Page 23 of 351 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Official Wii Launch Line up Inc. VC

Nintendo has blasted out a list confirming the 32 Wii and 30 Virtual Console games (spanning five consoles) that will be available in the five weeks between the system's November 19th launch and the end of 2006. We're not sure exactly which games may not make that November 19th launch date, but it seems reasonable to presume the VC games will be there on launch day, previously dated titles like Zelda, and the 530 GameCube titles they're eager to remind us will work from the get go.

Nintendo does remind us that "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess emerges [Ed. will emerge?] as this season's video game masterpiece." Hey, way to throw that third party trash to the curb! We agree it stands head and shoulders above some of the more forgettable entries filling up this list (we're sure Happy Feet will be a slightly less impressive masterpiece), but it's nice to see them being so candid about it. Check out the entire list after the break, and let us know if there's anything missing that we thought would be there. We'll start: Ubisoft's forgettable WWII dogfighter, Blazing Angels. It came out for the Xbox 360 in March, was confirmed by Ubisoft to be a launch window game in August, was again confirmed by Nintendo to be a launch title in September, and now it's evidently missing. What's up?

Activision

* Call of Duty 3
    * Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    * Rapala Tournament Fishing
    * Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
    * World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions

Atari

* Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

Atlus

* Trauma Center: Second Opinion

EA

* Madden NFL '07
    * Need for Speed: Carbon

Konami

* Elebits

Midway

* Happy Feet
    * Rampage: Total Destruction
    * The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Ant Bully

Sega

* Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

SNK

* Metal Slug Anthology

Tecmo

* Super Swing Golf

THQ

* Barnyard
    * Cars
    * SpongeBob SquarePants: The Creature from the Krusty Krab

Ubisoft

* Far Cry: Vengeance
    * GT Pro Series
    * Monster 4X4 World Circuit
    * Open Season
    * Rayman Raving Rabbids
    * Red Steel
    * Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

Vivendi

* Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

In addition to these new titles, Nintendo is making the greatest video game archive in history available for download to its Virtual Console. NES games start at 500 Wii Points, Super NES games start at 800 Wii Points and Nintendo 64 games start at 1,000 Wii Points. Sega Genesis games start at 800 Wii Points and TurboGrafx16 games start at 600 Wii Points. Wii Points can be purchased online or at retail at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points. Before the end of December, the following titles will be available:

NES -- start at $5

* Mario Bros.
    * The Legend of Zelda
    * Donkey Kong
    * Donkey Kong Jr.
    * Ice Hockey
    * Pinball
    * Soccer
    * Tennis
    * Urban Champion
    * Wario's Woods
    * Baseball
    * Solomon's Key

SNES -- start at $8

* F-Zero
    * SimCity

N64 -- start at $10

* Super Mario 64

Sega Genesis -- start at $8

* Sonic the Hedgehog
    * Altered Beast
    * Golden Axe
    * Columns
    * Ecco the Dolphin
    * Gunstar Heroes
    * Space Harrier II
    * Toe Jam & Earl
    * Ristar
    * Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

TurboGrafx16 -- start at $6

* Bonk's Adventure
    * Super Star Soldier
    * Victory Run
    * Bomberman '93
    * Dungeon Explorer

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/01/wi...s-30-vc-games/

Heres the Japanese VC line up, maybe a bit of foreshadowing?

Japanese Virtual Console games:

* Famicom (NES) -- 500 points (500 yen) each
    * Ice Hockey (Nintendo)
    * Urban Champion (Nintendo)
    * Legend of Kage (Taito)
    * Gradius (Konami)
    * Go-moku Narabe (Nintendo)
    * Soccer (Nintendo)
    * Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
    * Xevious (Bandai Namco)
    * Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
    * Solomon's Key (Tecmo)
    * Tennis (Nintendo)
    * Donkey Kong (Nintendo)
    * Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo)
    * Ninja Jajamaru-kun (Jaleco)
    * Pinball (Nintendo)
    * Baseball (Nintendo)
    * Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
    * Wario's Woods (Nintendo)

Super Famicom (SNES) - 800 points unless otherwise noted

* F-Zero (Nintendo)
    * R-Type III (Irem)
    * Super Castlevania IV (Konami)
    * Contra III (Konami)
    * Sim City (Nintendo): 900
    * Street Fighter II (Capcom)
    * Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo)
    * Super Mario World (Nintendo)
    * Zelda: Link to the Past (Nintendo): 900
    * Fire Emblem: Monsho no Nazo (Nintendo) 900
    * Mario Super Picross (Nintendo)

Nintendo 64 (1000 points or 1000 yen)

* Super Mario 64 (Nintendo)

Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) - 600 points or 600 yen

* Ecco The Dolphin (Sega)
    * Gunstar Heroes (Sega)
    * Golden Axe (Sega)
    * Columns (Sega)
    * Shadow Dancer (Sega)
    * Altered Beast (Sega)
    * Space Harrier II (Sega)
    * Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
    * Toejam and Earl (Sega)
    * Puyo Puyo (Sega)
    * Ristar (Sega)

PC Engine (TG-16, 600 points)

* Bonk's Adventure (Hudson)
    * Necromancer (Hudson)
    * Super Star Soldier (Hudson)
    * New Adventure Island (Hudson)
    * Dungeon Explorer (Hudson)
    * Battle Lode Runner (Hudson)
    * Victory Run (Hudson)
    * Bomberman '94 (Hudson)

http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/10/...gets_way_.html
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; November 1, 2006 at 12:01pm.

Man, why is N64 getting shafted?

Plus, I hope Final Fantasy VI (FF3 for SNES) and Super Mario RPG show up for the SNES section.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt View Post
    Man, why is N64 getting shafted?
    Well, its not like the SNES selection is looking much better.

Besides, N64's game selection wasn't up to par with that of NES and SNES, and as a result, the really worthwhile games were rather few and far between. So, they probably don't want to release everything all at once.
    Plus, the N64 is more recent than NES or SNES. There's probably a greater likelyhood of people still have N64 systems than NES or SNES (at least functioning ones). So, it makes sense to release more of the older stuff first.
    I'm sure we will see more N64 options as time goes on.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Wii Unboxed

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ker360/4-3.jpg

**Brett edit...I had to change the picture to a link. It was too big **

More photos after the Jump.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...ser=adolfobaja

And so it begins...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5303669

No Wii for you if it's not White.

In a recent interview with respected Japanese gaming publication Nintendo Dream, Nintendo's Planning General Manager Mitsuaki Hagishima stated that there are no plans to release the Wii in other colours than the default white model.

This will prove to be disheartening to those who hoped that there would be a wide variation of Nintendo Wii colored units to choose from...which is sadly not the case. The decisive reason being that Nintendo wishes for their product to be instantaneously recognizable, much like Apple’s Mac.

Though all is not lost for those gamers who wish to differentiate themselves from the masses, as Nintendo is set to release its Wiimote controller in a variation of colors. The reason for this is that after a chaotic multiplayer session, players will easily be able to locate and retrieve their own personal Wii controller, according to GoNext. This should put a stop to any petty arguments that could occur.

http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/103...lor_variations
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; November 1, 2006 at 02:12pm.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88 View Post

You seem to be hung up about this whole colour thing. It's quite simple, if you don't want a white one, don't buy one and wait until the other colours are out. For a guy who keeps bashing the system you seem like you want one pretty bad.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    Well, that does stink, but you could probably find some of those game skins eventually. I believe seeing something somewhere about some nice game skins for Xbox 360 that pretty much cover the whole system and make it black. It's possible that something like that could come out for Wii.

As it is, while I would probably prefer black over white, I still don't mind the white. I mean, at least it's a nuetral color, and not something like that purplish-blue color (indigo being the name) that Gamecube used to come in.

At the end of the day, I just want a system that works and plays the games well. It could look like a horse's butt, and I would still buy it so long as it played the games properly and with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    You seem to be hung up about this whole colour thing. It's quite simple, if you don't want a white one, don't buy one and wait until the other colours are out. For a guy who keeps bashing the system you seem like you want one pretty bad.
    If you read the thread at all then you would know this already.

I already stated I wanted it in Black and would wait till it came out in Black. And #2 Nowhere in this thread or any other have I said I wasn't gonna buy a Wii nor that I didn't want one. #3 I don't bash the Wii anymore than I do the 360 and Sony, I tend to be the only one who sticks up for Sony or I was till recently. And if you look at most my posts aside from Shigsy and HemanRep and a couple others most of the Wii information comes from me.

When Nintendo revealed the system to us it was Black with Blue light and called the revolution. That's the system I first saw that's the system I want.

So Nintendo can make controls 5 different colors but they can't make a system other than white. Why?

"The decisive reason being that Nintendo wishes for their product to be instantaneously recognizable, much like Apple’s Mac."

Hmm ok. News flash Apple products come in different colors. I can't remember if it was in this thread where some one said all the displays said Wii and only Nintendo in 1 spot cause Nintendo didn't want the Wii to be associated with the name Nintendo cause they didn't want negative feelings about the N64 and GC to come into play when potential customers (casual) see the Wii in stores. Well to me the name Nintendo would be more recognizable than the way a product looks. And they are making it look like an apple product that's small and a box uhm, ok. They should try to make it their own identity not look the same as something else that's sharing shelf space with it. It's called the Itv. And geuss what it's white and glossy and looks like an apple product. Rightfully so.

Making things in different colors esp systems and accessories is a Nintendo thing. Going back to the Nintendo Play it loud Gameboys. Heck even before that Zelda with the Gold limited edition cartridges.

Colors are their thing. So much so that E3 they showed 5 colored systems. So no it's not too much to ask for them to at least give us an option. They can't come out with a color for the US but Japan can get 20 versions of a system. Pepsi colors/A new color for new first party game/ or a new color with a Pokemon tatoo on it or FFIII art, etc. Come on seriously. I don't know why some people act like asking for it in black as it was originally presented to the world is asking for the moon.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; November 1, 2006 at 05:40pm.

WHAT A GUY
    lol Cartman feels the same way i do...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ocidfeed&hl=en

that was hilarious.
    MattOnDemand.com

I just thought of a question that I don't think has been adressed, but is somewhat important.

I know that we are getting all sorts of colours for the Wii-mote, but have they said anything about having an assortment of colours for the nunchuk as well? It would look pretty dumb to have a pink wii-mote with a white nunchuk don't you think?

Just wondering if they mentioned anything on this. It will definitely influence my decision on wii-mote colours. If there is only a white nunchuk, I will only get white Wii-motes. But if they have matching colours, then I might just mix it up a bit.

Also, I've heard that a game called Wii-Play will have a controller packed with it. First, I assume it's just the wii-mote and not the nunchuk, right? Also, how much will it cost? And most importantly, will it be available in the US (or more importantly Canada)? I have only seen it mentioned but nothing really official.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by WHAT A GUY View Post
    lol Cartman feels the same way i do...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ocidfeed&hl=en
    That episode last night was awesome! I was cracking up at it.
    I can't wait to see what happens next week (since it was to be continued). We'll see if Cartman gets to play the Wii.

Making things in different colors esp systems and accessories is a Nintendo thing. Going back to the Nintendo Play it loud Gameboys. Heck even before that Zelda with the Gold limited edition cartridges.

Colors are their thing. So much so that E3 they showed 5 colored systems. So no it's not too much to ask for them to at least give us an option. They can't come out with a color for the US but Japan can get 20 versions of a system. Pepsi colors/A new color for new first party game/ or a new color with a Pokemon tatoo on it or FFIII art, etc. Come on seriously. I don't know why some people act like asking for it in black as it was originally presented to the world is asking for the moon.
    It does seem odd that Nintendo isn't offering other color choices.

However, part of the reason why they may not be offering alternate colors is to get away from the way from their pre-exsiting image with N64 and GCN, but like why they aren't putting the Nintendo logo all over the system.

Though, it would stand to reason that maybe offering the system in basic nuetral colors like white, black, and silver would be reasonable options. I can understand not doing purple or green or something, but some options would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    I know that we are getting all sorts of colours for the Wii-mote, but have they said anything about having an assortment of colours for the nunchuk as well? It would look pretty dumb to have a pink wii-mote with a white nunchuk don't you think?

Just wondering if they mentioned anything on this. It will definitely influence my decision on wii-mote colours. If there is only a white nunchuk, I will only get white Wii-motes. But if they have matching colours, then I might just mix it up a bit.
    That's a good question. I, for one, am not sure. It would stand to reason that they would release the nunchuks in alternate colors. However, maybe they won't as it would create and issue of having the right color nunchuk for the right color controller. I mean, even if they ship them in 'pairs' to the stores so that for each color of controller there is a matching nunchuk for each controller, you know some ya-who is going to decide to get one color of controller and another color of nunchuk, thus messing up that plan.

They should have just simply made the controller and nunchuk come together. You're pretty much going to need both parts anyway.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    You know what, I also wanted the Wii in black but this won't stop me from buying it. At the end of the day the colour is only cosmetic. I'm buying the system to play and not stare endlessly at it becuase of its colour.

By the way, it does seems you only bash the Wii and praise Sony. At least, that's what it seems like.

If you read the thread at all then you would know this already.

I already stated I wanted it in Black and would wait till it came out in Black. And #2 Nowhere in this thread or any other have I said I wasn't gonna buy a Wii nor that I didn't want one. #3 I don't bash the Wii anymore than I do the 360 and Sony, I tend to be the only one who sticks up for Sony or I was till recently. And if you look at most my posts aside from Shigsy and HemanRep and a couple others most of the Wii information comes from me.

When Nintendo revealed the system to us it was Black with Blue light and called the revolution. That's the system I first saw that's the system I want.

So Nintendo can make controls 5 different colors but they can't make a system other than white. Why?

"The decisive reason being that Nintendo wishes for their product to be instantaneously recognizable, much like Apple’s Mac."

Hmm ok. News flash Apple products come in different colors. I can't remember if it was in this thread where some one said all the displays said Wii and only Nintendo in 1 spot cause Nintendo didn't want the Wii to be associated with the name Nintendo cause they didn't want negative feelings about the N64 and GC to come into play when potential customers (casual) see the Wii in stores. Well to me the name Nintendo would be more recognizable than the way a product looks. And they are making it look like an apple product that's small and a box uhm, ok. They should try to make it their own identity not look the same as something else that's sharing shelf space with it. It's called the Itv. And geuss what it's white and glossy and looks like an apple product. Rightfully so.

Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

The New Zelda TP videos

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    You know what, I also wanted the Wii in black but this won't stop me from buying it. At the end of the day the colour is only cosmetic. I'm buying the system to play and not stare endlessly at it becuase of its colour.
    Very well said. I also prefer black (or silver ), but at the end of the day, it's just the color and I MUST have Zelda the day it comes out. No "ands, if's, or buts."

Have you guys seen the latest trailer?? AMAZING.

Oh and is anyone playing FFXII? This game is awesome too. I haven't played a game this good in a very long time. And to think, Zelda and FFXII releasing in a span of three weeks betweent them. Is 2006 the best year for games or what?!!!

New Wii SSBB trailer.

The new character... Fox McCloud of StarFox.

I thought they weren't going to reveal a new character?

Here's Cartman waiting outside of EV Games for the Wii!

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/01/so...ristmas-times/

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I thought they weren't going to reveal a new character?
    They didn't Fox has been in both the previous games. That's like saying Marios in it and expecting people to be suprised.

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/1272/2/

The only thing anyone needs to read about Twilight Princess:

If Twilight Princess manages to uphold the level of quality seen in its opening hours for the entire duration of the adventure, it will unquestionably go down as one of the greats. Imagine Ocarina of Time, but polished and expanded and refined and generally perfected: that's what Twilight Princess feels like so far.

Hey guys, I was wondering how the Gamecube memory card works. I know it says on the package how many blocks it takes to save for a particular game, but lets say I want to save for two files. Would it be double what it says on the package? Or is it always what it says on the package?

Basically, no matter what you do, are you only going to take up 12 blocks for Wind Waker?

I ask this because I'm planning on getting GC games for when I get the Wii (I have no Gamecube now), and would like to know if the small memory card will do (251 blocks), or if I'll have to get the large one (1019 blocks). I have a list of about 30 games I'd like to get. Any advice? How far does 251 blocks go?

----

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=148658

Saw this on another forum. They say that you can use the GC controller for Virtual Console games, but can't use the VC controller for GC games. Kind of disapointing, but I also heard that the L and R buttons on the VC controller are not analog, like the GC controller is apparently (haven't used it before ). That might be the reason. Also not sure how reliable the site is too. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

You know Pan, I was going to upgrade to a 1019 block card a little while ago, but my 251 card lasted me 5 years and I haven't needed anymore, so I'd say go for that one. However, Gamecube stuff should be coming down in price soon, so you can't go wrong with the 1019 one.

Also keep in mind, that each game varies on how many blocks it takes.

MVP Baseball 2K5 needs (i think) more than half the card, so you'll be better off getting the higher one.

Definitely go for the official Nintendo mem cards though. I don't trust the third-party products.

And yes, regardless of how many saved games for Wind Waker you have, it will take 12.
    MattOnDemand.com

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt View Post
    You know Pan, I was going to upgrade to a 1019 block card a little while ago, but my 251 card lasted me 5 years and I haven't needed anymore, so I'd say go for that one. However, Gamecube stuff should be coming down in price soon, so you can't go wrong with the 1019 one.

Also keep in mind, that each game varies on how many blocks it takes.

MVP Baseball 2K5 needs (i think) more than half the card, so you'll be better off getting the higher one.

Definitely go for the official Nintendo mem cards though. I don't trust the third-party products.

And yes, regardless of how many saved games for Wind Waker you have, it will take 12.

Okay, so essentially whatever it says on the package is how many blocks it will take up no matter what. I'm trying to find a site that has the number of blocks each game takes up, but the best I got so far was nintendo's official site, but they only have it for about 2/3 of the games on my list.

I also noticed that a game like NHL 2005 takes up about 50 blocks, which is quite a bit. But I guess sports games and the like need to take up more memory. Lucky for me that those games aren't on my list since I will just get the latest ones on the Wii (assuming they make a hockey game for the Wii next year).

I was also going to ask about getting a third party one since there's such a difference in price. I'd prefer an official nintendo product, but the difference in price has me on the fence.

Thanks for the advice. If the number of blocks for the games on my list fits comfortably under 251 (in case I decide to get other games later), then I'll go for that one. Otherwise it will probably be the 1019.

well here are the games I own and how many blocks they require:

Soul Calibur 2 - 4 blocks
    Viewtiful Joe - 4 blocks
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - 11 blocks (without snapshots)
    Phantasy Star Online - 28 blocks
    Pac-Man Vs./Pac-Man World 2 - 16 blocks
    Mario Kart: Double Dash - 3-8 blocks
    Crazy Taxi - (box doesn't say--too lazy to boot it up lol)
    Bomberman Generation - 3
    Mario Party 5 - 5
    Star Fox Adventures - 3
    Prince of Persia: Sands of time - 15
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - 4 (ubisoft must of found some compression technique)
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - 20 (guess I was wrong)
    The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition - 36 (total for all 4 games)
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest - 15
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 12

if you are not getting any of those, then all is not lost. I still had fun writing all that out.
    MattOnDemand.com

Thanks for the list. Here's what I have so far:

Batman Begins ..............................................6
    Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu .................................2
    Batman Vengeance
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone ....................9
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets .......5
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban .......4
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ....................5
    Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ...................12
    Legends of Wrestling II
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ....................4
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ....................6
    Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!! .................................8
    Metroid Prime ..............................................2
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ....................15
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within .....................4
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones ....................20
    Spider-Man: The Movie ..................................2
    Spider-Man 2
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast ....................27
    Super Mario Sunshine ..................................7
    Super Paper Mario
    Superman: Shadow of Apokolips ......................4
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Battle Nexus
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Nightmare........1
    Ultimate Spider-Man ..................................15
    X-Men Legends ...............................................26
    X-Men Legends II
    X-Men 3: The Official Game
    X2: Wolverine’s Revenge ...................................4

TOTAL .................................................. ............188

Hopefully the last 10 games will only take up about 50, giving me some room to play with for additional games. I figure X-Men: Legends II will take up a good chunk since the first one did, and probably LOTR: The Third Age too. The rest should be pretty small.

I did some more searching and couldn't find any site that has them all. I think I'll put it up on a few message boards and see what I get. So for anybody else here, hopefully you can fill in some blanks and/or confirm what I have here (as I've already got some contradicting info). Thanks.

Circuit City PS3 Event

Looks like Circuit City won't have any PS3 shortages since they are giving over a hundred away and each location in the event is guaranteed to have at least 100 on stock.

http://www.circuitcity.com/image/Cat...s3/tourbox.jpg

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categ...!1162753157587

***Please read forum rules about image sizes***