Thread: Modulok classic figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Modulok classic figure review thread

This week's figure to discuss is the classic MODULOK.

As kids, my friends and I used to love changing the regular figures' arms around. They easily pulled off of one and clipped onto another. A favourite was to give He-Man Trap Jaw's mechanical arm. I wonder if this is where Mattel got the idea for Modulok, as the whole thing uses the same joining system as the average figures' arms.

I loved Modulok as a kid. His classic red, alien look, and the whole idea was simple but amazing.

Modulok came in a box, with some of the many suggested designs printed across it. Just the fact that he came in a box, not package like the regular figures, just made him feel so special and unique.

Amazingly, I didn't lose any of Modulok's parts. Well, I say "amazing" - I actually did used to take very good care of my MOTU figures. Except when I got a later Malaysian He-Man with the rare side-handle axe, and wanted it to resemble my original and pulled it off - only to later find out it was quite rare! Anyway, back to Modulok.

Modulok was the only Evil Horde-related character to appear in the original two seasons of the Filmation cartoon series, making three appearances, in "Mistaken Identity", "Happy Birthday Roboto" and "Here, There, Skeletors Everywhere". In "Mistaken Identity", he was given a quite good origin story as scientist Galen Nycroft, who mutated himself into Modulok (although I always also used to like to think of Modulok as a genuine alien from a far-off world that Hordak had stumbled across). In the cartoon, he was only usually seen with one head, mostly for Filmation's cost cutting method of flipping animation cells.

The packaging suggested buying several Moduloks, to combine all the pieces and built truly giant creatures.

Following the huge success of Modulok, Mattel later released a similar figure, Multi Bot. Multi Bot came with two torsos, one of the only things that Modulok lacked, allowing two regular body type creatures to be constructed. Multi Bot could also be combined with Modulok to build 'Mega Beast', although this was never really played upon to any great extent. Multi Bot was good, but somehow never quite as cool as Modulok, and I felt his body parts were too clunky and didn't use their robot concept to their full potential. But that's another discussion for a future figure review!...

All-all-in, Modulok was unique. A simple design, but with unlimited play creating new designs. I give the figure a top rating 10/10.

Share your own thoughts, memories, comments, criticisms, anything you like on Modulok...
    Last edited by Spacedust; December 15, 2006 at 04:15pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    I agree that Modulok being packaged differently made him seem more special. I never liked how his torso was so thin. I liked the design, but I would've preferred him to be more muscular to fit in with the rest of the line. His joints were not as big as the ones of the regular figures, so he could not be mixed with Trap Jaw's arms or anyone else's. The fingers (claws) were also too thin. I would've preferred, again, something with a bit more weight and girth.

I never liked his second head. It looked stupid with that green butterfly looking thing on his eyes. I did like the idea of a second head, though. The idea of using more than one box of parts to assemble a giant creature was very appealing to me as a child. I wanted to buy so many that I could make him touch the ceiling of my bedroom. Alas, I never bought more than one. I liked the girth on the Multi-Bot figure much more. It seemed to match the bulkiness of the MOTU line. The orange head was really neat, but I didn't like that human-faced one. I'd always put that one with the Modulok Head I didn't like.

Despite listing it's many faults that I found with it, I always enjoyed Modulok and would sometimes become distracted with configuring him, I'd forget about the others. He-Man was left alone on a cliff or in a pit somewhere while I was essentially playing a form of "dress up" with Modulok.

The Modulok depicted in the mini-comic was freakishly creepy and really awesome! The idea of receiving a box with just a head, or a leg, or an arm seems very eerie to me. The idea of him being with Skeletor, then Hordak, made him seem like what I thought all of the villains would've been like in real life... just thugs that went from gang to gang. I liked that about the cartoon.

Rock on Modulok!
    Last edited by Razzbel; December 15, 2006 at 06:12pm.
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Razzbel View Post
    I never liked how his torso was so thin. I liked the design, but I would've preferred him to be more muscular to fit in with the rest of the line. His joints were not as big as the ones of the regular figures, so he could not be mixed with Trap Jaw's arms or anyone else's. The fingers (claws) were also too thin. I would've preferred, again, something with a bit more weight and girth.
    While the way most of the figures were chunky and muscular was one of the things I loved about the original line, I actually like how Modulok is slimmer and more spindley. It gives him a more unique and alien look, standing apart from most of the other figures.

I have to admit, by the way, that the secon head could maybe have been a bit better (but it was still okay). I always had him as the stupid one. The other head was the thinker and the leader.
    Last edited by Spacedust; December 16, 2006 at 07:58am. Reason: fixed typo
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Oooh!

Well, any of the Horde figures were awesome in my book... Modulok was definitely special because of the playability (is that a word?) and the cool box he came in.

I remember thinking he was just really scary, and was a total threat because he could change and become a worthy adversary for any of the good guys.

Once, I was waiting for my mom in the lobby of the Dermatologist's office, and she came out with the doctor and the doctor said, "What IS that??" My mom said something like, "Oh, it's a new He-Man figure - he loves He-Man... show the Dr." So, I did, but I was mid-assembly, and the torso was on a piece with legs, but there was one of the connector 'bumps' where his thingy would have been... I didn't mean it, but it HORRIFIED the doctor and her receotionist... She said, "that is Macabre" -- and I later asked my mom what "macabre" meant... and that was my new word for the week. LOL

I too disliked the second head with the weird green color and antennae... when he appeared on the toon, and that second head was shown as robotic, I started to like it more... as it wasn't HIM, it was an accessory

out of 10, I give Modulok a 9!!
    I would have loved if he had had a Bat-themed weapon or insignia though...
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I would have loved if he had had a Bat-themed weapon or insignia though...
    I also love Modulok and the way he was so different from all the other motu shapes and forms. But I think I would liked him even more if he had a horde symbol. His weapon was just genious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    I also love Modulok and the way he was so different from all the other motu shapes and forms. But I think I would liked him even more if he had a horde symbol. His weapon was just genious.
    While Modulok might have been good witha Horde bat symbol, I also didn't mind him without it. Ignoring the Filmation version of events, I kind of liked imagining him as a late-comer to the Horde, from some far off alien world, and being so alien was hard for Hordak to control and was very much his own boss.
    ~jay firestorm~

Modulok was always a huge favorite. I remember buying a second one a short time after my first, so I could have more parts to make more creatures with. And then when Multi-Bot came out, it was just as exciting for me- I used to play it so that they could "grow" out of each other during battles to overwhelm their opponent. Modulok was the freakiest of the whole bunch- his blood-red skin tone made him look... well... skinless and wet! Gross! To me he was a monstrous insect-like alien being. I was never a fan of Filmation's rendering of him, but recently I've been watching the Season Two Volume Two dvds and I'll admit- I got terribly excited when I came across Modulok's debut episode for the first time since the '80s!
    He's a must-do for the Four Horsemen's staction line, or to me 200x MOTU will feel incomplete! It's just too bad Mattel didn't get around to redoing him as an action figure- because man- boxes of modern-day Moduloks would have flown off the shelves, because I would have bought all of 'em!

I can't say anythign that hasn't aloreadu beem said, but I do have one critique, so you guys can tell me what you think of this... And that is that there IS a slight lack of diversity in how to put him together at times. I thibnk this come from the fact that the only square "Abdomen peice" that has a peg going up is the front part. BEcause of that, nothing can be put ont he front of that peice and you can only have a torso or whatever on his front. You can't line a bunch up with legs out the sides and three or four torsos on the top. You CAN flip one with side pegs around, BUT thenyou lose the ability for legs on it too. I'd have liked for there to be maybe a few more square peices that might have pegs on the sides, top and/or holds on both front AND back, which would let you plug into it, rather than need a hole for it's peg.

If the line would have continued, update packs, like the Weapon Packs, that would have some new molded parts each yeah... that would have ruled.

Other than that, one of my favs. I've only recently started collecting extra moduloks for making a MEGALOK!! I have about 3 now only. Combined with Multibot, he can get pretty cool.

9 out of 10 (because of the lack of more diverse parts)
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

I agree that one of Modulok's few draw backs was maybe the lack of a couple of parts, ie. two torsos, and more of the 'four way joining blocks'. But that was a minor niggle, the figure still had plenty of play potential.
    And if you bought more than one Modulok, the possibilities were endless.

I several times planned to buy a second Modulok, but with exciting new figures being released all the time to lure my pocket money away, I never got around to it.

I too would have loved to have seen a 200x version of Modulok. It would have been awesome. We never even got to see an animated 200x version of him, so what he might have looked like is left to our imaginations.
    ~jay firestorm~

Chris here...

I have a loose but complete Modulok (albeit minus the weapon) that I'm ashamed to say I've never properly played with - I'm always worried that if I dismantle him to create a new Modulok monster I'll forget how to put him back to his regular state!

Are there are diagrams anywhere on the Internet that show how you put Modulok back together? If so, that might encourage me to experiment with him a bit more!

I would say that in the Filmation cartoon Modulok is one of my favourite characters - I love the "crossover" aspect of the character, and I love the fact that for the most part he was never used for comic relief (apart from a brief scene in the Christmas Special), which sets him apart from a lot of Filmation villains!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

I have a loose but complete Modulok (albeit minus the weapon) that I'm ashamed to say I've never properly played with - I'm always worried that if I dismantle him to create a new Modulok monster I'll forget how to put him back to his regular state!

Are there are diagrams anywhere on the Internet that show how you put Modulok back together? If so, that might encourage me to experiment with him a bit more!
    I have Modulok's box and his instruction sheet. I'll try and scan it and post it sometime, if that's any use.
    ~jay firestorm~

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I have Modulok's box and his instruction sheet. I'll try and scan it and post it sometime, if that's any use.
    Wow, that's really kind of you! Yes please, if you wouldn't mind that would really help me get the most out of my Modulok! Many thanks once again!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Modulok was always one of my favorites, but the strange thing is remembering how limited my imagination was with him. I only ever constructed him to have his "standard" 4-armed, 6-legged look from the packaging.

He-Fan, sorry it took me a couple of days, I've been snowed under (no pun intended) with this and that before Christmas, but here are the scans of Modulok's box and instruction sheet.

The main illustration of Modulok on the front side of the box is his standard design (except that he has his two heads the other way around).

Don't be afraid to experiment with your figure; I hate to see a good Modulok go to waste!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior

modulok

my response may not be popular but here it goes. There came a point when Mattel just started phoning it in with MOTU, in my opinion this was somewhere between Princess of Power and the Stone warriors. How could they make maximum profit with a toy line waning in popularity in the wake of Transformers and the like. Modulok was MOTU creativity at its peek. They were churning out interesting characters, but this one was different. Cast from a different mold (literally) and a whole different play experience. It showed the creators still could be creative before Snout Spout and the meteorbs started showing up.

a 9 out of 10

I allways liked modulok to I used to play him as an alien, and multi bot was cool to and the idea they could all combine, with modulok. I allso wanted a lot of them to make a huge modulok, bulti bot prison. for He man and corect me if im wrong but wassint thier an illistraition like this somewhere in He man lore. if not my inmaginaition must have been way out there even as a child. I would give modulok an allmost perfect score 9 other than the fact mentioned before of his lack of diversity in possible combinaitions.

Quote Originally Posted by stuecketor View Post
    my response may not be popular but here it goes. There came a point when Mattel just started phoning it in with MOTU, in my opinion this was somewhere between Princess of Power and the Stone warriors. How could they make maximum profit with a toy line waning in popularity in the wake of Transformers and the like. Modulok was MOTU creativity at its peek. They were churning out interesting characters, but this one was different. Cast from a different mold (literally) and a whole different play experience. It showed the creators still could be creative before Snout Spout and the meteorbs started showing up.

a 9 out of 10
    I totally agree, there was defiantly a point where MOTU started getting lazy, and knocking out very gimmicky figures, with a gimmick selling point but very little actual character to them. Snout Spout... urgh, don't mention that name. I think he may be my least favourite of all MOTU figures!
    ~jay firestorm~

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Modulok is my favourite MOTU character in the cartoon, I love the way they use him, his storylines and his malevolent evil scientist personality, whether he's working on his own or in association with other villains, he is always amazing!

I have 4 Moduloks, it's still fun to assemble him in all kinds of crazy configurations! I love has backstory of being a scientist transformed into Modulok, joining Skeletor's crew only to betray him and join Hordak. I wish we had seen him working closely with Entrapta, maybe plotting together to betray the Horde with their mechanical genius.
    It was cool that the Modulok figure didn't have a Horde symbol since it didn't tie him to any one group affiliation. It may have been good for him to have a removable one like Grizzlor though?

The Modulok figure gets a 10 out of 10 from me, it has versatility and if you own several, the possibilities are endless!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Modulok is one of my favorite figures. I spent hours playing with him creating new bodies for him to take on He-Man.

The best part was that he could be one of Skeletor's warriors, a Hordesman or an independent villian. You had playing choices for him.

Modulok scores a 10/10 in my book.