Thread: Sy-Klone classic figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Sy-Klone classic figure review thread

This weeks figure in the spotlight in SY-KLONE.

I remember clearly buying my Sy-Klone figure. We went to visit a relation who lived a long way away and whom we didn't see very often due to distance. They had bought me a Tri-Klops figure, not knowing I already had one (actually, seeing how little they saw me, it was quite a stroke they even got the toy-line right). Back home the next day, my Grandma took me into the local high-street, and even though we didn't have the receipt, we managed to exchange the duplicate TK for a brand new figure just released, whom I had never seen before - a yellow and blue being called Sy-Klone.

I think the thing that initially attracted me to Sy-Klone, besides his cool colour scheme, was the holographic disk on his chest.

But of course, out of the box, his awesome action feature came into its own - spin the thumbwheel on his waist, and Sy-Klone would spin around like a tornado. His arms were hinged at the shoulders, so when spun, they would raise up.

Back to the holograph on the figure's chest, apparently it was for Mr. Klone to be able to predict the weather. I can't say I recall this ability to ever be called into action in any of the adventures I saw Kloney in. "Hey Sy-Klone, shall we go to Castle Grayskull?" "No, my weather disk says it's gonna rain!".

Sy-Klone's prototype name was Tornado. The figure's accompanying mini-comic, 'Spikor Strikes', had already been penned, and the name had to be changed. However, one panel forgot to be altered, and Sy-Klone is still referred to as Tornado in it.

Sy-Klone turned up on the odd occasion in the second season of the Filmation cartoon. He was okay, but somehow never quite as cool as the toy version.

The later additions to the original toy-line never seemed to have as much depth and character as the original couple of waves, they never seemed as much 'proper' cannon. But outside of the original two waves of figures, I think, on hindsight, Sy-Klone might rank as one of my favourite additions to the line, particularly as far as the Heroic Warriors are concerned.

My friend Martin also had a Sy-Klone figure as a kid, and always said that Sy-Klone (face) looked like He-Man, and always used to have him as a long-lost relation of He-Man's.

I was never quite sure as to Sy-Klone's 'official' origins regarding what he was exactly. Some sources (including 200x ones) suggested that he was a cyborg, although this was never really played up if he was.

I liked his introductory, 'origin' episode, "The Mystery of Anwat Gar" in the Mike Young Productions cartoon, and his expanded role in the series.

The 200x revamp of Sy-Klone was pretty good. It for the most retained the look of the classic figure. The main addition was the odd 'battle ring' (as the box describes it) on the figure's back, that can be move down to sit on the figure's shoulders. I'm not sure how this affected play with the figure, as my 200x Sy-Klone is still sealed in box, but I didn't feel the 'battle ring' was really needed. It almost felt like "okay, we haven't revamped this one so much, we need to add something more to it".

All-in-all, (regarding the classic version), the figure had an excellent colour scheme, a great action feature, and the holographic disk on his chest was the cherry on the cake. One of the best additions, post-first two waves, to the Heroic Warriors.

I give Sy-Klone 9 out of 10.

Well, there's my ramblings on the character.
    As always, I'd like to hear your thoughts, memories, comments, how you used to play with the figure... anything to do with Sy-Klone.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

lol!!!

i love the figure(but then i love anything that spins)i cant think of a single thing i dont like i give 10 out of 10.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Chris here...

Even though I never had him as a kid, Sy-Klone is easily one of my top 5 favourite classic MOTU figures - his action feature is a thing of genius!

I got the classic Sy-Klone figure 6 years ago, actually at around this time of year IIRC, as a "Thank You" present from an online friend of mine. I was instantly blown away by the action feature and would regularly pick Sy-Klone up just to play with him!

As a character, even though his backstory is barely touched in any of the most notable 1980s MOTU canons, I feel that for those with an active imagination there's a lot to be taken from Sy-Klone - not just his action feature, but also his origins and the hologram on his chest! When MYP got hold of the character I really enjoyed the origin story they gave him (in fact, "The Mystery of Anwat Gar", whilst a much-maligned episode, is actually one of my very favourites!), and I have a happy memory of buying the 200X version of the figure from Woolworth's here in the UK when MOTU figures were selling well and many toyshops had a plentiful supply of different characters. The same day I also picked up Contender's He-Man Volume 2 DVD release from (the now-defunct) MVC, and so it was a real MOTU day!

If I was going to grade Sy-Klone as an action figure, for both the classic and new version I would give him at least a 9 out of 10!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I adopted this name as my moniker six years ago (has it really been six years?!!) for a very simple reason:

I really loved the figure.

The action feature always mesmerized me as a lad, and the cool holographic radar emblem on his chest was awesome.

I love this figure. And in the last six years, I've grown to love the fact that my online identity has become Sy-Klone, not just here but at other boards as well. I love this nickname. I love this figure.

The character was never utilized to his full potential (on either the Filmation series or the MYP series), but I don't mind. I still think he's incredibly cool. I don't care for the samurai undertones of the MYP reinvention, but that's a personal preference.

As I typed this post, my classic Sy-Klone figure (which I've had for 20 years!) is sitting in front of my monitor, where it will continue to sit as a reminder of who I am, of who I've become, and what I really and truly am passionate about.

That should say it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    The character was never utilized to his full potential (on either the Filmation series or the MYP series), but I don't mind. I still think he's incredibly cool. I don't care for the samurai undertones of the MYP reinvention, but that's a personal preference.
    I wasn't too keen on the samurai connections either. I like how they gave the character a bit more background, but the samurai elements felt out of sync with the character and the series in general. One of my main gripes of the 200x line was that much of the original mythos was sacrificed in place of welded on manga / samurai / whatever influences to appeal to "the kids" that didn't really work. But maybe that's a discussion for another thread!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Alright, now we're cookin'! An action figure with real action to it! Perhaps the first of the classic series that I genuinely liked, Sy-Klone has everything going for him. His colour scheme is nothing short of brilliant - bright and bold, yet not overpoweringly so. He stands out perhaps more than any other He-Man figure (colour-wise) yet he's never harsh on the peepers either. That's saying something.

AS Spacey has already mentioned, Sy-Klone's selling point is that magnificent chest hologram of his. That hologram is a thing of beauty and I could just while away the time moving him up and down to catch all the reflections and details therein. The only thing that topped this was, of course, his action feature itself. I could also spin that guy around and around (whilst listening to "You Spin Me Round") back in the day.. Infact nowadays I have his 200X update on my workdesk to relieve job-related stress. Just spin him around and feel all your troubles melt away. I think Mattel went about marketing this toy the wrong way; Perhaps they should have packaged him as follows:

WORLD'S MOST EFFECTIVE STRESS RELIEVER!!! ALSO FUNCTIONS AS TOY!

This guy's got nothing wrong with him - save for the fact that his hologram fell off awfully easily. Still, this guy gets all my love. 9 out of 10.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    A really fun figure and very different looking from the rest of the figures. Had loads of play value and just looked cool.

The new version is also a very good update.

Figure ratings: 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
    Infact nowadays I have his 200X update on my workdesk to relieve job-related stress. Just spin him around and feel all your troubles melt away. I think Mattel went about marketing this toy the wrong way; Perhaps they should have packaged him as follows:

WORLD'S MOST EFFECTIVE STRESS RELIEVER!!! ALSO FUNCTIONS AS TOY!

Maybe someone should buy the rights and produce a line of executive toys based on MOTU. I think I feel an idea for a whole other thread coming on!!
    ~jay firestorm~

The thing I remember most about sy klone was his abillity to take out many foes very fast useing his spining fists action feature. I remember argueing with my brother about wheather syklone could be power punched by another figure,

Hordak as I recall I told my brother no way not while he was spinning so fast. you would have to sneak up on him or surprize him before he started spinning. and thats the way we allways played the only way to take sy klone out of action was lazer fire.my only gripe with sy klone was how his flight abillity was suposed to work. at first I thought he flew like a hellacopter with his arms, but in the mini comic it shows him spinning with his legs to fly, that kinda confused me. 9 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by braxsis364 View Post
    my only gripe with sy klone was how his flight abillity was suposed to work. at first I thought he flew like a hellacopter with his arms, but in the mini comic it shows him spinning with his legs to fly, that kinda confused me. 9 out of 10
    I agree, the exact section of Sy-Klone's body that was shown to be the 'spinning' part varied in different medias - in a couple of appearances, it was even his arms themselves that twirled around!

My friends and I always used to debate if Sy-Klone could fly. We generally agreed that he could fly, but only for short periods at a time, and not as high or as well controlled as Stratos or Buzz Off.
    ~jay firestorm~

cyber-assassin
    I think Sy-clone's ok. He's fun and all, but my 2 year old adores him. So much so I had to get him his own. BTW, a shield is NOT a proper weapon. My two year old enjoys just spinning him, since he still has problems with the spinner dial.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.