Thread: "Evilseed" - the return of the Official Classic Episode Review Threads!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"Evilseed" - the return of the Official Classic Episode Review Threads!

It's Monday, I have nothing better to do, which can only mean that... it's time for another weekly classic episode review thread!!

This week's episode is the first season fan favourite "Evilseed".

When He-Man, Man-At-Arms and Battle Cat race to the rescue when the Dam of the Ancients bursts, endangering the local farmers and crops, the farmers tell them how the previous day, a hooded man had appeared and given them seeds to plant by the dam. Overnight the seeds had grown into giant vines, overtaking and destroying the dam. Returning to the Royal Palace, He-Man and Battle Cat find the place overrun with the giant vines. He-Man manages to fend off the vines, but they take the Royal party with them. At Castle Grayskull, He-Man, Orko and the Sorceress get in touch with Skeletor, assuming he is behind it all. However, Snake Mountain is also overrun with the vines, and Skeletor assumes it is He-Man's doing. Suddenly, the true culprit appears to them both - Evilseed, an evil plant-man, who plans to take over the whole of Eternia with his plants. With both the Heroic and Evil Warriors held prisoner by the powerful vines, the Sorceress concludes that He-Man and Skeletor must work together and combine their powers to stop Evilseed...

Share your thoughts what you think of this popular episode (one of my all time favourites). I'll be posting my own review in a while.
    Last edited by Spacedust; September 11, 2006 at 02:33pm. Reason: can't spell!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    (Please forgive the double post; I haven't got much time on-line this evening and really wanted to post my review )

"Evilseed" is a deservedly popular first season episode, and is one of my all-time favourite episodes of the classic series.

Things start off a little strangely, with Man-At-Arms suffering hay fever. I think the point they were trying to make was "If you think plants are a nuisance for causing this, you ain't seen nothing from them yet!", but the way it is carried off just makes it seem detached from the rest of the episode. It might have worked better if they referred to it again at the end of the story.

After the alert of the bursting dam, Teela's line "I'd better stay here to guard the Palace" is an uncharacteristic one, as on a number of other occasions, we see her insisting that she go along, even disobeying her father's orders not to do so.

When He-Man, Man-At-Arms and Battle Cat race to the Dam of the Ancients, we get a surprise appearance from a vehicle resembling the toy-version Attak Trak, with its colour scheme reversed, and referred to as the 'Small Trak'. This is the only time it ever appears in the shows run.

As He-Man stops the flood from the dam, he performs one of Filmation's 'silly He-Man feats', as he becomes a human tornado to gather the rocks up and fill the hole in the dam with them. Normally I dislike such far-fetched moments, but in such an enjoyable episode as this, I'm willing to overlook it, as it doesn't affect the overall plot too severely.

When the farmers (who sound suspiciously like Orko) tell of how a hooded man gave them the seeds which grew into the giant vines, naturally we immediately think that it was Skeletor. So it comes as a surprise when we see that Snake Mountain is also over-run by the vines.

The sequence when the hooded Evilseed finally appears, to both He-Man and Skeletor, is great, with great use of spooky music. The moment when he removes his hood to reveal his plant-like face is excellent, and I really like the design of the character. I would really have loved a figure version of Evilseed to have been released.

One of the great things about this episode is the number of cameos we get from both Heroic and Evil Warriors. I like the moment when Skeletor calls Mer-Man on his crystal ball, and we see Mer-Man underwater, struggling with seaweed vines, giving a real sense that the plants are really spreading right across Eternia.

If you asked me about a story where He-Man and Skeletor were forced to work together, I'd initially say that I wouldn't like it, as it somehow diminishes the bitter conflict between them, but here it is presented in a quite credible way, and the dire situation doesn't stop old bone face making several doomed attempts to take over Grayskull.

The element of He-Man and Skeletor working together is almost incidental for my love of this episode. I like it because Evilseed is just such a cool villain.

He-Man throwing the ice ball from the Ice Mountains, and himself, Skeletor and the Sorceress (and Orko) making it explode high above Eternia, causing it to snow, is another far fetched moment, but again, for such an enjoyable episode, I'm willing to overlook it on this occasion.

The animation of Evilseed withering away is excellent. It's a shame we never got to see him in the series again, as I would have loved a sequel of some sort.

Evilseed re-appeared in the Mike Young Productions 2002 series, where he looked a bit different. Although I liked his appearances in that series, I felt that he lacked the memorable, menacing presence that he has in this episode.

All-in-all, an extremely enjoyable, memorable episode, one of the very best of the entire classic series. It definitely makes my Top 10 list, and is fully deserving of its place on the 10 Best DVD (unlike certain other episodes, *cough*“Quest for He-Man”*cough*). A top-scoring 10 out of 10 from me.
    Last edited by Spacedust; September 11, 2006 at 03:38pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust
    (Please forgive the double post; I haven't got much time on-line this evening and really wanted to post my review )

"Evilseed" is a deservedly popular first season episode, and is one of my all-time favourite episodes of the classic series.

Things start off a little strangely, with Man-At-Arms suffering hay fever. I think the point they were trying to make was "If you think plants are a nuisance for causing this, you ain't seen nothing from them yet!", but the way it is carried off just makes it seem detached from the rest of the episode. It might have worked better if they referred to it again at the end of the story.
    The script of this episode has a scene in the beginning that was cut from production. In the scene, Orko, Man-At-Arms, Adam, Queen Marlena, and (I think) Teela are in the garden, and Orko magically produces a bouquet of flowers that MAA is allergic to. I think MAA's hay fever would have made more sense if the producers had left that earlier scene in.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

~Peter Gibbons, Office Space

"How 'bout you not judge? How 'bout you just love?"

~Me

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    Evilseed is one of favorites as well. Skeletor has some pretty memorable quotes here. Skeletor is very reluctant to help He-Man but soon is seen hiding under his crystal ball. We hear him call for He-man, "Oh He-Man? Are you there? I'm ready to come to Grayskull now." Another good one is when Skeletor calls on Merman who is also under attack. Notice Mermans eyes bulge out as he asks Skeletor to send help. "If there is one good bone in your body you'll send help." Skeletor replies, "There isn't. Never has been and never will be." I think the most memorable is when Skeletor asks He-Man, "Don't you ever think about doing something evil?" Some of my favorite scenes are Cringer hiding behind a pillow, Trapjaw using his gun to scratch his chin, and Evilseed dying. I'm sure there's more but it has been awhile since I saw this episode. One of top ten for first season episodes. I give it a 9 out of 10. I have a few beefs about it but nothing serious.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

its a fave of mine, we see heman and skeletor team up to save eternia, i give it a 7 though
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Howdy

Evilseed is one of my all time fave eps. Skeletor's humour, the good and bad guy team up, the cool different villian and again Skeletor...he really makes this episode, with comments lie: "who does that cabage think he is?" "don't ever get tired of being the hero all the time?......Don't you ever feel like doing something evil?" Quality dialogue from the Master of Destruction

Greatly animated, good food fun story and a real threat to Eternia.

I also like that fact that Man-at-Arms' sneezing hints at things to come

Fantastic ep.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN