Page 21 of 351 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    2 more commercials. 1 for Blu Ray capacity and 1 for the Cell.

Howdy

Well with regards to the first video: he was saying there would be more of everything except fun and innovation.

With the second video: "is the Cell processor even smarter than you"? Well its not an achievenment to be smarter than a human.

There not bad adverts and at least they are showing the games but are casual gamers really going to care? These are for the hardcore.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003
    Howdy

Well with regards to the first video: he was saying there would be more of everything except fun and innovation.

With the second video: "is the Cell processor even smarter than you"? Well its not an achievenment to be smarter than a human.

There not bad adverts and at least they are showing the games but are casual gamers really going to care? These are for the hardcore.

Chris M
    you know they don't feel like commercials for the gaming audience either - they feel like industry commercials. part of the campaign to get developers to buy the dev kits rather than to get consumers to buy the end product.

on the simpsons scale of wowness I give them both a resounding - meh.

as you said shigsy none of this sounds any fun!

eBay gets strict with PS3 / Wii listings

Online auction house eBay has made a policy clarification regarding the PS3 and Wii pre-orders, so as not to have the same problems that occurred with the Xbox 360 launch (it almost did). Only experienced eBay sellers (with at least 50 feedback and 98% positive rating) can place a PS3 or Wii console for auction before launch, only one console per account, the picture must be of your pre-order receipt, and you can not set a "Buy it Now" option.

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Does anybody know if the DS Wi-Fi adapter will work with the Wii, or will somebody be releasing one specifically designed to work with the Wii?
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1
    Does anybody know if the DS Wi-Fi adapter will work with the Wii, or will somebody be releasing one specifically designed to work with the Wii?
    Howdy

You mean the USB adapter that plugs into a computer? I can't see any reason for it not working. But I haven't heard anything official.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

WHAT A GUY
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1
    Yes it has been stated that the DS wi-fi adaptor will work.

Sweet. Thank you for the info. Where did u see that info by the way?

hey guys, check out these videos of people getting to try out WiiSports.

http://us.wii.com/experience_gallery.jsp

I'd like to single out this particular one though:
    http://us.wii.com/set3_exp02.jsp

Simply because this asian chick is soooooooooo hot.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt
    hey guys, check out these videos of people getting to try out WiiSports.

http://us.wii.com/experience_gallery.jsp

I'd like to single out this particular one though:
    http://us.wii.com/set3_exp02.jsp

Simply because this asian chick is soooooooooo hot.
    Howdy

Those vids are great and very indicitive of what to expect from the Wii.

Yes the Asian lady is very hot

Chris M

Hey, my friend(s) who work at Activision just found out that they get Wii's available to them, so my friend gave me his pre-order from Gamestop! I get to have a Wii at launch! Sweet!

Maybe even cooler is that they get their counsels a week or so early, so I'll get to do some hardcore Wii playin' in before the street date! I'll let you guys know how it goes and maybe get some pictures if I can!

Cool stuff!

-Brett
    Who is all cool beans.

={+}=

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Hey, my friend(s) who work at Activision just found out that they get Wii's available to them, so my friend gave me his pre-order from Gamestop! I get to have a Wii at launch! Sweet!

Maybe even cooler is that they get their counsels a week or so early, so I'll get to do some hardcore Wii playin' in before the street date! I'll let you guys know how it goes and maybe get some pictures if I can!

Cool stuff!

-Brett
    Who is all cool beans.

={+}=
    Howdy

Thats awesome man, you guys will get the Wii before me anyway but to get to play it before release is just to darn lucky

Congrats on getting a Wii pre-order

Chris M

Cool stuff!

-Brett
    Who is all cool beans.

={+}=
    EB Games/Gamestop are rumored to have their playable displays in next week.

Did you mean Consoles or did you really mean counsels? Didn't mean to draw attention to it I know we all talk differently so I was just curious.

Cool stuff!

-Brett
    Who is all cool beans.

={+}=
    Thats awesome. Make sure to tell us what's really good

-Dennis
    Who is happy that Brett gets to play the Wii early, but mad that he has to wait until the 19th

Sonic/Burnout 5

Howdy

News time

[Multi] Emerald coast and killer whale glimpsed

The latest trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog's Xbox 360 and PS3 outing has arrived, giving us a few tantalising glimpses of new gameplay elements. Hit the movies tab above to take a look.

Although much of the trailer is taken up with pre-rendered cutscene footage (shouldn't the actual game look this good by now?) and some clips we've seen before, there are some new bits too. Most excitingly, Sonic can be seen dashing through what appears to be a new Emerald Coast level, complete with the killer whale from Sonic Adventure, although now he grabs it by the dorsal fin to hitch a ride. Looks good to us.

Also spotted among the super-fast jump-cuts is Sonic grinding along the top of the dog robot boss; over 50 robot enemies on-screen at once; Shadow on a motorbike and the massive lava boss towering over our heroes.

We're still hoping the game will be a return to form for Sonic, who turns 15 this year, although we must admit the recent in-development free demo on Xbox Live was a bit ropey. Well, very ropey. We'll bring you more on the hog's anniversary outing as it nears its Christmas Xbox 360 release.

Gamesradar

[Multi] 'Better than any car crash in the movies,' says developer

Burnout 5 will be "like nothing you've ever seen before and better than any car crash in the movies," according to developer Criterion's creative director, Alex Ward, who says that the open-world racing game will have collisions so dramatic they will "rip the car in two".

Ward explains that "it's all about how many bones are in the car. In the last games we made we were able to have 12 or 15 pieces of metal come out of the car" in Burnout's crash sequences. "This time we're looking at 90 to 100 pieces all coming out of the car at any time; all physically simulated."

The latest in the adrenal action series was announced nearly two months ago, but Criterion has revealed little about the new game, other than it will take place in the open-ended, free-roaming Paradise City and will boast some exciting online multiplayer features.

We'll be chasing up Criterion for an in-depth grilling in the near future, so stick with GamesRadar for updates.

Gamesradar

Chris M

Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    EB Games/Gamestop are rumored to have their playable displays in next week.

Did you mean Consoles or did you really mean counsels? Didn't mean to draw attention to it I know we all talk differently so I was just curious.
    I meant consoles.

My friends get their Wii's early because of their employment with Actitivision.

Sorry for the spelling error...

-Brett
    Who was tired.

={+}=

PS3/Wii Pre Orders at TRU

Toys "R" Us said on Thursday that it will begin begin pre-order taking for Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS, Research) Wii video game console on Oct. 29 at its stores.

The toy retailer said a $50 deposit is required to reserve one of the consoles.

Nintendo's Wii will make its U.S. debut on Nov. 19 in what should be a hot holiday season for video game consoles, with Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) PlayStation 3 slated to hit U.S. stores Nov. 17.

But severe shortages are expected for the Wii and the PlayStation 3, as demand outstrips the companies' ability to turn out the new devices.

Earlier this month, GameStop Corp. (GME.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the biggest video game retailer in the United States, stopped taking pre-orders for the Wii the same day it started taking the orders.

"Due to extremely limited supply, we expect to reach our limit very quickly, most likely in minutes. We will not accept additional pre-orders at that time," GameStop said in announcing its pre-order plan.

The Wii, priced at about $250, features a motion-sensing controller that operates like a television remote control and lets players simulate swinging a bat, sword or tennis racquet.

In September, Toys "R" Us included the Wii on its "hot toy" list for the upcoming holiday season.

Nintendo has said it expects to supply 4 million Wii units worldwide by year end. Sony expects to ship 2 million PS3s in the same time period.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; October 26, 2006 at 11:09am.

Wii games for £30

Howdy

[Wii] Far Cry, Mario and Zelda cheap as chips

Many high profile games for Nintendo's soon to be released Wii console will go on sale for less than £30 at the machine's launch, including Far Cry Vengeance, Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

All three games are on sale for £30 with web retailer ChoicesUK.com, and other big games like Call of Duty 3 are priced at an also-reasonable £33.

The bargains don't stop there, either, with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Red Steel, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Splinter Cell Double Agent and Wario Ware: Smooth Moves also offered with a wallet-friendly £30 price tag.

At the £30 price mark, Wii's gaming is perfectly suited to casual gamers

The full retail price for these titles is quoted as £40 but ChoicesUK aren't the only site to give decent discounts, with Play.com also slashing the cost of many Wii games to £33.

With Wii arriving at a more-than-expected £180, it's great to see that the games - which, although boasting motion-sensitive gaming, can't compete with the visual clout of 'true' next-gen titles - will turn up at an impulse-buy price.

Sony 'really sorry' for PS3 delay

[PS3] Euro fate only decided days before being announced

Phil Harrison, Sony's president of worldwide studios, has apologised for the severe delay to the launch of PlayStation 3 in Europe, but reckons that the March release can still be a positive thing.

Harrison has also revealed that the decision to hold back Europe's induction into the PS3 club was only made "literally a few days before we made the announcement," suggesting Sony did everything it could to avoid letting us down.

"We are better to do a launch in two markets, rather than do a diluted launch in all three," Harrison states. Sony "couldn't predict the quantities [of a critical component]" and so "did the analysis and had to make the decision to delay Europe".

In an interview with gaming mag PSM3, Harrison explains that with only one language in Japan, and three in the US, it was easier to focus on those areas. Harrison also proclaimed, "I'm really sorry that we had to delay the launch".

Phil Harrison, gaming's tallest man, hopes that the European delay "will turn into a positive," with more titles and hardware available at launch

Finally, PSM3's grilling brought up a confirmation of Sony's online plans: "As we've said before, it's free. Video chat, voice chat, text chat, web browsing, friend lists - all of that will be free," Harrison stresses, adding that "[Sony's] strategy is to deliver multiplayer gaming free of charge". Although he also mentioned that we may see World of Warcraft-style MMOs that "will require additional fees".

For more from super-tall spokesmouth Phil Harrison, click your way over to PSM3's official blog. Or for the full info-packed interview session pick up issue 81 of PSM3, on sale today for £3.99, which also includes reviews for Canis Canem Edit, Vice City Stories, Splinter Cell Double Agent and Scarface - plus 10 things you've never seen in Lego Star Wars II - and loads more.

www.gamesradar.com

EDIT:

PS3 downloadable games revealed

[PS3] Resident Evil and Tekken 2 available near launch

Resident Evil Director's Cut and Tekken 2 will be two of the first PSone games that you'll be able to download to your PS3, with Sony Japan confirming that Japanese gamers will have access to PS3's online service from day one of the console's launch on 11 November.

Also available at launch is Blast Factor - the first of Sony's twitch-gaming Arcade-a-like downloadables.

Sony's other e-distribution titles, including Flow, Lemmings, Kazuo (also a PSP game) and other puzzle games, will be released as demos for the launch of PS3, with the complete games appearing before the end of the year. Other PSone downloadables will include the Wario Ware-esque Bishi Bashi Special, Arc the Lad, Hot Shots Golf 2, Silent Bomber and Mr Driller, with new games added every month.

PS3's link with PSP will see you able to download PSone games then transfer them across to the handheld. Although, how long it'll take - and what extra gubbins, like software, will be required - is anyone's guess.

Japanese gamers will also be able to access a demo of Ridge Racer 7 from launch day - if Sony has any true feelings of remorse for PS3-starved Euro gamers, expect to see exclusive downloads here, too. Maybe.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/gam...14132311609002

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; October 27, 2006 at 08:48pm.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    If you guys watched this week's episode of IGN Weekly, it unofficially confirms that each console will have 1 friend code instead of having to enter one for each game (which is what the DS does).

This is a GOOD sign! I wish they went the way of gamertags like 360, but anything is better than the DS system.

Futureshop (Best buy in the States) is not doing pre-orders here in Canada
    MattOnDemand.com

Wii Call of Duty 3

Howdy

Coming out alongside Wii-exclusive shooters like Red Steel and Far Cry Vengeance, it might seem that the multiplatform port of Call of Duty 3 has a fight on its hands. But when we got both hands on a level from the game recently, we discovered that it's got plenty of fight in it.

At first we found it hard not to be disappointed that every possible control hasn't been made into a Wii-mote gesture and there aren't sections where you have to clip it to your belt and actually crawl on all fours, but we were soon glad it's been kept simple.

The Wii-mote and Nunchuk controllers make CoD3 on Nintendo's console a very different experience to the other versions

The Nunchuk controls movement with its stick, swaps weapons with a flick to the side, and reloads with an upwards flick. The Wii-mote, of course, points and shoots - and though at first you'll be swinging from ground to sky as crazily as you did when you first tried an FPS with a joypad, with only a little practise you'll realise it's incredibly precise.

With gentle movements there's more of a feeling of control than lurching about with even the best-calibrated sticks, and it helps that CoD3's gameplay often consists of ducking from one cover position to the next rather than all-out blasting.

At its best, when you're peering down the sights of your rifle, the Wii-mote is more responsive than sticks and less hyperactive than a mouse, making it about as realistic a shooter controller as you can get - short of playing with a lightgun. We always knew it would work well with shooters but it feels especially at home in CoD3 when you're crouching in cover (squeezing the Nunchuk trigger changes stances), picking off German snipers across a bombed-out street.

You'll find yourself furiously concentrating on lining your targets up - even though it's not actually that difficult - and it really feels like there's a sense of weight to the Wii-mote... er, even though it's not actually that heavy. Trust us: it's punchy in a way you won't expect, and the ability to twist the Wii-mote to lean out in that direction will have you hunching forwards on the sofa with your breath held like all the best sniper duels in war flicks.

It helps that CoD3 is just as terrifyingly loud and frantic on Wii as on its beefier 360 cousin: even the level layouts are identical, and the only difference is how Wii-mote control will find you picking your fights more carefully. But in situations where there's no time to duck and aim, pulling a machine gun and waving it back and forth like a fire hose can work just as well, or sliding your thumb up to the D-pad to lob a grenade.

Tank levels calls for you to use both controllers as the steering columns

Also making the jump to Wii are the Battle Action scenes - now using gestures instead of button-mashing. Some are perfectly suited, like one that has you using both hands to row a boat upriver, and some are a little more confusing. We got in a hand-to-hand tussle with a German soldier and were instructed to turn both controllers palm-out and alternately pump them back and forth - made even stranger by it not really matching up with the on-screen action.

Overall, Call of Duty 3 is an early showcase for how Wii can transform a game that hasn't even been built from the ground up for the console. If it's a sign of things to come, expect Wii to get some of the most interesting multiplatform versions gaming's ever seen - not to mention some amazing Wii-only shooters.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/gam...27151616468034

Sounds good. I am glad that the Wiimote is making games more interesting than on other consoles.

EDIT: JUST WATCHED THE LATEST IGN WII VIDEO AND THE INTERNAL 512MB MEMORY DOES STORE GAME SAVES

EDIT AGAIN: Halo 3 Details Revealed

Yes, the new vehicles, new weapons and a Legendary edition that comes packaged with a Spartan helmet all make us giggle in anticipation of Halo 3, Bungie's upcoming epic sequel on the Xbox 360. But of all the new details swirling from multiple online sites today, it's the new Brutish Spike Grenade that has us trigger-happy. "Spike Grenade." We are not sure what it is, but the images it conjures in our minds mean that someone is going to get hurt. Hurt bad.

As revealed today on 1Up.com, in the December issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly Bungie will reveal a host of new gameplay details, as well as the news that Halo 3 will have not only a collector's edition but a legendary edition as well. Along with bonus DVDs of content, the package will come with a replica Spartan helmet. Starting to sweat? We haven't even started on the weapons.

The Brutes will be armed with Spike Grenades and Spike Rifles. The grenades are said to stick to walls and explode into a vicious blast of sharp projectiles. There's also word on a new Spartan Laser, a difficult-to-control but powerful attack that can disable vehicles in a single hit. Pwned!

The Mongoose will also be included, the two-man vehicle that was originally slated to be included in Halo 2. The Mongoose has no weapons, reportedly, and it is designed for speed. That doesn't mean the passenger can't wreak havoc with the newly designed assault rifle, though. Or maybe it does.

Halo 3 will obviously feature new multiplayer maps. New maps Valhalla, Snowbound and High Ground are being compared to Blood Gulch, Zanzibar and Frostbite, respectively. Halo and Halo 2 enabled 16 players to vie on System Link and Xbox Live, respectively. But we still don't know how many players will be able to jump online at one time. We're hoping Bungie has plans to compete with the PS3's Resistance and 40-player action. Just imagine.

In terms of control, the X button is said to change the way you play Halo. Mum is the word from Bungie. We only know that the bumpers are now used to reload, and the left bumper will reload a secondary weapon, if equipped.

There is also said to be a kind of cannon that will shoot players across the map. You can shoot enemies in the air and they can shoot you. This should put to work the new movie maker that allows you to capture clips of you shooting newbs in the head. We'll have more details on Halo 3 soon.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/742/742313p1.html

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; October 29, 2006 at 06:24am.

Yeah but how long is that internal memory gonna last. Not long I bet. Some of my GC saves were pretty big. Heck even Pokemon Box required it's own memory card, so much so that it came with one. Animal Crossing was a big file too if I remember, etc. The VC games won't be too big going, on the size of roms so that's probably more so what it would be used for. And I'm sure messages won't take up hardly any space.

Dedham, Mass. 1 AM. 43 degrees Fahrenheit (6 Celsius). A sturdy bunch of New Englanders are braving the near freezing overnight temperatures for their chance to pre-order a Wii and/or PS3 at Toys R Us tomorrow morning. All those that arrive are greeted by a sign stating there will be 8 PS3 pre-orders and 20 of the Wii. The 8 PS3 people are already in line and most of them are doubling up on the Wii, they've been told by management that's OK. They've been told that somebody may show up at 4 AM to hand out pieces of paper to confirm their spot, but they'll have to wait and see if that's true. Oh, did we mention that the clocks get turned back an hour tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88 View Post
    Oh, did we mention that the clocks get turned back an hour tonight?
    LOL oh yeah, that really sucks!!!
    MattOnDemand.com

Heroic Warrior
    I hope it's worth it. What drives people to "camp out" at retailers for a video game system that will be everywhere in 6 months time? I don't want to be the first one to play it that bad...
    Last edited by mytzlplyk!; October 30, 2006 at 05:24pm. Reason: spelling
    I knew it all along. His father welled up with pride when they told him he could have TWO breads, then we all ran behind the house.

That's all I got...

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mytzlplyk! View Post
    I hope it's worth it. What drives poeple to "camp out" at retailers for a video game system that will be everywhere in 6 months time? I don't want to be the first one to play it that bad...
    Well, I guess they must want the systems REALLY BADLY. lol.

I couldn't see myself camping out for them. Esspecially not with it being so friggin cold outside.

I guess if I had nothing better to do, had the free time, and maybe had a friend or two to hang out with to keep me company and just kind of be in it for the fun of the mission, AND if the temperature was good, reasonable, and comfortable, I could maybe see myself camping out. And even under those circumstances, I'm still not sure that I would do it. Let alone with freezing temperatures, etc.

No matter how well you try to keep warm, you will likely still begin to get cold and freeze to some degree, and then likely get sick as a result. As much as I may want a new game system, I don't want to risk my health over it.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

We're under 3 weeks now until the launch of the Wii and PS3
    Last edited by D-Day V1; October 30, 2006 at 01:34am.