Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie Rumors Thread

Sounds like a down to earth guy doesn't he?!

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    At least they're still gonna do the Tri-Klops movie, starring Bruce Campbell.

(yup, I just made that up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that on imdb soon )

Apparently, Fox 2000 had designs on creating an "Eragon" franchise ala "Harry Potter" and LOTR:

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...om_top+stories

It's not that a MOTU film isn't marketable -- they just wanted to do it on the cheap.

And now (Given "Eragon's" poor box office and scathing reviews), they seem to be paying a price for it.

All things considered, I think we should be grateful they DIDN'T get He-Man.
    Last edited by Mirage; December 24, 2006 at 01:32am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's not that a MOTU film isn't marketable -- they just wanted to do it on the cheap... All things considered, I think we should be grateful they DIDN'T get He-Man.
    Amen. I think the best franchise movies are ones that are made either by the fans, or the ones made for the fans.

Viewing a franchise as a "cash cow" and not showing things as the fans know and love them is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. Michael Bay - I'm talking to you...

Widget
    i have just watched a bunch of "making of" featurettes on "300"... if they could take the people who put this film together and translate it over to he-man... they don't need any big names to make it sell!

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    i have just watched a bunch of "making of" featurettes on "300"... if they could take the people who put this film together and translate it over to he-man... they don't need any big names to make it sell!
    I saw 300 the other day, and I totally thought that if they ever make a new He-Man movie, they should get the prop and costume designers from that film to work on it. That film is proof that a MOTU movie with characters done in the classic style costumes would work.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    You know, I don't feel upset about this in the least. I never thought John Woo doing He-Man was a good idea. And if Mattel now has the rights back to do a movie, maybe somebody a little more interesting will get a hold of this project and bring it to fruition.
    I hope the Transformers film opens doors for a MOTU film.

Why cant they do on through Lionsgate? They would probably do a good adaptation.
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    I'm sure if TMNT and Transformers are successes, then a He-Man movie will be more likely.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

300 made mad dollars this weekend. Not only that, but it's actually a really great, kick-ass kind of movie. Simple premise but done in a way that totally engrosses you. It gives me hope that someone with director Zack Snyder's talent will do MOTU right one of these days (well, one of these years, I guess).

Aye! Zack Snyder's the man for the job alright!

Meh. I found 300 to be very shallow and in love with visuals more than anything. It was funny to see an entire army of people dressed like Dolph Lundgren's He-Man and with the war cry "Ho! Ho! Ho!" Considering that real Spartans owned slaves and in the movie were willing to throw "imperfect" babies to their deaths, I didn't find them to be worthy heroes. Despite the name, He-Man isn't all about blind machismo like 300. If someone like Snyder makes the movie, I hope he does it differently. I think the Star Wars prequels are closer to how a MOTU movie should be, and I say that feeling those are far from perfect.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    I would want them to be more like LOTR in scope/scale, but fast moving action, like Star Wars or Spider man films. The material would have to be taken seriously, though.

Dr. Ω

Hey. I just noticed that Moviehole did an interview with Adam Rifkin. Apparently they're taking questions for him. I'm not that good with words/thinking up professional sounding questions. Maybe one of you can ask about the MotU script?

http://www.moviehole.net/news/200703..._a_questi.html

(The link to the interview is on the top right)

I'm not sure I see a point in asking him anything!

He's off the project and I don't think he's suitable for MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    I'm not sure I see a point in asking him anything!

He's off the project and I don't think he's suitable for MOTU.
    I figured it might be interesting as an "out of curiosity" type of thing to see what direction he was planning to go with Masters.

On another note, what I find a bit unusual, is that Moviehole (and this guy) are the ones who broke the news about Fox 2000 canning the project. But yet, he now refers to MotU as being an 'upcoming' project? Then in another March 2007 interview with Adam, someone mentioned the MotU film as being 'forthcoming' and Adam didn't say: "Oh, they canned that project" or anything. I mean, maybe he's not kept in the loop, but it'd be kinda funny if there was some kind of renewed interest. hehe

On yet another note, even though the project has been dropped, MotU is exploding on the rankings on the pro version of Internet Movie Database's MovieMeter...lol It's had been lingering in the 6000s range for the last couple of months, but now it's in the 700-800 range.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    An MotU movie is quite a long shot, I'm afraid.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Tri-Chick
    Well, I liked Daredevil (the director's cut added about an hour and a half onto the film), loved Fantastic Four and Ghostrider, can't wait to see Transformers, and hold Masters of the Universe as the Holy Grail of all my 80s movies. That could mean that I'm either in bad taste or am just easy to please.

That said, I'm kind of glad that the He-man movie was booted out of the boat. It's just not the right time, in my opinion. Yeah, there's a fanbase and all, but it's relatively small compared to what's out there now. I mean, take a look at Harry Potter and LOTR; massive, massive fanbases, which I lay blame for on the books.

The He-man cartoons (the newer version, specifically) garnered a few more fans here and there, but I think most of us knew that it was only a matter of time until it was pulled. Sad really; it was one of the few cartoons out there that was actually decent in content.

Parent figures were respected and treated with such, evil was always defeated, and good triumphed always. Even some of the cheesier episodes were all gooey-sweet with the stuff! It's probably some media construed plot to poison the minds of the young by throwing forth filth that devalues basic morals and criticizes the home for being too stuffy and old fashioned. I know, I know, it's been going on forever, but now they've leeched their way into the cartoon industry! I feel older, all of the sudden...

In my personal and highly biased opinion, I think that Peter Jackson would be a cool idea as a director, but also kind of...weird. It's have to have a damn good plot and some damn fine actors if it ever expects to get off the ground, especially if Jackson doe his trademark make-it-three-and-a-half-hours-long finishing move. George Lucas might work too, but I wasn't too impressed with ROTS; kind of corny, pretty cliched, and he killed Grievous off too early.

So there's my two cents; hope at least one person was enlightened

Cheerio!

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    I'd love to hear what Rifkin had planned. Probably cringe worthy, but still..

Dr. Ω

Quote Originally Posted by KILLER-CLONE View Post
    No special powers? When was the last time HeMan transformed into a truck?
    he never did, but he's torn apart many a robot and vehicle with his bare hands, even punched through three feet of solid steel. Optimus wouldn't stand a chance. so tell me this - when is the last time optimus defeated the most powerful man in the universe?

now THOSE are the facts jack!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Omega View Post
    I'd love to hear what Rifkin had planned. Probably cringe worthy, but still..

Dr. Ω
    Sent in the question(s). Hopefully it's 1 of the 20 he chooses to answer.

Hello Adam,

Can you give us an idea what direction you went on the
    script for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe? It
    has been stated that Fox 2000 handed the project back
    to Mattel, but now Moviehole has listed it as an
    'upcoming' project. Has there been some renewed
    interest?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    On another note, what I find a bit unusual, is that Moviehole (and this guy) are the ones who broke the news about Fox 2000 canning the project. But yet, he now refers to MotU as being an 'upcoming' project? Then in another March 2007 interview with Adam, someone mentioned the MotU film as being 'forthcoming' and Adam didn't say: "Oh, they canned that project" or anything. I mean, maybe he's not kept in the loop, but it'd be kinda funny if there was some kind of renewed interest. hehe

Fox 2000 wants a franchise (That's what they were aiming for with "Eragon".)

Now that "Eragon" has crashed and burned, perhaps they're now taking a second look at "He-Man"? (If nothing else, it has an established fanbase and a 25-year history. )

If you really want to see another MotU movie, your best bet would be to buy tickets to the TMNT movie, and then the Transformers movie later in the summer. Lots of tickets. If either (or both) of those movies become a major success, MotU is pretty much the next franchise in line. That or Captain Planet.
    Throwing acid is wrong, in some people's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by FangMan View Post
    If you really want to see another MotU movie, your best bet would be to buy tickets to the TMNT movie, and then the Transformers movie later in the summer. Lots of tickets. If either (or both) of those movies become a major success, MotU is pretty much the next franchise in line. That or Captain Planet.

Hmmm, I would guess Garfield 3 has a better chance of a movie than MotU.
    Even if TMNT or TF do well.

And honestly, I may be the pecimist here, but I can't imagine either of those two will be the major blockbusters required to even toy with the idea of another MotU movie.

(Remembering all the "making fun of" snickers I heard when those trailers played in the movies.)

Now with all that said... Do I HOPE and PRAY I'm wrong? You bet your furry undies I hope I'm totally wrong!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I know this isn't how the studios see it and such BUT I fully believe if done right an MOTU movie will easily be a hit. it has everything to make a hit. hot people in skimpy clothes, the opportunity for great special effects and amazing action sequences. bigger than life locations characters and creatures and we are at the right time in technology.

Everyone scoffed t the idea of a movie being made off a disney ride (Pirates of the Caribbean) but look how HUGE that became esp the sequel. now yes DISNEY owns it and is behind it but I'm not talking from a financial backing - company who owns it believes in it way, I'm just talking about potential. yes I'm saying this as a fan but I'm also saying it from the point of view of a movie goer. MOTU has all the ingredients to make a great franchise flick. shoot if done right it can even win a few oscars (at LEAST for effects set decoration and the like)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I know this isn't how the studios see it and such BUT I fully believe if done right an MOTU movie will easily be a hit. it has everything to make a hit. hot people in skimpy clothes, the opportunity for great special effects and amazing action sequences. bigger than life locations characters and creatures and we are at the right time in technology.

Everyone scoffed t the idea of a movie being made off a disney ride (Pirates of the Caribbean) but look how HUGE that became esp the sequel. now yes DISNEY owns it and is behind it but I'm not talking from a financial backing - company who owns it believes in it way, I'm just talking about potential. yes I'm saying this as a fan but I'm also saying it from the point of view of a movie goer. MOTU has all the ingredients to make a great franchise flick. shoot if done right it can even win a few oscars (at LEAST for effects set decoration and the like)
    Well, the oscar comment might be streching it (though, anything is possible, I guess... I mean, even South Park was nominated for an oscar), but I pretty much agree with everything else you've said here.

MOTU has SO much potential, but very few people seem to be able to see past whatever it is that blocks so many from seeing that potential. And those who can see don't seem to be in a position of power to actually make it happen.

I believe that if handled in just the right way, the MOTU movie could be perfect (or near perfect). I mean, sure, currently there is a limited MOTU fan base. But, there are a lot of people (one that grew up on 80s MOTU) who feel they've 'outgrown' cartoons and toys, and probably had/would have had little to no interest in the 200X cartoon, toyline, and/or the current stactions. And, if they were to pick up the DVD sets of the old cartoon show that are now out, they might look at it, think of it as being extremely cheesey, and not see it the same way they did as a kid.

However, if a MOTU movie were to come out and be done right, it could take many of the elements of MOTU that so many are familiar with and love, adapt them into a form that adults of today (as well as kids) could strongly enjoy, and give those who grew up on MOTU back in the day something that will bring back all of those wonderful nostalgic feelings without the 'cheesey' after-taste. I'm sure if someone who loved MOTU as a kid saw a trailer for what would clearly be a well-done MOTU movie, they would be all over it.

And, the movie would also be done in such a way that people not familar with the series at all could love it as well.

Even if there isn't a huge base of ACTIVE fans, MOTU was FREAKING HUGE a couple of decades ago or so, and I'm sure about 99.9999% of those fans from back then are still alive, well, and kicking today. All it will take is the right movie with the right advertising campaign to awaken the MOTU fan within each of them. It can be done, while also creating some new fans in the process.

Now, if only someone would actually do it and not screw it up.