Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's high adventure with The Pirates of Dark Water!

It's high adventure with The Pirates of Dark Water!

Anybody a fan of this toon?

I recently watched the series. I was amazed at how good it was. Back in í91 when it first aired, I didnít give it much of a chance because I had cut back on my toon watching a little and had missed the first couple of shows, so I was a little lost when I tried to watch an episode.

I did some searching and read that the show was plagued with issues that lead to its early demise with not all the treasures found. They had trouble making production deadlines so new episodes didnít get out on a consistent basis and a main writer died so the writing was not quite as good the second season.

Second season air dates:

8 Nov 92 The Dark Disciples
    15 Nov 92 The Ghost Pirates
    22 Nov 92 The Dagron Master
    29 Nov 92 The Game Players of Undaar
    2 May 93 The Pandawa Plague
    9 May 93 Sister of the Sword
    16 May 93 The Soul Stealer
    23 May 93 The Living Treasure

Heroic Warrior
    Oh man! I used to love this show! Sadly they never made an ending, I'm still down about that. Thanks for the heads up though! ... what station is this on?

Will it ever come to DVD? It's one I never really had a huge interest in seeing, but in retrospect, I wish I did.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by eternian phoenix
    Oh man! I used to love this show! Sadly they never made an ending, I'm still down about that. Thanks for the heads up though! ... what station is this on?
    Thinking about the show's early cancellation still irks me as well! I LOVED this show and the characters. There was one episode where we see Ren begin to repair the damage of the dark water, and it was awesome!!! Unlike most series, this one had a possible series climax to end the problem. The cast of characters was very memorable and I enjoyed the unique animation. I wish it would come out on dvd as well!

I still play the Genesis game of this show for nostalgia. At least the game gives us an ending.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by eternian phoenix
    A friend hooked me up, so no station is currently running it that I am aware of. Repeats did air on Cartoon Network and Boomerang at one time. Hopefully, this show will make it out on dvd down the road.

For those that have watched the show and have a favorite character, who is it?
    Last edited by Firefly; September 17, 2006 at 09:29am.

Former Wrestling Fanatic Wrestling Fanatic's Avatar
    I honestly don't remember watching this cartoon. I did see you mention it a few times on the forums. Figured I would check youtube out. I watched an episode on there. This is something that I could watch over and over again. I hope this comes out on dvd one day soon! But for now, ebay has something to offer, lol.
    I want a He-Man.org T-Shirt !!!!!

I remember it and I loved it as well. The only lame part was when Tula became more girly. That always bugged me. Still liked the budding romance between her and Ren though. Reminded me off Teela/Adam.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    This was one of those shows that I thought looked cool and I seriously wanted to like it. However, the writing was just very, very bad. It was sadly a very boring show. I hope that if they ever revive it, they give it some punch!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

this show would work great as a movie or a live action television series now
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Pirates of Dark Water rocked! Man, I was so annoyed they canceled that.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    That shows falls under the category of: It could have been good. Sadly, the show was a constant frustration because the show strated good and suddenly went south. Now I know why. And the show deserved an ending. That was the saddest part and the reason why I won't watch it again.

Missed the closure.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by gnewton34 View Post
    this show would work great as a movie or a live action television series now
    Agreed. I'd love to see a new updted version. I think it could be great.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    That shows falls under the category of: It could have been good. Sadly, the show was a constant frustration because the show strated good and suddenly went south. Now I know why. And the show deserved an ending. That was the saddest part and the reason why I won't watch it again.

Missed the closure.
    Hopefully someday they will bring it to DVD and like Dungeons and Dragons, give us a radio play that wrapped everything up. But I won't hold my breath.
    http://www.FW4D.com

Fun With 4 Dimensions

A random humor strip updating every M,W,F

I used to love it when I was younger, the toy line was awesome as well. I remember Bloth being one of my favourite figures. But when I watched it again recently I did find it quite dull, I'd be willing to buy it if it was released on Dvd though

Heroic Warrior
    I watched a few eps on youtube, when the show debuted I liked it but something always felt strange then i lost interest, but watching it as an adult on youtube I've noticed, the concept is great it has a tonne of potential, but the directing esp with the action sequences is really lacking. they don't make those moments feel exciting, partly direction and partly because of the score i think. anyway it is something that would make for a good well done mini series or movie. I like what it could be but am disappointed at what it ended up as.

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    I liked that bird-beaked, simian side-kick. Usually characters like that irritate me, but I remember him being funny and actually being helpful and a useful character... His name was Niddler (just looked it up.)
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Yeah! I remember this show fondly too, it aired later in sweden, around 95-96 along with the Adams Family. I always thought I missed a few episodes... Guess maybe not!

Quote Originally Posted by Razzbel View Post
    I liked that bird-beaked, simian side-kick. Usually characters like that irritate me, but I remember him being funny and actually being helpful and a useful character... His name was Niddler (just looked it up.)
    Yah, he was cool. An ape-bird if I'm not misstaken! ( translated from swedish)

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I remember it and I loved it as well. The only lame part was when Tula became more girly. That always bugged me.
    She did?? I always thought she became a lot more bad-ass after she became a terra-mancer (sp?). A rather cool origin for her, I must say.

Niddler was a monkey-bird.

I remember seeing this when it first aired as a 5-part mini-series, and I was blown away, given that most of the other cartoons on the air at the time were so awful and toned-down. I mean...THEY HAD ACTUAL CHARACTER DEATH!!!

In that first airing, Roddy McDowall voiced Niddler. When the 5-part mini-series was re-run as the first five eps of the ongoing series, McDowall's voice was replaced in those episodes by Frank Welker. Welker continued to voice Niddler in subsequent episodes. I'm not certain why that happened, but it was a great loss for the series, as I felt McDowall's voicing of the character made Niddler a zillion times cooler (which also, somehow, made the series feel darker and more serious) than with Welker's high-pitched Wheelie-esque characterization.

Reading this thread makes me kinda feel bad that I sold all my PODW figures and my Wraith a few years back.
    Last edited by Cobra Commander; March 7, 2007 at 01:02pm.
    Cobra Command Online
    Channel Zi
    "When did I realize I was God? Well I was praying, and suddenly realized I was talking to myself."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Niddler was a monkey-bird.

I remember seeing this when it first aired as a 5-part mini-series, and I was blown away (given that most of the other cartoons on the air at the time were so awful).

In that first airing, Roddy McDowall voiced Niddler. When the 5-part mini-series was re-run as the first five eps of the ongoing series, McDowall's voice was replaced in those episodes by Frank Welker. Welker continued to voice Niddler in subsequent episodes. I'm not certain why that happened, but it was a great loss for the series, as I felt McDowall's voicing of the character made Niddler a zillion times cooler (which also, somehow, made the series feel darker and more serious) than with Welker's high-pitched Wheelie-esque characterization.

Makes me kinda feel bad that I sold all my PODW figures and my Wraith a few years back.
    I know that McDowell died near the time this was on the air he did a FANTASTIC job on Batman the animated series as the Mad Hatter - I just think how great that work was. Maybe he was too sick to work on a schedule that had him on as a regular character or maybe he passed away after the mini series was completed. anyway just wanted to comment on Mr. McDowell and how GREAT a VA he was.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I remember watching it back in the day. I thought it was funny the monkey bird liked Pomegranates for some reason haha

Also, what does "high adventure" even mean? Is there such a thing as low adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    I know that McDowell died near the time this was on the air he did a FANTASTIC job on Batman the animated series as the Mad Hatter - I just think how great that work was. Maybe he was too sick to work on a schedule that had him on as a regular character or maybe he passed away after the mini series was completed. anyway just wanted to comment on Mr. McDowell and how GREAT a VA he was.
    Actually, McDowall died in '98, some 7 years after PODW first aired. Now that I've thought some more about it, I think he had some kind of contract dispute about the voice work, and wouldn't come back for the regular series. Rather than have two voices for Niddler, they just had Welker voice-over the original McDowall work.
    Cobra Command Online
    Channel Zi
    "When did I realize I was God? Well I was praying, and suddenly realized I was talking to myself."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Actually, McDowall died in '98, some 7 years after PODW first aired. Now that I've thought some more about it, I think he had some kind of contract dispute about the voice work, and wouldn't come back for the regular series. Rather than have two voices for Niddler, they just had Welker voice-over the original McDowall work.
    ah thanks for clearing that up.

I found this intro recently out on youtube for the original Dark Water miniseries that aired in the US and France:

which is different than the intro for the regular series:

interesting music video somebody put together:

OMG I totally loved this show, I even had they toys! I was upset that they never made a Toola though!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    What?? No Toola?! She was one of the BEST characters!

And quite possibly the only heroine in existence that looks good in pink.