Page 146 of 351 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 8761

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    I was looking at the compatibility list for it and it seems pretty good. I typed in all the games that are important to me, and for all of them it said no major issues found. I guess the emulated BC is much better in the US than it is elsewhere, where there are tons of issues with games.

If you're unsure about a game working, just check with the Sony site. Just type in your game and it'll tell you.
    But that's just it. I really don't believe what that thing is saying.

I put in several titles, and checked the compatibility for both the 60 and 80 gig versions, and in the same info comes up for both units for any title that I try.

Plus, I think when it says "no major issues found", it means no one has reported any issues. The issues may well exist, but if no one goes out of their way to report them, then I have no reliable way of knowing.

I could be wrong about this, but something seems fishy about that search tool.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I don't think SF4 has been announced for the Wii, and the Ghostbusters game is being built from the ground on up for it --- same story, just more cartoony characters.
    SF4 to my knowledge has only been announced for the PS3/360. The EGM article that came out this week showing screenshots and describing it seemed very vague as they said it would multi platform and historically Capcom has ported things to any system with a power button.

Matt and Bozon at IGN dont think it will come to the Wii, not because it cant (the art style and graphics would move over fine) but because fighters do not sell well so far with the Wii control scheme the way it is (though developers need to just accept that they have to create a gamecube and classic controller scheme like Guilty Gear X has and Smash Bros Brawl will have)

And you are correct, Ghostbusters is being developed from the ground up (The PS2 edition will be ported from the Wii version) by a studio who is intimately familiar with the Wii, the cartoony graphics are a way to both sell to a younger fanbase as well as hide the negatives of it not being an HD system.

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    Are there any articles to help back this up? I'd to show them to some PS3 die-hards who don't want to believe that as a possibility. (FYI, I'm a PS3 owner myself.)
    What do you want to back up? I mean Square (Yoichi Wada the CEO) themselves gave an interview this week that said they were waiting for the PS3 to decide what they wanted to do because its not a viable platform for them yet

He said and I quote "It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console."

He also called the Wii a toy in the same interview so its basically fanboy bait for all 3 platforms lol

The one thing we know for sure is that Square loves the DS, moving Dragonquest to the DS was a strong signal, and the work they put into FF3 as well as their upcoming FFIV is just harder evidence.

Plus, I think when it says "no major issues found", it means no one has reported any issues. The issues may well exist, but if no one goes out of their way to report them, then I have no reliable way of knowing.

I could be wrong about this, but something seems fishy about that search tool.
    Also keep in mind that most people probably wont report any problems since the 80gb is not in the same supply numbers as the 60gb. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to see if gamefaqs boards for a certain game show any incompatbilities on any given game because I doubt Sony will keep an accurate listing (they have one for the UK/EU I think thats more accurate then their US site).

Well, I think there's definitely some good 3rd part on it's way too. Nights and Okami among the forefront
    I also forgot to mention Sega, while we may think a lot of their games are subpar or trash I think they are getting better. I loved Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (in fact I asked for it for christmas from my in laws), and Nights looks like a good sequel to a game long thought dead a decade ago.

They are also trying to revive their good Dreamcast/Arcade lineup with next years new Samba De Amigo (developed by Gearbox), House of the Dead 2 and 3, Ghost Squad, Bass Fishing, and rumors of a new Jet Set Radio.

Like I said just search prior to Nov 2006 and see the doom and gloom (even in these forums) about the Wii, love it or hate it the system has made amazing strides and forced people to pay attention.

2008 should be really good for all 3 systems, I think developers are finally realizing the power of the PS3 as well (if Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank are any indication), if they can stop making gimped 360 ports (even new games like Orange Box suffer from crappy porting from the 360) and get some more high quality games out in the new year they can get right back in it.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    He said and I quote "It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console."

He also called the Wii a toy in the same interview so its basically fanboy bait for all 3 platforms lol
    That's been my problem with sony from the start. they've said that they want to be the be all end all set top box - have other companies license the ps hardware from them with no other console on the market. just different types of licensed playstations. and yeah it seems they want it to do everything. problem is sometimes when you try to do that you stretch yourself too thin and don't do anything right.

as for the Wii, well I think it being a 'toy' has made it more accessible and appealing to the general public. it's fun it's easy to just pick up and play and honestly that's something that's been kind of lacking recently in gaming so I give them props for coming out and defying convention and not trying to out muscle the competition in terms of graphics, processing power and media capabilities. and so far it's really worked for them - a year later and it's STILL hard to find the Wii, my MOM plays it more than anyone in the house (which is hilarious to me) so a developer would be wise to try to make some solidly planned FUN games for the system.

As for Sega...I've ALWAYS been a Sega fan - I LOVED olympics but I guess they've been slipping recently. but whenever I see the logo I have high hopes.

by the way thanks to the folks who cleared up the info regarding blu-ray hd and ps3 price drops. I knew that in regards to the ps3 and blu-ray it couldn't have been that drastic based on tech prices lowering.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    as for the Wii, well I think it being a 'toy' has made it more accessible and appealing to the general public. it's fun it's easy to just pick up and play and honestly that's something that's been kind of lacking recently in gaming so I give them props for coming out and defying convention and not trying to out muscle the competition in terms of graphics, processing power and media capabilities.
    I was telling my best friend today that I think gamers will be in for a treat if a developer can combine the graphics power of the Wii (aka Xbox 1 meets Gamecube on steroids) AND fully realized and implemented motion controls.

They are getting there slowly in certain genres, Metroid Prime 3 showed that FPS controls are not only possible but can come close to that of a PC, and MOHH2 took it even further...now if someone could raise the graphics bar and add a compelling story I think it could rival the 1st Halo in terms of acceptance.

Sports is still a ways off, EA is making some strides and Nintendo is showing with Strikers and Wii Sports that there are possibilities, Sega took that a step further with the Olympics and the Wii Fit board is bound to open up other avenues for ski and skateboarding.

it is my firm belief that the 360 will outlast the PS3 (and I own a PS3) and its mainly because i see no signs whatsoever that Sony "gets" why they are having such problems. All the developers in the world cannot save your console if you yourself dont get whats wrong (see the Gamecube for Nintendo and the Dreamcast for Sega). Its not just price, its not just games, its the fact the company from day to day cant tell you what it wants to do or how it intends to do it.

Microsoft says we are in the video game business, we want to wow you with graphics and solid games that tell stories. Nintendo says we are thinking outside the box, we want you to have fun playing the games and not worrying about specs.

What does Sony say? We have the biggest and baddest machine on earth, the games will be coming sometime (still not proven to be coming in any more frequency then 1-3 a year at best), but until then watch some movies. Its almost like Sony lost any soul the PSX and the PS2 gave them, or in this case watching them repeat the mistakes Nintendo made with the N64 and the Gamecube when they thought brand would sell regardless. The fact the PS3 is tracking BEHIND the Gamecube is surely troubling to those without blinders on, given the IP's and franchises the PS2 had alone should have meant Sony could thump the other two with little trouble....that is far from the case all over the world (not just Japan and the US).

As for Sega...I've ALWAYS been a Sega fan - I LOVED olympics but I guess they've been slipping recently. but whenever I see the logo I have high hopes.
    Sega has lacked purpose since the Dreamcast failed and they went to software only, being partly owned by a Pachinko company does not help. With the Wii though they have found some creativity (whether it came from ******* old licenses is not clear) again and some success in sales. Ghost Squad has sold a surprising amount for a 2004 Arcade Port, enough so to greenlight a House of the Dead release.

Their main problem is they split up their teams when they lost the Dreamcast and a lot of the last gen games lacked focus and were half assed. AM2 is a shade of what it once was, and their other divisions were sent to die a slow painful death until recently.

They do much better when they concentrate on one console imho, I am not saying all their games need to be for the Wii because they don't. But multi platform and Sega do not go well together, its almost disastrous (see the Sonic games for proof) because I think they dont have enough time to work on the strengths of the given platform.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I was telling my best friend today that I think gamers will be in for a treat if a developer can combine the graphics power of the Wii (aka Xbox 1 meets Gamecube on steroids) AND fully realized and implemented motion controls.

They are getting there slowly in certain genres, Metroid Prime 3 showed that FPS controls are not only possible but can come close to that of a PC, and MOHH2 took it even further...now if someone could raise the graphics bar and add a compelling story I think it could rival the 1st Halo in terms of acceptance.

Sports is still a ways off, EA is making some strides and Nintendo is showing with Strikers and Wii Sports that there are possibilities, Sega took that a step further with the Olympics and the Wii Fit board is bound to open up other avenues for ski and skateboarding.

it is my firm belief that the 360 will outlast the PS3 (and I own a PS3) and its mainly because i see no signs whatsoever that Sony "gets" why they are having such problems. All the developers in the world cannot save your console if you yourself dont get whats wrong (see the Gamecube for Nintendo and the Dreamcast for Sega). Its not just price, its not just games, its the fact the company from day to day cant tell you what it wants to do or how it intends to do it.

Microsoft says we are in the video game business, we want to wow you with graphics and solid games that tell stories. Nintendo says we are thinking outside the box, we want you to have fun playing the games and not worrying about specs.

What does Sony say? We have the biggest and baddest machine on earth, the games will be coming sometime (still not proven to be coming in any more frequency then 1-3 a year at best), but until then watch some movies. Its almost like Sony lost any soul the PSX and the PS2 gave them, or in this case watching them repeat the mistakes Nintendo made with the N64 and the Gamecube when they thought brand would sell regardless. The fact the PS3 is tracking BEHIND the Gamecube is surely troubling to those without blinders on, given the IP's and franchises the PS2 had alone should have meant Sony could thump the other two with little trouble....that is far from the case all over the world (not just Japan and the US).

Sega has lacked purpose since the Dreamcast failed and they went to software only, being partly owned by a Pachinko company does not help. With the Wii though they have found some creativity (whether it came from ******* old licenses is not clear) again and some success in sales. Ghost Squad has sold a surprising amount for a 2004 Arcade Port, enough so to greenlight a House of the Dead release.

Their main problem is they split up their teams when they lost the Dreamcast and a lot of the last gen games lacked focus and were half assed. AM2 is a shade of what it once was, and their other divisions were sent to die a slow painful death until recently.

They do much better when they concentrate on one console imho, I am not saying all their games need to be for the Wii because they don't. But multi platform and Sega do not go well together, its almost disastrous (see the Sonic games for proof) because I think they dont have enough time to work on the strengths of the given platform.

I pretty much agree with you, and am dancing a fit of joy about the house of the dead announcement. I hope they do virtua cop 3 as well! you are right though Sega does do better when they focus. I miss the golden ageof Sonic team and AM2. thought Virtua Fighter 5 IMO is a masterpiece it's my favourite fighting franchise.

and yep if a developer really commits itself to exploiting what the Wii can do - they'll certainly have a HUGE hit on their hands. take it seriously and you'll really make waves.

you are SO right in regards to Sony and the 'shut up and watch a movie' idea because again it seems like more than anything they rushed out the PS3 to get a solid blu-ray user base so that HD wouldn't get a bigger solo foothold. blu-ray is their priorty while gaming is an afterthought. that's what it looks like with the ps3.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    blu-ray is their priorty while gaming is an afterthought. that's what it looks like with the ps3.
    That's kind of sad in a way... Because I think you're right. But on the other hand, can the market really support a 3 almost equally well-selling consoles? No, one has to lose. Big-time.

Might as well be the ones that aren't really even trying, then.

And I don't think hope will ever die among us Nintendo-fans that SF4 will come to the Wii. Ever since the days of Snes there are those of us that feels it simply "belongs" on a Nintendo-console.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    That's kind of sad in a way... Because I think you're right. But on the other hand, can the market really support a 3 almost equally well-selling consoles? No, one has to lose. Big-time.
    The market can support 3 well selling consoles, it already does because the DS is just as much a console as the 360. In fact the US can support at least 4 consoles (DS,Wii,360,PS2)

Look at the last 2 months of sales figures (Sept and Oct NPD US Sales)

Wii 1020K (Yes 1 million)
    Nintendo DS 953K
    Xbox 360 893K
    PSP 570K
    PlayStation 2 399K

That is a total of almost 4 million "consoles" sold in 60 days, and this months will be even higher

The big misconception is that video games are a 2 market industry, thats only because for the longest time it was. Handheld and the Wii have opened up a segment that has not existed since the mid 80's and early 90's

The Wii does not compete as much as co-exists with the PS3 and the 360 (fanboys can debate that all they want but its the truth), the game sales speak for themselves when Carnival Games and Mario Party 8 can move almost (if not surpass) a million units at the same time Halo 3 and Mario Galaxy are bringing in 2-3 million sales.

The biggest surprise of this whole thing to me is not how much the Wii has taken the lead or how fast, its how far behind the PS3 is. The 360 is in great shape and MS knows it, it competes directly with the PS3 and has no real concerns (although I still await to see if it can sustain a library of games like it received this year, if it can its here to stay for the long haul).

For the PS3 I see the following for 2008 (though I expect delays on all but GT5 and MGS)

-Final Fantasy XIII
    -MGS 4
    -Gran Turismo 5 (the Prolouge edition just hit Japan today)
    -Little Big Planet
    -The concept of HOME as social networking/game playing

The Wii has

-Mario Kart Wii
    -Wii Fit
    -Wii Music
    -Smash Bros Brawl

The 360 has

-Too Human
    -GTA IV (The 360 one will be definitive since it gets exclusive episode DLC)
    -Splinter Cell Conviction

Out of all of those listed above I can see most surpassing 1 million units sold, the market is that broad and the titles are that diverse

thought Virtua Fighter 5 IMO is a masterpiece it's my favourite fighting franchise.
    Really? Why?

I mean no disrespect, I'm honestly curious. One of my friends and I were talking about this yesterday, we were both wondering how that series manages to still exist. Because back in the day when the original game came out it in the arcades - and no, i'm not still bitter that my local arcade that I spent just about every Saturday afternoon in growing up closed down and was turned into a dollar store - it was a big thing because it was all 3D and new. Even though I found it to be horribly slow paced and the controls to be way too clunky it was still kind of fun to play because of the fact that it was 3D and that was different. But that was the only thing it had going for it IMO, and now that everything is 3D nowadays, what does that series possibly have to offer that, say, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur hasn't already done, and done much better?

And on a completely unrelated note...

I have a question - well, technically two questions, but it's really the same question just about two different things - about Lego Star Wars: the Complete Saga, the Wii version, specifically, but I doubt it makes a difference. What the hell is the bloody "vehicle smart bomb" extra?! What does it do and how do you use it? And the "beep beep" too, what is that? Does anyone know what those two are? Because I have no clue and there aren't any FAQs online anywhere and it's driving me crazy.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Really? Why?

I mean no disrespect, I'm honestly curious. One of my friends and I were talking about this yesterday, we were both wondering how that series manages to still exist. Because back in the day when the original game came out it in the arcades - and no, i'm not still bitter that my local arcade that I spent just about every Saturday afternoon in growing up closed down and was turned into a dollar store - it was a big thing because it was all 3D and new. Even though I found it to be horribly slow paced and the controls to be way too clunky it was still kind of fun to play because of the fact that it was 3D and that was different. But that was the only thing it had going for it IMO, and now that everything is 3D nowadays, what does that series possibly have to offer that, say, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur hasn't already done, and done much better?

And on a completely unrelated note...

I have a question - well, technically two questions, but it's really the same question just about two different things - about Lego Star Wars: the Complete Saga, the Wii version, specifically, but I doubt it makes a difference. What the hell is the bloody "vehicle smart bomb" extra?! What does it do and how do you use it? And the "beep beep" too, what is that? Does anyone know what those two are? Because I have no clue and there aren't any FAQs online anywhere and it's driving me crazy.
    VF is very Technical. It doesn't sport uber finishers, or over the top superhuman/natural projectiles like in Tekken/SC/MK/SF
    That's why it has such staying power. You can seldom beat a hardcore player with mashing on buttons. Soul Calibur comes close to that, but VF requires a lot more strategy. That, and it's closer realism keeps it around.
    I like VF better than Tekken tbh.
    And that's not to say VF is my favorite series. That distinction goes to Street Fighter. I think SF has just the right blend of strategy, and crazy.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, markatisu I had no idea about half the things you mentioned about the upcoming Wii stuff/rumors. OMG Jet Set Radio? I'd kill for that!!

I agree that Sega is doing better now that it has put out a few "better" games for Wii. I don't play it as much...but my brothers love the Olympics game (8 and 16 years old). As for Square, they are giving the Wii two Crystal Chronicles games, one for WiiWare and the other I am guessing is a traditional release (Crystal Bearers). I plan on buying both!! Haha. I'm really invested in the Final Fantasy series (played every game besides 11) so I hope these are great successes so Square sees the benefit of sticking with the Wii! I don't know about Final Fantasy 13, the PS3 would be great to have but I won't buy it to play one or two games. My brother has a 360, and only uses it to play Assassin's Creed and Halo 3. Lately he has been yelling in frustration cause he can't get the last few stars on Mario Galaxy haha.

I'm very happy with my Wii, although I wish we'd get Call of Duty 4. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for Rock Band, Street Fighter 4, and Resident Evil 5.

The thing that makes it the best in my eyes is that I take it up when my whole family visits my grandparents. And everyone plays it. It's a kick to see my aunts and grandparents bowl, and box lol.

VF is very Technical. It doesn't sport uber finishers, or over the top superhuman/natural projectiles like in Tekken/SC/MK/SF
    That's why it has such staying power. You can seldom beat a hardcore player with mashing on buttons. Soul Calibur comes close to that, but VF requires a lot more strategy. That, and it's closer realism keeps it around.
    I agree, VF for me though topped out at VF3. The recent additions have just seemed prettier to me then really taking the series anywhere.

Same goes for Tekken and MK (at least the Wii controll scheme was a nice change), and I think Soul Calibur reached its peak at II, because I hated III with a passion and do not look forward to IV.

I also agree that Street Fighter is the best series and has lost its way, my favorite I think remains II

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
    Wow, markatisu I had no idea about half the things you mentioned about the upcoming Wii stuff/rumors. OMG Jet Set Radio? I'd kill for that!!
    Yeah the staff that made it is still together (having made a version for the Xbox last gen). But it all depends I think on how well Nights 2 does, that is a pretty big release for Sega to gauge interest in their older catalog of IP's.

I agree that Sega is doing better now that it has put out a few "better" games for Wii. I don't play it as much...but my brothers love the Olympics game (8 and 16 years old).
    Yeah me and my brother just love the Olympic game, I am 29 and he is 35. Sonic Riders 2 looks to be coming along nicely as well, the Gamecube one was problematic but hopefully they can get better control and keep it moving fast.....but with Sonic Team developing you never know what you will get (its like a dice roll between excellent and crap)

As for Square, they are giving the Wii two Crystal Chronicles games, one for WiiWare and the other I am guessing is a traditional release (Crystal Bearers). I plan on buying both!! Haha. I'm really invested in the Final Fantasy series (played every game besides 11) so I hope these are great successes so Square sees the benefit of sticking with the Wii! I don't know about Final Fantasy 13, the PS3 would be great to have but I won't buy it to play one or two games. My brother has a 360, and only uses it to play Assassin's Creed and Halo 3. Lately he has been yelling in frustration cause he can't get the last few stars on Mario Galaxy haha.
    Crystal Bearers has had almost no news since the trailer, and EGM reported a rumor the game may be in trouble. IGN said its fine but that Square is delaying it because they want to see exactly how things are shaping up with the 3 consoles (I guess to decide if the Wii needs more support, or if they should just move from PS3 to 360 and keep Wii the same level, etc). If you played the 1st CC game on the Gamecube you saw the potential so if they want to spend an extra year or so to polish this and make sure its not just a sub par spin off that is fine with me.

I am actually looking forward to their Wii Ware game more though, the premise of town building in the CC mythos has intrigued me. Rumors are the assets for that game are around 25-30mb so they should be able to pack quite a bit of content in for the hinted at $10-15 price tag.

I'm very happy with my Wii, although I wish we'd get Call of Duty 4. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for Rock Band, Street Fighter 4, and Resident Evil 5.
    Well Rock Band "should" be coming, the GH3 sales on the Wii all but guaranteed that, however Harmonix and EA are having enough problems getting supply that works (not broken guitars) in the retail world for the 360 and PS3 version so I would look more to summer for that release.

Call of Duty 4 wont happen, its just way too advanced imho to even attempt a port because everyone saw how horrible COD3 was on the Wii, I dont think the developer would be too keen on trying to move everything either.

Resident Evil is a very distinct possibility, one reason is we still dont know what the game is and given the history of RE4 it could change 2-3 times before its released. With the massive sales of RE4 Wii (going to sell 1 million worldwide by Spring if not christmas) and REUC selling very good (Japan has sold almost 150-200k and the US is rumored to have sold a good 300k already) the RE brand is strong with Nintendo.

Remember Capcom only said they intended to sell worldwide 450k of RE4 on the Wii (they sold so far almost 3x that) and about 650k of REUC (which I am almost sure after Christmas they will if not before).

The thing that makes it the best in my eyes is that I take it up when my whole family visits my grandparents. And everyone plays it. It's a kick to see my aunts and grandparents bowl, and box lol.
    I have to agree, I have been with my wife for 7 years and in all that time the only system she has ever played with any passion is the DS. Since we got the Wii she has logged more hours in Wii Sports and Fire Emblem then I have in any other game and we own quite a few. She also wants to play Mario Galaxy with me a lot because she loves the 2nd play co-op (and I do too because you would not believe how liberating is to not worry about those damn star bits).

We have owned/own every system out except the 360, in 7 years the only one she wants to play is the Wii so I think that speaks for itself as to the appeal of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Really? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    And that's not to say VF is my favorite series. That distinction goes to Street Fighter. I think SF has just the right blend of strategy, and crazy.
    TheDeviot mostly says why I feel it's a masterpiece. to me it's the CLOSEST to real martial arts in terms of how you react and strategize and the amount of moves per character is insane. it just appeals to me because it's so technical and when you play a master against a master for my money it's almost as good as watching (or partaking in)a great (nearly wire fighting free) kung fu movie. and you do have to be fast, the way you dodge and those move come at you quick. it's the only game I know of that you can be killed - energy drained in less than 10 seconds. Trust me a friend of mine was watching me play against someone else - I was Shun Di (IMO the GREATEST motion capture video character to this day) and I didn't fight back, I just tried to dodge every attack he threw at me. I was successful and my firend watching just said "that old guy is so fast!" in reality Shun is one of the slower characters. so that's what is so neat the game is pretty dependent on your skill. I LOVE that! biggest problem is it's HARD to find competition but when you do - you're in for a bout!!

Also in regards to MK Tobias and Boon looked at VF as the template of what they were competeing with when they stepped into the 3d world. They were gunning at THEM not tekken not SC but VF - reason being they regarded that as technical finery and wanted to bring that into the MK world. though they didn't succeed they did still make some good stuff. the titles you mentioned just can't compete in terms of realism and strategy and for me that feeling of making a classic kung fu scene. as was said Soul Calibur does a nice job of adding some of those things, but it's still more arcadey than VF.

Those other fighter, just don't compete for my money. though I do ran SF as a second and I DID enjoy SF 3 though I know they dropped the ball but losing so many classic characters and taking the focus off of Ryu and Ken (did they learn nothing from the live action movie??

I agree, VF for me though topped out at VF3. The recent additions have just seemed prettier to me then really taking the series anywhere.

The thing with VF 3 that I wish they never took out is the multilevel realistic terrains. that added such a nice factor in terms of fight style and strategy. but they wanted to try to broaden to appeal to the mass market with 4 so they did arcade it up a bit. BUT the amped up moves list the removal of the dodge button and changing it to a joystick motion (similar to the SF 3 Parry) made dodging feel more intuitive the addition of different fighting stances per character and in VF 5 El Blaze is a BLAST to play. he's a GREAT addition. though I do mniss Takaarashi.

anyway no offense to the other guys but for me VF is the king. I know it's not going to appeal to everyone but in my mind it's the thinking man's fighter and I love that.

funny thing is on the other hand I HATE driving sims and all I want is a straight arcade style racer, some options to tune and stuff but I hate the grand turismos and such, give me Scud Race ANY day (for those who went to arcades in the late 90s. sigh...
    Last edited by krosfyah; December 13, 2007 at 11:00am.

Fear is faith in failure

funny thing is on the other hand I HATE driving sims and all I want is a straight arcade style racer, some options to tune and stuff but I hate the grand turismos and such, give me Scud Race ANY day (for those who went to arcades in the late 90s. sigh...
    AMEN to that! I cant stand the realistic racing sims. I have never liked Gran Turismo, Sega GT, or anything of that nature.

I had more fun with the super low budget Cruis'n (a basic dirt poor port of Fast and the Furious Arcade) on Wii this week then I had in any of the racing/driving sims of the last 5-7 years.

I still say Excite Truck for the Wii is the greatest racing game I've ever played.

It's crack on wheels.

I am FINALLY going to get around to picking that up after Christmas , it should have sold well enough to greenlight a sequel that will hopefully have online play and Mii intergration.

Am I the only one who hates racing games that are NOT Kart based?

R.C. Pro-Am for the NES is STILL the greatest racing game ever, IMO, with the Mario Kart series a close second......

When is R.C. PA ever gonna be released on the Virtual Console? Developed by Rare, BTW......
    This space for rent, apparently.....

4-Wheeled Heroic Warrior Wheelor's Avatar
    I want a 80G PS3. Where is my best option for getting it?
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I want a 80G PS3. Where is my best option for getting it?
    What do you mean? Where to get it? I think the only option available is the Motostorm bundle, I don't remember the 80gb being sold by itself just yet

The only other unit is the 40gb which has no backwards compatibility

The other models (the 20gb and the 60gb) have been phased out, the 60gb is the best of the bunch since it still retains all the original hardware

What do you mean? Where to get it? I think the only option available is the Motostorm bundle, I don't remember the 80gb being sold by itself just yet

The other models (the 20gb and the 60gb) have been phased out, the 60gb is the best of the bunch since it still retains all the original hardware
    I mean are there any free blu-ray specials going on that would steer me toward one store over another.
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

I mean are there any free blu-ray specials going on that would steer me toward one store over another.
    Not this week that I can find, I know last week when Pirates 3 came out the Hastings video rental chain was offering 5 free movies in store when you got a PS3.

Best Buy has those offers on and off but not this week (this week you get HD-DVD movies when you buy the 360 HD add-on).

So if you get getting it this week you will only be able to get the Sony offer

I can wait for a deal. Im not in that much of a rush as i have a 360 and a Wii.
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

Well, I believe Buena Vista is still offering 5 select free titles by mail with purchase. For individual stores, you'd have to check the weekly ads to see if anyone's giving anything else away with it.

I ALMOST bought the 360 HD drive when Best Buy was offering Heroes S1 and any 2 HD titles free. (It also included King Kong packaged in with the drive, + 5 free HD discs by mail, so it would have come out to 8 free discs + Heroes and the drive for $180, but all the Best Buys were out of Heroes that week, so I passed.....)
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Well, I believe Buena Vista is still offering 5 select free titles by mail with purchase. For individual stores, you'd have to check the weekly ads to see if anyone's giving anything else away with it.

I ALMOST bought the 360 HD drive when Best Buy was offering Heroes S1 and any 2 HD titles free. (It also included King Kong packaged in with the drive, + 5 free HD discs by mail, so it would have come out to 8 free discs + Heroes and the drive for $180, but all the Best Buys were out of Heroes that week, so I passed.....)
    I highly reccomend the 360 drive. Excellent entry level HD-DVD player. In my estimation much better than the A2 Standalone.
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    yeah I would just check the ads every week, next week Best Buy is doing a Buy 1 Get 1 free on Blu-Ray discs so I am sure after Christmas is over they will do a deal like they did with the 360 HD drive because they will want to move PS3's (especially given Best Buys ties to Sony)

LIES! It can still play PS1 games......just not ps2 games
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"