Page 4 of 351 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt
    WHAT A RIP OFF.

$299 USD = $339 CAD

Looks like I'm driving to Buffalo on launch day. (I guess it will cost about 399 though if i factor in lunch and gas money.)
    1. Nintendo never released an official price only that it would be under $250

2. It's SEVEN ELEVEN! These are the guys who charge six bucks for a pack of five Yu Gi Oh cards! It's a CONVIENENT STORE! EVERYTHING IS JACKED! But you'll pay it because "It's one in the morning, nothing else is open, and I have to have it NOW!"

I'm sure it'll sell at 7-11, but I just wouldn't be shocked about a price hike there.
    Convienent stores reserve the right to overprice everything.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Keep in mind, though, that $299 could be an MSRP, which tend to be higher than what the items actually cost in stores.

Plus, since the price of the system hasn't officially been announced, they could be just erroring on the side of a higher price point for what the value of the prize is in this contest.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Hmm..

Well geuss what it's not just Sony. It's MS and Nintendos turn to go to court for their controllers.

A CASE started in a Texas district court a few days back alleging that Nintendo and Microsoft had breached a game controller patent. Or two. Or more.

Anascape Ltd, a firm based in Texas, alleges that Nintendo and Microsoft breached patent number 5,999,084, called "Variable Conductance Sensor" and issued to Brad Armstrong in 1999.

The firms are also alleged to have breached patents 6,102,802 - "Game Controller with Analog Pressure Sensor", and 6,135,886, "Variable Conductance Sensor with Elastomeric Dome Cap" as well as 6,208,271 "Remote Controller with Analog Button".

No, we're not finished yet. Anascape alleges 6,222,525 "Image Controller with Sheet Connected Sensors" was also breached, as well as 6,343, 991 "Game Control with Analog Pressure Sensor" and 6,344,791 "Variable Sensor with Tactile Feedback".

As well as 6,347,997 "Analog Controls Housed with Electronic Displays", 6,351,205 "Variable Conductance Sensor" (a different one) and 6,400, 303 "Remote Controller with Analog Pressure Sensor" (a different one).

Then there's 6,563,415 "Analog Sensor with Snap Through Tactile Feedback". And lastly, but not leastly, there is 6,906,700 "3D Controller with Vibration".

If you've got this far you won't be surprised to learn that Anascape Ltd wants a court to rule Nintendo and Microsoft owe it a lot of money

http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/anascape.pdf

But MS isn't worried cause as far as they are concerned Wii and PS3 aren't even in the running.

Stephen McGill, UK head of Xbox marketing, is chock full of confidence for this upcoming holiday showdown with the PlayStation 3 and Wii. Speaking with MCV, McGill seems to have the confidence of a superhuman ready to take on the world. Check out these choice quotes:

* "We'll have an installed base of around ten million plus before they launch. We had a terrific E3 that showed what a great future Xbox 360 has, that we're the only place for the breadth and depth of choice for games and it dispelled a lot of the myths around PS3."
    * "We're now ramping up with our partners and you'll see our marketing campaigns continue to pick up pace over the coming months. We're very confident."
    * "We've got so much to talk about: 160 high definition games on 360. A ten million plus installed base head start. Games for everyone including Gears of War, Pro Evolution Soccer, Viva Piñata, Xbox Live Arcade, Forza 2, Rainbow Six and Dead or Alive Extreme 2, to name but a few. Then there's the promise of being the only place to get Halo 3."
    * "Xbox 360 is the only place gamers can have such a great choice of gaming and entertainment and we intend to sing about that very loudly from the roof tops."
    * "I'm very confident this is going to be another Xbox Xmas."

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=24233

What are they smoking at MS. Seriously. They always have something to say even though more and more developers are following MS lead and dropping the Xbox. They have alot of confidence for dropping the ball on Backwards compatiability. And the very few games that are BC can't even use game saves.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    What the heck is Anascape Ltd, and how did the get all these patents? You know Microsoft will just buy their way out of this like the last time.

And what is up with Microsoft. I love the 360, but man some of those guys are on some serious crack.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    What the heck is Anascape Ltd, and how did the get all these patents? You know Microsoft will just buy their way out of this like the last time.

And what is up with Microsoft. I love the 360, but man some of those guys are on some serious crack.
    It must be some strong stuff since they are gonna sell 6 million units in the next 3 months to make those statements fact. Which is gonna be quiet a feat since right now as it stands PS2 has been outselling it for months. On that note the PSP and the DS are also outselling it. Hmm.. wonder how they are gonna pull this one off esp. with out a killer app. And No Backwards compatibility with the first Xbox. I mean they all but dropped it and the ones that do work (word used loosely) aren't very fun to play since it's not smooth and the previous saves aren't compatiable on the 360. So if you can get them to work you have to start all over on them. No thanks.

Well hopefully no one lives in Brazil and wants a Wii.

During a recent games convention in São Paulo, Brazil (pictured), a representative of Lamatel (Nintendo's Latin American distributor) announced that Wii will be released in Brazil during the first week of December to the tune of 1,400–1,500 Brazilian reais (roughly $640–$690). Ouch!

Use Google Translation.

http://www.gametv.com.br/story.show.chain?story.id=3179

*BRETT EDIT*
    PLEASE (!) Do not post back-to-back...

PS2/PSP Genesis collection

So theres a new Sega Genesis Collection exclusive to the PS2 and the PSP They are the same except the PSP has wireless multiplayer.

* Alex Kidd: The Enchanted Castle, Altered Beast, Bonanza Bros, Columns, Comix Zone, Decap Attack, Ecco the Dolphin, Ecco: The Tides of Time, Ecco Jr., Eternal Champions, Flicky, Gain Ground, Golden Axe, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III, Phantasy Star IV, Ristar, Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi, Shinobi III, Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Super Thunderblade, Sword of Vermillion, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, Virtua Fighter 2

There are also these unlockable games available on the PS2 only: Zaxxon, Tac/Scan, and Zektor.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152778

Theres some gems in there. I wouldn't have believed they could fit all that on a UMD but that was before I played Midway Arcade Treasures and Tekken Dark Ressurection. Man Those games are packed to the brim with content.

Finally, the solution to our problems.

PS3 vs. Wii - Apple Style!

MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

The video was ok the Comments ruled.

20 & 25 are hillarious. Cause she's innovative and all.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/11/th...of-ps3-vs-wii/

$149 PSP on it's way.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/11/comm...ney_commentary
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; August 11, 2006 at 08:27pm.

It's borderline mysoginistic, but I'll be damned if I didn't laugh. "HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF BLUE RAY!?!?!?!? IT'S THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!"
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Howdy

That video was quality, and surprising Nintendo got the nice bird as they have never really been percieved like that. I like the "I am large and in charge" and "HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF THE BLU-RAY?...ITS THE FUTURE" LOL, it was like a female Phil Harrison except more intelligent and doesn't condradict herself.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

The confirmed Wii launch lineup

* Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
    * Blitz: The League
    * Call of Duty 3
    * Cars
    * Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
    * Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
    * Elebits
    * Excite Truck
    * Far Cry
    * GT Pro Series
    * Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
    * The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    * Madden NFL 07
    * Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    * Metal Slug Anthology
    * Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    * Monster 4x4 World Circuit
    * Need for Speed: Carbon
    * Open Season
    * Rayman Raving Rabbids
    * Red Steel
    * SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
    * Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
    * Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
    * Trauma Center: Second Opinion
    * Wii Sports

http://www.nwizard.com/web/index.php...d=245&Itemid=2

Hmm Well Metroid will be fun and Zelda is basically just a multiplatform release with a different control scheme so that's doesn't really count. Well hopefully it won't take too long to bring out Smash Bros. & Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    * Call of Duty 3
    * Cars
    * Elebits
    * Excite Truck
    * Far Cry
    * GT Pro Series
    * Madden NFL 07
    * Metal Slug Anthology
    * Open Season
    * Rayman Raving Rabbids
    * Red Steel
    * Wii Sports

http://www.nwizard.com/web/index.php...d=245&Itemid=2

Hmm Well Metroid will be fun and Zelda is basically just a multiplatform release with a different control scheme so that's doesn't really count. Well hopefully it won't take too long to bring out Smash Bros. & Mario.
    That is a HUGE launch list.

Red Steal is the game that will be the one to watch from this list, IMO.

THis has got to be the best launch for Nintendo since SNES, just in terms of numbers. THe fact that both Zelda AND Metroid will also be launch games will be huge.

I know that I will pick up Zelda, Red Steal, Metroid, Wii Sports, Madden and maybe Excite Truck and Blazing Angels on launch day.

-Brett
    Who has been launched.

={+}=

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    I think Madden on the Wii could prove to be real interesting
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

I am officially on board with the Wii now. Check please.
    "What's this CAN'T stuff?! THERE AINT NO CAN'T!" -Mickey

* Call of Duty 3
    * Cars
    * Elebits
    * Excite Truck
    * Far Cry
    * GT Pro Series
    * Madden NFL 07
    * Metal Slug Anthology
    * Open Season
    * Rayman Raving Rabbids
    * Red Steel
    * Wii Sports
    Howdy

Well while I won't be able to get all the games I want this year, the ones I have got my eyes on are:

Call of Duty 3
    Far Cry
    Excite Truck
    Twilight Princess
    Marvel: Ulitimate Alliance
    Metroid Prime 3
    Red Steel
    Wii Sports

Although because I think they will work best weith normal control I will get Twilight Princess and Marvel: Ulitimate Alliance for the Gamecube.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

I personally will be getting a Wii. There's just too many good things to say about it, and I don't have an HD television so I won't be missing much (as if it matters anyways). Sure the graphics might not be as good as the other two systems, but it's not like the graphics will be bad.

As for the launch games, I'll definitely be getting Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Zelda, and probably Metroid too. Plus, I need to get a lot of Gamecube games too because of the backwards compatibility (I don't have any current system right now). Plus Mario is coming pretty soon.

I hope it gets released sooner than expected.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan2
    I am officially on board with the Wii now. Check please.
    I second that.

*Mocking* It's Blue-Ray. It's THE FUTURE. Meh-Meh-Meh!!!

Wasn't the Lazer Disk and 8-Tracks supposedly the future?

Along with UMD Video, I can't wait to see Blue-Ray go the way of the Beta tapes.
    www.myspace.com/positor

Check out my artwork, photography, etc.
    http://tlv-illustrations.deviantart.com/

Two things Gremlins fear the most. Sunlight and Hulkamania!

Quote Originally Posted by Positor
    I second that.

*Mocking* It's Blue-Ray. It's THE FUTURE. Meh-Meh-Meh!!!

Wasn't the Lazer Disk and 8-Tracks supposedly the future?

Along with UMD Video, I can't wait to see Blue-Ray go the way of the Beta tapes.
    Sony's Betamax is the 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) home videocassette tape recording format introduced in 1975 and derived from the earlier, professional 19.1 mm (0.75 inch) U-matic video cassette format. Like the video home recording system VHS introduced by JVC in 1976, it had no guard band, and used azimuth recording to reduce cross-talk.

The format was most popular in 1983, gaining almost a third of the UK video recorder market, while Sanyo celebrated the VTC5000 being the top selling UK video recorder. However, by 1985 the market had turned sharply towards VHS.

Sony's offer of Betamax in favour of JVC's VHS technology. They felt that it would end up like U-Matic deal: Sony dominating, and they get the scraps. By 1984, forty companies utilized the VHS format in comparison with Beta's twelve. Sony finally conceded defeat in 1988 when it too began producing VHS recorders. However, Sony may be said to have had the last laugh in this saga as its Video-8 small-format videotape is essentially a scaled-down version of the Betamax, and Video-8 dominated the home camcorder format for the next 15 years with the rival VHS-C format only gaining a small market share.

In the professional and broadcast video industry, Sony's Betacam, derived from Betamax as a professional format, became one of several standard formats; production houses exchange footage on Betacam videocassettes, and the Betacam system became the most widely used videotape format in the ENG (Electronic News Gathering) industry, replacing the 3/4" U-matic tape format,(which was the first practical and cost-effective portable videotape format for broadcast television, signaling the end of 16mm film -- and the phrase "film at eleven" often heard on the six-o-clock newscast, before the film had been developed). The professional derivative of VHS, MII, and RCA's RECAM, faced off against Betacam and lost. Once Betacam became the de-facto standard of the broadcast industry, its position in the professional market mirrored VHS's dominance in the home-video market.

Sony's Betamax is the 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) home videocassette tape recording format introduced in 1975 and derived from the earlier, professional 19.1 mm (0.75 inch) U-matic video cassette format. Like the video home recording system VHS introduced by JVC in 1976, it had no guard band, and used azimuth recording to reduce cross-talk.

The format was most popular in 1983, gaining almost a third of the UK video recorder market, while Sanyo celebrated the VTC5000 being the top selling UK video recorder. However, by 1985 the market had turned sharply towards VHS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

Ohh lordy Beta Max was such a flop cause we don't have beta max vcrs Oh Sony what wehere ya'll thinking. Ouch! So 10 years in homes, 15 years in camcorders, and becoming an industry standard beating out 3 competing formats is a flop huh. Well how do you like that.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; August 15, 2006 at 05:06am.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, with all due respect, AeroStratos88, when people are comparing VHS to Beta and talking about which was successful, they are refering to the home video market (meaning the way in which people watch movies at home, etc).

Sure, this camcorder format may have been based on the original Beta tapes and may have been successful, but it still essentially falls under a separate category than what people are refering to when they make fun of Beta and say that it failed. So, essentially you are grabbing at straws here to defend Sony.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

Ohh lordy Beta Max was such a flop cause we don't have beta max vcrs Oh Sony what wehere ya'll thinking. Ouch! So 10 years in homes, 15 years in camcorders, and becoming an industry standard beating out 3 competing formats is a flop huh. Well how do you like that.
    it is a flop. They tried to get dominance in the home market and they failed. whatever happens in the industry is completely separate. Sony didn't set out to fail in the mainstream and become only an industry standard...they set out to dominate the mass market and be the company that everyone pays royalties to for using their product. it was a failure because it failed to do what they had sought to do. that they were able to still utilize it was due to creative shifting. I can see this happening with blu-ray as well, because of the storage size it is VERY attractive for that purpose, but for home entertainment, epecially with the first crop of blu-rays looking TERRIBLE in comparrison to HD-dvds it so far feels like "why bother"

I haven't tried it personally, but guys, play Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii. That fishing video on IGN of the guy using the wii-mote is amazing. You'll want to play it on the Wii. Trust me.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

I haven't tried it personally, but guys, play Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii. That fishing video on IGN of the guy using the wii-mote is amazing. You'll want to play it on the Wii. Trust me.
    I pre-order Twilight Princess last year for Gamecube. Once I heard it was going to be on Wii and use the Wii-mote, I canceled the pre-order. Can't wait to get a Wii.

Hmm..

Microsoft hardware chief Rob Walker also mentioned that they had been testing prototypes of a motion-sensitive controller for the Xbox 360, but said that testers complained about fatigue after extended play. Despite this, Walker said they still haven't totally written off the idea of a motion-sensing controller for the Xbox 360 in the future.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/news...searchid=11691

Well if this is true then that means the PS3 and Xbox 360 will have similar controls and means Wii will be odd man out again.

Microsoft hardware chief Rob Walker also mentioned that they had been testing prototypes of a motion-sensitive controller for the Xbox 360,
    You've got to be kidding me.

but said that testers complained about fatigue after extended play.
    Fatigue from what? moving a controller around.

Wii Dev Kit

Anyone seen this thing. The pictures went down as fast as they went up.