Page 59 of 351 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 8768

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164899.html

Bloomberg: Sony profits could fall 50 percent
    The electronics giant's third-quarter results likely to plummet as a result of losing market share to Nintendo.
    By Staff, GameSpot UK
    Posted Jan 29, 2007 4:37 am PT

Sony's third-quarter financial earnings results, which are scheduled to be released tomorrow, could be down more than 50 percent from the same period the previous year, reports Bloomberg.

The financial news service surveyed five analysts on Sony's upcoming results, and the median estimate weighed in at 84.1 billion yen (approx $680 million), dramatically short of last year's third-quarter earnings of 168.9 billion yen ($1.38 billion).

Sony CEO Howard Stringer has "failed to fend off Nintendo," the report continues, with the Wii outselling the PS3 two-to-one worldwide.

The company is likely to lose a record 191.9 billion yen ($1.57 billion) from games this fiscal year, compared with a profit of 8.7 billion yen ($71 million) last year, according to the survey.

In October, Sony cut its fiscal-year profit forecast to 80 billion yen ($656 million), a five-year low. Shares in Sony recently jumped 6 percent, the biggest single increase in more than a year.
    I didn't think it would be by half!
    Someone in the Gamespot forums did make a point though, in that on top of their competition, Sony still competes with itself by keeping the PS2 around. Developers love the low cost, and as long as new games come out for it, some consumers see little reason in replacing it with the newer machine. It's a much tricker position than the PS1 to PS2 was that's for sure.
    And that's an extra production cost M$ and Nintendo don't have as they stopped making Xbox, and Gamecube systems.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; January 29, 2007 at 06:12pm.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    VC Games Released Today:

Bonanza Bros.
    Mario Kart 64
    Contra III
    Comix Zone

Nice batch this week and 13 titles this month, more than the normal 10!!

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    VC Games Released Today:

Bonanza Bros.
    Mario Kart 64
    Contra III
    Comix Zone

Nice batch this week and 13 titles this month, more than the normal 10!!
    My checkbook is in so much pain. I spent about $30 on VC games this past weekend.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Hope everybody saw the new God Of War 2 trailer that went up the other day. I SO cannot wait until March for this! I'm gonna have to track down the demo next month......
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by asharachal View Post
    i finally got around to really playing FF3 (DS version) and wow... now i can't put it down. bloody good game!
    Not sure if you've played it or not, but Final Fantasy VI Advance is coming out fairy soon and that was (imo) the best Final Fantasy game.

It was originally released as Final Fantasy III for the SNES in 1994.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

a co-worker of mine said he'd get it for me as a get well gift with everything i'm dealing with.
    Hope you get well soon! and you won't be disappointed with it. The graphics are of the 16-bit era, but nothing beats the story of FFVI.

I want to buy it for the GBA/DS when it comes out on Feb 5...but fear it might come out for the Wii's VC. I'd RATHER play it on the TV instead of the DS.
    MattOnDemand.com

haha look what i found on YouTube

MattOnDemand.com

GR81 says:

Man, Nintendo really brought back the love i use to have for console...
    I am a PC game guy, but Zelda is just too awesome.

The one on one horse fight on the bridge is just to awesome
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!

This was Sunday, so who knows if they are still there...

3 Wiis sitting on the shelves right next to a couple of PS3s at the Gamestop in Evanston Illinois by the Howard Red/Purple Line CTA stop.

A side note. With my brother buying a 360, I plan on buying a PS3 and a Wii eventually. From that point on, when some A* hole tries to say one system is great and another is complete crap, I'll just be able to laugh at him and kindly say, I have all 3.

Ohh if only Apple would release their own console. They could call it the iCon....
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    3 Wiis sitting on the shelves right next to a couple of PS3s at the Gamestop in Evanston Illinois by the Howard Red/Purple Line CTA stop.
    Not that I am saying that this couldn't be the case, but what Gamestop were you at that they had the systems out where everyone could see them? Usually (based on pretty much every Gamestop/EB Games that I've ever been to... which is several) they keep the actual systems in the back of the store or something , put away, locked up etc, and any system boxes that are out in plain sight are just display boxes, and don't necessarily represent what they actually have in stock (unless they had the systems locked up in the glass case behind the counter... but from what I've seen, the PS3 is so huge that they don't even bother doing that with it).

It's not that I don't believe that they could have Wii's in stock. Being over a month after Christmas now, we are bound to start seeing them actually make it to shelves here and there. But, this just seems rather off from the way that Gamestop stores usually do these things.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by GR81 View Post
    GR81 says:

Man, Nintendo really brought back the love i use to have for console...
    I am a PC game guy, but Zelda is just too awesome.

The one on one horse fight on the bridge is just to awesome
    Hi,

I loved that fight too!!!, also all the cinemas are great, from the one with the Pig riders enter Kakariko Village, Linkīs entrance ^^, the start of the fight(when the leader calls for backup), and of course the ending, I love that cinema, I even start a new game so I can record that cinema(I saved the game after that so I couldnīt just repeat it ), and speaking of that cinema, I leave you this:

AWESOME!!

Later...
    Have You Ever Felt the True Power of the Cosmo?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Not that I am saying that this couldn't be the case, but what Gamestop were you at that they had the systems out where everyone could see them? Usually (based on pretty much every Gamestop/EB Games that I've ever been to... which is several) they keep the actual systems in the back of the store or something , put away, locked up etc, and any system boxes that are out in plain sight are just display boxes, and don't necessarily represent what they actually have in stock (unless they had the systems locked up in the glass case behind the counter... but from what I've seen, the PS3 is so huge that they don't even bother doing that with it).

It's not that I don't believe that they could have Wii's in stock. Being over a month after Christmas now, we are bound to start seeing them actually make it to shelves here and there. But, this just seems rather off from the way that Gamestop stores usually do these things.
    You know there are some stores here in Canada that I went to saw the Wii boxes WITH a price on it so I excitedly asked about it. thurns out the boxes were empty and for display only (i even grabbed the boxes myself to make sure) so yeah they didn't have any systems much to my dismay. the PS3s though were there and not empty boxes because they told me they had some ps3s in if I was interested. I just told them it was too rich for my blood.

Howdy

I have to say the 26th March launch date for the PS3 in Europe for the first time in Sony gaming doesn't scare me one bit. I Know Europe and more specifically England love Sony but with the impact the Wii has had (and of course the price point the PS3 will launch at) I can't Sony even see Sony making a dent in an aliminium can (sorry I was lost for an analogy).

Don't get me wrong I aren't killing Sony, they have some catching up to do but its not impossible and with Metal Gear Solid 4 looming they sure are going to catch people's attention. But with Super Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Prime 3and Super Mario Galaxy (hopefully) coming out this year, there will be no stopping Nintendo. Even Microsoft has recognised Nintendo as the now biggest threat, and no longer will developer's ignore and just release the best games on the 'adult' consoles. Proven with the release of Scarface on Wii.

This year will finally mark the console war start in Europe and I am excited to see what is going to happen. We know Nintendo have three of their biggest titles penned for this year and Microsoft has Grand Theft Auto and the game that Nintendo should really be scared of HALO 3.

We know the DS is trouncing the PSP everywhere which again makes me happy (not that Sony is losing but that Nintendo is winning).

At Christmas I hope to get an X-Box 360 as there are games on there that I really want and unfortunalty there is only one game I have seen so far on the PS3 that I would buy: Heavenly Sword, hopefully though come 2008 Sony will really start with the games.

Any sorry for this probably pointless post I was just reading up on Nintendo's good Christmas and it got me a little excited so I just had to tell someone

Here is hoping that this generation of gaming is going to be the best one yet.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Yes, it is a Nintendo partisan crowd.

well maybe it wouldn't be if sony gave us something to get us excited...
    Hey Sony's been stimulating the masses for 10 years! Give them a chance!

And trust me, God of War 2 is definitely some stimuli.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Hey Sony's been stimulating the masses for 10 years! Give them a chance!

And trust me, God of War 2 is definitely some stimuli.
    but that's still a PS2 game. (one i AM looking fwd to though) look Sony has been dominant for the last 2 generations of consoles so far the PS3 hasn't delivered on the hype and people are generally looking for something new. Sony was hyped by gamers and the media to be the second coming but it just didn't pan out to be as good as everyone thought (i'll say yet cuz things can easily change) shoot there weren't ANY regular news stories about the Wii launching 2 days after the ps3 it just quietly sold out and kept selling out so that it demanded some news worthy attn.

you could easily say that for the past 10 years it's been a sony partisan crowd. gamers and non gamers all had ps2s the ps3 hasn't captured the mass market attn. this board is in general just echoing what the market is doing right now. there are the company loyal consumers then there ar the "which one looks best for what I want to do" consumers admittedly I fall in the middle. I'm not loyal to any company but sony is not a fav of mine and if they fail I won't shed a tear...BUT I will also admit that it's in the gamers best interest for all three companies to do well - competition works out best for US. and right now that is what makes me the most happy with sony missing a step...it means the market is open again!

Howdy

I agree, the last generation was over before it began and it was a rather underwhelming race to second, and that wasn't much of a race.

This time though Microsoft may have a fairly big lead but at the rate Wii is selling Nintendo could catch up faster than expected. And yes this time it is Sony who now has all the work to do. Making this generation something special.

Good luck to all three I say, the better the sales, the better the games and with Ninty trailing and Sony getting ready to launch Microsoft are going to be counting on at least two huge games this year with Nintendo counting on at least three.

Let the true battle commence and may the best games win.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003 View Post
    Howdy

I agree, the last generation was over before it began and it was a rather underwhelming race to second, and that wasn't much of a race.

This time though Microsoft may have a fairly big lead but at the rate Wii is selling Nintendo could catch up faster than expected. And yes this time it is Sony who now has all the work to do. Making this generation something special.

Good luck to all three I say, the better the sales, the better the games and with Ninty trailing and Sony getting ready to launch Microsoft are going to be counting on at least two huge games this year with Nintendo counting on at least three.

Let the true battle commence and may the best games win.

Chris M
    Well spoken.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Well, Microsoft has it's own share of work to do. If they STILL can't get Japan fully on board, I don't see them hanging onto their current worldwide substantial lead. (Especially with the way the Wii is still selling) In 2 and a half months, the Wii has almost sold half of what the 360 has sold in 15 months. And I'd have to double check sales figures, but I'm pretty sure the 360 is already in 3rd place in Japan.....

But can the Wii's current momentum be enough to keep carrying them into the sales lead, or will it cool off significantly? If they can continue to publish fresh software and keep the virtual console releases at a healthy mixed pace, as I feel they have been doing, I think sales will continue. Not necessarily as healthy as they are right now, but while there will eventually be a cooling off point, I don't think it'll be too drastic of a dip to give away that much market share.

I just read an article the other day, (I'll have to find the link) that stated Sony claims that their manufacturing process for the cell chip has made a huge stride cost-wise, and that very soon they'll be breaking even on console sales. While still the most expensive system out there, once they get some killer must-have titles in the library, the sales will come, even before any price breaks, which they are claiming won't happen for at least 3 years.

Bottom line, I feel pretty confident that this generation will be the closest we've seen since the 16-bit era. And if the race is close, it'll be up to the big 3 to bring their A game and do what they can to try to sway the market in their favor. This can only lead to good things, as quality of software will have to be raised to get the most sales that they can. This will benefit us (the gamers) more than anyone.

I'm pumped for the future, as the only system left for me to purchase is the PS3. Once they get a game I feel is a must-have, I'll be dropping my $$$, however much it is. Right now, with Assassin's Creed going to PC & 360, Heavenly Sword being delayed, Kingdom Hearts *possibly* losing it's Sony exclusivity, Gran Turismo HD getting delayed/axed, Virtua Fighter 5 going 360, & Dragon Quest shifting to the DS, Sony CANNOT afford to lose another exclusive property. If MGS4 and/or FF13 go to the PC/360/Wii, the only exclusive franchise Sony can hold over me personally to warrant my purchase of a PS3 is God of War. Bring it on!
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Just wanted to comment on the News channel since I've had time to actually use it now. I find that it is convenient enough to take a look at what's going on in Science/Technology/Entertainment. Very useful IMO. I don't look at National/International simply because I don't care for that much and it is all over TV anyways. The other stuff is harder to find so it is nice that everything is here. Sports I don't look at since I have better ways of getting sports news (3 sports channels here). One thing I don't like however is the map on the side. It takes up a lot of room that can be used for the text so that it is easier to read left to right. A little scroll bar on the right would also be nice so that you know how long the article is. Even if you can't use it to scroll through the article, it's nice to know how far down the page you are. Overall a good service though.

As for the web browser, I haven't used it much since it is way more inconvenient than a PC, but I was wondering if it is possible to get a virus on your Wii through the web browser. I'd imagine that it would have to be a Wii-specific virus for you to be infected. I doubt there's anything out there now since it is so new, but down the road do you think it would be possible for you to get a virus on your Wii? I certainly hope not.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    but down the road do you think it would be possible for you to get a virus on your Wii? I certainly hope not.
    I SOOO want to do a prophylactic joke right here but...but...I won't I just WON'T!!!

Me and my brother saw about 10 Wii's at various Walmarts at noon in the Des Moines Iowa area so hopefully that means more are being shipped for those who want them.

At the same time though several Targets we went to had their "Out of stock" signs up and Gamestop who is giving $50 credit if you trade in your gamecube told my brother "good luck, we are not getting any for 2 weeks" so I guess its still not in plentiful supply.

If you want cheap good Gamecube games though check Target, I got:

Battalion Wars $3.94
    Pikmin 2 $7.98
    Resident Evil 4 $9.99
    Fire Emblem GBA $7.98
    Killer 7 $3.00
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Me and my brother saw about 10 Wii's at various Walmarts at noon in the Des Moines Iowa area so hopefully that means more are being shipped for those who want them.

At the same time though several Targets we went to had their "Out of stock" signs up and Gamestop who is giving $50 credit if you trade in your gamecube told my brother "good luck, we are not getting any for 2 weeks" so I guess its still not in plentiful supply.

If you want cheap good Gamecube games though check Target, I got:

Battalion Wars $3.94
    Pikmin 2 $7.98
    Resident Evil 4 $9.99
    Fire Emblem GBA $7.98
    Killer 7 $3.00
    is that 10 each at the various walmarts or ten total? not that it matters seeing as I'm in Canada. haha just curious though. I'm hoping a few stores get some in this week, hopefully the rush will slow down now that it's february and the stock can be more steady.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    is that 10 each at the various walmarts or ten total? not that it matters seeing as I'm in Canada. haha just curious though. I'm hoping a few stores get some in this week, hopefully the rush will slow down now that it's february and the stock can be more steady.
    10 total

It was 5 at one in Ankeny Iowa and then 5 at one inside Des Moines (there are like 4-7 depending if you consider the outskirts of the capital city)

And as far the cheap Target games go, some you will need to scan in their price checker. Battalion Wars said $7.98 but rung up at $3.94, Pikmin 2 said $13.98 and rung up at $7.98

I also thought this article was interesting, it brings up the notion that Sony is fighting itself again

Playstation 2 surpasses Playstation 3 in weekly sales
    http://gaming.monstersandcritics.com...n_weekly_sales

I also point to this as a continuing reason as to the reason people rejoice in Sonys problems, you get the feeling that in Sony's eyes there is absolutely nothing wrong with the PS3 and the Wii is just a fad (which is may very well be)

"Meanwhile, Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesperson Dave Karraker went on the record with the New York Times earlier this week to lump the Wii in the same category afforded to supermarket tabloids and packets of M&Ms: the impulse buy.

"Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else," Karraker stated, asserting that the Playstation 3 was in a much different category than the Wii and therefore it was a case of apples and oranges to compare the two. Whether the Wii will win out with this strategy in the long-term remains to be seen, though the impulse buy of that console currently seems to have the edge over the higher price point of the heavyweight Playstation 3."
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Just to continue on from markatisu's post...

Media Create Numbers:

DSL 194,526
    Wii 83,754
    PSP 35,700
    PS2 20,995
    PS3 19,996
    Xbox360 7,365
    GBM 1,177
    GBASP 1,023
    GC 347
    DS 82
    GBA 34

01. (PS2, Capcom) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 227261 / 227261
    02. (NDS, Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 103706 / 1026700
    03. (NDS, Sega) Sangokushi Taisen DS - 77229 / 77229
    04. (NDS, Nintendo) Picross DS - 71794 / 71794
    05. (NDS, Nintendo) Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - 59379 / 59379
    06. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 58886 / 910422
    07. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: The Seven - 47350 / 138599
    08. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Play - 43612 / 808425
    09. (PS2, Hackberry) Pachinko Winter Sonata - 41411 / 41411
    10. (NDS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 34028 / 3902307

11. (NDS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers
    12. (NDS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training
    13. (NDS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World
    14. (PS2, Konami) Prince of Tennis: Doki-Doki Survival
    15. (360, Bandai-Namco) The Idolm@ster
    16. (NDS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS
    17. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokemon Diamond
    18. (NDS, Nintendo) English Training
    19. (NDS, Nintendo) Brain Training
    20. (PS2, Sega) Shining Force EXA
    21. (NDS, Spike) IQ Supply
    22. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl
    23. (NDS, IE Institute) Kanji Brain Test 2M
    24. (PSP, Konami) Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    25. (PS2, Bandai-Namco) .hack//G.U. Vol. 3
    26. (NDS, Nintendo) 1000 Recipes
    27. (WII, Nintendo) Wario Ware Smooth Moves
    28. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable
    29. (PS3, From Software) Enchanted Arms
    30. (PS2, Flight-Plan) Dragon Shadow Spell

---------------

The DS and Wii are outselling the PSP, PS3, and PS3 combined. To top that off, is it just me, or are PS3 sales dropping every week in Japan, a country who Sony was betting on just as much as the US?

Go ahead and call me a "Nintendolic" but if you go to the PS3 IGN Insider forums, it's hard to find any positive stuff there and I doubt they are "Nintendolics."