Page 195 of 352 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 8798

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Wont this only get worse though as more developers get locked into the few publishers available?
    I actually think that the time of publishers dominating third-party releases is coming to a close. As we move closer and closer to on-line distribution methods, the publisher will have little or no part to play, and I think that they are absolutely scared witless by this thought.

One of our games recently won the Austrian gamers choice award, which is pretty special in that it's voted by the public. We were very proud. The funny thing about it was that the company CEO, was approached by quite a lot of exec's from the big publishers during the evening of the awards (EA etc.) and basicly made some VERY unkind remarks about us, our financing method, distribution method and pretty much everything that enables us to not get a publisher involved.

They're scared. Very scared. And what scared them even more is that there is now a oppurtunity for third parties developers to not rely on them for money or have to give up the rights to their IP when developing for console.

Quite frankly, I don't think that it matters how many publishers are around. Let them fight for the scraps of the old method for making and getting games to the public, atleast then; people who want to make games can just get on with it and bring some real innovation and fun without having to sell their "souls".
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

IronAvatar- Thanks for the input, its always nice to hear from someone on the inside track to put things into perspective

Lots of news coming out today, mostly from the Ubisoft show

1st Tecmo Bowl DS screens!!

Two more games announce Wii balance board support, Raving Rabbits 3 & Shaun White Snowboarding (both by Ubisoft so proceed with caution)

SAN FRANCISCO – May 28, 2008 – Today Ubisoft announces the development of Shaun White Snowboarding, a title destined to break all former action sports video game notions and redefine the action sports genre. The game will appear on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Windows-based PC, and the Wii(TM) home video game system from Nintendo, and is scheduled for release in Holiday 2008.

Powered by the award-winning Assassin’s Creed(TM) engine for Xbox 360 and the PLAYSTATION 3 system, Shaun White Snowboarding truly captures the action sports lifestyle. Shaun White Snowboarding is being developed from the ground up for the Wii system, taking full advantage of the Wii Balance Board(TM) accessory and featuring its own unique storyline and adventure with Shaun White.

“Shaun White Snowboarding will turn all of the traditional ideas and experiences of past action sports titles upside down,” said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft. “The combination of Ubisoft’s innovation approach and the influence of Shaun’s lifestyle and perspective make this gaming experience like no other.”
    BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2!!!!
    http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6556_en.html

This is interesting, its one of the reasons I almost refuse to believe review scores
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...-wii-reviewer/

The subject of how game companies communicate with game reviewers came up a few times while I interviewed former GameSpot reviewer Alex Navarro. And wouldn’t you know that, without missing a beat, he was able to produce a memorable note he received a couple of years ago.

This, he said, demonstrated the way the communication sometimes works. “I have a note in my hand that came from a PR person surrounding a certain Wii launch game,” Navarro told me.

This is the note he was sent by a publicist whom he declined to name:

If the review is 9.0 or higher you can post immediately. Lower than 9.0, could you please hold until launch day, November 19th? Thanks.

“And that’s not the first time I got something like that,” he told me. Navarro said GameSpot ran their review for this game based on a copy bought in a store. And they panned it.
    Add that news from MTV along with the numerous reports of Grand Theft Auto IV pressured/paid for high review scores, and the fiasco at gamespot where Jeff Gerstmann was fired because it was suspected Eidos paid a ton for advertising and he was going to pan the game as crap so he got the boot.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    I actually think that the time of publishers dominating third-party releases is coming to a close. As we move closer and closer to on-line distribution methods, the publisher will have little or no part to play, and I think that they are absolutely scared witless by this thought.

One of our games recently won the Austrian gamers choice award, which is pretty special in that it's voted by the public. We were very proud. The funny thing about it was that the company CEO, was approached by quite a lot of exec's from the big publishers during the evening of the awards (EA etc.) and basicly made some VERY unkind remarks about us, our financing method, distribution method and pretty much everything that enables us to not get a publisher involved.

They're scared. Very scared. And what scared them even more is that there is now a oppurtunity for third parties developers to not rely on them for money or have to give up the rights to their IP when developing for console.

Quite frankly, I don't think that it matters how many publishers are around. Let them fight for the scraps of the old method for making and getting games to the public, atleast then; people who want to make games can just get on with it and bring some real innovation and fun without having to sell their "souls".
    While it all sounds good, there is still the issue of Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo STILL having final say so on what content is distributed through their services. Hopefully what you allude to will come to pass, even though without a true publisher, the big three will still control distribution....

*faints* - THANK YOU MARKATISU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just made my day!!!!
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    While it all sounds good, there is still the issue of Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo STILL having final say so on what content is distributed through their services.
    Well...for now Nintendo and Microsoft are the ones really controlling what content is allowed through download. Sony are a lot more relaxed in this respect, which is pretty strange all things considering.

The way I see it, if you make a good, fun game then you'll have nothing to worry about (atleast, as far as Sony are concerned)

Hopefully what you allude to will come to pass, even though without a true publisher, the big three will still control distribution....
    Well...it's on their consoles, and there's nothing really so different compared to the traditional format for distribution. The big three still say who can and can't make games for their platforms, as well as what games are acceptable and which are not.

If you developers don't want to do that, then they're free to go off and do it on PC or Mac. The problem with that is, in the long term it becomes a lot more expensive to do stuff on those machines, and the distribution of downloadable games is far too fragmented.

And it's not as if those methods are totally free from licensing fees or content control either.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

New Prince of Persia Trailer

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    That PoP trailer doesn't look like the screenshots we've seen. I'd actually rather have it in that art style (trailer) than the cel shading. They're confusing people with the different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    That PoP trailer doesn't look like the screenshots we've seen. I'd actually rather have it in that art style (trailer) than the cel shading. They're confusing people with the different styles.
    Yeah I think this is the CGI cutscene though at the very end when he is jumping you can see similar cel-shading like the screenshots but its not as pronounced.

Its a weird turn in the series all together

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    The trailer looks beautiful.
    I dont mind cell shading but it has to look just right for me to like it.-lol
    I hope the game looks like the trailer.
    I have never played a Prince of Persia game, and now that I may get the chance(console wise) they change to something Im not so fond of.
    Oh well.

hemanrep:
    You asked me a while back what kinda games I liked and I posted them, what happened to our discussion
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

This is pretty neat, some guys got the Balance Board working on the PC and use it for google earth

Haha - This is too funny. Splatterhouse is coming back.......

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/877/877606p1.html

Tecmo Bowl for Wii confirmed!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/877/877678p1.html

This might be the first football game I buy in over 5 years...

This is too funny. Splatterhouse is coming back.......

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/877/877606p1.html
    I am a huge fan of Splatterhouse but this is not the way I envisioned it coming back, what is wrong with continuing series in 2-D

The art and screenshots just seem way too "next-gen" for me to the point of not recognizing the property (I know they are still early), its like bloom and steroids for the sake of a graphics ****ing contest

Splatterhouse was about creepy environments and the ridiculousness of the story, this version seems to be too exaggerated with the violence to revive the campyness of the original series

For me it should have been reborn as a XBLA/PSN or Wii Ware title where it could really shine with the dedicated TG16 and Arcade fans who remember the game

Tecmo Bowl for Wii confirmed!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/877/877678p1.html

This might be the first football game I buy in over 5 years...
    I really hope they do it over the top and cartoony like the series has always been, the DS version looks great (impressions here) and so my hopes for the Wii one are really high as well. They need to at least include the features the DS one has (WFC play, full team roster editing with stat changes, super moves, and local multiplayer)

Prince of Persia Wii announced, different from the one we have seen (if they are smart they will cel-shade since the Wii does excellent with that)
    http://www.livewii.fr/news/96687/-Ub...r-Wii.html?c=2

Where did this studio Ignition Entertainment come from? I've never heard of them before, and already they've made three games that I really want to check out (teenage zombies for DS, obscure for wii, and vampire rain coming soon for ps3). Has anyone played any of those yet? Well, I know not vampire rain, but the other two? Are they any good? They look cool as hell.

Also, for those who like some gameplay with their story, you may want to avoid Metal Gear Solid 4. Word is there's at least one cutscene that's an hour and a half long. One cutscene is the length of a feature film. I'm sorry, but as great as the plots of those games are, that's just rediculous. At least they've added the ability to pause the cutscenes now...

And it's funny that Splatterhouse is getting a new game. That is the one Virtual Console game I'd never previously heard of that I actually want to play. I'd insert my frustration over the VC rant here, but we've already been over that.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Also, for those who like some gameplay with their story, you may want to avoid Metal Gear Solid 4. Word is there's at least one cutscene that's an hour and a half long. One cutscene is the length of a feature film. I'm sorry, but as great as the plots of those games are, that's just rediculous. At least they've added the ability to pause the cutscenes now...
    That rumor has been debunked by Konami. I believe I read that the longest cutscene in the game is around 45 minutes, but it's the game's ending. If I remember correctly, the 1st Metal Gear Solid game on the PS1 had a near 30 minute ending.....

MGS3 Snake Eater I swear had a 25 min intro

Thats a staple of MGS games is the super long cutscenes, you get used to it after your first MGS experience

VaderLives: Ignition has been around for awhile, Obscure is actually a sequel to a PS2 game and its VERY campy horror like RE but not taking itself seriously. Its got co-op and is pretty good for $19-29 budget release that it is

Prince of Persia Wii announced, different from the one we have seen (if they are smart they will cel-shade since the Wii does excellent with that)
    http://www.livewii.fr/news/96687/-Ub...r-Wii.html?c=2
    Well that's interesting. I would have preferred that the Wii version be cel-shaded and the next gen consoles be of a realistic art style. It'd be a dumb decision to make the Wii version a realistic art style. I'm hoping this is Ubi's "Nintendo-like quality" because what they showed at Ubi days doesn't even come close.

I was listening to IGN's Wii podcast yesterday and Matt said Damon was at a Capcom event...I'm expecting something cool from them. Hopefully an update to Monster Hunter or a new IP. May be a new (real) Mega Man game. If anything just tell me that RE5 or SF4 is coming out this year and I'll be happy.

If anything just tell me that RE5 or SF4 is coming out this year and I'll be happy.
    I'm pretty sure SF4 is currently scheduled to hit this holiday season...

Well that's interesting. I would have preferred that the Wii version be cel-shaded and the next gen consoles be of a realistic art style. It'd be a dumb decision to make the Wii version a realistic art style. I'm hoping this is Ubi's "Nintendo-like quality" because what they showed at Ubi days doesn't even come close.
    You mean Dogz and Imagine Babiez was not Nintendo quality I love how Ubisoft was JUST complaining last week they are not making as much as others on the Wii (compared to say Capcom or Activision) but then look at what they release, and on top of that the games look almost worse then N64 games
    I was listening to IGN's Wii podcast yesterday and Matt said Damon was at a Capcom event...I'm expecting something cool from them. Hopefully an update to Monster Hunter or a new IP. May be a new (real) Mega Man game. If anything just tell me that RE5 or SF4 is coming out this year and I'll be happy.
    I think Zack and Wiki 2 might be in there as well, it was part of a leaked list about 2 months ago for the EU and Capcom has neither confirmed or denied and I would think that since the 1st one sold about 300k worldwide which was in line with expectations we might see a sequel which I would be ecstatic about as would my wife and I suspect some others here.

But yes give the Wii a new Mega Man, the system was not made for realistic graphics but it can do VERY well with animated and even CGI fictional characters (like most of the Nintendo characters)....developers and publishers are retarded for missing the boat and trying to push real looking games and wondering why they get panned all the time. There are plenty of IP's that could sell and/or be revived that make use of the systems abilities.

I'm pretty sure SF4 is currently scheduled to hit this holiday season...
    As of the last press release this week it said coming to PS3, 360, PC and TBD, so I think you are right that at least one version will come at the end of this year.

Now we know being Capcom that TBD is most likely PSP/PS2/DS/Wii but I would be willing to bet those editions come later since the ones they listed this week are all from the same build and the others would have to be either ported down or done specifically with them in mind.

Japan gets Super Mario RPG on the VC next month! Hope we in the US don't get screwed and NOT get it......

http://wii.ign.com/articles/877/877906p1.html

IGN UK gives MGS4 a 9.9!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p1.html

Japan gets Super Mario RPG on the VC next month! Hope we in the US don't get screwed and NOT get it......
    Oh we will get it eventually, just how long is the question. I am surprised as this was one I know had issues between Square and Nintendo as to what the payout would be. Good to see it got resolved, maybe we will see more Square titles (one can hope!)

Looks like the long-awaited in-game XMB is coming very soon plus some other cool features.

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2008/5/29-48

A GAF poster from EA also confirms that it's coming!

Now if only I knew more people with a PS3...

Looks like the long-awaited in-game XMB is coming very soon plus some other cool features.
    Thats cool, my bluetooth headset finally died (the PS3 picks it up and pairs it but I can neither hear nor can people hear me) so even if I could see you guys I cant currently talk to you

Gotta hand it to Sony for constantly updating the PS3, a lot of companies (cough Nintendo cough Microsoft cough) seem to do updates only when they have something big to show off where as Sony is doing things like Apple does where we get almost monthly updates

MGS3 Snake Eater I swear had a 25 min intro
    The cutscene before the final boss battle against Solidus in MGS2 was just shy of 45 minutes. I'm sorry, but as much as I love those games, that's rediculous.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    The cutscene before the final boss battle against Solidus in MGS2 was just shy of 45 minutes. I'm sorry, but as much as I love those games, that's rediculous.
    Well thankfully they can let you pause in this one, I cant remember if it was MGS2 or MGS3 where I fell asleep during one cutscene and by the time I woke up I had no idea what was going on!

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Now if only I knew more people with a PS3...
    I have a PS3, but I primarily use it for the Blu-Ray. My gamertag/PSN ID is nintendork41880
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.