Page 154 of 351 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

** Removed really snarky message for everybody's benefit **
    Last edited by IronAvatar; January 7, 2008 at 03:59pm.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

I wonder if this will kill the rumors that MGS4 will go to the 360

Its from the Sony booth at CES
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

While it doesn't bother me either way if MGS4 is PS3 exclusive or not, there's always the possibility of it being a TIMED exclusive. Where it may come out on the 360 6-12 months after the PS3 version. Similar to Virtua Fighter 5. I'm sure SONY will pay almost anything it can to Konami to keep it on the PS3 only. It's just up to Kojima if he thinks it'll be in Konami's best interest to port it over to the 360. Since we all know how well the 360 is doing in Japan......

I've got both systems, so it really doesn't matter to me which console it's on. Maybe if there's DLC or online play, it might sway me to 360, but if not, I have nothing against getting it for PS3......
    This space for rent, apparently.....

I just tried hooking up the HDMI cable to my ps3 and tv. I switched to the input channel its on and I can hear the sound but I can't see any picture. Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    While it doesn't bother me either way if MGS4 is PS3 exclusive or not, there's always the possibility of it being a TIMED exclusive. Where it may come out on the 360 6-12 months after the PS3 version. Similar to Virtua Fighter 5. I'm sure SONY will pay almost anything it can to Konami to keep it on the PS3 only. It's just up to Kojima if he thinks it'll be in Konami's best interest to port it over to the 360. Since we all know how well the 360 is doing in Japan.....
    I was thinking the same thing, especially since Haze, Lost Planet, and Unreal III were all "timed" exclusives.

If it tanks though (tanking in this instance meaning not selling 1 million units) you can better believe they will find a way to release it on the 360 to recoup costs.

I just tried hooking up the HDMI cable to my ps3 and tv. I switched to the input channel its on and I can hear the sound but I can't see any picture. Anyone got any ideas?
    Did you have the HDMI plugged in before you turned on the PS3? If not then turn off the TV and turn off the PS3, make sure the HDMI is plugged into both and then turn on the PS3 followed by your TV.

The PS3 should automatically detect the HDMI cable and at least bring up the settings menu so you can tell it all you want it to do (there are a ton of options regarding video and audio)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Did you have the HDMI plugged in before you turned on the PS3? If not then turn off the TV and turn off the PS3, make sure the HDMI is plugged into both and then turn on the PS3 followed by your TV.
    Agreed. Cables just don't operate the same these days; the devices have to send "greeting" signals to each other first before they send the actual TV signal.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    Agreed. Cables just don't operate the same these days; the devices have to send "greeting" signals to each other first before they send the actual TV signal.
    Exactly and HDMI can be very picky about the handshake. Recently I have been having a problem with my digital cable box being able to find the HDMI connection when I change from the PS3 or Toshiba A2 HD-DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I had to exit the movie i was watching and mess around with the settings on the ps3. I wanted to be able to switch back and forth from hdmi to the other connection so i could see the difference but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Are those really the first public pictures?! I thought some had been released by now. I can't keep public and private pictures straight these days, I guess.

I can say that BOTH Batman and Indy look great. A lot like Star Wars...

-Brett
    Who looks pretty awesome too.

={+}=

Quote Originally Posted by redskyy View Post
    Radiant Dawn is a direct sequel to Path of Radiance, but you don't need to play PoR to understand anything in RD. There really isn't much Wii-specific improvements in the sequel, so it would be better to start with PoR first. You can actually load up your PoR save in RD for special incentives. While they do a good job of explaining story elements from PoR, it would be much more enjoyable to experience them first-hand. You see many of the same characters and see some of the same locales.

As for where to find Path of Radience, keep checking GameQuestDirect. They are generally good at having out-of-stock games, but they don't currently have PoR in stock.
    That's what I figured. I want to find the first game before I play the second one. Thanks for the link as well.

Fire Emblem rocks!! The new one is super duper hard in comparison to its predecessor so anyone who wants to get into Fire Emblem should definitly start with the GC Path of Radiance (it will also get you filled in more on the story that continues in the Wii one). Its a very traditional game, in the sense it does not have super flashy graphics or CGI movies, its based on pure strategy gameplay and thought. The Wii version though has some beautiful CGI rendered movies, and they have made some tweaks to the gameplay engine to take advantage of the Wii, but nothing that probably could not have been done on the GC.

When we play the Wii version I turn off the fighting movies, change the speed to fast, and the game plays a lot better imho.

I am still hoping for a remake of Fire Emblem 1 on either the DS or the Wii or an English translation on the Virtual Console, it should be noted that the Wii version has sold 2x what Path of Radiance did on the GC in both JP and the US so we should see another Wii one announced sometime in the next few years (it takes them about 2 years to make one for consoles). They have already announced another DS version, but the storyline is still a secret.

Its amazing that Fire Emblem was all but banned from the US by Nintendo until its popularity spiked with Super Smash Bros Melee appearances by Marth and Roy. The Fire Emblem additions to Super Smash Bros Brawl are amazing as well with the destructible castle.
    I don't really care that there is no motion/IR included for the hell of it. If it doesn't need it, then they shouldn't implement it. I'm also glad it is a successful franchise, since I'm sure I'll look forward to more games once I finish playing these. Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Anyways. I've noticed that my WiiMote and Zapper jumps around on the screen a lot. I have my sensor bar placed on top of the tv, but here is the problem The top of my tv is slightly slanted so the bar isn't perfectly flat, so I think that is the problem. I can't put it at the base of the TV because the tv is too big. uhg.
    I recently ran into this problem. I thought the sensor bar was running out of juice, but it turns out I had the sensitivity of the Wiimote too high. It was picking up a third source of infrared, so it kept on jumping. So I lowered the sensitivity so that the only infrared sources it could read were the strong ones coming from the sensor bar. Go into the Wii settings and adjust this option (I have it on a middle setting (3?)).
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    PSX >>>>>>> N64
    N64 has square heads omg lolz rofl n00b

P.S. that was meant to lighten up the mood a little
    nice one! brings me waaaay back to the easrly days of IGN

I wonder what the terms of the agreement are, as was said if it tanks I don't doubt we'll see a 360 version sometime soon, or they might do a capcom, (when they released street fighter 2 on the genesis even though it was a snes exclusive - they just renamed it - basically)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Sony's reporting 1.2 million units moved during the Holidays for the PS3.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...2_Million/1343
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Sony's reporting 1.2 million units moved during the Holidays for the PS3.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...2_Million/1343
    Yeah but you have to keep in mind thats the last week of Nov (Black Friday) and all of December.

In perspective the other systems most likely sold anywhere from 2-3 million each which makes their announcement that the PS3 did average (and not real good news for Sony in general since December is the biggest sales month for consoles the entire year).

We will know better in about a week when the real numbers for December come out to show how well the price cut and sales actually did.

Those screenshots of LEGO Batman have me really excited about the game. I particularly liked seeing some of the Rogues Gallery. I was hoping to have a purple Catwoman, but I'm just glad to see her among faces like the Scarecrow and Joker.

You guys should all check out the Little Big Planet CES Video

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...bigconvention/

I am telling you, Sony could have a big hit on their hands if they market this correctly and do not botch it by pushing HOME instead

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    You guys should all check out the Little Big Planet CES Video

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...bigconvention/

I am telling you, Sony could have a big hit on their hands if they market this correctly and do not botch it by pushing HOME instead
    That does look really awesome. But I think Sony needs to push both HOME and Little Big Planet separately. The fact that LBP will create a large community in and of itself with a FREE online service is going to make this game very successful. It's taking the Mii creation of the Wii and creating something beyond anything we've yet seen on a console.

I originally thought this game was gonna come out before the summer though. As much as I loved last year's flood of AAA titles, I really hope publishers don't delay all their games again for this holiday season. My wallet was literally screaming at me for spending so much money on games these past two months.

On an unrelated note, I got Assassin's Creed over the holidays for the PS3 and I can understand why the media reviews was very mixed on this game. On one hand, it's a very beautiful game trying to do something new and unique. On the other hand, the depth in the city doesn't substitute the lack of depth in game play. It's very shallow and I don't feel any connection with the character or storyline.

In addition, the PS3 version is super sluggish...I've never played a game with such terrible framerate issues. Is the 360 version the same way? IGN says the 360 version is a little bit better, but I really think the PS3 could have easily run better if it was the lead console.

Anyhow, I'm barely 5 hours into the game, so hopefully the plot picks up...or else it's going into my pile of unfinished games.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    On an unrelated note, I got Assassin's Creed over the holidays for the PS3 and I can understand why the media reviews was very mixed on this game. On one hand, it's a very beautiful game trying to do something new and unique. On the other hand, the depth in the city doesn't substitute the lack of depth in game play. It's very shallow and I don't feel any connection with the character or storyline.

In addition, the PS3 version is super sluggish...I've never played a game with such terrible framerate issues. Is the 360 version the same way? IGN says the 360 version is a little bit better, but I really think the PS3 could have easily run better if it was the lead console.
    The 360 I think just got a patch as well so the framerate might be adjusted. Also the firmware you have makes a difference, a lot of people who opted not to upgrade to 2.0 run the game fine, they created a patch in 2.1 that fixed some problems that made the game freeze or go wonky (after about 2 weeks of Ubisoft blaming Sony and vice versa), but there are still issues

But I agree, I posted my impressions back around the 1st part of December when my brother rented it (I since bought it for him when Best Buy sold it for $35 the week before Xmas). It is a very pretty game but the missions are too tedious and worn out, I mean how many times can you do the same thing before you stop really caring.

The storyline is also very take it or leave it, I mean I think they should have retained some of the stuff you learn at the very begining to go to the end as it would have more of an impact.

It's weird. I've played it on one PS3 and it ran as well, if not better than the 360 version, but then I've also played it on another PS3 and the framerate reminded me of the N64 days before I got the expansion pack and tried playing quarterback club 2000.....absolute crap. markatisu made a good point about the firmware. anytime a firmware or operating system gets a patch/update some software could experience some problems that weren't originally there. I've experienced the same thing when playing Rainbow Six Vegas over friends' houses.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

markatisu made a good point about the firmware. anytime a firmware or operating system gets a patch/update some software could experience some problems that weren't originally there. I've experienced the same thing when playing Rainbow Six Vegas over friends' houses.
    Yeah there are a lot of reports that the games playability changes based on whether you have 1.9, 2.0 or 2.1

2.0 basically broke the game for a lot of people and 2.1 was supposed to fix it

The only problem is I think you cant use the PSN if you have 1.9

That does look really awesome. But I think Sony needs to push both HOME and Little Big Planet separately. The fact that LBP will create a large community in and of itself with a FREE online service is going to make this game very successful. It's taking the Mii creation of the Wii and creating something beyond anything we've yet seen on a console.
    I can't say that I'm looking forward to home...it's more an on-line community thing...sort of like web-chat for the 21st century. But LBP has had me excited ever since I saw the first gameplay video.

I originally thought this game was gonna come out before the summer though. As much as I loved last year's flood of AAA titles, I really hope publishers don't delay all their games again for this holiday season. My wallet was literally screaming at me for spending so much money on games these past two months.
    Unfortunately, the next quarter is traditionaly a dead season for video games releases. The industry tends to lean towards all the big titles coming out just before or during the Christmas period, which never made sense to me. How can you exepct to sell copies when the market is flooded with great new titles at the same time, all with huge advertising budgets.

but I really think the PS3 could have easily run better if it was the lead console.
    Yeah well, right now the PS3 is everybody's poor relation and Ubi are especially guilty for not puting the effort into make their games work properly for it. I think if anything, the current generation of consoles is going to make the multi-platform release a less attractive prospect as the consoles are just too different in how they do the same things.

Which sort of pleases me to be honest, especially when I look at something like Ace Combat 6 on the 360. It's such an amazing game, and really only because the team had to concentrate on one single platform and haven't had to invest a huge amount of man-power in setting themselves up for mult-platform development (which isn't so hard in my experience, just a drain on resources). Instead, they've set themselves up for one platform and used as much time as they can creating a great game

It's the only game so far that's made me want to rush out and buy a 360...maybe if I ask my wife nicely, she'll let me buy one
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    Which sort of pleases me to be honest, especially when I look at something like Ace Combat 6 on the 360. It's such an amazing game, and really only because the team had to concentrate on one single platform and haven't had to invest a huge amount of man-power in setting themselves up for mult-platform development (which isn't so hard in my experience, just a drain on resources). Instead, they've set themselves up for one platform and used as much time as they can creating a great game

It's the only game so far that's made me want to rush out and buy a 360...maybe if I ask my wife nicely, she'll let me buy one
    I just played this game at our local Target and I must say it is very well done, it also moved a bunch of 360's in Japan which is a big deal from a developer standpoint since the 360 is a horrid seller in that region.

I wish more developers/companies would do that for their games because we have seen if that happens the games are very well made (Mario Galaxy on the Wii and Uncharted on the PS3 for instance). I am not for multi platform gaming, I think games should be based on the consoles strengths and weaknesses.

Just make sure if you get a 360 you get one with the 175w power, those are the new chips and fan systems that have a less change to get the red ring of death

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    It's weird. I've played it on one PS3 and it ran as well, if not better than the 360 version, but then I've also played it on another PS3 and the framerate reminded me of the N64 days before I got the expansion pack and tried playing quarterback club 2000.....absolute crap. markatisu made a good point about the firmware. anytime a firmware or operating system gets a patch/update some software could experience some problems that weren't originally there. I've experienced the same thing when playing Rainbow Six Vegas over friends' houses.
    That's a great analogy. It does feel like a game back in the 32/64 bit era. I mean, it's playable, but after playing very polished games like Uncharted and Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed is the complete opposite.

Yeah there are a lot of reports that the games playability changes based on whether you have 1.9, 2.0 or 2.1

2.0 basically broke the game for a lot of people and 2.1 was supposed to fix it

The only problem is I think you cant use the PSN if you have 1.9
    When I first inserted the disc, the PS3 told me there was a patch that I needed to download and install so may be the PS3 version also got updated? Even then, I still think the game struggles to get at least 24fps at any given time. There was a point where I jumped from a building into hay and I got stuck in the hay....I couldn't move or anything and had to restart the game over again. Luckily, I just hit a save point so I didn't have to do very much to get back to where I originally was.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to home...it's more an on-line community thing...sort of like web-chat for the 21st century. But LBP has had me excited ever since I saw the first gameplay video.
    Yeah, it definitely is more of an online community thing and since I only have like 4 or 5 people on my friends list, I doubt it's going to be fun for me. I guess I like the fact that Sony isn't just copying XBL; they're doing something totally different from Microsoft. It's like FaceBook meets The Sims...and if done correctly, could gain Sony some added brownie points from consumers.

Unfortunately, the next quarter is traditionaly a dead season for video games releases. The industry tends to lean towards all the big titles coming out just before or during the Christmas period, which never made sense to me. How can you exepct to sell copies when the market is flooded with great new titles at the same time, all with huge advertising budgets.
    True, but we have Burnout coming out in 2 weeks, Devil May Cry and Smash Bros. in February...GTA IV possibly in May or June and may be Mario Kart in the summer, though I'd bet Nintendo pushes that to August or September. Oh and Metal Gear somewhere in Q2...so I think publishers are gradually changing when games get released...but it'll always be a glut of games at the end of the year.

When I first inserted the disc, the PS3 told me there was a patch that I needed to download and install so may be the PS3 version also got updated? Even then, I still think the game struggles to get at least 24fps at any given time. There was a point where I jumped from a building into hay and I got stuck in the hay....I couldn't move or anything and had to restart the game over again. Luckily, I just hit a save point so I didn't have to do very much to get back to where I originally was.
    Sounds like you were one of the people affected by the problems

Wasn't Ace Combat 6 rumored to come out for PS3 eventually? I've always been a fan of the Ace Combat series, especially 5 for the PS2, and I might have to con my roommate at college into buying 6 for his 360, just like I'm gonna hafta con him into buying Resident Evil UC for his Wii.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

True, but we have Burnout coming out in 2 weeks, Devil May Cry and Smash Bros. in February...GTA IV possibly in May or June and may be Mario Kart in the summer, though I'd bet Nintendo pushes that to August or September. Oh and Metal Gear somewhere in Q2...so I think publishers are gradually changing when games get released...but it'll always be a glut of games at the end of the year.
    And they all have one thing in common; they are existing IP's with a ready made target audience. So there really isn't the need to rely on the Christmas rush thing like other titles have to.

But I agree....it is a bit different from the past, where even the IP's like these would be released at the end of the year to maximise sales. I just wish the smaller titles and publishers would do the same is all.

Wasn't Ace Combat 6 rumored to come out for PS3 eventually? I've always been a fan of the Ace Combat series, especially 5 for the PS2, and I might have to con my roommate at college into buying 6 for his 360, just like I'm gonna hafta con him into buying Resident Evil UC for his Wii.
    I'm not sure abut that. I thought the eventually part was going to be like late 2008 or in 2009, rather than it being some big priority. Not sure if I want to wait that long for a game that's already on the 360.

And PJ....your post count is 666! Spoooooky!
    Last edited by IronAvatar; January 8, 2008 at 05:21pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost