Page 295 of 350 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,375 of 8739

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up on the Metroid Amazon pre-order! I just placed an order.

I need some advice. I want to use my PS3 as a media server (I plan to rip many of my DVDs... all of which I legitimately own, to a big external hard drive). I know that there are some 2 Terabyte External hard drives out there. Is there any limit on the size of the Hard Drive that the PS3 can read? I know that it needs to be formatted in Fat32, and that it can be somewhat complicated to format the HDD using a computer with newer Windows programs if it is not Fat32 by default (and I know about the 4gig limit per file). Can anyone recommend a good external HDD to use for this? (I don't want to get one that moves too slow or anything). If it comes already formatted in Fat32, that is preferable, but if there is an easy way to format it after the fact, then I can work around it not being formatted that way be default.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Metroid Amazon pre-order! I just placed an order.

I need some advice. I want to use my PS3 as a media server (I plan to rip many of my DVDs... all of which I legitimately own, to a big external hard drive). I know that there are some 2 Terabyte External hard drives out there. Is there any limit on the size of the Hard Drive that the PS3 can read? I know that it needs to be formatted in Fat32, and that it can be somewhat complicated to format the HDD using a computer with newer Windows programs if it is not Fat32 by default (and I know about the 4gig limit per file). Can anyone recommend a good external HDD to use for this? (I don't want to get one that moves too slow or anything). If it comes already formatted in Fat32, that is preferable, but if there is an easy way to format it after the fact, then I can work around it not being formatted that way be default.
    I'm not sure if it has changed, but the last time I checked the PS3 can only use a max HDD of 500GB.

Speed has nothing to do with it, are you wanting to connect the external HD to the PS3 and run movies off the HD? Or are you wanting to turn your PC into a streaming machine with an external HD that has all your movies?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    I'm not sure if it has changed, but the last time I checked the PS3 can only use a max HDD of 500GB.
    But isn't that for internal storage capacity with an internal HDD? I'm talking about an external one hooked up via USB.

But isn't that for internal storage capacity with an internal HDD? I'm talking about an external one hooked up via USB.
    Well, if it is external, then I'm not sure. I don't know if there are limits.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Well, if it is external, then I'm not sure. I don't know if there are limits.
    I do not think there are any limits, as long as its USB 2.0 and formatted in FAT32 it should work fine. A regular USB flash drive can playback a video file fine so pretty much any external HD should work

If you are looking at 1TB or something like that you might have to make multiple partitions so they all are recognized
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Well, I picked up a Western Digital 2TB external hard drive tonight, and after making a BIG mistake in my first attempt to format it, I finally got it to work. I actually found a program that was able to format the whole thing in Fat32 as one partition. I put a few things on it, tested it on the PS3, and it works fine.

The big (and admittedly stupid) mistake that I made was that the first time I accidentally selected my computer's internal hard drive, because both my internal and new external drives started with "WD" when I saw them listed in the menu on the format application. As soon as I realized what I did (which was just after I hit the button to confirm formatting), I tried to stop it, but the damage was done. I had to pull out the recovery discs and set my computer back to factory settings. Luckily not too much was lost in the process. I just got the computer a couple of weeks ago, so most everything was already backed up from being on the old computer or could be downloaded again. It was still scary and VERY frustrating though!

For Xbox LIVE Gold members, Mega Man 10 is on sale this week for only 400 points. ($5)
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Started playing Splinter Cell Conviction last night, I really like how its more like MGS then it was before. I think the change in locals and the fact Sam is now a regular guy helps as well.

I love the execute function, just wish it would keep a running tab. If I kill in hand to hand one guy I get the ability to execute by shooting 2 more. But if I kill 2 guys in hand to hand I still only get to execute 2 by shooting (instead of say 4)

So I have a question about the Xbox 360. Long story short, mine broke down due to the disc drive, and it was out of warranty, so I bought a new one. I got an arcade, and just put my existing hard drive on that, and voila!

So then I gave my old Xbox to a friend to use as a media center, primarily to stream videos from the computer to the TV. The issue is, the Xbox has no memory on it whatsoever. No hard drive, no internal storage, no 512mb, nothing. So he can't even create a profile or anything (and thus cannot stream anything). The question is, can he use a regular old USB stick as a memory stick instead of having to buy an Xbox 360 hard drive? Remember, this is primarily to stream videos, not so much for games.

Thanks!
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    So I have a question about the Xbox 360. Long story short, mine broke down due to the disc drive, and it was out of warranty, so I bought a new one. I got an arcade, and just put my existing hard drive on that, and voila!

So then I gave my old Xbox to a friend to use as a media center, primarily to stream videos from the computer to the TV. The issue is, the Xbox has no memory on it whatsoever. No hard drive, no internal storage, no 512mb, nothing. So he can't even create a profile or anything (and thus cannot stream anything). The question is, can he use a regular old USB stick as a memory stick instead of having to buy an Xbox 360 hard drive? Remember, this is primarily to stream videos, not so much for games.

Thanks!
    The way I understand it he can leave the shows etc on his PC running Vista or 7 stream them through the router to the xbox, and display them on the tv set. I don't think he necessarily needs to house the material natively on the xbox. That said, afaik w/o modding the system he'd have to use the proprietary 360 hard drive, as a memory card won't have enough space, and I'm not sure the firmware will let him stream off a flashdrive (Which would probably have to be a 32GB or greater if there's a lot, and that's more than the cost of the proprietary harddrive) 360 owners correct me if I'm wrong here.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post

Thanks!
    With the latest update you can use a USB stick in place of a harddrive to store your profile and saved games. So if you can find a 1gb-8gb flash drive just pop it in and format it (ignore if it says its not fast enough, that makes little to no difference) and then he can create a profile and download arcade games and utilize anything on Xbox Gold if they have that

Basically the easy way is stick your hard drive back on the machine, make sure the latest firmware is downloaded and installed. Then pop in a flash drive and format it, let him create his profile on it. You remove your HD and leave the flash drive in there and he should be able to use the system by himself after that

I'm looking to make some .org Steam friends? Anybody else on there?
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    With the latest update you can use a USB stick in place of a harddrive to store your profile and saved games. So if you can find a 1gb-8gb flash drive just pop it in and format it (ignore if it says its not fast enough, that makes little to no difference) and then he can create a profile and download arcade games and utilize anything on Xbox Gold if they have that

Basically the easy way is stick your hard drive back on the machine, make sure the latest firmware is downloaded and installed. Then pop in a flash drive and format it, let him create his profile on it. You remove your HD and leave the flash drive in there and he should be able to use the system by himself after that
    Sweet! Thanks, I'll give that a try
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I'm looking to make some .org Steam friends? Anybody else on there?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheDeviot/
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

I finally found a brand new, sealed copy of Tales of Vesperia for 360. It was only $20, too. I bought the last sealed copy from EB Games. No way am I buying their stupid gutted copy.

Used up the rest of my nearly $200 in GS credit and picked up the slim PS3 to replace my dead 60GB model.

Gamestop wouldn't take my broken model even with a credit reduction refurb charge, since my warranty sticker was gone. Selling it as broken on eBay seems to be an option, but the going rate seems to be between $50-$100.

Before I go that route, I think I'll try sending it in to Gophermods for repair. Anyone used them before or know someone who has? They are accredited by the BBB, and boast an average 24 hour turnaround time on repairs once they receive your console. Plus, they also say that if they cannot repair the system, they only charge you for the return shipping. Seems low risk to me, and I've heard lots of good things about them. At least this way I have a shot at getting the copy-protected data off my hard drive by doing a system-to-system data transfer that I'll otherwise end up completely losing. And if they absolutely can't repair it, that transaction won't even cost me $20.

Oh, and I'm definitely purchasing a 3-year warranty through squaretrade for my slim. Less than $40 bucks, and if they can't repair it in 5 days or less, they pay you the full purchase price you paid.
    Last edited by Skullface; July 11, 2010 at 03:46am.

Toys R Us had a good deal yesterday, 25% off clearanced games (anything ending in an 8) and so I picked up Darksiders and Dragon Age Awakenings for $23 ea!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Toys R Us had a good deal yesterday, 25% off clearanced games (anything ending in an 8) and so I picked up Darksiders and Dragon Age Awakenings for $23 ea!
    They also have $15 GC when buying Dragon Quest 9. Will be heading there this week for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    You are the man. Invite sent, my fellow hc pc gamer!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    You are the man. Invite sent, my fellow hc pc gamer!
    Accepted.
    The Deviot

-?

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    Big Gears 2 exp next week for con is the word goin round. From July 22nd 12:30pm through July 25th at 8 pm 20x exp. Thats some big points for anyone trying to level up and get those wings!!
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

Sony announced pricing for The Sly Collection today, and keeping in line with The God of War Collection, it'll be $39.99 MSRP at launch.

Actually a bit better of a deal than GoW, as that was (briefly) $39.99 at launch, and that was only for 2 games, (I wanna say it was less than 2 months later when it got the $10 price cut and Greatest Hits case) whereas The Sly Collection has all 3 PS2 games for the same price. (And 3 new platinum trophies to obtain-Not looking forward to having to complete ALL the time trials on the 1st game, should that be one of the trophies)

Anyone going to buy the Mafia 2 game thats coming out Aug 24th. I know I am going to buy the exclusive 80$ version. I'm excited about this game as I have always loved Mafia games anyway.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I just tried the OnLive service tonight. AMAZING! Everyone who said this service was not possible must now be eating their own dirt. While not the highest resolution, it is certainly VERY good. Anybody else tried it yet? www.onlive.com