Page 62 of 350 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 8736

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Howdy

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences has honoured Nintendo with five Interactive Achievement Awards, including 'Outstanding Innovation in Gaming' for Wii Sports. The hugely popular Wii title won three awards, while The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? each took home honours.

The awards were presented the night of February 8 at the academy’s annual 'Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain' summit in Las Vegas. The awards are among the most respected in the interactive entertainment community.

“These awards, granted by a group of our industry peers, demonstrate that it’s possible to please both new and experienced game players,” says Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. “To see honours given to games as varied as Twilight Princess, Wii Sports and Brain Training tells us the industry hungers for new ideas and great games. We believe both Wii and Nintendo DS are specifically equipped to deliver those experiences.”

Nintendo received 19 nominations in 11 different gaming categories, and came home with five awards. The complete list of Nintendo’s Interactive Achievement Awards is as follows:

•Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Wii Sports

•Outstanding Achievement in Story and Character Development: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

•Outstanding Achievement in Game-Play Engineering: Wii Sports

•Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Wii Sports

•Handheld Game of the Year: Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain?

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/e...U6_wfKvwSFVPhj

Awesome news, its great when Ninty get praise

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    That's good news! Now Ocarina of Time will be very enjoyable.
    Ocarina of Time with the Gamecube controller was enjoyable. It felt like playing Wind Waker. The ONLY thing that sucked was playing the Ocarina itself.

The N64's 4 C-buttons were mapped to the C-stick, so it's slower to play songs that you had memorized. Nintendo did map C-left, C-down and C-right to the Y, Z and X buttons respectively for easier and faster song playing, but any tune that required C-up would be slowed.

As far as I can remember, that was my only problem with it.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Hey guys, there's a new channel available for the Wii. It's the "Everybody Votes" channel. After a system update, it's available in the Wii Ware section of the Shop Channel. It's free of course. It's kinda cool if you ask me. They have random polls that you can vote in as well as predict what the rest of the world will vote. They even keep a win-loss record for you and your Mii. You can even suggest your own polls.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt View Post
    Ocarina of Time with the Gamecube controller was enjoyable. It felt like playing Wind Waker. The ONLY thing that sucked was playing the Ocarina itself.

The N64's 4 C-buttons were mapped to the C-stick, so it's slower to play songs that you had memorized. Nintendo did map C-left, C-down and C-right to the Y, Z and X buttons respectively for easier and faster song playing, but any tune that required C-up would be slowed.

As far as I can remember, that was my only problem with it.
    I don't think I'll mind that too much. Just a minor adjustment.

And dorrmann, thanks for the news. I'll have to download that right now. I'm surprised they just sprung that on us without any hype/anticipation though. I guess it's too simplistic to have created hype maybe? Oh well, I'll see what it's like now.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Ok I got a question. I'll be recieving my tax refund soon and I do want to get The Wii System. Already know what games I want. But exactly what accessory wise do I have to have? I want to know so I don't have figure it out when I do go and buy one. Does it need a memory card? What size? What controllers should I buy? What should I get to make sure I will have fun from the moment I open it?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Ok I got a question. I'll be recieving my tax refund soon and I do want to get The Wii System. Already know what games I want. But exactly what accessory wise do I have to have? I want to know so I don't have figure it out when I do go and buy one. Does it need a memory card? What size? What controllers should I buy? What should I get to make sure I will have fun from the moment I open it?
    Howdy

Well the fun factor is already taken care of with Wii Sports however investing in Twilight Princess would be good. Controllers? Well the Classic Controller is a good choice if you are getting a Wii Points card to download retro games.

You don't need an SD memory card as the Wii will save internally but it would be wise to get one for the future as the Wii memory is quite small. Any SD will do and the size is subjective but a 1 gig card should see you right for a while.

Hope that helps.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Here we go. (It would have helped to list what games you want, that way I could help you better...but i digress)

Initially, no memory card is needed. The Wii has 512MB built in. However, you can, if you want, transfer stuff to SD cards if the initial 512 runs out. So you do not need to worry about this now.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    You will not need anything else: the Wii comes with a nunchuk and wii-mote. No additional purchases necessary. Pop in the disc and enjoy.

WiiSports
    You will need at LEAST one more Wii-mote (for baseball and tennis). Golf and Bowling can be played up to 4-players with one Wii-mote (players take turns, like real life). Boxing will require both, an extra wii-mote and nunchuk.

Any Multiplayer Game
    I'm pretty certain that the majority of multiplayer games that are out will require a Wii-mote per person. Maybe even nunchuk's.

GameCube
    Yes, the Wii plays GameCube games. If you have interest in this platform, you will require GameCube controllers (wired or the wireless WaveBird) and a GameCube memory card. Gamecube games CANNOT be saved to the 512 MB Wii memory. Also keep in mind that Nintendo will be slowly decreasing GameCube stock in stores as the months pour on, so if you want anything from this system, get it now.

Virtual Console (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TF16)
    If you're interested in downloading games to your Wii via the Virtual Console service, you will need to buy WiiPoints cards and cash them on on the WiiShop Channel. Alternatively, you can charge your credit card while shopping online for games.

For NES games, you simply turn the Wii-mote on it's side and it's ready to play. You will need one more for any two-player games.

SNES and N64 games require the Classic Controller. Alternatively, you can use GameCube controllers for any of the VC games. Recent additions such as Super Mario World have not worked well with GameCube controllers because of the button layout. The Classic controller is basically a SNES controller on steroids, so it's recommended. On the other hand, games like Mario Kart 64 work a lot better with a GameCube controller than the Classic Controller. So it really depends on how much money you have and your personal preference.

You know, as I was typing this up, I thought of something. Nintendo's plan of releasing a console that's easy to pick up and just play...they sure did complicate things with everything I just wrote about above.
    Last edited by MattOnDemand; February 14, 2007 at 02:43pm.
    MattOnDemand.com

GR81 says:

And they are still making money on pas games for crying out loud...
    They got themself a winner here
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by asharachal View Post
    twilight princess didn't come with a mote and chuck for me. is that a canada thing?
    sorry, i meant the system comes with a wii-mote and nunchuk so that games like Zelda can be played with no additional purchases.
    MattOnDemand.com

Nintendo: Be Aware of Age Rating for Manhunt 2

Howdy

Nintendo has called for parents and retailers to be aware of age ratings when buying or selling mature-rated games. The advice came in reponse to the announcement that Manhunt 2, the sequel to the controversial stalk-'em-up, would be released on Wii.

Although it may seem like the uber-violent game goes against Nintendo's family-friendly image, a UK spokesperson for the company today backed Rockstar's decision to release the title on Wii but said parents still need to ensure children aren't exposed to adult-orientated products.

He said: "All games for the Nintendo platforms are rated by the responsible authorities to ensure that minors are not exposed to games that are unsuitable for their particular age group and we want to emphasise the need for all users, especially parents and retailers, to be aware of the appropriate age rating before selling or buying a game."

He went on to say parents concerned about children gaining access to inappropriate games should "utilise the PIN-operated Parental Control features built into Wii".

Last week Rockstar attempted to avert any potential criticism of Manhunt 2 by saying it's "clearly a game aimed at an adult audience and we anticipate that it will receive an 18+ rating".

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/763/763634p1.html

Okay so Nintendo doing its things....I mainly posted this as its the first I have heard of Manhunt 2 being released on the Wii.

Chris M

Went into Best Buy today, and for the first time I saw 1 lone Wii system on the shelf. I went in mainly looking for Ghost Rider for PS2 & Ratchet & Clank for PSP, (neither of which they had on the shelves) and saw a lady with 1 system in her hands. Strolled down the Nintendo aisle, and there it was, the last one. I've had mine since launch day, but I grabbed it for my brother-in-law. After checking with him, he said he wasn't planning on getting one until after his vacation which ends on 2/25. But I grabbed it anyway to see if my sister maybe wants to give it to him tonight for a Valentine's Day present. If not, I'll probably flip it on ebay, or offer it to anyone here for cost + shipping. Or as a last resort, just return it.

Just wanted to share how nice it was to actually see one of these on a shelf.

This space for rent, apparently.....

Nintendo's updating VC games, it seems. There is apparently an update for Mario Kart 64 which fixes a minor bug.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13170

This really surprised me as I never really thought they'd do this. Looks like I might have jumped the gun in buying the classic controller since now they might update Super Mario World to have better GC controls. Even still, it wasn't a bad purchase.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

WHAT A GUY
    Has anyone been using the 'everybody votes' channel? Its pretty limited atm but it has potential.

Has anyone got WiiPlay yet?
    I got it yesterday at Target and it's pretty cool. There are 9 games and a bonus Wii Remote!

So far, I would say that Lazer Hockey and the Shooting Range are my favorite.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERHEMANMIKE View Post
    Has anyone got WiiPlay yet?
    I got it yesterday at Target and it's pretty cool. There are 9 games and a bonus Wii Remote!

So far, I would say that Lazer Hockey and the Shooting Range are my favorite.
    I got Wii Play before I left on personal business yesterday, I must say I had a blast with table tennis and billards.

If a developer expanded on say billards with online tournaments they could have a serious cash cow on their hands.

For $10 (The package is $50 but the wiimote itself is $40 of that) its well worth it, the tease of "duck hunt" is worth it and Tanks is awesome.

I have heard a lot of people bash Wii Play and the Wii itself for being a gimmick system, and I can see that if you have no friends to play it with. But if you have a wife/spouse/partner I find this system is the most fun I have had in years.

My wife wont touch any other game system outside the NES and Genesis but she is all over the Wii, if Nintendo were smart they would make sure to continue captializing on that.

I mainly posted this as its the first I have heard of Manhunt 2 being released on the Wii.
    I am surprised nobody else brought this up as the news is a week old, people bashed the Gamecube for little/no adult titles and here is one of the most adult titles in the industry and yet nobody is surprised that its coming for the Wii as well as the others?? I guess the Wii's sales numbers are proving its a viable candidate and not the plague to adult games that the Gamcube seemed to be.

Of course Manhunt 2 could bomb on the Wii and we would never see another adult game sans the RE series lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This article is pretty funny:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/02/10/142733.php

The title of it is Clueless Parents Real Threat to Nintendo DS Pictochat "Dangers", and the author is named Ken Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by that article that I linked up there, yo.

Local affiliate MyFox Milwaukee is going after salacious alarmist headlines, a disturbing trend as of late. Sadly, none of these segments get the facts straight, although this one is better than most.

At least I don't have to explain that you cannot use Pictochat over the Internet, again.

So, what I got from this "report" is that parents don't read the instruction manuals to the things they give their children, and this is all Nintendo's fault. Riiiiiight. Nintendo warns parents about the risks of using Pictochat? They recommend talking to your child about it? You don't say!

I guess item 11 on the table of contents of the Nintendo DS Owner's Manual was easy to miss. Or maybe the big button in the center of the screen that says "Pictochat" when you turn on the DS is too easy to overlook.

And what the hell happened to the adage "Don't talk to strangers," did parents stop teaching that to their children all of a sudden? From watching this video, it appears that the two girls were absent that day in common sense class.

I'm sorry, but if you are going to spend $130 on an electronics gadget for your child, wouldn't you at least leaf through the manual at least once?

The kid gave a total stranger — a creepy reporter — her street address. Granted, the reporter was downstairs and the children were upstairs in this example, so the results here are entirely bogus. Now, how about reporting on the fact that parents are absolutely clueless to what their kids are playing, and how they can be used.

That fact was painfully obvious of the two mothers used in this segment, yet MyFox Milwaukee isn't pushing for parents to wise up, they go for the alarmist angle — one that has been done before, on Pictochat, before.

Parents need to teach their children about the dangers of predators. That was touched on, but obviously was not the agenda here.

The question of range came up. Nintendo claims 65 feet, though in an open mall the reporter was able to send messages from over 300 feet. The key thing to realize here is that it was an open mall, with no interference at all. Also, what does the difference between 65 feet and 300 feet mean? Nothing.

I am really getting tired of this crap. Wake up, this is the responsibility of the parents. Why not do a news segment focused on teaching parents about DS and PSP communication features, and drop the alarmist strategy, because it is getting old.

The video segment goes on to discuss how a child molester could be talking to your kid in a moving car. Huh? Do child molesters work in packs now, and form war-driving parties to find kids in cars using Pictochat? Lets not even get started on the subject of how much time a kid is playing a game versus using Pictochat.

The solution here is quite simple: If your child encounters someone they do not know in Pictochat, they turn the DS off. End of story.

Parents, read the manual, and teach your kids about strangers, and what they should do if they encounter one, even in Pictochat.

What's next? Some local news affiliate reporting on how you can download porn on the PSP's web browser? Oh wait... that already happened. I tell ya, these reporters, they really are smart.

I wonder if they know that you can download porn on a cell phone web browser too? And a Palm web browser. And a Wii/DS web browser. And a PS3 web browser...

Wait a minute! Maybe it has more to do with the technology than the device its on? The next episode of "investigative journalism" that uses that common sense gets a cookie.
    Ah, the shear stupidity. It never fails. I just have to suck it up and laugh, otherwise I will lose my mind over how moronic it is.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    This article is pretty funny:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/02/10/142733.php

The title of it is Clueless Parents Real Threat to Nintendo DS Pictochat "Dangers", and the author is named Ken Edwards.

Ah, the shear stupidity. It never fails. I just have to suck it up and laugh, otherwise I will lose my mind over how moronic it is.
    Penny Arcade beat you to it

***Please read and follow forum rules about image sizes***
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now THAT is funny!

Bad Deviot! Don't make me laugh out loud like that at work.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Interesting article
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/764/764978p1.html

Analysts Share Wii and PS3 Expectations
    Wii expected to be a hot item for the time being.
    by Anoop Gantayat

February 15, 2007 - The Japanese game industry is seeing some interesting times, with the Wii and DS dominating the sales charts while Sony's platforms falter. Famitsu recently asked analysts with Japanese firms Daiwa Securities, Nomura Securities and Mitsubishi UFJ Securities to share their thoughts on how things are shaping up for the game market as the 2007 fiscal year winds down.

Daiwa Securities' Eiji Maeda pointed to Gundam Musou and Virtua Fighter 5 as key software titles for the end of the fiscal year. He believes that sales of these two titles are important for the PlayStation 3 as a whole, and that other software manufacturers should be paying attention to them. Nomura's Yuta Sakurai also made mention of Gundam Musou as a key title for the end of the term, but added Monster Hunter Portable 2nd to the list. He feels that this game will push PSP hardware.

Everyone seems to be down on the PS3 and up on the Wii. Maeda believes Sony won't be able to get actual sales of six million PS3s by the end of the term. In contrast, he believes Nintendo will be able to ship out six million Wii units (2 million to Japan, 3 million to America, 1 million to Europe) and that the demand for the system won't die down for some time. Sakurai believes Sony's worldwide PS3 shipments will reach the 4.5 million mark, and stop there, while Nintendo will be able to ship 6.5 million systems. He also feels that the Wii supply problem won't clear up by the end of the term.

UFJ's Hiroshi Murakami thinks that the current retail state, where PS3's are readily available and Wii is nowhere to be found, will continue for a while. The Summer of 2007 will be the biggest fight for the PS3, he believes. Murakami believes strongly in the scenario of the PS3 being the number one system 3 to 5 years from now, and expects this state to come into view at the end of 2007.

Outside of the next generation, the analysts offers some interesting thoughts on the DS. Sakurai believes that the system saw its Japanese sales peak in 2006 and that sales will gradually go down from here on. However, he believes that the system's flame was lit in Europe over the holiday season, and that 2007 will be the breakout year over there. Murakami believes that while the DS's success will continue throughout the term, the end of 2007 is a bit unclear. There's the possibility that the light users will move away from the system. He feels that Dragon Quest IX will be the big test.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Penny Arcade beat you to it
    Is that particular comic appropriate for this forum, TheDeviot? I love Gabe and Tycho more than the next guy - but for Pete's sake - that's a man's winkle hanging out there! Yes it's got some mosaic to cover it but you can clearly make out what's there.

At any rate, I couldn't help but laugh at this recent strip! (safe for the Org)

I just missed the last copy of Wii Play today at Best Buy. Frustrating, I have been trying to find it all week and literally witnessed someone picking up the last copy when I finally do find it. Oh well...patience is a virtue, maybe later this week.
    R.I.P.
    Ronald Henry Schwartz
    June 29 1935 - June 23 2005
    I miss you Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by lowbrass View Post
    I just missed the last copy of Wii Play today at Best Buy. Frustrating, I have been trying to find it all week and literally witnessed someone picking up the last copy when I finally do find it. Oh well...patience is a virtue, maybe later this week.
    I've seen 2 Wii's available at Toys R US, but at the time I didn't have the money. Now that I have my tax refund. I can't find any. And I don't want to shell out $500 online for it in a bundle set. And something that expensive I don't trust Ebay. I want my Wii.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Well, this is just going off of one person's opinion (which, is not definitive by any means), but a friend of mine picked up Wii Play and said it's pretty lame.

According to him, it just seems to be more of a very basic tutorial on how to use the Wii-mote (even more so than the Sports game that comes with the system). That's not to say that there isn't any fun to be had, but that it's really nothing special. He said it was most worth it for the Wii-mote that comes with it.

I was on the fence on getting it, but now I think I will hold off. As it is, there's a couple of games coming out in the near future that I'd like to get, and I have to do some cutting back due to some unexpected debt that my wife and I recently got into...

So, something like Wii Play just isn't a priority right now for me.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    WII-KLY UPDATE: FOUR NEW CLASSIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 19, 2007

Today Nintendo adds four new classic games to the popular Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel. The games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Donkey Kong™ Country (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): Donkey Kong Country is an incredible island adventure, and the first game to feature Donkey Kong's sidekick, Diddy Kong®. Challenged by the crazed tribe of reptilian Kremlings, the Kongs face their cunning adversaries armed with lightning-quick moves, chest-pounding muscle and awesome aerial acrobatics. The duo also gets help from a host of friends and family, from Funky Kong™, Cranky Kong™ and Candy Kong™ to Rambi™ the rhino, Expresso™ the ostrich, Enguarde™ the swordfish, Squawks the parrot and Winky the frog. This game has more than 30 levels, plus dozens of hidden caves and secret rooms - more than 100 areas in all. Help the Kongs recover their stolen banana hoard!

The Legend of Kage (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): This classic ninja-action game first appeared in arcades in 1985 and became instantly popular. As the Iga ninja named "Kage," players embark on an action-packed quest as they move toward a magic castle where the Princess "Kiri" is held captive by "Yohshirou Yukikusa." To stay alive, players move vertically and horizontally through forest and castle environments and execute massive jumps, all the while using throwing-star knives and a sword to take down hordes of enemies.

New Adventure Island (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): On peaceful Adventure Island, the islanders are celebrating the wedding of Master Higgins and Tina, the "Miss Island Queen." Suddenly, the celebration is interrupted by the appearance of Baron Bronsky and his henchmen, who kidnap Tina and the island children. Master Higgins must set out to rescue the children and his beloved Tina in this side-scrolling action game. Throw hatchets and boomerangs, hop on skateboards and guide Master Higgins safely to the goal in each area. New Adventure Island consists of seven exciting stages. Each stage is split into four areas, with a boss waiting at the end of the final area. Defeat all the bosses and release the kidnapped children. And waiting in the castle of the final stage - the wicked Baron Bronsky. Help Master Higgins defeat him and reclaim his bride.

Streets of Rage™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): The city was once a happy, peaceful place...until one day, a powerful secret criminal organization took over. This vicious syndicate soon had control of the government and even the police force. The city has become a center of violence and crime where no one is safe. Amid this turmoil, a group of determined young police officers has sworn to clean up the city. Among them are Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding. They've decided to put their lives on the line and take back their city through their special hand-to-hand combat abilities. They are willing to risk anything, even their lives, on the Streets of Rage.
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.