Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite/Best New Adventures Episodes?

The Bride of Slushhead is one of my top favorites. Even though it wouldn't make sense continuity-wise, this wedding episode should've been saved for the very last one. Too funny seeing the mutants all dressed up in tuxedos. Staghorn ruining the cake by jumping out of it. Oh and there's a part where Gepple (one of the scientists) gets slapped across the face and says something like: "WHY did you do that?!"

"I saw it in a movie."

Gepple: "This isn't a movie! This is a cartoon!"

Four Ways To Sundown and Final Invasion are also in the Top 5 for me.
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 16, 2009 at 08:29am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

'The Bride of Slush Head' is one of my favorites as well. To this day, I want a Tuxedo Skeletor!

After viewing a majority of the episodes, I'd have to say that The Final Invasion is my favorite episode. It was a nice way to end the season/series. The only thing I would have done a little differently is to send He-Man back to Eternia at the end. Mutiny on the Mothership might be my second favorite. I enjoy the Staghorn character, but hate his design with those antler things.

Court Magician

List of the best NA episodes?

Hey All,

Anyone have a top ten list of the best New Adventures episodes?

Shawn

Looking back over the scores when I Watched NA for the First Time Ever.

Personally it would seem that my top 10 based on my score out of 10 for each episode that I gave it after viewing were:

38. Four Ways to Sundown. (10/10)
    15. The battle for Levitan (9.7/10)
    12. Skeletors Victory (9.5/10)
    13. He-man in Exile (9.5/10)
    6. Sword and Staff (9/10)
    10. Festival of Lights (9/10)
    14. The Seeds of Resistance (9/10)
    20. Fading Star (9/10)
    21. Skeletors Revenge (9/10)
    29. He-Caz (9/10)
    31. The Galactic Guardians (9/10)

Which is eleven, but given that they have the same score, it's a top 11. The above ranking is based on score first, then lower episode number; so just because Festival of Lights is above The Galactic Guardians doesn't mean it's better, just a lower episode number.
    Last edited by Pravus Prime; October 23, 2012 at 03:34pm.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Heroic Warrior
    That's not a bad top ten/eleven, to be honest. Not watched my NA DVDs for more than a year but seeing as I had a hand in the materials for them I've watched them all, say, at least once or twice, enough to have an opinion...

"The Running of the Herd" is definitely the best episode.

The second five-parter, spanning episodes 11 through 15, is great as well, although I prefer the first five-parter (episodes 1 to 5).

I hated "Four Ways To Sundown" the first time I watched it and have loved every time I've watched it subsequently. I was only 8 when I first saw it and I just didn't get it. Age made the difference.

"Sword & Staff" is very well thought of and is a good coda to the first five-parter or a bridge between it and the rest of the series.

The other episodes on the list, "Skeletor's Revenge" aside, are good indicators of the quality of the series. I might maybe substitute them with "Juggernaut", "The Sheriff of Gorn City", "Glastnost Schmaznost" and/or "Escape From Gaolotia".

Master of New Adventures!
    It's a good list and as the creator of the series and writer of thirty-seven of its episodes, I mostly concur...although I confess I thought after some of Pravus' frequently scathing reviews I didn't think he'd deign to find ten best episodes. I suppose one tends to see the assaults on one's work more than the praise. At least that's the case for me, and for that I'm grateful as I look more for constructive negative reviews since I learn more from them. And Pravus' reviews were mostly on target..if occasionally painfully so.

My two faves, btw, were Four Ways to Sundown and The Running of the Herd. When you're on a delivery schedule that requires you to go from writing story springboards to beat outlines to scripts and multiple revisions of thirty-seven episodes in seventeen weeks...well, every episode isn't going to be CITIZEN KANE. On balance, however, I'm pleased that some fans can pick ten excellent episodes out of the thirty-seven I wrote. Heck, if one's batting around .250 in baseball then one's pulling in a seven-figure salary.

As an aside for the film buffs here, can anyone guess what amazing -- and personal favorite -- director I was giving homage to with Four Ways to Sundown...and, for bonus points, what film of his it was loosely based upon?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 24, 2012 at 02:14am.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It's a good list and as the creator of the series and writer of thirty-seven of its episodes, I mostly concur...although I confess I thought after some of Pravus' frequently scathing reviews I didn't think he'd deign to find ten best episodes. I suppose one tends to see the assaults on one's work more than the praise. At least that's the case for me, and for that I'm grateful as I look more for constructive negative reviews since I learn more from them. And Pravus' reviews were mostly on target..if occasionally painfully so.
    LOL, I was wondering if perhaps your staying out of the revived review thread was because the comments were starting to pile up on you, elephant thick skin notwithstanding.

Also, in total honesty, I knew I'd have a top 10, I just wasn't sure how far down number 10 would have to be scorewise; when compiling the list initially I was taking everything that I scored above 8 to see how many episodes that was and if I'd have to dip further down. I was surprised when that left me with way too many episodes! (I had another two episodes between 8.1 and 8.9)

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    As an aside for the film uffs here, can anyone guess what amazing -- and personal favorite -- director I was giving homage to with Four Ways to Sundown...and, for bonus points, what film of his it was loosely based upon?
    Uhh... didn't I answer that (and part of the reason I gave the episode a perfect score) when I gave the episode a 10/10 score?

Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon, who I'll admit is a favorite filmaker of mine. Or were you instead referencing (based on those comments) Martin Ritt's The Outrage?
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

No. Actually I felt it was respectful, in recognition to the amount of work you put into the effort, for me to stay out of the thread until you completed your reviews. As most here know -- and as you show you're obviously aware by quoting my oft-used "elephant-thick skin" simile -- I always welcome comments and criticisms...especially when they're given in a civil and respectful manner as yours were.

No quarterback -- to use a sports analogy -- throws a perfect pass every time. But I will say, like most quarterbacks, I give my best effort every time.

I didn't note the 10/10 score as I ascribe to the concept of grading on the curve and throw out/ignore the top and bottom scores. You are, of course, correct about Kurosawa and I am correct in saying that your reviews were often incisive, sometimes in opposition to my own opinions but always entertaining. Thank you for your efforts...and thank heavens someone in the universe still knows who Akira Kurosawa is.

Best,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    LOL, I was wondering if perhaps your staying out of the revived review thread was because the comments were starting to pile up on you, elephant thick skin notwithstanding.

Also, in total honesty, I knew I'd have a top 10, I just wasn't sure how far down number 10 would have to be scorewise; when compiling the list initially I was taking everything that I scored above 8 to see how many episodes that was and if I'd have to dip further down. I was surprised when that left me with way too many episodes! (I had another two episodes between 8.1 and 8.9)

Uhh... didn't I answer that (and part of the reason I gave the episode a perfect score) when I gave the episode a 10/10 score?

Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon, who I'll admit is a favorite filmaker of mine. Or were you instead referencing (based on those comments) Martin Ritt's The Outrage?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 24, 2012 at 02:22am.

I'm terrible at remembering episode names but the first six episodes, plus "The Galactic Guardians" and "The Running of the Herd" are some of my favourites.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I just came across this thread again as it was recently referenced and it reminded me of another instance in which I did an homage to another director -- this time the great Orson Welles. While in this case it was an episode I wrote ages ago for Super Mario Brothers, I was astounded -- years later -- to find a reviewer actually figured out that I was doing a respectful, if tongue-in-cheek, spoof of CITIZEN KANE.

It's surely one of the nice benefits of being a writer that from time to time you are able to send a loving shout-out and wink-of-the-eye, through your own work, to writers and directors that you love and who influenced your work.

Here's the review. A lot of fun and very incisive, I think. I wrote many episodes for that show, but this one was far and away my favorite:

http://smichaelbrady.hubpages.com/hu...d-Citizen-Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Any other intertextual or literary references of note in your episodes, Jack? The reason I ask is because I spoke to Steven J. Fisher a few years ago (he wrote "Fading Star", the Dukan episode) and we talked a little bit about how John Wayne was a little bit of a model for Dukan (most noticeably in the incorporation of his nickname in the name of the character).

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I have only watched the 1st episode so far, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch more.

Also loved seeing Jack's name
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.