Page 206 of 351 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Nobody wants to talk about the Check Mii Out channel? Did I come to the wrong place?
    i mess around with it every now and then. I have a bunch downloaded to my mii channel like peter griffin and quagmire. I've also added two i made; i think it was a "grey" (alien) and leatherface.

Wow, High Voltage games has come a long way with "The Conduit", these are the guys who designed their own engine and have a publisher but have not made a formal announcement of who it is

They are going to have a playable demo next week at E3 but this is the kind of stuff I am talking about when it comes to Wii graphics, the environments still need some work (but this game is not coming till 2009 anyway) and so it finally looks like someone other than Nintendo and Capcom have decided to TRY and do something that looks better than the Gamecube.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

More Free PC game goodness.

8-Bit Killer is an absolutely FREE old school shooter that hearkens back to the days of Blake Stone It also features many influences from well 8-bit classics like Contra, Metroid, Mega Man, Seven cities of gold, blended with a mouselook enabled Wolfenstein 3D.

Last edited by TheDeviot; July 10, 2008 at 11:49pm.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Wow, High Voltage games has come a long way with "The Conduit", these are the guys who designed their own engine and have a publisher but have not made a formal announcement of who it is
    That's pretty impressive. It looks very "last gen" in a sort of Dreamcast type way, but I mean that as a good thing! It's refereshing to see something that isn't using per-pixel-lighting to the hilt to be realistic.

Designing their own engine is the right way to go, as I think I've discovered a reason for most Wii games looking the way that they do. I'm not allowed to go into details, but I think most publishers/devs that just see the Wii as a money making machine, elect the cheapest route for development, which is not to write their OWN rendering engine.

Instead they use something already written; not by the publisher or developer but by....somebody else. Which I have to say, is fully featured but leaves me wondering about just how flexible it really is. And also if the content pipe-line allows people to easily create stuff that fully utilises what few graphical strengths the Wii has.

It reminds me of the Directx 5 port for the Dreamcast, which let people get their games working very quickly. But these games tended to look simplistic and cruddy because the DX5 port never had any real support for the special features of the Dreamcast (VQ texture compression, specific paths for opaque and translucent polys, proper scene caching, CPU support for 3d operations etc.) and had to support a very generic, all-purpose approach to rendering
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Damn that game just keeps looking better and better. High Voltage rocks!
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

I just posted the following on the Rock Band thread, but I'm curious on what others think that may not venture into that thread.....

Konami files suit against Harmonix/MTV/Viacom over patents related to Rock Band:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/888/888193p1.html

While I don't deny that Konami essentially introduced the idea that has gone on to become Rock Band/Guitar Hero, I'm thinking this is just them crying "Sour Grapes" with Rock Revolution (their version of Rock Band) coming out this year.

They know they're the third choice of the 3 similar types of games, and they're looking at any way they can block the momentum of the other established franchises. Why not file suit against Activision? Why wait to file suit 8 months after Rock Band came out if Konami's patents are 5-6 years old?

As cool as Rock Revolution's drum kit looks, they definitely aren't getting my $$$ until they hit clearance.......

This genre of game has now become the most cutthroat for dominance in gaming!

WOW - this is freakin' beautiful...........

http://comics.ign.com/articles/887/887816p1.html
    Last edited by Skullface; July 11, 2008 at 04:52pm.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

E3 starts later today, here is the press conference schedule

Monday, July 14
    • Microsoft: 10:30 am PT / 1:30 pm ET
    • Electronic Arts: 3:00 pm PT / 6:00 pm ET

Tuesday, July 15
    • Nintendo: 9:00am PT / 12:00 pm ET
    • Sony: 11:30 am PT / 1:30 pm ET
    • Ubisoft: 2:30 pm PT / 5:30 pm ET
    • Capcom: 4:30 pm PT / 7:30 pm PT
    • Activision's non-E3 event: 7:00 pm PT / 10:00 pm ET

Wednesday, July 16
    • Take-Two: 10:45 am PT / 1:45 pm ET
    • Konami: 2:30 pm PT / 5:30 pm ET

Things to look for:

• New 360 SKU's, changes to Xbox Live, and Possible Motion Controller
    • Sony HOME, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Games for Q1 2009
    • Nintendo 2nd Half 2008 Games (Animal Crossing, Maybe Punch Out, Kid Icarus)
    • Capcom unveiling 2 secret games (systems unknown)

Sony pretty much won last years with gamers (Killzone, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4) and Nintendo won with the media (Wii Fit and Mario Kart)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

New 360 SKU's
    Maybe they'll announce more, but all the sales ads this week advertise the 20GB marked down to $299.99, which is essentially a clearance price, as that model is discontinued.

Target & Gamestop/EB confirmed Sunday that a new 60GB model will be available 8/1 for $349.99. Microsoft issued a small press release today, after that news made it out to the public.

E3 starts later today, here is the press conference schedule
    I knew that there's been something missing from my life for the last few years....crunching to get the E3 demo ready!!
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Well, seems Nintendo is 1 step ahead of everyone, Microsoft is rumored to be coming out with a motion controller so Nintendo announces an upgrade to theirs

Welcome Wiimote 2.0 (aka Wii MotionPlus)

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play.

The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

Wii Update:

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

July 14, 2008

Enjoying a nice hot dog, tending to your flowers-not exactly the hallmarks of an adventurous lifestyle, right? Think again. This week's additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel feature action and excitement in unlikely settings, from super-charged eating contests to a greenhouse that's been invaded by a certain world-famous ape. We've also thrown in a classic scrolling actioner for those who prefer a more familiar brand of fist-flying combat. For WiiWare™ lovers and Virtual Console™ devotees alike, it's a great week to get some unexpected kicks.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Major League Eating: The Game™ (Mastiff, 1-2 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Crude Humor, 1,000 Wii Points): The ultimate chomp-off is about to begin. Grab your Wii Remote™ controller and dig into 12 different foods as you compete against the greatest major-league eaters in the world. This isn't just a race to stuff your face-you'll need strategy to master a smorgasbord of digestive attacks, defenses and counters. These include the Mega Burp, Gas Attack, Antacid and more. And don't forget to keep an eye on your Barf-O-Meter, because if the food hits the plate twice, you're out. Unlock more than 10 characters in single-player career mode, go gut-to-gut against your friends in versus mode, or compete online using Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. Online play supports friend codes, random matchmaking and leader boards.

Virtual Console

Donkey Kong™ 3 (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Based on the third game in the enormously popular arcade series, Donkey Kong 3 introduces an exterminator named Stanley as he desperately tries to protect the flowers in his greenhouse from Donkey Kong. Armed only with a can of bug spray, Stanley must force Donkey Kong higher and higher into the greenhouse rafters until Donkey Kong is off the screen and the next stage is reached. Not surprisingly, Donkey Kong isn't going to move without a fight, so he sends wave after wave of bugs, bees and other creatures toward Stanley. Not only must Stanley repel the insects in order to save the flowers, but he'll also have to keep an eye out for projectiles thrown by Donkey Kong himself. If Stanley is good enough, he'll be able to grab a can of more powerful bug spray and really get Donkey Kong moving. It all adds up to frantic fun that anyone can enjoy.

NINJA COMMANDO (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Mild Language, Fantasy Violence, 900 Wii Points): NINJA COMMANDO is a vertically scrolling action game released by ADK in 1992. Players choose from among three ninjas-Joe, descended from the Koga ninja; Rayar, a woman who has learned the ways of the Iga ninja; and Ryu, descendant of the famous ninja Fuma Kotaro-as they pursue the merchant of death known as Spider, who plans to use a time machine to bring havoc to the world. The battle spans seven time periods, including the Stone Age, the Egyptian era and the Japanese Civil War era. Each hero features a variety of attack options in addition to their own normal attacks, including a deadly attack that inflicts damage upon all enemies on the screen, special ninja-arts attacks performed by inputting specific commands, and a powerful attack unleashed by taking on the "shape of the beast" when three scrolls have been collected. The game also supports two-player cooperative play, so you're welcome to bring a friend and enjoy taking on the evil Spider together.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Microsoft E3 Press Conference (will update as conference goes on)

Release Dates Announced:
    -RE5 worldwide release March 12th 2009
    -Infinite Discover by Square-Enix : September 2 2008
    -Gears of War 2: November 7 2008
    -Fallout 3 : October 2008
    -Fable 2 : Fall 2008
    -Geometry Wars 2: August 2008
    -Star Ocean: Spring 2009
    -Last Remnant : November 20 2008, also coming to PC
    -Final Fantasy XIII Worldwide release between PS3 and 360

System Announcements:
    -5 million ahead of PS3
    -3.5 million songs for music games downloaded on Xbox Live
    -Universal and NBC to provide content to XBL in HD
    -New XBL 3-D Interface (looks similar to cover flow in iTunes)
    -Fully customizable Avatars for Gamercard (think HD Mii's)
    -Avatars will intergrate into a community (looks similar to Secondlife and HOME)
    -Netflix partnering with Xbox Live to provide content (watch movies on demand just like you can do already on the PC w/netflix)
    -LIVE Vision camera coming, boxed with You're in the Movies game

Game Annoucements:
    -1 vs 100 game using Avatars (gameshow game but looks pretty cool, going to be run in primetime, scheduled times)
    -Uno Rush (XBL Uno with Avatars)
    -Galaga Legions (true sequel to original Galaga)
    -PORTAL Still Alive
    -1st DLC for GTAIV coming soon
    -Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts (looks pretty cool, hard to tell how good it looks like via E3 stream)
    -Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise (this looks pretty)
    -Scene It! Box Office Smash (with Avatar support)
    -You're in the Movies, its a moving making Game (this looks totally lame, like a ripoff of what the eyetoy did on the PS2)
    -Guitar Hero REM Track Pack available before any other system, Metallica DLC available day of new album release
    -Van Halen and the Eagles are exclusive to Guitar Hero World Tour
    -LIPS Karaoke, allows you to import music from your own files for use, motion sensitive mics (Duffy came out to show how it works)
    -Rock Band 2, 500 songs by Christmas

FINAL FANTASY XIII FOR 360!!!

Final Thoughts:

Most of it was super boring, the Avatar stuff looks cool but it just seems as a "me too" way of trying to get some of the Wii's audience

The LIVE Camera screams of an Eyetoy rip off

Final Fantasy XIII coming to 360 as well is a massive blow to Sony, a massive massive massive blow

No Motion Controller, at all (but judging how the LIVE camera and avatars bombed with the audience I can understand why it was not shown if it is ready)

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger Dragon Ranger's Avatar
    Oh my god I'm shaking right now....

Final Fantasy XIII for the 360. I'm sorry, but there is NO reason to buy a PS3 for me, anymore.
    The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world.

FF13 on 360 just dealt a MAJOR blow to Sony. But with Blu-Ray winning the war, I'm sure console sales will still be there.

I'm more surprised Microsoft didn't mention ANYTHING about the new console SKU/pricing. Guess they're waiting until it launches to issue a press release....

The avatar thing is just annoying. Miis were fun for me for about a day or so. This is nothing more than "We can do it too! And give you a few more customization options!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    FF13 on 360 just dealt a MAJOR blow to Sony. But with Blu-Ray winning the war, I'm sure console sales will still be there.
    Yeah that was the saving grace for Sony, the "wait till" of every Sony fanboy and analyst

Their press conference tomorrow is going to be of note, given what Nintendo laid down earlier (the small release of the Wiimote 2.0 with the premise that Tuesday we will get the full brunt of their plans) and MS just stealing probably the biggest exclusive the PS3 will ever have.

The avatar thing is just annoying. Miis were fun for me for about a day or so. This is nothing more than "We can do it too! And give you a few more customization options!"
    As my wife said "they just dont get it", even the games that utilize the Avatars look somewhat complicated (the 1 vs 100 is only playable during primetime, meaning you have to wait for it like a real show not just pick up and play whenever or with your friends at any time)

The LIVE Camera thing was the best example of being out of touch with the audience you are trying to steal

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    I actually liked Microsoft's briefing. I liked both the hardcore and casual games that were shown. The FFXIII announcement just goes to show that money talks and that development costs are through the roof. I still think FFXIII will sell more on the PS3, but as for selling more consoles, things are not looking good.

Prices and games are gonna be a concern for the PS3.

Sony needs a lot of help.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I actually liked Microsoft's briefing. I liked both the hardcore and casual games that were shown. The FFXIII announcement just goes to show that money talks and that development costs are through the roof. I still think FFXIII will sell more on the PS3, but as for selling more consoles, things are not looking good.
    You gotta wonder how much MS paid to get it to come over??

It wont do much to change the landscape in Japan (360 already gets 99% of the RPG in that region despite their horrendous sales in the region) but in the US its going to have a great effect I think on slowing any momentum the PS3 had

Sony needs a lot of help.
    Thats an understatement, I keep trying to think of some kind of annoucement for them that can rival FFXIII being dual platform. Two of their biggest franchises have already launched (MGS4 and Devil May Cry 4), most of their other biggest PS2 sellers are dual platform (RE,GTAIV), a new Jak and Daxter wont do much if Ratcher and Clank is any indication.

There is not much left because as awesome as Killzone looks it is shadowed by Resistance 2 which is already dwarfed by Gears of War II on the 360. Little Big Planet could be big but at the same time it could also go the way of Viva Pinata on 360 (barely any sales to make a different), and Gran Turismo 5 is still 1-2 years off, judging by the drop off in Prologue sales it wont do much damage either.

MS in a sense has castrated Sony for the moment

Things are also not aided by the fact Nintendo is up 1st tomorrow and their Wiimote 2.0 annoucement already shut down NeoGaf a few times due to too many people posting/reading, if they announce a new Punch Out or as has been rumored a new Zelda game then Sony will have been smacked from both sides

And here we thought E3 was going to be boring

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Is FFXIII on 360 going to be on multiple discs?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Its going to have to be, Lost Odyssey was 4 discs and it was nowhere near as impressive. There is no way that game is fitting on less than 2 DVD's

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    It almost would have to be.....

I'm loving the news on the Banjo-Kazooie remake for LIVE. Just as long as they do a better job than they did with Conker on Xbox 1. (Which was beautiful, but got censored really badly)

Is Rare ever gonna bring back Battletoads?

Waiting for Nintendo news on Punch-Out, Kid Icarus, & Zelda. (Which there better be something announced, as Twilight Princess was essentially finished back in 2005, and they already said they'd been working on the next one for over a year when TP released......)

Nintendo also better address their supply issues, and either announce a Hard Drive or direct SD loading. The SD loading can/should happen, as I used the Twilight Hack to put the Homebrew channel on my Wii. The SNES emulator I run on it loads itself and the ROMs directly from the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Nintendo also better address their supply issues, and either announce a Hard Drive or direct SD loading. The SD loading can/should happen, as I used the Twilight Hack to put the Homebrew channel on my Wii. The SNES emulator I run on it loads itself and the ROMs directly from the card.
    Seriously, if they do not address that tomorrow then they will never addresss it! Just update the dang firmware already

Enough of this cleaning out the fridge business, I want a bigger fridge

I said this on the IGN boards, but the only thing that can offset the shocking announcement of FFXIII on the 360 is a remake of FFVII exclusively on the PS3.

I fully expect RE5 to be demo'ed at Sony's conference and that should keep it a little bit interesting. I'm really scared for the PS3 right now.

The IGNPS3 podcast mentioned some news about the PSP last week. May be PSP2?

Kingdom Hearts III and FFVII...and I'll be happy.

As for Nintendo, no clue what to expect. If they got something big up their sleeves, they better show it now. The fact that they announced the MotionPlus accessory before the conference means they probably have a lot to show and didn't want it to be overshadowed.

Good start to this year's E3!

EDIT: I also want to add that I LOVED the Avatars. Very customizable and it has a great unique style. I prefer it over the Miis especially since you can do a whole lot more with them! I'm digging the new UI as well. It's not too simple, but not overly complex like what HOME looks to be. I'm excited about the tv shows too! Very impressed. I didn't like the Eye Toy and Sing Star rip offs though. The interface for Lips is exactly like SingStar....I wonder if Sony could sue them. LOL.
    Last edited by hemanrep; July 14, 2008 at 04:08pm.

I said this on the IGN boards, but the only thing that can offset the shocking announcement of FFXIII on the 360 is a remake of FFVII exclusively on the PS3.

I fully expect RE5 to be demo'ed at Sony's conference and that should keep it a little bit interesting. I'm really scared for the PS3 right now.

The IGNPS3 podcast mentioned some news about the PSP last week. May be PSP2?

As for Nintendo, no clue what to expect. If they got something big up their sleeves, they better show it now. The fact that they announced the MotionPlus accessory before the conference means they probably have a lot to show and didn't want it to be overshadowed.

Good start to this year's E3!
    Seriously, a FULLY updated FF7 remake and keeping the core KH storyline game on PS3 is really all PS3 would have at this point, unless they have some AMAZING secrets they're holding off on until the conference. Square wants $$$ - they're gonna go wherever it flows from......

Oh crap - totally forgot. God of War 3 better be shown. That's a small saving grace for Sony, but not even close enough to make a dent in the loss of FF exclusivity.....

Would'nt it be a kick in the ass to have KH3 go to the Wii?? But I think Sony fans would have an potty accident if FF7 Remake was announced for PS3, that would certainly counter the attack in a lot of peoples minds

Well they have said three times in recent interviews they did not forget about their "core" and with the annoucement earlier of the "hardcore wiimote" so to speak it makes me think they have more than just Wii Music and other casual games

I really think we will see a Punch Out that uses the balance board, the new wiimote add-on and takes the Wii Boxing controls to the next level

Of course anything else is a mystery since as of right now they have virtually NO games announced for August-December of 2008!! Given the sales of Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, and Super Smash Bros Brawl they are not forced to release more games now but I just cannot see Animal Crossing being the lone game for Christmas.

As long as its not the youtube lovefest it was last year, I expect Nintendo's conference to be mildly entertaining. Certainly expect to see "We are #1" because on Thursday that will come to pass officially, just hope they dont overdo it

I have no idea what Sony has planned, everything I expect would just mean it was E3 2007 Part 2

I don't want any more peripherals. Sorry to hate, but I do NOT want Punch Out to use the balance board. I want a new PO game, but if it uses the balance board, I'm gonna have to say no thanks.

As for Kingdom Hearts III on the Wii, I really want it on the PS3. Seeing everything in HD would be awesome.

On an unrelated note...my cousin just recently purchased a 360 and he called me and said, "Hey, I graduated from the Wii." That was hilarious.