Page 106 of 351 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Highlights from the Nintendo E3 conference (updating as info hits)
    • Sales for Wii and DS are ridiculously high (which most people knew)
    • Wii Zapper coming shortly $19, playable this week with RE Umbrella Chronicles
    • EA's Medal of Honor for the Wii supports zapper and online 32 person multiplayer!
    • Super Smash Bros Brawl U.S. on Dec. 3 2007!!!
    • Wii Wheel coming, can use in Mario Kart Wii
    • Check Mii Out - New Channel
    • Mario Kart Wii announced, with online confirmed for Q1-Q2 2008
    • Guitar Hero III: Legends for Wii confirmed to have online play and content
    • Super Mario Galaxy U.S on November 12 2007!!
    • Wii Fit announced (interesting concept and will surely sell)

Mario Galaxy Bee Suit

No confirmation that SSBB would be online makes me somewhat sad, however its still a few months till its release so it might not be something they wanted to announce (or it could just be plain missing).

But kudos to Nintendo, while it was boring (no doubt for the press to be able to take it all in) they did not just repeat Gamers Day and show us stuff we had seen over and over (for the most part).

The Medal of Honor series going online is a good step, it joins several other games set for online (Dragonball, Mario Strikers, All of EA's sports games). It seems like more and more developers are intending to use the online function which for a company who basically banned online access last gen is a good first start imho.

It seems they are really riding the "casual games route" so it will be interesting to see what happens in Jan when all 3 big games for the "hardcore" audience are out, Mario Kart Wii so far is the only game announced for 2008 that would really appeal to a "hardcore" audience.

Nintendo could have easily come out, shown their 3 games and let EA show games, talked about their sales and left, I am sure none of us would have been the least bit shocked.

People are going to be *****ing and moaning up and down about Wii Fit but it will sell and sell big, my wife will want one (I know she will) and I suspect that I wont be the only one enjoying it.

No Pikmin 3, No Animal Crossing 2, No Wii Health or Wii Music, guess we will just have to wait and see since there are a few conferences left. Or they are saving all that for 2008 once hype dies down.

Now we await Sony's conference. Given what we have seen from MS and Nintendo, Sony does not have to do much but since they are infamous for showing trailers for games that are 2-3 years off from release I am not expecting a lot. Sure the games will look good, but they need to come out for it to make an impact.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its a nationwide price drop, it will be featured in ads next week but in stores like Target and Toys R Us its already being advertised and rung up at registers. Depending on the store location they may be waiting till Sunday but sites like slickdeals, fatwallet and amazon are already reflecting the price drop as live. Several sites are even offering free wireless controllers or other goodies to get people to buy in at the cheaper price (before the 80gb unit comes into retail).

Not sure what is wrong with Sonys PR lately, it seems like the left and right hand are not talking much.

Back before the internet was instant access the deny tactic used to work but when you have todays climate where retail managers were showing news sites the order to lower the price $100 the denial kinda falls flat.

Seems to me that Sony is getting desperate by attempting to give out extra goodies in an attempt to get more people to buy the system. Smart? I don't think so...c'mon how much more money does Sony want to loose.
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    I thought Microsoft's conference was bad....well, Nintendo might just have taken it to the next level. WOW. That was BORING.

I know Nintendo is doing well, but did they have to boast about it throughout the conference? I understand all the coverage they have been getting, but couldn't they have done a minute montage of all that stuff instead of spreading it out?

Sony CAN'T be worse than Nintendo and Microsoft. Then again, I said the same thing about Nintendo....so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Sony CAN'T be worse than Nintendo and Microsoft. Then again, I said the same thing about Nintendo....so we'll see.
    The funny thing is Reggie did not look very comfortable up there, given past E3's I dont think he was very happy with the new way they are doing things (press only, not a whole lot of fans).

And the montage's....they should have played the South Park song "we need a montage" before each one, that would have been entertaining.

I am sure Sony will do very well, remember they do have the prettiest graphics and most unsure schedule.

In the end though will we be any better off for it? I mean its nice is Sony shows me 20000 trailers but what difference does it makes if the game release is 2-3 years off or possibly side by side with a 360 version.

I hope we see more than HOME, Killzone 2 and MSG4, hopefully some exclusives or content I cant get if I were to get a 360.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

In the end though will we be any better off for it? I mean its nice is Sony shows me 20000 trailers but what difference does it makes if the game release is 2-3 years off or possibly side by side with a 360 version.

I hope we see more than HOME, Killzone 2 and MSG4.
    I think we, as the target gamers will be excited. If Sony shows us game trailers and not news footage about Wii doing well and DS taking over the world, I will be satisfied. Then again, Sony wouldn't be able to pull off that stuff because PS3 hasn't taken over the universe yet like the Wii has. Show me games BEYOND 2007 and it will be better than Microsoft's and Nintendo's conferences combined.

HOME will definitely top Wii Fit and all those overpriced and cheap looking peripherals Nintendo showed. The thing is, if they showed off just HOME, KZ2, and MSG4, it'll probably be equal to the other two conferences, but with more excitement.

Then again, Sony wouldn't be able to pull off that stuff because PS3 hasn't taken over the universe yet like the Wii has.
    yeah they dont really have any sales numbers to trumphet except for PS2, wonder if the PS2 will get any new games announced since its kicking the crap out of the PS3 currently.

Show me games BEYOND 2007 and it will be better than Microsoft's and Nintendo's conferences combined.
    Show me other games besides KZ2, MSG4 and FFwhatever and I will be impressed. So far all we have heard about on PS3 is games that are also coming to 360 so this is their time to get the word out.

HOME will definitely top Wii Fit and all those overpriced and cheap looking peripherals Nintendo showed. The thing is, if they showed off just HOME, KZ2, and MSG4, it'll probably be equal to the other two conferences, but with more excitement.
    HOME will be a hit to the "hardcore" but not sure if the media whom E3 is intended will give it that great of a reception. Not when things like Second Life are the media darlings of the day.

The new MSG4 trailer should be enough along with the demo last night of KZ2 to give Sony some great buzz. However, I will reserve judgement till its over. It could be a total suckfest, as trailers dont really excite me all that much.

I dont think people are used to the idea that E3 is not home to the major news anymore, there are at least 3 other conferences as well as a host of 3rd party events the next few months where we will get more info on all 3 consoles. One of the biggest is set for Germany and that one a lot of people were talking about last night as the one to watch (I think its the GDC).

E3 is seriously now for major media and those who follow video game "business", not hardcare fans like us who wants games, gameplay and future titles.

If it were the E3 of old I am sure both press conferences would have been better, we would have gotten more hands on with Mario and Metroid, as it is Metroid Prime 3 will become playable to those in attendance for the first time and it launches in 30 days...that should show you the aim of E3 now.

I'm loving the new Resident Evil 5 trailer, but the fact that it was shown at the 360 conference is making me worried that I'll need to buy a PS3 for MGS4 (I really don't think it will come to 360 unless they do a thing similar to MGS2 Substance) and then a 360 for Resident Evil...and with a reported fail rate of around 30%, I really don't wanna fork out the money for a 360.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But at the same time, Microsoft's conference felt like last years...it definitely played out more to the hardcore audience than the mass media. It's because Nintendo has a broader audience that they presented the conference the way they did, not because of the new E3.

There was a thread on the IGN boards that asked posters to describe Nintendo's conference in one word and someone replied, "misdirected" and that IMO is how I feel.

The fact is, the big gaming websites are going to give us hands-on impressions on Mario, Smash, and Metroid sometime this year so I'm not really concerned that they were not shown as much at the conference.

The misdirection I'm speaking about is beyond 2007. You're right -- the biggest media publications were at Nintendo's conference...so they had to show a more broader presentation than most years...but that does not necessarily mean they couldn't show Wii Music or Animal Crossing...even Pikmin. Instead they focused on games that will be shown to death now until the end of the year. They could have shown that the Wii isn't a fad by presenting projects that can sustain Wii's momentum beyond this holiday season.

They show us a cheap looking zapper gun instead of giving us firmware upgrades to actually IMPROVE the Wii's internal system. They show us a Wii Wheel that will probably cost us $19.99 instead of announcing a brand new online infrastructure for the Wii. They re-confirmed WiiWare...but nothing else. They gave us Mario Kart...but just confirmed that it would play like Mario DS.

Where's the new IPs....Wii Sports 2. Yesterday, I was scared about them showing Mario and Sonic at the Olympics...now, I wished they showed more of the CGI footage that they barely gave us.

Tease us. That's what I wanted.

EDIT: By the way, that Killzone 2 Trailer on IGN....IS ******* AMAZING. Good god, if MGS4 looks better than that (which I'm 99.9% sure it will), Sony will have pwned Nintendo and Microsoft easily.

EDIT: Screens of Mario Galaxy... http://yournintendofeed.catchingup2life.net/
    Last edited by hemanrep; July 11, 2007 at 02:35pm.

The misdirection I'm speaking about is beyond 2007. You're right -- the biggest media publications were at Nintendo's conference...so they had to show a more broader presentation than most years...but that does not necessarily mean they couldn't show Wii Music or Animal Crossing...even Pikmin. Instead they focused on games that will be shown to death now until the end of the year. They could have shown that the Wii isn't a fad by presenting projects that can sustain Wii's momentum beyond this holiday season.
    But like I said, the year is not over yet. E3 is no longer about whats coming for the next year. MS proved that by making this years conference solely about what was shipping THIS year (outside of the RE5 trailer).

There are rumors Nintendo will have their own show either near the end of the year on Q1 akin to Spaceworld. That is where they will reveal newer games.

The main stream media was the focus and Wii Fit is going to make them go ape, it will increase on the buzz that Wii Sports has caused and give them a reason to continue the retirement home/therapy in hospital articles that will just drive salese even more.

They show us a cheap looking zapper gun instead of giving us firmware upgrades to actually IMPROVE the Wii's internal system. They show us a Wii Wheel that will probably cost us $19.99 instead of announcing a brand new online infrastructure for the Wii. They re-confirmed WiiWare...but nothing else. They gave us Mario Kart...but just confirmed that it would play like Mario DS.
    The wheel I think is coming included with Mario Kart so that is why no price point was announced.

I just dont get why people want them to blow their load in one year, its only year 1 of what Sony is calling a lengthy battle, if Nintendo intends to stay competitive they need to make sure they dont reveal everything. They fix every critique in Year 1 and people will just slam them in Year 2, its like a never ending battle with net fans imho. First people complained about online, well we got a bunch of online announcements from 3rd party developers...that is a big first step for a system people say is so complicated to get online with friend codes.

I just dont get what people were expecting, it seems to me they have started to address some issues. The light gun may look cheap but it will make shooting games easier to come to the Wii without the need for the expensive gun con which needs a new version itself to work with HD units ($75-80 right there). And I am all for a new duckhunt and hogans alley, we have not even seen it in motion much (its supposed to be played with RE Umbrella Chronicles this week) so I will reserve judgement on it till I see that.

For me they did more than fine, remember I did not demand them to actually do anything besides let me know that Smash and Galaxy were not delayed and in deed coming out this year. What would be the point of revealing 2008 when they can hardly keep systems in stores in 2007? People dont need a reason to buy at the moment, so why reveal your hand??

Where's the new IPs....Wii Sports 2. Yesterday, I was scared about them showing Mario and Sonic at the Olympics...now, I wished they showed more of the CGI footage that they barely gave us.
    We will see more CGI but like I said earlier thats Sega's game and Sega will showcase it during E3, from what I have seen it looks like it needs some more work. I would have preferred they showed us more Nights myself.

Tease us. That's what I wanted.
    You tease when you want someone to stay interested, they dont need to do that so thus they bored us. People will complain "I am selling my Wii, they forgot about me the hardcore gamer, casual games suck" but when the next Zelda comes out or the next Smash game, or the Pikmin we all know is coming the "hardcore" will take their systems out of this drama queen storage and use them again...thus the point is proven that they dont need "us" (us as in hardcore collective) to keep the system afloat. Only the NES could have said that out of all their past systems.

EDIT: By the way, that Killzone 2 Trailer on IGN....IS ******* AMAZING. Good god, if MGS4 looks better than that (which I'm 99.9% sure it will), Sony will have pwned Nintendo and Microsoft easily.
    Yeah it does look good but people said the same about KZ1, thats the thing that people are hoping they nailed the gameplay this time.

But again MSG4, yet another in the line of MSG...I was not thrilled with 3 and I dont get my rocks off to stealth games with nice graphics, the story looks good though and that is what would sell me...but if it comes out on the 360 I have no reason to buy a PS3. I have more interest in Splinter Cell Conviction than I do MSG4. But hell I thought MG Twin Snakes was one of the best of the series so I am obviously not the target audience.

Wow, there are A LOT of games coming out for PSP...see, this is what I wanted Nintendo to do...they showed more games in 15 minutes than Nintendo did in one hour!!!!

Wow, there are A LOT of games coming out for PSP...see, this is what I wanted Nintendo to do...they showed more games in 15 minutes than Nintendo did in one hour!!!!
    One would argue they had no choice, with the DS dominating in sales and Dragonquest as well as Zelda are hitting in before christmas, but I agree the montage of games as a nice site to see compared to the previous 2 conferences.

Highlights from Sonys E3 conference (updating as info comes out)

• Tons of PSP games coming
    • Ridge Racer announced
    • New PSP revealed, with video out (retains UMD as primary format), hits in Sept
    • New Star Wars Battlefront PSP exclusive
    • Wipeout HD shown
    • HOME shown at length
    • Haze is PS3 Exclusive (FPS by Free Radical)
    • Unreal Tournament 3 - PS3 Exclusive
    • MSG4 New Trailer shown, PS3 Exclusive (for the time being anyway, remember GTA??), playable next week at Anniversary in JP
    • New Ratchet and Clank information
    • Little Big Planet shown
    • Gran Turismo 5 shown, it looks jaw droppingly geogeous http://kotaku.com/photogallery/prologuegallery/
    • Killzone 2 shown

Easily best of the show so far (not saying much for all 3), however I agree with one blogger who said
    So, PSP and PS3 to be re-launched this x-mas, but this time... with games!" because thats how I feel both should have launched to begin with!
    While we did see some games, outside of something like Unreal 3 there was not one thing that made it any different than MS or Nintendo's, I knew most of the games were coming and of course no release dates.

Remember all the trailers should be on the PSN following the conference, they will be much nicer to watch on your HD or SD TV's instead of gamespot or ign which has them compressed.

Glad to see MSG4 will be the finale, that means the story should be good to tie things up! Was Kojima wearing a Gears of War shirt??

Was I the only one who thought Echochrome looked like an ecth a sketch? Definitly one that will have to be seen in person

About the Haze and Unreal exclusive thing, I have a strong feeling its a timed exclusive and it will be yet another 360 game by Q2 of 2008. Especially given MS focus point of saying how the Unreal engine would be in the core of their strategies for the next few years last night.

I for one am not excited about HOME, it looks neat but to me its just more Myspace/Facebook type of social interaction and I dont really look for that. It will probably bring some new customers in though, ones who will get it for HOME and Blu-Ray and video games are an extra treat.

Little Big Planet still looks like the thing that can get the PS3 into the mainstream to me. Killzone 2 if pulled off properly could be a big hit like Gears of War (and therefore a system seller), if they learned from the faults of KZ1 it should happen.

I also had to note that a majority of people seem to be saying "they did not bore us with numbers", to be honest what numbers video game wise was Sony exactly going to bore anyone with?? Nope instead they opted to bore us with Blu-Ray numbers...guess thats how they spin things though THANKFULLY it was short.

The PS3 is tanking compared to its 2 competitors, still being outsold by the system its supposed to replace and the PSP is getting eaten by the DS, there is nothing on earth they could have done with numbers that the mainstream press would not have taken them to task on so therefore we did not get any. MS and Nintendo have something to boast in their sales numbers (MS with their lead and Xbox Live sub total and Nintendo with sales of the DS and Wii as well as new demographics of gamers not reached before)....sorry if that bores people but thats business.

Sony has never been one to not put on a good show (trailer and promise wise), whether that translates to sales and increased competition with the 360 has yet to be seen. So far I have not seen anything that would say buy the PS3 over the 360, and that ultimately is the goal isnt it?

Interestingly enough Nintendo announced some other news, which I think would have went well in their Press Conference:

Forever Blue (the jaw dropping beautiful sea exploration game) is coming stateside on Oct 29 2007 and it will include online 2 player co-op!! For those who have no idea what this game is the trailer is here

Battalion Wars 2 will street the same day (Oct 29) and will be online enabled for co-op and vs.

Fire Emblem will street on November 5th 2007.

Wii Zapper will come with a game from Nintendo (ala Wii Play), the bundle is still $19.99 (rumors are it will be duckhunt)

Wii Wheel confirmed to be included with Mario Kart Wii (told you it was included)

Metroid Prime 3 Trailer

Super Mario Galaxy Trailer

G4 weighs in first with Wii Fit experience:
    We checked out a demo on the show floor, and we gotta tell ya, it's more fun than excercise has any right to be.

The hula-hoop mini-game has you swivelling your hips to spin your hoop around fast as well as ducking and leaning to catch more rings. Colorful, silly and a whole lot of fun.

Wii Fit also features yoga poses and a mat that senses whether you are motionless and whether your weight is distributed correctly. There's no earthly reason it should be fun, but it is. It's a lot of fun.

Even the "game" where the sole goal is to shift your weight more and more precisely is awesome.

Another game involves simply shifting your weight around to move a ball into a hole. Again, very simple, but also very, very fun.

The only thing missing is a display of your weight and a "You Don't LKnow Jack" style host hurling insults at you for your fattitude. Of course, it is a Nintendo game, so gentle encouragment might be more in order...but we can dream, right?

There's no release date for this title, but trust us: Wii Fit will be a HUGE seller, if for no other reason than your girlfriend will be able to balance better than you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To everyone who is going to complain about all 3 companies lack of wow, remember there is TGS Thursday, September 20th-23rd and the Developers conference in Germany. It will be those 2 events and not E3 where we will find out about new IP's and hot new games for 2008.

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all have space reserved, as well as a host of companies that skipped E3.

Plus E3 is not over yet, its got a few more days and there is a lot more to be revealed for all 3 systems!

Quote Originally Posted by galmorzu View Post
    VaderLives: Just a heads up, but on the other versions of MK:A, everything you unlock for creating a kharacter/fighter in one profile is automatically available in all other created profiles afterwards. That's why I just keep buying everything in one profile, buy it there, and it'll be available in all the others.

The Wii may be different, but I doubt it. Check it out!

Oh, and are the Wii controlls really that much better than the other consoles? I was thinking they might be clunkier and harder to use, so it put me off getting the Wii version. If they're as good or better, I might pick up this version after all.
    Yeah, I found that is indeed true. Which was VERY nice of the developers!

Thus I'm now able to have He-Man vs Skeletor MK style:

And yeah, He-Man was player 1 and Skeletor player 2, they were just on opposite sides of the screen when I took the picture.

And as for the Wii controls, they work surprisingly well. I was incredibly impressed. They are very responsive and don't feel tacked on at all. It all feels very natural, it's as if the game were designed to be played with the wiimote/nunchuck combo from the get go. It's definitely the best use of Wii controls in a non-Wii designed game I've seen yet. And it really doesn't take that long to get the hang of (only took me about 10 minutes to pick up). Sure it's really different at first, but once you get used to them it feels like you've always been playing it this way. I just tend to use the classic controller more of the time because I still prefer to control my characters with the control pad rather than the joystick. Plus it's nice to finally get to use the classic controller for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    No, no, no, no, no. You have this all wrong, sir.

I have both the PS2 and XBox versions, and have played them both rather thoroughly.

You can have up to 8 profiles (well, you can have more in the case of PS2 if you use multiple memory cards... and I assume the same hold true for using memory cards for Xbox, but the bottom line is that for any one storage media, you can only have 8 profiles). And you can only make 1 KAK per profile, not two.

Yes, there are two spots on the select screen for KAK on those versions, but they are actually both the same thing. Once you enter a profile, no matter which of those two slots you select, the same character comes up. They just put two spots on the select screen for looks more than anything. So, replacing on of them with Khameleon for the Wii version really doesn't effect anything aside from the look of the select screen.
    Oh. I did not realize that. So the addition of Khameleon really isn't taking anything away, and is in fact adding to the game. That's nice to know. So once again, the Nintendo version is best, IMO (I have absolutely no interest in online play, so I would much rather take additional characters over online capability any day of the week. which is why I picked up the gamecube version of deception).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Yeah, I found that is indeed true. Which was VERY nice of the developers!

Thus I'm now able to have He-Man vs Skeletor MK style
    Those are sweet KAK VaderLives!

Metroid Prime 3 Trailer
    What I don't get is why the guy demonstrating the game doesn't curl up and roll around with nunchuck and wiimote in hand when he goes into sphere mode!?!?
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    HEAD SHOT!!!
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Unreal 3 looks pretty aweesome, its great that console owners can share things with the PC users

Nintendo also announced today Smash Bros will not be at E3 in any form (not even video), this was done to give more attention to the other products (and as I stated earlier to probably be shown at the next 2 events which are more "hardcore"). They plugged their smashbros.com site so I would think we would get most of our Smash info from there.

I am really liking what I see from Nintendo, Wii Fit sounds like the perfect thing to add to our workout equipment (I work 3 jobs and dont have time or money to join a gym...not to mention Iowa has a limited number of gyms in small towns). We have lost 30lbs using Wii Sports and changing our diet, so I am thrilled this is coming.

And Metroid Prime 3 as well as Mario Galaxy sounds just awe inspriring, the news that Fire Emblem is coming in November made my day yesterday.

And how did Advance Wars 2 DS go without being in the conference? There were more important announcements made by all 3 companies (like Silent Hill coming out on 2 platforms) after the conferences then during

If you are gamer, this christmas is going to rock hard-core no matter which console you own (though I am still waiting to see Sony's full Holiday lineup)!

E3: IGN really likes Wii Fit, rumored to be only $49.99 with balance board

E3: Metroid Prime 3 Hands-On, Greatest Controls ever for console FPS

Samus controls better in Prime 3 than she ever has before. In fact, the heroine's tight maneuverability and speed nurture a level of accuracy never before possible in a console-based first-person experience. Retro has included three different sensitivity levels for fans, so if you're the type who prefers a big bounding box and slower turns, you can do that. However, we highly recommend that all gamers play Prime 3 with advanced controls, which shrink the bounding box so that Samus turns quickly when your on-screen reticule begins to stray in any direction. Previously, Call of Duty 3 was the benchmark for accurate controls in a first-person game on Wii, but Prime 3 blows that title out of the water. If you've played any FPS-style game on Nintendo's system before, you will probably be running and gunning in Corruption and absolutely loving the freedom and speed of the controls in a matter of seconds, not minutes. It really is the new benchmark and simultaneously proof that smart studios can really utilize the Wii remote and nunchuk for some dazzling results.
    E3: Super Mario Galaxy Hands-On, A worthy successor to Super Mario N64

We could talk all day about what makes Super Mario Galaxy a must-have title for Wii, and come review time (or future hands-on) I'm sure we will, but in reality it's about one major thing: Super Mario Galaxy is fun. When we're finished playing it, we think about playing it again. While we explore the world we're half playing, half admiring the level design and gameplay concepts. Nintendo may be reaching out to casual players and basing its new system on things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but the fact of the matter is that the company is still all about the gamer, and all about the games, and Super Mario Galaxy is pure living proof of that. This is the Mario you've been waiting for.

E3: Silent Hill V announced for 360 and PS3

E3: Ratchet and Clank Hands-On, must see videos!

First Rygar Screens! This game is looking nice, very PoP feel
    http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_837lo.jpg
    http://img34.imagevenue.com/loc1088/...122_1088lo.jpg

Also I have been reading a lot about how Nintendo is not serious about online, and so I decided to see what was going to be online for 2007 and 2008 and this is what I came up with. Again this would have probably made "hardcore" fans a lot happier if it was included in the Press Conference

Fully playable online
    -Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
    -Mario Strikers Charged
    -Battalion Wars 2
    -Geomotry Wars (2 player online and original geomotry wars will transfer via Wi-Fi to DS for free)
    -Mario Kart Wii (2008)
    -Guitar Hero III
    -Civilization: Revolutions (4 player online)
    -Medal of Honor (32 Player online)
    -Nitro Bike (Ubisoft version of Excite Bike, announced this afternoon)
    -Tiger Woods PGA Tour '08
    -NFL Madden 08 (4 player online)
    -NBA Live 08 (8 player online with 4 consoles)
    -Endless Ocean (was called Forever Blue in Japan) : 2 player co-op

Online Components (scoring, sharing and leaderboards)
    -Trauma Center (online leaderboards)
    -NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (something to do with the WiiConnect)
    -EA Boogie (content or saved videos are rumored)

Rumored but not confirmed:
    -WWE RAW vs Smackdown 2008
    -Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution
    -Super Smash Bros Brawl

Thats not too shabby, it could be better but for a company that had a lan adapter available a gen ago and refused to use it outside of like 3 games (Mario Kart/Kirby Air Ride/Phantasy Star) I think its a step in the right direction. I wonder though if all these games will use friend codes or if they will make their own system like EA is doing.

1UP is speculating that Smash will not be online.

I love Nintendo, but I'm so glad I have a PS3 and eventually a 360...Nintendo does things half-ass sometimes...

Oh and Famitsu is reporting that Rygar is just a wii-make of the PS2 game with a muscle mini-game...which is the only way you can use motion control.... They just added a new protagonist and new monsters...
    Last edited by hemanrep; July 12, 2007 at 03:02pm.

1UP is speculating that Smash will not be online.

I love Nintendo, but I'm so glad I have a PS3 and eventually a 360...Nintendo does things half-ass sometimes...
    Yeah I was wondering about that myself, though I was not sure if it could be done anyway. People have been trying to take the N64 version of Smash online and have had big problems and that is old technology that is well emulated by now.

Though still that would sting that some franchises could go online and some they just wont. Then again we will have to wait and see.

I dont understand why everyone thinks you only have to have 1 console, your statement kinda reflects that mentality. The Wii is super cheap (and will get cheaper) so pairing it with one of the bigger Next-Gen systems is almost a given, people are still acting like we are back in the era of having to only select one. I look at the Wii for what it is, a casual game machine that has some good games coming, and when paired with a 360 or PS3 gives the widest range of gameplay. I do usually post Nintendo news because thats what interests me (I am not a huge fan of sports and fps games and Sony and MS dont tend to release a lot of news besides look at this new screenshot or something to that effect) but I will most likely get a 360 before summer of next year...if for no other reason then RE5.

Gamecube tried to play the next-gen game and lost, why would anyone want them to repeat that unless they wanted to bring about the next Sega.

Oh and Famitsu is reporting that Rygar is just a wii-make of the PS2 game with a muscle mini-game...which is the only way you can use motion control.... They just added a new protagonist and new monsters...
    That is surprising, you would think they would just reuse all the old models but the game looks completley different (look at the pages from Famitsu I posted above), so why change everything if you are just doing a port? Last i read it was only at around 20-30% and is not even on the schedule till 2008 so its kinda soon to be stating the game is just a remake I think. But given the quick cash that 3rd parties are doing it would again not be surprising. Well at least they made some new character models

This is the official description, I wonder if the "mini-games" will play out more like puzzles, if thats the case I could deal with that. I would have liked a all new game but given the fact that RE4 with new controls is a system seller for me as well as the new controlled Godfather I am sorry if I dont have a negative view on wiimakes or ported games with new controls:

Overview: Grab your Diskarmor and swing into action on the NintendoŽ Wii as the legendary warrior, Rygar! Immerse yourself in Greco-Roman mythology as you journey through the sundered Island of Argus. Intuitive use of the Wii remote allows you to deftly and effectively control the use of the powerful Diskarmor to destroy enemies and maneuver on, around, over, and under obstacles to save Princess Harmonia!

• Innovative Play Mechanics: The legendary Diskarmor shield can be used for attack, defense, or transportation all with the intuitive use of the Wii-mote

• Action Packed Adventure Mini-Games: The action-adventure platforming games span various unique zones and requires vanquishing the enemy and light puzzle solving

• Intense Combo Attacks: Multiple Diskarmor weapons are available to be found and upgraded with elemental power-ups such as fire, ice, and lightning. Engage the enemy with over 30 different devastating combo attacks before time runs out.

Seems with every bit of disappointing news we get some good news from Nintendo, that is for those who are dissapointed (I personally am not but others I see are, judging by neogaf and other sites)

Day of Disaster is still coming along
    Animal Crossing Wii hopefully coming soon
    Pikmin 3 not dead and buried

I dont understand why everyone thinks you only have to have 1 console, your statement kinda reflects that mentality. The Wii is super cheap (and will get cheaper) so pairing it with one of the bigger Next-Gen systems is almost a given, people are still acting like we are back in the era of having to only select one. I look at the Wii for what it is, a casual game machine that has some good games coming, and when paired with a 360 or PS3 gives the widest range of gameplay.
    Well, back in the Sega Genesis/SNES days, I didn't have both systems to enjoy all types of games. Nowadays, if I want an online game, I have to go to 360. If I want a family/mini-game marathon, I have to have a Wii. If I want JRPGs, I have to have a PS3. You see what I mean?

And as much as we gamers clamor that $249 is pretty cheap for a console, it isn't all that cheap for college students or families with a limited budget who want more than 1 console. Again, I was listening to a podcast and the newly appointed news editor at 1UP is straight out of college and he said that may college students only have a Wii because that's all they can afford.

Seriously, it isn't cheap to be a gamer, especially if you're one that wants to have a variety of games (which I want, but don't necessarily need).

And as much as we gamers clamor that $249 is pretty cheap for a console, it isn't all that cheap for college students or families with a limited budget who want more than 1 console. Again, I was listening to a podcast and the newly appointed news editor at 1UP is straight out of college and he said that may college students only have a Wii because that's all they can afford.
    Well thats bigger issues then just the state of the industry aka console wars, I owe 100k+ in student loans to get my degrees and trust me the jobs aint paying close to what I need (which is why I have 3 of them). if they can afford a Wii then they can save for a few months and have afforded one of the others, I am sorry but the $200 price tag increase spread out over 6 months is not inconceivable, not when toys are now $8-20 each, dvds are $15-50 (depending on what you are getting) and video games are coming in at $65-70 on certain platforms. I have no sympathy for people who dont want to save and want it now, its not cheap but you dont have to have it this second either.

As for the 1up guy, trust me I have been in college for 7 years now and they can afford much more. Who do you think buys the $400 ipods? or the $2000 HDTV's, that is just a poor excuse for why the Wii is selling well. I see it everyday and know many of my friends who are still in college, they are poor but find a way to buy what they want.

Seriously, it isn't cheap to be a gamer, especially if you're one that wants to have a variety of games (which I want, but don't necessarily need).
    And that is the plain facts, Nintendo will never stop making games. Hell even during the Gamecube we only got 1-2 GOOD games per year but I am getting tired of people acting like with the Wii they suddenly have left gaming behind. I own over 50 Gamecube games, you know how many are AAA quality?? I can list them without using both hands, that has not changed and I dont expect it to.

The PS3 is a good system, its very overpriced and Sony needs a lot of software (which we see is coming), when it drops down to $399 (which it will eventually) then it will really get in the game. For right now though its going to get its ass handed to it by the Wii for those facts you stated alone.

The 360 is another excellent system, MS has really put their $$$ into getting the game content...now if they could have only avoided the dying consoles I think more people would be apt to jump-in (myself included).

But the era of owning 1 console and being content is over and died last gen. The PS2 was probably the last great console that had everything (action, rpg, sports), there is just too much money to be made and experience to be had.

As I stated with Rygar, I am dissapointed its not a ground up for the Wii game (although I maintain the graphics look nothing like its PS2 counterpart) but that does not mean its bad. the initial batch of mini-game hell has soured us on the word I think, in classic games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle you had to do mini games in essence to get stuff done, its whether it comes off as a gimmick that applies to me. Rygar may be a big stinker or it may be a load of fun, I am not going to irrationally come down on it because I think it will be a mini game suckfest.

Also going back to yesterdays discussion, you want to know they the E3 conference for Nintendo sucked so bad for us, it was business and as I predicted it was golden for them

Game-On Nintendo Is Star of E3 Show as Rivals Scramble to Catch Up
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071102149.html

That is what they were aiming for, and 3 other major news and business magazines this morning ran similar articles.

Nintendo may have ****ed some diehard fans off but I maintain wait till TGS or Germany, this was not about gamers it was about money. Sony made it about games (which I liked) for one reason, they are loosing right now in the business category. NPD numbers come out in probably a week (usually around the 14-18th) and it will be another "Wii conquers the world" press fest with 4 to 1 and in Japan 6 to 1 sales figures. The PS3 will weather the storm but right now Nintendo could have announced a "how to use the toilet" game and it would be greeted with greatness for helping in child rearing.

OK instead of *****ing like I have been, what are you guys looking forward to?? I have about 5 Nintendo Wii games I really want badly and 2 from each of the other systems.

Must have Wii games:
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
    Super Mario Galaxy (a definite choice for GOY)
    Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
    Guitar Hero III
    Resident Evil Umbrella Chonicles
    WWE Raw vs Smackdown 2008 (especially since they are using an upgrade DOR engine)

Must have PS3 games:
    Ratchet and Clank
    Lair

Must have 360 games:
    Mass Effect
    Too Human
    Assassins Creed
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

More news:

Blue Dragon demo is now online for those of you who are waiting to access it!

E3: Umbrella Chronicles Hands-On Cant wait for this game

Rygar on PS2 was a damn good game IMO so even if the Wii version is just the same game, if you haven't played it on the PS2, then its definitely a game you'll wanna check out (Doesn't compare to the NES Rygar though).

And if MGS4 looks half as good as it does in the newest trailer, well then it is going to be THE game that brings the PS3 into the race (assuming it stays exclusive...which IMO it will).
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    Rygar on PS2 was a damn good game IMO so even if the Wii version is just the same game, if you haven't played it on the PS2, then its definitely a game you'll wanna check out (Doesn't compare to the NES Rygar though).
    Someone from neogaf posted this and I think its so true in the Rygar case

Funny, for it to be a port, doesn't it have to be EXACTLY the same? This has a new hero replacing the original, new enemies, more stages and (unless my eyes deceive me) a graphical spit-shine. If they have made enough fundamental changes, doesn't it classify as a remake? I played Rygar for PS2, I don't remember half of the areas they're showing off in these scans.
    That sums up how I feel. It will never be as good as the original though, too bad Tecmo could not do like what XBLA got with an updated Prince of Persia

And if MGS4 looks half as good as it does in the newest trailer, well then it is going to be THE game that brings the PS3 into the race (assuming it stays exclusive...which IMO it will).
    So Sony will have to wait till summer 2008 to get in the race

I think Lair will bring some people in, a price cut to $399 would immediately bring a lot of people in (probably me included) and Ratchet and Clank if released in November as suggested will help for christmas. Its got a LOT of ground to cover though to get back in the race for 2007.

UK'ers got Paper Mario on the VC today!! Hopefully we get it here in a week or two, I have the N64 cart in my bedroom but I want to be able to load it on the Wii.

Last edited by TheDeviot; July 13, 2007 at 12:24am. Reason: additions
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Well thats bigger issues then just the state of the industry aka console wars, I owe 100k+ in student loans to get my degrees and trust me the jobs aint paying close to what I need (which is why I have 3 of them). if they can afford a Wii then they can save for a few months and have afforded one of the others, I am sorry but the $200 price tag increase spread out over 6 months is not inconceivable, not when toys are now $8-20 each, dvds are $15-50 (depending on what you are getting) and video games are coming in at $65-70 on certain platforms. I have no sympathy for people who dont want to save and want it now, its not cheap but you dont have to have it this second either.

As for the 1up guy, trust me I have been in college for 7 years now and they can afford much more. Who do you think buys the $400 ipods? or the $2000 HDTV's, that is just a poor excuse for why the Wii is selling well. I see it everyday and know many of my friends who are still in college, they are poor but find a way to buy what they want.
    Point taken. I'm in a similar situation where I'm still in school and will start paying off loans soon, but at the same time, I have been able to purchase all these consoles. I still think it varies from person to person and that the majority of people who want to own 2+ consoles can't do so because of money issues. If I didn't have my parents, I definitely couldn't buy my HDTV, ipod, Wii, or PS3. As much as I want it, 3 jobs isn't worth all that stuff. That's just my opinion though.

And that is the plain facts, Nintendo will never stop making games. Hell even during the Gamecube we only got 1-2 GOOD games per year but I am getting tired of people acting like with the Wii they suddenly have left gaming behind. I own over 50 Gamecube games, you know how many are AAA quality?? I can list them without using both hands, that has not changed and I dont expect it to.
    I have over 30 games for GameCube and I regret buying probably 2/3s of it...mostly third party titles. It's the sole reason why I haven't bought Spiderman 3 or Transformers. But comparing the Wii and the GameCube is totally different. This generation is something I've never experienced before. As much as I want to root Nintendo on, I just don't see the argument that Nintendo's games are hardcore. The definition of "hardcore" has changed and with the exception of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, what other games can attract PS and XBOX gamers? The fans of those consoles are into physics, advanced AI, and amazing graphics. They only buy a Wii because they want their girlfriend/wife/non-gaming friends to play with them. Can the Wii satisfy gamers? Not likely.

The PS3 is a good system, its very overpriced and Sony needs a lot of software (which we see is coming), when it drops down to $399 (which it will eventually) then it will really get in the game. For right now though its going to get its ass handed to it by the Wii for those facts you stated alone.
    No way I can argue that.

The 360 is another excellent system, MS has really put their $$$ into getting the game content...now if they could have only avoided the dying consoles I think more people would be apt to jump-in (myself included).
    Can't argue with that either. I've been a victim of Microsoft's faulty hardware, so I know how it feels.

But the era of owning 1 console and being content is over and died last gen. The PS2 was probably the last great console that had everything (action, rpg, sports), there is just too much money to be made and experience to be had.
    I have to disagree. It hasn't happened yet, but I still believe the PS3 will pull through and deliver with a vast library...may be not as large as the PS2, but I think it will have the support of US and Japanese developers. It's the only HD console that Japanese consumers will purchase so I think it will have the best library of the 3 systems. It will have the JRPGs, the westernized RPGs, the FPS' (Killzone), the MMOs (NCSoft), platformers (Jak, Ratchet), action adventure (God of War, Heavenly Sword, Lair), sports, and a lot of the other genres (GTA, Assasin's Creed, etc). The developers of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus will even satisfy the niche genre.

It may take one more year, but PS3 will have a shot at it.

Man, I can't believe I'm defending Sony so much...

Also going back to yesterdays discussion, you want to know they the E3 conference for Nintendo sucked so bad for us, it was business and as I predicted it was golden for them

Game-On Nintendo Is Star of E3 Show as Rivals Scramble to Catch Up
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071102149.html

That is what they were aiming for, and 3 other major news and business magazines this morning ran similar articles.
    Yup, I read the Forbes article with the funny title (Sony Draws Yawns). I guess it's the new E3 format. I'm happy for Nintendo, but I'm not a casual gamer.

Nintendo may have ****ed some diehard fans off but I maintain wait till TGS or Germany, this was not about gamers it was about money. Sony made it about games (which I liked) for one reason, they are loosing right now in the business category. NPD numbers come out in probably a week (usually around the 14-18th) and it will be another "Wii conquers the world" press fest with 4 to 1 and in Japan 6 to 1 sales figures. The PS3 will weather the storm but right now Nintendo could have announced a "how to use the toilet" game and it would be greeted with greatness for helping in child rearing.
    See, after downloading the conference and watching it again, it wasn't that bad. Reggie says they haven't abandoned the core gamers and I'm hoping they have more than just Mario, Zelda and Metroid to satisfy the core gamers because those games definitely aren't coming out every year. Pikmin and Animal Crossing aren't really hardcore games. Nintendo will have Mario, but Sony will have Sly, Jak, and Ratchet. Nintendo will have Metroid, but Sony will have Killzone, Call of Duty 4, and Unreal Tournament. Nintendo will have Zelda, but Sony will have God of War, Assasin's Creed, Lair and Heavenly Sword. I can keep going, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    I have Rygar on PS2 and it is a great game and the Wii version isn't a "port" (not sure where that word was mentioned), it's a wii-make of the PS2 game. That said, I wish they could make a brand new game without having it being linked to a PS2 game. I'll hold my judgment on it when we get more information.

I was so excited to download it via the PS Store and I don't know...it just doesn't look that great on my 65 inch HDTV. It's SUPER choppy and it just looked weird. I'm not a MGS guy, so may be I'm just nitpicking. Now, Killzone 2...that sucker was freaking amazing on a large screen. Is it just me, or are the mouths of the characters really exaggerated when they speak? It looks funny.

-----------------------

EDIT: Wow, is Sony going to make me look dumb for writing all that good stuff?

E3: No more 60GB PlayStation 3 in US after July, says Reeves

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

So PS3 is going BACK to $599? What kind of strategy is that?!?!
    Last edited by hemanrep; July 13, 2007 at 04:34am.