Page 55 of 351 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

True Ash!

I've targeted Assassin's Creed, Armored Core (I played the original PS1 version), Def Jam Icons, and Elder Scrolls right now as games I am buying. I was always finicky when it came to buying games (and I don't have a HD tv yet either).

But Sony definitely needs to step it up with some truly inspiring titles.

Quote Originally Posted by asharachal View Post
    the main reason will be price. what i really can't wait to see, is what will go down with the first price drops on these systems.
    The price drops are the main thing I am waiting for, for big systems (over $300) I used to use Walmart layaway but that has since been killed as a form of paying. The Wii was right in my price range (the fact it came with a full featured game for under $300 was the key) so of course I have that now...it allowed me to get rid of 1 gamecube and move the other into the bedroom since the Wii doubles as a gc.

I see the 360 is already adding in a game so I think on their next price cut is when I will make the jump.

I use my Xbox currently as a media center with a softmod but I play no games on it (even though I own about 8), but there are some titles the 360 has that peak my interest.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Evil Master of Warcraft
    What I don't understand is the arguement over which is better, which is selling out, etc. is between the Wii and the PS3. They are totally different systems. It's like comparing apples to rocks. Where is all the hype between which is better the PS3 or the 360? Sure the cell processors in the PS3 kick the 360's butt, but what about gameplay, online, movie downloads, etc? The 360 is similar to the PS3 and can hold it's own against it, yet everyone keeps trying to put the Wii up to face off against it? Seems odd to me. (oh as a side note to some of the post above, yes my xbox does lock up maybe once every week or so. I've had some minor issues with my Wii such as having to resync my controller, and I think it's locked up a few times).

btw, my lazy butt was on the couch all day playing dead rising. Even though it's extremely hard, it's very very fun. ALMOST got the true ending.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Poopie Flingin' Monkey! Slothboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    I've never had a PS2 lock up on me either. But if I kept a system on for God knows how many hours straight each day without giving it a rest I wouldnt expect it to perform perfectly either.
    Sorry I meant the PS3 not two

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    What I don't understand is the arguement over which is better, which is selling out, etc. is between the Wii and the PS3. They are totally different systems. It's like comparing apples to rocks. Where is all the hype between which is better the PS3 or the 360? Sure the cell processors in the PS3 kick the 360's butt, but what about gameplay, online, movie downloads, etc? The 360 is similar to the PS3 and can hold it's own against it, yet everyone keeps trying to put the Wii up to face off against it? Seems odd to me. (oh as a side note to some of the post above, yes my xbox does lock up maybe once every week or so. I've had some minor issues with my Wii such as having to resync my controller, and I think it's locked up a few times).

btw, my lazy butt was on the couch all day playing dead rising. Even though it's extremely hard, it's very very fun. ALMOST got the true ending.
    Well, the Wii and PS3 are comparable as 7-gen systems and were released around each other. That's why some of the Nintendoholics are so quick to point how a system that costs $269 (w/ tax) compares to a system that costs $646 (w/ tax).

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Well, the Wii and PS3 are comparable as 7-gen systems and were released around each other. That's why some of the Nintendoholics are so quick to point how a system that costs $269 (w/ tax) compares to a system that costs $646 (w/ tax).
    I'm a nintendoholic also, but when you put down the specs on paper there not in the same ballpark. It really just boils down to what the end user wants to play. What I was trying to say is that when you compare the PS3 to the 360, they are almost the same. I'm talking about the way they control, they play dvds, you can download online content, online multiplayer, hard drives, wireless, etc. They are really the same machine, just one is on steroids. The Wii operates on a whole different level, and yet, that's the machine that is seems to be getting put up toe-to-toe with the PS3.

Funny how the last gen ranks by sells were 1. PS2 (~60 million units), 2. xbox (~20 million units) and 3. Gamecube (~10-15 million units) [I read that somewhere over a year ago. Those numbers are sure to be somewhat off, take it for what it is worth] and Now it seems like the roles might end up being reversed.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I'm a nintendoholic also, but when you put down the specs on paper there not in the same ballpark. It really just boils down to what the end user wants to play. What I was trying to say is that when you compare the PS3 to the 360, they are almost the same. I'm talking about the way they control, they play dvds, you can download online content, online multiplayer, hard drives, wireless, etc. They are really the same machine, just one is on steroids. The Wii operates on a whole different level, and yet, that's the machine that is seems to be getting put up toe-to-toe with the PS3.

Funny how the last gen ranks by sells were 1. PS2 (~60 million units), 2. xbox (~20 million units) and 3. Gamecube (~10-15 million units) [I read that somewhere over a year ago. Those numbers are sure to be somewhat off, take it for what it is worth] and Now it seems like the roles might end up being reversed.
    I think right now, some people are seeing Nintendo doing well and want to show up the PS users.

Really, like you said, it is apples and oranges, the systems will never really give end users the same thing and I think a lot of people will end up owning both because of the diversity.

The reason why people compare the Wii and PS3 are because they are released at the same time. It's easy to compare sales figures because of this. It's more difficult to compare the PS3 with the Xbox 360 at this point since the 360 has had a year's head start. Further down the road I think the comparison between these two will heat up, but it's just too early now.

And plus, people are excited about the Wii since nobody knew what to expect, and this turned out to be the best possible situation for Nintendo right now.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I got some cool news... I got a 37 inch HDTV today!

My wife and I went to Circuit City and decided to get one since they were offering 2 years of no interest financing and we could easily pay it off in roughly a year.

I have yet to do any major gaming on it, yet. I did hook up my Xbox 360 to it and set it for the HD settings, and the little time I spent with the system was pretty sweet! Hopefully later in the week I'll have time to do more with that.

On other notes:

Quote Originally Posted by Slothboy View Post
    Is it exaggerated? Maybe. However here is what I've seen just in the Fort Worth Texas area.

Target - PS3 has been locked up on numerous occasions.
    Wal-Mart - PS3 has been locked up on numerous occassions
    Game Stop - PS3 has been locked up on numerous occassions
    Game Stop by my work - I've never seen the PS2 not locked up. They told me they got sick of resetting it so they just leave it turned off now.
    I've seen this as well in a couple of stores.

Someone (I believe Iron Avatar, if I recall correctly) pointed out that the PS3 generates a lot of heat and that the display cases that the system is kept in offers pretty much no ventilation, which is most likely what contributes to them freezing/malfunctioning.

In all fairness, a PS3 in someone's home under more reasonable ventilation situations likely wouldn't have the same problem.

None the less, that isn't going to help the casual consumer jump on board any faster. Regardless of the rhyme or reason behind why the store display malfunctions are occuring, when people see that, it's going to make them very skeptical of wanting to buy the system. Most casual people who are just passing by aren't going to go out of their way to find out why the system is malfunctioning and if they can expect one that they would purchase to do the same. And, even if they are in a position where someone gives them an explanation as to why the store model is malfunctioning and why they shouldn't expect one to do the same in their own home, it's still going to leave a bad impression that will make many people leary of making the purchase.

Sony really should try and find a way to ventilate those displays better so that the systems will function properly. I don't think it could be THAT hard to do so if they just put some effort into it. Just make some spaces/slots in the thing that are big enough for air to flow through, while still making it extremely tough for people to try and steal the machine. It's not exactly rocket science.

I've never had a PS2 lock up on me either. But if I kept a system on for God knows how many hours straight each day without giving it a rest I wouldnt expect it to perform perfectly either.

Well, I've heard many stories that are just the opposite.

Mind you, NOT including stories that I've read online (meaning, these are from people I've met who either owned a PS2 and had it malfunction, or know someone close to them who has had that happen), between the PS2 that I have that has the disc read errors and other people whom I've met who've had similar stories, I honestly can probably account for about a dozen PS2s not working correctly. In a couple of cases, the same person was on their 3rd or 4th unit.

Before you go calling me a Nintendo 'fanboy', keep in mind that at one point I was on the Sony bandwagon to some degree.

When the original Playstation first premiered, I admit, I was skeptical. Mainly because at that point in time, in then-recent years, many other companies tried putting out systems against Nintendo and Sega that just never panned out (Panasonic 3DO, Atario Jaguar, Neo Geo...). Sony jumping into the mix made me skeptical as I thought it would likely end up being more of the same (which at the time that it was FIRST coming out, was a logical reason to be leary of jumping on board).

None the less, as it's popularity became proven over time, I asked for a Playstation for Christmas in 1997 and got it.

I liked the system. In all honesty, all in all I felt it was a little over rated, but it was certainly a good solid system and I was glad to own it. And, I found the N64 (which I had gotten at launch) to be an overall disapointment, sans a few quality titles that stood out (and those were few and far between). I never got to the point of hating and bashing Nintendo (partially because there's a nostalgia there, and partially because I still liked some of their stuff). But none the less, I was fairly pumped over Playstation...

So much so that I reserved and got a PS2 at launch. At the time, I felt good about the purchase. The launch line up was nothing special, but that's common of many game systems. I got a couple of games (DOA2 Hardcore, and Tekken Tag, to be specific) when it first came out. As time went on, I found myself not hating the system, but not personally being thrilled with the game selection.

Eventually Gamecube and Xbox launched. I was leary of the Xbox, much for the same reasons that I was Playstation when it first launched... though givens PS's success, I wasn't as quick to judge Xbox as I was PS1 initially, but I still didn't jump on willy-nilly. Being in college at the time, I wasn't really able to afford either system at launch (after having drawn from my savings as it was for PS2 the year prior). But the following summer, after it's first big price drop, I got the Gamecube and Smash Brothers and loved it. As time went on, Gamecube may have had fewer games overall, but it had a larger amount of games that I really, really enjoyed than PS2.

That following Christmas, it got to the point where Xbox seemed successful enough that it wasn't going to suddenly die out, so I asked for one. This was also when they first started packing in the 'S' controller instead of the super-huge one, and it came with that Sega 2-pack disc (with Jet Set Radio Future... which was the sequel to a Dreamcast game that I personally liked a lot).

As time went on, I found myself enjoying Xbox more than PS2. Though, I admit, a lot of the games that I was enjoying probably weren't the biggest mainstream hits. Like I said, I enjoyed the sega-2 pack that came with the system. I was a Sega fan as well, and was disapointed with Dreamcast failing and all of that. Crazy Taxi 3 was Xbox exclusive, so that was also a draw in for me.

Then, not long after that, that's when I really first started hearing stories about the PS2 problems. At first I thought "what the heck?" because up to that point I really never had any issues with mine. At first it was more general information that I was hearing at Gamestop... nothing concrete.

Then, a particular Gamestop employee that I often talked to (he had worked there for years, and he still works there today, actually), told me about him being on like his 4th system and how these disc read errors tend to happen.

I then heard more and more from others as time went on.... friends, co-workers, etc. It got to a point where I would buy 3rd party games for either Gamecube or Xbox for fear of my PS2 wearing out. I only had the games that I had already bought for the system, and then only bought new ones that were exclusive to the system that I wanted to play (which were few and far between).

But, eventually it caught up with me. About a year and a half ago, my PS2 started with the disc read errors. SInce my then-fiance (now wife) had just moved in together and she had a working PS2, I didn't have to buy a new one.

The thing is, in my personal case, The PS2 kind of started out lack luster for me, and as I started hearing more about these problems, I attempted to use it even less. I took good care of it, and the problems still effected me eventually. I think if I had been more of a PS2 enthusiast and played it more often, mine would have had this problem much sooner. It just seems to be a serious wear and tear issue, and it doesn't hold up that well in general.

Now, in your case Oceanwalker, yours is working and you've used it a lot. I'm sure there's still a decent amount of early PS2s that have been used a lot and are still working for one reason or another. None the less, combining my personal experiences with what I've read online, it does seem that the problem is way more prevelant than it should be. But, the problem is that it's not something that happens right when people get the system, so by the time they discover it, the warranties have likely run out, and they already invested a lot of time and money into the system, games, etc... thus making it easier to just replace the unit than move onto a competing system.

So, my experience was just the system being lackluster (to me, in my opinion), and a general tendency to malfunction. I was there at launch and was quite excited... in the end, it didn't deliver just dropped my opinion of Sony and the PS system line overall.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 22, 2007 at 12:34am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Hey, no offense to anyone but it is rather lopsided on this thread that we're getting a bevy of PS only complains and only a few people have decided to throw their lot in with "well, yeah the Xbox acts up too" or "my GameCube is a nuisance sometimes."

The regular NES was a b**** to get working sometimes and then more recently, we have the Wii straps smacking people in the face so no system is perfect.

Just a little more balance in this war and we're fine.

Heroic Warrior
    I think right now, some people are seeing Nintendo doing well and want to show up the PS users.

Yeah but i think that that comes from the many years of the PS fanboys kind of taunting and saying how sony can do no wrong and nintendo is for babies etc and then the arrogance prior to the launch, right now i think there is a backlash against sony (and a smaller one against EA for the bullying tactic they did with football and some other issues) and honestly I don't feel it's nintendop fanboys as much as it's the more well rounded gamer who is happy about the PS3 struggles. $700 is a lot to pay for a system period. and it comes with no games. sometimes the consumer gets fed up with all the money that we are asked to spend i think that that is another reason people are happy about the bad news that comes from the PS3 camp. it's nice to see hte big corporation fail at a big money grab sometimes.that's why i'm happy about the lower than expected PS3 performance (not to mention the more multiplatform stuff the better) for the record nintendo or microsoft aren't my favorite companies. it's just that sony is my LEAST fave.

the Wii strap thing isn't rally a great argument though because it has nothing to do with the system. and i think the reason people are going on about the PS malfunctions is because for the PS2 it was a WIDE spread problem seems everyone either had the problems or knew of a few people that did, transferring it to the PS3 is partly because of the system's price as well as the fact that last year at E3 and the tokyo game show Sony couldn't get the systems to run stable - hearing reports about it is one thing but seeing it in most of the store displays is another. Every store I go to the PS3 is wither turned off or frozen, the wiis are running fine and most of the 360s are too. I saw one that had frozen on a screen. With these disc based systems i think you can always expect a lock up every now and again dirty discs or lenses etc, but when you pay $700 for something you want to make sure it will run very well and the store displays (though they may be special examples) don't give the consumer much confidence again especially when the other two systems are running just as long in the same types of housing. as for the NES yeah that was annoying when you'd have to try the cartridges over and over again but man that was 20 years ago!!
    Last edited by The Cimmerian; January 22, 2007 at 01:08am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    So, my experience was just the system being lackluster (to me, in my opinion), and a general tendency to malfunction. I was there at launch and was quite excited... in the end, it didn't deliver just dropped my opinion of Sony and the PS system line overall.
    I was much the same way, I got mine shortly after launch off ebay and it came with the original SSX and some other game I cant remember. I thought the graphics were nice and that it was a huge jump over the N64 which I also had been playing.

But after that about the only times I got pumped for the PS2 was for Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto, in time I would give the system to my brother who has had far more fun out of it then me.

I switched to the Gamecube (got that one at launch with Luigi's Mansion) and was just awed, not by the graphics but the quality of the Nintendo games. That would be the Cubes undoing though as it took Nintendo FOREVER to release games and with little to no 3rd party support I still found myself playing and buying (not renting, buying) Cube games.

Even with all the systems and games we own I will put Zelda Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, and Super Smash Bros (as well as a personal favorite Fire Emblem) against any of the PS2 and Xbox games.

What I find interesting is how PS Fanboys continually bash the Wii for its lack of graphics, almost as if Nintendo is claiming it could compete. I think the Sony fanboys are having a harder time with the launch of their system not being the 2nd coming then anything else, and Nintendo fans in general (I am not a Nintendo fanboy but I can sympathize 100%) are having what amounts to a daily christmas at the unexpected success of the new system.

Nintendo is even shocked, last week they raised their financial earning estimates by 20% over what they have anticipated so its not just a "fanboy" happiness.

Like I said earlier I was reading other forums and leading up to November you can see Sony fans just bashing the Wii in almost every way from making fun of its name to the claims that the systems wont sell and be left on the shelf because PS2 already "been there and done that" with the Eye Toy....but yet after the Wii launch those same fans are silent.

In my experience I have yet to find a majority of Sony owners who are balanced in their views. At least the ones who post (talking about all over the net) tend to be VERY pro-sony and not in a fair way, but in a na na na boo boo way.

I like the 360 owners myself, for some reason they tend to not get into the schoolyard fighting.

Look at the poll though, I mean its VERY favorable toward Nintendo so I am just guessing the makeup of this board is not going to balanced anyway.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Look at the poll though, I mean its VERY favorable toward Nintendo so I am just guessing the makeup of this board is not going to balanced anyway.
    True as evidenced!

True as evidenced!
    I think the most interesting thing to come out of all this is if people choose the Xbox 360 or the PS3 to go with the Wii in the end.

Seems everyone is going to own a Wii in the same way everyone/large majority owns a Gameboy/DS, its no doubt only going to grow in userbase as the price drops (unless of course there are no games or support dies thus killing the machine like the gamecube)

But when the war flips back to 360 and PS3 which side will end up with the Nintendo fanboy support?

Heroic Warrior Mystical Musician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think the most interesting thing to come out of all this is if people choose the Xbox 360 or the PS3 to go with the Wii in the end.
    I fall into this category, and I have a PS3 and a Wii. One thing that people fail to realize is that a little competition between systems is great for the consumer. The makers then have to take there time and make titles to win over fans which benefits everyone with better made and more fun games.

Bang your head!!!
    So are any new games comming out soon for the Wii? It seems to me that all it's good for at the moment are the older games that you can buy online...

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    May be if more people here had PS3s we would actually be able to talk about it. Thing is, it's so hard to find...oh wait! No it's not! But of course, "nintendoholics" won't buy PS3s, right? Us "nintendoholic" people can't be excited about Nintendo actually selling out...whatever.

Like everyone is saying, no one knows how long this success is going to last for Nintendo...can't we freakin' enjoy it?

Since people who are excited about the Wii are "nintendoholics" what would people who are excited about the PS3 be called? We went from 1000+ posts without name calling...I guess it had to end sometime. I mean, we have to be "balanced" right?

Sorry, I had to get that out...no offense.

Wow, my first PO post on the .org...

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    May be if more people here had PS3s we would actually be able to talk about it.
    Good point. It seems that so far, the only people who talk about thier experiences with a PS3 are second a third hand. I'm patiently waiting for the european release of the PS3, so I'll have some cash to buy one after I get married this year. That's if my wife-to-be lets me

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Thing is, it's so hard to find...oh wait! No it's not! But of course, "nintendoholics" won't buy PS3s, right? Us "nintendoholic" people can't be excited about Nintendo actually selling out...whatever.
    Oh no, by all means. Be excited. But 3 or 4 PS3's sitting on a shelf doesn't exactly spell doom and failure. It's an expensive piece of kit, and even the PS2 took a while to shift when it was released in Europe.

The current general tone of posts about Sony seem to go a little bit like this; "Oh no! There are TWO PS3's on a store shelf! Sony are doomed! DOOMED!".

The weird thing about all of this, was that when Sony first entered the console market I was dead set against them. I was a Sega fan through and through, and a Nintendo fan to a lesser degree. I didn't want Sony to succeed because, unlike Sega and Nintendo, they weren't a GAMES company.

For lots of reasons, that's changed. Mostly because I started to work in the games industry, and maybe that's the problem with game development right now. Many of our goals, just don't match the desires of the games playing public. We've spent a long time trying to live up to the hype generated (or rather, the expectation of the platform holders) by the PS2 and X-Box by making the games look better and better.

But the trend for games has taken a complete u-turn and we haven't been able to match the change in direction. There's a lot to be said for advances in hardware though, it's just that right now; too many developer are just using it for flashy graphics.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Hey, no offense to anyone but it is rather lopsided on this thread that we're getting a bevy of PS only complains and only a few people have decided to throw their lot in with "well, yeah the Xbox acts up too" or "my GameCube is a nuisance sometimes."
    I certainly don't deny that Xbox's and Gamecubes have likely had their share of problems from time to time.

But mind you, in the case of PS2, I'm talking about how common the DREs specifically are. This isn't even taking into account the other possible random fluke malfunctions that could have occurred.

As far as Xbox and Gamecube go, I haven't heard nearly as many complaints about them as I have PS2 (and I actually know quite a few people who own Xbox and/or Gamecube). I think I've met one person who had an Xbox malfunction significantly.

And as far as Nintendo goes, I've met one person who had their's stop reading games (and that story was just recently), and I read some other stories online about malfunctioning ones online. However, in those cases, many people mentioned two important things. 1- How INfrequent it is for Gamecubes to have significant problems, and 2- how helpful Nintendo is in giving good customer service. Most of the stories I've heard have basically said that Nintendo pretty much would fix the system at no cost, even after warranty has expired. In the specific case of the person I know who had one malfunction, the only thing is cost him to get it fixed was the price to ship the system to Nintendo. Then they fixed it and shipped it back, no harm, no foul.

Most stories that I've heard about Sony's customer service have been pretty much the opposite. If you system is not under warranty, they pretty much will do nothing to help you. And even if it is, they still give you something of a hard time over it.

From what I've heard, Microsofts customer service is not a whole lot better than Sony overall. Though, to their credit, they did at least admit to there being some problems with the initial batch of Xbox 360s and ultimately offered to fix them/replace them for free and give refunds to anyone who had already paid for repair on their launch system. So, that still puts them at least a little above Sony in my book as far as customer service goes.

Honestly, if Sony were more customer friendly and were willing to do more for people who have this problem with their system, I'd probably hold them in higher regard. But that has not proven to be the case.

The regular NES was a b**** to get working sometimes and then more recently, we have the Wii straps smacking people in the face so no system is perfect.
    I admit the original NES had it's issues. You often had to shift the game around and find the 'sweet spot' to get it to work. Though, at least at that point it did work. With the PS2 disc read errors, I just can't even get certain games to work on my PS2 at all. So by comparison, the NES would be a much lesser evil.

On a side note, while this certainly cannot be to Nintendo's credit since they had nothing to do with it's invention... I find that if you use a Game Genie with games on the NES, even if you don't use any codes, it is easier to get the game to start up with no problem. It just works better for some reason.

As for the Wii strap issue, yeah, it was a problem, but Nintendo admitted to it and did something about it to correct it. I can't say the same for Sony and the issues I've seen with them. That's why I like Nintendo. In general, when there's a major problem, they do something about it. And frankly, I don't see what's so hard about holding on the Wii controller. It's not that difficult, and shouldn't be hard to do even if there was no strap on it at all. The people who are losing grip on their controls must not be the brightest light bulbs in the box.

Hey, balance is all well and good, but most of us have reach our opinions and conclusions through experience.

As I explained earlier, I gave Sony a chance, and as far as I am concerned, they really didn't deliver in many ways. From the sounds of it, many other people here have had similar experiences.

This thread may often seem one sided, but all of us got here and made our various conclusions because of our indiviudal experiences. We didn't collectively get together in secret and say "Hey, let's all be pro-Nintendo in this thread and hate on Sony as to annoy anyone who likes Sony."

So, I'm sorry if you think it is one sided. And I can see why you feel that way. None the less, I feel how I feel, and many people here feel how they feel, and many of those feelings just happen to be similar.

Have Xbox and Nintendo had their share of problems? Sure. But part of the equasion is not only whether or not they've had problems, but how frequently they are and what the respective companies do to take care of those problems.

And for many of us... at least myself for sure... Nintendo comes out on top in those regards.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    Good point. It seems that so far, the only people who talk about thier experiences with a PS3 are second a third hand. I'm patiently waiting for the european release of the PS3, so I'll have some cash to buy one after I get married this year. That's if my wife-to-be lets me
    Well it IS as you admit earlier an expensive system, so right now I'm not willing or ABLE to buy one because of the price and the games avail. and since VF5 is going to be on the 360 I have VERY little reason to buy a PS3 the only one that I can think of would be God of War 3 which is not on the plate for quite sometime and not something i'd spend $700 for. but my friend has one (PS3) and thuis I can play it whenever I want currently i'm not impressed by what it has to offer gameplay wise and it's locked up on me twice and on him twice.

For lots of reasons, that's changed. Mostly because I started to work in the games industry, and maybe that's the problem with game development right now. Many of our goals, just don't match the desires of the games playing public. We've spent a long time trying to live up to the hype generated (or rather, the expectation of the platform holders) by the PS2 and X-Box by making the games look better and better.

But the trend for games has taken a complete u-turn and we haven't been able to match the change in direction. There's a lot to be said for advances in hardware though, it's just that right now; too many developer are just using it for flashy graphics.
    VERY true especially the last line that's why I said i think there has been a kind of revolt against ONLY flashy graphics, just like in hollywood where special effects aren't enough anymore to gaurantee a box office smash. it's still impressive but at least speaking from mine and most of my friend's point of view we want more and would sacrifice nice graphics for a great game - getting BOTH is nice though but if one has to suffer over the other i'd rather it's the graphics first. nice to know that some industry people feel the same, I seem to recall someone from UBIsoft wasn't happy with the PS3 because he felt that the processing power and numbers made the industry more like an assembly line factory job rather than a creative career.
    Last edited by The Cimmerian; January 22, 2007 at 10:00am.

You want it to be less lopsided? Find more people who are willing to fight for the PS3 over the Wii. I think you'd be hard pressed to do so. Sony fans certainly aren't afraid to voice their opinion as proven by the past several years of Cube bashing. It's not like anybody is blocking PS3 backers, there just aren't many here, and judging by the sales numbers, etc., there aren't many period compared to the Wii fans.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Howdy

More good news for the Big N:

22 January 2007 - The Nintendo DS has gone from strength to strength since its launch in March 2005, with sales dwarfing those of all other consoles as Nintendo attracts all-new audiences to the gaming industry.

Now after just one year and ten months on sale, Nintendo DS has become the fastest games console in European history to sell 10 million (sell-thru to customers) and with 1.7 million units selling in December 2006 alone it is also by far the best selling handheld games console across Europe.

The success of Nintendo DS has been driven by Nintendo’s range of innovative Touch! Generations games, targeted at non-traditional audiences. Nintendogs which launched in October 2005, is now being enjoyed by over five million Europeans, whilst titles like Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? have been enjoying similar success with over two million copies sold to consumers to date in Europe. What’s more, six months after its launch sales are still going strong and it’s maintaining a high position in sales charts across Europe!

Traditional gaming titles are also achieving significant growth with total sales of New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Animal Crossing: Wild World all surpassing the million sold mark in Europe. The success doesn’t end there with dozens of third party games such as The Sims 2 Pets (Electronic Arts), Sonic Rush (SEGA) and Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Buena Vista Games) selling at a significant rate in Europe.

Laurent Fischer, European Marketing Director said:

"Nintendo DS topped the six million mark in September and has continued to go from strength to strength with thousands of new people being introduced to gaming through the Nintendo DS. Its appeal to both gamers and non-gamers means it has expanded the gaming population significantly. This landmark figure of 10 million Nintendo DS gamers cements the console’s position as undisputed leader of the handheld market, bringing gaming to a whole new audience - something that was unimaginable a few years ago!

"The innovative Nintendo DS is now helping to shape the whole market with sales of the Nintendo DS console and games being the main drivers behind recent market growth all across Europe."

Nintendo is continuing to build on this momentum with a dynamic range of exciting, new games including Mario Slam Basketball, Star Fox Command, Actionloop, and the highly anticipated legendary Final Fantasy III from Square-Enix, all scheduled for launch in 2007.

The Nintendo DS Lite is now available in black, white and pink, priced around at 150 Euros (£99 UK). The Nintendo DS is available across Europe in blue, silver and pink at around 130 Euros (£89 UK).

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/e...0g9_yEHJiSwlky

They just keep going from strength to strength

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    You want it to be less lopsided? Find more people who are willing to fight for the PS3 over the Wii. I think you'd be hard pressed to do so. Sony fans certainly aren't afraid to voice their opinion as proven by the past several years of Cube bashing. It's not like anybody is blocking PS3 backers, there just aren't many here, and judging by the sales numbers, etc., there aren't many period compared to the Wii fans.
    but see i was thinking about the lopsided thing - we here are on a He-Man forum not a video game forum, not on a ps3, nintendo, xbox forum so i think the opinions here are a nice cross section of different players we have casual gamers, fanboys and what I like to call the rounded gamers on here and the indication here from the poll echos what is going on in the mass market Most people are turned off for one reason or another by the PS3 while the Wii is seen in the most favourable light. yes the results are lopsided in nintendo's favour but that is because currently nintendo is the most appealing to the entire market. it's not fair for anyone (not targeting you dorrman just springboarding off your post rather than find the original one that called this lopsided - esp since I'm kind of echoing what you said) to say that there is a bias, it's more so that this time around nintendo is currently the strong favourite on this board and in the general public at large.

go to a sony forum and post the same poll and you'll definitely get skewed results same as if you go to forums of other systems. I think this forum gives a nice venue to find more realistic results.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    I totally agree. I'm just waiting for the right time, both financially and game selection wise to buy a PS3. I've always stated that I'm in it for the games and that competition is good for the consumers, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Oh no, by all means. Be excited. But 3 or 4 PS3's sitting on a shelf doesn't exactly spell doom and failure. It's an expensive piece of kit, and even the PS2 took a while to shift when it was released in Europe.
    You have a valid point. I'm not saying the PS3 is a failure -- all I'm saying is that up to this point, it has been surprising that the PS3 has not been the hot item like everyone expected it to be before it launched. I fully expect it to get back on track when GTA, FF, and all the other games come out for the console...but until then, Sony has their hands full trying to convince thousands of gamers to fork over $600 for a console, $700-$1000+ for a HDTV, and $100+ on games and accessories. Everyone talks about just paying $600 when that is completely untrue.

The current general tone of posts about Sony seem to go a little bit like this; "Oh no! There are TWO PS3's on a store shelf! Sony are doomed! DOOMED!".
    I have to agree to a certain point. The fact is, we're all talking about the present. Six months from now, the total opposite could happen. Personally, I think the X factor of all this is going to be the XBOX 360 (pun intended). With Halo 3 coming out, GTA IV releasing for both the PS3 and the 360 at the same time, and that they have the biggest userbase out of all the consoles, we're all forgetting that Microsoft is #1, not Nintendo. Nintendo still has a long ways to go to prove it can be a strong competitor against the graphic intensive systems...at least for now, the uniqueness and mass appeal of the Wii is getting the job done -- but it can't do that forever.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was added this morning to the Virtual Console.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.