Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey Hockey Hockey

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I know Penguins fans really love posting that picture when an outside teams' fan questions their existance, but true hockey fans know the truth behind that team. I mean how else can a bankrupt team with a few thousand fans left get handed all those top 5 picks year after year after year after year after year. Especially right after the lockout when the draft pool was pretty high and Crybaby was the obvious pick. Good buddies Super Mario and Uncle Gary Bettman made it happen as they went from the Kansas City Penguins into Stanley Cup champions in a handful of years. Congrats!
    You really have no idea do you? For one thing we were selling out games when the team sucked big time. I know I was at those games. As for draft picks... when you finish last again and again you are going to get top draft picks. That's just how it works. Now don't get me wrong there were a few games toward the end of seasons where we intentially sucked in order to get top draft pick. There was also an enormous amount of restructuring from the bottom up. Oh and the fact that fans petitioned and donated in full force to keep the team in Pittsburgh. Which had nothing to do with the league, but rather the city's unwillingness to help fund a new arena. These are the sort of events that don't get publicized nationwide. Anyway, my point is the league didn't just hand us great players, a new arena, and a cup it's a ridiculous notion.

It's sort of like how fans in Pittsburgh believe very strongly that the refs hate us. Rival fans will go "that's ridiculous the refs are always handing the Pens games." Both notions are just absurd. There have been a few instances of single games where these sort of things happened. I mean yeah we've been totally ripped off in a few games, and sure we've had some games handed to us, but 95% of games are called in a balanced and even handed fashion.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    And I follow up Brak simply by saying Fleury was awesome last night and lets go PENS......there I'm done!!
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    You really have no idea do you? For one thing we were selling out games when the team sucked big time. I know I was at those games. As for draft picks... when you finish last again and again you are going to get top draft picks. That's just how it works. Now don't get me wrong there were a few games toward the end of seasons where we intentially sucked in order to get top draft pick. There was also an enormous amount of restructuring from the bottom up. Oh and the fact that fans petitioned and donated in full force to keep the team in Pittsburgh. Which had nothing to do with the league, but rather the city's unwillingness to help fund a new arena. These are the sort of events that don't get publicized nationwide. Anyway, my point is the league didn't just hand us great players, a new arena, and a cup it's a ridiculous notion.

It's sort of like how fans in Pittsburgh believe very strongly that the refs hate us. Rival fans will go "that's ridiculous the refs are always handing the Pens games." Both notions are just absurd. There have been a few instances of single games where these sort of things happened. I mean yeah we've been totally ripped off in a few games, and sure we've had some games handed to us, but 95% of games are called in a balanced and even handed fashion.
    Maybe I don't exactly have the inside scoop as a New Yorker, but I still cannot respect that team, the way they were assembled and marketed over the past 6-7 years and they have become my most hated team by far. They were THE ABSOLUTE WORST team in attendance the season right before the lockout. They continued tanking and tanking gathering overall picks of 5, 1, 2, 1, and 2 from 2002-2006.

The marketing and bandwagon fans just make fans of other teams sick to see this. You gotta understand an outsider's point of view from that. How would Penguins fans feel if a team in their division tanked for 5 years in a row, had 10,000 fans per game, got 5 top 5 picks (two were 1 overall) in a row, then magically had all the fans in the world as well as the league's favorite team to market and put on national tv the most, and were in the cup finals a year later for two years in a row winning the later and making another run a 3rd time. Probably the same way I feel about them, except that the Rangers have a large market and don't need any pushes or help from anyone to exist.

As a Rangers fan, I and many others have come to despise the Penguins more than the most hated of rivals in the Devils, Islanders, and even Philly. Fans of teams root for their sworn enemies when they face the Penguins now. That's how disgusting it is to us how that team was assembled and pushed upon everyone. They had one foot out the door to Kansas City and magically became everyone's favorite team overnight. That's what annoys me.

Props if you guys are actually loyal fans of the Penguins and suffered through their dark ages of tanking for all those top picks though. I just get seriously annoyed with those who pretend they are and have been hockey fans when they know nothing at all except "Sidney Crosby is the best". Hockey's my sport and I talk about it every day with fans of all sorts of teams. The Penguins just make most of us sick and we refuse to take them seriously when the league has pretty blatantly chosen them as it's favorites in recent years.

I will continue rooting for any team that faces them. Let's go Montreal! As hard as it is to say that....

Quote Originally Posted by King Hsss View Post
    And I follow up Brak simply by saying Fleury was awesome last night and lets go PENS......there I'm done!!
    Not gonna deny that, Fleury was phenominal last game, as was Halak the game before. Surprising to see this series turn into a goalie matchup, but that is what usually happens in the playoffs.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Personally, I don't care if we tanked on purpose to get good draft picks. Someone else should have tried to do even worse. And, sure, we got Whitney in 2002 but, IIRC, he didn't even play until 2005. So it's not like we were seeing immediate increases in performance.

To me there are always suspicious things that happen (such as my other fave, the Ducks, winning the Cup right after they were rebranded) but most of the time it is just pishposh. Same with those pesky referee complaints people dish out on both ends.

I just get seriously annoyed with those who pretend they are and have been hockey fans when they know nothing at all except "Sidney Crosby is the best".
    The bandwagon fans indeed suck. Especially when they magically score seats on the glass... grrr. My cousin is one of them, which really annoys me, as I've been a Pens fan since kindergarten. But, you are going to get bandwagon fans with any sport when the teams stars doing good and/or they have one of the sports major stars.

I always respect someone more when I see them in a jersey that isn't Crosby, Malkin, or Fleury. Hence my four Kunitz jerseys

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Been a Penguins fan since the late 80's. Yes they sucked in the late 90's, but before that they were the team that dominated... and then before that they were just an ordinary team... it goes in cycles for every team.

And yes we are making another run all the way!!!! GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!

Shadow I personally am a fan of all of the following :LeTang, Orpikk and Malkin
    Last edited by Rain; May 5, 2010 at 08:40pm.
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

I really hate Chicago right now. What a trash team. I still have faith that my Canucks will come back, just like they did last round against LA.

I keep my fingers crossed for the Habs ....

Who kicks out the Caps and ( hopefully ) the Pens deserve the Cup
    Last edited by Colton; May 6, 2010 at 07:55am.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ironman's Avatar
    Anyone who thinks it wasn't strange that Malkin or Crosby did not get a penatly at the end of the second of game 3 needs to re-watch the game. And, if that was the case the pens probably don't score their goal. Its plain and simple, the refs turned an eye to them cause they are the leagues poster boys. Plain and simple.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ironmans Want List:

MOTUC: I want them all!!!!!!

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    So how exactly are the Hawks a trash team? I watched the better part of the game yesterday and all I saw was Canuck players starting crap with guys on the bench and Canuck fans yelling BS on a goal. And i'm not just saying this as a Hawk fan either.

For the record in the forum I also am a disliker of the Pens and Pen fans who jumped on when they got Crosby, if you are a long time Pen fan i have no beef with you.. And won't it be sweet if Detroit gets swept?

I know I'd love it.

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    My family is pretty much the only Pens fan in our town, I've been once since a little tyke because we had family from Pitt that would take us to games when ever we visited. Everyone else is hardcore Flyers fans around us and do I get the heckling for my Crosby and Malkin jerseys but I still have my Lemieux, Jagr, and Stevens jerserys which I'll faithfully wear because I was on the wagon before it even got moving. Ohh I hope Philly gets sweeped tomorrow, gotta go it's the start of the 2nd period....GO PENS!!
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

Montreal gains the lead! Go Habs!!!!!!

Edit: YES! MONTREAL ties up the series! GO HABS GO! I want a classic rivalry ECF between them and Boston!!!
    Last edited by Count Marzo; May 6, 2010 at 09:24pm.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Great win for the Habs tonight!!!! 2-2 baby!!!
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Go Habs Go!

Time for the Canucks to follow suit and tie up their series, too.

Man did the refs ever try to give the game to the pens. What they have to realize is that you can't fight destiny.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ironmans Want List:

Classic Line: Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Tower Tools, Eternia, Laser Power He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Tytus and Megator.

It's our 100th anniversary and we're not finished with the party yet, no matter how hard the officials try to do so.

Because they're playing vs the Pittsburgh Penguins, the refs have been helping them along for a few years now. You guys just realized it now?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

The suspense continues

...Man ... made me the Habs happy yesterday ...

I wish the cup to ...

1. Habs

2. Canucks

3. Wings

4. Sharks

.... guess ... thats all

Don Cherry speaks truth

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Habs won game 4, not the Stanley Cup (someone should inform their fans of this ).

At least Kunitz got a goal. Kooooooooooon

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Habs won game 4, not the Stanley Cup (someone should inform their fans of this ).

At least Kunitz got a goal. Kooooooooooon

Sorry but when the refs blatently favour the other team and you're still able to pull out a victory I think that's cause for celebration.
    Ironmans Want List:

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Anyone who thinks the refs favor the Pens needs a pair of glasses bad. The refs were missing all sorts of calls in game 4 on both sides. So many high sticks.... but I'm a fan of heavy moderation. For example if theres a foot in blue paint I want goaltender interference called. Oh and both the Pens and Habs kept icing the puck in the first and they weren't called. That's the most frustrating aspect of the playoffs for me that the refs put the whistles away. At least the Pens are playing a disciplined team this round. If it were the Flyers or the Wings I have a feeling we'd be getting our asses handed to us because they'd be getting away with murder.

Don Cherry speaks truth
    You've pretty much lost all credibility with me now
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    Anyone who thinks the refs favor the Pens needs a pair of glasses bad. The refs were missing all sorts of calls in game 4 on both sides. So many high sticks.... but I'm a fan of heavy moderation. For example if theres a foot in blue paint I want goaltender interference called. Oh and both the Pens and Habs kept icing the puck in the first and they weren't called. That's the most frustrating aspect of the playoffs for me that the refs put the whistles away. At least the Pens are playing a disciplined team this round. If it were the Flyers or the Wings I have a feeling we'd be getting our asses handed to us because they'd be getting away with murder.
    Yeah, everyone agrees the Habs are getting hosed. I think you need glasses my friend. Re-watch the game and you'll see 8 non calls versus 1. The pens are clearly getting breaks by the refs.
    Ironmans Want List:

Bah, I can't stand fans who constantly whine about officiating as if it's the cause for their team's failure. It's just fishing for excuses. If perception is reality, the Habs fans are pretty good at it. The whole arena cries in unison every time one of the Habs falls down. I usually don't hear that in Pittsburgh and the same goes for many other arenas I've seen. I couldn't believe what I was hearing - the Canadians are supposed to be the most knowledgeable hockey fans? ... Since when is falling down a penalty?

Hockey officiating isn't an exact science and it's simply a part of the game. It's always unpredictable, especially in the playoffs. From my experience, the refs usually find a way to even the calls out if the situation presents itself.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Bah, I can't stand fans who constantly whine about officiating as if it's the cause for their team's failure. It's just fishing for excuses. If perception is reality, the Habs fans are pretty good at it.
    Uh...what?
    What 'failure'? They WON.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing - the Canadians are supposed to be the most knowledgeable hockey fans? ... Since when is falling down a penalty?
    Thanks for the lesson in hockey officiating, LOL, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Uh...what?
    What 'failure'? They WON.

Thanks for the lesson in hockey officiating, LOL, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I was speaking in generalities. I didn't see last night's game but in game 3, the whole arena was one big cry-fest.

Can you explain further why I'm not "in-the-know?"

Even the announcers made comments as to how they couldn't believe how the fans were crying for a penalty every time one of the Habs fell down. Not that we hang out and watch sports together but you'll never hear me point to officiating as to the reason my team lost in ANY sport.
    Last edited by G-Man; May 7, 2010 at 02:22pm.