Page 52 of 350 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 8736

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

  1. #1276
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Anyhow, on the IGN Insider Forums, someone created a thread that talked about his 360 getting the 3 red lights. So he covered the console with a towel, pretty much suffocating it. The only cord thing plugged into the 360 was the power cord. After 15 minutes, he removed the towel, let the system cool off, and he turned it on and it worked again.

    See, I didn't believe it until I actually did it. I was laughing like a crazy psychotic person when the dashboard came up. Unfortunately, it has started to freeze again, but I have yet to get the 3 lights. The guy said he did the towel method again so I think I'm gonna have to try it again.

    It's a crazy thing, but I've been posting on the .org for more than 5 years and I've yet to been called a liar.
    That reminds me of back on the NES you had to clean the cartridges with alcohol, or stack them on top of each other in the system to make them be read.

    Whatever works though, I remember back on my original PSX after playing CDR games there were times I had to hand reset the laser so it would read regular games
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  2. #1277
    Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    The PS3 shortage was for the Xmas holidays. The shortage has been over. Nobody has said that there is a shortage anymore.

    In fact, the reason why we see "so many" PS3's is because Sony shipped a ton right around New Years.

    We all know that Xbox has year up on on the PS3 in terms of titles, we also know that the Wii has a leg up on both systems because of its price.

    Look, the PS3 line-up right now is not to die for or even knick yourself for and that's what is hurting it the most right now.

    But the shortage isn't really over in terms of how quickly Sony is producing the system. They are still now, at this time, well short of the original number of systems that they had wanted to release between Launch and Christmas.

    And, as pointed out, many scalpers who were unsuccessful on ebay have returned their systems to the stores. And while Sony has been shipping more systems out since Christmas, most stores only get a small handful at a time, and that handful just sits there for the most part.

    Generall speaking, Nintendo is still shipping out a lot more Wii's than Sony is PS3's, and the Wii's aren't even hitting the shelf because they are selling so quickly. Is the price a factor? I'm sure it is. However, I also think that there's something much deeper than just price going on here. I think it's the fact that Nintendo has come up with something, new, unique, and fun is a big part of the reason. Whereas other game high-def and graphics bragging rights, the games for PS3 aren't much different than those for PS2... in fact the controller is almost the same.


    As for the launch line up, I'm sure the lack of any good games is not helping Sony sell the PS3s any faster. However, as I recall, the launch line ups for PS2 and for Xbox 360 were nothing to brag about either, but those systems still sold like gang-busters at launch and well past their respected launch-time-frame holiday seasons, and did very well on ebay during that time.

    And as for the Wii, other than Zelda (and maybe Wii Sports, which comes with the system and has been getting excellent reviews), most of the Wii launch line up is nothing to brag about. Sure, there is definately some fun stuff in there, and I even have a few other games for the system, but most are nothing to brag about outside of Zelda.

    And from the sounds of it, many 3rd party companies who were going to make certain titles exclusive to PS3 are now planning on releasing their games on other systems (no doubt due to them needing to sell a certain volume of games to make a good profit, and not having much potential to do so with PS3 with it selling much more slowly than expected). Virtua Fighter 5 from Sega was going to be PS3 exclusive, but is coming out for 360 later in the year. There's rumors that the new Metal Gear may not remain PS3 exclusive. And if the system doesn't penetrate the market sooner, then many other 3rd party companies may follow suit (and if one of those companies ends up being Square-Enix, that will be a HUGE blow to Sony).

    So yeah, you are right, there's not many great games at launch for the PS3. And if this trend of many of the games that would make PS3 great coming out on other systems happens and continues on, then there will be little reason to get the PS3 later on when you can play the same games elsewhere on systems that some people already own and are cheaper for people who don't own a newer system to purchase.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  3. #1278
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    You know I never understood why Sony did not have Square release a PS3 enhanced version of their newest Final Fantasy, similar to how Nintendo released a Wii specific Zelda even though it was a GC port in most senses

    The PS3 came out and then what a week later the newest Final Fantasy came out for PS2? I mean to me that is just horrid management as I would think you would want to showcase your $$$$ hardware with your AAA titles not say look we have a new system but continue to play your PS2 cause we are supporting it better

    And yes I know that you can play PS2 games on the PS3 (though how well is debated in regards to quality of graphics) but that did not stop Nintendo from ******* Zelda and moving a ton of product in the process

    It seems that the PS3 came when the PS2 was just not ready to die, I admit I want a PS3 when the price comes WAY down but I have yet to see it be better then the PS2 in how it plays or looks

    And with the rumors that Disney is going to take Kingdom Hearts from Square for internal development (which means multi platform city) and that the Mana series may be moving out to another company its makes you wonder, EA has set up a Wii specific branch for games like Madden and SSX Blur so the Wii also has that selling point that companies are trying to build games from the ground up and not be the Gamecube II where its just ports (which sadly is what most of the launch line up is , with few notable exceptions like Marvel UA and Rayman), I personally think that Sony has lost this round to Microsoft and Nintendo who dont really seem to be competing against each other (I have heard the buy both instead of a PS3 a lot lately around stores)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  4. #1279
    Movie Machine shigsy2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    3,199

    PS3 Launch date Europe?

    Howdy

    GamesRadar has learned that the launch date and price of the UK PlayStation 3 will be revealed in an announcement this Friday (19 January) - and if we're to believe the words of Howard Stringer in an interview posted on news.com today it's slipped to April.

    Asked the question "What are the goals this year for Sony?" Stringer replied "I think it's six million units by the end of the quarter, worldwide. And then we have got the European launch in April, which is very important to us".

    Up until now, speculative reports have picked up on information from advertising agency TBWA, which suggests a 23 March launch, while we plumped for March. If Stringer says April, though, we'll have to go with him - he is, after all the ultimate boss of Sony. However, it is of course possible he means the first week after the launch day, which if it was 30 March, would be in April.


    http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/gam...14132311609002

    Should this turn out to be true it just helps Nintendo and Microsoft.

    Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

  5. #1280
    kind of a big deal VaderLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lost in his own museum...
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You know I never understood why Sony did not have Square release a PS3 enhanced version of their newest Final Fantasy, similar to how Nintendo released a Wii specific Zelda even though it was a GC port in most senses
    Wasn't Square really, really against Sony's decision to make PS3 a Blu-Ray player? I could have sworn I heard something about how Square didn't want to develop games for PS3 because of that. Could be wrong, though.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

    "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

    Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

  6. #1281
    Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,071
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You know I never understood why Sony did not have Square release a PS3 enhanced version of their newest Final Fantasy, similar to how Nintendo released a Wii specific Zelda even though it was a GC port in most senses

    The PS3 came out and then what a week later the newest Final Fantasy came out for PS2? I mean to me that is just horrid management as I would think you would want to showcase your $$$$ hardware with your AAA titles not say look we have a new system but continue to play your PS2 cause we are supporting it better
    That's actually a really good point.

    Sony should have worked with Square to develop FFXII for both PS2 and PS3, with the PS3 version being more suped up for High Def graphics, etc.

    That just would have been perfect for them. FF has such a huge strong following that you know anyone who has the money and is really die-hard over it would have forked over the cash to get the PS3 system and that game with it (and, we probably wouldn't be seeing the PS3's sitting on the shelf right now either).

    And at the same time, since there still would be a PS2 version, anyone who just isn't hard die-hard of an FF/PS fan, or someone that just couldn't afford to buy a $600 system could still enjoy the game.

    There's a big difference between being able to play the PS2 version of FFXII on PS3 due to backwards compatibility, and just actually having a PS3 version of the game. (I mean, heck, technically if you have a Wii, you can play both the Wii and GCN versions of Zelda, so this would be no different).

    But, alas, they didn't do this, and it's costing them in the end.

    Granted, putting FFXII on PS3 probably wouldn't have guaranteed huge success, but it sure would have been a step in the right direction.


    Of course, though, if Sony and Square had done this an announced both versions of the game after Nintendo announced two versions of Zelda, then you know that it would just likely added to people further accusing Sony of being a copy-cat.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  7. #1282
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Of course, though, if Sony and Square had done this an announced both versions of the game after Nintendo announced two versions of Zelda, then you know that it would just likely added to people further accusing Sony of being a copy-cat.
    But in the end they would have some serious $$$, FF is probably one of their biggest sellers and for the "wow" value it would have moved units just as Zelda achieved an almost 90% move rate with the Wii (when it could be found)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  8. #1283
    Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,071
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    But in the end they would have some serious $$$, FF is probably one of their biggest sellers and for the "wow" value it would have moved units just as Zelda achieved an almost 90% move rate with the Wii (when it could be found)
    Absoltely. I completely agree with you on this.

    Sony should have pushed for some bigger launch titles. That at least would have helped balance things out. While other systems have gone on to be strong with a weak launch line up, having some strong launch titles can only help more in those cases, and definately help in cases where the system on its own isn't selling all that greatly.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  9. #1284
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,009
    FFXII was released in October. PS3 debuted in November.

    I also doubt the Wii being this super-fun system is what is making people buy it when I can barely find 2 people who have even played it. Price is a big deal in these harsh economic times. This isn't the 90s or early 2ks.

    But yea right now, with the PS3 library being like 30-games and none being too innovative, well...

  10. #1285
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    FFXII was released in October. PS3 debuted in November.

    I also doubt the Wii being this super-fun system is what is making people buy it when I can barely find 2 people who have even played it. Price is a big deal in these harsh economic times. This isn't the 90s or early 2ks.

    But yea right now, with the PS3 library being like 30-games and none being too innovative, well...
    You say October and November as if its a long period of time apart

    And you are right, nobody is denying the Wii is selling on hype, its certainly not mad ebay sales as you only gain around $100 profit after fees so it has to be word of mouth and keeping up with the neighbors, but somebody is buying them as stores get weekly shipments (they do we just never see them because the systems are sold out of the shipping boxes most times)

    Our dinky Target got 21 last week but sold out in under 1hr, unannounced to what scalpers? I dont really think so, just people wanting something others cant have or thats perceived as cool

    But then again ultimately when a company is asking you to pay $600+ as is the case of the PS3, shouldn't it be garnering the "wow" and "buy me so I can make myself look good" fans and not the cheap and what many fan boys of Sony consider subpar system??

    It seems to me that the only way the Sony will overtake its own creation the PS2 is to remove it slowly from the market because even 1 killer game on the PS3 wont make droves go and the backwards compatibilty arguement does not fly if the original system its being compatible with is barely over $100 (as you said we are in harsh economic times)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  11. #1286
    Heroic Warrior Mystical Musician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,135
    I've got the PS3 and the Wii. Although I have yet to play/open my Wii. I got the Wii more so for the virtual console games, and the future Super Mario Galaxy game. I've never been a big fan of Zelda, please don't flame, but its just not me. Anyways, I've been playing my PS3 and really like it, but they should have never made it Blu-Ray. IMHO thats whats going to sink that machine. They could have done similar to Microsoft, and released an addition for that and saved a lot on the cost. Will Sony sink because of this? Doubt it. Sony still has a huge backing, and with GTA and GT they will continue to have a loyal following. I do however things its crazy how expensive video game consoles have gotten. Bring back the days of old school Nintendo, and the Sega Genesis. The games where much better IMHO, and were more affordable. I'm just not a FPS kind of guy. Just love the old side scrollers.
    _____________________________________________
    he-man.org Trader/Seller feedback
    _____________________________________________

  12. #1287
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You say October and November as if its a long period of time apart

    And you are right, nobody is denying the Wii is selling on hype, its certainly not mad ebay sales as you only gain around $100 profit after fees so it has to be word of mouth and keeping up with the neighbors, but somebody is buying them as stores get weekly shipments (they do we just never see them because the systems are sold out of the shipping boxes most times)

    Our dinky Target got 21 last week but sold out in under 1hr, unannounced to what scalpers? I dont really think so, just people wanting something others cant have or thats perceived as cool

    But then again ultimately when a company is asking you to pay $600+ as is the case of the PS3, shouldn't it be garnering the "wow" and "buy me so I can make myself look good" fans and not the cheap and what many fan boys of Sony consider subpar system??

    It seems to me that the only way the Sony will overtake its own creation the PS2 is to remove it slowly from the market because even 1 killer game on the PS3 wont make droves go and the backwards compatibilty arguement does not fly if the original system its being compatible with is barely over $100 (as you said we are in harsh economic times)
    No, it is not a long period but I wanted to make sure we had our facts straight.

    And you're right, the fact that the PS2 is a viable system right now is making it hard for the PS3 to dig in its feet. Personally, I think the reason Wii is selling so well right now is because of its price point. Many people I know scoff at $600 for a system. Especially young families. The HDD/Blu-Ray thing right now isn't such a big issue because I am pretty sure people (regular Joe consumer) are happy with their regular DVD players.

    In a year or so, this may change.

    Question: Does MS even make games for the original Xbox anymore? And if they do, on what scale are games being released?

  13. #1288
    logo for life MattOnDemand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Question: Does MS even make games for the original Xbox anymore? And if they do, on what scale are games being released?
    There are games still coming out for Xbox 1.
    http://xbox.ign.com/index/release.html
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

    Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

  14. #1289
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    No, it is not a long period but I wanted to make sure we had our facts straight
    I am sorry, I had it reversed, FF came out 2 weeks (10/31) before the PS3 launched (11/17), that was such a supreme difference

    Is not much different then the Zelda Wii and Zelda Gamecube so my point was still valid as to the marketing idea.

    I agree though I think the $250-300 price tag is key especially since the Wii comes with a game (Wii Sports) so you can get 2 games for under $310

    The thing that really sold the PS2 and Xbox was the fact a DVD player was built in and now DVD players are $25-30 at Walmart and other stores so you are correct on the Blu-Ray/HD assesment since most "normal" people still have not moved over to HD (though I suspect by the end of this year that will change as I have already seen $298-300 HDTV's)

    But in the end we will all see if the PS3 can move out from behind the PS2 and move ahead of the Xbox360 , I dont think anybody has illusions the Wii will be the #1 console in the end but its nice to see Nintendo getting some attention

    Isnt it ironic that Sony in the most basic of terms is fighting itself? I mean they probably could have sold the PS2 as their only console for another year with some of the games that are coming and then released the PS3 when the cost of HD sets was down (due mostly to the goverment requiring HD broadcasts by the middle of this year) and more people had started adopting the hardware and benefits the PS3 as a system could have
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  15. #1290
    YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland.
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Isnt it ironic that Sony in the most basic of terms is fighting itself? I mean they probably could have sold the PS2 as their only console for another year with some of the games that are coming and then released the PS3 when the cost of HD sets was down (due mostly to the goverment requiring HD broadcasts by the middle of this year) and more people had started adopting the hardware and benefits the PS3 as a system could have
    Yes, but then they would have missed out on the opportunity to establish itself in the marketplace with all of those PS3's people aren't buying.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.


    Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  16. #1291
    Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    FFXII was released in October. PS3 debuted in November.
    True, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have made a PS3 version of the game to release when the PS3 came out.

    Heck, there's a way to make a little extra money right there. Release the PS2 version first, before the PS3 system (and theoretical FF PS3 version) come out. That way, the most die-hard of die-hard fans will go out and buy the PS2 version, being too impatient to wait the month for the PS3. Then, those same people would possibly go out and buy the PS3 and the nicer FFXII for that (since they are die-hard fans and will want to have the best version available).

    Then, you will have the fans who don't intend to get PS3 who will get the PS2 version, and the ones who will simply wait for PS3.

    Also, if releasing FFXII on PS2 before PS3 come out would be an issue that would negatively impact the sales of the game or the PS3 in that scenario, then they could simply push back to release date of FFXII.


    I also doubt the Wii being this super-fun system is what is making people buy it when I can barely find 2 people who have even played it. Price is a big deal in these harsh economic times. This isn't the 90s or early 2ks.
    It depends on where you look and who you know. I know several people who own it (myself, at least 3 members of the Chicago Horde - which is a local He-Man fan club that I am a member of, my sister, one of my best friends, and there may be more that I am not thinking of off-hand), and I know a few more people who have played it and want it, and the only reason they don't have it is because the system keeps selling out. Of anyone I've met who's played it, I am yet to meet anyone who says they think it sucks and completely hate it (some may love it, some may just like it, but no one has said 'this is a piece of crap').

    I'm sure price is a factor. But still, I strongly believe there is more to it than that. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's just something different and fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You say October and November as if its a long period of time apart

    And you are right, nobody is denying the Wii is selling on hype, its certainly not mad ebay sales as you only gain around $100 profit after fees so it has to be word of mouth and keeping up with the neighbors, but somebody is buying them as stores get weekly shipments (they do we just never see them because the systems are sold out of the shipping boxes most times)

    Our dinky Target got 21 last week but sold out in under 1hr, unannounced to what scalpers? I dont really think so, just people wanting something others cant have or thats perceived as cool

    But then again ultimately when a company is asking you to pay $600+ as is the case of the PS3, shouldn't it be garnering the "wow" and "buy me so I can make myself look good" fans and not the cheap and what many fan boys of Sony consider subpar system??
    Exactly.

    21 Wii's selling in under an hour compared to stores getting maybe 6 PS3's that sit there for days on end. Even at the higher price point, you can't tell me that there aren't at least 6 people in the vicinity of any given Target store (esspecially in an area like the one that I live in) that could easily afford the $600 if they really wanted to have the system.

    Plus, if anything, the system that most people 'should' want based on hype is the PS3. It is the successor of the most popular game system of the last generation (which that alone should give it some credit), plus it's the one with the 'wow' factor in terms of high-def and newest technology. Yet, it sits there.

    Then there's the Wii. It has a silly, ridiculous sounding name. It is made by Nintendo who has been the underdog for the last 2 console system generations. And yet it is selling like gang-busters. Now, sure, there is certainly some hype involves. None the less, that hype certainly is not the result of brand-loyalty and name recognition. Most of that hype has been generated from positive reviews about the system, itself, and it being enjoyable. PLUS it is more affordable. So, it all adds up.

    It's not just one factor, it is a combination of many.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  17. #1292
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,343
    On a side note, I was at Best Buy today, and of the 20+ PS3s they had there last week, there wasn't one to be found. I guess it is still selling well enough.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  18. #1293
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Musician View Post
    I've got the PS3 and the Wii. Although I have yet to play/open my Wii. I got the Wii more so for the virtual console games, and the future Super Mario Galaxy game. I've never been a big fan of Zelda, please don't flame, but its just not me. Anyways, I've been playing my PS3 and really like it, but they should have never made it Blu-Ray. IMHO thats whats going to sink that machine. They could have done similar to Microsoft, and released an addition for that and saved a lot on the cost. Will Sony sink because of this? Doubt it. Sony still has a huge backing, and with GTA and GT they will continue to have a loyal following. I do however things its crazy how expensive video game consoles have gotten. Bring back the days of old school Nintendo, and the Sega Genesis. The games where much better IMHO, and were more affordable. I'm just not a FPS kind of guy. Just love the old side scrollers.
    didn't GTA go multiplatform recently? i thought i had read that in this thread. anyway if you enjoy your system then that is great in the end that's what it comes down to - are you happy with the purchase that YOU made. right now it seems the Wii has had the most positive consumer response not just with the sales but with the reactions of the buyers and those who have given it a try. at this very early stage NMintendo did what i've been hoping for a long time - brought the fun factor back into the video game wars. for years now it's been fanboy vs fanboy throwing numbers, polygon counts and tech specs around at each other.

    Games have been about which can be the most gritty. that family fun thing was out of the picture. when i say family fun i don't mean just cutesy or kiddie games i mean games that EVERYONE can play and enjoy. i like that Wii brings that back into the fray. could my dad beat me in virtua fighter? NEVER but coud he beat me in Wii bowling? it's highly likely. also my mom has a bad hand so she can't ply regular games she enjoyed virtua cop on my saturn because she can use the gun, with the Wii she can join in again. my nieces and nephews can play me in games too and have a chance - which makes it more fun for them too. and for me because knowing you will win without a challenge isn't much fun. having to earn a win that is when it gets great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    On a side note, I was at Best Buy today, and of the 20+ PS3s they had there last week, there wasn't one to be found. I guess it is still selling well enough.....
    th ebest buy that I saw a tonne at seemed to be sold of most of them too - then I overheard someone ask the guy on the floor and he said that they just moved most of them to the back - he did say they sold some since they came in though, but not as many as it looks like or when it first came out. the Wiis are still flying away..hopefully this weekend they'll start to have a steadier stock.
    Last edited by The Cimmerian; January 17, 2007 at 03:55pm.

  19. #1294
    Heroic Warrior Mystical Musician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    didn't GTA go multiplatform recently? i thought i had read that in this thread. anyway if you enjoy your system then that is great in the end that's what it comes down to - are you happy with the purchase that YOU made. right now it seems the Wii has had the most positive consumer response not just with the sales but with the reactions of the buyers and those who have given it a try. at this very early stage NMintendo did what i've been hoping for a long time - brought the fun factor back into the video game wars. for years now it's been fanboy vs fanboy throwing numbers, polygon counts and tech specs around at each other.
    GTA did go multiplatform, but the first of a new GTA game always comes out for PlayStation before the other consoles. I'm pretty happy with my PS3 purchase, but I'm extremely excited about the possibilities with my Wii. I agree with you in that they really have brough fun factor back. As soon as Kid Ikarus is available on the VC, I'll be rolling around the floor in joy.
    _____________________________________________
    he-man.org Trader/Seller feedback
    _____________________________________________

  20. #1295
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    brought the fun factor back into the video game wars. for years now it's been fanboy vs fanboy throwing numbers, polygon counts and tech specs around at each other.
    I think that is an excellent point, like I posted previously I can easily tell the difference in a game on the PS3 like Resistance Fall of Man and the Xbox360's GOW but when I play Wii Boxing or Marvel UA I dont particularly care.

    That is probably what surprised me the most, part of the excitement of a "next gen" game console watching the pretty movies and in game graphics and thinking "top that ", but yet the thoughts going through my mind playing these games with the wiimote and the nunchuck attachment is "wow look what I can do" and "this is really easy to use"

    And I also agree that positive word of mouth is a big selling point, the Wii reminds me of the 1st Pirates of the Carribean movie. It was hyped but people expected to be dissapointed (I mean a movie based off a ride?? Hello Haunted Mansion) but then one by one the early reviews coming out were it was excellent and one of the movies of the year, low and behold it turned into a blockbuster and even got Johnny Depp a nomination for an Academy Award (based on a disney ride!)

    People were very skeptical of the Wii and one by one online reviews and press came in saying that it was different and refreshing, then you add in the low supply, the naming of it on the "Must Have for Christmas" lists at places like Toys R Us, and the expectation that the PS3 was the system of dreams and the Wii would just be around for anyone who wanted it, coupled with the low price point has us where we are today.

    The PS3 needed 2-3 more Resistance Fall of Man caliber games and then more hype from the ground instead of hyped it praised itself with, we all know the PS3 is a super machine but when the time came to deliver on the hype imho it failed. It will get there later this year I think, especially when HD becomes more available to people by low cost HD sets....but Sony is not connecting with the masses like they did with the PS2 and there lies its problem.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  21. #1296
    He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sun Diego
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Personally, I think the reason Wii is selling so well right now is because of its price point.
    I don't agree with this at all. I don't mean to target you, but if people are buying the Wii because it's the cheapest price, then why not just buy the GameCube, which is $90-$100? The Wii is on par graphics-wise with the GC, so why spend an additional $150 if it's just price?

    I believe the Wii is selling because it is fun, because people are curious to see how the remote works, and because it's different. Ask anyone who has a Wii and took it to a family gathering...they'll tell you that the responses from people who don't usually play video games found it easy and fun (which happened to me), two things that the PS3 lack right now. It will eventually have some great games, but they have to come from first party because most third party developers are going multiplatform because of the smaller than expected PS3 userbase.

    Yeah the price point probably has something to do with people buying the system, but I don't think it is the determining factor in buying the Wii because if that was the case, why not just buy the GameCube?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Musician View Post
    GTA did go multiplatform, but the first of a new GTA game always comes out for PlayStation before the other consoles. I'm pretty happy with my PS3 purchase, but I'm extremely excited about the possibilities with my Wii. I agree with you in that they really have brough fun factor back. As soon as Kid Ikarus is available on the VC, I'll be rolling around the floor in joy.
    GTA is coming out for both the 360 and the PS3 the same day and both are getting exclusive downloadable content.

  22. #1297
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I don't mean to target you, but if people are buying the Wii because it's the cheapest price, then why not just buy the GameCube, which is $90-$100? The Wii is on par graphics-wise with the GC, so why spend an additional $150 if it's just price?

    I believe the Wii is selling because it is fun, because people are curious to see how the remote works, and because it's different. Ask anyone who has a Wii and took it to a family gathering...they'll tell you that the responses from people who don't usually play video games found it easy and fun (which happened to me), two things that the PS3 lack right now. It will eventually have some great games, but they have to come from first party because most third party developers are going multiplatform because of the smaller than expected PS3 userbase.

    Yeah the price point probably has something to do with people buying the system, but I don't think it is the determining factor in buying the Wii because if that was the case, why not just buy the GameCube?



    GTA is coming out for both the 360 and the PS3 the same day and both are getting exclusive downloadable content.
    Its Ok. Look, the price point issue is there because 1.) we all know the GameCube wasnt so revolutionary and was just Nintendo's attempt to keep up with the Joneses. 2.) the Wii is a 7th generation system and all the hype for Xmas was over the Wii vs PS3 vs 360. Why would anyone buy a system (the GameCube) that never had anything really going for it?

    Look, everyone is saying the Wii is fun and I believe you. Heck, I had fun with regular NES and if the Wii is half as fun as that I'll get one. Like I said, I've been looking for one for my nephew who is 7. We all know Nintendo is the family-friend brand and that does count for something.

    Finally, can we wait a minute and get some hard concrete numbers on PS3 sales before we say it has a small base? Yes, they are some in abundance but that doesn't mean a great many people don't own one.

    I also think the fact that so many people bought a PS2 over any of the options save the DS Lite means something for the future. But as someone alluded to, Sony is indeed fighting itself. It is a victim of its own success.

  23. #1298
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Its Ok. Look, the price point issue is there because 1.) we all know the GameCube wasnt so revolutionary and was just Nintendo's attempt to keep up with the Joneses. 2.) the Wii is a 7th generation system and all the hype for Xmas was over the Wii vs PS3 vs 360. .
    i may be reading you wrong but prior to the Wii's release there wasn't ANY mass market hype for the system - shoot barely anyone made a fusss about it where as the Ps3 was the the video game industries biggest event. people got into fights there were stabbings, muggings etc while the Wii two days later quietly sold out. then they reviews of each system started flooding in and THAT is when the Wii hype took off. it didn't get the same attn as the PS3 though because there wasn't as much to lampoon with the launch (incidents and such) but slowly and surely the public was seeing video gaming in a brand new way. I think thus far the PS3 over hyped and under delivered where as the Wii did the exact opposite. the hardcore sony fans feel a little slighted that finally THEY are on the losing end for the next gen (currently) and thus there is a lot of negativity and dismissal of the Wii. most of it goes back to what was wrong with t he industry in my opinion anyway - the fanboy numbers argument.

    PS3 die hards keep talking about the processor or the graphics or the blu-ray or whatever, but right now it's kind of a cry in the dark because at this point right now the majority doesn't even care anymore. it's like the backlash against the hollywood special effects blockbusters - We've SEEN how good effects can look, but if you don't give us a good movie or a fun movie to go along with those effects your number 1 opening weekend will drop off REALLY fast.

    The Price point for the Wii IS very attractive, but if it wasn't FUN if it didn't deliver like it has then it could have been even cheaper - you'd still find it on the shelves.

    Quote Originally Posted by asharachal View Post
    . it's the same formula that nintendo used for the ds (how many people called it the virtual boy 2 because of how wierd the dual screen idea seemed?). i bought more games for my ds in 06 than for any other system because the ds just brought a more interesting experience to the mix.
    heh I remember people calling it the Nintendo DSappointment early on in it's release, people bought into the PSP hype machine and wrote off the DS then something happened (not sure what i think it was the release of nintendogs)and it took off like CRAZY! now it's the hottest hand held. and sadly I STILL don't have one.
    Last edited by The Cimmerian; January 17, 2007 at 09:55pm.

  24. #1299
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    i may be reading you wrong but prior to the Wii's release there wasn't ANY mass market hype for the system - shoot barely anyone made a fusss about it where as the Ps3 was the the video game industries biggest event. people got into fights there were stabbings, muggings etc while the Wii two days later quietly sold out. then they reviews of each system started flooding in and THAT is when the Wii hype took off. it didn't get the same attn as the PS3 though because there wasn't as much to lampoon with the launch (incidents and such) but slowly and surely the public was seeing video gaming in a brand new way. I think thus far the PS3 over hyped and under delivered where as the Wii did the exact opposite. the hardcore sony fans feel a little slighted that finally THEY are on the losing end for the next gen (currently) and thus there is a lot of negativity and dismissal of the Wii. most of it goes back to what was wrong with t he industry in my opinion anyway - the fanboy numbers argument.

    PS3 die hards keep talking about the processor or the graphics or the blu-ray or whatever, but right now it's kind of a cry in the dark because at this point right now the majority doesn't even care anymore. it's like the backlash against the hollywood special effects blockbusters - We've SEEN how good effects can look, but if you don't give us a good movie or a fun movie to go along with those effects your number 1 opening weekend will drop off REALLY fast.

    The Price point for the Wii IS very attractive, but if it wasn't FUN if it didn't deliver like it has then it could have been even cheaper - you'd still find it on the shelves.


    heh I remember people calling it the Nintendo DSappointment early on in it's release, people bought into the PSP hype machine and wrote off the DS then something happened (not sure what i think it was the release of nintendogs)and it took off like CRAZY! now it's the hottest hand held. and sadly I STILL don't have one.
    Well, I've already said that the PS3's gaming power isn't an issue right now because 1.) no one cares about that hd-dvd /blu-ray crap yet and 2.) the ps2 is still a viable machine so the price point of $600 is making people wait on it. To discount $250 vs $600 is a gross mistake.

    I know the Wii didnt get as much mainstream hype as the PS3 did (mainly the ebay stuff) but Nintendo did market it.

  25. #1300
    Evil Master of Warcraft
    GeologyMule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Knoxvegas, TN
    Posts
    5,711
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    heh I remember people calling it the Nintendo DSappointment early on in it's release, people bought into the PSP hype machine and wrote off the DS then something happened (not sure what i think it was the release of nintendogs)and it took off like CRAZY! now it's the hottest hand held. and sadly I STILL don't have one.
    You know what's funny, I was one of those. I bought the DS with the mario 64 game and wario ware. I loved wario ware, but was dissapointed with the mario game (lack of a thumbstick). So, after I played the wario ware, it just sat there. Then, I got a PSP. I was so exicted, it was cool, it could do this and that...then it broke down, got it replaced...then I was excited again, then that one broke down...then I realized that the games weren't that fun, the movies were overpriced...so, I sold it. Then I got nintendogs and tetris. I realized the the DS WAS whole lot of fun and that I was blinded by the hybe behind the PSP. I play my DS all the time. DS vs PSP, DS wins by a long shot.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

    Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •