Page 156 of 351 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 8774

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Yes the deal is no longer valid, but my order has yet to be cancelled

There were a TON of Walmart video game deals this morning so I cant believe it was just a random pricing error.

They had things like Turok and Haze for $40, Lost Planet on the 360 for $30, Burnout Paradise for $30
    Let's just hope they didn't REALLY screw up and end up shipping you the Gamecube disc.......
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Let's just hope they didn't REALLY screw up and end up shipping you the Gamecube disc.......
    Well for $19.82 I could actually make a $10 profit on the used games market
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

They canceled my order!

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    They canceled my order!
    yeah they cancelled mine too, I read some people ordered 5-10 copies so it was going to be shut down

Oh and I rented Harvey Birdman for the Wii, excellent game. Another top title from Capcom (alongside RE4 Wii, REUC, and Zack and Wiki), quickly becomming my favorite 3rd party.

It follows the Apollo Justice/Phoenix Wright series pretty well (point and click to select your actions like examine, talk, present, move to a new location), but its not nearly as complicated (some court battles can take 1hr in the PW games) and if you are not a fan of the show or of Adult Swim then stay far away.

The humor is like watching an episode and the jokes are adult fare (the 1st scene Harvey is doing a crossword puzzle about arousals, and later in the 1st case you deal with his wife Gigi who is a bit of a *****)

The animation is spot on (probably because its all rendered or flash style), so it looks like you are watching an episode of the show. The cases are not hard but you get 4-5 "lives" to make mistakes, some of the questions can be really tricky and involve you thinking through what was presented in the dialog/movies.

Its a great game, it looks to be short and I dont think there is much replay value so it might be best as a rental unless you are a fan of the show and of Adult Swim. The menu says something about Unlockables but I am only on Case 2 so I have not unlocked anything yet.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Resistance 2 has just been announced. Sounds interesting

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184625.html

EDIT: I finally got my Wii connected online. I can't find my manual anywhere so I had a question. When i shut it off now it has a yellow light instead of red/orange. That means its connected right?
    Last edited by wolf-manj; January 12, 2008 at 11:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post

EDIT: I finally got my Wii connected online. I can't find my manual anywhere so I had a question. When i shut it off now it has a yellow light instead of red/orange. That means its connected right?
    Another game to look forward to! I'm generaly not a fan of fps games on console, but Resistance really hooked me. It had a solid story that really dragged you into the alternate history and brilliant, well polished gameplay.

I was hoping it sold enough to justify continuing on with the series. From what I know, the guys at Insomniac were planning to implement texture streaming for this game to really make the level graphics something to stop and take notice of. The one thing that sort of blemished the first game was some really repetitive texturing in the levels.

*** A plea to Wii Owners ***

Can I make a suggestion to people? I know that most of the visitors to this thread are Wii owners, it is after all the top selling console *feels a little more of myself die inside* and I wonder, how many of you leave the console on stand-by while not using it? The Wii may not be the most computationaly powerfull console, but when it's connected during standby, it draws quite a bit of power compared to the 360 and PS3. It draws 15-watts to be exact, compared to 1-watt for the PS3 and 2-3 watts for the 360 (or something like that).

Please, for the love of all that is holy, can people think about turning of thier Wii's completely when not in use? Electronic equipment in standby mode is one of the biggest energy-wasters in the home, next to incandesant light-bulbs, which is why we never leave anything on standby, even the PS3.

With something like 12-14 million Wii's, the combined power while on standby over the course of a single year results in a number way up in the Giga-watt range. I worked it out last year, and I think it's enough power to send Marty McFly on 21 time travel trips in the DeLorean (great Scott!)

So y'know...I know you loose things like the weather service and updates while you sleep, but is that a good reason to waste so much energy? And come to think of it, the same goes for pretty much anything on standby; tv's, stereos, monitors etc.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    I just bought Batallion Wars 2 for Wii, its cool being able to play online. On a side note i managed to get my hands on one of Gamecube's rarest games Ikaruga. Anybody plyed it before???
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post

It sure does. Youre good to go
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    *** A plea to Wii Owners ***

Can I make a suggestion to people? I know that most of the visitors to this thread are Wii owners, it is after all the top selling console *feels a little more of myself die inside* and I wonder, how many of you leave the console on stand-by while not using it? The Wii may not be the most computationaly powerfull console, but when it's connected during standby, it draws quite a bit of power compared to the 360 and PS3. It draws 15-watts to be exact, compared to 1-watt for the PS3 and 2-3 watts for the 360 (or something like that).

Please, for the love of all that is holy, can people think about turning of thier Wii's completely when not in use? Electronic equipment in standby mode is one of the biggest energy-wasters in the home, next to incandesant light-bulbs, which is why we never leave anything on standby, even the PS3.

With something like 12-14 million Wii's, the combined power while on standby over the course of a single year results in a number way up in the Giga-watt range. I worked it out last year, and I think it's enough power to send Marty McFly on 21 time travel trips in the DeLorean (great Scott!)

So y'know...I know you loose things like the weather service and updates while you sleep, but is that a good reason to waste so much energy? And come to think of it, the same goes for pretty much anything on standby; tv's, stereos, monitors etc.
    I just adjusted the options recently so that it still connects to the internet when you turn it on, but it turns fully off when I turn it off. I did it mostly because it tends to get quite warm when you leave it on standby. But it's a good point you bring up.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by mannyscollectibles View Post
    I just bought Batallion Wars 2 for Wii, its cool being able to play online. On a side note i managed to get my hands on one of Gamecube's rarest games Ikaruga. Anybody plyed it before???
    I used to have Ikaruga but I sold it for a gripload.

It's pretty dang rad.
    A Postmodern Man For the 21st Century.

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalChemical View Post
    I used to have Ikaruga but I sold it for a gripload.

It's pretty dang rad.

I bought a used copy for 30 bucks? I imagine thats a good price
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

it is after all the top selling console *feels a little more of myself die inside*

I have a question for you, I have been thinking about this for some reason lately and as you're the only game developer I know of I was curious, is the game industry similar to the movie industry in terms of how people look at making games? it seems some people/studios only want to create big epic games with serious storylines and high production values similar to some film makers out there who kind of go for the oscar material every time they head out. then you have the Michael Bays who love to just make adrenalaine movies, then you have various levels of comedy films, then family movies. now some look down their noses at things that are everything but drama while others don't care to do anything but low brow parodies and so forth.

is it the same in the gaming industry? it seems that way with some fans (only want fps games with intense stories and 'mature' content and they thumb their noses at fun family oriented games, then there are those that just want to have fun and can't stand the glut of fps games out there.

anyway your comment here (aside from your beef with nintendo as a company) reminded me of that thought (not saying you are that type of developer but it reminded me of the thought none the less) now I'm not asking what YOUR politics are industry wise more so asking if there is a separation like that within the industry.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

My wife and I just beat Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and it is amazing all the way through. Sony should have pushed the hell out of this game because it to me is worth $59.99

We finished with 52 out of the 60 treasures and would glady play it again (we played on Normal). The story is top notch as is the acting, I REALLY hope sales pick up again in the US (we will find out how well it did in its 2nd month this week when Dec NPD sales are released), and it is selling very well in the EU/UK.

If you have not at least rented it (NOT the Demo, the Demo is VERY different and actually overemphasis the gun play) you are doing yourself a disservice.

They need to add more puzzles in a sequel but surving the main church (where you have to ring the bells and then later get to the cavern below) as well trying to escape the underbelly of the monestery alive is sooooo worth the 22 chapters!!

I again recommend this to any Tomb Raider fan, this is what you have been waiting for in a "next-gen" Tomb Raider sequel, its a shame it did not come from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics.

My wife and I just beat Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and it is amazing all the way through. Sony should have pushed the hell out of this game because it to me is worth $59.99

We finished with 52 out of the 60 treasures and would glady play it again (we played on Normal). The story is top notch as is the acting, I REALLY hope sales pick up again in the US (we will find out how well it did in its 2nd month this week when Dec NPD sales are released), and it is selling very well in the EU/UK.

If you have not at least rented it (NOT the Demo, the Demo is VERY different and actually overemphasis the gun play) you are doing yourself a disservice.

They need to add more puzzles in a sequel but surving the main church (where you have to ring the bells and then later get to the cavern below) as well trying to escape the underbelly of the monestery alive is sooooo worth the 22 chapters!!

I again recommend this to any Tomb Raider fan, this is what you have been waiting for in a "next-gen" Tomb Raider sequel, its a shame it did not come from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics.
    who made the game? it looks like a lot of fun but I don't have a ps3 and probably won't ever get one on my own. and the only friend that has one lives too far for me to really go over and play.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    who made the game? it looks like a lot of fun but I don't have a ps3 and probably won't ever get one on my own. and the only friend that has one lives too far for me to really go over and play.
    Naughty Dog, the guys behind Jak an Daxter

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1 View Post
    It sure does. Youre good to go
    ok now i have another question. How exactly do i add people to the friends list? Do i just put their wii console number in my address book or is there more to it?

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    I just adjusted the options recently so that it still connects to the internet when you turn it on, but it turns fully off when I turn it off. I did it mostly because it tends to get quite warm when you leave it on standby. But it's a good point you bring up.
    Hi,

How did you do that, I did this:

- Wii Menu(Click on the left button on the main menu of the Wii)
    - Wii Configuration
    - WiiConnect24
    - Standby Mode

And in this last one I just selected "no"

Now when I turn off my Wii, instead of the Orange Light, I have the Red Light on the power button, s this the way you did it?

I´ll appreciate any help, because I also don´t like how warm the Wii gets on the Standby mode, and now with IronAvatar said I´m more concern

Thanks.

Later...
    Have You Ever Felt the True Power of the Cosmo?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Hi,

How did you do that, I did this:

- Wii Menu(Click on the left button on the main menu of the Wii)
    - Wii Configuration
    - WiiConnect24
    - Standby Mode

And in this last one I just selected "no"

Now when I turn off my Wii, instead of the Orange Light, I have the Red Light on the power button, s this the way you did it?

I´ll appreciate any help, because I also don´t like how warm the Wii gets on the Standby mode, and now with IronAvatar said I´m more concern

Thanks.

Later...
    That's correct. I believe there is another option to turn the online portion off altogether, but that's not what we want. This way, it will connect online when you turn on the console, and disconnect when you turn it off.

wolf-manj, you punch in the other person's wii code, then they have to do the same, and then you will be friends. It doesn't send the other person a message that says you added them though, so they have to know to put in your code too.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I have a question for you, I have been thinking about this for some reason lately and as you're the only game developer I know of I was curious, is the game industry similar to the movie industry in terms of how people look at making games? it seems some people/studios only want to create big epic games with serious storylines and high production values similar to some film makers out there who kind of go for the oscar material every time they head out. then you have the Michael Bays who love to just make adrenalaine movies, then you have various levels of comedy films, then family movies. now some look down their noses at things that are everything but drama while others don't care to do anything but low brow parodies and so forth.

is it the same in the gaming industry? it seems that way with some fans (only want fps games with intense stories and 'mature' content and they thumb their noses at fun family oriented games, then there are those that just want to have fun and can't stand the glut of fps games out there.

anyway your comment here (aside from your beef with nintendo as a company) reminded me of that thought (not saying you are that type of developer but it reminded me of the thought none the less) now I'm not asking what YOUR politics are industry wise more so asking if there is a separation like that within the industry.

That's a VERY good question that you ask, and I think you've already pointed out the answer for yourself. The industry is for the most part, full of people who love to play video games, and this part of the reason that they became game developers.

Most studios that are no part of a large publisher, tend to have one creative vision at the helm. Like Gabe Newel at Valve, or Hideo Kojima at Konami-Kojima, and they tend to have an idea of the ultimate games that they want to play, that is, a certain vision of what makes a fun game or what should be fun about a certain genre.

You can see this as well with publisher owned devs that try to maintain a certain independance like Criterion EA, who's creative director is a guy named Alex Ward. His inspiration is from older arcade games and tries to push through that "short adreneline pumping experience" in the games that Criterion make (Burnout, Black). Anything that doesn't do that, he's not interested in.

And most publisher owned studios...well....they tend to focus on just pushing out stuff for the masses. While the staff working on the games will try to make them as good as they can, ultimately a lot of the descisions about what the game is and what features it will have will come from above. And beause these big publishers have so much cash at hand, a bad game won't hurt them all that much (if at all) so, making a good/fun/original game is a secondary goal for them.

What they want is market dominance and to be able to give good progress reports to thier share holders. And you can see this with how a publisher like EA has reacted to new markets, like mobile phone games. They don't want to make good games or push the envelope of the business model, all they want to do is dominate the market by pushing out any old crap, so that they can say to thier share holders "we've pushed all the small fish out of the pond" and everybody is happy.

I'd say that apart from the big publishers, it's not so much a political thing but more about the creative head's tastes (much like a producer/director in the movies).
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

I vaguely remember Riot Zone but nothing this week stands out to me

I look for the N64's 1080 to come in the next 3 weeks, and hopefully a surprise N64 Smash Bros the week surrounding SSBB on the Wii

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO NEW CLASSIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 14, 2008

This week you can spend your time carefully planning puzzle strategies or rescuing a damsel in distress. Help one of the most iconic characters in all of video gamedom eat some troublesome ghosts or set off to defeat an evil organization using only your furious fists. The choice is yours. What are you in the mood for?

Nintendo adds new games to the Wii™ Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Pac-Attack (Super NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Pac-Man makes a rare appearance outside of a maze environment in Pac-Attack, a fun and quirky puzzle game. This unique entry in the genre puts its own twist on established conventions and adds one of gaming's most iconic characters to the mix. The goal is simple: Keep your screen clear of falling blocks and ghosts by lining up blocks horizontally, causing them to disappear. Clearing the ghosts, though, requires the help of a hungry Pac-Man (who just happens to swing by every so often for a snack). It's up to you to get all of the ghosts lined up for him, because Pac-Man will keep eating them until he is stopped by a block or he runs out of ghosts. In addition, his range of movement on the playing field is limited to horizontal or downward—thus adding further strategy. There are three game modes to choose from: 1 Player Normal, 2 Player VS., and the challenging 1 Player Puzzle. Feel like gobbling up some ghosts?

Riot Zone (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E 10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Tobacco Reference, Violence, 800 Wii Points): Riot Zone is a side-scrolling fighting game that follows two heroes as they fight to take down an evil organization. The crime syndicate Dragon Zone has kidnapped Hawk's girlfriend and it's up to him and his partner detective, Tony, to get her back. Join them as they jump "fists first" into the grim Kowloon district. Play as Hawk or Tony and fight through all five stages in the deadly Kowloon district. Smash down the Dragon Zone goons in areas like the Harbor, Abandoned Warehouse and the Ghetto. Both characters have unique skills and attacks. Hawk is a master of karate, while Tony is a hard-hitter. That being said, both guys are massive and possess killer techniques. The hard-boiled action is enhanced by the game's realistic sound effects.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

That's a VERY good question that you ask, and I think you've already pointed out the answer for yourself. The industry is for the most part, full of people who love to play video games, and this part of the reason that they became game developers.

Most studios that are no part of a large publisher, tend to have one creative vision at the helm. Like Gabe Newel at Valve, or Hideo Kojima at Konami-Kojima, and they tend to have an idea of the ultimate games that they want to play, that is, a certain vision of what makes a fun game or what should be fun about a certain genre.

You can see this as well with publisher owned devs that try to maintain a certain independance like Criterion EA, who's creative director is a guy named Alex Ward. His inspiration is from older arcade games and tries to push through that "short adreneline pumping experience" in the games that Criterion make (Burnout, Black). Anything that doesn't do that, he's not interested in.

And most publisher owned studios...well....they tend to focus on just pushing out stuff for the masses. While the staff working on the games will try to make them as good as they can, ultimately a lot of the descisions about what the game is and what features it will have will come from above. And beause these big publishers have so much cash at hand, a bad game won't hurt them all that much (if at all) so, making a good/fun/original game is a secondary goal for them.

What they want is market dominance and to be able to give good progress reports to thier share holders. And you can see this with how a publisher like EA has reacted to new markets, like mobile phone games. They don't want to make good games or push the envelope of the business model, all they want to do is dominate the market by pushing out any old crap, so that they can say to thier share holders "we've pushed all the small fish out of the pond" and everybody is happy.

I'd say that apart from the big publishers, it's not so much a political thing but more about the creative head's tastes (much like a producer/director in the movies).
    cool! thanks for the insight! so wht do you prefer to work on if anything? or is it just about doing the best you can do regardless of the genre?

I'm not a big fan of EA and do understand why you have issues with nintendo, it's different when you are on the creating side of the coin I can understand that. I like the idea of diversity in the marketplace though so on one stance having nintendo ms and sony survive each time around is for the most part a good thing. (I'm still bitter, as i said before about losing sega)

Fear is faith in failure

I like the idea of diversity in the marketplace though so on one stance having nintendo ms and sony survive each time around is for the most part a good thing. (I'm still bitter, as i said before about losing sega)
    Sega lost itself as the market shows even last gen you could have up to 3 consoles succeed with very high numbers. They did not even last long enough to see the last gen console war

At least now it seems they are actually getting back to creating good games while trying to find themselves last gen without a console or anything in the way of stellar titles (compared to their releases on the Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast).

If they would ever realize the gaming potential of some of their IP's I do feel they could be a superior 3rd party (instead of say releasing half assed remakes, Ages/Greatest hits releases, and rushed new products). I am very content with their Wii releases so far (Sonic Rings was one of the best 3-D ones since Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, though Sega should forgo all cutscenes and story lol), and their light gun releases fill a MAJOR gap, and I am definitly a fan of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics even if others think its a poor waggle fest.

Sega lost itself as the market shows even last gen you could have up to 3 consoles succeed with very high numbers. They did not even last long enough to see the last gen console war

At least now it seems they are actually getting back to creating good games while trying to find themselves last gen without a console or anything in the way of stellar titles (compared to their releases on the Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast).

If they would ever realize the gaming potential of some of their IP's I do feel they could be a superior 3rd party (instead of say releasing half assed remakes, Ages/Greatest hits releases, and rushed new products). I am very content with their Wii releases so far (Sonic Rings was one of the best 3-D ones since Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, though Sega should forgo all cutscenes and story lol), and their light gun releases fill a MAJOR gap, and I am definitly a fan of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics even if others think its a poor waggle fest.
    agreed completely, they have what it takes now they just need the vision to become a premiere 3rd party. personally I love mario and sonic olympics, I've YET to play secret rings and i'm DYING to get ghost squad soon.

Fear is faith in failure

agreed completely, they have what it takes now they just need the vision to become a premiere 3rd party. personally I love mario and sonic olympics, I've YET to play secret rings and i'm DYING to get ghost squad soon.
    Secret Rings suffered most from the same problems Nights 2 has, the story was unneccesary and interruptive and the controls needed just a bit more work (mostly the reverse controls in Sonic and the sensitivity in Nights 2) but everything else from the graphics to the speed of the game was spot on, and it was hands down one of the best Sonic 3-D games to have come out so far.

I have been hearing good things about Sonic Riders 2 despite fairly average reviews (average or negative reviews about Wii games must be the in thing to do this generation), there are over 14,000 people using the leaderboard function last week so they look to have another solid title on their hands.

I am dying to get Mario and Sonic Olympics DS next week and House of the Dead 2 and 3 in March

Secret Rings suffered most from the same problems Nights 2 has, the story was unneccesary and interruptive and the controls needed just a bit more work (mostly the reverse controls in Sonic and the sensitivity in Nights 2) but everything else from the graphics to the speed of the game was spot on, and it was hands down one of the best Sonic 3-D games to have come out so far.

I have been hearing good things about Sonic Riders 2 despite fairly average reviews (average or negative reviews about Wii games must be the in thing to do this generation), there are over 14,000 people using the leaderboard function last week so they look to have another solid title on their hands.

I am dying to get Mario and Sonic Olympics DS next week and House of the Dead 2 and 3 in March
    yeah I can't wait for hotd! I'm going to have to grab myself a nights and sonic secret rings. it's funny that wii games get such awful reviews most of the ones I've played have been tonnes of fun. there are instances where you can see what should have been done better, but still i've had a lot of fun. but it's been this way for a while in the industry a game has to be serious, bloody and or mature to get respect in the reviewers eyes. I hope that No more Heroes is a well executed title that garners respect. I am looking fwd to that.
    I gotta rent HArvey Birdman too, love that show and if the games has the same humour and such i'm sold! or at least I'm renting!

Fear is faith in failure