Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Klops classic figure review (new regular thread idea)

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Tri-Klops classic figure review (new regular thread idea)

What does anyone think about this for a re-occurring thread idea?

Kind of like the weekly classic episode review threads... but for figures (I guess it kind of explained itself really! )
    Each week a particular figure will be posted, and everyone can contribute with their comments, memories, how they used to play with them (tying in with the current thread of special powers you use to give your figures)... pretty much anything.

If there's enough interest, I'm thinking of doing a new one every Friday.
    As a test to see how it goes, the first chosen figure is TRI-KLOPS.

Possibly my favourite classic line figure (bar Faker, and maybe Trap Jaw, but anyway...), Tri-Klops just has such a simplistic, classic look to him.

I like that he is obviously based upon the Cyclops, and the reason that he has such strong ties with a mythical being is why I love both Tri-Klops and they toy-line in general.

Of course, there were (at least) two mold versions of Tri-Klops' face. As a kid, I had the very distorted looking one. I kind of grew to like this, as I always made up a back story of how maybe he had been really deformed in a terrible accident, which blinded him, hence his three eye modification.

I always loved to think of Tri-Klops as a hunter, as he was described as in his earliest mini-comics. It made sense, as he could see everywhere. He was also an expert swordsman, and one of Skeletor's most physically strongest warriors, making him a real match for He-Man.

As a kid, I always liked to pretend that Tri-Klops' blue eye could pass him off as a good guy. His red eye was him in 'neutral' mood, and his all-red eye was when he was being *really evil*.

As Tri-Klops was one of Skeletor's most human looking warriors, I always imagined him as a once being heroic warrior. Tying in with my above theory about how he was deformed, I sometimes had him as being involved in a terrible accident involving one of Man-At-Arms' inventions, and, badly deformed in the accident, turned evil and went to join Skeletor, with a particular grudge against Man-At-Arms.

That's just some ramblings on my recollections of the figure.
    I'd really like to hear what you have to say about the figure, and how you played with it.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Vegor-Friend of Animals jakobinsane's Avatar
    I enjoyed Tri-klops, if for nothing else that his eyes rotated. I always like his sword as well. Although he always seemed like he was a good guy. And there are the thoughts that he was originally intended to be one, so that makes sense.
    Erie Americana Punk Rock
    http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20050215140632
    Saving lives everyday!!
    http://www.veganoutreach.org and http://www.peta.com

H.E.A.L. Human Earth and Animal Liberation

Heroic Warrior
    As a kid I found it frustrating that you couldn't store He-Man's sword on his back like in the cartoon. Ok, you could shove it in the back of his torso straps, but it obviously wasn't designed to go there - even though the 'reaching behind the head for the sword' action was so massively iconic in the cartoon.

But with Tri-klops you got a special storage slot for his sword! I loved that! I think it was, in all seriousness, my favourite thing about him, as I could never understand why He-Man didn't have one. Come to that, apart from Trap Jaw, none of the early figures had anywhere to stow their weapons.

Tri-klops rocks.

And don't even get me STARTED on the warrior's ring!!! Genius!!!

I also liked the color scheme. Something about the green with the black hair and tanner skin tone jsut went well together.

Plus you knew he was a bad guy. That scowl on his face was unique for the figures and he had a cool gimmick.

One of my favs from the original line.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by jakobinsane View Post
    Although he always seemed like he was a good guy. And there are the thoughts that he was originally intended to be one, so that makes sense.
    I always thought that too, hence my 'blue eye = good guy' concept. And, as you say, as information has come out about the development of the figures, it does seem that at once stage he was designed to be a Heroic Warrior. I always thought that maybe his initial development was akin to Man-E-Faces, where he had good/bad persona.

Quote Originally Posted by tariamani View Post
    As a kid I found it frustrating that you couldn't store He-Man's sword on his back like in the cartoon. Ok, you could shove it in the back of his torso straps, but it obviously wasn't designed to go there - even though the 'reaching behind the head for the sword' action was so massively iconic in the cartoon.

But with Tri-klops you got a special storage slot for his sword! I loved that! I think it was, in all seriousness, my favourite thing about him, as I could never understand why He-Man didn't have one.
    How could I forget to mention this? For some reason, I too thought that this simple little loop for his sword was awesome! The figure looked so cool with his sword on his back. I always wished more figures came with things to carry their weapons, as it was quite a rarity.
    Last edited by Spacedust; November 3, 2006 at 08:18pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Tri-Klops is one of my fondest childhood characters, although he also represents a sore spot...he kept me company on a move when i was like 6 years years old, i remember playing with him ALL the way there, or real close to it anyways as his leg "band" broke RIGHT before the trip was over...i was heart broken...

like others have said i liked his mythological inspiration as well as his relative closeness to being human in appearance...as well as the nifty sword holster on his back...

i STILL don't have one of those darn rings though...

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew
    Tri-Klops is one of my fondest childhood characters, although he also represents a sore spot...he kept me company on a move when i was like 6 years years old, i remember playing with him ALL the way there, or real close to it anyways as his leg "band" broke RIGHT before the trip was over...i was heart broken...
    Ahh, the fate of so many vintage MOTU figures. It was always pot luck even when you got a new one how strong the band inside was. Some of my figures as a kid - particularly my Man-E-Faces, I recall - had really loose legs and were a nightmare to stand up.

Anyway, how does everyone think that classic Tri-Klops compares to the 200x version? Personally, whilst I liked many of the figures revamps (especially Roboto, Whiplash, Two Bad...), I was a bit disappointed in Tri-Klops, for a number of reasons.
    Firstly, I didn't really like his cybernetic extensions. Although the origin of his eye-piece is debatable, I always thought of TK as a sword-fighting warrior than having any cybernetic aspects (couldn't think how to word that but hope you get my meaning). I didn't like how the figure was molded into a pose, with one leg longer than the other. And his eyes, intended to light up via a window on top of his head, while good in design, never seemed to really work, at least not on mine. As I mentioned recently on another thread, the Four Horsemen originally planned to have TK have light-up eyes, but the idea was deemed to costly and dropped, which is a same as I think it would have been excellent, even if they upgraded the figure to 'deluxe' status.
    I also wasn't too keen how they reworked TK into being Skeletor's inventor. For some reason, I always felt that Trap Jaw was much more suited to this role.
    ~jay firestorm~

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew
    Ahh, the fate of so many vintage MOTU figures. It was always pot luck even when you got a new one how strong the band inside was. Some of my figures as a kid - particularly my Man-E-Faces, I recall - had really loose legs and were a nightmare to stand up.

Anyway, how does everyone think that classic Tri-Klops compares to the 200x version? Personally, whilst I liked many of the figures revamps (especially Roboto, Whiplash, Two Bad...), I was a bit disappointed in Tri-Klops, for a number of reasons.
    Firstly, I didn't really like his cybernetic extensions. Although the origin of his eye-piece is debatable, I always thought of TK as a earthy sword-fighting warrior than having any cybernetic aspects (couldn't think how to word that but hope you get my meaning). I didn't like how the figure was molded into a pose, with one leg longer than the other. And his eyes, intended to light up via a window on top of his head, while good in design, never seemed to really work, at least not on mine. As I mentioned recently on another thread, the Four Horsemen originally planned to have TK have light-up eyes, but the idea was deemed to costly and dropped, which is a same as I think it would have been excellent, even if they upgraded the figure to 'deluxe' status.
    I also wasn't too keen how they reworked TK into being Skeletor's inventor. For some reason, I always felt that Trap Jaw was much more suited to this role.
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Tri-Klops was one my favourites as child, I remember never seeing the figure in any store (which was strange as the figures were everywhere at stores). I remember telling my Mom and Dad to buy me Tri-Klops and Orko when the went grocery shopping at Sainsbury's, I didn't expect them to get them for me, but they did and it was a pleasant surprise. Tri-Klops didn't have a blue/yellow sword (as shown on the cardbacks) and it was green plus he came with a ring!

That Tri-Klops' lost all his clothing and his eye piece and eventually lost his legs! But I got another one around 1988, which was a different mold, which I prefered. And I still have him (complete) to this day.

The 4HM Tri-Klops design is good, I do like the cybernetic neck and eye piece and I like the roll of inventor as I think Tri-Klops was underused in Filmation and was nothing more than a henchman. The new figure's stance, I'm not keen on at all, I hope we get a staction of Tri in a standing up pose in the future.
    Last edited by Orko's Magic Hat; November 5, 2006 at 08:27am.

Well, I've grabbed Tri-klops off the shelf for this... Probably will be reitterating what others have said.

I do indeed like Tri-Klops for his very classic look, back in the first couple of years when it was very simple, and much more Barbarian-like (while I am a Filmation follower, and not Barbarian story).

The eye colors and shapes, were often about his mood to me. The blue one was very benign and I felt was his normal eye, and to show emotion, it spun around and at his most angry and powerful, he was at the mean red eye.

Also, in the first post, you said 2 face molds. There was actually 3. The most common (I believe) is the regular frown, with others being a more benign look, and the other the VERY angry scowl, so they all seem to go with his eyes.

I liked his weapon, as it was a large sword, larger even than He-man's. Not alot of people utilized a sword, so this made him feel special and yeah... he was a swordsman, who I felt could go toe to toe with He-man, perhaps better, as far as actual fencing skill.

I HATED, however, how fragile his sword was. It didn't take but a few days and it's suddnely bent. And as a kid, this was before the interweb and handy sites like He-Bro's.

The Armor was good. Very basic, cool armor. I loved switching out armor, and these styles of armor (as opposed to the two peice torso plates) were some of the most fun.

Tri-Klops isn't one of my very top guys, but I do like him alot.

Very nice idea for a thread. Can't wait for more.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    Also, in the first post, you said 2 face molds. There was actually 3. The most common (I believe) is the regular frown, with others being a more benign look, and the other the VERY angry scowl, so they all seem to go with his eyes.
    You're quite right. There were three, although (going by the examples of the figure that I have), two of them were quite similar. There is the 'normal' one, and two destorted ones, one moreso than the other.

Glad there's some interest in the thread. I'm already trying to pick another figure for next Friday.
    ~jay firestorm~

This is a cool thread idea.

About Tri-klops: never had him as a child, he just wasn't one of my favourites. Now that I have him I do like him a bit more. What was actually the purpose of the warrior rings that came with him and Trap-Jaw? And why only with them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    What was actually the purpose of the warrior rings that came with him and Trap-Jaw? And why only with them?
    You were meant to be able to store things inside it, but the actual space inside was so small that, beyond a *tiny* scrap of paper, it was too small to actually hold anything. But nevermind, because the ring looked cool, even if was a bit rough on the finger.

I've wondered why Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw were the only ones selected to come with the ring. Man-E-Faces had extra weapons (although much less common), but other figures from the wave (Faker, Ram Man, Evil Lyn) didn't have any extras at all. Just one of those MOTU mysteries, I suppose.

By the way, I've decided (as with classic episode reviews) to give each figure my personal rating. I like Tri Klops so much that I give him a top scoring 10 out of 10. Feel free to add your own ratings.
    ~jay firestorm~

Yes, Triklops

I liked him as a kid - especially becaue he came with that cool ring - which was always so mysterious to me... hey, I was 6 when I got him for Christmas.

I LOVED that he had a place for his sword (and it TOTALLY bugged me too that He-Man didn't really have that... aside from the armor buckleon his back).

I used to think all of his eyes saw all over and shot lasers... but that he had different moods.. he was calm with the blue eye, ANGRY with the red eye, and SCARY MAD EVIL with the ANGRY RED EYE.. which at 6 years of age, I was scared of... it looked demonic...

I liked his armor a lot - and thought he looked like a pirate for some reason... I liked him a lot more this last time around after the MYP cartoon and 4Horsemen design, because his personality was WAY more interesting than in the Filmation cartoon - AND his design was more intricate... and he was clearly the weapons master of Snake Mountain.

I remember not playing with Triklops a lot after the next few waves of figures came out... Evil Lyn, Webstor, Spikor, Jitsu, and Kobra Khan were really my favorites of the earlier time in the MOTU reign of toydom.

rating 5/10
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by tariamani View Post

But with Tri-klops you got a special storage slot for his sword! I loved that! I think it was, in all seriousness, my favourite thing about him, as I could never understand why He-Man didn't have one. Come to that, apart from Trap Jaw, none of the early figures had anywhere to stow their weapons.

Tri-klops rocks.

And don't even get me STARTED on the warrior's ring!!! Genius!!!
    Aww man! You took the words out of my mouth! 100%

Scott

I think this is a great thread!
    I too love the simplicity of TK, he seems really soild to me to and i like the barbarian with a twist concept. When I was younger I too liked the hunter aspect to TK. I thought the 200x concept was really good but he just didnt seem as powerful and strong as the original, a bit on the spindly side really.
    And the pose was awlful. TK always seemed to me as a kid as the strong, silent and deadly type, a very cleaver and cunning enemy, with a visious streak!
    I also thought TK fancied Evil-Lyn and enjoyed being on a mission with her

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    My rating for TRI-KLOPS - 7/10

Tri-Klops was the man, his figure was just awesome, I remember getting excited when Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw were released and getting them both ASAP afterwards. They were cool figures AND came with the warrior ring!

Tri-Klops 9/10 (only cos there are some figures that are better and will reach that 10 mark!)
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Tri-Klops was the coolest as a kid for one simple reason. He is the only figure my older brother ever thought was cool (him being of non toy playing age at the time). Of course I liked him for other reasons as well.

I felt he combined the barbarian and science aspect of MOTU perfectly. The science aspect was not over the top. His appearance in Diamond Ray of Dissapearance made him seem like the only one of Skeletors warriors who could go toe to toe with He-man (besting He-man at one point with a bear hug)

His comic appearances were great as well. His origin comic made him tough as nails. He also had a great showing in the one about Fisto being captured.

I really did not care for what was done to him in the Horsemen era. I hate preposed stances. Talk about taking the action out of action figure. He was a glorified statue. His cartoon persona made him to much of a sniveling inventor instead of the powerful huntsman of old.

Vintage Tri-Klops ratings: (out of 5)
    1. Playability=5 He could be used with all vehicles and playsets. He had no gimmick that took away from his mold. Finally had a great weapon with storage even.

2. Mold=5 Very basic which was great about most MOTU yet he had definate features that made him pop a little.

3. Character=4 His comic appearances really is what defined Tri-klops for me. The Filmation toon really did not use him like they should of. Especially after almost out powering He-man in Diamond Ray.

"Tri klops was allso one of my faverates, and "I allso used to think of his eyes being part of his expresions calm geting mad and totaly mad, "I allso had tri klops as haveing magic powers like was mentioned in one of the mini comics.tri klops was one of the few guys who could give "He man a good fight.

Tri Klops was and still is a classic character shame he did not get an episode to himself like Whiplash or Kobra Khan.

Speaking of which can you review Whiplash next?

Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Tri Klops was and still is a classic character shame he did not get an episode to himself like Whiplash or Kobra Khan.

Speaking of which can you review Whiplash next?

I was planning on doing it on a good guy - gad guy rota, but I'll stick Whiplash on the list
    ~jay firestorm~

i didn't realize we were giving scores to our reviews(initially we weren't)...i have always preferred the A+ to F scale of scoring, as opposed to the 1 to 10 scale...so i would score Tri-Klops at strong B-...

cyber-assassin
    Tri klops was a decent figure with the sword holder, thogh... I dunno. I was impressed with that. My brother and I each had one. It was one of two figures we each had one of. My grandma and mom didn't discuss presents well. Odd since they were 150 feet from each other. It started with trap jaw, and I'll relate the story there.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Heroic Warrior

My Favorite Mercenary

I recently read He-Man.org's reprint of the comic book that came with the original Tri-Klops action figure and was interested to find out that TK actually spared He-Man's life. Because of his depiction in the Filmation series, I got the impression that he simply wasn't as purely evil as other villains such as Mer-Man (with his devotion to malicious sea entities) or Evil-Lyn (with her quest to usurp Skeletor as Eternia's #1 villain). When I sat back and thought about TK's past as a mercenary and his role in the animated series as Skeletor's henchmen, he seemed to me to be a villain more by default than by design. Perhaps his past as a sword-for-hire rendered him unusable by king Randor, forcing him to work for whoever else was willing to pay him for his services (i.e. Skeletor).

I thought the action figure was cool, and, after reading about the cyclops named Polyphemus from the tales of Ulysses, I developed an even greater respect for the roots of this really fascinating character. I always thought it would have been cool if Filmation had made an episode in which Tri-Klops accidentally witnessed Prince Adam's transformation into He-Man (with his gamma vision, it certainly would have been a credible scenario).

It's too bad that Filmation chose to turn Tri-Klops into a bumbling, weak-kneed caricture of a villain instead of keeping him as a serious challenger to Eternia's top defenders.