Page 196 of 351 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 8761

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Well thankfully they can let you pause in this one, I cant remember if it was MGS2 or MGS3 where I fell asleep during one cutscene and by the time I woke up I had no idea what was going on!
    Probably 2 I would guess. While I haven't yet finished 3, I know that in 2 there were two cutscenes that were 30 minutes each, and then as I said the next to last one was 45. I haven't come across any super long ones in 3 yet (i'm at the boss fight with the sniper The End, which I'm assuming is about half way through but i'm not sure).
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Today's WiiWare/VC update:

WiiWare:

Protöthea (UbiSoft, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Protöthea is a top-down scrolling shooter game with free movement that puts players in complete control of a last-generation spaceship. The mission is to destroy the asteroid called Maqno 01 and finish with the plans of The Core. UbiSoft's Protöthea introduces new concepts to a beloved, classic game style while mixing genres and utilizing the full capabilities of the Wii console, from graphics to controls. Players of all ages and experience levels will enjoy taking command of their ship, blasting through four different worlds in 10 challenging missions. Use your weapons arsenal and the special bonus items to help you accomplish your mission, and don't forget to slow down time and take an edge over the enemy.

Toki Tori (Two Tribes, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Toki Tori is his name, and collecting eggs is his game. In this puzzle/platform game, players use a variety of items such as the Telewarp, InstantRock and Slug Sucker. Clever use and combination of these items are needed to solve all the game's levels, of which there are more than 70. Levels range from easy to brain-teasingly hard, resulting in dozens of hours of puzzle play time. Toki Tori makes the most of what Wii has to offer. It uses the Wii Remote for a unique control scheme, which offers players a new and more relaxing play style. A second player can help you out by drawing hints while you are playing. The game even uses the Wii Message Board in a unique way.

Virtual Console:

Ninja Combat (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated E 10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Mild Suggestive Themes, Fantasy Violence, 900 Wii Points): Released in 1990, Ninja Combat is a side-scrolling combat-action game. Take control of the ninjas Joe (one player) and Hayabusa (two players), and enter into battle against a group of evil ninjas called the Kage Ichizoku. Make your way into their home fortress, Ninja Tower, which dominates a big city of the near future. Fight using normal attacks, jumps, special movements and ninja materials that deliver damaging blows to all enemies on the screen. In addition, you'll find weapons and items to aid you along the way. Even better, as you progress in the game, reliable allies such as Musashi, Kagerow and Gembu will emerge to fight alongside you, allowing you to choose a new character in each stage. Ninja Combat also supports simultaneous play with two players, so you can grab a friend and defeat the Kage Ichizoku together.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Today's WiiWare/VC update:
    Toki Tori is awesome, its up there with Lost Winds in production value and puts to shame a lot of 3rd party full retail games

But the price is too steep for me this week, especially since its 100 points more than when it was released in the EU

For anyone who does not know what the game is, its an update from an old Gameboy Color game

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Sony adding some interesting features/options via PSN
    Sony just announced monthly interactive gaming program "Qore: Presented by the PLAYSTATION Network." HD PS3 gaming program Qore (pronounced "Core") will feature exclusive news, interviews and previews as well as behind-the-scenes look at PS titles — not to mention game demos and betas, "game add-ons" and other downloadable content.

The show kicks off Thursday, June 5th, and the first episode features SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Secret Agent Clank, Soul Calibur 4 and Afro Samurai, plus new Blu-ray trailers, an exclusive SOCOM: Confrontation theme with an invitation to the SOCOM: Confrontation beta.

From Sony's PlayStation.Blog:To get Qore, simply log onto PSN and go to the PLAYSTATION Store, as you would purchase any other form of downloadable content. Once the single Episode or annual subscription is purchased, that month’s episode will be downloaded under the “Game” heading on the Cross Media Bar (XMB). Users who purchase the “Qore Annual Subscription” will notice only that month’s episode is available to download. The following month, the new episode will automatically appear in your download list. The introductory price for Qore is $2.99 for a single episode and $24.99 for an annual subscription of 13 episodes, using your PLAYSTATION Network wallet.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

So yeah, my fiancee just bought a PS3.

She got Heavenly Sword (which she can have, I've watched her play it and it looks terrible. not to mention the fact that I HATED God of War so I have no intrest in playing basically the same game just with a female protagonist.) and Lego Indiana Jones (which is REALLY fun, but not exactly a showcase for the PS3's capabilities).

I dunno, the system's kinda neat, I guess. But it very much feels like it's just the same old, same old, just with a (literally) shiny new finish. Though it's nice to see that Sony has finally caught up with the Nintendo 64 and can now have 4 players .

But the controller feels extremely cheap. Like, honestly, I've had third party controllers that feel a hell of a lot more sturdy than that does. There's also a bit of a delay sometimes, as far as hitting the button and waiting for the game to register it, which isn't cool.

The only thing that has me really excited is the fact that Symphony of the Night is available for download from the Virtual Cons...er, Playstation Store. Needless to say I'll be getting that as soon as I have the time to set up an account (good lord, typing stuff in is such a chore). Now Nintendo REALLY needs to get off their ass and release Dracula X over here, so that lingering shadow of desire for a PSP can finally be eradicated.

I dunno, all in all it's kinda neat, but nowhere near worth the price point IMO. But it's her money, so what can I say? At least I know I'll definitely be able to play MGS4 and RE5.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

A nice little blog post from somebody who was refused developer status from Nintendo. I always wondered about the validity of the whole WiiWare thing given Nintendo's requirements for developer status....
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    it's nice to see that Sony has finally caught up with the Nintendo 64 and can now have 4 players .
    Umm The PS2 had four players and the PS3 has seven.

But the controller feels extremely cheap. Like, honestly, I've had third party controllers that feel a hell of a lot more sturdy than that does. There's also a bit of a delay sometimes, as far as hitting the button and waiting for the game to register it, which isn't cool.
    The controller feels cheap because you don't have rumble which makes it FEEL alot better. The regular controller is very sturdy though, mine has survied multible trips to the wall. As far as the delay, it has to register with the concole and it takes a second so just relax beau. If you have bought a third party controller then you got robbed most are VERY VERY slow and, some do not even work.

I do not like the reset button on the bottom as I hit it a few times in game and had to re-register it. It is easy to take apart and remove though.

I hate Wal-Mart employees.

Getting a few groceries there this morning around 6:45am, and lo and behold, they had 1 Wii Fit left. I wasn't planning on getting it just yet, with Ninja Gaiden 2, Lego Indy & MGS4 all hitting, but I figured what the heck. After 10 minutes of standing in front of the lockup case asking literally 6 passing-by employees to help me and all of them saying "I just punched out", I went all around the electronics department to find someone. Sure enough, as soon as someone came out with a set of keys, they were getting the last Wii Fit for some guy who just happened to walk in and be in front of the case at the right time.

When I worked for Target, it didn't matter if I punched out or not, if someone asked me for help, I either helped them directly, or physically took them to someone else who could - you don't just walk away from a customer that needs your help. *sigh* Maybe I just was too good..... Whereas at Best Buy yesterday, I was asked by 4 different employees if I needed help finding anything. (Consequently, they were COMPLETELY sold out of LEGO Indiana Jones for 360)

Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    Umm The PS2 had four players and the PS3 has seven.
    Umm, no. I'm looking at my fiancee's PS2 and there are only 2 controller slots. Nintendo has had 4 controller slots since the N64, as have both versions of the XBox.

Maybe I should have said it can have four players without having to spend extra money on an adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    The controller feels cheap because you don't have rumble which makes it FEEL alot better. The regular controller is very sturdy though, mine has survied multible trips to the wall. As far as the delay, it has to register with the concole and it takes a second so just relax beau. If you have bought a third party controller then you got robbed most are VERY VERY slow and, some do not even work.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The lack of rumble just makes the controller feel dead and lifeless, as well as cheap. Way to step backward, Sony.

And the controller delay is a big deal. With the games that I want to play, even a second's delay can seriously hurt you (and all the delays I've experienced thus far have been in-game). I dunno, maybe it's just me, but after spending $400 on a piece of hardware I would expect it to work accurately. But I guess that's Sony quality for you.

Though I have read about the problems with third party PS3 controllers. Which is why we're only going to get another first party one. I want the dualshock 3, but we'll see.

-Harvey Dent

Umm, no. I'm looking at my fiancee's PS2 and there are only 2 controller slots. Nintendo has had 4 controller slots since the N64, as have both versions of the XBox.

Maybe I should have said it can have four players without having to spend extra money on an adaptor.
    Yes you needed the multi-tap in order to play with more controllers. That part has always sucked

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The lack of rumble just makes the controller feel dead and lifeless, as well as cheap. Way to step backward, Sony.
    Well Sony thought that rumble was "sooooo last generation", until they realized that it was not and put it back in for the new Dual Shock 3

And the controller delay is a big deal. With the games that I want to play, even a second's delay can seriously hurt you (and all the delays I've experienced thus far have been in-game). I dunno, maybe it's just me, but after spending $400 on a piece of hardware I would expect it to work accurately. But I guess that's Sony quality for you.
    The quality of the machine is unquestionable, the quality of the controllers is another issue entirely. I have not seen any lag on my controller, though the logitech controller we got for P2 is VERY touchy

The PS3 is in no way as cheap and crappy as the PS2 in any way, shape or form. They just messed up massively on the controller because Sixaxis I have yet to see work (I think it only ever did on that rubber duck demo they showed) in a game and thankfully they realized the errors and came out with the Dualshock 3.

I dunno, maybe it's just Lego Indy. I haven't played anything else yet. But often times it delays hardcore. And that's just rediculous. The Wii uses wireless technology and I have never, ever had that problem. I've never even had that issue with the wireless PS2 controller my fiancee has, or the cheap ol' third party wireless Gamecube controller I have.

I hope it's just the game. Because if it's the controller/system then that is absolutely unacceptable. Not with today's level of technology.
    Last edited by VaderLives; June 5, 2008 at 02:52pm.

-Harvey Dent

I dunno, maybe it's just Lego Indy. I haven't played anything else yet. But often times it delays hardcore. And that's just rediculous. The Wii uses wireless technology and I have never, ever had that problem. I've never even had that issue with the wireless PS2 controller my fiancee has, or the cheap ol' third party wireless Gamecube controller I have.

I hope it's just the game. Because if it's the controller/system then that is absolutely unacceptable. Not with today's level of technology.
    Well the PS3 and Wii almost the exact same technology for their wireless (Bluetooth)

The PS2 and Gamecube used RF (aka radio) for their wireless

Is there any interference going on that might be causing the delay?

Another RPG was announced for the Wii, Rune Factory is making the jump from the DS to the Wii

This makes the 4th Wii RPG I want (the others being Tales of Symphonia II by Namco, Fragile by Namco, and whatever Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Square has), now if they would just get some more SRPG's out there I will be a very happy person.
    Last edited by markatisu; June 6, 2008 at 03:22pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just saw over at GameNewsi.com that Soul Calibur IV will have another Star Wars character in addition to Vader and Yoda; Vader's Secret Apprentice from the upcoming Force Unleashed game.

I got the God of War PSP for my birthday! Now if I could be assured the 360 was rid of RROD I would not have to worry what platform things come out on.

What games do PSP owners recommend?

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I got the God of War PSP for my birthday! Now if I could be assured the 360 was rid of RROD I would not have to worry what platform things come out on.

I don't have too many games on my PSP, but these are the ones I really like:

Vice City Stories - Pretty much portable GTA: Vice City
    Me and My Katamari - If you like Katamari Damacy, then this one is a no-brainer
    fl0w - Same as the PS3 version, really fun and relaxing
    Patapon - A very unique beat game
    Loco Roco - Probably my favorite PSP game!

I also have custom firmware on my PSP (with all the advantages that come with that). Hope that helps!

Snake, Snake, SNAAAKE!! Spider-01's Avatar

I don't have very many games for my PSP either, but the few I have I really enjoy.

If you're a fan of MGS, then Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is a must. It continues the story right after MGS3. It's a little different since you have to use teams of four, but most of it feels like MGS since you still only control one character at a time. IMO, they also managed to create a control scheme that really works well considering the PSP only has one joystick and no L2 or R2. Killzone: Liberation was also a great game continuing the story that started on the PS2 with the original Killzone. Unlike Killzone, however, Liberation uses a like 3/4 top view that I actually enjoy more than the first person view of the first. A really good action game. The Warriors was a lot of fun, pretty much a direct port of the PS2 version, though. Being a huge fan of the Tony Hawk series, I have to reccommend THUG2 which was a fun game. A few new additions but mostly the same as the PS2 version. Lastly, the first game I ever got for my PSP was Twisted Metal: Head-On which is loads of fun if you've ever liked that series. Not dark like TM: Black, but still has some of that dark humor.

Oh, and I have a question of my own. I have a 60 GB PS3 and think I might eventually need to upgrade it to something bigger. Is that possible?
    Last edited by Spider-01; June 7, 2008 at 07:05pm.

If you're a Megaman fan, I highly recommend Megaman Maverick Hunter X (an amazing remake of Megaman X for the SNES) and Megaman Powered Up (A deceptingly cute stylized remake of Megaman 1).

The latter especially because it has an incredible "creat your own levels" builder that you create levels from scratch using terrain templates to choose the types of terrain blocks to use, then populate the maps with an assortment of enemies, then choose a boss for that stage. When you get a stage you like, you can upload it for others to download, or download other's to try out, and rate them after based on fun, size, and difficulty.

You can play through the game as megaman, Roll, Protoman, and any of the 8-bosses who you can recapture and return to good-guy modes again. I have a few stages I've made that are just so much fun.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles is a great remake of Rondo of Blood, plus it has the original Rondo version on it, and all of Symphony of the Night. Twisted Metal Head-on is great, but I recommend the PS2 version more (more levels, Black levels, a zillion extras).
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Well, you've already got the best game on the system!

Definitely pick up the following:

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles
    Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (If you didn't already buy the PS2 port)
    Silent Hill: Origins (Again, if you didn't already pick up the PS2 port)
    Daxter
    Lumines
    Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins (AMAZING, and yes, the difficulty is right up there with all the old titles)
    Any of the Final Fantasies (Unless you're happy with previous versions)
    Metal Gear Portable Ops +

Metal Gear Ac!d 1&2 were OK, but if you're not into card battle games, I'd pass. And don't forget that Secret Agent Clank comes out on the 17th!

And above all else, I HIGHLY recommend getting custom firmware (CFW) installed. (I've personally done it to my PSPhat, but have yet to attempt it on my slim) If absolutely nothing else, it allows you to dump the UMD files to your PC's hard drive and then copy them back to the memory stick and play them off there instead of constantly having the disc spinning. This vastly improves the battery's life. But there are so many other things CFW can do, like run a TON of emulators. Plus with CFW you can personally rip your PS1 games and load those to your memory stick as well! (No more waiting for the pathetic selection of PS1 titles on the PSN store to expand!) And not that I publicly condone it, but because you can play UMD files off the memory stick w/CFW, you can download the files from certain sites, effectively enabling you to "try out" full version PSP games before you buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-01 View Post
    Oh, and I have a question of my own. I have a 60 GB PS3 and think I might eventually need to upgrade it to something bigger. Is that possible?
    Yeah, Check out the PS3 manual - it details the steps for swapping out the Hard Drive. Make sure you back up everything first! Regular old laptop hard drives will be what you need.....
    Last edited by Skullface; June 8, 2008 at 12:01am.

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    the fact that I HATED God of War
    That's blasphemy!! Serious I got GOW COO for my trip to Vegas and smoked it literally from the flight from PA there and 2 hrs the next day. The game was great, but too damn short. I've been playing Crisis Core for awhile now and I think the game is something different w/a nostalgic feel to it.
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

GOW was hands down the most frustrating game I have ever played, and I hated every second that I had to play it (my fiancee kept say keep playing, you'll like it. nope). I don't think I've hated a game quite so much, except for maybe Majora's Mask.

-Harvey Dent

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    GOW was hands down the most frustrating game I have ever played, and I hated every second that I had to play it (my fiancee kept say keep playing, you'll like it. nope). I don't think I've hated a game quite so much
    I hate GOW myself, for several reasons: repetitive gameplay, mini-game style boss battles, and frustration aplenty. I lost count of the number of times I got crushed to death in that underwater section before throwing my hands up and quitting-that was as far as I got and I have no desire to try again at any point.

(For those who never played GOW, there's an underwater area where you have to swim from one of a passage to the other while avoiding a wall that, if it touches you, pushes you into another wall to an instant death with no way to move once you've been caught. There are alcoves in the floor to hide in as the moving wall passes overhead, but there's only one or two, and if you're even sticking out of it a tiny bit, you're dead. I tried passing this area so many times and failing before I had enough.)
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

Snake, Snake, SNAAAKE!! Spider-01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    And above all else, I HIGHLY recommend getting custom firmware (CFW) installed. (I've personally done it to my PSPhat, but have yet to attempt it on my slim) If absolutely nothing else, it allows you to dump the UMD files to your PC's hard drive and then copy them back to the memory stick and play them off there instead of constantly having the disc spinning. This vastly improves the battery's life. But there are so many other things CFW can do, like run a TON of emulators. Plus with CFW you can personally rip your PS1 games and load those to your memory stick as well! (No more waiting for the pathetic selection of PS1 titles on the PSN store to expand!) And not that I publicly condone it, but because you can play UMD files off the memory stick w/CFW, you can download the files from certain sites, effectively enabling you to "try out" full version PSP games before you buy them.
    This sounds interesting. How do I install custom firmware onto my PSP? I did a quick search and all of it looks kinda complicated with different versions and such. All I really want to be able to do is save the original Metal Gear Solid onto my PSP so I can play it on the go.

OK so I think my complaining about the responsiveness of the PS3 controller may have been a bit premature. I do think it's Lego Indy, that game seems to be pretty glitchy. It's nowhere near the DS Lego Star Wars 2 level of glitchyness to the point of unplayability, but there have been many times so far where my fiancee or I have had to quit and restart levels because events didn't trigger, or certain items didn't respawn correctly, etc. So I'll wait until I play something else to determine my final opinion. I really want to rent Uncharted or Incredible Hulk sometime soon (since I'm not going to be able to afford $60 for one game anytime soon it appears).
    Last edited by VaderLives; June 8, 2008 at 11:09pm.

-Harvey Dent

I really want to rent Uncharted or Incredible Hulk sometime soon (since I'm not going to be able to afford $60 for one game anytime soon it appears).
    Uncharted is simply awesome, especially as you get deeper into the game.

And I see we all share similar feelings about God of War, however I must say the PSP version is so much better than the two PS2 games. I am loving it, the mini game boss battles do not seem as tedious and I think the game flows better then the console editions