Page 333 of 351 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343 ... LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,325 of 8761

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

I thought this was funny, considering it actually works:

guinness-nes-large.jpg

Oh, and the newest rumors say the Nextbox will use Blu-Ray...
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post

if true it gives me very little reason to buy a ps3. its funny as I was REALLY gearing up to get one.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I will believe it when I see it, Sony will love it though because they make money either way owning a large portion of the Blu-Ray tech and patents
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I will believe it when I see it, Sony will love it though because they make money either way owning a large portion of the Blu-Ray tech and patents
    Wow - and even more M$ experimentation rumors:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217257p1.html

I'd be surprised to see if they could pull this off. As one who doesn't buy used games for current systems, the current gen used game market (ie. Gamestop) is not something I support. HOWEVER, if that applies to borrowing/lending games from/to friends, or taking away the ability to bring games to a buddy's house, I have even LESS reason to buy the new system. (I barely play my 360 anymore as it is...) And what about rental companies like Gamefly or Redbox?

I seriously don't think they'll be able to go that far without serious backlash. Looks like we're stuck with the online passes...

Wow - and even more M$ experimentation rumors:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217257p1.html

I'd be surprised to see if they could pull this off. As one who doesn't buy used games for current systems, the current gen used game market (ie. Gamestop) is not something I support. HOWEVER, if that applies to borrowing/lending games from/to friends, or taking away the ability to bring games to a buddy's house, I have even LESS reason to buy the new system. (I barely play my 360 anymore as it is...) And what about rental companies like Gamefly or Redbox?

I seriously don't think they'll be able to go that far without serious backlash. Looks like we're stuck with the online passes...
    Yeah I was not too happy when I read that note, it will be interesting to see how it would also impact rentals from video stores or Gamefly/Redbox

I don't really see how they can pull that off, online play limited to new purchases maybe but controlling offline?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I'm against having to buy new. For instance I purchased the UFC game (forgot the year, but with Brock on the cover) new for me and my family to play. I left it at my brother's house for the kids. With 4G MIFI my brother can now get on XBL and we can play together. I went and bought some used copies of some games that I had so we will have two copies so we can play each other. I put in the UFC game and if did not buy it new (it comes with a code), you have to buy a code on XBL so you can play on XBL. My thought process is "I have to pay to play on XBL to begin with....I'm not paying more".
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I'm against having to buy new.
    To each their own - Personally, my backlog is big enough that unless it's a major title that I've been dying to play at launch, (ie. Arkham City, etc...) I can wait for the new copy price drops.

My thought process is "I have to pay to play on XBL to begin with....I'm not paying more".
    That's exactly why I haven't had a XBL Gold Membership in like 3 years. While all the bells and whistles they continually add to LIVE are cool and all, I don't/wouldn't use them, so to me, it purely came down to "pay to play" online. I don't play that much online multi, so $50 a year wasn't worth it to me when PSN is free to play online. Not saying it's a better/worse quality service, I just prefer to have an extra $50 in my wallet each year.

Online passes don't bother me, as I typically only purchase new copies, (Had enough issues trying to play rental games/DVDs that were scratched enough they didn't work well to keep me on the new copy path) so long as they are handled similar to the way Mortal Kombat/Arkham City were, where the code is included w/a new copy.

Ideally, I'd love to go back to the old days, where everything was included on disc from the get go, but sadly thanks to the DLC phenomenon, that way will never be around again. I just hope that digital distribution/cloud gaming holds off for another generation or 2. I'm still tied to physical media...

To each their own - Personally, my backlog is big enough that unless it's a major title that I've been dying to play at launch, (ie. Arkham City, etc...) I can wait for the new copy price drops.
    Anymore you don't have to wait long, for Christmas my in-laws were able to get my Arkham City and Uncharted 3 at Toys R Us for $25 each which is more than 50% off. Arkham City had been out for 14 days at that point

I bought 2 new games all of last year, one was Warhammer 40k Space Marine and the other was Star Wars The Old Republic. But that is down from about 10-20 titles in 2010. After seeing games I paid $50-60 for drop to $19 in less than 60 days I decided enough money had been wasted

Online passes don't bother me, as I typically only purchase new copies, (Had enough issues trying to play rental games/DVDs that were scratched enough they didn't work well to keep me on the new copy path) so long as they are handled similar to the way Mortal Kombat/Arkham City were, where the code is included w/a new copy.
    Online passes on a free system (like the regular PSN or Nintendo's Wifi) are understandable so you can pay for the servers maintenance. But for those XBL it was completely ridiculous, they are providing the connection and you are paying for it. I was amazed that not only that idea was put into motion but people actually bought new confirming it was a good idea

Ideally, I'd love to go back to the old days, where everything was included on disc from the get go, but sadly thanks to the DLC phenomenon, that way will never be around again. I just hope that digital distribution/cloud gaming holds off for another generation or 2. I'm still tied to physical media...
    The saddest thing is a lot of the DLC is still on the freaking disc!!! They make you now buy the code to unlock the contents they included instead of just making them unlocked from the get go

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While I prefer to buy new and do so more frequently (even if it means waiting for a price drop), I'm not against buying used on the principle of it or anything like that. More of than not, when the occasion that I buy used does arrise, it's typically something that came out a while ago that I either can no longer find new copies of in most stores. For example, when I finally got a PSP a couple of years ago, there were a bunch of Capcom titles that I wanted to get for it that had come out a couple of years earlier. Some of them I did manage to find new in stores, and fairly cheap to (I think on average they were $10 to $15). But there were a few that I ended up buying used at Gamestop just for lack of too many other options.

Also at times I will buy used if for instance there's a game that's been out for a while that I want to get, but the new copies are in the (IMO) horrible looking greatest hits packaging, and the only way I can find the original packaging it to get it used.

If they are able to pull of this no used games thing, it's just going to be even less of a reason for me to get the next Xbox than I already have. Frankly most of the games that I have for my 360 are also available for PS3. There's only a couple a few things that I have that didn't come out on PS3 (in some cases they are available on PS2 due to 360 coming out a year before PS3... in other cases they just didn't get released elsewhere like the original TMNT arcade game). My biggest reason for even hanging onto my Xbox 360 is that my entire Guitar Hero and Rock Band game collection and peripherals are on it since I started buying those before I had a PS3 and started buying games for it, and I don't feel like rebuying them.

What concerns me about this move (assuming that they even pull it off) is what happens if I buy a game new, but the disc gets scratched or something, and I buy a used copy to replace it? Will the system "detect" that it's not the same copy? That would be pretty stupid. Honestly I'm not thrilled with the direction that gaming technology is heading in, and it may eventually prompt me to either quit the hobby completely, or become very selective about what I buy. Especially if they are going to prevent long terms access by making it impossible for used games to be usable on the system, or by things eventually going DLC only, in which it will be impossible to redownload something after the content/system is no longer supported some time further down the road. Speaking as someone who still has all of his sytems going back to the Atari 2600, long terms access means a lot to me. I'm not really one to trade things in, but I appreciate the market for trade ins that allows relpacement copies and access to games that I just missed out on when they were new to be avaialble.

While I don't have EVERY gaming system ever made (I never bothered with the likes of Turbo Graphics 16, 3DO, Jaguar, or Neo Geo), from about the mid 80s and onward, I've had all of the major mainstream consoles (as well as a few consoles and add-on units that fizzled out). Unless something really, REALLY drastic happens to prompts me to change my mind, this new generation of systems might be the first time that I don't own all of the major competing systems. Granted, anything could happen... I mean I did go into this current generation being very pro-Xbox and thinking that I wouldn't even bother with PS3. But given Microsofts comparatively much more restrictive practices (i.e. being able to only download a game to play offline to one console, while having to be online to play on another) and having to pay for online access, I'm expecting more of the same plus escelation this next time around. And since there's little in the way of exclusive content on Xbox 360 that I care about, I don't see that changing. I'll likely get the Wii U, and possibly Sony's as long as it is good, solid, and won't follow some of these practices that M$ is suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Online passes on a free system (like the regular PSN or Nintendo's Wifi) are understandable so you can pay for the servers maintenance. But for those XBL it was completely ridiculous, they are providing the connection and you are paying for it. I was amazed that not only that idea was put into motion but people actually bought new confirming it was a good idea

The saddest thing is a lot of the DLC is still on the freaking disc!!! They make you now buy the code to unlock the contents they included instead of just making them unlocked from the get go
    Well, even on a system like Xbox 360 where you have to pay for access to Xbox Live Gold, I would still prefer something like this online pass system with the games over simply not being able to play a used game. I do fundamentally agree with you that it is absurd getting charged that much extra just to play online, and it does make more sense on a system that otherwise allows the online access at no cost, but it is the lesser of two evils.

And I'm not a fan of DLC... regardless of whether it's on the disc and an unlock code is needed, or if it needs to actually be downloaded. Granted, the latter isn't as insuling as the former, but it still sucks either way. I have downloaded some DLC over time, but I'm still not a fan of the overall concept. It will be interesting to see what happens when these current systems and their Downloadable Content are no longer supported (not even to redownload for those who already paid fo the content). I'm sure that's going to cause quite the uproar. And I imagine once the systems are no longer supported and the thread of being banned from the online networks is no longer an issue, the hackers are going to have a field day with making sure people have access to their content for some time to come, which will just create more contraversy.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 26, 2012 at 02:31pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Evil Master of Warcraft
    To each their own - Personally,
    Sorry my statement of "I'm against having to buy new" came across wrong. I meant to say I have no problem with buying new, but I don't want to be forced into doing so by not having any used games available. Some games I don't think are worth 60 bucks, but I wouldn't mind playing them for 15 a little down the road and used.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

If anyone is using the XBL cloud system, DON'T. I tried using it when I upgraded to a new system this weekend (I still had the old white first gen white one). I lost about 30 saves on it that I can't get back. Should've used a flash drive instead.

As for cheap games, most games eventually go down to 20 or even 10 dollars new in a couple of years. I am a fan of dlc WAY down the road that is obviously created after game launch on "great" games. For the most part, I agree, dlc is a way of squeezing pennies out. I find it funny people get angry over the fact that gaming is a business for a hobbie, not a charity.
    Last edited by Southzen; January 28, 2012 at 07:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    As for cheap games, most games eventually go down to 20 or even 10 dollars new in a couple of years.
    Couple of years? Most games today drop down to cheap prices in less than a year. A lot of games drop in price within the same year they were released.

I have known games to do a serious price drop within 2 months
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I think people's problem with DLC isn't that it costs money but how much it costs sometimes. Items that are novelty for 2-3 bucks? Then a side adventure that costs 10 bucks and lasts for 30 minutes?

Price drops are just hard to determine, I have the same problem with movies. That is when is it going to happen, a month later? 3? 6? 12? Which what makes movies worse is if they can still be found in store at the time of price drop. But what is funny is finding used versions that cost more than the new ones after a price drop. Also if you watch most games they do have some early sales, I got Alice 2 for 7 bucks off steam around Christmas time and got the Arkham City and Asylum two pack for 28 bucks at Walmart when they marked it down for black Friday.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Couple of years? Most games today drop down to cheap prices in less than a year. A lot of games drop in price within the same year they were released.
    I was just giving a generous time. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I think people's problem with DLC isn't that it costs money but how much it costs sometimes. Items that are novelty for 2-3 bucks? Then a side adventure that costs 10 bucks and lasts for 30 minutes?
    Yeah, I agree with this for the most part. Look at things like alternate costumes for Super Street Fighter IV or Marvel VS. Capcom 3. They are charging something like $4 or $5 per "pack" which comes with alternates for 4 or 5 characters, and then there's several packs. An extra $20 to $30 total just to have something that in previous fighting games were either a default option or something unlockable that you gain while playing? Yeah, that's a rip off. Not to mention that there's the long-term access concern as I mentioned in my previous rant.

While I don't want the price of games to go up, I would much rather pay an extra $10 or so upfront for the cost of the disc if they could just simply include the extra content on it. And frankly in the case of Marvel VS Capcom 3, given that they went and released the Ultimate upgrade version less than a year after the original release, IMO they should have at the very least included the extra costumes and similar cosmetic features as part of the Ultimate game from the get-go.

Simpsons Arcade hits PSN on 2/7 - FREE for PS+ members!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217595p1.html

I've heard mixed things about PS+ and just want to get this straight....

My understanding (which may not be accurate) is that if you have PS+, anything that you buy at a special discounted PS+ member price is still yours to keep when/if the PS+ membership should ever expire, but anything that you download for free as a PS+ member (which non-members have to pay for) you will lose access to when/if the membership expires. Is this true? I am hoping that I am mistaken on the latter and that any free downloads are still available should the membership expire.

I really can't see myself constantly paying for PS+ access, but there's enough available now with discounts and freebees that I might be tempted to sign up for a little while just to get those and then let the membership expire, but only if I can keep access to that stuff after it expires.

When your subscription expires you no longer can play the free stuff. Last year they gave out free subs for a month, and it was a big issue. Of course most of the free stuff at that time was stuff like premium themes and avatars.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I've heard mixed things about PS+ and just want to get this straight....

My understanding (which may not be accurate) is that if you have PS+, anything that you buy at a special discounted PS+ member price is still yours to keep when/if the PS+ membership should ever expire, but anything that you download for free as a PS+ member (which non-members have to pay for) you will lose access to when/if the membership expires. Is this true? I am hoping that I am mistaken on the latter and that any free downloads are still available should the membership expire.

I really can't see myself constantly paying for PS+ access, but there's enough available now with discounts and freebees that I might be tempted to sign up for a little while just to get those and then let the membership expire, but only if I can keep access to that stuff after it expires.
    I initially only signed up for PS+ for the online cloud storage for game saves after my 60GB model died and had to go through hell and back to recover my save data. (I do back up externally, but there are some games with copyright protected save data that can only be backed up via the cloud)

You're correct on downloads - Anything you pay for is yours forever (theoretically) no matter what you paid. (Plus discounts or not) Anything you download free as a PS+ perk you keep as long as your Plus membership is active. If your membership expires, you lose access to those freebies. If you ever renew your membership after it expires, you get all those freebies back.

Thanks for the clarification. I was consiering maybe just getting a 3-month membership and downloading the Simpsons for free and also to take advantage of other current freebies/discounts, but I'll hold off for now. I may still try it out at some point even for just the discounted items, but not right now.

This may be a stupid question, but if you have a PS+ membership, for the content that is free for PS+ users, do they give you the option to pay for it if you want to keep it long term? Or does it just "default" to being free if you have PS+, with no option to select the "pay and keep it 'forever'" until when/if your PS+ membership expires?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but if you have a PS+ membership, for the content that is free for PS+ users, do they give you the option to pay for it if you want to keep it long term? Or does it just "default" to being free if you have PS+, with no option to select the "pay and keep it 'forever'" until when/if your PS+ membership expires?
    Not entirely sure, but I think that as long as it's currently on promotion for free, that's what it defaults to. Once the PS+ free promo has ended (The time + users can download it for free) I *think* you can go in and add it to your cart and pay for it outright, but don't quote me on that...

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    So I've decided to get a 360 with part of my tax refund, but after the problems people have had with the RROD in the old unit I am a bit wary. Do the newer slim models have any similar system failure problems? And can anyone recommend any good games exclusive to the 360? (Not interested in Halo or Gears of War)
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by transfan80 View Post
    So I've decided to get a 360 with part of my tax refund, but after the problems people have had with the RROD in the old unit I am a bit wary. Do the newer slim models have any similar system failure problems? And can anyone recommend any good games exclusive to the 360? (Not interested in Halo or Gears of War)
    Well there's FORZA.

But the bulk of it's library outside of Halo and GoW are multiplatform titles you can get for Windows, PS3, and in some cases Wii

Some of the bigger ones include:

Call of Duty series
    Battlefield series
    Street Fighter series
    Mortal Kombat series
    Saints Row series
    GTA series
    Soul Calibur IV, V
    Bulletstorm
    Dead Space series
    Dead Rising series
    Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
    Mirrors Edge
    Goldeneye reloaded
    Bayonetta
    Vanquish
    Red Dead Redemption
    LA Noire
    Deus Ex
    The Orange Box
    Portal 2
    American McGee's Alice: Madness Returns
    Lost Planet Series
    Carnival Games (Requires Kinect)
    Elder Scrolls series
    Rocksteady Batman games
    Mass Effect series
    Just Cause 2

If you buy the NEW version of the 360 there is almost no risk of getting an RROD.
    Just remember you have to pay your $60 a year to play multiplayer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picked up Choplifter HD off of Steam. I expected it to be shovelware drivel but
    for some reason decided to try it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised with it though.
    It recaptures the feel of the classic Apple/Commodore/Atari computer game
    but adds some new mission types that keep it from feeling too samey, and yet not
    so different they don't fit the playstyle. The price should have been $10 instead of $15
    but all in all, not a bad budget title. It's also on XBL/PSN.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; February 6, 2012 at 12:10am.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    Not a racing fan, so Forza's out-plus I have the other two consoles. Any other features that may interest me?
    Be who you are, not what's cool.