Page 7 of 351 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    What kind of disc format is Wii using anyway? Is it another one of those "Nintendo Only" discs like the Gamecube mini disc, or is it an actual DVD? If it's a DVD, I don't see why it wouldn't have the ability to play DVD movies if it can play DVD games. If the disc isn't DVD, then big deal. I already have a DVD player, my Xbox can play DVDs, and so can my PS2, and my computer for that matter. I really don't think I'll be needing another device that will play DVDs for me. But at least I've got options if one should break down.

WHAT A GUY
    Yeh im not concerned if it plays dvds etc if it were in a seperate room away from the dvd player i might want that feature but it wont be vital. Oh and Matt is a ****** who cares about the apostrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    I'm not completely against HD, but I really don't feel the need to jump on it. I think DVD is good enough for now. These new formats aren't really necessary, IMO. Maybe that opinion will change over time, but not right now. And I really don't think we need anything better than Blu-Ray or HD-DVD now, as they seem to be too 'good' for their own good as it is.
    Come April 7th 2009 all you will be able to purchase is HDTVs. Probably even before that because manafacturers will clear the market of old sets before the mandatory date. With this in mind the normal DVD format will need to go before then.

I guess we still have nearly 3 years for the transition, but will Nintendo have a new system by then? To me it doesn't really matter because I love Nintendo for the games and could care less if it plays movies and other types of media. It also helps Nintendo keep their costs down by not implementing a specialized drive which is good because they aren't the "leader" when it comes to home consoles anymore.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

More Wii News...

NGamer also reports that the Wii sensor bar is now "50% smaller ... a little bigger than a couple of pencils glued together" and tosses in a few tidbits about the Wiimote, including its 30–60 hour battery life (with AAs) and ability to store a small amount of data, roughly 6KB, internally. One sour detail reveals that Virtual Console's DRM will prevent gamers from playing their downloaded titles on a friend's Wii.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5388

Just to clarify heres another take on the DVD thing and for the person who asked yes the Wii games will be on DVD disks.

http://pics.computerbase.de/1/4/5/2/9/2.jpg

Matt Cassa-however-you-spell-it over at IGN has posted a rather interesting blog post about the assumed nature of DVD playback for the Nintendo Wii. At E3 2005, it was announced that there would be a "dongle adapter" for optional included DVD playback, and there were rumors over the next year that it would simply be built-in. However, while Nintendo loves to reiterate time and time again the capabilities of its critical darling, any and all mention of DVD playback has been completely removed.

DVD playback is a feature we've come to expect not only in next-generation machines, but last generation as well. Since Wii discs are DVDs anyway, would this feature be so difficult to add on? Check out Matt's blog for a slightly more in-depth analysis, and let's hope that Nintendo doesn't take their "games only" stance a bit too far.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/200...-not-included/
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; September 8, 2006 at 03:49am.

[Wii] Nintendo coy on DVD functions, but does it matter?

Howdy

The Wii console will not support DVD playback when it launches later this year, according to Nintendo's official site. This comes despite DVD playback previously being listed as a feature of the new console. But, in all fairness, does anybody care?

At the predicted price of £149, Wii is likely to be the perfect accompaniment to your other games console which, of course, has DVD playback as standard. And with standalone entry-level DVD players now shifting for less than 30 notes, picking up a player and a Wii console would cost you less than half the amount of shelling out for a PS3 next March.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/gam...22811153671099

Well it hasn't bothered me that there is no DVD player, I already have one and don't need another.

I will sacrifice a DVD player for the £150 price tag anyday

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by Slothboy
    I posted this in one of the other threads that got locked so I dont think many people saw it.

I found it amusing, of course you PS3 guys won't like it very much.

http://www.doubleagent.com/video.php?v=1060
    Howdy

While this is amusing it has already been posted in this thread I think

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

First Wii details from the Japan conference.

September 13, 2006 - Nintendo fans finally have a price and release date for the company's new generation console, Wii. The Big N is set to officially announce that the system will hit retail in North and South America for $250 on November 19. The New York Times published with the story and seems, in fact, to have beaten Nintendo Co. Ltd with the news.

Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with Wii Sports, a compilation sports game that best shows off the mechanics of the system's unique controller. Wii Sports features tennis, baseball, golf and a previously unannounced bowling game.

Nintendo said it would provide Wii owners with more than 25 unique games this year.

Wii's much talked-about Virtual Console download service, which enables gamers to purchase classic games, will offer a library of some 30 titles when the system launches. Titles will include entries from the Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises, Nintendo said. Virtual Console games will cost between $5 and $10 each.

The Big N confirmed that it would charge $50 for its new Wii games, which is $10 cheaper than the cost of standard Xbox 360 titles.

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wil will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

The press release is up. It lists the contents of the Wii box: Wii console, Wii remote (w/ strap) Nunchuck attachment, Wii AC adaptor, Wii A/V cable, Wii console stand(?), sensor bar, sensor bar stand and two AA batteries.

and ...

Famitsu is reporting a December 2 launch and 25,000 yen ($215.51) price for Japan.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060914.html

2:09 a.m. EST [update 11]: Gemaga reports 3,800 yen cost for the remote, 1800 yen for the classic controller, and 1800 yen for the nunchuck attachment.

2:13 a.m. EST [update 12]: Famitsu reports 16 titles from ten publishers at launch. Cost of games: 4,800 yen to 6,800 yen. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will cost 6,800 yen.

2:16 a.m. EST [update 13]: Gemaga reports Wii Sports will not be a pack-in game, but will cost 4,800 yen and include five sports games.

Last edited by AeroStratos88; September 14, 2006 at 08:35am.

Too bad they're packing Wii sports in with the console, when they could leave it out for those of us with no interest and drop the price $30 or so....

Still welcome news, but the $250 tag will not exactly seperate it from the Core 360, which is rumored to drop to $250 before Thanksgiving.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface
    Too bad they're packing Wii sports in with the console, when they could leave it out for those of us with no interest and drop the price $30 or so....

Still welcome news, but the $250 tag will not exactly seperate it from the Core 360, which is rumored to drop to $250 before Thanksgiving.....

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...wii-date_x.htm

9:25 EST; Today, he says, Nintendo will explain its plans for altering the controller interface and the game.

Wii goes on sale November 19. "The worldwide debut of the Wii system happens right here in the Americas -- the same place where we debuted Nintendo DS. On November 19, it will be available at more than 25,000 points of distribution across the Americas. And with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $249.99. One price. One configuration. One color." Which is, for the record, white.

Plans to ship 4 million Wii consoles between launch and December 31. Americas will receive the largest share of stock.

Inside the box, you'll get the hardware, all the cables, the sensor bar. One Wii remote and one nunchuck controller.

Reggie says there are 40 demo units here today with more than two dozen Wii games. Some are updated versions of games and some are brand new -- that we've never seen before.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

Man that sucks. Haven't they learned by now that we want black consoles. I don't want a white console. I was gonna buy one at launch but now I'll just wait till the black unit comes out which will be about the time when they take Wii sports out and drop it to 200 bucks.
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; September 14, 2006 at 10:03am.

Question and Answer Session Begins

Q: How much are the remotes?

A: Wii remote is $39.99 and the nunchuck attachment is $19.99.

Q: What's up with Zelda for GameCube?

A: Zelda GameCube launches on December 11.

Q: What's the cost of accessing the Internet?

A: No cost through our system. You need an Internet connection at your home. Wii is Wi-Fi enabled.

Q: First-party games will be $49.99. Will third parties price at $59.99?

A: We encourage third parties to price appropriately.

Question about 16:9 games that can't be answered.

Q: Talk about integration between DS and Wii.

A: In the future we'll talk about that.

Q: Metroid Prime 3?

A: 2007 game.

Q: When we can we expect to play games online for Wii and what kind of interface?

A: What's been announced in Japan is that the first online multiplayer game is going to be Pokemon Battle that will be launching during their launch window in Japan. When can you expect that here in the US? Shortly thereafter.

Q: How will the Wii Points be translated to Canada?

: 2,000 Wi points will be $24 Canadian.

No Metroid Prime 3 at launch..... Better be frickin' sweet when it does launch. Now if we can just get a firm Virtual Console lineup, outside of what SEGA has already confirmed......

Ecco the Dolphin
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Golden Axe
    Columns
    ToeJam & Earl
    Ristar

: 2,000 Wi points will be $24 Canadian.
    Wii points???

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    Wii points???
    Same premise as XBOX Live Marketplace points. Buy the points in stores, upload them to your account, and spend them in the Wii Marketplace/Virtual Console Channel.....

Essentially, 500 Wii points=$5, 1000 Wii points=$10, etc.....

Ewww. So the Opera browser is $50?
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

30 Virtual Console games by the end of the year. Beginning in January, Nintendo will deliver 10 more VC games per month.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    The GUI interface is pretty neat. I do agree with AeroStratos: I really wanted a black console. If the XBOX 360 is dropping in price come November, may be Nintendo will drop the Wii to 229...don't they usually drop the price right before the system comes out anyways? I know they did it with the N64.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep
    The GUI interface is pretty neat. I do agree with AeroStratos: I really wanted a black console. If the XBOX 360 is dropping in price come November, may be Nintendo will drop the Wii to 229...don't they usually drop the price right before the system comes out anyways? I know they did it with the N64.
    A Nintendo price drop won't happen. The only reason the N64 dropped so quickly was to combat the PS1's price drop at the time. Only thing that they would conceiveably do is, at the last minute, offer a package without the Wii Sports for around $220. Which right now, doesn't sound like it will happen, given Reggie's statement that there will only be 1 configuration at launch....

Though I do agree on wanting a black system instad of the over-used "trendy" iPod white.....

Howdy

While this news is exciting I am awaiting tomorrow more. Friday 12pm Nintendo spill the beans on the European launch of the mighty Wii

Chris M

On such a newsworthy day for Nintendo, I also wanted to congradulate all of you, as this thread has stayed positive, thoughtful and respectful! I haven't had to do anything except delete back to back posts (I'm looking at you AeroStratos88 ) and that is just great.

So, thanks guys. We kept a video game thread open for months! Lets keep it up!

-Brett
    Who is all about the civilness.

={+}=

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Man, just the units shipping data ALONE is a huge plus for the big N.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Same premise as XBOX Live Marketplace points. Buy the points in stores, upload them to your account, and spend them in the Wii Marketplace/Virtual Console Channel.....

Essentially, 500 Wii points=$5, 1000 Wii points=$10, etc.....
    Wow, so now Nintendo is ripping off Microsoft I also hear the new design for the PS3 controller has a guide button just like the 360 controllers. I do realise that companies will somehow utilize good ideas other companies come up with as time goes on, but this is really sudden. Of course it's possible Nintendo thought this up some time ago before or after Microsoft, so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    On such a newsworthy day for Nintendo, I also wanted to congradulate all of you, as this thread has stayed positive, thoughtful and respectful! I haven't had to do anything except delete back to back posts (I'm looking at you AeroStratos88 ) and that is just great.

So, thanks guys. We kept a video game thread open for months! Lets keep it up!
    I am king of video game threads. I was kind of worried this thread would degenerate into a "my chosen console is better than yours" battle when I started it. I'm glad that didn't happen. Hooray!

I am king of video game threads. I was kind of worried this thread would degenerate into a "my chosen console is better than yours" battle when I started it. I'm glad that didn't happen. Hooray![/QUOTE]

Well, tha tmakes me GOD of Video Game threads!

I'm kidding, of course.

Until you incur my WRATH!

-Brett
    Who is of course kidding...kinda.

={+}=

:Cough:

I heard my name...

Howdy

I am pretty gutted that Metroid Prime 3 won't be released till next year. I knewa Zelda and Metroid game released together sounded to good to be true

2007 = Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros.Brawl and Metroid Prime 3. What a year that will be.

Chris M

WHAT A GUY
    Its been known for a while that MP3 was goiing to be released next year... but it doesnt really bother me there are plenty of decent titles at launch.

Zelda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.