Page 8 of 352 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Howdy

Euro Wii Price and Date Announced
    Nintendo finally gives us Europeans the news we've been waiting for.
    by Matt Wales
    UK, September 15, 2006 - Speaking at its European Wii press conference today, Nintendo has finally revealed that its forthcoming console will hit shelves across the territory on 8 December, priced at £179 in the UK and 249 Euros in Europe. Games will cost between £34-£39 (49-50 Euros).

For their money, European customers will recieve a spanking new Wii console, one Wiimote and nunchuck attachment, alongside a copy of Nintendo's family-friendly Wii showcase, Wii Sports. The package will also include an AC adaptor, A/V cable, console stand, sensor bar, sensor bar stand and two AA batteries.

Also from launch, punters can pick up extra Wiimote's for the princely sum of £29/€39, nunchuck attachments for £14/€19 and that all-important Virtual Console-aiding Classic Controller, priced at £14/€19.

Previously, Nintendo has announced that the Wii will launch first in the US on November 19 at $249.99 and later in Japan on December 2, retailing for 25,000 yen. Wii Sports will not be included with the Wii bundle in Japan, instead selling seperately for 4800 yen.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...F732712p1.html

Woo HOO come on, Ninty haven't let us Euro's down

Euro Virtual Console Details Emerge
    Retro launch titles and European pricing announced at Nintendo's London Wii event.
    by Matt Wales
    UK, September 15, 2006 - As part of its all-encompassing Wii event, being held today in London's Docklands, Nintendo has revealed specifics on its Virtual Console serivce, set to offer retro classics and new titles to Wii owners from launch.

A total of 15 Virtual Console titles will available to European gamers during the launch period. Nintendo also revealed that an additional 5-10 classic titles will be available for download every month.

Prices are tiered with NES games available for 500 "Wii Points" at £3.50/€5, SNES games will cost 800 points (£5.60/€8) and N64 will set you back 1000 points, or £7/€10. The pricing for titles on other formats - SEGA Mega Drive, TurboGrafx and MSX - has yet to be confirmed. You'll be able to pick up point cards at retail outlets, with 2000 points weighing in at £14/€20.

In addition to games for those older systems, the Wii will be backwards compatible with some 530 GameCube titles from day one as previously announced.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...F732715p1.html

Chris M
    Last edited by shigsy2003; September 15, 2006 at 02:02pm.
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Boooooooooo! Booooooooo to $336 Wii in the UK! Booooo! Shame on you Nintendo!

I can tell you that I'm not as thrilled about all this news as I thought I'd be. I was expecting a $199 US price point for the system, and am disapointed that Wii Sports is included. I would rather have two controllers (with nunchucks) and maybe even a VC controller rather than Wii Sports. They could have just had some demos on the VC rather than actually pack the game in. Although at least it's 5 games and not 3 anymore.

The controller is priced pretty high. I don't expect to get more than one extra controller and nunchuck for a long time.

I just really hope the system launches at no more than $299 CDN. And why no NHL 07? It makes no sense! They have Madden 07. Was it just too much for EA Sports to completely revamp more than one sports franchise? They better have NHL 08 for the Wii.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    Boooooooooo! Booooooooo to $336 Wii in the UK! Booooo! Shame on you Nintendo!
    That's about what it's gonna cost americans too.

System 250, complete second controller, which your gonna want cause the Wii is all about playing together right,60 bucks (Wii mote $40, nunchuck $20), a game worth playing (Eg: Zelda) 50 bucks plus tax on the whole thing. 360 plus tax. Add in some VC dowloads and if you don't want to use your credit card online you'll have to buy a Wii points card (20 bucks) and you got yourself a 400 dollar system.

I think Peer Schneider summed it up.

"Although Nintendo downplays that it's over promised on a few accounts, let's not forget that we've been told that Wii would not be last to launch this generation (but it is), it'll play DVDs (it won't), we'd be playing Smash Bros. online at launch (we won't -- or any other game online until next year), and the psychological price gap between the Wii and the Xbox 360 isn't really any larger than the difference between the GameCube and the original Xbox depending on what accessories you want to buy with it at launch. Oh, and there's no Metroid Prime 3 until 2007 and the system will launch without a Mario game after all. That's a lot of broken promises."

Theres a good breakdown of all the news here.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...l-ever-need%2F
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; September 15, 2006 at 08:21pm.

I have a question. How much longer is Sony going to be releasing new games for the PS2? Will it be essentially once the PS3 gets released (in other words no more PS2 games in January, say)? Or will they release games for it for longer than that?

I ask because the thought has crossed my mind to get both a Wii and a PS2 so I can play games that Nintendo doesn't offer (both current gen with GC and next gen with Wii). Games like NHL 07 and Justice League. I'm sure there are many others.

I'm not sure if I will get both, but I would like to explore the possibility and if PS2 games get released for another 6 months, then I might get both.

So, does anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan
    I have a question. How much longer is Sony going to be releasing new games for the PS2? Will it be essentially once the PS3 gets released (in other words no more PS2 games in January, say)? Or will they release games for it for longer than that?

I ask because the thought has crossed my mind to get both a Wii and a PS2 so I can play games that Nintendo doesn't offer (both current gen with GC and next gen with Wii). Games like NHL 07 and Justice League. I'm sure there are many others.

I'm not sure if I will get both, but I would like to explore the possibility and if PS2 games get released for another 6 months, then I might get both.

So, does anybody know?
    Howdy

Don't quote me on this but I would have thought that Sony would still be supporting the PS2 for a year or two after the release of the PS3 as the massive user base the PS2 has. Unless of course Sony are arrogant enough to think they will gain the same market share/sales figuers with the PS3.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by DamageCity
    Wii + PS3 for me, though I will probably not buy the PS3 for a year or two after launch when they work some of the bugs out and the good games start coming in.
    Same here, I'll let them work out the kinks first, besides the Wii is a lot cheaper in comparison.

So, does anybody know?
    In short the PS2 suppourt isn't going anywhere. They are announcing 100 new titles at this year's Tokyo Game Show alone.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...F732687p1.html

and later this year we have.

* Rule of Rose (September 12)
    * Okami (September 19)
    * God Hand (October 10)
    * Bully (October 17)
    * Final Fantasy XII (October 31)
    * Rogue Galaxy (October)
    * Guitar Hero II (November 7)
    Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
    Mortal Kombat Armageddon (won't hit Wii till March)
    Phantasy Star Universe
    Sega Genesis Collection (has every game already listed for Wii VC and more minus Toe Jam & Earl)
    Capcom Classics 2

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...F730108p1.html
    Last edited by AeroStratos88; September 16, 2006 at 02:14am.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shigsy2003
    Howdy

I am pretty gutted that Metroid Prime 3 won't be released till next year. I knewa Zelda and Metroid game released together sounded to good to be true

2007 = Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros.Brawl and Metroid Prime 3. What a year that will be.

Chris M
    Hey Chris, if you think all 3 of those games are coming out next year, you haven't learned your lesson with MP3 and TP. We should also be seeing Animal Crossing next year as well. Hmmm. I wonder which will be delayed...I say Brawl.

Pokemon Battle is a launch Title in Japan so we should be getting ours around March. I understand why it isn't one here cause they haven't released Pearl/Diamond to the US yet. I know people don't like Pokemon but.. this game is the first game said to utilize the Wii Online service and the first game listed as having DS/Wii functionality. So...

Interesting info about the PS2. I just might look into it then

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    I can tell you that I'm not as thrilled about all this news as I thought I'd be. I was expecting a $199 US price point for the system,
    The price of the Wii is exactly what we were all led to expect. We've all been told for a while now that the Wii would probably cost $250. I'm more disappointed in the release date. I was looking forward to the Wii being released the first week of October so I could get one as a birthday present to myself and enjoying it during my vacation.

and am disapointed that Wii Sports is included.
    While it's cool Nintendo is once again including a game with a system during it's launch (something I don't think has been done since Super Nintendo), why Wii Sports? I see a lot of people unloading tons of copies of Wii Sports on game stores within days of the system's launch.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    While it's cool Nintendo is once again including a game with a system during it's launch (something I don't think has been done since Super Nintendo), why Wii Sports? I see a lot of people unloading tons of copies of Wii Sports on game stores within days of the system's launch.
    Howdy

I think the main reason is because it highlights the Wiimote's capabilities to great effect rather than showing of the graphical capabilities (Twilight Princess). I am very happy it is included as I was going to buy it anyway, my main disappointment is Prime 3, I now have to move onto my second choice game Red Steel, not that that is a bad thing but I love the Prime games.

Have Nintendo announced Twilight Princess' European Gamecube launch? I think they forgot. I want the GC version not the Wii version.

Chris M

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford
    The price of the Wii is exactly what we were all led to expect. We've all been told for a while now that the Wii would probably cost $250. I'm more disappointed in the release date. I was looking forward to the Wii being released the first week of October so I could get one as a birthday present to myself and enjoying it during my vacation.

yeah i know they had said it would be no more than 250, but i figured they'd go for the trusty 199 figure.

the release date is something i forgot to mention. i thought it would be out first week of november at latest. why would they wait to compete with PS3? i thought it would be better logic to release it a few weeks before PS3, or maybe even a month.

i suppose they know what they're doing though.

yeah i know they had said it would be no more than 250, but i figured they'd go for the trusty 199 figure.

the release date is something i forgot to mention. i thought it would be out first week of november at latest. why would they wait to compete with PS3? i thought it would be better logic to release it a few weeks before PS3, or maybe even a month.

i suppose they know what they're doing though.
    Howdy

Yes but either way they couldn't win. If they released it in early November or hey even October then there may have been massive hardware shortages and not as many launch games so people would still be unhappy.

Atleaset Nintendo will get the upper hand in Europe though

Chris M

The gamecube came with plenty of pack in games. The Wii Sports is just at launch it's not a mario game that's gonna be in every system sold through the life of the console.

That's the other reason people are mad about the price. Cause we all know how much it's costing Nintendo to make the system and believe it when they say it could have come under 200 and still made a profit.

They said no more than 250. And then made people wait and hype and speculate just to release the info a penny cheaper. And then you have to pay 60 bucks for a complete controller. Whens the last time you spent that much on a controller. The controller is more expensive than the games. And the Retro controllers not gonna be out for a while. I don't really want VC with out a classic controller.

Then they don't let anyone on to their online network, until next year. Developers haven't even seen the thing yet. I don't know all this is adding up to be something that could blow up in their faces.

What's the point of showing us 5 colors and making only one available at launch. Geuss they think if it worked for the DS it will work for the Wii. Except that Handhelds and Consoles aren't even the same market.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroStratos88
    The gamecube came with plenty of pack in games. The Wii Sports is just at launch it's not a mario game that's gonna be in every system sold through the life of the console.

That's the other reason people are mad about the price. Cause we all know how much it's costing Nintendo to make the system and believe it when they say it could have come under 200 and still made a profit.

They said no more than 250. And then made people wait and hype and speculate just to release the info a penny cheaper. And then you have to pay 60 bucks for a complete controller. Whens the last time you spent that much on a controller. The controller is more expensive than the games. And the Retro controllers not gonna be out for a while. I don't really want VC with out a classic controller.

Then they don't let anyone on to their online network, until next year. Developers haven't even seen the thing yet. I don't know all this is adding up to be something that could blow up in their faces.

What's the point of showing us 5 colors and making only one available at launch. Geuss they think if it worked for the DS it will work for the Wii. Except that Handhelds and Consoles aren't even the same market.
    take the controller ($60) and the game ($40) out of the equation, that leaves that actual system being about $150. i really don't think nintendo is making that much money off it. people need to remember nintendo only does games. microsoft has windows and sony has their tvs/stereos. nintedno really can't afford to sell their systems at a loss like the 2 others.

as afr as the controller what about it made people think it was going to be cheap. consider everything that is packed into that sucker, motion sensing, memory, microphone, speaker, and the list goes on. to get wirelss xbox 360 controller and a xbox live mic, it costs over $60. plus while they didn't say anything about it there is some hope that they might offer a combined wiimote/nunchuck for a little cheaper than the sperate ones, maybbe $55 or something.

i too am dissappointed about nintendo's online, but it is something almost entirely new to them. or atleast i hope it is since i don't want it set up like the ds wifi network.

as far as the colors go, did you really expect to get more than a color or two at lauch. it e\never happens, companies always shows an abundance of colors just to please the eye of magazines and anyone who reports on games. sony is doing the same thing, there will only be one color ps3 and there is only one color xbox 360. it does make sense for nintendo to only ship one color at lauch too. that way the don't have to worry about gettting the ratios right. people won't walk into the store wanting a black one and find only white and therefore not buy.

Quote Originally Posted by phishpheeder
    take the controller ($60) and the game ($40) out of the equation, that leaves that actual system being about $150. i really don't think nintendo is making that much money off it. people need to remember nintendo only does games. microsoft has windows and sony has their tvs/stereos. nintedno really can't afford to sell their systems at a loss like the 2 others.

as afr as the controller what about it made people think it was going to be cheap. consider everything that is packed into that sucker, motion sensing, memory, microphone, speaker, and the list goes on. to get wirelss xbox 360 controller and a xbox live mic, it costs over $60. plus while they didn't say anything about it there is some hope that they might offer a combined wiimote/nunchuck for a little cheaper than the sperate ones, maybbe $55 or something.

i too am dissappointed about nintendo's online, but it is something almost entirely new to them. or atleast i hope it is since i don't want it set up like the ds wifi network.

as far as the colors go, did you really expect to get more than a color or two at lauch. it e\never happens, companies always shows an abundance of colors just to please the eye of magazines and anyone who reports on games. sony is doing the same thing, there will only be one color ps3 and there is only one color xbox 360. it does make sense for nintendo to only ship one color at lauch too. that way the don't have to worry about gettting the ratios right. people won't walk into the store wanting a black one and find only white and therefore not buy.
    Uhm... The 360 came with chrome accents on the premium and they had different face plates from launch. The PS3 will come in Black and silver on launch. And Yes I personally as stated in a previous post will not get one at launch anymore cause I want a black one. And not only I but others on this board have stated that they wanted a black one over the white.

Variants is Nintendos thing. They come out with a hundred variants on the same game/system before a new version comes out. If Japan can get colors that don't pertain to gaming period (hello did that Hello Kitty/Pokemon/Pepsi DS really highten anything) then why is it so hard for the US to get colors. White is not a color people like in their home electronics period. I bet you the Black GameCube sold alot better than the Purple. Which subsequently were both available at launch. There were also silver and a blue GBA SP and also 3 colors for the GBA when it launched. So releasing systems in different colors isn't new to Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't release "new" technology. Never happens. They release stuff that's been out for a while is now affordable to market. THe controller doesn't cost that much. The game itself cost maybe completed 5 bucks to press and package. The system itself doesn't cost much to make either. If they can ship a gamecube for 99 and it comes with a game that's still on shelves for 49.99 then you tell me that they can't make a Wii for under 250.

If their statement about making gaming not only affordable and accesiable to all audiences is true and if the controller as you say is indeed the most expensive thing on the system to make then maybe it shouldn't be the standard but optional.

Irrespective of any ideological issues surrounding the price and technology underpinning the Wii! Nintendo's next generation console remains compelling and I've already pre-ordered mine along with Metroid Prime and Zelda!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

As far as I recall, Gamecube did not come with a pack-in game at launch. Neither did the original Xbox. Both of them eventually came with pack-in games down the road, usually as extra incentive to buy during the holiday season.

When's the last time someone paid $60 for a controller? Well, for Xbox 360, the wireless controller on its own is $50, then to get the battery pak with cord for recharging it, that's another $20, thus making it $70, which is still $10 more than the average Xbox 360 game, and the 360 games are $10 more than what the Wii games should go for.

As for the online network thing... yeah, I can see why people are upset about the lack of online play at launch. But its not going to stop me from making the purchase, as I personally don't care for online play. IMO, it is WAY over rated.

The colors? Well, I would prefer a black system over white, but white's not bad.

System 250, complete second controller, which your gonna want cause the Wii is all about playing together right,60 bucks (Wii mote $40, nunchuck $20), a game worth playing (Eg: Zelda) 50 bucks plus tax on the whole thing. 360 plus tax. Add in some VC dowloads and if you don't want to use your credit card online you'll have to buy a Wii points card (20 bucks) and you got yourself a 400 dollar system.

Well, that's nothing really new or surprising to me. Ok, maybe the cost of the controller is a little high, but as I pointed out earlier, its about what an Xbox 360 controller costs. And when you compare that to getting the premium Xbox 360 for $400 from the get go, then still having to buy another game, extra controller, etc... that cost adds up more. And then with PS3, the situation will be worse.

The $250 price point doesn't surprise me at all. It's right in line with what they had been saying all along, so I don't see what there is to be upset over. Would it have been nice if it had cost less? Of course. But anyone who flat out expected a lower price, which was never promised, was just fooling themselves.

Variants is Nintendos thing. They come out with a hundred variants on the same game/system before a new version comes out. If Japan can get colors that don't pertain to gaming period (hello did that Hello Kitty/Pokemon/Pepsi DS really highten anything) then why is it so hard for the US to get colors. White is not a color people like in their home electronics period. I bet you the Black GameCube sold alot better than the Purple. Which subsequently were both available at launch. There were also silver and a blue GBA SP and also 3 colors for the GBA when it launched. So releasing systems in different colors isn't new to Nintendo.
    Variants are Nintendo's thing... you are right on that one. And I am surprised that more variation isn't coming out at launch. Though, to some degree, I actually applaud Nintendo for this decision. The people who REALLY want the system at launch will buy it, regardless of the color. And depending on how in-demand this system is and how well it sells, this will prevent someone from being stuck with a certain color that they weren't hoping to get because the one that they did want sold out. So, it makes sense to me.

I would prefer a black system over a white one, but white isn't too bad, IMO. The 360 is white, and so is the Dreamcast, both of which I have.

I admit, the black Gamecube was preferable over the purple, and was probably more desired overall (I don't even think they've made the purple one for a while, because all I've seen at the stores recently have been the black and silver versions).

However, white is at least a neutral color. It's not something that's going to stand out in a horrible, childish way like purple. So, that's not a bad color choice. Silver and white seem to be becoming more and more of a popular choice amongst modern electronics in general, so that fits right in.

So, all in all I am still getting the Wii. Sure, some of Nintendo's big titles got pushed back to next year (not surprising), and the release date now about a month or so later than orignally planned. They still aren't coming up nearly as short on their promises as Sony is with PS3. And most of the stuff that isn't happening right away with Wii doesn't concern me much, with the the exception of a few games that I want to get my hands on. But for PS3, most of the games that they've announced for it for release over the course of the next year are nothing that I feel I really desperately want, so that's a system that I can put on a perpetual back burner until something that I care about comes out (and I have a feeling that will be quite a ways off).

All in all, IMO, Wii's short comings are minimal, and I still plan to get the system when it comes out.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I must be one of the lucky ones I geuss. Since all my systems bought at launch still work.

And I payed no more than 420 for my Xbox 360 around launch which came with the premium system 1 extra wireless controller *first party and a play and charge unit free. Which I didn't even use till Dead Rising. That thing is Ghetto. You have to plug it into the system and then it stays on after you boot the system down. I would have preferred an A/C unit that you plug in else where so it can be charging while your playing instead of having to be wired to the system.

If I've bought any systems more than once they have all been Nintendo systems. I bought the DS Lite at launch and here it is 3 months or so short months later and I bought another one to have it in black just to have the color I wanted in the first place.

A system at launch will sell regardless of color. Heck it can come as an empty box with a willy wonka ticket in it that says you'll get one in 4 months and people would still buy it. Esp. Around the holidays. Yes the 360 is white and when it came out there was alot of complaints about the color so it wasn't like ohh it's the future. This whole white shift can be attributed to the IPOD. Which is fine for something your gonna carry around on you. But not something that's gonna sit next to your tv. Whens the last time you saw a white Tv. The dreamcast to me anyway had a grey tint to it. And the highly sought after dreamcast was the sports one, the black one. I love that DC.

Black is sleek and sexxy not bland like white.

You know to be honest this whole generation of consoles all 3 of them has me feeling really ambivalent. It's like some are trying to do too much of nothing and others are trying to do to little of something. But none of it adds up to anything. Somewhere along the way the industry took a sharp turn off road and they aren't even on the map any more.

It can also be argued that the games for the 360 are higher cause your paying for "Next Gen" technology and graphics. The Wii has been called many things but hardly if ever "Next Gen"

IIt can also be argued that the games for the 360 are higher cause your paying for "Next Gen" technology and graphics. The Wii has been called many things but hardly if ever "Next Gen"
    Howdy

I agree Wii is not 'Next Gen' it is 'New Gen'. Sony and Microsoft can keep re-hashing the same games with the same control (unless you steal things like Sony) but Nintendo are giving us a completely new way to play. They are in a league of their own with no competition (direct).

Let me guess what some of you may say "but Nintendo is re-hashing the same games" true but the great thing with Ninty is they always add something new. Whether it be Yoshi, multi character choice, musical instruments, time travel etc they also make the same franchises seem fresh and exciting. Something a company like say EA don't.

Okay so their launch won't be perfect, name me one launch that has been where NO ONE has moaned. You can't please all of the people all of the time. I just want the console, I don't care of the colour, price (system, controllers) etc I just want it. Okay so I maybe starting to sound like a fan boy but I ain't. I know Nintendo is making some mistakes but I am to excited to care at the moment. Maybe when I look back in retrospect I will be a bit disppointed in Nintendo, but for now role of Chrimbo.

Chris M

Heroic Warrior
    you've got to be kidding about the little chrome tray stolt making a difference on the xbox 360. as far as faceplates i am sure some thrid party will quickly release skins for the system and sony has said the ps3 will only be in black. link

and whatever you want to refer to the technology in the controller as, it still is not cheap and has alot more than the xbxo360 controller which seems to sell just fine. as for games costing 5 bucks to press and apckage they also cost millions upon millions to design. remember nintendo is not a non-profit organization, like any other business they are in it for the money.

as far as making the controller optional that really doesn't make much sense as that is what is unique about the system. in today's world $250 is not that much money and it is still less than the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by asharachal
    so i think nintendo is on track in trying to reach the broader market they are want to win back into the gaming world.
    My mom sounds really interested in the surgery game after I told her about it. lol, and the cooking game. my dad wants to try out the WiiSports Golf game. So it seems to be working. We'll see how well it plays when it comes out on November 19th.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.