Thread: Mr Peabody and Sherman SPOILERS...........

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

Mr Peabody and Sherman SPOILERS...........

Hey friends, I just thought I would start a thread on the movie. I have seen it last night, and very much enjoyed it. But upon getting home, I actually was bothered by a few things, and I thought I would talk about them here and see if you guys agree, or have opinions on them. please do not read any further if you are still going to see the movie and don't want to know what happens.

I was very much please with its humor and its references. They did a wonderful job basically telling a history class, with humor, and fun. My kids loved this, and can't wait to see it again, and if was fun explaining to them who people were, or who they already knew (they knew that Leonardo was an artist, because they know who the turtles are named after....) so that was alot of fun.

The adoptive/relational storyline was VERY well done. it cut to the core of the last few dumb people in the world that do not understand multicultural families, adoptive relationships, and the love they have. In a subtle way they gave you little ways and sprinkles of this, without being over preachy, but just showing the "natural" reactions that some people have...... I really liked this.

Main thing i did not like was and i wont ruin it by saying the full thing, but

There was ABSOLUTELY NOT ENOUGH conflict resolution of the little girl being a little jerk. sure at the end, "im a dog too" but it is watered down because EVERYONE else says it as well. the thing is, there is a great conflict of her being a bully to him in the beginning of the movie, and yet there is no reason not to have a nice moment for her, in private with him to admit her flaws, maybe let us know why she was a jerk, maybe she was raised to be, maybe she just "didnt understand" stuff like that. They just really really missed tying together the MAIN reason why this whole movie started, which was quickly spun into "bad lady who is taking sherman away from me" but the root is still very much there......

i will write more again, but would love to hear what people have to say about it.

Heroic Warrior
    She was a jerk to Sherman for two reasons:

1)She was jealous of his intelligence.

2)She likes him.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post

2)She likes him.
    It's a (somewhat stereotypical and mistaken) kid thing apparently.

2)She likes him.
    that might be. but they did not do a good enough job at explaining that what so ever, and at the end they didnt give us a great sense of remorse outside of the hug. realistically, it would have been a bit nicer for them to have a moment, where she explained those things, they spent enough time together for this to happen, it would have been a really powerful moment having her say, " i m sorry, i just, i was just jealous. you are so smart. I felt like you were smarter than me...." or "i dont know why i bullied you. it was wrong"...

Heroic Warrior
    I saw it yesterday and loved it. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

I don't know what your talking about, I didn't need explaining for anything in this movie. It was obvious to me she liked him and he started liking her even though she was mean to him. They are like only 7, even with hi IQ's they are still young and allowed to act like children. Sherman already forgave her before the end of the movie and Mr. Peabody understood what was going on, if anything the lady trying to take Sherman away was the one with the problem not a 7 year child being a typical bratty kid. The only thing I would have liked was a back story for the child services lady on why she didn't like Mr. Peabody.

I saw it yesterday and loved it. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

I don't know what your talking about, I didn't need explaining for anything in this movie. It was obvious to me she liked him and he started liking her even though she was mean to him. They are like only 7, even with hi IQ's they are still young and allowed to act like children. Sherman already forgave her before the end of the movie and Mr. Peabody understood what was going on, if anything the lady trying to take Sherman away was the one with the problem not a 7 year child being a typical bratty kid. The only thing I would have liked was a back story for the child services lady on why she didn't like Mr. Peabody.
    this is what i think is wrong with everything. you saying that this is typical. this is the norm. its not at all. and if it is anywhere it shouldnt be.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Haven't seen it yet, but I'm a little surprised at how well it is doing. It's a fairly obscure property, when you come down to it, so it just proves that you can get a hit movie out of properties that aren't household names as long as the movie itself is well done.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I wouldn't say it is doing well but it did make back it's budget so that isn't too bad.

I wouldn't say it is doing well but it did make back it's budget so that isn't too bad.
    Its made 148M worldwide in 10 days. Should break 100M US by the end of the month.

That's doing well.

i was very pleased with it. and its random because it "felt" familiar for some odd reason, then when checking at home, it was an old "skit" on rocky and bullwinkle, which is crazy because it was like the memory of it was in the deep dark back of my memory! I am glad i wasn't just making up the fact that it felt familiar.....

Did it have Peabody's "Shut up, you!" from his "Simpsons" cameo?

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I had no interest to begin with since movies like this are never up to the standards of the original anyway, often made by people who watched about half an episode of the original and think they "get it". If I want that, I'd watch JJ Abrams awful Star Trek films.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Gilskull View Post
    Did it have Peabody's "Shut up, you!" from his "Simpsons" cameo?

“Quiet, you!”
    ―Mister Peabody
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!