Page 161 of 351 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 8774

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Heroic Warrior
    We are getting that. Japan already has it.

It's called something like "Everyone's Nintendo Channel".

Lots of game trailers, interviews and some behind the scenes footage of upcoming releases. I am sure America as well as the rest of the world will get their version of this channel soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
    We are getting that. Japan already has it.

It's called something like "Everyone's Nintendo Channel".

Lots of game trailers, interviews and some behind the scenes footage of upcoming releases. I am sure America as well as the rest of the world will get their version of this channel soon.
    Yeah there are rumors it will be here in Feb or March along with Wii Ware, supposedly they are thinking of allowing the Wii to have DS demos that you can transfer via Wifi to the DS flash memory (as you can do in Best Buy already)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

my brother and I REALLY want to pitch a Wii game but from what we hear if you aren't a developer or don't have a demo to show them, you pretty much won't get in the door. it sucks because we both really think that it will be a BIG game. maybe we can luck out and find some people in this city who can work with us.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    my brother and I REALLY want to pitch a Wii game but from what we hear if you aren't a developer or don't have a demo to show them, you pretty much won't get in the door. it sucks because we both really think that it will be a BIG game. maybe we can luck out and find some people in this city who can work with us.
    To show who? Nintendo or a publisher. You'll probably have an easier time trying to go through a publisher than if you tried pitching it to Nintendo as a 1st party title.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany

Isnt it what Wii Ware is all about??? Letting independent developers submit their own games?

Maybe im confused about that but according to this article on Siliconera you will be able to submit your own games:

Wii Ware opens the door for indie developers
    Written by: Spencer on June 27th, 2007 @ 10:13 am

wiiware.jpgRemember how the Nintendo Wii shop channel has a button for Wii Ware? So far only Opera and Nintendo has used that space to post up new channels, but in “early 2008” it is going to be a home for downloadable Wii games. The concept of Wii Ware is to let smaller teams develop creative (motion controlled?) games without having to worry about selling them on store shelves.

“Independent developers armed with small budgets and big ideas will be able to get their original games into the marketplace to see if we can find the next smash hit," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "WiiWare brings new levels of creativity and value to the ever-growing population of Wii owners."

The possibility of indie games is tantalizing, but the Wii’s limited storage space might be creative restriction. There is only 512 MB of internal memory on the Wii compared to the gigabytes of space for downloadable content on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Nintendo can’t allow a game to suck up all of the Wii’s internal memory or even half of it. One likely solution is Nintendo is going to set an upper limit on how big Wii Ware games can be. The 64MB limit didn't stop original games from coming out on the Xbox 360, but it was one of the reasons Lumines ended up getting sold in annoying pieces.
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    To show who? Nintendo or a publisher. You'll probably have an easier time trying to go through a publisher than if you tried pitching it to Nintendo as a 1st party title.
    yeah through a publisher, we have it mapped out, stages goals controls even - it's just that we don't have ANY computer programming experience or skills. I can still do some cold calling and see if luck can be on our side. all I need though ais a video to demonstrate what game play would be like. if I round up a few people I know they can help me. it's a long shot but it's a shot right?

EDIT

as for the Wii ware thing - sounds cool but I think it would be too big for that - again I have NO experience in programming and such so I don't know how much space it would take. most likely be big, though it's a simple game it's something not been done in this way before, and something as of now that I bet NO publishers would be thinking of, it would even tap a new market as well as sell to one that has been established.
    Last edited by krosfyah; January 27, 2008 at 01:25pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Today's VC update:

WII-KLY UPDATE: NEW CLASSIC GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 28, 2008

Traverse the half-pipe from the comfort of your living room. With this classic game, it's Winter Break all the time. Freestyle through white powder, and school your best pal with your new trick! Did you get air?

This new classic game goes live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new game is:

1080°® SNOWBOARDING (N64®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Hit the slopes for some serious shredding in one of the first truly realistic snowboarding games ever created! Start in the lodge and select from five characters, each with his/her own particular attributes and special tricks. Then take a look at the wide assortment of available boards and choose one that best suits your rider and style. Once you've got the gear, six different modes of play, including Match Race, Trick Attack, and 2-Player Versus, await. Pick a course and get ready to experience a sensation of speed that'll make you forget all about the cold—but it might just send a shiver down your spine. Throw in hidden characters and boards, varying weather and snow conditions, multiple paths through each course, and a variety of tricks to master—topped off with rock-solid play control—and you've got a recipe for winter fun that you can enjoy any time of the year. It's all the fun and excitement of the sport, without the bruises and frostbite!

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.
    80GB PS3 on the way out?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/847/847979p1.html
    This space for rent, apparently.....

as for the Wii ware thing - sounds cool but I think it would be too big for that - again I have NO experience in programming and such so I don't know how much space it would take. most likely be big, though it's a simple game it's something not been done in this way before, and something as of now that I bet NO publishers would be thinking of, it would even tap a new market as well as sell to one that has been established.
    Yeah but the point behind something like Xbox Live, PSN or Wii Ware is to get some experience and have something to build on.

Wii Ware especially costs $2000 for the dev kit (if you can get approved for one, that is the big stumbling block from what I have read for indie developers), which means you just need to find a team that has some experience with the Wii and you could release a game with the potential to easily make back your expenses if its a hit

Is there anyway you could maybe find someone to make a demo of what you are wanting on the PC? The 360/PS3 controllers work on a PC as does the Wii's wiimote (due to bluetooth)

And also WHOOO HOOO 1080
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    I've heard about this, mostly at Blu-Ray.com. There are also rumors about other stores other than Best Buy getting low on or running out of 80gig stock in some locations (but not necessarily chain-wide), refering people to the websites to order it instead.

But other things that are also known is that a patent to sell a white PS3 within the US has been taken out (which would indicate some kind of new or alternate model is pending, even if only a color change), and the Dual Shock 3 controller is coming soon. There are also rumors of a pending price cut, but there's nothing concrete has been determined on that yet.

My guess (and this is just me assuming what may likely happen) is that they are phasing out the 80gig unit (which came with Motorstorm, and usually these game pack-in sets are Christmas time limited editions anyway) and will be replacing it with a new unit (of currently uncertain HD size). It will probably have some kind of PS2 backwards compatibility, and come with the Dual Shock 3 controller (which would make sense as an additional advertising incentive for the backwards compatibility since now the rumble feature will be usable).

I will be annoyed, though, if this possible new unit ends up going back to the emotion chip for full (or at least near full) PS2 compatibility, after I just got the 80GB version with the emulated based compatibility. Either way, I really can't see Sony 100% eliminating backwards compatibility from the system. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I think there are still enough people who want the compatibility that eliminating it would be a mistake. And it's not like it costs them much to copy the emulation software that they've already created and put it into a new systems (if they continue with the emulation route).

There's talk of new cheaper Blu-Ray drives going into the systems, which could help with cutting costs and allowing the system to be sold at a lower price if that rumor ends up being true.

I have a feeling that the 40GB model... at least in it's exact current form (coming with Spider-Man 3) will be discontinued sooner or later as well. They may keep the system essentially the same, but take out the movie and maybe instead include the Dual Shock 3 controller. This is just speculation on my part, but it just seems like the system coming with that movie would be a temporary thing. It was a sales booster since it was a big current movie, but now that some time has passed, I doubt it will cause as much of a draw to the system.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

OMG - BEST NEWS OF THE YEAR!!!!!!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/848/848167p1.html

That Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects game was absolutely horrible. Hopefully Marvel will get it together and team back up w/Capcom. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 anyone?
    This space for rent, apparently.....

That Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects game was absolutely horrible. Hopefully Marvel will get it together and team back up w/Capcom. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 anyone?
    Oh thank god, with Capcom building a new Street Fighter it would be great if they could revisit that relationship that was so great during the Dreamcast era.

Activision handled the Marvel license excellently as well with Marvel Ultimate Alliance so we know it was EA that just blew when it came to making a game!

My advice it to prototype on the PC first. There are plenty of ways of connect a Wii-mote, although I imagine it wouldn't be so straight froward to read the data in the program. I think you would have to query the HID (a la Linux) tables and get the updates from there, rather than letting DirectInput manage all of the device and object enumeration.

One you DO have a prototype do not under any circumstances do the following;

1) Send source code to a publisher or allow them to have any of your source + assests
    2) Give them a runable build of your prototype

Instead make a movie of the game being played, showing the key elements of your design. Make sure that the movie is short while and straight to the point. If you get to the stage where a publisher wants to see the game in action, only do so in meetings with your prototype on a laptop with the wii mote.

This lets you show the prototype off in the best light as you know how to play the game, you know which bits of the demo not to show as its just a rough build etc.

Ummm....oh...yeah....try and make sure your demo sticks to the constraints of your target platform. For example, it should never require 2GB of memory to run, stick to texture blending effects instead of using shaders, that sort of thing.

I would offer some help if I weren't so deeply involved in my own personal projects at the moment

Oh...and something else has occured to me. The Wii has been hacked to run homebrew applications, meaning you could also write it for the Wii using non-standard libraries. So if you get to the stage where you have to show something to a publisher, there's nothing like saying "and here is the game running on the Wii".

Even though you stll have to port it to the Nintendo libraries, that's a small job (three months at most I would reckon) and it adds that little bit of magic to win over a publisher
    Last edited by IronAvatar; January 29, 2008 at 04:47am.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    My advice it to prototype on the PC first. There are plenty of ways of connect a Wii-mote, although I imagine it wouldn't be so straight froward to read the data in the program. I think you would have to query the HID (a la Linux) tables and get the updates from there, rather than letting DirectInput manage all of the device and object enumeration.

One you DO have a prototype do not under any circumstances do the following;

1) Send source code to a publisher or allow them to have any of your source + assests
    2) Give them a runable build of your prototype

Instead make a movie of the game being played, showing the key elements of your design. Make sure that the movie is short while and straight to the point. If you get to the stage where a publisher wants to see the game in action, only do so in meetings with your prototype on a laptop with the wii mote.

This lets you show the prototype off in the best light as you know how to play the game, you know which bits of the demo not to show as its just a rough build etc.

Ummm....oh...yeah....try and make sure your demo sticks to the constraints of your target platform. For example, it should never require 2GB of memory to run, stick to texture blending effects instead of using shaders, that sort of thing.

I would offer some help if I weren't so deeply involved in my own personal projects at the moment

Oh...and something else has occured to me. The Wii has been hacked to run homebrew applications, meaning you could also write it for the Wii using non-standard libraries. So if you get to the stage where you have to show something to a publisher, there's nothing like saying "and here is the game running on the Wii".

Even though you stll have to port it to the Nintendo libraries, that's a small job (three months at most I would reckon) and it adds that little bit of magic to win over a publisher
    great advice and thanks! now I just need to find someone to help witht he technical stuff!

Fear is faith in failure

Oh Man, I would probably explode with happiness if Marvel vs. Capcom 3, or something like that, were to happen.

It would be cool if they could strike a deal with DC and get their characters into the mix, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Oh Man, I would probably explode with happiness if Marvel vs. Capcom 3, or something like that, were to happen.

It would be cool if they could strike a deal with DC and get their characters into the mix, too.
    now if only EA would lose the exclusive nfl license.

Man can you imagine a Marvel Vs DC Vs Capcom game? that would just be awesome!

Fear is faith in failure

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    The internet exploded with Brawl spoilers last night...I couldn't resist seeing the leaked characters...and I'm a little disappointed there aren't more non-Nintendo licensed characters.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    The internet exploded with Brawl spoilers last night...I couldn't resist seeing the leaked characters...and I'm a little disappointed there aren't more non-Nintendo licensed characters.
    Are there any others besides Sonic and Solid Snake?

EDIT: On a completely separate note, here's a fun little article on Video Game releated urban legends that I just saw on Yahoo news:
    http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yah...ction-/1182040
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 29, 2008 at 03:11pm.

Are there any others besides Sonic and Solid Snake?
    Nope, and it follows the infamous 35 roster that leaked a while back to the 'T'. The only character we're waiting for now is Wolf (everyone's pretty sure it'll be him, from Star Fox).

I was really hoping for K. Rool, to have a big, heavy hitting villain like Bowser, but if he's as cool looking in story mode as (SPOILERSSPOILERSRIDLEYSPOILERSSPOILERS) is, I guess that'll do.

The only other character I really was hoping for was Krystal, as my girlfriend was really hoping to play her.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I was hoping to see a few more Sega characters but still the roster to me is phenominal, keep in mind this is a Nintendo game.

Given that basis alone we are quite lucky to have Sonic and Snake to begin with and then that is only due to partnerships (Sega's recent transactions with Sonic and Mario Olympics) and friendships (Hideo Kojima friendship with Nintendo). I am much happier over the additions of Olimar, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, and Kid Icarus.

Plus given everything else thats included in the game (the massive story mode, the online play, level creation, assist trophies, and rpg functions via stickers you can apply to your character), more licensed characters should be set aside for a eventual sequel.

The game was going to sell big regardless of the inclusion so why place all your eggs in one basket to appease fans who were already going to buy?

I'm kind of glad that they didn't go too overboard with 3rd party characters. It is meant to be a battle between Nintendo characters. The addition of Sonic makes sense. Since the end of Sega making their own systems, Sonic has been more prominantly featured in games on Nintendo systems than on any other company's consoles. And Snake made sense since Metal Gear originated on NES.

At one point someone was telling me a rumor that Cloud from Final Fantasy VII was going to be in the game (I don't know where the hell they got that from). I never really believed it, and I am SO glad it never ended up being true. As awesome as FFVII was, it was not a game released on any Nintendo system, so that would have really annoyed me if it had been true. I hope it never becomes true later on either.

I do hope that if they do any more 3rd party characters, they do limit it to ones that have been a major part of Nintendo history. Particularly characters that were prominent during the NES days when Nintendo was top dog. I do hope to see Mega Man in a future installment.

You know what would be cool... even though he isn't technically a video game character.. they could make Captain N a hidden character in a future game. And maybe get lisences from Mega Man and Castlevania so they could have a Captain N reunion kind of deal going on. Maybe the characters could even have a couple of different 'skins'... one set resembling their video game incarnation, and the other being more accurate to how they appeared in Captain N.

Ah... my mind is wondering.

You know what would be cool... even though he isn't technically a video game character.. they could make Captain N a hidden character in a future game. And maybe get lisences from Mega Man and Castlevania so they could have a Captain N reunion kind of deal going on. Maybe the characters could even have a couple of different 'skins'... one set resembling their video game incarnation, and the other being more accurate to how they appeared in Captain N.

Ah... my mind is wondering.
    Now that would be so awesome, but very unlikely. It would be awesome to see given the cel shading techniques of Wind Waker and Zack and Wiki, but Nintendo frowns very much on that part of their animated history.

But god would I love to fight with these characters

Why do they frown upon it (the Captain N cartoon era)? Have they made statements saying as such?
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 30, 2008 at 08:53am. Reason: .

ok, so WHEN are we going to get a SOLID boxing game on the wii? I want something with the pick up and play entry level ease of Wii Sports boxing (unfortunately still the best boxing game on the system ) and the depth of Fight night and rocky. that means the more you learn the better you do. do a little better programing so the punches you throw are more accurate than WSB but let them be thrown without having to press a button. If I do an uppercut motion then my character does one too AT LEAST 90% of the time. movement around the ring can de done with the nunchuck stick and dancing can be done combining wii sports boxing type dodgin with the stick, how hard can it be to do that? honestly? also give me some GOOD training options again similar to WSB but deeper. Rocky had great training options fight night's got worse as the series progressed IMO, but they had the right idea.

With the Wii imagine the weight lifting, the heavy bag, the speed bag, jumping rope, road work, and witht he Wii FIt on it's way you can do even more.

in fact you know what would be SWEET on the Wii - Ready 2 Rumble boxing. that was a FUN game - add a create a character mode (or use your Mii) it will be a GREAT party game. in addition to a more serious fight night style game. sigh why is this only a dream? the Wii lends itself to boxing so readily and it doesn't take much to do it right. WSB came closer than anyone and it's just a simple little bonus.

Fear is faith in failure

for what its worth , jeuxfrance reported a few months ago that Sega hsd renewed the trademark for Ready 2 Rumble and given their undying love for making the Wii the next Dreamcast we might just see the game you want.

Sega Tennis apparently borrows heavily from Wii Sports but will add control over your player around the court and M&S Olympics already massively improved on Wii Plays table tennis functions.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    for what its worth , jeuxfrance reported a few months ago that Sega hsd renewed the trademark for Ready 2 Rumble and given their undying love for making the Wii the next Dreamcast we might just see the game you want.

Sega Tennis apparently borrows heavily from Wii Sports but will add control over your player around the court and M&S Olympics already massively improved on Wii Plays table tennis functions.
    AH THERE IS HOPE!! see that's the thing Wii SPorts IMO did what it did so right, now all that needs to be done is expand on those things to make for a deeper and longer game. I PRAY that R2R comes to the Wii in proper form and function. I love that game! esp the little touched like the facial damge, the smile of a winner with a destroyed face was so funny

Fear is faith in failure