Thread: Mattel gets a new CEO - Margaret Georgiadas

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar

Mattel gets a new CEO - Margaret Georgiadas

Mattel has new leadership!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...D=ansmsnnews11

Mattel Inc (MAT.O), the largest U.S. toymaker, said on Tuesday that Google Inc's Americas president, Margaret Georgiadis, will become its chief executive, replacing Christopher Sinclair.
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...117-story.html

How will this effect things going forward for our favorite brands?

It definitely shows they have a strong interest in the technological side of things. She has come over from Google after working in a number of high profile positions at various companies. It's interesting to see them bring in someone from outside the company rather than promote from within. That seems to indicate they are interested in taking a fresh look at their company and the future of its brands.

It could mean a lot of things. MOTU is an awesome property, and can definitely find a home in the tech-toy world of today's market.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It definitely shows they have a strong interest in the technological side of things. She has come over from Google after working in a number of high profile positions at various companies. It's interesting to see them bring in someone from outside the company rather than promote from within. That seems to indicate they are interested in taking a fresh look at their company and the future of its brands.

It could mean a lot of things. MOTU is an awesome property, and can definitely find a home in the tech-toy world of today's market.
    Ya, more 3D printing possibilities come to mind. That could be the future of action figures.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Ya, more 3D printing possibilities come to mind. That could be the future of action figures.
    Another possibility would be to include online info or games related with the toys, since one of the things toy manufacturers have to contend against nowadays is the way kids are drawn towards online tablets, cellphones and everything that gets their attention in the technology world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Cross View Post
    Another possibility would be to include online info or games related with the toys, since one of the things toy manufacturers have to contend against nowadays is the way kids are drawn towards online tablets, cellphones and everything that gets their attention in the technology world.
    In theory, this is a good idea. But companies have been trying to tie toy product to smart devices/apps for years now without big results. Skylanders is one of the few success stories.

It's tough because there's a separation from the physical and the digital. Unless the toys are integral to the digital experience AND make it fun, they end up feeling like a cumbersome, pointless add-on. And the concept of "you have to buy this toy to add it to your game" has a difficult time competing in a world where there are so many free game apps.

I think that's why they are becoming more invested in the tech itself. Things like VR and 3D printers (AKA: make it yourself) are a direct connection to the product.

I hope MOTU will live on, but it may not live on the way us old fogies hope when it comes to toys and collectibles.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

I think that's why they are becoming more invested in the tech itself. Things like VR and 3D printers (AKA: make it yourself) are a direct connection to the product.
    The easy bake oven and Snoopy snow cone maker! I think these are great ideas, just wonder if kids would be the target audience.

I hope MOTU will live on, but it may not live on the way us old fogies hope when it comes to toys and collectibles.
    They at least know after these years with the Classics line that there's a market out there for MOTU related products. I feel sure the property won't die, Mattel just has to find a way to profit from it.

You mean, there's a chance that Toys in the future might be made available to the general public by downloading (buying online) the "tech specs" for the product itself, which has the "coordinates" to make a Toy printable in-house, as long as the costumer has a 3D printer? That could be revolutionary, alright.
    It could eliminate the intermediates and the manufacturing costs would be passed onto the costumer.
    Mattel, and other companies would only need to come up with the specs/project for the Toy/Action Figure/Vehicle/Playground Set in question...

Yeah, most certainly we might be the end of a long stream of "typical buyers". And still, "buying" nowadays is not what it was 20 years ago. I still remember watching for hours on end on the toy stores to the colorful toy boxes on toy stores and wondering how long would it be to be X-mas of Birthday again so we could ask and choose one from our parents; while just this week I had to order Battleground Teela from the Amazon online store, because there are absolutely NO MOTUC toys for sale anywhere in Portugal.

I wonder, is the line so out of stock that not even places like "Toys R' Us" have them anymore, or was this just a case of the Portuguese Mattel not bothering to sell the MOTUC line here? I mean, I can't remember ever having seen any MOTUC for sale anywhere in this past years, or even since 2007. But I sure remember seeing the 200X line many, many years ago in Toy stores. To my amazement, I might add. I had no idea the MOTU franchise would ever be revisited again even back then...

Well, this could be really exciting...or kinda meh. I've never been too invested in "tech toys," and neither is our daughter.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, and for the love of Grayskull, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if this will have an effect on comics and new lore creation for MOTU? If they redirect Rob David and Lloyd Goldfine away from MOTU at Mattel Playground Productions, that would suck MOTU being such a niche brand, I worry about them reallocating their time and resources elsewhere in house just as we saw with MOTUC. Super 7 and Dark Horse, however, are pumping out some great classic content but we need the new stuff to keep on flowing down the pipe.

I will say this, if they could figure out how to properly market the product, there would be a demand for Masters figures of some sort. I teach 5th grade and have my collection all around my classroom. The kids are always in awe of what they see and want to know more about MOTU.

I started an after school Comic Book Club this year that focuses on different properties. They have begged me to do a session on MOTU so we will do that after Spring Break.

Travel down the Rabbit Hole into my take on the Eternian Mythos:

Direct link to the Google Slides - https://goo.gl/0DJy5p

Link to my Thread in the Fan Fiction Forums - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-MOTU-Mythos)

Master of New Adventures!
    Hmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Cross View Post
    You mean, there's a chance that Toys in the future might be made available to the general public by downloading (buying online) the "tech specs" for the product itself, which has the "coordinates" to make a Toy printable in-house, as long as the costumer has a 3D printer? That could be revolutionary, alright.
    It could eliminate the intermediates and the manufacturing costs would be passed onto the costumer.
    Mattel, and other companies would only need to come up with the specs/project for the Toy/Action Figure/Vehicle/Playground Set in question...

Yeah, most certainly we might be the end of a long stream of "typical buyers". And still, "buying" nowadays is not what it was 20 years ago. I still remember watching for hours on end on the toy stores to the colorful toy boxes on toy stores and wondering how long would it be to be X-mas of Birthday again so we could ask and choose one from our parents; while just this week I had to order Battleground Teela from the Amazon online store, because there are absolutely NO MOTUC toys for sale anywhere in Portugal.

I wonder, is the line so out of stock that not even places like "Toys R' Us" have them anymore, or was this just a case of the Portuguese Mattel not bothering to sell the MOTUC line here? I mean, I can't remember ever having seen any MOTUC for sale anywhere in this past years, or even since 2007. But I sure remember seeing the 200X line many, many years ago in Toy stores. To my amazement, I might add. I had no idea the MOTU franchise would ever be revisited again even back then...
    MOTUC was never sold in stores...just Mattycollecter. The exception was the vs DC two packs. As for the beginning of your post though, that would be pretty sweet for consumers but would suck for toy stores everywhere!