Thread: Is Marvel Studios with Fox (X-Men) going for silver/bronze/copper ages on film?

Heroic Warrior

Is Marvel Studios with Fox (X-Men) going for silver/bronze/copper ages on film?

While DC/WB seems to be going for the 90's dark age of comics?

They do know what happened to all that don't they?

I mean DC/WB seems to be taking the wrong lessons from Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy without understanding what made them work well, now love it or hate it, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy were refreshing unique movies, despite flaws, is considered comic book films. They're intellectual in some parts, they reflect human flaws, and they show hope arising despite the cynicism in play. More importantly, they stand as individual movies and not reflections of a genre they're in and are influenced by Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Denny O'Neil/Neil Adams (my favorite take on Batman in comics), Chuck Dixon and Grant Morrison. They did had some humor from Alfred and Lucious Fox even that black comical scene of the pencil trick of Joker to Joker in drag in TDK but also stories about hope and redemption. Yet since they were major successes, studios have been trying to ape them even Man of Steel and taking the wrong lessons of thinking dark/gritty is cool without what makes something successful good.

Reminds me of some comics in the 90s that took the wrong lessons from Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Heavy Metal Magazine and Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo without understanding what made them sooo successful even in the 80s. Afterall Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Ronin, Swamp Thing, Batman Year One, Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, V For Vendetta and more of Frank Miller/Alan Moore were major successes for DC and earned critical acclaim including praise from readers as changing the medium forever for being like motion pictures as comics but were not successful because of dark/grit stuff but good storytelling with fine artwork plus there was some humor there like TDKR which had some black comedy in it's satire. Even Heavy Metal Magazine which had been in the US since 1977 was a successful mature readers comic magazine as sure despite the sex, violence, some drug use, language and nudity there was some substance to some of the stories like Richard Corben's stories for example and they had imagination to open up the minds of readers plus some humor and Corben was a good storyteller. Yet Miller, Moore and HM Magazine unfortunately lead to some major wannabes in the 90s who try to ape their successes even by thinking dark/gritty/grim is the answer to success but learned the wrong ways. Same for Akira by Katushiro Otomo the original manga, it did came out in Japan in 1982 but came to the United States in 1988 by Marvel Epic and became the best selling manga in the US as it was a smash for Marvel-Epic comics. Yet the manga maybe dark and gritty yet violent but it was a unique mature work of storytelling about humanity/evolution/spirituality/science together especially with the movie which came out in Japan in 1988 but in the US in limited showings in theaters in Christmas 1989 throughout the US and Canada at city theaters by Streamline but was successful in arthouse theaters plus midnight showings. Yet also Akira did spawned imitators in the US in comics and also took the wrong lessons.

Yet do you think Marvel Studios films plus Fox's X-Men franchise are embracing the 60s/70s/80s silver, bronze and copper age of comics?
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; February 10, 2016 at 06:46pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Not really.

Marvel seems to be embracing... whatever they're doing NOW. Civil War was one of the darkest stories in Marvel history... 'heroes' doing terrible things, ending with CAPTAIN AMERICA shot dead on the courthouse stairs...

Going that route for the new movie doesn't feel very Silver/bronze agey to me. Not even mentioning Fox's 'Deadpool'... Nothing silver/bronzeish about that....

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Not really.

Marvel seems to be embracing... whatever they're doing NOW. Civil War was one of the darkest stories in Marvel history... 'heroes' doing terrible things, ending with CAPTAIN AMERICA shot dead on the courthouse stairs...

Going that route for the new movie doesn't feel very Silver/bronze agey to me. Not even mentioning Fox's 'Deadpool'... Nothing silver/bronzeish about that....
    No but Marvel/Disney/Fox seems to embrace the material and DC tends to shy away or be "PC" when it comes to certain things...Instead of doing it like Marvel does...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    No but Marvel/Disney/Fox seems to embrace the material and DC tends to shy away or be "PC" when it comes to certain things...Instead of doing it like Marvel does...
    I think that's it.

DC seems embarrassed to be making "super hero movies", while Marvel is celebrating it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I think that's it.

DC seems embarrassed to be making "super hero movies", while Marvel is celebrating it.

Hey Megalon and BCI, what about X-Men by Fox? do you think they done well with Singer in control now and that Days of Future Past is more mature than Man of Steel? and Deadpool looks promising as it is gonna be a fun black comedy action comic book film.

And do you both agree that DC is aping the dark age of comics of the 1990s even with the "No jokes" policy? do you remember the Dark age of comics and what happened to all that? do you think DC is repeating those 90s mistakes again on film?

And BCI, do you think DC needs to get out of the 90s and start going to the 60s/70s/80s silver bronze and copper ages? and do you agree about 90s comics taking the wrong lessons from Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Heavy Metal Magazine and Akira (the manga) without understanding what made them unique and successful and that the Dark Age of Comics (the 90s) was a rotting corpse that was poisonus tripe that was killed and buried for a reason as it nearly destroyed the comic industry?

And did Marvel Studios studied 90s comics and didn't repeat those mistakes of the 90s on film?

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Hey Megalon and BCI, what about X-Men by Fox? do you think they done well with Singer in control now and that Days of Future Past is more mature than Man of Steel? and Deadpool looks promising as it is gonna be a fun black comedy action comic book film.

And do you both agree that DC is aping the dark age of comics of the 1990s even with the "No jokes" policy? do you remember the Dark age of comics and what happened to all that? do you think DC is repeating those 90s mistakes again on film?

And BCI, do you think DC needs to get out of the 90s and start going to the 60s/70s/80s silver bronze and copper ages? and do you agree about 90s comics taking the wrong lessons from Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Heavy Metal Magazine and Akira (the manga) without understanding what made them unique and successful and that the Dark Age of Comics (the 90s) was a rotting corpse that was poisonus tripe that was killed and buried for a reason as it nearly destroyed the comic industry?

And did Marvel Studios studied 90s comics and didn't repeat those mistakes of the 90s on film?
    X-Men is kinda touchy with me they are good films but the biggest flaw with them is not being 100% faithful to the character design or they change characters and make them weird (Like the Sentinels having Mystiqe's power??? Deadpool getting his mouth shown shut,not having any continuity etc.) Funny thing is Deadpool is going to be huge and now Colossus is who he is supposed to be with the look,size and accent.Daniel Cudmore was good but he didn't want to come back because someone else would be doing his voice...Last time I checked Colossus was Russian not American....And DC broke the one law that has NEVER happened with Superman he never KILLS.He could have subdued Zod like he has done before but he killed him when he fought Doomsday that was the ONLY way to stop him after he went thru dozens of heroes trying to stop him and then we find out Doomsday didn't really die.

DC is trying to play catch up with Marvel when over the years BOTH companies have copied off of each other and taken jabs at each other for years so why are they trying to cram alot of info into one film so they can get a Justice League movie out ASAP

Listen I love and grew up with BOTH DC & Marvel and it's sad that one is doing so well and the other has a chance to but chooses not to for whatever reason and getting back to Justice League for the life of me why is Cyborg going to be a "founding" member?? Are they going "PC" again?

This is the lineup they SHOULD have:

1.Batman
    2.Superman
    3.Wonder Woman
    4.Aquaman
    5.Flash
    6.Green Lantern
    7.Martian Manhunter

Cyborg doesn't fit it should be MM in the JL and Marvel with the Avengers had all of the original members except Ant Man/Wasp but they showed up latter. DC should have had separate films to introduce the characters and get an origin story some are going to get one but others are not so go figure. And DC was really stupid on NOT tying the TV shows in with the movies.Arrow and Flash SHOULD be in the films as well as TV but they cast a new flash and probably will with Arrow as well.

See Marvel is smart by tying their TV shows,Netflix TV & movies in the same universe because after all isn't that what was done in the comic books?? Crossovers and being in the same universe?

And I said it before DC right now only has two good superhero shows (Preacher is not a SH) Flash & Arrow. Supergirl is bad sorry...They are bringing over Flash and maybe Arrow to help the show but I don't think it will work.I even heard Tom Welling wanted to guest star as Clark but someone didn't want it I guess they were saying the Smallville "Universe" was different..Whatever how many "Universes" you have on TV DC??

As a whole Marvel does want to embrace this because even though people ***** & complain about AOS it is what it is a spy show with Superheroes thrown in so seeing guys like Absorbing Man,Lorelei (Elena Satine was great and hot!),Deathlok,Quake,Lash etc. seems like it fits in.

And my ONLY beef with the Arrow show (Stephen Amell kicks ass and is PERFECT for Oliver Queen) is the constant use of mostly Batman villians in the show like:

Ra's al Ghul
    Deathstroke
    League Of Assassins
    Lazarus Pit

And any other I might miss but that's it

Flash has most of his Rogue's Galleries on his show

Last thought when Deadpoool makes ALOT of money and gets excellent reviews you will see a trend of both Marvel and DC stick more CLOSELY to material that fans want to see (More so)

Heroic Warrior
    X-Men is kinda touchy with me they are good films but the biggest flaw with them is not being 100% faithful to the character design or they change characters and make them weird (Like the Sentinels having Mystiqe's power??? Deadpool getting his mouth shown shut,not having any continuity etc.) Funny thing is Deadpool is going to be huge and now Colossus is who he is supposed to be with the look,size and accent.Daniel Cudmore was good but he didn't want to come back because someone else would be doing his voice...Last time I checked Colossus was Russian not American....And DC broke the one law that has NEVER happened with Superman he never KILLS.He could have subdued Zod like he has done before but he killed him when he fought Doomsday that was the ONLY way to stop him after he went thru dozens of heroes trying to stop him and then we find out Doomsday didn't really die.

DC is trying to play catch up with Marvel when over the years BOTH companies have copied off of each other and taken jabs at each other for years so why are they trying to cram alot of info into one film so they can get a Justice League movie out ASAP

Listen I love and grew up with BOTH DC & Marvel and it's sad that one is doing so well and the other has a chance to but chooses not to for whatever reason and getting back to Justice League for the life of me why is Cyborg going to be a "founding" member?? Are they going "PC" again?

This is the lineup they SHOULD have:

1.Batman
    2.Superman
    3.Wonder Woman
    4.Aquaman
    5.Flash
    6.Green Lantern
    7.Martian Manhunter

Cyborg doesn't fit it should be MM in the JL and Marvel with the Avengers had all of the original members except Ant Man/Wasp but they showed up latter. DC should have had separate films to introduce the characters and get an origin story some are going to get one but others are not so go figure. And DC was really stupid on NOT tying the TV shows in with the movies.Arrow and Flash SHOULD be in the films as well as TV but they cast a new flash and probably will with Arrow as well.

See Marvel is smart by tying their TV shows,Netflix TV & movies in the same universe because after all isn't that what was done in the comic books?? Crossovers and being in the same universe?

And I said it before DC right now only has two good superhero shows (Preacher is not a SH) Flash & Arrow. Supergirl is bad sorry...They are bringing over Flash and maybe Arrow to help the show but I don't think it will work.I even heard Tom Welling wanted to guest star as Clark but someone didn't want it I guess they were saying the Smallville "Universe" was different..Whatever how many "Universes" you have on TV DC??

As a whole Marvel does want to embrace this because even though people ***** & complain about AOS it is what it is a spy show with Superheroes thrown in so seeing guys like Absorbing Man,Lorelei (Elena Satine was great and hot!),Deathlok,Quake,Lash etc. seems like it fits in.

And my ONLY beef with the Arrow show (Stephen Amell kicks ass and is PERFECT for Oliver Queen) is the constant use of mostly Batman villians in the show like:

Ra's al Ghul
    Deathstroke
    League Of Assassins
    Lazarus Pit

And any other I might miss but that's it

Flash has most of his Rogue's Galleries on his show

Last thought when Deadpoool makes ALOT of money and gets excellent reviews you will see a trend of both Marvel and DC stick more CLOSELY to material that fans want to see (More so)
    Preacher has always been a non-superhero character from Vertigo and i think they should do some more shows based on Vertigo comics for cable like an HBO Sandman show.

Yes Deadpool is a major success and a big time one for an r-rated actioner since T2 as it's a winner among fans of the character like myself. And do you think it's the best X-Men movie ever?

And do you think 90s comics weren't all that grim, dark and gritty?