Page 347 of 351 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,675 of 8764

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Just saw this over at Joystiq -- the Xbox 1 is not backwards compatible with the X360 and any Xbox Live Arcade purchases will not transfer to the Xbox One.

Microsoft's minty-fresh Xbox One will be unable to play Xbox 360 discs, nor will your multitude of Xbox Live Arcade purchases transfer to the new machine, our friends at Engadget have learned.

The incompatibility is due to the fact that the Xbox One runs on x86 processor architecture, whereas the Xbox 360 ran on PowerPC. This fundamental difference in hardware architecture prevents the Xbox One from natively running Xbox 360 games, regardless of how powerful the thing may be.

"We care very much about the investment people have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future," a Microsoft representative told Engadget. Part of that investment will transfer, however: Your Xbox Live Gamerscore.

Earlier this year, Sony also announced that its PlayStation 4 will make the jump to a processor built on the x86 platform.
    Disappointing news for current X360 owners [those looking forward to the PS4 are in a similar no backwards compatibility boat, at least for PS3 games], you'd think at least some Xbox Live Arcade purchases would be transferable. It'll be interesting following the comments on the gaming blogs where a very vocal contingent has continually bashed Nintendo & the Wii U, and yet Wii U owners are still able to any of Wii games they may own.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; May 21, 2013 at 03:09pm.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm not entirely surprised about the lack of backwards compatibility, but it is disappointing.

And get ready for the bigger problem that will certainly result from this. Since you can't transfer XBLA content to the Xbox One, this means that when (not if, when) Microsoft stops supporting the Xbox 360, which will likely include network support, there will be no way to recover your DLC if your system dies, crashes, RRODs, etc. Even if you buy a replacement second hand console, you're basically screwed.

The same will likely apply to PS3 DLC on PS4.

I'm hoping when this comes to pass, more people will wake up to what an issue this really is going to be going forward and push back, but I'm not counting on it.

And now with Xbox One, as per the article I posted a page back (and I've since seen others confirming the same), you have to install all of the games on the hard drive. And if the disc is used in another system on a different account, you have to pay a separate fee. While the fee sucks, that's not my concern.... what this means is that one day when that system is no longer supported, if the system dies, you lose access to EVERYTHING! Potentially thousands of dollars (depending on how many games you "buy") down the toilet all in one shot.

No thanks. We'll see how things pan out with PS4, though the rumors surrounding it haven't been great either.

I'm not liking the way the future of gaming is looking.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Not very well versed in video games & consoles, but this is not sounding good to my (admittedly pedestrian gamer) viewpoint. I buy so few video games (maybe three a year, max?) that if I can't play the older games, I'd be buying a new console for what - 1, 2 games? Definitely not worth it to me.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The Xbox One has me pretty excited. I'm going to stay loyal to Microsoft for the next gen aswell it seems.
    I was underwhelmed. I was underwhelmed with the Wii U, and PS4 reveals too. But Microsoft a little more so.
    None of the games except for maybe Forza 5 impressed me. The Kinect stuff didn't wow me.
    I already knew the company wanted to make the box more of a jack of all trades media box. That didn't bug me.
    Just that none of the stuff was that impressive. It was basically more of the same, just a little bit prettier.

The third party titles again will likely have a vastly superior Windows version available on Steam/GoG/D2D/Origin/UPlay for less.
    Save for maybe Halo, Gears, or Forza everything is on everything else.

(Before hating on me I mentioned the same about the PS4 during that reveal.)

Plus, these consoles are expected to cost a little bit less than a new system. ($400-$500 vs a $500 i5 PC w a mid tier video card)
    Everyone needs a computer anyway, these cards hook up to the TV with an HDMI cable, and you can comfy couch with the 360 (and I'm sure ONE) pad.
    I think many (Not all, but a lot) of folks who don't do a PS4, but aren't happy with the Xbox One will figure this out.

Also the CD-Key system is going to drive a lot of business away. I don't see a lot of people (Parents especially) liking the idea of buying a 3 year old used game then having to buy essentially a replacement key. Some dealt with it when it was a Pass for multiplayer going to THQ or EA (Who ditched it. Now we probably know why). But it wasn't for every game. This will probably send a lot toe PS4 or Steam.
    They may very well figure at that point on the computer you have a key tied to a store anyway. But at least with all the competition a sale will knock a $60 release to $30.

I'm sure there will be some cool stuff on Xbox One/PS4 you can't find on Windows or Wii U eventually. But the questions are, will people find Cd-Keys worth it?
    Will people find the exclusives are a high enough quality, and standard to spend $500 on it? I'm not certain they will.

I don't see them struggling AS BAD as Nintendo is post botched launch. But I don't see the average household getting excited about this or the PS4.
    The terrible economy is going to make it tough too. Even a lot who ARE hyped will find themselves skipping going out with friends, cutting out something of their budget,
    living on beans, and rice for a month to try to come up with enough cash.

For the first time since the Commodore 64/128, the computer is a serious alternative to consoles at a pretty close price point.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

I agree with pretty much everything you said, Deviot. And on top of that I would add that from my European perspective the US-centric approach bothers me quite a bit. The new entertainment-system features seem nice, but based on past generations I have little faith that they will apply in my country.

But still, I am excited. I've owned both previous Xbox's and I'm glad to see that Xbox One is pretty much on the same level with PS4. I know I'll be buying one of those and now with both being released I know Xbox One will be my choice. I don't care that much about the launch-titles or about the changes in the industry. I'm sure next-gen will receive many good titles during the upcoming years.

I do like Steam and pc-gaming, but I just like the simplicity of consoles. And with Steam-sales I have the bad tendency to buy too many games. At the moment I have tens of games that I haven't even gotten to play yet at my Steam account. On my Xbox I've played every game I have purchased. Often times less ends up being more, for me at least.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I'm so glad I now have a new gaming PC because I'm not buying this crap. I hate where the industry is going with all the DLC and whatnot, which will become useless on new consoles. Also, why would I pay money for Xbox Live when I can enjoy online gaming for free on my new PC? My new PC most likely already at the very least matches the graphics of the new systems.

I think it's time for console gamers to convert themselves into playing a PC game with Controller. =)
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Not very well versed in video games & consoles, but this is not sounding good to my (admittedly pedestrian gamer) viewpoint. I buy so few video games (maybe three a year, max?) that if I can't play the older games, I'd be buying a new console for what - 1, 2 games? Definitely not worth it to me.
    part of the problem with backwards compatibility is the fact it typically costs money to accomplish this and hardware space. The early PS3 could play PS2 games and emulate PS1 games. The difference is the first was hardware the second software. They then dropped the hardware so they can start with lowering the price and/or making a profit on their system. The PS1 being software based was left in since it cost little to no extra money.

Aside form the handheld market with gameboy playing games from the previous generation on your current console is fairly new (there might have been some older ones that did it that I am not thinking of atm). PCs even can end up with this problem. Windows 7 I know has the ability to play in XP mode but there are many older games you have to buy updated versions for or modify to work, there are however some sites online that have gone about doing this with games that may not have current licenses or in production for a small cost but typically remove the software when licensed versions comes out. The Baldur's gate series as I recall is like this.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

well I decided to get Darkstalkers Resurrection on the PS3 (thanks to a PS Plus Discount) and I really wish I hadn't because it turns out that I really really hate this game. It easily competes with Street Fighter IV for the title of worst fighting game EVER. I don't care if it is a waste of money because this is getting deleted
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Sony literally stomp Microsoft on this one, I mean literally!
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    well I decided to get Darkstalkers Resurrection on the PS3 (thanks to a PS Plus Discount) and I really wish I hadn't because it turns out that I really really hate this game. It easily competes with Street Fighter IV for the title of worst fighting game EVER. I don't care if it is a waste of money because this is getting deleted
    Street Fighter 4 is an awesome game. Spent many hours playing it. Online is great too.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Sony literally stomp Microsoft on this one, I mean literally!
    This is great, too...

I'm not happy that Sony is now charging for online gaming. People act like I should be grateful that we now pay for something that was free this gen. Well, I'm not grateful.

For now, I'm sticking with my new PC.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    I'm not happy that Sony is now charging for online gaming. People act like I should be grateful that we now pay for something that was free this gen. Well, I'm not grateful.

That's the thing, MS made money doing something, sony followed suit because it was proven to work, if MS fails with this shared games and online stuff it's an easy fix, if they don't fail, sony will probably introduce it too. competition can be great for consumers, but it can also result in a standard we don't like being implemented across the board. Companies should compete, consumers should band together.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    IMO the XBOX 1 is going to be a pile of poop. It's PS4 for me, I'm not down with getting reamed with fees left and right.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Great news, Nintendo Direct are available for replay in Youtube.

Nintendo just uploaded their video for the e3.

As far as the console vendors go it looks like Sony "won" E3. They won't have the DRM (Though I expect some publishers may keep their online passes for multiplayer going), Used games won't be an issue on it, Internet connections won't be a problem, and they're pricing it in between Microsoft, and Nintendo's consoles. It eats they decided to charge for PSN. But they probably figured they'ed take the majority of Microsoft's customers who are already used to paying for Live. On top of that it does look like Sony got PSN up to par with Live, showing a lot of the same navigation, and communication options. They didn't really have any must own exclusives to get me to buy it over upgrading my PC. The third party multiplats were also announced for PC so it's best for me to just keep gaming on my rig. But with that said, they easily stole the show.

I would say after the direct, Nintendo handily took second place by bringing it's big first party guns. Super Smash Bros 4, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, and Wonderful 101 look like the killer apps the Wii U desperately needs. Then they showed some minor third party improvements with getting the new Splinter Cell, Sleeping Dogs, among others. I wouldn't be surprised to see PS4 buyers and PC gamers pick up the Wii U as a secondary system too so long as that momentum continues. The system will probably never sell as many as the Wii did, but it looks like they can get a respectable enough showing that long term it's profitable.

Microsoft got it's ass kicked. There's no nice way to put it. They doubled down on all of the things customers didn't like about it. They did do as promised, and focused on games. But out of what they showed, none of the first party apps screamed system seller. They threw old timers a bone with Killer Instinct only to later announce it's a F2P model where you have to buy all of the characters to have a complete game at a presumably higher price. Halo will be fun sure, the new Forza looked ok. But none of the new IP's looked all that great. The one game that DID look really awesome was Titanfall. But EA will also be bringing that game to PC. The rest (BF4, CoDG, etc. etc.) will be on PC/PS4, and in many cases Wii U. Had they changed their minds on restrictive DRM, MAYBE it would have turned around public opinion. But as it stands only the most staunch Xbox fan will probably buy the thing. Most of the fanbase is probably moving to PS4 or PC.

But that's not the most important thing about E3. No that honor goes to Apogee for hiring Interceptor to bring back one of the PC's biggest cult classics (It's an oxymoron, but so so true.)

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/g...ns-walkthrough

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/w...-boss-gameplay

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/9...-1-walkthrough
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post

I don't really care about charging on Online Gaming, someone have to handle the server or cloud service.

It's alright that I'm going to pay a "service charge" for Sony.

And here's the Xbox One version of that PS4 used game instructional video that I posted earlier...

Well I bought "The Last of Us" and so far I am incredibly bored. I have the girl and I am killing soldiers and infected people out in the ruins of the old city (before anyone says it gets better once you get to the city) and all I can think is "this is sooooo boring"
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Well I bought "The Last of Us" and so far I am incredibly bored. I have the girl and I am killing soldiers and infected people out in the ruins of the old city (before anyone says it gets better once you get to the city) and all I can think is "this is sooooo boring"
    Huh. I don't have a PS3 but the little I played of TLOU seemed fun enough. The controls felt sluggish. I guess that would be my nitpick as they weren't bad. Just sluggish.
    The story is pretty decent for what it is too. I guess the only truly negative I could say other than sluggish movement is the fact I'm all zombied out. Zombies like vampires
    before them are played out. It's time for something else.

Also I'm stoked that ROTT finally has a release date. END OF THIS MONTH:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/01/ri...-get-throwbac/

You get the original game, and the two Blake Stone games as a freebie for pre purchasing.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; July 2, 2013 at 12:55am.
    The Deviot

-?

ALERT ALERT

STEAM SALE.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    ALERT ALERT

STEAM SALE.

Yep! Picked up a few great deals to e-gift at Christmas time/birthdays.

Bought myself Chivalry for $6

If you haven't played it you should.

The Deviot

-?

Nice Deviot, I can't wait for Black Friday sales later on November, or Winter Sale on December.

Good news,

Moon Theme has emerged in youtube.

Chivalry hit 1.2 million copies sold in 9 months
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650399
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Deviot

-?