Page 63 of 351 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 8761

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    WII-KLY UPDATE: FOUR NEW CLASSIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 19, 2007

Today Nintendo adds four new classic games to the popular Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel. The games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Donkey Kong™ Country (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): Donkey Kong Country is an incredible island adventure, and the first game to feature Donkey Kong's sidekick, Diddy Kong®. Challenged by the crazed tribe of reptilian Kremlings, the Kongs face their cunning adversaries armed with lightning-quick moves, chest-pounding muscle and awesome aerial acrobatics. The duo also gets help from a host of friends and family, from Funky Kong™, Cranky Kong™ and Candy Kong™ to Rambi™ the rhino, Expresso™ the ostrich, Enguarde™ the swordfish, Squawks the parrot and Winky the frog. This game has more than 30 levels, plus dozens of hidden caves and secret rooms - more than 100 areas in all. Help the Kongs recover their stolen banana hoard!

The Legend of Kage (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): This classic ninja-action game first appeared in arcades in 1985 and became instantly popular. As the Iga ninja named "Kage," players embark on an action-packed quest as they move toward a magic castle where the Princess "Kiri" is held captive by "Yohshirou Yukikusa." To stay alive, players move vertically and horizontally through forest and castle environments and execute massive jumps, all the while using throwing-star knives and a sword to take down hordes of enemies.

New Adventure Island (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): On peaceful Adventure Island, the islanders are celebrating the wedding of Master Higgins and Tina, the "Miss Island Queen." Suddenly, the celebration is interrupted by the appearance of Baron Bronsky and his henchmen, who kidnap Tina and the island children. Master Higgins must set out to rescue the children and his beloved Tina in this side-scrolling action game. Throw hatchets and boomerangs, hop on skateboards and guide Master Higgins safely to the goal in each area. New Adventure Island consists of seven exciting stages. Each stage is split into four areas, with a boss waiting at the end of the final area. Defeat all the bosses and release the kidnapped children. And waiting in the castle of the final stage - the wicked Baron Bronsky. Help Master Higgins defeat him and reclaim his bride.

Streets of Rage™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): The city was once a happy, peaceful place...until one day, a powerful secret criminal organization took over. This vicious syndicate soon had control of the government and even the police force. The city has become a center of violence and crime where no one is safe. Amid this turmoil, a group of determined young police officers has sworn to clean up the city. Among them are Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding. They've decided to put their lives on the line and take back their city through their special hand-to-hand combat abilities. They are willing to risk anything, even their lives, on the Streets of Rage.
    Another quality week of Virtual Console releases. I'm going to get DK Country and Streets of Rage when I get home...

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Well, this is just going off of one person's opinion (which, is not definitive by any means), but a friend of mine picked up Wii Play and said it's pretty lame.

According to him, it just seems to be more of a very basic tutorial on how to use the Wii-mote (even more so than the Sports game that comes with the system). That's not to say that there isn't any fun to be had, but that it's really nothing special. He said it was most worth it for the Wii-mote that comes with it.

I was on the fence on getting it, but now I think I will hold off. As it is, there's a couple of games coming out in the near future that I'd like to get, and I have to do some cutting back due to some unexpected debt that my wife and I recently got into...

So, something like Wii Play just isn't a priority right now for me.
    Yeah, I realize it probably won't be the best game but the way I am looking at it...it is a $10 game. I still want it, I have a blast with Sports and think there are a few games that will be fun on this.
    R.I.P.
    Ronald Henry Schwartz
    June 29 1935 - June 23 2005
    I miss you Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by lowbrass View Post
    Yeah, I realize it probably won't be the best game but the way I am looking at it...it is a $10 game. I still want it, I have a blast with Sports and think there are a few games that will be fun on this.
    Yeah that's true, but I'd rather put that extra $10 towards a nunchuk for the new Wii-mote.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

So my girlfriend got a Wii last week. Oh man, it is SO much fun! She has wii sports and rayman so far, and they're a blast! I love the first person shooter segments of rayman, i totally need to play a full fps on the wii. And wii sports is just a hell of a lot of fun. she only had one wiimote when i was visiting her at school last week, but she's getting wii play tomorrow, so i can't wait to play wii sports with 2 people. i'm sure it's even more fun then.

Nintendo rules!
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Well, this is just going off of one person's opinion (which, is not definitive by any means), but a friend of mine picked up Wii Play and said it's pretty lame.

According to him, it just seems to be more of a very basic tutorial on how to use the Wii-mote (even more so than the Sports game that comes with the system). That's not to say that there isn't any fun to be had, but that it's really nothing special. He said it was most worth it for the Wii-mote that comes with it.

I was on the fence on getting it, but now I think I will hold off. As it is, there's a couple of games coming out in the near future that I'd like to get, and I have to do some cutting back due to some unexpected debt that my wife and I recently got into...

So, something like Wii Play just isn't a priority right now for me.
    Considering it's only $10 plus the Wiimote, I think it's an excellent deal. I only have two controllers and having a 3rd would be great.

Oh and here's a rumor about the next Wii Channel...

Next Wii channel could be 'Nintendo Power'

Donkey Kong Country! YAHOO!!!!! Well done Nintendo!
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    WII-KLY UPDATE: FOUR NEW CLASSIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 19, 2007

Today Nintendo adds four new classic games to the popular Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel. The games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Donkey Kong™ Country (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): Donkey Kong Country is an incredible island adventure, and the first game to feature Donkey Kong's sidekick, Diddy Kong®. Challenged by the crazed tribe of reptilian Kremlings, the Kongs face their cunning adversaries armed with lightning-quick moves, chest-pounding muscle and awesome aerial acrobatics. The duo also gets help from a host of friends and family, from Funky Kong™, Cranky Kong™ and Candy Kong™ to Rambi™ the rhino, Expresso™ the ostrich, Enguarde™ the swordfish, Squawks the parrot and Winky the frog. This game has more than 30 levels, plus dozens of hidden caves and secret rooms - more than 100 areas in all. Help the Kongs recover their stolen banana hoard!

The Legend of Kage (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): This classic ninja-action game first appeared in arcades in 1985 and became instantly popular. As the Iga ninja named "Kage," players embark on an action-packed quest as they move toward a magic castle where the Princess "Kiri" is held captive by "Yohshirou Yukikusa." To stay alive, players move vertically and horizontally through forest and castle environments and execute massive jumps, all the while using throwing-star knives and a sword to take down hordes of enemies.

New Adventure Island (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): On peaceful Adventure Island, the islanders are celebrating the wedding of Master Higgins and Tina, the "Miss Island Queen." Suddenly, the celebration is interrupted by the appearance of Baron Bronsky and his henchmen, who kidnap Tina and the island children. Master Higgins must set out to rescue the children and his beloved Tina in this side-scrolling action game. Throw hatchets and boomerangs, hop on skateboards and guide Master Higgins safely to the goal in each area. New Adventure Island consists of seven exciting stages. Each stage is split into four areas, with a boss waiting at the end of the final area. Defeat all the bosses and release the kidnapped children. And waiting in the castle of the final stage - the wicked Baron Bronsky. Help Master Higgins defeat him and reclaim his bride.

Streets of Rage™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): The city was once a happy, peaceful place...until one day, a powerful secret criminal organization took over. This vicious syndicate soon had control of the government and even the police force. The city has become a center of violence and crime where no one is safe. Amid this turmoil, a group of determined young police officers has sworn to clean up the city. Among them are Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding. They've decided to put their lives on the line and take back their city through their special hand-to-hand combat abilities. They are willing to risk anything, even their lives, on the Streets of Rage.
    Downloaded all 4. I'm probably the only person I know that liked Legend of Kage though. Played Streets of Rage for an hour, and it's still a blast!
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Well I apologize if Disco or anyone got offended, but I figured it wouldn't be a big deal with the censor blur. They've reprinted worse ones in EGM, CGW/GFW, and PC Magazine, ZD mags that anyone can read in any Grocery store. But if it's got to be axed or hacked by the mods, no harm done I suppose. Dynamo's post just reminded me of that strip They had a funny Vista strip too not too long ago.

Anyway as fun as I find my Nintendo Wii is, I, and a lot of regulars @ Maximum Carnage
    Can't wait til the Fall. That's when (Hopefully)Unreal Tournament III (Formerly UT2k7) should be coming out in all of it's DX10, Physx card supporting glory.
    Plus for those who ONLY buy systems, it'll hit the 360, and PS3. The community seems split on the idea of cross platform play, But I don't see a problem with it.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Epic move the Unreal Championship series to the Wii. It would be light years ahead of Red Steel, and the crappy slapdash FPS ports (FarCry, Splinter Cell) Ubisoft seems content with slopping over with no optimization.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Yeah that's true, but I'd rather put that extra $10 towards a nunchuk for the new Wii-mote.
    Already have 3 remotes and 4 nunchucks. Been waiting for the $10 game for my final remote!
    Last edited by lowbrass; February 20, 2007 at 11:01pm. Reason: type-o
    R.I.P.
    Ronald Henry Schwartz
    June 29 1935 - June 23 2005
    I miss you Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    So my girlfriend got a Wii last week. Oh man, it is SO much fun.
    Get her a WiiPoints card so she can go online and download some classic games!

Donkey Kong Country is a good two-player game. There's Mario Kart 64...

You're gonna find that you'll want to get one for yourself.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

I looked in four stores the past two days, and I can't find Wii Play anywhere!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Considering it's only $10 plus the Wiimote, I think it's an excellent deal. I only have two controllers and having a 3rd would be great.
    Thats the reason I got it, we had 2 wiimotes and nunchucks but we have a friend who comes over often as well as my brother so I looked at it from the $10 game aspect.

If you are expecting it to be worth $50 you will be sadly dissapointed, its a tech demo at best but some of the games like billiards deserve play.

On another note, has anyone gotten the new Sonic game? I am wondering if its worth the $50, it has received positive reviews as the first sonic game to even compare to the older genesis titles but that it still has its flaws.

I also forgot to mention I rented Dragonball 2 for the Wii, its an excellent game but only for serious DBZ fans. The control scheme is interesting and I prefer to just use the A and B buttons because this game is rather "gimmicky" when it comes to the controls I think. I do love the free flowing feel of using the nunchuck to guide the fighter and the wiimote to aim.

If it ever comes down to $20 I would definitly buy it, but its not going to end up in my collection at the moment as Zelda, Marvel UA, Wiiplay and Wiisports have.

And lastly for those that have stuck with my super long post, Japan unveiled what Wii games they are releasing this year. Thats one heck of a 1st party lineup, it will be interesting to see how this translates in US/UK releases

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Disaster
    Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
    Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)
    Forever Blue
    Hoshi no Kirby
    Mario Party 8
    Mario Strikers Charged
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Totsugeki Famicom Wars W (Battalion Wars 2)

Wii Health Pack
    Wii Music
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

That's interesting. Super Smash Bros. is still expected for this year? I assumed, with the delay of Metroid and Mario, Smash was going to get pushed into 2008. If Mario comes out for the holidays, that means it would be competing with Smash Bros. I just hope Metroid is coming out sooner rather than later.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    On another note, has anyone gotten the new Sonic game? I am wondering if its worth the $50, it has received positive reviews as the first sonic game to even compare to the older genesis titles but that it still has its flaws.
    I will be picking this up later today.

I went to Gamestop yesterday after work to see if they had it in (since 2/20 was supposed to be the release date), but they said it was coming in today. I went ahead and reserved it, and I will pick it up after work.

I am looking forward to it. It will be nice to have Sonic in his own solo adventure for the first time in quite a while.

I am a fan of Knuckles and Tails, but they worked a lot better on the Genesis games than on the more recent 3D titles. In the Genesis games, they weren't completely different from Sonic. The basically ran, etc, but had a couple of unique abilities of their own. In the 3D titles, they've tried to indiviudalize them even more, and ultimately not for the better. Some of their abilities (particularly Tails) seem rather contrived and out of place for a Sonic game. And this gets even worse in some of the games where you play as other characters besides these three.

So, hopefully this new Wii game will be good. Once I've had a chance to play it for a good while to make a solid judgement, I will post more about it.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Forthcoming Wii Virtual Console games!!!! The following games have been given ratings by the ESRB for the Nintendo Wii console:

Excitebike
    Castlevania (The original I assume)
    Gradius III
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Not sure which one)
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Here's the link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766376p1.html

I'm guessing Excitebike will release next week, as it's already been found on Nintendo's servers by Firefox hackers.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    That's interesting. Super Smash Bros. is still expected for this year? I assumed, with the delay of Metroid and Mario, Smash was going to get pushed into 2008. If Mario comes out for the holidays, that means it would be competing with Smash Bros. I just hope Metroid is coming out sooner rather than later.
    What I would guess is that Smash Bros will come out during the summer to captailize on kids being off from school.

That would leave Metroid to hit on Black Friday (Thanksgiving time) and score sales till Mario comes out at christmas to heap the sales as a must have game ala Zelda.

I am already impressed versus the Gamecube and N64's 1st year, as it seems initially anyway that 3rd parties as well as Nintendo are on the ball to at least get the gamers some options during the first 12 months.

IF the lineup in Japan mirrors a similar lineup in the US it would give us one quality game a month since EA is filling gaps when Nintendo is not (for instance SSX Blur and Tiger Woods are coming out to get us through the beginning of March)

Also there are some big hitters in JP and the US that were not listed but are coming out (soon I had thought), Fire Emblem being one of them (and one I will be there the day of release having just finished Path of Radiance on the GC)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    So, hopefully this new Wii game will be good. Once I've had a chance to play it for a good while to make a solid judgement, I will post more about it.
    I will await what your findings are, I have read that its levels above any of the previous 3-D games but that its short and the controls were on the verge of being perfect (and that Sonic Team obviously took easy way outs instead of delaying the game to make them flawless).

It looks good though from what I have seen and is very tempting to get, but I dont want to get burned and then see it for $19 lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Matt View Post
    Get her a WiiPoints card so she can go online and download some classic games!

Donkey Kong Country is a good two-player game. There's Mario Kart 64...

You're gonna find that you'll want to get one for yourself.
    Eh, I already have all the classic games I would want, either for real or on my computer. And we're going to be living together in a few months, so there's no point in buying my own.

And for the record, I also like Legend of Kage.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Forthcoming Wii Virtual Console games!!!! The following games have been given ratings by the ESRB for the Nintendo Wii console:

Excitebike
    Castlevania (The original I assume)
    Gradius III
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Not sure which one)
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Here's the link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766376p1.html

I'm guessing Excitebike will release next week, as it's already been found on Nintendo's servers by Firefox hackers.....
    Awesome news about TMNT for NES! I'm sure it is the first one, and they also confirm that at the bottom in your link. This is the best TMNT game and one of my favourite, if not my most favourite, NES game. I will definitely get this when it is released. Good stuff!

I also purchased Donkey Kong Country for SNES. It is a pretty good game and it is quite enjoyable. I'm 14% done it so far
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

What I would guess is that Smash Bros will come out during the summer to captailize on kids being off from school.

That would leave Metroid to hit on Black Friday (Thanksgiving time) and score sales till Mario comes out at christmas to heap the sales as a must have game ala Zelda.

I am already impressed versus the Gamecube and N64's 1st year, as it seems initially anyway that 3rd parties as well as Nintendo are on the ball to at least get the gamers some options during the first 12 months.

IF the lineup in Japan mirrors a similar lineup in the US it would give us one quality game a month since EA is filling gaps when Nintendo is not (for instance SSX Blur and Tiger Woods are coming out to get us through the beginning of March)

Also there are some big hitters in JP and the US that were not listed but are coming out (soon I had thought), Fire Emblem being one of them (and one I will be there the day of release having just finished Path of Radiance on the GC)
    The thing is, Smash Bros. Melee outsold Mario Sunshine on the GC...why would Smash Bros. come out during the summer when it would definitely sell more during the holidays? The kiddies are out of school in December.

The main Mario series has kind of lost it's steam a little bit and I don't think it would sell as much as Smash.

If it were me, I'd do the releases like so:

Summer (August): Metroid

Fall (September-October): Mario

Winter (November): Smash Bros.

My reasoning for Metroid being released early on is because I don't think Metroid can compete with Halo 3...no way, no how.

Smash Bros. can compete, but I still think Halo 3 will be in a league of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    The thing is, Smash Bros. Melee outsold Mario Sunshine on the GC.
    Didnt a lot of things outsell Mario Sunshine on the GC lol

This Mario from what I see is basically trying to be the successor to the N64 legend so I would move it out of the Sunshine mentality.

But who knows with Nintendo these days, they could just as easily push them all to 2008 and screw us all.

IGN keeps talking about Metroid coming late so thats about the only one we can bank of coming in either Q3 or Q4.

But I agree that Smash is going to be the biggest seller of them all, especially given the new characters and addition of online play it should outsell the previous editions with ease in both JP and the US.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is coming for downlaod!? Sweet! I've been dying to play that game for years!

I'm really looking forward to the new SSB:B game. I still haven't even seen a Wii anywhere, probably won't until the summer, but this game will certainly be worth playing once I manage to get one. The great thing about the Wii is that being online capable, all my college buddies and I can play Smash again just like we did back then, despite us all living in different places.

God bless Nintendo.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

NPD sales are out, take them with a grain of salt (from ign.com)

"January TRST console sales data from the NPD Group has arrived and the big winner is, somewhat surprisingly, Nintendo's Wii system. The tiny white platform predictably beat out Sony, whose PlayStation 3 has been slow to take off around the world, but it also bested Microsoft's Xbox 360, which has especially in recent months been on a sales roll. Wii sold approximately 435,000 units in January, nearly double that of PlayStation 3's 244,000 sell through during the same period. Xbox 360, meanwhile, managed a sizeable 294,000 for the month. Perhaps most impressive of all, though, are sales of PlayStation 2 for January. Despite the fact that it's seven years old, some 299,000 people bought a PS2, easily establishing it as the number-two best-selling system for the month. GameCube released a year after PS2 and you can see below that it performed poorly in January. "

http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766501p1.html

Also interesting is that Wario Ware was the biggest seller and not Zelda, and that Rayman beat out Red Steel.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I will await what your findings are, I have read that its levels above any of the previous 3-D games but that its short and the controls were on the verge of being perfect (and that Sonic Team obviously took easy way outs instead of delaying the game to make them flawless).

It looks good though from what I have seen and is very tempting to get, but I dont want to get burned and then see it for $19 lol

Well, I haven't gotten extremely far into the game, but here are my initial impressions:

The controls are pretty good. At least so far. They do take some initial getting used to. After my first couple of attempts, I was really getting scared that I was really going to hate the game and the control scheme.

But, I kept at it for a while longer, and it gets easier and starts to feel natural after a while.

It's defiantely a lot of fun so far. I really can't comment on how long or short the game is since I'm really not far enough to make a solid determination on it. But, this game is a lot of fun, and is more true to the Sonic tradition then some of the other more recent entried in the series.

As I progress further in the game, I will post more about it.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Anyone know when Super Paper Mario is coming out? I can't wait for that one. I wish it would have gotten released on cube, but at least I'll still be able to play it.

-Harvey Dent

GR81 says:

Not sure i like that version of mario...Paper???
    Arent they going to release a classic mario game for Wii?
    What is Super Mario Galaxy?
    GR81 says : You're role... read what GR81 writes!!!