Thread: anyone else reading the new Marvel Star Wars series?

anyone else reading the new Marvel Star Wars series?

Aaron's script really captures the same spirit of the original trilogy even moreso than Timothy Zahn dare I say, and THIS is actually canon. The bickering between Leia and Han is spot on, and Vader is as badass as ever in his confrontation with the Rebels, however as much as I like it so far, this series along with Splinter of the Minds Eye and the Vader's Quest mini should really leave confrontations between Luke and Vader alone before episode 5. I must say it does work here however especially when Vader looks over his previous lightsaber Ben gave Luke. Really looking forward to where they go with this series. The dismantling of the Falcon by scavengers explains why it had so many problems in ESB as well

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I've been reading this too! Pretty much the only Marvel book I collect now.

Lots of really nice moments, like Vader stopping Chewie from sniping him or Vader battling Han and Leia in an At-At.

Han and Leia bickering is fun too. Captures the spirit of the movies.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Enjoying it as well.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack

Yes, I am. I’m really loving the way they’re treating Vader so far. At the end of issue two there’s a little scene with Vader and a Stormtrooper that is quite possibly one of the best SW moments ever.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    So what I gather now, is that Luke has now encountered Vader again before Empire? This is getting ridiculous.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    So what I gather now, is that Luke has now encountered Vader again before Empire? This is getting ridiculous.
    From what I gathered, Luke, Han and Leia had a whole bunch of adventures between Star Wars and Empire. In Empire, the Empire knew about Han and Luke specifically. They weren't just two nameless rebels helping Leia like they were in Star Wars.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Plus, in the opening crawl of TESB it is specifically stated that Vader is “obsessed” with finding Luke. That obsession had to start somewhere. The only thing I will say is that apparently this comic takes place a mere two weeks after ANH, so I think Vader and Luke have crossed paths too quickly.

The Empire knowing about Han, isn't a problem. Particularly since the Millennium Falcon is pretty unique, not to mention the fact that it did help destroy the Death Star. The galaxy is a huge place, and I just find it very hard to believe that Vader and Luke continued to run into each as often as they have.

Vader's obsession with Luke is clear. He knew Padme was pregnant and assumed the baby died with her. Suddenly, the Death Star is attacked by and subsequently destroyed by someone Vader sensed was strong in the Force. News comes to the Imperials later through spies, etc, that the hotshot pilot that destroyed the DS was named Skywalker. Now, if you were formerly known as Skywalker, don't you think you'd be running around looking for this kid? I will always be a believer that Cloud City is Luke and Vader's first encounter between IV and V.

I'm waiting for the TPB's but I read the online preview and my only real nitpick was why are Luke and Leia wearing the same disguise as Lando's Jabba's palace disguise? Is this a general uniform for Jabba's henchmen now? Because the only person wearing it in Jabba's palace in ROTJ is Lando.

I agree with people about Luke and Vader encountering each other to many times before TESB, especially them having lightsaber duels. It lessens the impact of them meeting each other in TESB IMO. This was something the vintage Marvel comics got right with Vader being obsessed with finding the pilot who destroyed the Death Star.
    I thought the same thing with Anakin and Dooku in-between EpII and III. When Anakin and Dooku meet on the Invisible Hand at the beginning of EpIII and Anakin says "My powers have doubled since we last met Count". It just looses all its impact if they are constantly having lightsaber duels through out The Clone Wars. Through out the whole Clone Wars series Anakin and Dooku should never have met in person IMO. But anyway I've taken this off topic a bit

We should rename this thread The Official Marvel Star Wars Comics Talkback Thread.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    The Empire knowing about Han, isn't a problem. Particularly since the Millennium Falcon is pretty unique, not to mention the fact that it did help destroy the Death Star. The galaxy is a huge place, and I just find it very hard to believe that Vader and Luke continued to run into each as often as they have.
    The Rebellion is trying to bring down the Empire and vice versa. These archenemies are going to run into each other as they are trying to destroy each other. Vader is trying to hunt down Leia, who is one of the leaders of the Rebels.

Vader's obsession with Luke is clear. He knew Padme was pregnant and assumed the baby died with her. Suddenly, the Death Star is attacked by and subsequently destroyed by someone Vader sensed was strong in the Force. News comes to the Imperials later through spies, etc, that the hotshot pilot that destroyed the DS was named Skywalker. Now, if you were formerly known as Skywalker, don't you think you'd be running around looking for this kid? I will always be a believer that Cloud City is Luke and Vader's first encounter between IV and V.
    Vader didn't know who that pilot was in Star Wars, but he knew who Luke was in Empire. This series tries to fill in the blanks between movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I'm waiting for the TPB's but I read the online preview and my only real nitpick was why are Luke and Leia wearing the same disguise as Lando's Jabba's palace disguise? Is this a general uniform for Jabba's henchmen now? Because the only person wearing it in Jabba's palace in ROTJ is Lando.

I agree with people about Luke and Vader encountering each other to many times before TESB, especially them having lightsaber duels. It lessens the impact of them meeting each other in TESB IMO. This was something the vintage Marvel comics got right with Vader being obsessed with finding the pilot who destroyed the Death Star.
    I thought the same thing with Anakin and Dooku in-between EpII and III. When Anakin and Dooku meet on the Invisible Hand at the beginning of EpII and Anakin says "My powers have doubled since we last met Count". It just looses all its impact if they are constantly having lightsaber duels through out The Clone Wars. Through out the whole Clone Wars series Anakin and Dooku should never have met in person IMO. But anyway I've taken this off topic a bit

We should rename this thread The Official Marvel Star Wars Comics Talkback Thread.
    Go for it.

I think this is how Disney can keep Star Wars adventures going besides JUST the narrative of the first three movies. Sorta like the Battle Continues... Star Wars is Transformers G1's first three episodes. Empire is Transformers the Movie. This comic series is all of those episodes in between.

The Palace Guard costumes are nostalgic to the audience, so that is why they were used. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Boushh...

The Blonde Teela Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Rebellion is trying to bring down the Empire and vice versa. These archenemies are going to run into each other as they are trying to destroy each other. Vader is trying to hunt down Leia, who is one of the leaders of the Rebels.

Vader didn't know who that pilot was in Star Wars, but he knew who Luke was in Empire. This series tries to fill in the blanks between movies.
    Like I said, in my post, I'm a firm believer that Luke and Vader never met in the interim. Vader learned Luke's name through the Imperial Spy Network. I also think that Han likely didn't encounter too many Imperials either, but was more likely motivated by the bounty on his head from Jabba as mentioned in Empire with the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell.

I was also going to mention the whole Dooku/Anakin issue, 13977, TCW made the Invisible Hand encounter just another boring battle between the two.

Heroic Warrior
    I know I'm in the absolute minority in this, but I wish they would make a Star Wars series that begins after A New Hope and just starts a whole new continuity, like the old Marvel books. Let the writer take us somewhere new. I thought that's what Dark Horse was going to do with their heavily promoted Brian Wood book in 2013, but it ended up tied to continuity as well.

We know what happens in the movies. Those were the important story beats. Filling out every detail in between has just never interested me.

I think it would be a lot more fun to put yourself in the mind of a kids who just saw Star Wars in 77 and think "Wow, what's gonna happen next?" and then just go with it.

That being said, Jason Aaron is a great writer, and from what I've seen this looks good-- I've just heard this story before.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Yes, I am. I’m really loving the way they’re treating Vader so far. At the end of issue two there’s a little scene with Vader and a Stormtrooper that is quite possibly one of the best SW moments ever.
    Agree did not like his characterization in Vader 1 that much though, he was that sniveling baby in the prequels again when he questioned if the Emperor was trying to hide something from him and was pretty much the Emperor's ***** in it