Page 16 of 351 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Uhm unlike Composite or component. HDMI is purely digital.

So Sony doesn't include the wire but by most peoples admission they don't have an HDMI input on thier TVs. But we are gonna make a big deal of this anyway. Fine. It's purely digital that's the whole point of HDMI no loss in signal. What's this mean.

It means that a 5 dollar cable will work the same as a 100 dollar cable. Dont' be fooled. And there are plenty out there for cheap.

So to reiterate the HDMI cable no matter which one you use will work the same way as any SD card your gonna use on the Wii. Minus the fact that Nintendos selling their official SD Card which does nothing any other SD card does for 2x more than what's out on the market. I geuss 35 bucks is a good buy for a memory card if your system doesn't come with a hard drive.

"The 512MB SD card equates to approximately US$32, which is double the price for a non-Nintendo SD card with the exact same functionality. Just remember that it costs Nintendo a hefty fee to put its logo on its own products."

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDB-...&s=electronics

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/12/mo...ices-revealed/

http://www.riteav.com/index.php?cPath=47_48_58

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7596-0....sageID=1261318

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    So Sony doesn't include the wire but by most peoples admission they don't have an HDMI input on thier TVs. But we are gonna make a big deal of this anyway. Fine.
    So a lot of people don't have HDMI, a lot of people don't have HDTVs either, but that didn't stop Sony from forcing a Blu-Ray drive into the PS3. But why did they put composite cables in the box? Why not component? Surely most people have that.

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    So, who here was able to preorder the Wii, and what number are you?

I got one and am #1!!!!!! Basically, the only way I dont get one on the 19th is if my EB Games doesnt get their entire shipment in.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1
    So, who here was able to preorder the Wii, and what number are you?

I got one and am #1!!!!!! Basically, the only way I dont get one on the 19th is if my EB Games doesnt get their entire shipment in.
    Why am I not surprised.....

So what size crowd was there? Pretty packed, or relatively small?
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Oh man, I got one, but I was worried for a bit.

I was able to take my lunch break early today, and left the office at 9:30 am.

I first went to the Gamestop that I usually go to (for your reference, D-Day, since you are from my area, this is the one on Rte 59, across the street from EB Games).

There were already some people in line at that store. Another lady and I were walking up there at the same time, though she got there slightly faster than me. And the manager there (whom I kinda know since I am there a lot and talk to a lot) was handing out tickets, and that lady in front of me got the last one, and I was almost paniced.

He mentioned checking the EB store across the street, but others there said that their line was already full. He then mentioned a store in another a neighboring town, which was too far for me, but then I asked about the other Gamestop in the local Fox Valley Mall, and he said he could call to check. When he said that, this one guy in line (who was awesome) said "here, use my cell phone" so that I didn't have to wait for the manager to go into the store, call up the other one, and come back outside...

So, I called them, and they said they had about 30 reservations to give out, and only about 15 people in line waiting for them. I repeated this to the manager and the guy with the phone (whom I thanked), and the manager said "run!!!" (in a funny voice)... and I did. I mean, I don't think I've ran so fast in my life, and I am not exactly in shape.

So, I got to the mall, got my spot in line, and just had to wait for the store to open at 10 (which it was almost 10 at the time). I ended up actually being the 15th reservation (there were more people ahead of me, some in some cases there were 2 people who were together, etc).

The only problem then was that they only had one register open taking reservations, so it took a while. I waited it out, even though I knew it would mean getting back to work late. I reserved the system and one extra wii-mote and nunchuck. I was almost going to get the classic controller and a memory card, but the system comes with some memory (512MB I think, which will be enough at first to store the save files for the 3 games I reserved at the other store), and the classic control is only for downloaded classic games and Gamecube games, and the Gamecube controllers can work for that same purpose, so I declined on both of those for now.

I ended up getting back to work about a 1/2 hour late. I went right to my supervisor and said that I was late and would stay to make up the time. She even offered to let me make it up next week, but I said I'll stay today. She was cool with the whole thing... I almost never take time off, I only call in sick if I am REALLY SICK (and so far that's only happened once within the last year, and it was for 2 and a half days), and otherwise I am always here on time, reliable, on good standing, etc. So, all in all things worked out well. I won't have a traditional lunch break today, but I'll just take a minute to scarf down my lunch and rest easy knowing that my Wii is all set.

Now, the only problem will be getting a second Wii on the 19th.... my sister (who will be only turning 11 in a couple of months) is wanting one for Christmas and my parents are thinking about buying it for her, but it may be hard to come by depending on the demand. Depending on the weather, I may try to get to a store like Best Buy or Wal-mart or something really early in the am that Sunday to lock one in for her if possible.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 13, 2006 at 12:58pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Apparently, the GameStops here in southern MD aren't doing the number thing. My wife went over to the mall and preordered our Wii (Don't worry, Dynamo - we're keeping this one ). The clerk said that ours was something like the fifth to last one (she would have been there earlier, but I completely spaced on mentioning it to her last night, and was only able to get ahold of her at 10:30 today. One of our local Gamestops was sold out of preorders, but the one in the mall still had some left.

Good luck on finding the additional Wii for your sis.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Howdy

Congrats of finally getting one pre-ordered Dynamo

Now with regards to the 512mb built in. I am fairly sure that, that will only be used for Virtual Console games etc...NOT game saves. I am not 100% but this is what I was told. So you may need a memory card after all.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003
    Howdy

Congrats of finally getting one pre-ordered Dynamo

Now with regards to the 512mb built in. I am fairly sure that, that will only be used for Virtual Console games etc...NOT game saves. I am not 100% but this is what I was told. So you may need a memory card after all.

Chris M
    Hmmm... well, if that's the case, then I may preorder one. I'll look further into it. If that's the case, I'm sure going in and ordering more accessories won't be an issue. The main problem was getting a system, and I am all set there!

I got my system pre-ordered, and I also pre-oredered Zelda: Twilight Princess and Trauma Center. Im also getting ai Wii Points card

How it looked.

Downtown Philly

Athens,GA

NE Philly

Maryland

You guys can get Sandisk 1GB SD cards @ staples for $20 all Saturday long if you don't mind sitting on one til you get your console, it's not a bad price at all.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot
    You guys can get Sandisk 1GB SD cards @ staples for $20 all Saturday long if you don't mind sitting on one til you get your console, it's not a bad price at all.
    Will those work on the Wii, and are those used to saver games or to download games from the Virtual Console?

Well, I managed to get a 2nd Wii (this one being for my sister for Christmas) reserved today.

I remembered people on here talking about going to Suncoast to reserve systems, which I found to be odd since Suncoast doesn't sell video games at all (at least none of the ones that I've ever been to), but I figured I would check anyway.

So, I went to my local mall today (the same one with the Gamestop where I reserved my Wii) and asked the people at Suncoast there. They were Not taking reservations, however, they refered my to fye, which apparently is under the same parent company as them according the girl at Suncoast (which I was unaware of.. I knew about Sam Goody and Media Play, but whatever).

Anyway, I went there (fye is also in the same mall), and I knew they carried video games there. And they did take a reservation for me. They weren't sure how many they are getting in on the first day, and being that they are mainly a record store with a small video game section, I don't expect them to get many. But, I was only the 9th person on the list. So, I figure that there's a pretty good chance of them getting 9 systems in between 11/19 and 12/25. So, hopefully that will work out. If it comes in a little after that, well, then we'll just have to deal. My sister is old enough to understand, she's too old now to believe in the whole Santa thing, and so if she gets it a little later, she'll still be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Well, I managed to get a 2nd Wii (this one being for my sister for Christmas) reserved today.
    Glad to hear it.

My sister is old enough to understand, she's too old now to believe in the whole Santa thing, and so if she gets it a little later, she'll still be happy.
    What about Santa???

Hey Dynamo, what games are you getting? So far I got Zelda, Trauma Center, and Metal Slug on reserve, and Im thinking of getting the new Rayman game as well.

Mario is NOT a launch title, right?

Zelda is the only one for me I guess.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

I got to my Gamestop too late

I'm kinda upset.

-Brett
    Who really wants a Wii, but needs to keep his job too.

={+}=

I plan on getting Zelda and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for sure, and have a mild interest in Avatar.

I don't think I'll have a problem getting a system or the games, so I'm not pre-ordering anything (maybe if I was getting a PS3 . . . ).
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I am going crazy, I can't decide whether to pre-order or not...I was just going to get up early and wait at Best Buy the day it comes out...I didn't think I would have any problems getting one but if there are lines just for pre-orders, I don't know. Anybody want to give suggestions? Think I'll have a problem getting one on launch day without a pre-order?
    R.I.P.
    Ronald Henry Schwartz
    June 29 1935 - June 23 2005
    I miss you Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad
    Glad to hear it.
    Thanks!

What about Santa???
    Oh, you know, about how he used to give out presents until one day a bad little elf started using Santa's sleigh and presents as a cover-up of an internation drug ring, and when this was discovered, Santa got caught up in the mess, and the courts banned him from delivering gifts to anyone ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1
    Hey Dynamo, what games are you getting? So far I got Zelda, Trauma Center, and Metal Slug on reserve, and Im thinking of getting the new Rayman game as well.
    I reserved Zelda, Metal Slug, and Red Steel. That's pretty much all I am planning on getting at launch. It just gets to be too expensive if I get too much more. Plus, I am planning on getting the new Sonic the Hedgehog game for Xbox 360, and that comes out pretty close to the Wii launch. I figure the price of the system, those four games (which includes the 360 Sonic title), and the cost of the extra Wii-mote + Nunchuck is more cash than I should be spending anyway.

Plus, if Shigsy is right about needing the external SD memory cards for game saves, then that's a few bucks more that I will need to spend (I hope the internal memory will work with game saves... It doesn't make sense to me why it wouldn't, and while it may not be a ton of memory, it should be enough to keep me going with these 3 games for a while. I'm not planning on using the virtual console anytime soon anyways).

D-Day, do you know if anyone else from the Horde reserved a Wii?

I also need to see what games my sis is gonna want (I got a list today from Gamestop of all of the games they are coming out with for launch, so I can show her and see what sounds interesting to her), and make sure we get those reserved as well.

Technically, my mom and step-dad will be giving her the system for Christmas. They just don't know much about these kinds of things or where to begin in getting reservations, etc, so I'm helping get things arranged, picking it up, etc. I will be simply charging it to be credit card, and they are paying me back the money. Though, I do plan to get her some games and/or accessories for it. So, I want to find out which ones she wants to lock them in (Her BIG one is going to be Sonic Secret Rings, because she is a Sonic fanatic, but that's not out for a while, so we need to find at least one launch title to keep her going for the time being).

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    I got to my Gamestop too late

I'm kinda upset.

-Brett
    Who really wants a Wii, but needs to keep his job too.

={+}=
    That SUCKS man! I feel for you.

In all honesty, I was very lucky. I have a supervisor who is cool and understanding, and I have a job with some degree of flexibility. I do have a pretty much set schedule, but it's flexible enough that I was able to take lunch early to get the Wii. I often adjust my schedule when necessary, even for work related reasons (i.e. there's some time specific task that has to be done either before or after the times of my normal shift, so I will adjust to meet the needs, etc).

However, if I wasn't so lucky, I'd pretty much be in the same boat as you are now. There are other positions in the company that are more rigid in terms of what your hours are and when you can take your lunch. Adjustments like the one I made just wouldn't be possible in those cases.

Well, I guess I would have had the FYE reservation, but then that would have only covered me and not my sis (though, worse case scenario, I have my mom put in a reservation).

Speaking of which, Brett, do you have any stores in your area like FYE or something similar? Meaning, something like a store inside of a mall or something that primarily sells CDs and/or DVDs, but maybe also has a small video game section? If so, they may be taking reservations. Like I said, for my sister, I reserved one for her just earlier today (well, I guess its technically yesterday now since its after midnight) and I was only 9th on the list. Places like that won't have as rigid of reserve limits as Gamestop, and they aren't as obvious as retails that sell video games as their primary product (hence why so few people reserve there).

If that's something that is possible, you may want to look into it. I mean, the worst case scenario is that you are no worse off than you already are.

Anyway, good luck to you and anyone else still on the hunt for a Wii (or PS3 for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by lowbrass
    I am going crazy, I can't decide whether to pre-order or not...I was just going to get up early and wait at Best Buy the day it comes out...I didn't think I would have any problems getting one but if there are lines just for pre-orders, I don't know. Anybody want to give suggestions? Think I'll have a problem getting one on launch day without a pre-order?
    Well, it's hard to say. I mean, yeah, the reservations at places like Gamestop and EB are going fast. However, generally speaking, stores like Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart, etc are probably going to get in the largest supplies of the systems, and they don't take reservations. It all depends on how the supply and demand works out.

On the one hand, Nintendo is releasing A LOT of Wii's (much more than what PS3 will launch with or what Xbox 360 launched with last year), and Nintendo has been the significant underdog for quite some time. And so it may be as simple as walking into a store on the 19th and casually buying one.

At the same time, there is a lot of buzz surounding the Wii. A guy who works at a Gamestop local to me said the other day that they've been getting many more questions about it than the PS3. So, it could sell out quick in those other stores.

Here is my advice to you...
    Odds are if there are any Gamestops or EB Games around you, they are most likely already out of preorders. However, if there are any other stores still taking preorders, you could always check with them.

You could put in a reservation for the system with them. Also, you could reserve a couple of games there as well. Generally speaking, in most places that do take reservations for the Wii, its a $50 deposit for the system and $5 for each game (this could always vary depending on the retailer, but this has been pretty standard thus far). Assuming that their policies are anything like Gamestop's, if it turns out that you are further down the list and you won't be getting the system that day, you could always try a place like Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc.

In the event that you manage to get a system from one of those non-reserve stores, most likely the store that you reserved the system at will allow you to cancel the reservation, and simply transfer the money you deposited towards paying for the games that you have reserved (and the games are usually in greater supply than the systems). Odds are they won't have a problem selling the system to somebody else (plus, if they have a waiting list, it can go to the next person on the list), and you pretty much break even on the whole thing. The biggest inconvenience for you is having to go to two separate stores to get the system and games, but if that's the worst thing that you have to worry about, then you are making out great in this scenario.

If you decide to go this route, I would advise asking the store you are reserving the system at about their policies in that regard prior to putting any cash down on anything. Don't just assume that they would handle something of that nature like Gamestop, only to find out that their policies are different (While I doubt that would happen, you never know for sure).

To summarize, this is basically the best way to ensure that you get a system as soon as possible. If the store you reserve it at gets yours in on launch day, then you are all set. If they don't, you could always try to non-reserve retailer and possibly get one there, in which case you still get one on launch day (and you can then use the reserve money towards games at the other store). And if that still doesn't pan out, you may not get one on launch day, but you still have your reservation in place to guarantee that you get on ASAP.

But, that's the best advice I can offer. I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 15, 2006 at 02:44am.

Im not sure if anyone from the Horde reserved a Wii.

That SUCKS man! I feel for you.

In all honesty, I was very lucky. I have a supervisor who is cool and understanding, and I have a job with some degree of flexibility. I do have a pretty much set schedule, but it's flexible enough that I was able to take lunch early to get the Wii. I often adjust my schedule when necessary, even for work related reasons (i.e. there's some time specific task that has to be done either before or after the times of my normal shift, so I will adjust to meet the needs, etc).

However, if I wasn't so lucky, I'd pretty much be in the same boat as you are now. There are other positions in the company that are more rigid in terms of what your hours are and when you can take your lunch. Adjustments like the one I made just wouldn't be possible in those cases.

Well, I guess I would have had the FYE reservation, but then that would have only covered me and not my sis (though, worse case scenario, I have my mom put in a reservation).

Speaking of which, Brett, do you have any stores in your area like FYE or something similar? Meaning, something like a store inside of a mall or something that primarily sells CDs and/or DVDs, but maybe also has a small video game section? If so, they may be taking reservations. Like I said, for my sister, I reserved one for her just earlier today (well, I guess its technically yesterday now since its after midnight) and I was only 9th on the list. Places like that won't have as rigid of reserve limits as Gamestop, and they aren't as obvious as retails that sell video games as their primary product (hence why so few people reserve there).

If that's something that is possible, you may want to look into it. I mean, the worst case scenario is that you are no worse off than you already are.

Anyway, good luck to you and anyone else still on the hunt for a Wii (or PS3 for that matter).
    Well, I have a very flexible job, but I had a meeting that I needed to be at Firday morning. It didn't finish until 10:45. That sucked.

Yeah, we have lots of places like that. (I live right next to the Mall of America!) Does anyone know if Sam GOody is getting Wii? I'll probably just wait in line at Best Buy or something on launch day. *sigh*

-Brett
    Who is set to launch.

={+}=

I got up early on Friday and stood in line outside of Gamestop. I was sixth in line and had to wait for about an hour.

I pre-ordered the Wii, an extra Wii-mote, an extra nunchuck, Super Monkey Ball, and Zelda.

I might have to pre-order Red Steel as well.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

I just sold my 360.

One of the reasons is how much Microsoft is holding back until they get some real competition. Word is now they won't be doing all games backwards compatabile, and they've slowed from one month to two for updates. Plus mine had a bug or two. there's other reasons, but these are the actual 360 related ones.

It's still a great machine, but with my tendonitis and wallet size, the Wii is looking very attractive.

This may have been asked already, but does anyone have a full launch title list? Or do you know where I can get one? Thanks.