Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NES Nostalgia: Underrated Games

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

NES Nostalgia: Underrated Games

The old school NES game Wizards & Warriors came up in "conversation" in the who got a nes mini thread, and that gave me the idea to start a thread for those NES games that too often go unsung.

To start this off, I'm a really big fan of Wizards & Warriors and its first sequel, Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II. However, I'm disappointed in Wizards & Warriors III - Kuros: Visions of Power. The game play is very good, but there are only three environments, and they're so vast it's hard to know exactly where you need to go. On top of that, it's virtually impossible to beat! At least it is for me; I had no idea how it ended until I discovered NES game play-throughs uploaded by players on YouTube (thank goodness), lol.

I remember being a kid in the late '80s when I was expecting my first Nintendo for Christmas, and my mom and I went to a bakery/video rental place (no I'm not kidding, lol), and I was taken with the Wizards & Warriors cover more than any other game there. Mom bought it for me as an early Christmas present for my coming Nintendo, and man oh man---I can still remember the novice hours I spend sitting on the foot of my parents' bed playing my Nintendo on their bedroom TV on their dresser, devoting many hours to Wizards & Warriors. And I could never, ever figure out what that dang "Horn' was for which you acquired from a treasure chest in the first lava cave. Thanks to the Internet, now, decades later, I finally know! lol...it's pretty cool too, so it's a shame that probably most gamers never figured it out; certainly never if you ended up acquiring the Wand of Wonder in its place, which I always did. I just thought you needed the wand since the horn didn't do anything at all in the lava caves. Who knew! If you don't know and are curious (or nostalgically desperate) to find out, simply Google "Wizards & Warriors horn" and then you will be able to sleep at night, lol.

And then another Christmas a couple of years later, I was gifted with Ironsword. More hours and hours of fantastically fun game play! Man I can remember spending hours of Christmas vacation in my green bathrobe sitting in there on snowy days playing Ironsword with the view of the snow-covered countryside outside...I loved it! And I really loved the idea of Kuros battling the four elementals, and then the grand challenge atop the summit of Icefire Mountain. Awesome! (I have a feeling most MOTU fans would enjoy or at least appreciate these games, lol)

I loved, loved W&W and Ironsword...so, at least for the first two games of this trilogy, kudos to Kuros!

map.jpg

map_.jpg

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; November 17, 2016 at 10:46am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I've never played them but I've heard a lot of goid things about the Wizards & Warriors games. One of my favourite games is Snake Rattle n Roll, definitely worth checking out if people haven't played it.

A boy and his Blob!!!!...
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

As a kid my cousin and I rented and stayed up the entire night playing Wizards and Warriors! It is my 6th favorite NES game of all time.

A few other underrated NES games were:

Rygar- (I remember using a "cheat" where you could get an enemy to reappear over and over in one spot to level up)

Strider- Oh man I thought this game was so cool. I rented it and had no idea what I was doing.

Ducktales- It's number 3 on my all time favorites. Fun to play, easy to enjoy, hidden stuff everywhere...I loved this game so much.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    I've never played them but I've heard a lot of goid things about the Wizards & Warriors games. One of my favourite games is Snake Rattle n Roll, definitely worth checking out if people haven't played it.
    Yeah, kind of reminds me of Marble Madness in a way too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    A boy and his Blob!!!!...
    lol, I rented that one a few times. I thought it was kinda fun, though I don't remember "beating" it, or getting very far, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    As a kid my cousin and I rented and stayed up the entire night playing Wizards and Warriors! It is my 6th favorite NES game of all time.

A few other underrated NES games were:

Rygar- (I remember using a "cheat" where you could get an enemy to reappear over and over in one spot to level up)

Strider- Oh man I thought this game was so cool. I rented it and had no idea what I was doing.

Ducktales- It's number 3 on my all time favorites. Fun to play, easy to enjoy, hidden stuff everywhere...I loved this game so much.
    Wow, your first two must be pretty underrated because I've never even heard of them, lol. DuckTales though, that was a big game! I wouldn't call it underrated as it seems most people who played NES games loved that one and consider it one of the best games there was. So I'm surprised to see you mention it in this thread.

And how fun that you and your cousin stayed up all night playing W&W---how about that changeling skeleton mini-boss at the end? He's a touch cookie to beat, still to this day! lol
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Rygar
    Metalstorm
    Journey to Silius
    Kickmaster
    Jackie Chan Kung Fu
    Guardian Legend
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Oo, I thought of another that I really enjoyed playing, but I could never get far enough to beat it---The Battle of Olympus! I was a major Greek mythology geek (still love it), so this was really fun for me to discover and play. Another one which I would have never seen the ending of had it not been for the wonder of game run-throughs on YouTube!

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; November 16, 2016 at 06:04pm.

Heroic Warrior
    FLying Warriors was my favorite underrated games. Nobody ever really heard of it, and only one place around me would rent it.

It was kind of a cross between super heroes and martial arts... with my first experience of 'location' hitting. It would flash face, body, or legs... and you would attack high, middle or low for the 'devastating' hit... and you would be able to defend high middle low too for what I nostalgicly remember as really epic fight scenes.. I still think that the game may have had a glitch somewhere... because I always got stuck at a certain area and never really made much progress. Still... Loved that game for the parts I could.

Is Strider considered underrated? That character keeps showing up in various other games, remakes, fighting games and such... that I thought it was pretty well loved.

Ducktales was definitely not an underrated game. I think it won multiple Game of the Year awards. Capcom was at the top of their game back in these 8-Bit days.

My list would include:

-Golgo 13 / the Mafat Conspiracy
    -Bucky O'Hare
    -Kid Dracula
    -(not quite underrated... but) Shadowgate
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Ducktales was definitely not an underrated game. I think it won multiple Game of the Year awards. Capcom was at the top of their game back in these 8-Bit days.
    I completely agree in the context you're talking about. I just meant that I have multiple friends who've never even heard of it. For most people that played it, I'll bet it's in their top 15 NES games. But there's a lot of people that never did and know nothing about it.

Also Chip n Dales Recue Rangers was a fun (although really easy to beat) game that a lot of people never saw/played.

I used to play wizards and warriors all the time. And it was the first time I uttered a swear,which my brothers threatened to tell mom, lol
    That being said. I think faxanadu,kinda underrated.

I completely agree in the context you're talking about. I just meant that I have multiple friends who've never even heard of it. For most people that played it, I'll bet it's in their top 15 NES games. But there's a lot of people that never did and know nothing about it.
    What? How do you have friends who have never heard of this game?? It was near the top on everybody's list. Are they some whipper-snappers born in the late '90s or 2000? lol...otherwise, much like Ornclown, it would astound me that anyone who grew up in the '80s would not have heard of this game.

Also Chip n Dales Recue Rangers was a fun (although really easy to beat) game that a lot of people never saw/played.
    That was definitely an underrated game (which kind of followed suit after the cartoons, as C&D never gained the status or longevity DT did), and yes, I remember it being really fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bcbsdrg View Post
    I used to play wizards and warriors all the time. And it was the first time I uttered a swear,which my brothers threatened to tell mom, lol.
    Haha, funny...do you remember what part made you "swear"? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    What? How do you have friends who have never heard of this game?? It was near the top on everybody's list. Are they some whipper-snappers born in the late '90s or 2000? lol...otherwise, much like Ornclown, it would astound me that anyone who grew up in the '80s would not have heard of this game.
    Lot's of friends that played games but weren't as into it as others. They remember Mario Bros. and "Zelda" but after that it was all about Tecmo Bowl or Bases Loaded. They didn't play enough to know about the game and definitely weren't the ones reading gaming magazines.

Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse one of my old time favorites, you can take different routes to Dracula and have several characters that you can take as companions and the Bosses are great, one of my old time favorites and its the reason why I wont buy Mini NES as that game is not included.

Skeletor, if there's a good bone in you, send help!
    There isn't! Never has been, never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lando452 View Post
    Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse one of my old time favorites, you can take different routes to Dracula and have several characters that you can take as companions and the Bosses are great, one of my old time favorites and its the reason why I wont buy Mini NES as that game is not included.
    Cool Lando452, I never played this one, but I did rent Castlevania II: Simon's Quest a few times and I really enjoyed playing it (and how delightfully creepy when sundown came and the town and forest citizens turned into zombies, eek!), but I could never get that far in it. But it sure was great "atmospheric play".

That was definitely an underrated game (which kind of followed suit after the cartoons, as C&D never gained the status or longevity DT did), and yes, I remember it being really fun!

Haha, funny...do you remember what part made you "swear"? lol
    It was the skeleton boss that threw bones. I spent like a half hour trying to beat him, lol

Quote Originally Posted by bcbsdrg View Post
    It was the skeleton boss that threw bones. I spent like a half hour trying to beat him, lol
    Aha! Yes, the one that kept growing bigger and bigger, I am not surprised; I referenced him in my original post. He was really, really hard, and still is! lol...the big bouncing skull and the vampire bats were bad enough, but that thing, yikes....

Aha! Yes, the one that kept growing bigger and bigger, I am not surprised; I referenced him in my original post. He was really, really hard, and still is! lol...the big bouncing skull and the vampire bats were bad enough, but that thing, yikes....
    Yeah I thought the last boss was easier, lol

Oo, I thought of another that I really enjoyed playing, but I could never get far enough to beat it---The Battle of Olympus! I was a major Greek mythology geek (still love it), so this was really fun for me to discover and play. Another one which I would have never seen the ending of had it not been for the wonder of game run-throughs on YouTube!
    I really enjoyed The Battle of Olympus - been ages since I thought of playing it though.

Another one I enjoyed was Taxan's Low G Man.

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    Obviously you guys aren't reading my blog (Okay, shameless self promotion over)

But IMHO every NES collector should own Shatterhand, Werewolf, and Vice: Project Doom.

https://commaeightcommaone.wordpress...erhand-review/

https://commaeightcommaone.wordpress...t-doom-review/

https://commaeightcommaone.wordpress...arrior-review/
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The most underrated NES game is obviously Super Mario Bros. 3. Duh!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    The most underrated NES game is obviously Super Mario Bros. 3. Duh!
    disagree, most underrated game is Super Mario Bros 2. a.k.a Fake Super Mario Bros 2.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    disagree, most underrated game is Super Mario Bros 2. a.k.a Fake Super Mario Bros 2.
    a.k.a. Doki Doki Panic, lol...but Fendi, Benedict Judas Hel was kidding, as here in America Super Mario Bros. 3 is usually the highest-rated NES game in America (it's usually between that and one of the Zelda games).

a.k.a. Doki Doki Panic, lol...but Fendi, Benedict Judas Hel was kidding, as here in America Super Mario Bros. 3 is usually the highest-rated NES game in America (it's usually between that and one of the Zelda games).
    turns out the post was half sarcastic, I didn't know Super Mario Bros 3 was the highest selling game in NES but I know a lot of folks hate Fake Number 2.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    I would argue Mega Man 2 is also in the running.

The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?