Page 242 of 351 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 8757

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    i'm so hoping those cut scenes in the punch-out! video are used for some kind of training mode
    you and me both!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Update from GDC, there is a new Wii update that allows you to utilize the SD Card

You cannot run things directly off the SD Card but you can use bigger SD cards (Nintendo confirmed it works with up to 32GB SD Cards) and its faster access so it works the same way as GHWT and Rock Band 2 in temp copying what you want to play into system memory then deleting it when you are done.

Not a big issue because if you have a 2-32gb SD card why would you need to fill up your internal hard drive with games? I can still see some people upset, wonder what the big deal is with allowing a simple USB hard drive since they are super cheap now

What the heck are we going to need 32gb cards for unless there is some Sega Saturn emulation coming

other items of interest

-Final Fantasy coming to the Virtual Console, followed by others in the series over time
    -Sequel to FF My Life as a King announced for Wii Ware FF: My Life As a Darklord
    -FFIV After Years coming to Wii Ware (enhanced version of the multi part cell phone game from JP)
    -Virtual Arcade announced, I guess third parties will have to support this one as I dont know many Arcade games made by Nintendo besides Donkey Kong

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Update from GDC, there is a new Wii update that allows you to utilize the SD Card

You cannot run things directly off the SD Card but you can use bigger SD cards (Nintendo confirmed it works with up to 32GB SD Cards) and its faster access so it works the same way as GHWT and Rock Band 2 in temp copying what you want to play into system memory then deleting it when you are done.

Not a big issue because if you have a 2-32gb SD card why would you need to fill up your internal hard drive with games? I can still see some people upset, wonder what the big deal is with allowing a simple USB hard drive since they are super cheap now

What the heck are we going to need 32gb cards for unless there is some Sega Saturn emulation coming

other items of interest

-Final Fantasy coming to the Virtual Console, followed by others in the series over time
    -Sequel to FF My Life as a King announced for Wii Ware FF: My Life As a Darklord
    -FFIV After Years coming to Wii Ware (enhanced version of the multi part cell phone game from JP)
    -Virtual Arcade announced, I guess third parties will have to support this one as I dont know many Arcade games made by Nintendo besides Donkey Kong

Also don't forget the announcement of "The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks" for DS!

I'm confused on the whole SD slot thing - some sites are reporting that with the 4.0 update you CAN load games (VC/WiiWare) directly from the card, and some say you can't. I thought at the keynote that someone demonstrated this by loading Zelda 2 directly from the card. Must find clarification! Though until the Homebrewers figure out the workarounds, I won't be updating.....

Updates on the FF stuff

FFIV: The After (Wii Ware)

18 years after Final Fantasy IV first stole the hearts of Japanese gamers, the adventure continues in Final Fantasy IV: The Years After.

The game focuses primarily on Ceodore, son of Final Fantasy IV heroes Cecil and Rosa. He is ably supported by a host of familiar faces from the original cast who star in a series of additional tales.

FF My Life as a Dark Lord

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord puts players in the highly fashionable shoes of the Darklord's daughter, a malevolent little Miss, charged with dispatching intruding do-gooders by strategically placing traps and monsters around the tower she calls home.

Players will need to get their hands on ever more diabolical traps and abominable monsters to stop those pesky adventurers from making it to the Dark Crystal at the top of the tower. Be warned, though – with heroes of all the races and job classes from the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series storming the Darklord’s lair in real time, traps and minions will count for nothing unless deployed like a true evil genius. Anything less and the Darklord’s beloved home will be reduced to rubble!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Also don't forget the announcement of "The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks" for DS!
    The screens from the game look neat, it looks like we are talking the world of Phantom Hourglass/Wind Waker and going into the forest. And Link supposedly will have the ability to command beings when he fights (I guess ala Tales of Symphonia 2 or Pokemon?)

I'm confused on the whole SD slot thing - some sites are reporting that with the 4.0 update you CAN load games (VC/WiiWare) directly from the card, and some say you can't. I thought at the keynote that someone demonstrated this by loading Zelda 2 directly from the card. Must find clarification! Though until the Homebrewers figure out the workarounds, I won't be updating.....
    There is a lot of confusion I think, it seems to create a SD card channel that holds temp information so that while its loading off the card directly its basically copying it (transparently) to this channel then clearing it when you are done (just like what happens in GHWT and RB2 Wii with DLC tracks). Most people won't notice it because the firmware also speeds up SD copying times and enables SDHC which by nature is faster.

Homebrew still works fine, as long as you make sure you have some room on your Wii and do not select the "auto move" option. Nintendo has never been able to stop Homebrew from working, just from being installed. This update changes IOS16 which apparently blocks you from downgrading your firmware, so pretty soon they will have go figure a new way to get Homebrew on there if you were not fortunate enough to get it done long ago when things were still wide open.

People at gaf are still saying all the HBC stuff works fine, those who kept a lot of stuff on their Wii (why when you can now use the SD card) and choose to have Nintendo automatically make room said their HBC is gone.

I updated this afternoon and everything HBC still works, FCEU (NES Emulator), VBA GX (Gameboy Emulator), Gecko OS and Scumm VM all work fine. The SD Card speed in the Wii menu has increased a crapload, games move over fast so even if its not running it purely off the card it feels like it is

IGN also playtested Punch Out and here are their impressions

only have four fights to go by in the game's very simplified "Minor Title" circuit, but in this hands-on it's clear that Next Level's nailed it. This is true Punch-Out!!, 15 years later and designed with current gaming standards in mind.

The first fight in the demo kicks off just like classic Punch-Out!!: a fight against Glass Joe, the brittle boxer who'll hit the canvas faster than a dropped sack of flour. The Wii rendition of Glass Joe has changed from a generic, weak white guy to a baguette-loving Frenchman who speaks in fluent Pepe le Pew dialect. Fight two features the return of Von Kaiser, an old-timey fisticuffs boxer who clearly has issues of being abused as a child – pummel him repeatedly and he'll cower into a shell calling for his Mommy. Literally. A new character returns for Fight Number Three: Disco Kid. His grinning anime-inspired smirk was a joy to smash, and he swishes his backside before big attacks with the dancing skills of a young John Travolta. The final bout was against the immense King Hippo, who had the same attack patterns as he did in the NES: nail him in the face, then pound him in his bandaged gut to weaken him severely.

The darkened arena surrounding the ring bristles with life, and we're sure we caught a glimpse of a joke or two in the sea of the crowd. The characters lip sync all their dialogue, of which there's a ton of well-acted sound bites. Doc Louis is incredibly charming as your ringside coach and offers the same level of advice, both useful and useless, all voice acted. He even hilariously asks you to join the Nintendo Fun Club before correcting himself, advertising Club Nintendo instead.

before the fights players are offered a bit of character backstory for each of the fighters through detailed, non-animating comic book-style cutscenes.

Though I was reluctant to test the motion controls, I gave them a shot. And I actually wasn't disappointed. The motion sensing is extremely responsive, and it's simply used for right hand/left hand punches – it's not trying to recognize direction or strength.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Journey fans rejoice! "Don't Stop Believing" confirmed for Rock Band DLC either on 3/31 or 4/7. (Confirmed at the www.RockGamer.com GDC party)

Be warned, there's a bit of language in the video

The alternative Wii 4.0 firmware/storage update is now available for those who do not want to update via Nintendo and have Homebrew

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    The alternative Wii 4.0 firmware/storage update is now available for those who do not want to update via Nintendo and have Homebrew
    Is this needed for anyone using the Homebrew channel?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Is this needed for anyone using the Homebrew channel?
    It depends, if you ever want to use the Wii Shop Channel again you will have to either do the update from Nintendo or the alternative update that is out

The Nintendo update does not break Homebrew, but just like all the others keeps it from being installed if you did not have it before and patches some of the missing gaps that have remained open. Some apps need to be re-coded but so far everything I use functioned last night after I did it.

I updated via Nintendo and Gecko OS, FCE, SNES9x, VBA GX, Scumm VM, and the media player all still worked fine as did the Homebrew Channel itself.

if you do not care about using the Wii Shop Channel (it will not let you access it till you have 4.0 somehow) or the new SD card functionality (SDHC cards for future games for example) then you can keep things as they are

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...pril-1/1300867

Oh boy... the PS2 has dropping in price to $99.99. As nice as that is, I don't think that the PS system that most people were hoping to get cheaper really soon.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...pril-1/1300867

Oh boy... the PS2 has dropping in price to $99.99. As nice as that is, I don't think that the PS system that most people were hoping to get cheaper really soon.
    I had to laugh at that this morning since a lot of game sites were hyping up a big Sony announcement today, but we all knew about this price cut last week when the K-Mart ad got released showing the change

What would be hilarious to me is if this price drop on the PS2 caused it to sell more than the PS3 next month (not that it would be hard since the difference in the last two months was about 100k), it would just reiterate how stupid a decision it was to remove BC from the PS3

Hi,

I´ve seen a couple of videos of the gameplay of Batman Arkham Asylum, and it looks awesome, and I was wondering if there´s any news about a demo on the XBLIVE, because I just found out that there´s going to be a collector´s edition, which I´m thinking in buying but I would like to play the game first before I spend $100 on it

Later...
    Have You Ever Felt the True Power of the Cosmo?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Hi,

I´ve seen a couple of videos of the gameplay of Batman Arkham Asylum, and it looks awesome, and I was wondering if there´s any news about a demo on the XBLIVE, because I just found out that there´s going to be a collector´s edition, which I´m thinking in buying but I would like to play the game first before I spend $100 on it

Later...
    There is no firm release date for a demo but one should be coming, there was a playable demo last week at GDC so it would not be hard to get one on XBL before launch

it would just reiterate how stupid a decision it was to remove BC from the PS3
    I have to agree with this. Realy glad I got a 60gb with full BC.

Can anyone tell me what's supposed to be so great about the new DSi? I've read the specifications for what's supposed to be different. But, from what I've read it sounds like the DSi is really not that much of an upgrade, to me it sounds like a downgrade from the DS. It's a little thinner, has screens that are a little bigger, sound that's a little better and a camera. But, the battery life has been decreased and it's backwards compatibility is gone. And now some of the accessories sold for the DS that were made to use in the GBA slot will be useless? That sounds like a bunch of crap to me. The only really big upgrade is the camera and honestly why would you want that on your handheld gaming system?
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Quote Originally Posted by gnewton34 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what's supposed to be so great about the new DSi? I've read the specifications for what's supposed to be different. But, from what I've read it sounds like the DSi is really not that much of an upgrade, to me it sounds like a downgrade from the DS. It's a little thinner, has screens that are a little bigger, sound that's a little better and a camera. But, the battery life has been decreased and it's backwards compatibility is gone. And now some of the accessories sold for the DS that were made to use in the GBA slot will be useless? That sounds like a bunch of crap to me. The only really big upgrade is the camera and honestly why would you want that on your handheld gaming system?
    Actually its considered a stealth sequel to DS. Apparently its CPU, ram are four times the power, yes the sounds is alot better, abit bigger screens. GDC announcements already state DSI only carts, DSI enabled bonus carts. Sounds like this next DS for nintendo for a few years. Yes its lacking any killer DSI games at the moment, early on it may be alot about non gaming apps, gimmicky camera stuff but I bet some killer epic games are coming too.

Quote Originally Posted by gnewton34 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what's supposed to be so great about the new DSi? I've read the specifications for what's supposed to be different. But, from what I've read it sounds like the DSi is really not that much of an upgrade, to me it sounds like a downgrade from the DS. It's a little thinner, has screens that are a little bigger, sound that's a little better and a camera. But, the battery life has been decreased and it's backwards compatibility is gone.
    DSiWare is available and there are big rumors (almost confirmed last week) about the Virtual Console being available to DSi users. Technically it can also play GBA games via emulation, so should the Virtual Console be revealed it could just add those games in being stored on the SD Card (of course that screws people who already own the games, and it also does not provide for peripherals like Guitar Hero on Tour)

The SD card slot opens up more potential for new games that do not cost $25-35, truthfully the SD Card is a much more important upgrade then the camera. Its basically a DS with a hard drive now, and that has a ton of potential.

We are also supposed to get newer DSi enabled games, that utilize the increased storage space and the internet connection for possible DLC in future games (new levels, etc)

Right now though its not much of an upgrade except for early adopters, but by next year I think it will be much more worthwhile

They introduced a new Wario Ware game for it last week, its like Smooth Moves for the DSi and incorporates using the microphone and camera in the gameplay. That will probably be a big seller initially till they get biggers DSi specific games out

I might upgrade for my birthday, but it will only be because I have been wanting to replace my Mario Kart DS for sometime with a DS Lite, but since this new version is coming might as well just upgrade to that.

DSiWare is available and there are big rumors (almost confirmed last week) about the Virtual Console being available to DSi users. Technically it can also play GBA games via emulation, so should the Virtual Console be revealed it could just add those games in being stored on the SD Card (of course that screws people who already own the games, and it also does not provide for peripherals like Guitar Hero on Tour)

The SD card slot opens up more potential for new games that do not cost $25-35, truthfully the SD Card is a much more important upgrade then the camera. Its basically a DS with a hard drive now, and that has a ton of potential.

We are also supposed to get newer DSi enabled games, that utilize the increased storage space and the internet connection for possible DLC in future games (new levels, etc)

Right now though its not much of an upgrade except for early adopters, but by next year I think it will be much more worthwhile

They introduced a new Wario Ware game for it last week, its like Smooth Moves for the DSi and incorporates using the microphone and camera in the gameplay. That will probably be a big seller initially till they get biggers DSi specific games out

I might upgrade for my birthday, but it will only be because I have been wanting to replace my Mario Kart DS for sometime with a DS Lite, but since this new version is coming might as well just upgrade to that.
    It's also rumored that it will include the DS browser (PReviously only available as a GBA cart for $40) , and base level PDA functions (Something on par w say a palm z22)

If true
    I'll probably bite. I skipped the DS lite altogether, but I like the idea of being able to check mail/twitter/ etc. at a coffee shop, or pen in workdates. I don't really care about cell phones so for me it's a win.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

New PS3 firmware update to day. I'm installing it as we speak. New features can be found here

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...e-v270-update/

Text chat is ok, but I'd prefer voice chat.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

Wow, The European Nintendo DS game cases are insanely huge. They are much wider/thicker than the US cases.

There is this Buffy the Vampire Slayer game that came out only in Europe for the DS. I ordered it from a site that sells imported games and received it yetsterday. I haven't played it too much yet, but its decent so far. I'm not expecting super great things from it, but it takes place after the events in the series, so I am interested in seeing where the story goes, and that is the main reason that I ordered it.

When I opened the shipping packaging and saw the size of the DS case, it just took me by surprise. At first I thought that it would have maybe come with something extra for the box to be so huge, but nope. Just the game card and instructions, etc, as it usual for most US DS releases. Just a much thicker case.

Its not a big deal, just interesting.

For the procrastinators/frugal gamers out there, I noticed that LEGO Indiana Jones has officially dropped to $20, if anyone was waiting on a price drop. Keep in mind though, that another LEGO Indy game has been confirmed, which will probably just be the current game with a "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" area added.....

By similar time frames, I think we can expect LEGO Batman to hit $20 sometime in June/July.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    For the procrastinators/frugal gamers out there, I noticed that LEGO Indiana Jones has officially dropped to $20, if anyone was waiting on a price drop. Keep in mind though, that another LEGO Indy game has been confirmed, which will probably just be the current game with a "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" area added.....

By similar time frames, I think we can expect LEGO Batman to hit $20 sometime in June/July.
    In my opinion I find these Lego games boring. I have the Indy Lego game I got fo free with my 360, and it isn't very fun to me.

When I opened the shipping packaging and saw the size of the DS case, it just took me by surprise. At first I thought that it would have maybe come with something extra for the box to be so huge, but nope. Just the game card and instructions, etc, as it usual for most US DS releases. Just a much thicker case.

Its not a big deal, just interesting.
    Thats interesting.

I know the JP DS games are the same size as their US counterparts but it reminds me of the difference between JP and EU Gamecube games which come in vastly different sizes (JP Gamecube games are miniature, only big enough to hold the disc while EU Gamecube games are oversized)

In my opinion I find these Lego games boring. I have the Indy Lego game I got fo free with my 360, and it isn't very fun to me.
    Lego Indy is very boring compared to either Lego Star Wars or Lego Batman, the other two games are much more creative (especially Lego Batman which really uses the license well).

Lego Batman imho is the best of the three games in control and story, Lego Star Wars would be second just based on the massive amount of content based on its license.

Lego Batman imho is the best of the three games in control and story, Lego Star Wars would be second just based on the massive amount of content based on its license.
    I agree with that. I played lego indy at a friend's house and didn't like it very much at all. But i love batman and the star wars games.

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    I really enjoyed Lego Batman.
    Even better than Lego Star Wars 2.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

For those of you who have a 360 and its been getting an E74 error, MS has now given that the same policy as the RROD (3 years)

While the majority of Xbox 360 owners continue to have a great experience with their console, we are aware that a very small percentage of our customers have reported receiving an error that displays "E74" on their screen. After investigating the issue, we have determined that the E74 error message can indicate the general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console. As a result, we have decided to cover repairs related to the E74 error message under our three-year warranty program for certain general hardware failures that was announced in July 2007.
    Its actually the RROD but given under a new error message, if you had to pay for the repairs you can now call MS and get a refund on those charges