect console gaming.

The problem with computers/PCs is that you constantly have to upgrade this type of memory or this RAM or this video card, etc, etc, etc. in order to use the most current games. And even then, the performance isn't always consistent from one computer to another. Then there's the issue of the game conflicting with some other program that you already have on your computer or something, which can happen on occasion, and it just becomes a big mess.

In general, what I like about console gaming, is that if I have X console, and a buy a game that's made to be played on X console, then I am pretty much set to go. There may be some basic peripherals to get initially (controllers, memory cards if applicable, etc), and sure, the occasional game may have it's own special peripheral (and in most cases, it is well known/advertised that this extra peripheral is needed, and in many cases comes with the game).

The only problem now is that as it's becoming more and more common to go online with gaming consoles, now people are downloading things, getting firmware upgrades, etc, and this could be a possible problem. There have already been occasions (in the case of Xbox 360) where some downloads have caused problems and even turned the systems into "bricks".

Then there's the issue of Hard Drive space, which will become more and more prominent as more and more things are being downloaded. Xbox 360 already came out with the upgrade Elite system with the 120 gig Hard Drive (and now that HD is being sold separately for people with the older system). So, now upgrading memory, etc, is going to become more prevelant.

And I'm sure as time goes on, we will find more problems with software stored on the hard drive conflicting with other software. And it probably won't be too long before worrying about viruses on our gaming systems will become an issue, then we'll be forced to buy anti-viruses for them and keep updating them. But then the anti-virus will likely conflict with some other software and cause problems, thus defeating the whole purpose of having an anti-virus to keep the machine safe and working properly. And the problems will just go from there.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

ummm ok, I kinda just read the last two pages here since this thread has been out a year. The poll says wii but i wanted to know what console do you guys recommend between the wii, 360, and ps3. I play MMO's on PC and cant seem to get my wife into them. She's expressed she wants a wii before but i dont see myself flip'n around doing all those wand movements. Does the wii have regular games you just sit down and use a joystick? Or are they all quick wrist movements?

Quote Originally Posted by seth-man View Post
    ummm ok, I kinda just read the last two pages here since this thread has been out a year. The poll says wii but i wanted to know what console do you guys recommend between the wii, 360, and ps3. I play MMO's on PC and cant seem to get my wife into them. She's expressed she wants a wii before but i dont see myself flip'n around doing all those wand movements. Does the wii have regular games you just sit down and use a joystick? Or are they all quick wrist movements?
    A lot of the games have an option to use a regular controller or the wiimote and nunchuck.

Prime examples are: Metal Gear Anthology, Resident Evil 4, Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

Even games that do require moving the wiimote around like Marvel UA the moves can also be done by pressing the A and B buttons, the movements of the controller just give you instant access to things instead of button and d-pad combos.

Some games like Madden only allow you the one control scheme.

Your wife would most likely be interested in the Wii, if she does not like MMO's or action games (or sports games) then the 360 and PS3 will not appeal to her most likely.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Yeah, there's some hassles with PC's, but they're best at playing more in-depth games like "God Games" (i.e. Sim City, Age of Empires etc.), Simulators, Adventures like Baldurs Gate and games like Command and Conquer, Company of Heroes, Panzers etc. I remember trying to play games like Command and Conquer and Sim City on my old Playstation 1 and it just wasn't at all the same as playing it on the PC. Consoles are best at playing button bashers, nothing else.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth-man View Post
    If you don't mind last gen graphics, then you can play GameCube games while your wife can play the Wii games. I mean, there are games like Zelda, Smash, Metroid, and Mario that will appeal to the core gamers and I don't think they'll be using the motion stuff all that much (see Zelda).

I think the Wii is a great system for all gamers...but people have to be patient for the real games.

By the way, anyone have Battle Revolution and want to exchange friend codes?

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Does anybody know what extras are on the Transformers Collectors Edition for the 360?
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

What is this decoder they are giving away at Target with the Transformer games anyone know??

Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1 View Post
    Does anybody know what extras are on the Transformers Collectors Edition for the 360?
    As far as I know its just the extra Cybertron level and the 2nd DVD with behind the scenes footage/bonus material from the movie.

What is this decoder they are giving away at Target with the Transformer games anyone know??
    I think its just a red piece of flimsy plastic, the code are not super secret (they are posted on the net) it just allows you to unlock the G1 skins early.

GR81 says:

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan
    Another question . . . is that free movie ticket promotion only in the states? I never got anything with mine.
    I finally got mine yesterday at WalMart...exchange Mario Party for it.
    The game came with a free canadian "movie pass" for Transformers witch is found inside the book instruction.

So, the game actually cost $50 instead of the reg $60 since i am planning to take the GF and see Transformers the movie.

I didnt play the game yet markatisu but i will give u my impression the moment i get a chance...cought !!! cought !!! Tonight.

Oh, dude....it was a pain to find this game...no store had it until a certain walmart did on thursday. The WM next to me didnt have it so did the long trip to finnaly get it.

Question: my wii is set to 16/9 widescreen mode but my sony widescreen display signal says its video source is 480p 4:3 ... is this normal?

There is a warning msg from the wii telling u to be sure to set tv in widesceen when choosing 16/9 mode. my sony tv is set to 'wide full' in order to view on the entire screen.

When i play a 16/9 movie, i set the dvd player on wide mode and the tv source is 16/9.

Just wanna be sure i am trully playing my 16/9 wii game correctly and not scretching the image.

HELP!
    Last edited by GR81; June 29, 2007 at 11:26pm.
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GR81 View Post
    There is a warning msg from the wii telling u to be sure to set tv in widesceen when choosing 16/9 mode. my sony tv is set to 'wide full' in order to view on the entire screen.

When i play a 16/9 movie, i set the dvd player on wide mode and the tv source is 16/9
    What are the options your TV has, each TV is different but if the Wii is set to 16/9 then it should be outputting in that. Make sure you have it set to the 480p as well. Some people forget to do it

GR81 let me know what you think about it

I finally found TF as well (for rent anyway) and I played the first 3 missions, LOVE THIS GAME!!

The cinematics are over compressed (which is a shame) but thats a problem on all versions (no doubt due to rushing) and its amazing how the game can switch from in game cinematics to actual gameplay on the fly (anyone who has fought Barricade knows what I mean) but this is one of the first Wii games that LOOKS like a Wii game should look, or at least approaches a last gen GC game. I was just struck in awe by how fluid Bumblebee looks and how crisp and clean the game is. The environment is not greatly detailed but you will be looking too much at the Transformers to care, the shadows and lighting set a great mood. My only complaint was the forests could use some work, it seems like they passed on environment detail in order to make it all destructible.

I am having a blast though, being able to transform on the fly is too cool. For a movie licensed game this one completely rocks. Its repetitive (I can see that in the first 3 chapters) and will probably be super short but I dont care.

I changed the camera sensitivity to low to get used to it (I recommend everyone do this if you have any camera problems), it controls camera wise similar to a FPS but you also use the wiimote to aim the sight at the target (with z locking on) at the same time so it does take probably a chapter or two to get used to it.

But the ign review and the other reviews I think were dead wrong, I mean its not a fleshed out super long adventure game, its a fun beat em up. It plays similar to Robotech Battlecry (and the mecha transformations are about the same) meets GTA.

I got mine at the Real Canadian Superstore. No movie ticket to be found. GR81, did you buy Harry Potter or Transformers?

Anyways, I played some more of HP and it's a solid game. I'm exploring more and more of the castle for the most part, not paying much attention to the storyline or what I'm actually supposed to be doing. It is really huge, and there are still a bunch of doors that are locked. I never know where I'm going and I still did not come close to roaming around all the places that I can go. I'm really enjoying this feature of the game. However, the game itself might be a bit short. I'm 22% done the story and found 23% of the "secrets" and rewards. Considering I haven't really played much of the story, I'm thinking it might be short. Otherwise, things are looking good.

There are a few things that could be improved though. First, the menus look nice and all (like newspapers), but it wasn't really designed for the Wii-mote. It is more of a ps3/xbox360 type menu since the options are very small and hard to point at and some of the in-game menus (Mauraders map) have you using the D-pad. You can use the pointer too, but it seems it was designed for the other consoles, and they never changed it for the wii. Minor gripe, but it should be improved next time.

Another thing is that although the castle itself is massive, it appears to be at a smaller scale than it should. For instance, the Gryffindor common room is tiny when compared to the movie. This goes for just about every place. It is very crowded in general due to the small rooms. If they just made the whole castle more to scale, it would be better. It doesn't help that Hermione and Ron are in the way when you are circling in tight corners. This again though, is a minor gripe. It's still huge and very satisfying.

Finally, the camera can get on your nerves a bit. It would be nice if there was a button that lets you see in first person like Zelda. Aside from the wand controls though, this is not a Wii game.

I think I may have overhyped it in my mind, with the wait for the review on IGN and then waiting even longer for the game to arrive in stores after the 25th. I think IGN scored it just about right. A pretty good game with a few problems, but would appeal to the Potter fan. I'd give this about an 8, but I think you need to be a Potter fan to really appreciate it.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I disagree, though I'm becoming annoyed as many of the things that I don't like about PC gaming are starting to effect console gaming.

The problem with computers/PCs is that you constantly have to upgrade this type of memory or this RAM or this video card, etc, etc, etc. in order to use the most current games. And even then, the performance isn't always consistent from one computer to another. Then there's the issue of the game conflicting with some other program that you already have on your computer or something, which can happen on occasion, and it just becomes a big mess.

In general, what I like about console gaming, is that if I have X console, and a buy a game that's made to be played on X console, then I am pretty much set to go. There may be some basic peripherals to get initially (controllers, memory cards if applicable, etc), and sure, the occasional game may have it's own special peripheral (and in most cases, it is well known/advertised that this extra peripheral is needed, and in many cases comes with the game).

The only problem now is that as it's becoming more and more common to go online with gaming consoles, now people are downloading things, getting firmware upgrades, etc, and this could be a possible problem. There have already been occasions (in the case of Xbox 360) where some downloads have caused problems and even turned the systems into "bricks".

Then there's the issue of Hard Drive space, which will become more and more prominent as more and more things are being downloaded. Xbox 360 already came out with the upgrade Elite system with the 120 gig Hard Drive (and now that HD is being sold separately for people with the older system). So, now upgrading memory, etc, is going to become more prevelant.

And I'm sure as time goes on, we will find more problems with software stored on the hard drive conflicting with other software. And it probably won't be too long before worrying about viruses on our gaming systems will become an issue, then we'll be forced to buy anti-viruses for them and keep updating them. But then the anti-virus will likely conflict with some other software and cause problems, thus defeating the whole purpose of having an anti-virus to keep the machine safe and working properly. And the problems will just go from there.
    But PC upgradability is also what makes it so good. You don't have to chuck the rig. Year one you buy/build the rig. Year two maybe you do ram. Year three you change the video card, maybe year four the processor, then you rebuild. You also learn more about computer hardware, how it works, and how to tweak your system to best run your games. And you DON'T need to buy a $6000 Watercooled, rig with quadcore, and quad SLI video cards to play games. Sure if you have to be the type who brags about one extra frame per second maybe you may wish to if you've got the disposable income. but you don't HAVE to. Starting out with an $800 - $1400 parts list is usually more than adequate. You can repurpose that old monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, printer, gamepad, etc. for even more savings.
    And before people bash on the cost of a pc capable of gaming let's look at consoles. You pay $250, $500, or $600 for the system. For the latter two you figure you've got to add at least another $50 for a game to play.
    Now factor in the extra controllers, Memory cards, and such.
    Do you want to play High def? (Something even a relatively old PC monitor already does) now add between $700 - $4000 to your cost for a new TV depending on your budget. You've spent as much for a console set up (Except maybe in the case of the Wii) as a PC. The difference being you can CHOOSE to upgrade the PC annually depending on your budget. AND a PC game is SCALEABLE. So when Unreal Tournament III comes out, if I can't afford a card this year, I can play the game with visuals about on par with the console version until I can afford to go to DX10 visuals (Which actually start at under $100). As much as I love my consoles, after 5 years they're pretty much only good for the standout titles I've kept, and that's it. And many people (Foolishly I might add) Get rid of their old system when getting a next gen system. So unlike a PC where I can repurpose old parts in a low end case to give to that aunt who "Only goes to QVC" and she'll love it, An old console to many people (Except last min late bloomers who rarely go to an actual store to buy games) is sloppy seconds. Remember how scorned your kid sibling felt when you got the Super Nintendo, but they got stuck with the NES? Before long they'll pawn it for credit toward the Wii/360/PS3

Look I'm not hating on consoles. I'm a multiplatform gamer. But I hate the whole idea of segmenting the gaming population between computer gamers, and console gamers. or PC/Console/Console/Console/Handheld/Handheld A game is a video game no matter what platform it's on.
    Some types of games like RTS, Simulation, FPS, and MMO's work better on PC's, while other genres like Fighting are better suited to consoles.
    Others like racing, sports, adventures, and traditional RPGs can be done equally well on both. That's not to say Console fans won't like shooters, or get one that's good or fun but when one sees how much more community surrounds PC games like UT3 they're going to want that to sprout up on their end.

Ultimately PC gaming isn't dying or going away. As long as it's possible to make games on a platform, a company will do it. Plus in many ways Consoles are BECOMING PC's. Closed proprietary computers mind you but they are.
    Let's also remember that all of those great console games are made on the PC.

It all boils down to the fact that in either instance your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness. For PC only gamers that's the upgrade path which applies to not only gaming but everything else the computer is used for. For consoles it's that unilateral closed ease of use hardware. Sure Game X will run on every PS3, but don't expect to be playing Game X2 on it in three years. But At least the PC version runs at 640x480 with 16 bit textures for those who can't upgrade for another six months.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Ultimately PC gaming isn't dying or going away. As long as it's possible to make games on a platform, a company will do it. Plus in many ways Consoles are BECOMING PC's. Closed proprietary computers mind you but they are.
    Let's also remember that all of those great console games are made on the PC.
    That is a good point, the Xbox line (Xbox 1 and 360) were essentially PC's. Its how a lot of 360 games can be easily ported to the PC.

I used to be a diehard PC gamer but when FPS, Squad games (like Rainbow Six) and MMO took over I got out. I am a adventure game/puzzle game kind of person (Grim Fandango, Kings Quest, Gabriel Knight, etc) and a RPG (Ultima) and while they still make those games for PC in some fashions its just not the same as the 90's when I really enjoyed and looked forward to the selection.

Heroic Warrior
    GR81 says:

Question: my wii is set to 16/9 widescreen mode but my sony widescreen display signal says its video source is 480p 4:3 ... is this normal?

When i play a 16/9 movie, i set the dvd player on wide mode and the tv source is 16/9.

Just wanna be sure i am trully playing my 16/9 wii game correctly and not scretching the image.

HELP!
    That's the same problem I have! I've got the Wii settings at widescreen, but the tv shows that a 4:3 signal is being output. My only option is to set the tv to 4:3 widescreen, and the image basically looks correct, but I feel like it's stretching the image, because now the wiimote doesn't feel as responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    The problem with computers/PCs is that you constantly have to upgrade this type of memory or this RAM or this video card, etc, etc, etc.
    I disagree with this because I don't believe it's entirely true. My computer is 4+ years old and I haven't upgraded a thing. I can STILL play 99% of the games, and to date, I've only found 2 games that I can't play: Serious Sam 2 and Hitman Blood Money. And soon, it will be time to upgrade the 5 year old computer and, if you think about it, a next gen console comes out every 3-5 years.

I will agree, however, that the beauty of consoles is that you put in the disc and go --- no need to install anything.

BTW, nicely said, TheDeviot!

Hiji
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

GR81 says:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobubott View Post
    That's the same problem I have! I've got the Wii settings at widescreen, but the tv shows that a 4:3 signal is being output. My only option is to set the tv to 4:3 widescreen, and the image basically looks correct, but I feel like it's stretching the image, because now the wiimote doesn't feel as responsive.
    So your in the same boat as me bro...but i honestly feel its normal and everybody is like this (unless somebody can tell us that the TV does displays on screen a 16:9 message on screen for the Wii set to widescreen and a 4:3 set to normal).

I say this cuz when i set the Wii to normal view and leave my tv settings to "widescreen full", the image is nasty and stretch....while 16:9 mode turns out beautifully. I think this is how Nintendo wanted it to work, thus the warning msg when u switch screen mode.

PanMan, sorry dude, i tought the free movie pass u were refering was for Transformers. That is the game i have.

markatisu, you got to buy the TF game dude...I also played the first 3 mission and loved it. Man, total destruction baby!!!

I agree with everybody when it comes to the moving screen and all, but i set my sensativity to low and its not to bad, pusing "-" a few times to center the picture. Its really too bad the cinematics arent looking sweet, but gameplay graphics are awesome.

Finally, a game , since Zelda: TP, worth the GR81 approval, and you know me markatisu, i am very picky on my games. Its just too bad there is no multi-player experience...It would of made a BIG difference for me.

I found like over 20 cubes, thus unlocking something in the bonus area, but when i go check, nothing is unlocked....what am i doing wrong? My profile is loaded and all.

GR81 says:

So your in the same boat as me bro...but i honestly feel its normal and everybody is like this (unless somebody can tell us that the TV does displays on screen a 16:9 message on screen for the Wii set to widescreen and a 4:3 set to normal).

I say this cuz when i set the Wii to normal view and leave my tv settings to "widescreen full", the image is nasty and stretch....while 16:9 mode turns out beautifully. I think this is how Nintendo wanted it to work, thus the warning msg when u switch screen mode.

PanMan, sorry dude, i tought the free movie pass u were refering was for Transformers. That is the game i have.

markatisu, you got to buy the TF game dude...I also played the first 3 mission and loved it. Man, total destruction baby!!!

I agree with everybody when it comes to the moving screen and all, but i set my sensativity to low and its not to bad, pusing "-" a few times to center the picture. Its really too bad the cinematics arent looking sweet, but gameplay graphics are awesome.

Finally, a game , since Zelda: TP, worth the GR81 approval, and you know me markatisu, i am very picky on my games. Its just too bad there is no multi-player experience...It would of made a BIG difference for me.

I found like over 20 cubes, thus unlocking something in the bonus area, but when i go check, nothing is unlocked....what am i doing wrong? My profile is loaded and all.
    Well you have to remember too that not ALL Wii games are designed for 16:9
    Some (Especially ports from PS2) are only made to run 4:3. So those will look stretched whether you run the console in 16:9 or if you set your TV to zoom or stretch to kibosh the black bars on either side.

Another thing to remember folks is to check the game info about that. Some games ARE designed to run in widescreen. Heck even SCII on the Gamecube had that option in it's own menu. So check the options "In Game" I'd bet in the options you'd see that listed in many titles

Finally if you're playing the Wii on an HDTV for the love of God BUY COMPONENT CABLES, and YES they make them for THE WII.
    The games will upscale to 480P, and look nicer with less grain.
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

GR81 says:

Your right Deviot.
    I am not 100% sure the Transformers game is 16:9...tought i read somewhere it was...cuz it aint saying in the box, nor is there any options.

But all i know is Zelda TP is 16:9 on the wii and my tv is still displaying the 4:3 msg on screen, with component 480p cables and widescreen screen settings.

If somebody does have Zelda TP or any other 16:9 Wii game and their TV does show a "16:9" signal message on screen when playing the game, it would be intriguing to know.

GR81 says:

Your right Deviot.
    I am not 100% sure the Transformers game is 16:9...tought i read somewhere it was...cuz it aint saying in the box, nor is there any options.

But all i know is Zelda TP is 16:9 on the wii and my tv is still displaying the 4:3 msg on screen, with component 480p cables and widescreen screen settings.

If somebody does have Zelda TP or any other 16:9 Wii game and their TV does show a "16:9" signal message on screen when playing the game, it would be intriguing to know.
    Have you set your TV to 480p? Some TV's don't auto configure just because you use component cables.
    The Deviot

-?

GR81 says:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Have you set your TV to 480p? Some TV's don't auto configure just because you use component cables.
    My tv displays the 480p signal...what its not displaying is the 16:9 signal, always 4:3.

It would seem to be normal ...look at this link. The Wii is using a "fake" 16:9 format. When set to widescreen mode, the image is tall and skinny. You need to set your TV to "Wide Full" mode in order to stretch the picture horizontally to fill the screen. So a 4:3 display msg will always be shown.
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...ng-16-9-a.html

Also, i just found this link and on the users Sony TV, it displays a 16:9 signal, maybe because of the receiver witch the wii is plugged into. My Wii is connected directly to my TV.
    http://www.freewebs.com/wii1080p/
    Last edited by GR81; July 1, 2007 at 01:56pm.

I just checked my Olevia 332H and TF is displaying in 16:9. The best game to test the Wii WS on is Resident Evil 4, it was specifically designed for 16:9 and should be a good indicator of whether your TV is setup correctly. Maybe you could rent it?

TF is just awesome, I am Ironhide now and besides the cinematics looking more like preview ones (like they did not add the final polish) the in game graphics are just stunning!

Once you learn how to control the camera its a great game