Thread: Where is Glimmer?

Where is Glimmer?

In watching through most of the episodes of the newest She-Ra DVD, I'm struck by the sheer number of episodes where Glimmer has no lines, and/or is not even shown on screen. I mean... wow, I'd say that He-Man has more lines in the first half of the first PoP season than Glimmer does, and he's a cross-over guest character in the minds of many PoP fans.

Why do you think Glimmer was used so sparingly in the first half of the first season?
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

She was poorly definined, kinda unintersting, and as a result the writers had no clue what to do with her.

Considering she's KINDA POP's ManAtArms, she's just a mess. It's all bound up with the same discussion we had about why Glimmer, the "Leader of the Rebellion" and heir to Brightmoon was INSTANTLY and COMPLETELY overshadowed by turncoat Horde-Captain Adora as soon as she joined up.

While I agree with the prevailing opinion that POP was better written than MOTU, in this regard, the whole conceit about Adora being a redeemed villian, while insanely cool and interesting, was just sooooo poorly executed.

There's a really uncomfortable tension between the cartoon-logic set up (She-Ra as heroine plus supporting cast) and the heavily-developed backstory (Adora as Horde Captain, Glimmer and Angella as oppressed royalty) It's all very cool, but they don't work very well together sometimes.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Unfortunately the Glimmer/Adora rebellion leadership 'issues' were left (stupidly) until the second season in the episode 'Come Home Glimmer' which is way too late for this story in my opinion.

I think many of the fans here have already commented that this episode should have been made very near the beginning of the series.

and while we are on the subject of unexplored territory, I always thought it stupid how after 'Battle for Bright Moon' there wasn't a follow up episode where Adora took up the leadership role from Glimmer and Madam Razz and Kowl found out Adora's secret. That is my biggest disapointment with the She-Ra series to be honest.
    The 12 figures I still need: 12/Spinnerella, 11/Peekablue, 10/Squeeeze, 9/Lizard Man, 8/Gwildor, 7/Filmation Clawful, 6/Imp, 5/Mermista, 4/Dylamug, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Filmation Hordak, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus View Post
    She was poorly definined, kinda unintersting, and as a result the writers had no clue what to do with her.
    I would agree that she was poorly defined. I don't think that the writers knew whether to present her as a true Man-At-Arms-esque character, or as a more innocent and sweet female teenager. I think that there may have been a feeling that Adora/She-Ra would give the show a strong feminist vibe, and maybe Glimmer was to be the softer feminine contrast to that?

Personally, just as I think Bow should have been made a bit more like Robin Hood, I also think that Glimmer should have been made a bit more like Man-At-Arm's.

Considering she's KINDA POP's ManAtArms, she's just a mess. It's all bound up with the same discussion we had about why Glimmer, the "Leader of the Rebellion" and heir to Brightmoon was INSTANTLY and COMPLETELY overshadowed by turncoat Horde-Captain Adora as soon as she joined up.
    In retrospect, I think that may have been a mistake. I think that they should have made Glimmer the strategician/somewhat behind-the-scenes type (build off of her introduction scene where she's looking over a map), and Adora is the Field Commander that actually leads on the field. Glimmer herself would plot a lot of things out, and would help She-Ra out in the same way that Duncan helped He-Man out. That's how I think they should have went with her - as Adora's superior, in a way, really.

While I agree with the prevailing opinion that POP was better written than MOTU, in this regard, the whole conceit about Adora being a redeemed villian, while insanely cool and interesting, was just sooooo poorly executed.
    POP was more consistently well-written than MotU (I have yet to see a truly bad episode in the bunch of PoP episodes I've watched), but MotU had a stronger feel in many respects as it came to characterization. By that I mean, you had a really good sense of where King Randor, Queen Marlena, Prince Adam/He-Man, Duncan, Teela, the Sorceress, Orko, Skeletor, Beastman, Evil-Lyn, Trapjaw, and most of the evil warriors stood within the MotU mythos, and in relation to one another. A lot of the PoP characters were less clear on what role they were to play (Queen Angella, Glimmer, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Catra, etc...).

Hordak didn't have a clear-cut inner circle of two other supporting characters as Skeletor had with Evil-Lyn and Beastman. Shadow Weaver seemed to fill an Evil-Lyn-esque role in relation to Hordak, but the writers didn't seem to know if Grizzlor, Mantenna, or Catra, should be to Hordak what Beastman was to Skeletor. From what I've seen so far, each of the three have had shots at being Hordak's closest subordinate and/or target of insults/pranks.

There's a really uncomfortable tension between the cartoon-logic set up (She-Ra as heroine plus supporting cast) and the heavily-developed backstory (Adora as Horde Captain, Glimmer and Angella as oppressed royalty) It's all very cool, but they don't work very well together sometimes.

D/L
    I think the problem was not setting up an Angella/Glimmer/She-Ra relationship to be the female mirror of Randor/Duncan/He-Man.

He-Man's the star of his show, but the hierarchy is Randor to Duncan to He-Man. He works for them... not the other way around. That hierarchy adds some stability to the MotU show - a greater sense of order/comfort level with where the characters stand.

Likewise, She-Ra's the star of her show, but the hierachy should have been Angella to Glimmer to She-Ra.

Here, I think that not letting Glimmer in on the secret (as Duncan had been) may have been a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Unfortunately the Glimmer/Adora rebellion leadership 'issues' were left (stupidly) until the second season in the episode 'Come Home Glimmer' which is way too late for this story in my opinion.

I think many of the fans here have already commented that this episode should have been made very near the beginning of the series.

and while we are on the subject of unexplored territory, I always thought it stupid how after 'Battle for Bright Moon' there wasn't a follow up episode where Adora took up the leadership role from Glimmer and Madam Razz and Kowl found out Adora's secret. That is my biggest disapointment with the She-Ra series to be honest.
    While I can accept the Rebellion accepting Adam's words, and Adora's honest face and words, and taking her on as a defection from the Horde with out question (that alone causes many PoP fans problems, but I honestly didn't find it that hard to believe given how good-natured/trusting/trustworthy Bow, Glimmer, Adam, and Adora all are), I find it beyond incredible to take the woman who was the 2nd-in-command of your top enemy, and immediately make her as your leader.

Accepting/trusting a defector is one thing - giving your army to lead to such a defector is quite another. It would make more sense to me to have Angella and Glimmer oversee Adora/She-Ra in the same sense that Randor and Duncan oversees Adam/He-Man - only in the Etherian case, it's not out of family closeness but rather out of gradually earning respect and trust.

I also agree with you on Madame Razz, and Kowl - there should have been an episode dealing with She-Ra choosing which of her allies would be let in on the secret, and then those allies would be told.
    Last edited by Canadian_He-Man; November 19, 2006 at 10:09pm.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    Likewise, She-Ra's the star of her show, but the hierachy should have been Angella to Glimmer to She-Ra.

I find it beyond incredible to take the woman who was the 2nd-in-command of your top enemy, and immediately make her as your leader.

Accepting/trusting a defector is one thing - giving your army to lead to such a defector is quite another.
    I agree with you on all your points (As I usually do ), but couldn't have made the above to points more clearly myself!

Case closed

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Heroic Warrior
    All of these points definitely have become pretty clear after watching just a few episodes again. I'm not a huge fan of the show He-Man, but I will most definitely say he's got a MUCH stronger supporting cast and crew. She-Ra's other members, while colorful, don't add a whole lot of dimension to the story.
    On the other hand, though, She-Ra herself is MUCH more interesting a character to me than He-Man, and the world she lives in (with the battles for freedom and fighting slavery) are much more engaging, so I guess it balances out. But, oh, how much more the show would have been with a tighter supporting cast!

Silverrose

re:

I was never a big fan of Glimmer so I don't miss her that much. I would have liked to have seen more of Castaspella and Mermista.

She does appear to be underused at times.

There could of been chance for very good character development. Her interest in Adam could of been explored more (if they do a new series, that could be an option)

Example, to unite Etheria and Eternia, You have Adam and Glimmer marry. A union like that unites both worlds, and The Horde has a more powerful enemy.

Besides, Glimmer clearly has a crush on Adam, as it has been shown in the series.

There could of been so much potential

Glimmer is one of those characters I never thought to much about beyond her rather interesting powers. I guess I had pay better attention!

What I have noticed though is that there are eps where she tends to forget about her powers. She can teleport, create blinding flashes of light, shoot lasers, create paralyzing tornados, and even fly. That's a pretty impressive list especially considering most MOTU characters have 1 lame power each.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I agree with a lot of the posts said above, especially Blackiecats.

One thing that the writers could have done if they'd noticed this is have an episode where a Horde member pretends to defect, and as the Rebellion are so trusting, they take them in, and the Horde member double crosses them!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post

I agree with you. I've always been curious as to how Adora became the leader.

Heroic Warrior
    One thing that the writers could have done if they'd noticed this is have an episode where a Horde member pretends to defect, and as the Rebellion are so trusting, they take them in, and the Horde member double crosses them!
    Double Trouble!

Ok, so she's supposed to be a good guy pretending to be a bad guy... maybe she could be a bad guy pretending to be a good guy who ends up actually going good by the end of the episode