Page 299 of 351 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Xbox LIVE Gold memberships go up in price starting 11/1/10:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1116845p1.html

Glad mine expired - will stick with free multiplayer on PSN. It may not have all the bells & whistles of Live, but the important feature works and costs nothing....
    Agreed. I bought a year-round live membership on black Friday last year for about $30, and I've barely used it in the time since. I probably wouldn't renew even at the old price, let alone this new, higher price.

I've been getting most of my games for PS3 now anyway. The only things that I still buy for 360 are Rock Band and Guitar Hero games since all of my peripherals, downloaded songs, and existing related games are for that system. Also all of the "Lego" games that I have are on 360 (except for the original Lego Star Wars, which I have on original Xbox), but I may even change that going forward. I'm waiting to get the Lego Harry Potter game until there is a good price drop or sale, and I'll likely just get the PS3 version for that. All other games that come out for both systems I've pretty much been getting on PS3 anyway, and I see no reason for that to change any time soon.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Xbox LIVE Gold memberships go up in price starting 11/1/10:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1116845p1.html

Glad mine expired - will stick with free multiplayer on PSN. It may not have all the bells & whistles of Live, but the important feature works and costs nothing....
    Quite honestly, charging for Live at all is a rip-off, no matter the price. When everyone else is offering online for FREE, Live doesn't seem like a great deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Quite honestly, charging for Live at all is a rip-off, no matter the price. When everyone else is offering online for FREE, Live doesn't seem like a great deal at all.
    I couldn't agree more! Sony was smart when they decided to make (and keep) their online service free.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

OK, so I'm several hours into Metroid: Other M. Enjoying it for the most part, but I have this nagging feeling that it's going to be over before I know it. (Read that 1st playthrough is about 10 hours, with more to do afterward-I'm currently at 6 hours in)

Controls take a little getting used to. Overall, it's more of a cross between Super Metroid & the Prime series, with third person 3D. Sounds like a cool idea, but like most combos, my initial reaction is that when you combine stuff, you end up losing a portion of what made them work. By only using the Wii-mote, there are times when the game feels totally clunky. (Specifically during combat when you have to keep switching between 3rd & 1st person quickly. Plus, you cannot move at all when in 1st person mode)

Story so far is decent, considering Team Ninja is going WAY off the established Metroid formula by having Samus speak, and flesh out her back story. I'll reserve my final judgment until completing the game, but there's something about this game that really lacks the "Metroid" feeling. Unlike just about every iteration in the franchise, (Prime 3 not withstanding) you never get that creepy "I'm completely isolated & alone" feeling, which to me, is a big part of Metroid's atmosphere.

Other things of note - there are no items dropped from enemies in this game. (No energy or ammo refills) Energy & ammo are completely refilled at save stations. Missiles can be refilled at any time by using the new "Concentration" move. (Point wii-mote straight up and hold A) Energy can be partially filled when your health is critical, also by using Concentration. (Only 99 units at first until you find reserve tanks)

Also, you don't come upon any of the powerups like previous games-your commanding officer tells you when he's authorized you to use a particular weapon/item, and then it's unlocked. Same principle as older entries in the franchise, but the way it's implemented in this game, it's kinda goofy.

"Hey, here's a Super Missile door I can blast open! Oh, wait-Adam didn't say I can use Super Missiles yet. Guess I'll leave it for now and come back later when he gives me the OK to use gear I technically already possess."
    Last edited by Skullface; August 31, 2010 at 04:45am.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Also, you don't come upon any of the powerups like previous games-your commanding officer tells you when he's authorized you to use a particular weapon/item, and then it's unlocked. Same principle as older entries in the franchise, but the way it's implemented in this game, it's kinda goofy.

"Hey, here's a Super Missile door I can blast open! Oh, wait-Adam didn't say I can use Super Missiles yet. Guess I'll leave it for now and come back later when he gives me the OK to use gear I technically already possess."
    i've heard people criticize this a lot. i think it's a good idea though. it's kinda dumb having samus' suit mess up or something every time she starts a new mission.

OK, so I'm several hours into Metroid: Other M. Enjoying it for the most part, but I have this nagging feeling that it's going to be over before I know it. (Read that 1st playthrough is about 10 hours, with more to do afterward-I'm currently at 6 hours in)
    Well you do burn through games

I got to play this some at Wizard World Chicago, it was different but I think they could build on it for another game.

The feeling I got from what I played was similar to the Gamecube version of Starfox. It felt like a new IP with a Metroid skin applied to it (the reference here being that Starfox was originally Dinosaur Island then had Starfox and Co slapped over it).

I will be waiting for a sale to get it, I have other games that take priority. Or if its really that short I might just rent it and add it to my collection when stores clearance it out.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Sweet.... I can't wait for this to come out. If the characters look anything like the drawing in the article, I'll be happy...

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ture-project/1

http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/08/27...future-at-pax/

While I hope it's a really good game, even if it's just a half-assed game by today's standards, I'll still probably enjoy the hell out of it just because it is BTTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Sweet.... I can't wait for this to come out. If the characters look anything like the drawing in the article, I'll be happy...

While I hope it's a really good game, even if it's just a half-assed game by today's standards, I'll still probably enjoy the hell out of it just because it is BTTF.
    That's sweet. I hope they actually release it on disc though with all episodes on it.

Telltale does not make half assed games so no worries there, their work to revive the point and click genre is priceless.

If its even close to their Sam and Max and Monkey Island games we should all be in for a good time. Cannot wait till next week at PAX to see it unveiled
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

agreed. i want this game to be good in ways i can't even describe.

i got "other m" after work yesterday. i love it so far. the only thing that irritates me is that they got her power suit's shoulders wrong. the normal suit does not have the round shoulders. they look more like the pads a football player would wear. it isn't until she gets the varia upgrade that the suit has round shoulders.

i got stuck last night before i quit. i was in a large, round room in sector (section?) 1. there was a giant, purple orb with a spiraling floor in the middle. i ran up to the top and saw an opening. i used the morph ball to go through and then i started falling. i got out of the morph ball while falling and when i landed, i was fixed in first person view. i combed the area a few times, but couldn't find any spot for the visor to lock onto. i couldn't shoot either. after about 5 minutes, i gave up and went to bed. going to try again tonight, this time without getting out of the morph ball, and see if i can get through.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    the only thing that irritates me is that they got her power suit's shoulders wrong. the normal suit does not have the round shoulders. they look more like the pads a football player would wear. it isn't until she gets the varia upgrade that the suit has round shoulders.
    As I posted earlier, she already has the Varia suit from the outset - she just can't use it's heat resistant function until Adam gives her the OK.

For all those of you that didn't get their hands on the Ghostbusters game, amazon has it for 14.99 for all three systems.

Which reminds me I gotta get my hands on gathering all the trophies for it

I recently got my hands on an launch 60gb ps3 on craigslist for 40 bucks, the well known ylod problem, pretty easy to fix, and so I've been enjoying some retro gaming for ps2 and ps1, with ps2 games going for less than 5 bucks on amazon I got red dead revolver, all the GTA games, all the Metal Gears and a few final fantasies all for less than 30 bucks! (I never owned a PS2 or PS1 so I'm having the time of my life!)

I'm currently playing through the first metal gear solid, and it really holds up, the story telling and voice acting is superb!
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    I recently got my hands on an launch 60gb ps3 on craigslist for 40 bucks, the well known ylod problem, pretty easy to fix, and so I've been enjoying some retro gaming for ps2 and ps1, with ps2 games going for less than 5 bucks on amazon I got red dead revolver, all the GTA games, all the Metal Gears and a few final fantasies all for less than 30 bucks! (I never owned a PS2 or PS1 so I'm having the time of my life!)
    Way to go, GTA III is still one the best games of the last generation.

You might also want to check out some of the Sony exclusives like Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Dexter.

For all those of you that didn't get their hands on the Ghostbusters game, amazon has it for 14.99 for all three systems.

Hmmmm.... that may tempt me to finally get the Wii version of it.

FYI, you can play PS1 games on any PS3.

Just finished up the main story mode (Save file time is about 11 hours) of Other M, and I'm working on the epilogue now. For those wondering if you can get 100% item collection during the main story line playthrough, the answer is a big NO.

FYI, you can play PS1 games on any PS3.
    See that I didn't know, I thought you could only play the ones you downloaded directly from the PSN Store.

EDIT: I just tried Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7 on my cousin's 40gb PS3.. Metal Gear is a no go, FFVII plays very choppy.. and I read various sites on the internet that certain models will not play PS1 games or will have problems playing it.
    Last edited by Spidey; September 1, 2010 at 08:50pm.
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

Finished up Other M with 100% item pickups. Total time was 14 hours. (But I tend to search areas very thoroughly to avoid backtracking) All I have left to do is play through Hard Mode.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I have to put it near the bottom of the franchise. To those curious, I'd rank the Metroid series as follows: (From best to worst, IMO)

Super Metroid/Metroid Prime 1 (I honestly cannot decide which I like better)
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Metroid: Zero Mission
    Metroid 2: The Return of Samus
    Metroid
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Metroid: Other M
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Prime Pinball
    Metroid Prime Hunters

The Good:
    • Lots of familiar/returning creatures & bosses from 8/16-bit games, as well as many new ones
    • Combat generally works well and is fun
    • New combat dodge & melee attacks are a blast
    • Save rooms are fairly abundant
    • Beginning the opening cutscene of the game with a final boss battle from another game=AWESOME
    • Current mission recap summary when loading a save file, in case you forgot what you were doing

The Bad:
    • In the end, having Samus speak and fleshing out her backstory made her come off as a weaker character than she's previously been portrayed
    • As I've said before, the powerup "unlocking" system chosen for this game is just goofy. I understand that they didn't want to keep having Samus lose her items and regain them AGAIN, but given the choice Team Ninja used, I'd have preferred the same-old-same-old
    • You WILL be attacked/injured by offscreen enemies & projectiles, with no control over the camera
    • Switching between 1st & 3rd person modes is cumbersome during battles. You're almost better off not using 1st person unless you have to. Had they gone for a Wiimote/Nunchuck control scheme, this could have worked by hitting a button to switch between the view modes
    • No missiles in 3rd person
    • You cannot move in 1st person, only look around
    • 1st person scanning sections can be insane. More than once, the game wants you to scan the equivalent of a needle in a haystack before you can move on
    • Completely linear, in contrast to the majority of series entries, where the focus was exploration. Currently, I haven't read of anyone "Sequence breaking", which has also been a staple of the series
    • When you find out the whole point of the epilogue, you'll want to shoot yourself in the head
    • Virtually no music throughout the entire game. There are some returning classic tunes, (Super Metroid opening theme during save file loading, NES menu theme updated for start menu) but I'd say 80% of the game has no music whatsoever
    • Cutscenes can be VERY long, and don't appear to be skippable. Not quite up to MGS standards, but noticeably long. I think 2-3 of them were approaching the 10 minute mark
    • Load times - Maybe it's just my launch system, as I've read that older Wiis can have difficulty reading dual layered games. (Of which there are only 3-Smash Bros, Prime Trilogy and this) It almost seemed like 2/3 of the time when I got to a door, I had to wait like 10 seconds for the game to load the next room. Really kills the immersion factor, and I've never had load problems with Smash Bros or the Prime Trilogy-maybe my laser's going bad

The Mixed Bag:
    • Cool that you can completely refill your missiles at any time, but also takes away strategy, knowing you'll never run out. (Once I had 25, I stopped paying attention to how many I had left)
    • Pacing is very uneven. You'll go like 2 hours with no powerups, and then get like 3 in 10 minutes
    • Personal preference, but I miss the enemy scanning from the Prime Trilogy. I always thought it was kind of cool to unfold all the details on creatures, specifically weaknesses. You can still use tried & true methods of trial and error to discern weaknesses & strategies well enough
    • The difficulty is quite unbalanced. Most normal enemies go down easy enough, but there are a few that pop up that will have you beating your head against a wall until you figure out how to take them down. Bosses were all pretty much a joke, with the exception of 2.

Even though it looks like I'm ragging on the game more than I'm praising it, I'd still say it's worth playing, but I'd highly recommend renting or borrowing it before dropping $50+tax for it. I'd say the sweet spot for this is $20-$30.

The Japanese are getting a Super Mario Collection for the WII, similar to Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES I believe: http://www.destructoid.com/retail-su...n-182976.phtml

I hope that they release it here, and more importantly I hope they're updated graphics ala New Super Mario Bros Wii

The Japanese are getting a Super Mario Collection for the WII, similar to Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES I believe: http://www.destructoid.com/retail-su...n-182976.phtml

I hope that they release it here, and more importantly I hope they're updated graphics ala New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Interesting. I wonder what kind of graphical updates there will be. I mean, I'm assuming that they will go beyond the SNES graphics of the "All-Stars" update. I wonder if it will be full 3D graphics like New Super Mario.

The only thing that I don't like is that it only lists the 4 games that originally came on the All-Stars set. I wish it would also include Super Mario World, and maybe even a graphically updated/enhanced Super Mario 64. That would bring the older "primary" Mario games up to date with the newer ones (there's little point in giving 'Sunshine' a makeover since graphically it's not that far off from the Wii's graphics and the Gamecube disc still works on Wii).

At any rate, I do hope this gets a USA release.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I just rented Metroid the Other M to clobber over the Labor Day weekend. Is it really that short or are you that good? 11 hours?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I just rented Metroid the Other M to clobber over the Labor Day weekend. Is it really that short or are you that good? 11 hours?
    No, it's that short. By having the game set up to be completely linear, you don't really waste time backtracking looking for stuff.

Bah! I have a love/hate relationship with finding good deals that are too good to pass up but still require me to spend money that I wasn't planning on spending!

I was at Best Buy yesterday picking up a Blu-Ray movie, and decided to walk around the video game section. I had been waiting to get DJ Hero until the price dropped, and they had it there (the complete set with the turntable and the game) for $40 for all 3 systems. I picked it up for 360 since I have the rest of my music game on it.

Wow. Duke Nukem Forever is actually happening. Jump to about 56mins for footage:

If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Smackdown Vs. Raw 2k11 Bonuses announced

From 411mania
    Retail Incentives For WWE Smackdown Vs. RAW 2011
    Posted by Jeffrey Harris on 09.01.2010

THQ announced ways for consumers to get exclusive WWE stars, ring gear options, arenas, and much more.

THQ Inc. announced on Monday some new retail incentive programs for the US and Canada releases of WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011. Bret Hart, WWE Legend and Hall of Famer, will be a playable character for all consumers who pre-order the game on Xbox 360 and PS3 at Best Buy in the US or any major retailer in Canada. PS3 and Xbox 360 owners can also get the "Ministry of Darkness" entrance attire for the Undertaker if they purcahse the game at Toys R Us while supplies last. Three alternate attire options will also be available for Randy Orton by ordering on Amazon.com: t-shirt, suit, and referee uniform. Walmart will be offering a "Tribute To The Troops" playable arena by purchasing the game on all platforms also while supplies last. Retail incentive programs will be announced for other regions such as Europe later this year.

WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2011 is due out on the Xbox 360, PS3, PS3, PSP, and the Wii on October 26.
    I'm probably part of the problem here, but this year's game looks like it may be the first considerable upgrade since svr2k6

The physics are supposed to have a lot more realism this time around. They say objects won't have "Canned" animations. Every time you put someone through a table, or hit them with an object it's supposed to break differently.
    They promised more arena interaction, and better back stage integration.
    Supposedly the CAW modes are vastly improved. The "Used buyers have to pay to play on our servers" thing is going to hurt an otherwise pretty decent game though in my opinion.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Smackdown Vs. Raw 2k11 Bonuses announced

I'm probably part of the problem here, but this year's game looks like it may be the first considerable upgrade since svr2k6

The physics are supposed to have a lot more realism this time around. They say objects won't have "Canned" animations. Every time you put someone through a table, or hit them with an object it's supposed to break differently.
    They promised more arena interaction, and better back stage integration.
    Supposedly the CAW modes are vastly improved. The "Used buyers have to pay to play on our servers" thing is going to hurt an otherwise pretty decent game though in my opinion.
    I hate those stupid pre-order things. They should just be included in the game from the get go.