Page 25 of 351 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell measures up the three next big systems

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=19611
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell measures up the three next big systems

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=19611
    That was an interesting read. I found this part to be particularly interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by that hyperlink above
    Q: But what about Sony’s success with the PlayStation and PS2? They sold more than 100 million of each system.

A:
    It wasn’t anything brilliant that they did. With the PS and PS2 it was timing. They had the right pricing at the right time [and were] almost the accidental winner. It would not surprise me if a year from now they’ll be struggling to sell 1 million units. [Factoring in the PS3’s price], I think in the U.S. the number of early adopters you have is actually around 300,000.
    While I think it is too early to determine how many PS3's Sony will sell within the next year, I very much agree with the points about the PS1 and PS2. I've actually felt this way for quite some time.

I mean, really, a big part of why PS1 gained an audience and grew to become as huge as it did was because of Nintendo and Sega's mistakes. Nintendo making N64 cartridge base was a bad move, and Saturn was very hard to program for.

But, really, for the era, PS1 was adequate at best. It's just that since that generation of systems was the first 3D batch, thus making everything seem new and fresh in that regard, and since the competition made some stupid moves, Sony's system, which was really nothing special for the time (it was only perceived that way by consumers), show up to #1. It's kind of like someone running in a race against the person who has been timed as being the fastest runner in the world, and winning because the record-setting runner is not anywhere close to being at the top of his game due to recovering from an injury, but none the less this new person is suddenly 'perceived' as beating the fastest runner, and therefore rises to fame as a result.

Then, when it came time for PS2, they came out before the competition (well, except Sega Dreamcast, who at this point was struggling to regain an audience after their previous blunders and failed), it had a DVD player built in, AND it was offered at the same price that the PS1 went for at launch (thus making it seem like a good deal even for those who just didn't care about DVD at the time). It simply was riding off of the momentum of PS1, and it went from there. It's main competition was Microsoft, who was knew to the console business, leaving consumers skeptical, and Nintendo, who was still trying to recover from their mistakes of their last system, and who kind of messed up again with those mini-discs.

This may well be the downfall of Sony coming up. I think they would have done better if they had actually put less stuff into the PS3, put it out at a more competitive price, and just continued to ride their existing momentum. But, their arrogance just may get the better of them this time around.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; November 8, 2006 at 10:59pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by WHAT A GUY View Post
    More VC games rated by the ESRB

* Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Kirby’s Super Star (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
    * Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
    * Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Kirby’s Dream Land 3 (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
    * Excitebike (NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Ice Climber (NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Dr. Mario (NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Mario Brothers (NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Ice Hockey (NES; rated E for Everyone)
    * Soccer (NES; rated E for Everyone)
    Oh, man! I can't wait for some of those.
    Mario Kart 64 is a must... I hope it is offered soon.

As far as that interview with Nolan Bushnell...I have to agree with his statements on the PS3.
    I think the incredibly high price (even for the 20GB model) will hurt them. Don't get me wrong, I like Playstation, but I don't see parents and casual gamers dropping that kind of cash on hardware.
    When I was waiting on line outside of Gamestop to pre-order my Wii, I heard quite a few parents talking about how the Wii looked really fun and how they would never spend $600 on a game system.
    Like it or not, no console can succeed without the parents who buy these things for their kids. The diehard gamers alone are not enough.
    I want a PS3 as much as the next guy, but by the time you get the system(60GB), and extra controller, some component cables, and a game or two it will cost at least $800. I know that I can't afford that right now.
    For me, the Wii is a very attractive option. And it has Nintendo's first party lineup, which IMO is the best.
    Last edited by SUPERHEMANMIKE; November 8, 2006 at 10:50pm.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

MARIO RPG!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!

So happy.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Q: What about Sony’s PlayStation 3 Strategy?

A: I think Sony shot themselves in the foot… there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base. They have also historically had horrible software tools. You compare that to the Xbox 360 with really great authoring tools [and] additional revenue streams from Xbox live… a first party developer would be an idiot to develop for Sony first and not the 360. People don’t buy hardware, they buy software.

Classic no wonder his company went belly up and his restraunts have been dying.

They were simply at the right place at the right time. Yeah like Nintendo. Remember that Atari. When Nintendo came to ya'll for a partnership and you said no thanks and they took the ball and ran. History repeats itself. Nintendo said No to Sony in fact back doored them and Sony just went ahead and released it anyway.

The PS1 was never meant to be more powerful than the 64 it started as an attachment for the SNES. And the PS2 at launch was the most powerful system out. They launched before the Xbox and GC and already had an install base that rivaled the competitions, DreamCast and N64 which was still trying to chug along when the PS2 was released on March 4,2000 in Japan and October 26,2000.

The last Nintendo 64 game to be released in North America was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on August 20, 2002 while Mario Party 3 released on 16 November 2001 was the last title Europe would see.

Ok so lets break this down.

First out the gate Atari Jaguar Released Nov. 18,1993 for $249.99

Then came the Sega Saturn Released in Japan on Nov 22,1994 for $399. And later released in the US May 11,1995.

Then the PS1 released in Japan Dec 3,1994 for $299 and in America Sept1,1995

Then the N64 released in Japan June 23,1996 and NA September 29,1996 for $199.

So it couldn't have been cause it was the first to offer games on CDs cause the Jaguar and Saturn did that before the PS1 was even launched. It couldn't have been cause it was the latest system out cause the N64 was last to launch and it couldn't have been cause it was the cheapest product on the market cause the Jaguar the N64 and at the time the Saturn were all cheaper. So the PS1 wasn't as powerful as the 64 it didn't have to be it wasn't the last one out the gate it rivaled the Saturn and Jaguar both those were also 32 bit systems.

By the time of the Playstation's release on September 9, 1995, the Saturn had sold approximately 80,000 systems. The Playstation sold over 100,000 units upon release in the U.S., a record at the time for a new system.

By the end of 1995, after the entrance of the Sony PlayStation and the Sega Saturn, the Jaguar's fate was all but sealed. In an interview, Sam Tramiel, CEO of Atari, touted that the Jaguar was much more powerful than the Saturn (which was untrue) and slightly weaker than the PlayStation. He also predicted the price of the PlayStation to be $500 and said that any price from $250 to $300 would be price dumping and that Atari would sue to block sales (they never did). His comments were selected as #3 in GameSpy's Top 25 Dumbest Moments in Gaming

People don't buy hardware they buy software. ok.

Speaking with GamersReports, Xbox Group Product Marketing Manager Aaron Greenberg addressed concerns that Xbox 360's current 20 GB hard drive would not be sufficient for the forthcoming movie and television download service. When pressed for a solution, Greenberg offered up this workaround:

"I can tell you what people tell me they do to get around this. What they do is they put their Live account on a memory unit and then they have one hard drive that they put their games or related content on, and then they have another drive that they put their movies and TV on."

Of course! Why didn't we think of that? Duh, the 360 HDD is detachable -- just buy another! And $100 later, we've got enough room to store 5 hours of HD content on a separate drive. Wow, that's awful.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/08/mi...d-buy-another/

So Xbox 360 wants you to buy a HDD and an extra one to boot. One for Games and one for downloadable content/movies/tvshows.

Plus the wires that don't help for squat to get 1080p.

The HD-DVD Add on.

Plus the 140 it cost to get your xbox fixed since this last update that was rushed out bricked alot of 360s. So if over heating didn't get you the update did.

Lets talk about software. If you've bought anything from EA your clearly getting ripped off. And lets not even bring up Lumines.

Oh 3rd party would be stupid to program for Sony it's not like they don't have an online service or have had one.

You can get additional content. Music. Movie Trailers and PS1 games (priced @ 5 dollars each)

I don't even know where to stop cause theres tons more this guy is seriously out of touch. Even the Wii can do everything the 360 has done thus far online.

Bushnell is absolutely convinced the PS3 will fail ... and not just fail to reach the vaunted nine-digit milestone for the third time, but outright flop. Bushnell told Red Herring that "It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units ... I think in the the number of early adopters you have is actually around 300,000." Furthermore, he goes on to say the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were merely accidents, reaping rewards not by being the best, but by being in the right place at the right time.

I geuss this wraps it up nicely.

The PlayStation did not succeed because Sony had a Field of Dreams moment; it was supported because developers loved how it was easier to develop than the cumbersome Saturn and consumers bought it because the software was far cheaper than the N64. My PlayStation didn't just fall off the shelf and into my shopping cart, I bought it for a reason. While it would take a fanatic to believe the PS3 will sell over 100 million units, thinking the PS3 will only sell one million units by this time next year -- and fail to sell out of the launch units -- is crazy.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/08/at...dent/#comments
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; November 9, 2006 at 02:16am.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    The PS3 will sell one million units by the end of the year, that I am pretty sure on. But I agree with a lot of what Bushnell had to say. Just as Nintendo took advantage of Atari's mistake in the 80s, Sony took advantage of Sega's and Nintendo's mistake in the late 90s. That's pretty much how things go in the gaming industry.

Now...with almost everyone predicting the PS3 will lose it's crown this coming generation, who will take advantage of Sony's mistake? I think that will be the biggest question mark of them all.

The PS3 is definitely not going to fail, but I have a hard time believing it will be able to overtake the 360 in sales. Let's face it -- this time next year, even if the PS3 gets a price drop, it will still be expensive (for a gaming console).

So I can definitely see where Bushnell is coming from. Only time will tell.

The public isn't stupid and for as much hate as Sony gets supposedly for faulty hardware the 360 is really vying to take that crown away. I mean initial batches over heated and the new update bricked alot of 360s. Plus all the add ons. Microtransactioning people to death, they are the only system currently out doing this. Alot of their software is buggy. And they once again failed to get any of the market in Japan. So no they won't be that hard for Sony to come in and trounce with minimal effort. Sorry but they squandered their 1 year lead. It wasn't till this week they finally got a killer app.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88 View Post
    The PlayStation did not succeed because Sony had a Field of Dreams moment; it was supported because developers loved how it was easier to develop than the cumbersome Saturn and consumers bought it because the software was far cheaper than the N64. My PlayStation didn't just fall off the shelf and into my shopping cart, I bought it for a reason. While it would take a fanatic to believe the PS3 will sell over 100 million units, thinking the PS3 will only sell one million units by this time next year -- and fail to sell out of the launch units -- is crazy.
    Well, I guess its a matter of Tomato/Tomato (differently pronounced, of course). I mean, you are making the opposite arguement that I made, only using the same reasons that I did to support it. Like you said, Sony succeeded largely due in part to the very mistakes that Nintendo and Sega made. So, really, while Sony didn't so anything wrong or unethical, their success was due largely in part to the mistakes of the competition, and therefore not because of their own hard work and persiverence.

I'm not saying the Playstation didn't have any merrits of it's own, but if it hadn't been for the mistakes of the competition, it probably would never have become the runaway success that it did. Also, Sony just tried their hands at putting out their own game system when game systems were popular in general. It was a risk from a competitive stand point, but not from a weak market standpoint (which, IMO, is much riskier). There's nothing wrong with that, but it was really no different than what Microsoft did when they put out the Xbox, and it wasn't nearly as daring as when Nintendo put out the NES in the 80s after the gaming market pretty much crashed. Sure, Nintendo had litttle to no competition, but that's because the competition messed up the market for all gaming companies... therefore making it a risk for ANY company to put out a game system at that point. Nintendo took much more of a chance than Sony really did. So, in Nintendo's case, the mistakes of other game companies at that point in time made them coming into the market very risky and was actually a potential threat for them. In Sony's case, the mistakes of the other companies just happened to put them into a position where it was very easy to prosper.

As a result of the Sega and Nintendo mistakes, a lot of 3rd party programmers were mainly programming for Sony, so that got a lot of games that only came out for PS1 that wouldn't otherwise have been exclusives. So, it was more the mistakes of the competition that put Sony ahead. If Microsoft had first started making game systems at that time and Sony waited until the following generation to start doing so, then we'd likely be in a situation where Microsoft is #1 and Sony is selling respectibly, but still falling well short of the #1 company.

So for Sony, the artificial exclusivity of games (due to lack of alternate systems to put many of them on), coupled with the fact that this was the first time that a CD based system was mainstream gave them a whole new set of advantages. Once they made back their money on their games, they could then offer them for really low priced (which ultimately resulted in the 'Greatest Hits Collection' priced at $19.99 on average). That was simply an advantage of the format, and in many ways not something Sony came up with themselves, but more so a result of their right place/right time/right format success.

I mean, cartridges were more expensive... period. Generally speaking, you didn't go to a store like Best Buy or Toys R Us and find new (meaning not used) but older SNES or GENESIS games for $20 because of what the cartrides cost. That kind of price was pretty much unheard of outside of second hand used gaming stores and maybe the occasional unsuccessful game being sold at a clearance price.

So, Sony was in the right place at the right time, and because they could eventually sell their games for a lot less money, they were able to then draw in an even larger audience. People who felt that $50 was way too much to pay for a game could simply buy the older titles when they went down in price. And of course, by this time the system price was dropping as well, so it that's what did it more than anything.

The problem this time around is that the PS3 is starting out at such a high price that even by the time it drops down on any significant level, it's still going to cost almost about the same amount that the competing systems are costing now. And, I wonder how long it will take before we start seeing cheaper games this time around as well. With the games being on the new, and currently more expensive Blu-Ray format, it could be a while before we see significant price drops on them as well (I hope I am wrong on this, but I'm not holding my breath).

The public isn't stupid and for as much hate as Sony gets supposedly for faulty hardware the 360 is really vying to take that crown away. I mean initial batches over heated and the new update bricked alot of 360s.
    Microsoft's reputation has definately dropped down a few notches in my eyes, but still isn't quite down to where Sony's is yet.

I heard about the problem with that new dowload update thing, and that really sucks. This is actually a big part of why I think the whole idea of even going online and downloading content for gaming systems is a terrible idea to begin with, and why I for the most part haven't jumped on board with taking any of my systems online.

The whole reason why I like console systems is because generally speaking, if you have a particular system, and a game made for that system... you pop the game into that system and you are set to go, no harm, no foul. But with computers, you have to make sure you have all the right processors, speed, ram, hard drive, and all this other crap to make sure the game works. Then, you run into the issue of the game not working or conflicting with some other program you have installed on the computer for some weird reason, etc. It sucks. Then if you downlaod a virus or something, forget about it. This is why making these newer game systems more like computers is a bad idea to start with. It's already having problems and programming conflicts that sometimes prevent the system from working on a basic level. And since PS3 and Wii will be Sony and Nintendo's first major go arounds with having downloadable content, it's possible that we will see more of this with them.

As far as the issues with overheating units from the earlier batches... luckily mine is still fine (and hopefully will continue to be). I haven't had a problem aside from it having froze once or twice during extended play times, but its not like that's never happened on other systems. I've heard a lot about these issues, and this concerns me as well.

However, I will say that at the absolute very least, Microsoft did come out, admit that there is a problem, and for all of the units manufactured in 2005 were offering free repair on them even if they are outside of warranty. Granted, they should have come out with this sooner than they did, but its better late than never... and they were offering refunds to anyone who's systems were from that batch and had previously paid for a repair.

Sony, on the other hand, with PS2, had these disc read error problems that were WAY to frequent and were an ongoing issue well beyond the initial launch batches. And from everything I have heard, their customer service on the matter has been rather lousey, and if your system was outside of warranty, you were pretty much screwed.

So while I think Microsoft could have handled things better than they did, they still did more than Sony ever did under similar circumstances.

Plus all the add ons. Microtransactioning people to death, they are the only system currently out doing this. Alot of their software is buggy. :
    Well, you have a point, but in all fairness, PS2 really didn't do much in the way of downloadable content, period. They only had a couple of games that even worked with that hard drive, and otherwise their online service is specific to playing against other people and not doing much else (which I actually think is a good idea).

However, now that Sony and Nintendo will have more of an Xbox Live type of set up, we could see more of the same happening on the PS3 and Wii. I hope I am wrong. But, we don't know how much microtransactioning the others might end up doing. Sure, Xnox 360 is the only system currently doing this... but at this point in time, its the only one of the 'next gen' systems that is even out. So, time will tell on that.

As for the ad ons, many are optional. If you want HD-DVD, you can buy the ad on. If you don't want it, don't spend the $200. If you want wireless internet, buy the $100 add on (or the $20 3rd party alternative), and if not, then just don't go online or simply hook a wire up to the system (God forbid you have to hook up a wire... like having 1 more wire attached to the system in addition to the power supply and connection to the TV is going to make THAT big of a difference ). If you want to download a bunch of movies, videos, etc to your 360, then you may need to get a bigger hard drive down the road (though, if you are going to even do stuff like this, you're just better off using a computer), but if you don't plan on that, then the existing hard drive is more than enough.

I admit that in many ways the PS3 is a better deal for anyone who plans to utilize it for EVERY SINGLE one of it's extra features. If you want high def movies (and prefer Blu-Ray over HD-DVD), if you want wireless internet, if you want the absolute highest level of HD output (and if you have a TV to support that), and if you want all of that other stuff, then yes, $600 isn't a bad price. But I honestly think that those people who will use ALL of those things are few and far between, and if you don't need it all, you are still pretty much forced to buy it.

Microsoft gives you the option, and that's the big thing. It's really a matter of individual preference.

At any rate, I'm not saying Microsoft is perfect, because they aren't. I just currently see them as the lesser of two evils. But that means that they are still an 'evil' none the less. And even if things shift with me liking Sony more than Mircrosoft, it will still be a case of a greater and lesser evil. It would be nice just to have a couple of systems that I could look upon in a mostly positive light, rather than having to look at them in terms of which one isn't as bad as the other. But things just keep heading down that path.

I just think that a big part of Microsoft's problem has really resulted with all of the downloadable stuff from Xbox Live, and I fear that now that Sony and Nintendo are going in a similar route, we will be seeing more problems from them as well. So, for the most part, I plan to keep my systems offline for now. And if I ever do go online with them, it will probably be exclusive to play against others and not to download tons of stuff. One thing I will say in favor of PS2 is that I think their online service which seems to be strictly for playing against others and not much else is a much better idea than this whole online community bull crap that just seems to be causing more problems than anything else.

Gaming just isn't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    The PS3 will sell one million units by the end of the year, that I am pretty sure on. But I agree with a lot of what Bushnell had to say. Just as Nintendo took advantage of Atari's mistake in the 80s, Sony took advantage of Sega's and Nintendo's mistake in the late 90s. That's pretty much how things go in the gaming industry.

Now...with almost everyone predicting the PS3 will lose it's crown this coming generation, who will take advantage of Sony's mistake? I think that will be the biggest question mark of them all.

The PS3 is definitely not going to fail, but I have a hard time believing it will be able to overtake the 360 in sales. Let's face it -- this time next year, even if the PS3 gets a price drop, it will still be expensive (for a gaming console).

So I can definitely see where Bushnell is coming from. Only time will tell.
    I pretty much completely agree with what you are saying here.

And it is hard to say which company will truely benefit from Sony's mistake.

When Atari went under, Nintendo came onto the scene pretty much completely unchallenged. When Sony took over, both of the competing companies made bad mistakes.

This time around, you have the #1 company making a mistake, and two runners up who could potentially take the #1 spot.

On the one hand, Xbox has a strong following, was the #2 system/company of the last generation, and the 360 has been out for a year now.

On the other hand, despite being the 3rd place underdog last time around, Nintedo's new system has been gaining a lot of positive attention and is coming out at the most affordable price of all of the systems. That, coupled with the fact that it will have a larger number of units coming out than PS3 for the holiday season really helps to put it that much further ahead.

Only time will tell on this one.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; November 9, 2006 at 04:08pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

No rumble for N64 VC games

CVG learns that the Virtual Console will not support force feedback for N64 games

The Rumble Pak was one of the N64's many great innovations, accentuating in-game crashes, bumps and explosions by shaking the controller.

But when N64 games arrive on the Virtual Console retro downloads system on Wii, they'll lack forcefeedback support, Nintendo has confirmed to CVG in a Q&A regarding the Virtual Console.

This might be due to the lack of a rumble feature in the Classic Controller, which will be the primary controller for playing Virtual Console games on Wii. But with the option to play VC games with a GameCube controller, which does feature a rumble motor, we had hoped that games would retain their pad-shaking features.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...48897&skip=yes

Just for scope.

N64 Games with rumble pak support:

#
    1080° Snowboarding

A:
    A Bug's Life
    Aero Gauge
    All-Star Baseball '99
    All-Star Baseball 2000
    All-Star Baseball 2001
    All Star Tennis '99
    Animal Forest (Import)
    Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
    Army Men: Air Combat
    Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
    Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2
    Asteroids Hyper 64
    Automobili Lamborghini

B:
    Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaio (Import)
    Banjo Kazooie
    Banjo Tooie
    Bassmasters 2000
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    BattleTanx
    BattleTanx: Global Assault
    Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs
    Beetle Adventure Racing
    Big Mountain 2000
    Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
    Blues Brothers 2000
    Body Harvest
    Bomberman 64 2 (Import)
    Bomberman Hero
    Bomberman: The Second Attack
    Buck Bumble
    Bust-A-Move '99

C:
    California Speed
    Carmageddon 64
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
    Chameleon Twist 2
    Charlie Blast's Territory
    Chopper Attack
    Command & Conquer
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n Exotica
    Cruis'n World
    Custom Robo (Import)
    CyberTiger Woods Golf

D:
    Daikatana
    Deadly Arts
    Destruction Derby 64
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Disney's Tarzan
    Donkey Kong 64
    Dr. Mario 64
    Duck Dodgers
    Duke Nukem 64
    Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

E:
    Earthworm Jim 3D
    Excitebike 64
    Extreme-G
    Extreme-G 2

F:
    F-1 World Grand Prix
    F-Zero X
    F-Zero X Expansion Kit (Import)
    Fighter Destiny 2
    Fighters Destiny
    Fighting Force 64
    Flying Dragon
    Forsaken 64

G:
    Gauntlet Legends
    Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
    Gex: Enter The Gecko
    Glover
    Goemon's Great Adventure
    Golden Nugget 64
    GoldenEye 007
    GT 64 Championship Edition

H:
    Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
    Hey You, Pikachu!
    Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
    Hybrid Heaven
    Hydro Thunder

I:
    Iggy's Reckin' Balls
    In-Fisherman Bass Hunter 64
    Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
    Indy Racing 2000

J:
    Japan Pro Golf Tour 64 (Import)
    Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
    Jet Force Gemini

K:
    Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Knife Edge: Nose Gunner
    Knockout Kings 2000
    Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
    Kyojin no Doshin -- Kaihou Sensen Chibikko Chikko Daishuugou (Import)
    Kyojin no Doshin 1 (Import)

L:
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Lego Racers
    Lode Runner 3D

M:
    Madden 64
    Madden NFL 99
    Madden NFL 2000
    Madden NFL 2001
    Magical Tetris Challenge
    Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr
    Mario Artist: Paint Studio (Import)
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party
    Mario Party 2
    Mario Party 3
    Mario Tennis 64
    Mega Man 64
    Mia Hamm Soccer 64
    Micro Machines 64 Turbo
    Mike Piazza's StrikeZone
    Milo's Astro Lanes
    Mission: Impossible
    Monaco Grand Prix
    Monster Truck Madness 64
    Mortal Kombat 4
    Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
    Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness
    Multi Racing Championship

N:
    NASCAR 2000
    NASCAR 99
    NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant
    NBA In The Zone '99
    NBA In The Zone 2000
    NBA Jam 2000
    NBA Jam 99
    NBA Live 2000
    NBA Live 99
    NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC
    NFL Blitz
    NFL Blitz 2000
    NFL Blitz 2001
    NFL Quarterback Club '98
    NFL Quarterback Club '99
    NFL Quarterback Club 2000
    NFL Quarterback Club 2001
    NHL '99
    NHL Blades of Steel '99
    NHL Breakaway '98
    NHL Breakaway '99
    Nightmare Creatures
    Nuclear Strike

O:
    Off-Road Challenge

P:
    Paper Mario
    Perfect Dark
    PGA European Tour
    Pokemon Snap
    Polaris SnoCross
    Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
    Puyo Puyo Sun64

Q:
    Quake
    Quake II

R:
    Rainbow Six
    Rally Challenge 2000
    Rampage 2: Universal Tour
    Rampage: World Tour
    Rat Attack
    Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    Re-Volt
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
    Resident Evil 2
    Ridge Racer 64
    Road Rash 64
    Roadsters
    Rocket - Robot on Wheels
    Rugrats in Paris
    Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt
    Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA

S:
    S.C.A.R.S
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    San Francisco Rush
    Shadow Man
    Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth (Import)
    Snowboard Kids
    Snowboard Kids 2
    South Park
    South Park Rally
    Space Invaders
    Space Station Silicon Valley
    Spider-Man
    Star Fox 64
    Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
    Star Wars: Episode I Battle for Naboo
    Star Wars: Episode I Racer
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Stunt Racer 64
    Super B-Daman Battle Phoenix 64 (Import)
    Super Bowling
    Super Mario 64 (Import)
    Super Smash Bros.
    Supercross 2000
    Superman

T:
    Tetris 64 (Import)
    The World is Not Enough
    Tom and Jerry: Fists of Furry
    Tonic Trouble
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Top Gear Hyperbike
    Top Gear Overdrive
    Top Gear Rally
    Top Gear Rally 2
    Toy Story 2
    Triple Play 2000
    Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
    Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
    Turok: Rage Wars
    Twisted Edge

U:
    -

V:
    V-Rally Edition '99
    Vigilante 8
    Vigilante 8: Second Offense
    Virtual Pool 64
    Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (Import)

W:
    Wave Race 64 (Import)
    WCW Backstage Assault
    WCW Mayhem
    WCW Nitro
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    Wheel of Fortune
    WinBack: Covert Operations
    Wipeout 64
    World Driver Championship
    Worms Armageddon
    WWF Attitude
    WWF No Mercy
    WWF Warzone
    WWF Wrestlemania 2000

X:
    Xena: Warrior Princess, The Talisman of Fate

Y:
    Yoshi's Story

Z:
    -

Microsoft

PC:
    CGW has become GFW. Issue 1 is out now, and I enjoyed it.
    www.1up.com

Win a Killer Gaming Notebook from Cyberpower, and GFW:
    http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3154836

Windows Vista goes gold:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161392.html

WOW Expansion nearly gold:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161371.html

Xbox360

Buy extra cars for NFS Carbon via microtransactions
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161412.html

Nintendo:

Wii
    Gamespot playtests the Wii 11/10/06:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/featur...&click=topslot

Sony:

PS3
    Sony's mind made up on pricing:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161405.html

Oblivion Delay on PS3 confirmed:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161417.html
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Wii and Zelda TP manufacturing.

The PlayStation did not succeed because Sony had a Field of Dreams moment; it was supported because developers loved how it was easier to develop than the cumbersome Saturn
    I'll agree to that. The N64 was a total nightmare to develop on mostly due to a lack of support from Nintendo. One particular issue comes to mind, when the latest release of the GPU microcode was released and was causing us massive headaches by just rendering random crap on the screen. Nintendo's attitude was basicly; "it works fine for us, so it's not a priority".

The PS1 however, was an absolute dream. It's just a shame that Sony didn't continue the level of support and quality of development tools on to the PS2, but with the pruchase of SN Systems in 2004, that should have changed quite a bit.

I have to say that all these Playstation comments from old Nolan sound more like sour grapes than anything else. He plays no real part in the video games industry, and nobody really (and quite rightfully so) acknowledges him as the "father of video games". That honour seems to have gone to Sony's Ken Kutaragi by way of mass marketing.

It's almost as if he's squealing; "Look at me! Look at me! I'm IMPORTANT dammit!"
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

I wouldn't give Ken Kutaragi that much credit. No way would I give him that honor and prestige of accompanying that title. He's up there with bringing the video game industry to the mainstream, but "father of video games?"

I scoff at that notion and I'm sure a lot of people would agree.

On a different note, anyone getting jealous of all the sites getting their retail version of the Wii? I was watching "On the Spot" via GameSpot and I was totally jealous. They were playing Excite Truck when I tuned in live...and I closed the window when they started playing TP. No way I'm looking at the beginning...I need to see that for myself.
    Last edited by hemanrep; November 10, 2006 at 06:02pm.

i'm just watching that right now. Saw a bit of zelda and it looked great! They have madden on now but it doesn't interest me much. can't wait til next sunday
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I wouldn't give Ken Kutaragi that much credit. No way would I give him that honor and prestige of accompanying that title. He's up there with bringing the video game industry to the mainstream, but "father of video games?"

I scoff at that notion and I'm sure a lot of people would agree.
    I never actually said that he IS the father of video games, just that he seems to be percieved that way by the vast majority of people due to mass marketing of the Playstation brand.

The fact is that he has done more than anybody else to bring the video games market into the mainstream and change the image of video games. People like Myamoto and Kojima may design great video games (and in my opinion, they do) but I have a feeling they both would have been stuck in obscurity if it weren't for Sony making a massively positive impact on the video games industy.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

PS3 Japan launch

So I was in Kyoto city this morning and witnessed the launch of the PS3. It was a fairly lacklustre turnout to the store I passed, but this no doubt also has to do with the fact it's not exactly a super-large store. The predetermined (limited) supply of PS3 consoles can also be factored into this equation. No point being the 200th person in line if there's only 50 consoles to give away, eh?

I'd say the line was about 100m or so long, and almost every person waiting were males in their early to late 30s, with a few past their 40s thrown in. This helps to understand the age gap in Nintendo and Playstation gamers. Or more precisely, that said gap seems to be widening ever more with each new console released.

Without further ado, I present to you the line up. (Clicky)
    This pic doesn't do the line justice though; I just wanted to take a shot from the end to show off the "End of the line for PS3" sign. It was a lot longer than what this photo looks like.

Also for those who are interested, is the back cover of the latest Gundam title, as well as the opening day software title rack.

Oh, one last thing - a Toys R' Us catalogue distributed yesterday. Enjoy!

Things found in the Wii manual and by playing with it.

* "Up to 100 Miis can stay in your Mii Plaza." (pg. 11)
    * "The Photo Channel can display a maximum of approximately 1,000 photos. If your SD card has more than 1,000 photos, remove the card from the Wii console and remove or reorganize your photos in your camera, cell phone or computer." (pg. 15)
    * "You can not save or overwrite photos or videos on the SD card." (pg. 20)
    * "Any of the options in Fun! mode [doodles, etc. -Ed.] can be applied to individual frames of a video." (pg. 21)
    * The photo channel supports JPGs of up to 8192x8192 resolution and QuickTime files of up to 848x480. (pg. 22)
    * MP3 audio is listed under supported formats. After quite a bit of searching, we figured out how this feature works, but we didn't like what we found (more later.)
    * "NOTE: Your use of the Wii Shop Channel is subject to your acceptance of the Wii Users Agreement, the Wii Privacy Policy and the Wii Code of Conduct. Copies of the most updated versions of these agreements may be found at support.nintendo.com. [not yet - Ed.]" (pg. 24)
    * "NOTE: Some Virtual Console games can only be played with a Classic Controller. (sold separately) [this seems to contradict previous confirmation that Gamecube controllers would work on all Virtual Console games -Ed.]" (pg. 25)
    * "Software downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel is licensed to you, not sold" (pg. 25)
    * "NOTE: The calendar displays dates from January 2000 to December 2035." (pg. 31)
    * "NOTE: You will not be able to send photos from your Wii console to the PC/cell phone user." (pg. 36)
    * "NOTE: The Wii console uses a 24 hour clock. For example, 1:00 pm is displayed as 13:00 pm" (pg. 42)
    * The parental control features "does NOT control access to Nintendo GameCube games" (pg. 46)
    * "If you use the messaging features of the Wii console, you need to understand that Nintendo may monitor your use and share certain information (i) as required by law, (ii) where necessary to protect the company, its customers or its employees, (iii) as necessary to provide the services. [Big Brother is watching -Ed.]" (pg. 47)
    * "NOTE: The initial recommended distance for using the Wii Remote Pointer is 3 to 8 feet from the sensor bar ... Also note that the influence of direct sunlight and various light sources can make the Pointer operation less optimal. [Oh really... -Ed.]" (pg. 50)
    * By formatting the Wii Shop Channel from the Wii's system menu, you clear all "records of your transactions and rights to download software." (pg. 61)
    * "NOTE: You should format your Wii Shop Channel data first, then your Wii System Memory, prior to selling or otherwise transferring your Wii console to any third party." (pg. 61)
    * "NOTE: Adjusting the speaker and Rumble settings will affect all Wii remotes currently connected to the Wii console. [I hope everyone likes the same settings. -Ed.]" (pg. 63)

1. It doesn't play CDs, but it plays AVIs off your digital camera's SD card.
    2. The flaps that protect the Gamecube controllers and memory card slots are removable.
    3. Wii Sports includes training and workout modes.
    4. You can let one remote control all four players in Wii Sports: Tennis.
    5. It takes five pieces of heart to make a heart container in Zelda: Twilight Princess
    6. The box includes two clear plastic holders: one for the sensor bar and another that acts as a stabilizer for the thick, gray console stand
    7. When used as a pointer, the Wii detects how far the remote is from the sensor bar.
    8. The system keeps track of your cumulative play time for all games, and logs it on your Wii's daily message board.
    9. The standard A/V cables that have worked on every Nintendo system since the SNES do not work on the Wii (the system-side input is different)
    10. The system doubles as a great whiteboard.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/12/wi...s-its-secrets/

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/12/to...about-the-wii/

This is the scene of Yodobashi Akiba in Electric Town Akihabra. What is the crowd of people waiting on? Why, the PlayStation 3, of course. The guy on the loudspeaker is calling out lottery numbers for the lucky few in the crowd to claim their new console. By now, all the PS3s in Japan are long gone, at home by some gamer's television set.

By now, all the PS3s in Japan are long gone, at home by some gamer's television set.
    or wrapped up and shipped to people who over-payed on eBay.

5. It takes five pieces of heart to make a heart container in Zelda: Twilight Princess
    holy crap! That's going to be a LOT of exploring to find all of them.

By formatting the Wii Shop Channel from the Wii's system menu, you clear all "records of your transactions and rights to download software."
    I don't like this idea. So that means if you 'accidentally' format your Shop Channel, the games you used WiiPoints for will be gone and no way to recover them?
    Last edited by MattOnDemand; November 12, 2006 at 04:11pm.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

WHAT A GUY
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt View Post
    I don't like this idea. So that means if you 'accidentally' format your Shop Channel, the games you used WiiPoints for will be gone and no way to recover them?
    Nintendo have stated that they can recover your deatils if required. Probably a small fee required tho.

At the Osaka Game Show yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt View Post
    Well I suppose this can be avoided if you save your downloaded content to the SD card, right? That way if you format, the card should still have the games/content saved on it, possibly with some kind if transaction ID file?
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Nintendo said you would not have to pay for games you have already downloaded. The games are linked to the account, and the account has a history of games purchased...so don't worry.

Nintendo said you would not have to pay for games you have already downloaded. The games are linked to the account, and the account has a history of games purchased...so don't worry.
    Cool! So it's like Steam!

At first Steam was a buggy pain in the butt, but now that the kinks are mostly ironed out it's awesome. If I ever have to reformat/reload, or I lose the game it's no biggie because my login has my game purchases tied to them, so I can re download them automatically. Also nice if you own a desktop, and a notebook, you can login to the same account on both. The only part that sucks is you have to login to Steam to play a single player Steam accounted game, but it's liveable.
    The Deviot

-?

Genesis VC games no go with GC controllers.

Cruising around the Wii game pages on Nintendo.com, we noticed something a little odd in the listed "Extra Game Features" for the Wii's Genesis Virtual Console games. While other virtual console games all list support for the GameCube controller (and the Wii remote in the case of NES and TurboGrafx-16 games) all the Genesis game pages insist that you "use the Classic Controller to play this game." This contradicts an interview with CVG where Nintendo said "all virtual console games can be played using the Classic Controller or Nintendo GameCube pads," but seems in line with a note in the Wii manual that says "some Virtual Console games can only be played with a Classic Controller."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/ge...gc-controller/

We all know that the Classic Controller won't have rumble. Nor will the games that had rumble be able to use the rumble in GC controllers.

According to CVG, N64 Virtual Console games will not support rumble feedback. Also, the VC controller will not support rumble at all and, apparently, the GameCube controller's including rumbling functionality will not be used.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...n64-vc-titles/

Which is wierd since they didn't change anything in the games.

Nintendo confirmed exact replicas of all Virtual Console titles in an interview with CVG noting that original games "have not been changed" for Wii. From the interview: "All [Virtual Console] games will be faithful recreations of the original versions in all areas, including content, movement and expressions, so they will not feature new functions like multiplayer or internet play if the original title did not."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/ni...-been-changed/

Seems Nintendo IS in fact releasing a Wii with DVD Playback.

A couple weeks back, the UK's Edge Magazine revealed the Wii would be getting a DVD-enhanced variant in Japan, sometime in 2007. Today, Gamasutra reports "California technology company Sonic Solutions have announced that Nintendo has chosen to use the company's software to allow a 'future version' of the Wii console to play DVD movies."

Lets hope it's Black.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/dv...-half-of-2007/

Hope they get the SD Card thing worked out. Or theres an update by launch.
    Lets hope they aren't making the SD cards proprietary somehow.

With all our Zelda playing this weekend taking place on one Wii system, we were eager to transfer the game save to our personal SD cards so as to avoid repeating completed dungeons on our own, personal systems. Unfortunately, the system software doesn't seem to support copying save files to an SD card, despite information to the contrary in the manual.

Page 39 of the Wii channels and settings manual clearly tells you how to "copy and delete data found on the Wii System Memory and SD cards," but our tests have shown that the SD card simply doesn't register on the memory management screen. We've tried this with a number of SD cards, both empty and full of data, and while picture viewing and MP3 playback worked fine, the system refused to recognize the card as a game save storage device.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/12/ar...ystem-says-no/

PS3 doesn't like the IPOD. Well not yet.. maybe

IGN decided to hook up an iPod to their shiny new PS3 today, only to find out that Sony hasn't let the two be playmates just yet. The PS3 will mount the iPod, but none of the audio, video, or photo files on the iPod will show up. They could transfer music to a new directory that they created on the iPod, but that's just using it like any other USB storage device.

IGN has updated the story with the following: NOTE: In our initial play-test of the PS3, we reported that the multimedia playback feature was hampered by directory structure limitations. However, we have since been informed of a full browsing function for all storage devices -- indeed, you CAN browse media that's not native to the PS3's normal directory structure. Please check this updated news article for the latest update on the multimedia features.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/10/pl...ith-your-ipod/

Gamestop can't fill pre orders for the PS3.

Retail chain GameStop has confirmed to news outlet GameSpot that, despite playing it cool with PlayStation 3 pre-orders (approximately 8-12 units promised per store), the retail chain cannot fulfill all the initial preorders after receiving a launch allocation number from Sony. That's right, folks: even though you've already given the store $100 to reserve the system, you may not get one at launch.

GameStop has done the smart move of asking its employees to wait on their purchases until the second shipment. A representative who spoke to GameSpot is "anticipating having systems to cover reservations before Christmas." Those who have a preorder through GameStop should be contacted by phone and given a status update. The unfortunate souls who have a PS3 preorder but will not receive one at launch will be given a free used game or DVD valued less than $20 ... whenever they finally get their PS3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/ga...ps3-preorders/

And Best Buy wants to sell you a 360 not a Wii.

you walk forward when the doors finally open; when you reach the entrance, the worst thing happens ... they run out of PS3s.

Not all is lost though! Best Buy is giving these eager gamers -- pockets bulging with $600 in singles -- another way to spend their money: a tasty Xbox 360 offer. If you buy an 360 from November 17th through the 19th, you can get a nice buy two Xbox 360 games, get one free offer. Certainly makes a great deal of business sense.

and they continue the deals for Xbox 360

Best Buy is having an $18.99 sale featuring:

* Amped 3
    * Condemned
    * NBA Live '06
    * Rockstar Games Presents: Table Tennis
    * The Outfit (apparently you can score this one for only $9.99 if you buy it in-store before noon)

Circuit City offers a different set at $16.99:

* Full Auto
    * Gun
    * Perfect Dark Zero
    * Quake 4
    * Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

These prices are for Black Friday.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/be...s3-launch-day/

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/bl...-for-xbox-360/

Man, was I RIGHT or was I RIGHT?!?!?!

While IGN already has dozens of PS3 units littering the hallways of our offices, most gamers out there are avidly anticipating the much-hyped console's release this Friday. Gamers who pre-ordered the console from Gamestop/EB Games may be in for a big surprise as the November 17 launch date fast approaches.

We have received word that, due to lower than expected product yields, many Gamestop/EB Games stores have been forced to slash their stock counts for the console by as much as half. This may mean that many people who preordered the system will be unable to pick one up this Friday. Apparently, EB Games is selecting pre-order holders based on the pre-order date and phoning them up to inform them of the cancellation of their pre-orders.

Following last year's debacle with the lack of Xbox 360 launch units, EB Games had tried to remain conservative in the number of pre-orders it sold in an effort to avoid just this situation. While this may not exactly spell doom for the future of the new console, it may leave a sour taste in the mouths of gamers across North America as they scramble to find the almost nonexistent PS3 units they so desperately crave. On the bright side, those that do manage to get their hands on the PS3 will be able to jack up the prices even more when they inevitably resell them on Ebay.

Dudes, I told ya so!! LOL. Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass...but that's why I NEVER preorder via GameStop or EB Games when it comes to consoles.