Page 71 of 351 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 8757

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Hmmm... a slow week for VC games, IMO. Nothing on there really impresses me.
    How can you not like Tecmo Bowl, that was THE sports game before Madden came out (though if you dont like Sports I suppose its easy to not be enthused lol)

Esspecially when you can go out and get these same games on a disc with several of these games that will work on the same system that you are downloading these files to, for a collectively lower price. I don't get it sometimes.
    They are probably banking on the fact that people dont realize they can get all the games for cheaper elsewhere.

Its too bad we cant see the actual sales numbers of the VC games, I would be interested to see what is actually selling and what is being completely ignored.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    How can you not like Tecmo Bowl, that was THE sports game before Madden came out (though if you dont like Sports I suppose its easy to not be enthused lol)
    Well, that's just it. I'm not a sports fan and I never really have been.(though, ironically I do enjoy Wii Sports quite a bit) I remember Tecmo Bowl (meaning, I had heard of it, seen the box, and knew it existed), but it was never anything that really interested me.

I think aside from Wii Sports, the only other sports type games that I ever really got into were the NBA Jam games on SNES.

They are probably banking on the fact that people dont realize they can get all the games for cheaper elsewhere.

Its too bad we cant see the actual sales numbers of the VC games, I would be interested to see what is actually selling and what is being completely ignored.
    Yeah, that kind of stinks that they may be 'banking' on that fact. I just think it's rather a rip off. I mean, these VC games are cool for the most part, and they may seem cheap individually, but the cost adds up really quickly. And when they are charging $8 for an arguably marginal game, that gets to be pricey.

I also would be interested in seeing sales figures for the VC games, just to get an idea of how well they are selling. Particularly the more obscure titles.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Tecmo Bowl is the bomb! Hopefully they won't have changed the player names & numbers, because the team of choice is the '85 Bears! w00t!
    This space for rent, apparently.....

i never really got into sports games, but tecmo bowl was pretty good. i'm guessing tecmo super bowl will be a no-brainer

Howdy

More Spidey 3 goodness

Spider-Man 3 on DS
    Vicarious Visions gives us the scoop on the unique design of the handheld version.
    by Hilary Goldstein
    US, March 9, 2007 - For the past few years console owners have enjoyed exploring a wide-open Manhattan in several different Spider-Man games. DS owners haven't had such fortune. That changes this May with Spider-Man 3 from Vicarious Visions. Promising a massive streaming world that few could have imagined possible on DS, Spider-Man 3 could prove most exciting on Nintendo's handheld.

We spoke with Christopher Olson, producer on Spider-Man 3 DS to get the lowdown. Olson touches on everything from the size of Manhattan to touch screen controls to mission structure. It all sounds too good to be true, and yet is it true. Enjoy.

IGN DS: How did you manage to create a massive streaming world on DS? That sounds amazing.

Christopher Olson: We have a long history of putting a tremendous amount of effort into developing our handheld tools and technology. We've developed our DS technology to the point that we are able to stream textures and geometry straight into memory allowing us to create much larger and more detailed worlds. For Spider-man 3 DS we melded our technology with an interlocking city neighborhood design that allows players to freely traverse through the massive city environment.

IGN DS: Considering the limitations of the DS compared to PS2 and Wii, how big is the DS Manhattan?

Olson: In terms of the time it takes to get from one end of the city to the other and to explore up and down throughout the neighborhoods, I would say the DS is only a little bit smaller than the console versions. Compared to our previous handheld Spider-Man games, our city is huge! And there are so many missions and side stories to explore that players will be enjoying the game for many, many hours.

IGN DS: How are you utilizing the touch screen?

Olson: It's all about touch screen in the DS version! All of our combat, webbing and interaction is performed via touch screen gestures. This is really what sets the DS apart from all the other games. By using the touch screen we have given players unprecedented control over Spider-Man. The entire system is very intuitive; you swipe toward enemies to attack, swipe up to knock them into the air and double tap to web them. You can string together different swipes to perform all kinds of combos. In addition to the basic swipe mechanics, in certain situations you can use more complicated gestures to perform advanced moves like web rodeos, slams and tosses.

IGN DS: Are the Cinteractives going to be any different? Maybe an Elite Beat Agents-style touch-screen mini-game?

Olson: With the DS game we decided to stay away from mini-games both within the game and in the boss battles. Instead, we focused on fast action and deep combat and controls. The touch-screen combat system allows players to beat the game and level bosses the way they choose.

IGN DS: Is the mission structure any different on DS than on PS2 and Wii?

Olson: We followed a similar structure with our open world and non-linear story paths. We also shared a lot of story and character ideas. But all of the DS missions are unique to our platform and have their own feel. We also have a number of different types of missions to give the players more to do than just follow the storyline.

IGN DS: Is there anything unique about the black suit on DS as compared to the other versions?

Olson: We wanted the black-suit on the DS to flow seamlessly into gameplay. When Spider-Man gets angry enough he transforms into the black-suit automatically and starts to use his new abilities mid-fight. We also put a lot of effort into making the black-suit gameplay really feel like a stronger and more aggressive Spider-Man.

Spider-Man 3 ships for Nintendo DS in early May.

IGN link

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Yeah, that kind of stinks that they may be 'banking' on that fact. I just think it's rather a rip off. I mean, these VC games are cool for the most part, and they may seem cheap individually, but the cost adds up really quickly. And when they are charging $8 for an arguably marginal game, that gets to be pricey.

I also would be interested in seeing sales figures for the VC games, just to get an idea of how well they are selling. Particularly the more obscure titles.
    I have an SNES that I still have hooked up to my TV, and I have re-bought a few of the games I already own on the VC. Why? Because I currently have my Wii set up to my HDTV with component cables. The difference between the composite cables on the SNES and the component on the Wii is incredible. I've never seen Mario look so good!! So in my eyes, it's worth buying these games on the VC because the quality is loads better.

Also, you could always pick up these:

http://www.retrousb.com/wii.html

And then it really is like playing it on the original console!!!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Lurker View Post
    I have an SNES that I still have hooked up to my TV, and I have re-bought a few of the games I already own on the VC. Why? Because I currently have my Wii set up to my HDTV with component cables. The difference between the composite cables on the SNES and the component on the Wii is incredible. I've never seen Mario look so good!! So in my eyes, it's worth buying these games on the VC because the quality is loads better.

Also, you could always pick up these:

http://www.retrousb.com/wii.html

And then it really is like playing it on the original console!!!
    I agree, but that's not what I am arguing.

The Sonic Mega Collection was released for Gamecube, collecting all of the Sonic games from the Genesis era. I believe it was $30 when it first came out, and it's been in the $20 price range for quite a while now (you may even be able to buy it cheaper if you just look for good deals). It includes Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, all of the versions of connecting Sonic & Knuckles to those fore-mentioned Sonic Games, Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D Blast, and Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine (plus I think there are a few other classic Genesis games in there as well outside of the Sonic series).

This is a Gamecube disc (it was also later released for Xbox and PS2 with even more extras), and one that can probably still be found on some store shelves. The Wii plays Gamecube discs. So, playing a game like Sonic 1 or Sonic Spinball off of this disc through the Wii using compontent cables hooked to an HDTV is going to pretty much look no different than downloading those same games from the virtual console onto the Wii, and playing it on an HDTV using component cables.

However, the point is that the Genesis games cost about $8 a piece to download. So, just to download Sonic 1 and Sonic Spinball (both of which are currently available on the VC), it will cost you $16. Or, you can go buy a disc with the Entire Genesis Sonic library (which consists of all of the games I mentioned earlier), including those two games, for a mere $4 more, and not lose any of the quality and clarity that playing these games from the VC brings you.

I've noticed this with Xbox Live Arcade as well. A lot of old arcade games that have been released on discs like the Midway Arcade Collections, etc, are being released individually at $5 a piece. However, if you go get the actual discs that many of these games were already released on, you can get 10+ of these classic games for the same price as downloading 3 or 4 of them from Xbox Live Arcade.

I just think that some games should only be like $2 or $3. I hope/wonder if some of them will eventually go down in price.

I mean, I can see paying higher prices for solid classics like the primary Mario games, Zelda games, major arcade games that were extremely popular in arcades that are now on XBLA, etc. But when you get some of these weird, obscure titles, $5 (sometimes more) a pop starts to add up pretty quickly.

I really can't see spending $5 to download "Root Beer Tapper" from the Xbox Live Arcade. Or paying 8 for Sonic Spinball, which was arguably one of the worst Sonic Games to be released for the Genesis. Granted, Sonic 1 is a solid, popular game, but even that shouldn't cost more than $5, IMO.

I have nothing against rebuying a game on the VC that I still have for an older, classic system so I can play it nicely on my HDTV if the price is right and it's a worthwhile game. But I think that some of the prices are nuts, esspecially for games that collectively can be gotten much cheaper on already released compilation discs that are not that hard to get ahold of (and even games of similar calibur that just haven't had compilation discs yet/ever).
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; March 13, 2007 at 12:07am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    Quick question for Iron Avatar...how would one go about getting a job as a game developer, and how well does it pay....i just started college this year and that's always been a profession i've been interested in...
    A tough question to answer that one. What part of game development are you intersted in doing? If you let me know, I can give you a more helpful answer

Shouldnt their be a price drop, even if its just $20

I do not understand how you physically remove a part but yet say its the same price since its obviously missing something that was in there before.

I personally would wait and see how the unit functions on only software emulation, I mean this is Sony (or any company name here) telling you it will work just grand
    Quite probably because the part mentioned was never included in the original cost of the PS3. The inclusion of the EE in the PS3 was a last minute addition when the software emulation wasn't going as scheduled.

Look at it this way, Sony are still making a loss on the PS3 hardware. A big loss infact, so it makes no sense to reduce the price just because you're making a little bit less loss.

On a seperate note, IBM have started to manufacture 65nm Cell wafers. Although there's not destined for the PS3 right now, they might find thier way onto the next PS3 motherboard revision reducing the cost even further due to the posssibilaty of higher yields.

Quote Originally Posted by hemanrep View Post
    Hey guys, I hear that the European version, the one with limited BC is going to replace the current model in the US and Japan. Do you think it would be better to get the one that's out now, get the European version, or does it not matter? I'm pretty sure that the emulation for the EU model is going to be updated regularly just like the 360 and as long as they do that, I'm okay with it. It's just I'm about to buy a HDTV for my room and I thought may be a PS3 would be my next purchase soon after...so I'm just curious.
    I would think that would exactly be the case. As I said before, the EE was never intended to be part of the PS3 hardware and so it was only a matter of time before they chucked out that loss-making hardware. Apparently there are over 1,000 PS2 games that work fully with the PS3 so I think this is a good thing.

But Sony now claim that backwards compatability isn't such a big deal now, so why bother to blow the trumpet about it?
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    I would think that would exactly be the case. As I said before, the EE was never intended to be part of the PS3 hardware and so it was only a matter of time before they chucked out that loss-making hardware. Apparently there are over 1,000 PS2 games that work fully with the PS3 so I think this is a good thing.

But Sony now claim that backwards compatability isn't such a big deal now, so why bother to blow the trumpet about it?
    I think it's a big deal. If I were to get a PS3 in the next week or so (I got my new HDTV yesterday!) I wouldn't want to keep my PS2 and PS3 out at the same time. I haven't finished FFXII yet and God of War II is coming out tomorrow which means I need backwards compatibility, though I'm 99.9% sure those 2 particular games will play on the PS3.

Anyways, after I thought about it, I thought my question was kind of stupid. When I went and got my HDTV yesterday, I saw 5 PS3s sitting on the shelf....was tempted to get one, but seeing as though I had to buy HDMI or component cables, a game, and a system selector (Samsung only has 1 component input!), I decided it would be best to wait a little bit longer. I still have to buy component cables for my Wii and get a HD Cable box...man this is getting expensive!

Fortunately, the TV has a VGA connector so when I eventually get another 360, I can hook it up using my VGA cable.
    Last edited by hemanrep; March 13, 2007 at 03:12pm.

Fortunately, the TV has a VGA connector so when I eventually get another 360, I can hook it up using my VGA cable.
    You might want to check your manual and see if the VGA connector doubles as a Component input

My Olevia has a VGA in that can accept either regular VGA from a computer or component (its how my DVD player is hooked up) and the vga to component cable on ebay was $3

Just a thought in case you were looking for other component ins
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    You might want to check your manual and see if the VGA connector doubles as a Component input

My Olevia has a VGA in that can accept either regular VGA from a computer or component (its how my DVD player is hooked up) and the vga to component cable on ebay was $3

Just a thought in case you were looking for other component ins
    Thanks for the heads up! I actually haven't setup the TV yet...I'm trying to get a new TV stand and Wii component cables before I open the box. I want to be able to do everything in one sitting.

w00t! Going to pick up God of War 2 from Gamestop tonight! Already called and confirmed it's in.

Just wanted to share my excitement!

I think it's a big deal. If I were to get a PS3 in the next week or so (I got my new HDTV yesterday!) I wouldn't want to keep my PS2 and PS3 out at the same time.
    And yet again, Sony show us all just out of touch they can be with consumers
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. Today is thine. Misuse it not.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAvatar View Post
    And yet again, Sony show us all just out of touch they can be with consumers
    I think by saying that Backwards Compatibility wasn't an issue anymore, I think they meant that they believe most PS1 and PS2 games work on the PS3...I don't think they meant that no one wants to play PS1 or PS2 games on their PS3...but then again I can't be too sure, because I'm not a Sony exec.
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

Just a spoiler-free note on God of War 2, (loosely relating to MOTU) both Cam Clarke & Alan Oppenheimer do voice-over work in the game! And for those who didn't know, Harry Hamlin voices a fitting character for him. (3 guesses.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Just a spoiler-free note on God of War 2, (loosely relating to MOTU) both Cam Clarke & Alan Oppenheimer do voice-over work in the game! And for those who didn't know, Harry Hamlin voices a fitting character for him. (3 guesses.....)
    So how is GOW2? The commercial looks awesome, is it a worthy sequel?

So how is GOW2? The commercial looks awesome, is it a worthy sequel?
    Only got to play it for an hour or so last night, but it's still pretty fun! So far not too different from the first, (in terms of gameplay) so if you liked the original, this one seems like a no-brainer!

Hmm...aside from Prince Adam, doesn't Cam Clarke do Liquid Snake as well?
    "After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"

Quote Originally Posted by PJMania View Post
    Hmm...aside from Prince Adam, doesn't Cam Clarke do Liquid Snake as well?
    Yep.

And TONS of other voice-over work, including Leonardo from the original TMNT cartoon.

Former Wrestling Fanatic Wrestling Fanatic's Avatar
    Heck, I'm still trying to beat this game.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    I want a He-Man.org T-Shirt !!!!!

Hi,

I donīt know you, but Iīm dying to play this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWWuTdHBegE

Itīs a shame that the Wii is not Region-Free , so the only chance is that the game can make it to America, at least the anime is licenced on the US with the name of "Fighting Spirit"

I looks so cool

Later...
    Have You Ever Felt the True Power of the Cosmo?

Anybody else download the classic TMNT arcade game from Xbox live yet? God I missed this game in it's non NES-port form! (I'm not big into ROMs....)

A really interesting interview with Mark Rein on the PS3 and Sony bashing. While I don't agree with everything he always says (much of this may be to do with the hell that Unreal Engine put me through) I'm quite surprised with his comments.

I thought Epic were firmly in M$ pockets of late given the XB360 exclusivity with GoW and the big shift towards supporting xb360 over PS3.

Anyhow...you can read the interview here

Yep.

And TONS of other voice-over work, including Leonardo from the original TMNT cartoon.
    Howdy

Woah really? Awesome.

Another prolific VG actor is Dwight Shultz - or Howling Mad Murdock.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling Fanatic View Post
    Heck, I'm still trying to beat this game.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    I remember playing that in elementary school.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.