Thread: Help! Art Thief on ebay!

Help! Art Thief on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTERS-OF-THE-U...QQcmdZViewItem

I know this is artwork done by a german board member here.
    I feel horrible because I've forgotten his username.

If you know who he is, I'm pretty sure it's not the guy using his art on ebay!!!

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior Buffalo-Bill-Man's Avatar
    That looks like Deimos's work.

I really hope the seller has his permission, but from the looks of his other auctions he probably just prints the stuff off his inkjet, and hopes no one notices

BBM-
    Last edited by Buffalo-Bill-Man; December 7, 2006 at 09:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTERS-OF-THE-U...QQcmdZViewItem

I know this is artwork done by a german board member here.
    I feel horrible because I've forgotten his username.

If you know who he is, I'm pretty sure it's not the guy using his art on ebay!!!

That sucks Nate, you know I go out of my way to protect what you do for me......I dare them to rip you off!

Gaaaaa, now I'm really steaming.

Please, each and every one of you artists/writers - have your work protected and copywrited. I will never post a complete work of my book [s] in a public domain. I would encourage all to do the same, if it is an original work that you love and intend to have published.

Baena's work is safe, what he has done as I give credit and my book is copywrited and the next part has gone to the editors......but for the others - PROTECT your work!!!!

You are all so talented - this is completely uncallled for, I will also inquire with my editors to see what can be done about this constant stealing of artistic work. This is illegal and these people will PAY for what they have done - not only to the people that they stole from, but fines and hopefull do time!

Kittrina is on the job - I'll find out tomorrow.....I promise.

That sucks...

I totally remember seeing this art work on here. Since I am not a member at ebay, I am not sure how to contact ebay about this. I think I looked before when I noticed someone in another country stealing someone's yoda drawing, but couldn't find any contact info to complain about it.

Please keep us posted, I want to know what happens to this person.

I don't know how it works either to report someone like that, or how one goes about going after someone like that.

It seems Demios (Sorry I forgot your name earlier friend.) would have to contact them?

I know there are folks here who've done this. (gone after slime) How do we do it?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I don't know how it works either to report someone like that, or how one goes about going after someone like that.

It seems Demios (Sorry I forgot your name earlier friend.) would have to contact them?

I know there are folks here who've done this. (gone after slime) How do we do it?
    Speaking with Lawyers and my editors today when the firms in the US are open. We'll find a way......this is so wrong, and I want them to suffer for stealing from all of us that put our blood, sweat and tears into our work. I do my work, not because I care about the money, but because I want my girl's story told - and all of those that have helped me get full credit - people that steal will get their credit as well as their comeuppance if I have anything to say about it...........

Heroic Master of Facts Gandhi the Vile's Avatar
    Any registered member of Ebay can go here
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_u...selection.html
    Select "listing violations"
    This best falls under "stolen property" - "stolen intellectual property"

Pretty much anybody can file a complaint, although the system is geared to best receive complaints directly from the artist being ripped off.

The actual artist who is being infringed upon can go here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html
    for Ebay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program.

Either way you go, there are a few hoops to jump through. Hope that helps.

Also, you can go directly here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...unterfeit.html
    and report Replica, Counterfeit Items and Unauthorized Copies. That link will let you report fraudulent listings directly to Ebay Customer Support.
    Last edited by Gandhi the Vile; December 8, 2006 at 01:52am.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi the Vile View Post
    Any registered member of Ebay can go here
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_u...selection.html
    Select "listing violations"
    This best falls under "stolen property" - "stolen intellectual property"

Pretty much anybody can file a complaint, although the system is geared to best receive complaints directly from the artist being ripped off.

The actual artist who is being infringed upon can go here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html
    for Ebay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program.

Either way you go, there are a few hoops to jump through. Hope that helps.

Also, you can go directly here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...unterfeit.html
    and report Replica, Counterfeit Items and Unauthorized Copies. That link will let you report fraudulent listings directly to Ebay Customer Support.

Exactly what I was about to post but you beat me to it.....anyways, I've sent in my complains saying that this artwork is not th sellers and that Ebay should contact the seller and verify that they have permission to use.....the world is full people wanting to make a quick buck...most of them on Ebay.

There's nothing you can really do except just report it.

I've had lighters, t-shirts keyrings with my MOTU art illegally on ebay.

I just told the guy to pull em or I will report it. But they still keep popping up.

Fact is, they are not gonna sell a whole lot so I wouldn't get too bothered if I were Deimos!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kittrina View Post
    Please, each and every one of you artists/writers - have your work protected and copywrited.
    As long as it isn't someone else's copywritten or trademarked work.
    You can't copyright MOTU art because ER and Mattel own that.
    That's the problem area you walk into when you illustrate someone else's property, then someone else tries to make money off that illustration.

At the end of the day, if this guy doesn't have a license from Mattel to sell shirts, then that's where the problem falls.
    And if he does have a licene, he can only produce shirts with the artwork provided to him by Mattel's licensing department.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    As long as it isn't someone else's copywritten or trademarked work.
    You can't copyright MOTU art because ER and Mattel own that.
    That's the problem area you walk into when you illustrate someone else's property, then someone else tries to make money off that illustration.

At the end of the day, if this guy doesn't have a license from Mattel to sell shirts, then that's where the problem falls.
    And if he does have a licene, he can only produce shirts with the artwork provided to him by Mattel's licensing department.
    Ja, Val, but my work has nothing to do with MOTU - neither does the work that others are doing for me........I own my characters.......

So, if others make their own creations, they have the right to have their work stolen?

Your own creations are your own creations.
    There's no mystery to that one.
    But how you use your own creations is the key.

If you create your own unique characters, and places, and story, that has nothing to do with anything else in the world, then yeah... it's yours.

But, for example, if you write a story that's MOTU based where some of the main characters are existing brand characters mixed with your own characters, you walk a line.
    If it's just a fan story for fun you post online, Mattel (as the example) can shut that down or have it deleted. But they probably wouldn't, as it's not a commercial risk to them.
    BUT, if you tried to publish it and make money from it, that's a clear violation of Mattel's copyright and you could technically be sued... even though it contains your own made-from-scratch characters.

That's the problem with fan art of an existing brand being used commercially by anyone in the world.
    The artist can do it for fun and post it online without intention of sale (or have it printed in a comic as fanart, etc), and be in the clear.
    But the moment the artist or anyone else try to make money from it, the person selling the item is taking a risk.

So when one of these scummy sellers takes someone's fanart for MOTU and uses it to make money, it's Mattel who can come after them.
    Not the artist who created it. Because the artist has no rights to that artwork.
    But the artist doesn't have to worry about being sued by Mattel for someone else trying to make money from their fan creation... if that's a concern anyone has.

On the flipside, as an example, Mattel can't go around to websites and gleen FanFiction from sites, collect it, and sell it... even though they own those characters.
    Unless there's a disclaimer on the site that says all of the stories belong to Mattel or you sign an agreement with Mattel to release the story to them, they can't use it.
    So it's a stalemate in terms of usage.

It's all pretty simple.

That is an amazing piece, but obviously this seller did not create it or obtain rights to it. So I say-

Burn the leech! Grab him by his slimy little tail and light a match!

Servant of Skeletor StarBlazerM31's Avatar
    Geez, how do these jerks keep getting away with this kind of stuff?!

It's gotten to the point where you have to put your label EVERYWHERE on your work just to hope that no one can steal it!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    JVS3 explains a bunch of copyright stuff.
    For my own information then, where does commissioned art fall in the scheme of things? I have always wondered about that since the commissioned artist is making money off someone else's intellectual property. Theoretically, the world of commissioned art cannot exist?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    I have fan art hosted locally. Right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mary View Post
    For my own information then, where does commissioned art fall in the scheme of things? I have always wondered about that since the commissioned artist is making money off someone else's intellectual property. Theoretically, the world of commissioned art cannot exist?

Enquiring minds want to know.

mmm...as far as I am aware as long as it's a private commission between an artist and a buyer, you are all good no matter what the subject matter. When it goes beyond the production of one piece that's where it goes legal.

But I am very curious as to what the real legal stuff is on that.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Hmmm...speaking of which, there are some lighters on EBAY right now with MOTU BCI DVD art on them...
    Doubting it's licensed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Color-Silver-Met...QQcmdZViewItem
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Wow that sucks.
    I don't know if Lutz (Deimos) has already been informed about his stolen art-good being sold on ebay... so I am gonna send him a link to this thread!
    ..:: it rubs the lotion on its skin ::..

THESE COLLECTORS ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO DEAL WITH:

Kaleb1974 (5x) ~ Peter (3x) ~ JOAH-MAN (1x) ~ TIRPITZ (8x) ~ rougewelder (1x) ~ Facelessone (12x) ~ King-ironic (1x) ~ boggs32 (2x) ~ onthoofder ~ ess7477 (1x) ~ Sl@yer (8x) ~ 2-packs (7x) ~ Arkangel (2x) ~ PIOSOL (3x) ~ pyrelus (1x) ~ Scare_Glower (1x) ~ mondo (1x) ... Thanks guys!!! :-)

Heroic Warrior
    Lutz already knows it, and my friend Bjoern has filed a report to ebay yesterday telling ebay to look into that matter. I doubt it will do any good, but at least we´ve got the good feeling to have something done against art-abuse.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren