Page 20 of 351 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mannyscollectibles
    Any help from people on how early to be at the stores on launch day? First time to get a system on the day it launches so I really dont know what to do to have the best chances in scoring a Wii.Camp out overnight or be at the store 5-6 hours ahead of time
    For Gamecube, i was outside the Wal-Mart at 6:30am (store opened at 8) and got one. This in a city with 300,000+.

So, it really depends on where you plan to wait and how many people live in your city.

However, there is more demand for Wii than there was for GCN...so I might be at Wal-Mart a little earlier...who knows.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt
    For Gamecube, i was outside the Wal-Mart at 6:30am (store opened at 8) and got one. This in a city with 300,000+.

So, it really depends on where you plan to wait and how many people live in your city.

However, there is more demand for Wii than there was for GCN...so I might be at Wal-Mart a little earlier...who knows.

He-Matt thanks for your help and insight...I actually plan on going to Best Buy in Woodbridge,VA...not a big city to tell you the truth and with a population of about 35,000 I think I may have a good chance. I guess I'll be dressed warm and wait since 5 AM to get one.Its only a 6 hour wait...who knows I may not only get 1 but 2.
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    So looks like Target is running a promotion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koopa/272856857/

Not only that look at their gift cards!

That's a pretty cool deal. I just like that the card lights up (or at least seems to based on the pics).

I'd almost be tempted to try and get some games there, but I already have 3 games reserved at Gamestop, including Zelda. As nice as it would be to get $20 back after buying 3 games, I wouldn't want to risk not being able to get the ones that I want because of it (in the event that they were to sell out of a particular title, etc). Plus, with what I will be spending that day in a combined total between the system, an extra Wii mote & nunchuck, and 3 games, another $20 in one direction or the other isn't making much of a difference.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

MS Pulls plug on HDD

Despite clear indication at X06 Korea, Microsoft insists there are no plans to release a 100GB hard drive for Xbox 360 next March. The official statement is as follows:

"The reference to a 100GB hard drive in a recent presentation in Korea has been misleading and in fact we have no plans to bring a 100GB hard drive to the market. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused."

When questioned, Microsoft reps did concede that a larger (more competitive) drive was still a possibility, but reiterated that such an accessory would not be announced in the near future.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160327.html

Pelican has a PS3 accessory on the EB site, it's a PS3/PS2 controller adapter. Which will enable you to play your games with your PS2 controllers which we all know have rumble. It costs less than 5 bucks.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?c...ct%5Fid=802566
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; October 23, 2006 at 04:30pm.

Pelican has a PS3 accessory on the EB site, it's a PS3/PS2 controller adapter. Which will enable you to play your games with your PS2 controllers which we all know have rumble. It costs less than 5 bucks.
    But how will that really work? I mean, don't the games, themselves, have to be programmed to have the feedback occur on the controller when certain things happen within the game?
    I guess it will be nice for people playing their old PS2 and PS1 games on PS3, but will it really do anything for the actual, new PS3 games? If so, I really would like an explanation on how that will work.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?c...ct%5Fid=802566
    Howdy

But that can't compensate for the tilt sensors. So you won't be able to pay War Hawk with it. A game that would benefit from both rumble and tilt.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by asharachal
    they'll prolly have a 1 per customer rule on the hardware
    Well...Im married so that would be one for my wife and one for me
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

Howdy

BEAUTIFUL

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by mannyscollectibles
    Well...Im married so that would be one for my wife and one for me
    You can't share? At least for a while till after the launch madness or a price drop? Around March I'm sure when they take out Wii sports. And will release new colors.

Honestly I don't see you having any problem getting more than one or finding them on shelves anyway.

No the PS2 controller won't work any special way on the PS3 and in fact you'll be tethered by the cord. Correct as I have stated before the game tells the controller to shake so if it's not programmed in it, then it won't work.

It's not in the first party controller so developers won't program for it. But some people will want it I guess to play older non PS3 titles. Or who knows. A 3rd party company is just filling up gaps in the market for those who want it. at 5 retail it can't be that much to produce.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; October 23, 2006 at 10:38pm.

[PS3] Faster load times, smaller free hard drive space

Howdy

Selected PS3 games will offer the option to install, PC-style, on to the console's hard drive to allow faster in-game loading times, it was revealed at last Friday's Gamer's Day conference.

Slash-'em-up Genji: Days of the Blade allows a 4GB install that will drastically reduce the wait between scenes, MTV has reported - although that's not the entire contents of the game, as playing without the disc in the drive provides no music.

It's rumoured that two other PS3 launch titles shown at Gamer's Day - Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 - also have this feature, in which case punters with the 20GB PS3 may find that those three alone would fill up their hard drive.

The more cynical among us might wonder if that means we can expect lengthy loading times from PS3 titles that aren't borrowing a chunk of our hard drive space - it's certainly been the case with our experience of games running off disc at E3 and the Tokyo Game Show. But it's still a welcome choice, and with some form of hard drive guaranteed in every PS3, no-one will be left out of the option.

Gamesradar

Just noticed something, on both Gamesradar and IGN there are now big banners advertising the Wii launch. AWESOME!!!

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; October 23, 2006 at 10:43pm.

Yes it cuts the load times down. The HDD isn't an issue seriously. I mean you play a game you beat it you get the Space back. Unless your gonna play 5 games simultaneously on the 20 Gb model which I don't know how many people will get that model. You have to figure not many since the Premium Xbox Sku outsells the core.

This is also not MS or the 360. Just like the PS2 the HDD isn't proprietary. So you can put in a 250 GB hard drive from any manufaturer of your choice in it and it will read it just fine. You can get a HDD on sale now adays for relatively cheap. I say 250 cause that's the biggest known to have been tried. But I mean aside from game installs which is optional by the way no mandatory. Do you really think your gonna fill your HDD on your PS3 up with Photos/Music/Television shows. If you use it to game on then you shouldn't ever run into a problem.

I mean look at the 360 downloads are 50MB, Demos Xbox live arcade games etc. And that only has a 20 GB, 13 after you account for the O/S and when was the last time you heard someone complain that they had no room. It's all about managing your space. And you can connect to a PC with both the 360 and PS3 so if you want to pull something off and save it else where then that's do able. And also external USB drives work as well. So it's real non issue.

Ok, I really haven't been keeping up all that well with the PS3 because, well, it just hasn't been a priority.

However, from what tid bits I have been picking up on, it sounds like a lot of the differences between the $500 model and $600 model that were once believed to exist have now been reduced quite a bit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but at one point only the more expensive version was going to have HDMI, but now both will, and there were other things on top of it.

So, at his point, aside from the Hard Drive space (which is the one difference that I know for sure), what exactly is the differences between the cheaper and more expensive models?

The reason that I ask is because I know that I will get one eventually, despite my issues with Sony. And as Aerostratos88 said, you can go out and buy a hard drive and install it into the system. So, if the only difference between the two systems (aside from anything cosmetic) is the hard drive space, then I may simply just consider buying the cheaper system and buying a separate hard drive for around $100 or so with even more space than what the more expensive model even comes with, resulting in me having more space for around the same price as the more expensive unit.

However, if there are other things that come with the more expensive version that I will significantly lose on, then I may change my mind about that. I'm just curious to know more about this matter.

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger Dragon Ranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003
    Howdy

BEAUTIFUL

Chris M
    Seriously, I have to change my pants now.
    The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world.

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003
    Howdy

BEAUTIFUL

Chris M
    Thats one sweet shot. Why can't today be Nov. 19th?
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Howdy

Nintendo has revealed further details of its £11 million marketing campaign for its new Wii console.

The games giant has revealed that TV adverts will appear on Channel 4, Five, Sky One and other main digital channels in the run-up to the launch of the console on 8 December.

Nintendo will also be placing 60-second adverts into major Christmas family films and TV shows such as the X-Factor final and Coronation Street. A three-minute version of the advertising will be available through interactive TV and the internet.

It was announced at a retail launch on Friday that Nintendo will give the Wii a £11 million push, with TV, cinema and sampling planned. It’s understood that £6.5 million of the budget will be spent until the end of December, with the remaining £4.5 million used during the next sales peak in Easter.

Nintendo has yet to reveal the content of the advertising, but the campaign will debut in November and will run through to the New Year.

The company is also spending an estimated £6 million on marketing its handheld device, the DS. Nintendo will be hoping the delayed launch of the PlayStation 3, which was meant to be on sale for Christmas but will now not be available until the spring, will help the Wii and DS dominate the lucrative festive period.

The Wii, which has been priced at £179, will have 20 games titles available at launch, including The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Red Steel.

Nintendo has included cordless controllers, touch screen and voice recognition to the Wii. The company hopes the multi-player aspect of the console will hope widen the age demographic of games players, making gaming a family-orientated experience.

Mad.co.uk

Exciting stuff

Chris M

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Ok, I really haven't been keeping up all that well with the PS3 because, well, it just hasn't been a priority.

However, from what tid bits I have been picking up on, it sounds like a lot of the differences between the $500 model and $600 model that were once believed to exist have now been reduced quite a bit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but at one point only the more expensive version was going to have HDMI, but now both will, and there were other things on top of it.

So, at his point, aside from the Hard Drive space (which is the one difference that I know for sure), what exactly is the differences between the cheaper and more expensive models?

The reason that I ask is because I know that I will get one eventually, despite my issues with Sony. And as Aerostratos88 said, you can go out and buy a hard drive and install it into the system. So, if the only difference between the two systems (aside from anything cosmetic) is the hard drive space, then I may simply just consider buying the cheaper system and buying a separate hard drive for around $100 or so with even more space than what the more expensive model even comes with, resulting in me having more space for around the same price as the more expensive unit.

However, if there are other things that come with the more expensive version that I will significantly lose on, then I may change my mind about that. I'm just curious to know more about this matter.

The premium will release at $599 USD and will feature a new cell processor, Blu-Ray drive, a 60 GB HDD, 6 USB ports, bluetooth controllers (up to 7), wi-fi for PSP connectivity, ethernet connection for networking, a slot for memory cards, and a port to hook up a HDMI lead for 1080p output.

The basic version will release at $499, and will have a 20 GB HDD and be lacking wi-fi, memory card slots, or, the largest concern, HDMI output. Otherwise, it's feature list is the same as the premium, though the casing of the premium may be slightly different to visually tell the difference.

This was kinda old info but aside from the HDMI which is now on the PS3 basic the rest is accurate. I really don't know what would stop them from releasing accessories to make the Basic a Premium ala 360.

Intresting note in the article it said that some regions/countries won't be getting a basic at all as there will only be 1 PS3 offered.

http://www.wiiloaded.com/wiinews-125

Also in other news EB/Gamestop is investigating EBay auctions of preordered PS3s and if an employee reserved one and threw/throws it on Ebay their employment will be terminated. That might free up a couple PS3s on launch day.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; October 24, 2006 at 07:44am.

This was kinda old info but aside from the HDMI which is now on the PS3 basic the rest is accurate. I really don't know what would stop them from releasing accessories to make the Basic a Premium ala 360.
    Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what I had previously heard, but then after I heard about the change in HDMI, I wasn't sure if any other differences had changed as well.

Wii @ Best Buy heres what to expect.

Sony puts Lik-Sang out of business.

The venerable Hong Kong-based import shop, Lik-Sang, has posted a lengthy, angry "Out of Business Notice" on their website citing multiple Sony lawsuits as the cause for their collapse. Sony originally brought actions against Lik-Sang last August for exporting PSPs to the UK before the release of the console there. Just last week a high court judge in London ruled that the sales were illegal in Europe and blocked them, even though Lik-Sang argued they broke no Hong Kong laws.

Last week, Pascal Clarysse, Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com argued, "Fighting multiple lawsuits in different countries at the same time and paying high premiums to expensive lawyers is an overwhelming situation for a small company like Lik Sang. Launching separate court actions with separate claims and different judges is completely unnecessary, except for the fact that it helps reaching one single target: outspend Lik-Sang to death. Pay beyond." Apparently, those lawsuits, and the realization they would be unable to sell Sony products to Europe, was enough to jeopardize the profitability of the shop. In a final lashing out against their extermination, this morning's release even lists several notable European Sony executives who've made "PSP related" purchases from Lik-Sang in the past. Whoops!

Now, before we all grab our trusty -- and narratively convenient -- pitchforks and torches and storm Castle Sony looking for a monster, let's remember that Sony was only protecting what it said it would and what it apparently (according to a London high court judge at least) has a legal right to. Were the "separate court actions with separate claims and different judges" really designed to exterminate one of the internet's most popular gaming import retailers? Perhaps. It's hard to be certain when emotions and business are so tightly interwoven, but we can be certain of one thing: Sony didn't need the negative press this is gonna earn them.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

[QUOTE=AeroStratos88]Wii @ Best Buy heres what to expect.

Howdy

Awesome, that looks really good

Its a shame Lik-Sang is gone but if they were doing something that they could get sued for then no sympathy from me.

Chris M

Update

Sony has issued a response to GamesIndustry.biz denying responsibility for closure of the popular online shop, alleging "sour grapes" on Lik-Sang's part. Basically, since they didn't show up to contest the case in London, therefore incurring no costs, and haven't paid the amount awarded to Sony, there is little reason -- save for the anticipated losses due to an inability to sell Sony products to Europe in the future -- that Lik-Sang should have been forced to fold.

Sony has issued a response to GamesIndustry.biz denying responsibility for closure of the popular online shop, alleging "sour grapes" on Lik-Sang's part. Basically, since they didn't show up to contest the case in London, therefore incurring no costs, and haven't paid the amount awarded to Sony, there is little reason -- save for the anticipated losses due to an inability to sell Sony products to Europe in the future -- that Lik-Sang should have been forced to fold.
    Howdy

Thats different from Nintendo. They would have said "yes we killed them, bled them dry...the fools".

Ahem, or something to that effect.

Chris M

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Wii @ Best Buy heres what to expect.

I think ours will be set up the week before the launch. I work as a cashier at Best Buy, and I was talking with my boss about it and Im going in on an overnight or two to get it all set up
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Halo 3 demo in early '07?

Howdy

Xbox 360 owners could be getting not just a second glimpse but a playable demo of its superstar shooter Halo 3 in the first half of 2007.

So far, Halo-starved fans have only had the E3 2006 teaser movie to chew on but American mag Game Informer claims "sources have revealed" the demo is scheduled for next year - although their efforts to get an official response from Microsoft received the usual "no comment".

The publication goes on to speculate that Microsoft will likely announce its plans for a Halo 3 demo (if it actually exists) in November, to draw attention from PS3 and Wii fever.

With the full game rumoured for a November 2007 release and, according to developer Bungie, already in a playable state, it's up to Microsoft's marketing engine as to when we'll next see Master Chief - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Gamesradar

[PS3] No 'gamerscore' feature planned; achievements optional

PlayStation 3's online gaming service will not feature an Xbox Live-style rolling 'gamerscore' for your profile, based on accomplishments you make in games.

In addition, developers will be able to include rewards like those offered by Xbox 360's achievements system, however this will be purely optional and "on a game-by-game basis," according to Sony America's executive vice president Jack Tretton.

It had been thought that Sony would offer a system called Entitlements to rival Microsoft's Achievements but PS3's online setup won't mirror Xbox Live's all-games-under-one-roof approach - so with different games using different ways to link up it could be difficult to track scores across all PS3 titles. Jack Tretton's comments came during an interview with Game|Life.

However, with the huge success of Live's gamertag community, it's strange that Sony wouldn't want to tap into the proven one-upmanship market. Will the lack of a persistent, online-viewable score to boast about ruin your multiplayer gaming experience? Why not hit the forum and let us know?

Gamesradar

EDIT: IGN HAVE A NEW WII MICROSITE TO ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS AND FILL YOUR HEAD WITH INFO here

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; October 25, 2006 at 07:12am.

I really don't see the point or appeal of the whole gamerscore thing. From what I can tell, its not a very balanced system. Someone could get a huge gamer score and unlock tons of achievements by playing games that aren't that difficult, but then someone else may have a lower score, but have been playing games that are much more challenging and therefore take longer to get through.

The whole concept seems silly and pointless to me. And, in playing my Xbox 360, I actually find it annoying when the little box pops up telling me that I unlocked an achievement. When it happens, I'm thinking, "That's great! I don't care! Stop disrupting my game with your stupid little achievement pop up boxes, you jerks!"

So, despite how I generally feel about Sony, I actually applaud them for not putting such a ridiciulous, pointless system in their machine. Kudos to them on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    I really don't see the point or appeal of the whole gamerscore thing. From what I can tell, its not a very balanced system. Someone could get a huge gamer score and unlock tons of achievements by playing games that aren't that difficult, but then someone else may have a lower score, but have been playing games that are much more challenging and therefore take longer to get through.

The whole concept seems silly and pointless to me. And, in playing my Xbox 360, I actually find it annoying when the little box pops up telling me that I unlocked an achievement. When it happens, I'm thinking, "That's great! I don't care! Stop disrupting my game with your stupid little achievement pop up boxes, you jerks!"

So, despite how I generally feel about Sony, I actually applaud them for not putting such a ridiciulous, pointless system in their machine. Kudos to them on this one!
    What people do is get good at one game. And then go into settings and change their region and play through the same game multiple times and it unlocks the same achievements over and over but still counts towards your over all score. It's a flawed system.

Wal Mart is selling PS3s for 299.82 or so says their website. You know someone got fired for this.

2 more commercials. 1 for Blu Ray capacity and 1 for the Cell.

Last edited by AeroStratos88; October 25, 2006 at 11:41am.