Page 102 of 351 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 8774

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...jsp#widescreen

Also note that the Wii settings also have a submenu where you have to TELL the Wii you have an EDTV or HDTV. So make sure it isn't just the 16:9 you've set.

I was at a Gamestop today,and I brought it up, and no one there has had a problem at home or even with the Samsung HDTV built into the kiosk

The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Virtual Console update:

WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLASSIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

July 2, 2007

This week the Wii Shop Channel is all about a healthy diet. Grab lots of vegetables, drink plenty of water and top it off with some eggs. As an appetizer, might we recommend starting with Super Mario Bros. 2™, a delicious morsel starring everyone's favorite plumber. But in this game, players can control three other characters as well. As an entrée, try the dolphin. Not to eat, of course, but to play. Ecco™: The Tides of Time is a swimmingly fun underwater adventure. Finally, let a multi-headed dragon help you cleanse your palate in DRAGON SPIRIT™. This week is a veritable feast of delicious games.

Three new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES®, 1 player, rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Join Mario™, Luigi, Princess Toadstool and Toad in an incredible fantasy world on a quest to save the day. This time, they have little more than vegetables to defend themselves with. Pick up items and throw them at your adversaries to clear levels in seven massive worlds. Even enemies can be picked up and tossed across the screen. Each character has a unique set of abilities: Luigi can jump higher and farther than any of the other characters, Toad can dig extremely fast and pull items out of the ground quicker than anyone and the princess is the only one who can jump and hover temporarily. This unique installment in the Mario series will keep you coming back for more.

Ecco: The Tides of Time (Sega Genesis, 1 player, rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): In this sequel to Ecco the Dolphin, everyone's favorite underwater hero must battle the Vortex Queen and her hive of drones. The wicked queen followed Ecco back to Earth from the future and quickly established her hive. It's up to Ecco to defeat this alien threat by navigating the depths of his side-scrolling world, solving puzzles and receiving help from his marine-mammal friends. When Ecco used the time machine to save his pod, he split the stream of time in two. He must now restore the rift before the world is permanently changed into a mechanical world, sucked dry by the Vortex.

DRAGON SPIRIT (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 600 Wii Points): A fantastic world of adventure unfolds in this vertical-scrolling shooter. Sealed away by the gods long ago, the Evil Demon of Darkness, Zawell, seeks to rise again and unleash a new reign of evil. The brave warrior Amur races to rescue Princess Alicia from the demon's wretched clutches. Amur takes the form of the legendary Blue Dragon and fights his way through the legions of monsters that await in the sky. Battle your way through eight different areas, using your Dragon Breath to bring down airborne targets and Fireballs to wipe out targets on the ground. Destroy flashing enemies and smash Eggs to uncover different kinds of power-up items. Boost your firepower by increasing the number of heads your dragon has, and defeat all the bosses as you make your way to Zawell's dark lair.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

GR81 says:

Bro's, your missing my dilema, or maybe its cuz i am not explaining myself right.

My Wii is set to "EDTV or HDTV" to output 480p for TV resolution
    My Wii is set to "Widescreen" to output a wider image.

With those settings, my Sony TV is giving me the correct result. I am playing under a 480p graphic and a wide image. Everything is ok.

When i push the "display" button on my remote, it displays output information on the screen. With the above settings, it will display me "480p 4:3". There is my tick. I am presuming i should see "480p 16:9".

If i play with the tv resolution, switching from 480p to 480i, my tv will give me "480i 4:3". So the tv resolution output is correctly recognized.

But weither i choose "Standard" or "Widescreen" in the Widescreen Settings of the Wii, i will always get "480i 4:3" or "480p 4:3". BUT again, the image on screen is indeed set to display a wide image.

So i am playing Zelda and TF in 16:9, 480p. I am guessing since it aint real "16:9", my Sony tv will always give me the 4:3 info.

It could be a problem only on a particular Sony model, cuz users in this thread have describe the same situation as me.

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...ng-16-9-a.html

And the note on the Nintendo is probably related to me
    Please note that in addition to using the Wii's setting, you must also adjust your television's options to take advantage of its own widescreen mode. Some television sets will not change to widescreen display even when receiving widescreen input from the Wii console.
    I have to set my TV to "wide full" in order to view correctly the wider image. But with whatever option i choose on my TV, pushing display on my remote will always give me "4:3".
    Last edited by GR81; July 2, 2007 at 09:48am.
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GR81 View Post
    So i am playing Zelda and TF in 16:9, 480p. I am guessing since it aint real "16:9", my Sony tv will always give me the 4:3 info.

It could be a problem only on a particular Sony model, cuz users in this thread have describe the same situation as me.

I have to set my TV to "wide full" in order to view correctly the wider image. But with whatever option i choose on my TV, pushing display on my remote will always give me "4:3".
    I am guessing its just your model of TV, as you mentioned others have had similar issues and seem to give a pretty good understanding of how to setup your TV.

"Fake 16:9" is kind of misleading though, the Wii is outputting in 16:9 when playing games like Zelda TP and Resident Evil 4 and not stretched 4:3 (to me that is the difference, is it stretched 4:3 or not).

On my Olevia it just tells me its 480p and I know everything looks proportionate and clear. I know when I watch digital cable its 1080i and the analog and digital stations are stretched because I can change the setting to Aspect Ratio and see that they are 4:3 (with black bars on the sides) but when I do that with the Wii it stays Widescreen. That matches the HD channels I have that are in WS when I hit Aspect Ratio as well.

That is weird though, like I said before one of the only surefire ways to know if the Wii is setup correctly is to play RE4 Wii, thats the only game I know off that specifically is widescreened and obvious if its being played on 4:3.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

GR81 says:

I need to try RE4.
    Unfortunently, playing Zelda still tell me that its "4:3", even tought its clear it aint. I see a lot more trees in wide mode than standard.
    And by setting my tv to the correct wide mode "wide full", the image is beautiful.

Anyways, ill live with the fact that its displays "4:3" info since others have the same issue (if u wanna call it an issue).

markatisu, my friend, buy transformers the game baby
    Last edited by GR81; July 2, 2007 at 03:33pm.

I just downloaded Super Mario Bros 2 today. I never finished the game before (because I didn't own it, but I have played it before), so now's the time. Glad it came out.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Is it an exact emulation of the NES version of Super Mario 2 (as opposed to the SNES All-Stars version)?

Hmmm... I wonder if the silly little music glitch trick that I discovered on the original version will still work.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

GR81 says:

I need to try RE4.markatisu, my friend, buy transformers the game baby
    I did

I LOVE that game, its just too fun to pickup and play for no reason. I mean I am not even trying to beat the thing! I just turn it on, load up the missions with Ironhide or Jazz (thats as far as I have gotten lol) and get my tension from working all the time off by just beating the living hell out of things.

I was not sold on the TF designs but ever since I got the game I am finding myself wanting to buy a Jazz and Ironhide toy
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I need to throw a small random question out real fast. Does anyone know ways to back up data from your 360 onto your PC? I thought I rememered seeing some accessory you could buy at one point but I dunno... I also don't want to go out and buy a 60 dollar memory card just to transfer data, especially when you can use Windows Media Connect, or a jump drive. Suggestions/thoughts/ideas????
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Is it an exact emulation of the NES version of Super Mario 2 (as opposed to the SNES All-Stars version)?

Hmmm... I wonder if the silly little music glitch trick that I discovered on the original version will still work.
    Yup, it's the NES version. And what music trick are you talking about?
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Yup, it's the NES version. And what music trick are you talking about?
    This is something that I accidentally stumbled upon years ago, and I don't know if it's ever been published in any magazines as a trick you can do (if it ever was, I am unaware of it). And I think it is more of a glitch, as I have only gotten it to work on the original NES version (and I think once on an ROM emulating the original NES version). It does not work on the SNES All-Stars version or Super Mario Advance for GBA.

Okay, this is basically a trick to make the original Super Mario Bros. theme song play in a regular level.

In theory, you should be able to do this in any world where there is an abundance of cherries, but I find this to be easiest in the very first level (1-1).

First, pick up one of the potion bottles (the ones that turn into doors when you drop them), but do not drop it right away. While holding it, make your way through the level collecting as many cherries as possible. After collecting so many cherries, and invincibility star will appear.

You want to drop the potion to make the door, grab the star, and then go into the door (You can grab the star and then drop the bottle, the order doesn't matter, but you want to do it all as quickly as possible).

Now, as you probably know, the music inside of the potion doors in that reverse world or whatever is the original Super Mario music.

After entering, keep standing by the door while invincible. As the invincibility begins to wear off, go back through the door again, back to the normal level.

If you time it right, this should cause a glitch that makes the original Super Mario theme, as it sounds inside the potion door, play in the regular level.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the music is already changing back from the invinibility music to whatever the normal music is. I think by passing through the door as that is occurring, it causes a glitch that makes it think the music inside of the reverse world is what should be the normal music, even though you are now back in the regular level.

You have to time it just right. You want to do it as the power is wearing off. If you do it too early or too late, it won't work. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to do.

This is all assuming that it will still work in this downloadable version. But if it is an exact translation of the NES game, it should.

Now, this music will only remain as long as you stay in the area that you are already in. Once you pass through a door, climb up a vine to another area, etc., the music will go back to whatever it should be at that point.

It's kind of pointless, but just fun to mess around with.

GR81 says:

markatisu, this thread is slowly dying...do something

You know, nobody answered me about the bonus thing in TF.
    When i collected over 10 cubes, the game told me i unlocked something, but yet when i go into the bonus section, profile loaded, everything is still locked.

Normal?

GR81 says:

markatisu, this thread is slowly dying...do something
    Well what do you want game news? sales? I felt people might get tired of my rambling so I laid off some

You know, nobody answered me about the bonus thing in TF.
    When i collected over 10 cubes, the game told me i unlocked something, but yet when i go into the bonus section, profile loaded, everything is still locked.

Normal?
    Do you have autosave turned on? Sometimes I have found you have to finish the entire chapter or anything you have got during that chapter ends up not being saved. I collected 2 Autobot symbols and then decided to quit and it said autosave but did not credit me with those. Next time I finished the chapter and it saved them.

To anyone else who has played, I am having a heck of a time surviving as Ironhide when trying to save Jazz. It seems I can get to the near end but I am getting hit by drones, helicopters and just getting my butt handed to me (and loving it btw).

I also finally got so used to camera I was able to adjust the sensitivity to high and not have the thing go all over, guess like other Wii games it just takes practice and patience to learn how to control it correctly. Like the TF movie I cant say enough great things about the game, it has its faults (and they are quite big like the really poopy cinematics) but it is one game I am very happy to own on the Wii.

GR81 says:

Game news and sales are always cool to read my friend.

As for the bonus, i have yet collected Autobot logos, just the cubes.
    I havent played since saturday since i didnt want to get spoiled before seeing the movie.

Oh, i was at a near by fleetmarket and one guy was selling Winder Waker witch came with Ocarina of Time and OOTL Master Quest for 35$. It was used so no way i am paying that mush for used stuff. If it was the collectors edition, maybe...

But with everything out in the VC, its not worth it. Once they put Majora's mask, ill download all the Zelda's games and turn my Wii into a pro Zelda environnement.

Question: Can you delete a VC game on the Wii...and if so, can you redownload it without having to pay again for it?
    Last edited by GR81; July 5, 2007 at 12:23pm.

GR81 says:

Game news and sales are always cool to read my friend.

As for the bonus, i have yet collected Autobot logos, just the cubes.
    I havent played since saturday since i didnt want to get spoiled before seeing the movie
    Well I can tell you this, I have only played the first and second campaigns (I am currently in More than Meets the Eye with Ironhide) and so far it is nothing like the movie lol

I mean the core story is the same but the events do not unfold as seen in the game...at least so far. I read they did this by design so that you would not get the movie ruined

Ironhide is just too darn cool though, he was my new favorite after playing the game and then when I saw him in the movie he became my new favorite all together.

As for news, its entirely pro-Wii and mainly because Sony and Microsoft are waiting for E3 to release much news:

RE Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii confirmed to have multiplayer in game!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160791

Pics of 2 player mode: http://img130.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_194lo.jpg
    http://www.largeimagehost.com/img/Re...983lo.jpg.html

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii has been confirmed to feature a 2-player coop mode in the latest issue of Japanese publication Weekly Famitsu.

The game will feature situations where players will use explosives such as grenades or shooting barrels and cars in the background to kill multiple zombies at once. Selecting different players will also change the starting point of the game. For example, selecting Rebecca will begin in the train cars similar to Resident Evil 0.

Umbrella Chronicles covers the untold stories of the Umbrella corporation that was featured throughout majority of the Resident Evil series. So far, confirmed selectable players are Jill and Chris from Resident Evil 1, and Rebecca and Billy from Resident Evil 0.
    - Nintendo revealed that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii will be released in US on August 27, 2007, the game will not have online multiplayer modes. Retro decided to focus entirely on the main game and said multiplayer detracted from their focus in MP2 and that they did not the trilogy to end with anything but greatness.

- Nintendo announced they have sold 550,000 copies of Mario Party 8 for Wii in US

Here are the latest Japanese console hardware sales for the week of June 18 - 24, 2007:

Console/Weekly sales/Yearly sales

NDS Lite - 163,888 [3,811,792]
    Wii - 65,682 [1,880,833]
    PSP - 32,984 [1,044,842]
    PlayStation 2 - 11,962 [404,057]
    PlayStation 3 - 9,581 [481,017]
    Xbox 360 - 3,369 [115,429]
    GB Micro - 284 [21,399]
    GBA SP - 130 [18,460]
    GameCube - 82 [8,308]
    NDS - 30 [2,246]

-Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass sold 300,000 copies in Japan in 2 days

-Variety Asia reported that the top three Japanese game publishers are redirecting their development resources from Sony and Microsoft platforms to Nintendo's. Bandai Namco will increase Nintendo platform development by 109% to 115 titles; Sega will increase support by 96% to 49 titles this year; and Capcom will increase 5% to 20 titles.

- Variety Asia mentioned that Nintendo expects to ship 26.8 million units of Wii, Nintendo DS and GameBoy Advance software in the 2007 financial year, comparing to only 23.3 million units of software for PS3/PS2/PSP platforms.

-Bowsers Final Smash revealed in SSBB as a controllable monster

First real images of Nights for Wii, it looks great!:

http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_702lo.jpg
    http://img167.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_172lo.jpg

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Wow, those Nights screens look like a big improvement from the other screens I've seen, but that doesn't say much...I'm still skeptical of game....it looks like a 1st gen PS2 game.

Bowser looks amazing! And they also updated with some of Mario's moves (and it controls!

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Wow, those Nights screens look like a big improvement from the other screens I've seen, but that doesn't say much...I'm still skeptical of game....it looks like a 1st gen PS2 game.
    I think by the time it gets released it will look good, Sonic for Wii looked really nice so you would hope they put a bit more effort into Nights (given the 11 year wait since the original), but it is Sega and that is always a wild card on how much care they put

Bowser looks amazing! And they also updated with some of Mario's moves (and it controls!)
    I agree, this is going to be the game to get on the Wii I think, I mean being able to use any of 4 controllers (Wiimote, W/N, Classic, Gamecube) and then how forceful your attack is being based on how hard you move the stick

By pressing and holding the attack button during a smash attack, you can build up power. Power up and unleash it when the time is right!

Here is something that some here might find interesting, SCIV updated pics

http://www.tg-media.net/anime_lover/img017.jpg
    http://www.tg-media.net/anime_lover/img018.jpg

And Metroid Prime 3 is looking good, comes out in about 1 month

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...2063405047.jpg

Rest of the pics here: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/imgs_1.html

And last but not least, Sony claims its here to stay (as if we ever doubted that)

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=120208

“We developed the PS3 as a hardware that lasts for decades and believe we are in a marathon rather than a sprint. With that said, SCE will accelerate the expansion of the PS3 platform over the next several months by offering a rich lineup of attractive software titles and pursuing own promotional activities as a platform holder.” company spokesperson Nanako Kato said when asked by GamePro why the system was being outsold by rival Wii 6 to 1 in Japan.

GR81 says:

Question: Can you delete a VC game on the Wii...and if so, can you redownload it without having to pay again for it?
    yes - go to the Wii settings/data menu, and go to channels. Click what you want, and choose to erase it. If you ever want to download it again, you will not be charged. On the shop screens, downloaded content appears as downloaded, and you can re-download for free. Although if you have an SD card, you can always transfer your VC games to that and just copy them back to the system if you ever want to replay them. At least that way you don't have to wait forever to get connected to the Shop Channel.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Now those are the sorts of video games consoles excel at, the platform game!

X-Box 360 woes cost MS $1Billion

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Thats not really news, I mean its too little too late in my opinion since the problems that they are having to repair have been around since launch 1 year ago.

I feel no sympathy for MS either, they released the elite with the same problems that plagued the basic and premium systems and expected nobody to notice.

There are several websites that catalog people on their 10th and 11th 360, the repairs do not work and wont be worthy until they change the board or get the small chip. I myself have held off buying a 360 because my friend is on his 3rd and his friend is on his 4th, that is just too much of a potential headache for me.

Sony should take note, if there was ever a time to pounce on MS it would be now, especially with E3 coming up and a plethora of PS3 games finally (almost 8 months after launch) coming out.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Thats not really news, I mean its too little too late in my opinion since the problems that they are having to repair have been around since launch 1 year ago.

I feel no sympathy for MS either, they released the elite with the same problems that plagued the basic and premium systems and expected nobody to notice.

There are several websites that catalog people on their 10th and 11th 360, the repairs do not work and wont be worthy until they change the board or get the small chip. I myself have held off buying a 360 because my friend is on his 3rd and his friend is on his 4th, that is just too much of a potential headache for me.

Sony should take note, if there was ever a time to pounce on MS it would be now, especially with E3 coming up and a plethora of PS3 games finally (almost 8 months after launch) coming out.
    Yeah, this is way worse than the DRE on the PS2. I don't remember which podcast it was, but someone said the failure rate of the 360 was a little over 30%....yes, 30%!!!!!!!!

That is crazy. I am amazingly surprised that no class action lawsuit has been filed...otherwise, I'd totally be behind it. Everyone's 360 is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off...literally, it's a matter of time before the console dies.

EDIT: Apologies...I actually read the linked article this time and I read the article on IGN. I'm pleasantly surprised that Microsoft is expanding the warranty. NOW, may be I might just buy another 360. I mean, I've wanted a replacement one since mine broke, but I was scared of it dying again. Now that they are expanding the warranties (3 years), and with the Best Buy warranty, I can have the satisfaction of knowing I'll be okay.

If there is a price drop or some type of new configuration, I'd be even happier.

EDIT: Second edit...looks like the price drop for PS3 is official. http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ricecutcw8.jpg Now, my question is, is it enough because I'm 99.9% sure Microsoft will follow with their own price drop. Will YOU buy a PS3 for $499?? Does it make a difference? We already had a PS3 that was $499...but does the extras help?
    Last edited by hemanrep; July 6, 2007 at 02:50am.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Second edit...looks like the price drop for PS3 is official. http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ricecutcw8.jpg Now, my question is, is it enough because I'm 99.9% sure Microsoft will follow with their own price drop. Will YOU buy a PS3 for $499?? Does it make a difference? We already had a PS3 that was $499...but does the extras help?
    Still too expensive till a lot of games come out, I mean its biggest selling point to me its a cheap blu-ray player but this past weekend I saw Blu-Ray players for under $300 (used and display).

When you factor in the 2nd controller and a game you are still back at the $500-600 price point.

They should have included a demo disc or some PS2 game I think, they make money hand over fist with the PS2 and I think a pack in would really start moving them.

Though on the PR side I wonder how Sony will spin this, it just looks bad since they were saying they may consider dropping the price at christmas and here were are not even in August or Sept and they are dropping it

Here is some good news for PS3 in Australia, these are sales figs from Apr-June

Nintendo DS - 74,435 / 589,873
    PlayStation 2 - 45,492 / 2,052,193
    PlayStation 3 - 27,645 / 54,728
    Nintendo Wii - 26,676 / 106,538
    Xbox 360 - 21,440 / 181.561
    PlayStation Portable - 20,068 / 288,757

The PS3 is beating the Wii by about 1000 and 360 by 6200 units, the downside is that 360 has a 3x lead and Wii has a 2x so it will take many more months of more than 10,000 to eat away. That is still crazy to me because isnt the PS3 like $1000 in Aus?

I saw a report on the news this morning about the 1 Billion cost for Microsoft to fix the 360s.

The thing that is really annoying is how long they kept claiming the 3% to 5% of systems having the problem, when clearly it is a lot more than that.

What makes me mad is that their solution is an 'extended warranty'. That's really not good enough.

What they need to do is create some alternative to the parts that keep failing, and if anyone with an older system experiences failure, they should replace it with the newer, corrected system, at no cost, regardless of 'warranty'.

As for the PS3 price drop... that is definately a step in the right direction. It's still too rich for my blood, but in the next year to a year and a half, if another similar price drop happens, then it will be tempting.
    That's a pretty crappy solution to an otherwise terrible problem.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    That is still crazy to me because isnt the PS3 like $1000 in Aus?
    Well, considering that when I was working in Australia, a PS2/XBOX game was close to 100AUD it's not as expensive as you think. One thousand dollars sounds a lot, but it's really not when you look at the basic cost of living there and compare the exchange rates.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.