Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The flu shot...

Master of New Adventures!

The flu shot...

Just saw my doc today and she really pushed hard for me -- at my age -- to get the flu shot. When I told her I didn't want it she told me 36,000 people die annually from the flu. When I told her I work out three days a week with heavy iron, do 6,000 crunches on three other days, live an extremely healthful lifestyle and eat clean, she told me 36,000 people die annually from the flu. Sigh...

Over the years I've found the internet, especially when it comes to medical matters, can be useful but it can also be a nightmare of conflicting information and opinions and studies. One week we should all take a multi-vitamin, the next week it's "vitamins are useless" and sometimes that comes from the same respected sources. Cut out as much fat as you can is followed by strong advice to use milk and cottage cheese containing fat. True whole wheat or sprouted grain bread is great, and then it's nearly impossible to digest. No more than two drinks a day is followed up by a large UK study by a respected doctor -- honest! -- that says it's okay to drink up to a bottle of wine a day. Now there's a study I can get behind.

So I found the same deal on the internet when I previously did my flu shot research -- and I research medical stuff a lot. I know some of it is hysterical rantings by anyone who is able to post or create a scare website. But even major respected medical websites have conflicting statements, like the flu shot only protects against one strain and after-flu-season articles that say the last batch did little good. And there's still that one in a million chance something will go wrong...yet another reason why I choose not to have Lasik surgery.

My problem is complicated by the fact that fifty years ago I got a flu shot and ended up with a 105 degree fever. Now I know the vaccine is very different today, but that kind of stuff sticks with you.

Anyway, I finally caved, deferred to my doc and got the shot. So did Kim, grudgingly. Our three children are seeing our doc next week for the shots too.

What did you orgers do about the flu shot? Do you think it's beneficial or useless? Anyone gotten the shot and ended up with the flu a month later -- I understand it takes two weeks for it to be effective. Anyone have side effects?

One of the problems with being my age is that you remember when life was so simple. Fortunately, along with older age comes some age-related memory loss, so in a few years I probably won't remember that anymore. Sigh...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 16, 2017 at 03:07pm.

Hoo-boy does this thread have the potential to get moved into the Tar Swamp. Politics, Religion, Sex and Flu Shots... the four most volatile subjects of today.

I'd like to give you my honest opinion, but I've witnessed how people on both sides of the issue like to come down HARD on dissenting opinions. And I have better things to do than have a heated back-and-forth with people less interested in informed debate than in quashing (and often ad hominem insulting) points of view that don't jive with their own.

So my advice is: continue to research the topic. Read articles from both sides. And then decide for yourself and your family. The older I get, the more I learn what should be a painfully obvious lesson: an internet discussion forum is the WORST place to go for information on divisive topics. The time you save is better spent watching MOTU re-runs.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I get the flu shot every year, because even if the strain of flu one is inoculated against is different than the strain of one he is exposed to, the vaccine has a therapeutic effect, lessening the severity and duration of symptoms.

Agreed on forums not being a place to get advice. But I personally enjoy heated debates. It's why I like The Tar Swamp so much. Just ask my good and respected friend above, Adam_Prince of Eternia. Probably comes from living the isolated life of a writer.

Btw, I'm not sure how flu shots relate to sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Hoo-boy does this thread have the potential to get moved into the Tar Swamp. Politics, Religion, Sex and Flu Shots... the four most volatile subjects of today.

I'd like to give you my honest opinion, but I've witnessed how people on both sides of the issue like to come down HARD on dissenting opinions. And I have better things to do than have a heated back-and-forth with people less interested in informed debate than in quashing (and often ad hominem insulting) points of view that don't jive with their own.

So my advice is: continue to research the topic. Read articles from both sides. And then decide for yourself and your family. The older I get, the more I learn what should be a painfully obvious lesson: an internet discussion forum is the WORST place to go for information on divisive topics. The time you save is better spent watching MOTU re-runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    You don't want to get into a punctuation debate with me. I'll draw blood.

'Punctuation debate'? I'm not sure what that means, but what I am sure of is that after having written 1,200 episodes of television, eighteen films and having published seven novels I never lose in anything having to do with writing.

http://jackolesker.com

You don't want to get into a punctuation debate with me. I'll draw blood.

'Punctuation debate'? I'm not sure what that means, but what I am sure of is that after having written 1,200 episodes of television, eighteen films and having published seven novels I never lose in anything having to do with writing.
    I thought you were implying that I'd dropped a comma and that the last item on my list was "Sex and Flu Shots." (As opposed to "Sex" and "Flu Shots," two separate items.) Nevermind. Shutting up now.

That's very cool! I'll have to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I get the flu shot every year, because even if the strain of flu one is inoculated against is different than the strain of one he is exposed to, the vaccine has a therapeutic effect, lessening the severity and duration of symptoms.
    Jack this right here is the most valid argument for the flu shot I've ever heard. If anything you're only lowering your chance of flu by a percentage.

I know MULTIPLE people who've gotten a flu shot and then ended up with "the flu", some within days of getting the shot. I know many that get "the flu" even though they were vaccinated.

The things is there are multiple strains and the shot does not cover them all.

Between you and I, I also lift heavy, get my cardio, and keep myself in very decent shape for my age. But if there's one thing I know, it's that the older I get, the recovery time once I've finally gotten sick, has gotten longer and longer. Right now I ignore the shot. 10 years from now...I'll hope they've made an even better one

Your punctuation was absolutely correct. There should be no comma between the penultimate and last item in a series. In point of fact, placing a coma in that position is a common error and one that drives me nuts when I see it.

And there's certainly no need for you to shut up. I'm just having a bit of fun with you and I fully expect and hope for you to fire back.

I thought you were implying that I'd dropped a comma and that the last item on my list was "Sex and Flu Shots." (As opposed to "Sex" and "Flu Shots," two separate items.) Nevermind. Shutting up now.

That's very cool! I'll have to check it out!
    - - - Updated - - -

I definitely agree, Dice. As a father of three children I do a great deal of research on medical matters, but I've never seen that point made. Sincere thanks to Adam for sharing it.

As for getting the flu after getting the shot, my doc tells me it takes about two weeks to kick in, so people are still vulnerable even after they get the shot and, in most cases, that's why they get the flu -- i.e., not because of the shot.

As for recovery time, I think I'm blessed because my recovery time -- even at 68 -- is the same as it was thirty years ago; very, very short. And anyway, I've only been sick twice in the last five years. But then I'm a lunatic when it comes to my health. Being an older father will do that to you.

Congrats on your healthy lifestyle. Trust me when I tell you, my friend, that it will likely pay huge benefits later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Jack this right here is the most valid argument for the flu shot I've ever heard. If anything you're only lowering your chance of flu by a percentage.

I know MULTIPLE people who've gotten a flu shot and then ended up with "the flu", some within days of getting the shot. I know many that get "the flu" even though they were vaccinated.

The things is there are multiple strains and the shot does not cover them all.

Between you and I, I also lift heavy, get my cardio, and keep myself in very decent shape for my age. But if there's one thing I know, it's that the older I get, the recovery time once I've finally gotten sick, has gotten longer and longer. Right now I ignore the shot. 10 years from now...I'll hope they've made an even better one
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 16, 2017 at 04:55pm.

Congrats on your healthy lifestyle. Trust me when I tell you, my friend, that it will likely pay huge benefits later in life.
    I do it to make up for my love of unhealthy eating and over indulgence of bourbon

I would read the work of Linus Pauling and his work with vitamin c as an anti viral.
    Is not not licking toads

Actually, Bourbon is one of the healthiest alcohol drinks you can indulge in, plus it's pretty darned sophisticated:

http://suburbanmen.com/bust-out-your...0151008/137816

As for not eating healthy, it's good to start on healthy eating habits as young as possible, but you should enjoy yourself a bit at your age. "Another round of traditional wings with Asian Zing sauce and a side of ranch for this young man."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I do it to make up for my love of unhealthy eating and over indulgence of bourbon

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Never gotten a flu shot and never needed one. My secret? I don't interact with anyone and avoid physical contact at all costs.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Or in the infernal regions where you reside it's so hot that all viruses incinerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Never gotten a flu shot and never needed one. My secret? I don't interact with anyone and avoid physical contact at all costs.

Heroic Warrior
    I get a one day flu and the rest of the year I am 100 percent healthy .

Is that 36 000 deaths worldwide ? Thats a very low number . I wont lose sleep over that .
    Last edited by Lokus; February 16, 2017 at 06:19pm.

Not to sound ethnocentric, but that's U.S. Worldwide, between 250,000 and 500,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I get a one day flu and the rest of the year I am 100 percent healthy .

Is that 36 000 deaths worldwide ? Thats a very low number . I wont lose sleep over that .

Heroic Warrior
    I never got one before this year... but I started Substitute teaching and those places are petri dishes

I will say that in Michigan THIS year, the flu is insane with multiple schools simply shutting down because everyone is getting violently ill... so far I've been lucky. Whether that is the shot or not... that's debatable. I do NOT live a very healthy lifestyle.

Heroic Warrior
    Not to sound ethnocentric, but that's U.S. Worldwide, between 250,000 and 500,000.
    Dont sweat mon . If its any comfort , You will probably die from a car wreck . I bet you play with your death machine daily . Yes ?

Traumatic brain injury . Symptoms can be mild, moderate or severe, depending on the extent of damage to the brain and the area effected. Even when there is no visible sign of trauma (i.e. cuts or bruises), the brain may have been jostled inside the skull due to the force of impact causing bruising, bleeding and swelling of the brain.

Neck injuries, which can occur in more mild forms such as whiplash and neck strain, to more serious injuries like cervical dislocation and disc injury.

The damage to the spinal cord is caused when displaced bone fragments, disc material, or ligaments bruise or tear into spinal cord tissue, destroying axons, the part of our nerve cells that carry signals up and down the spinal cord between the brain and the rest of the body. Damage to the spinal cord often results in a loss of function or feeling.

The lower back is the most common site of back injuries, including sprains and strains, herniated discs and fractured vertebrae. These injuries can cause pain and limit your mobility Sometimes the symptoms of even the most serious back injuries can take some time to show up after an accident. Unfortunately, back injury can cause long lasting pain and discomfort.

Injuries to the face are common and can be caused by the steering wheel, dashboard, airbag, windshield, side window, car seats or shattered glass. These injuries range in severity from scrapes and bruises, to laceration and fractures, even serious disorders affecting the jaw and serious dental injuries.

The impact of a motor vehicle accident can cause internal injuries including, injuries to bowels, kidneys, the spleen, liver, lungs, heart or aorta. Fractured ribs are also quite common, causing puncture lungs and other internal organs. Internal injuries are life threatening

Motor vehicle accidents involving severe injuries and even loss of life, can result in drivers and passengers suffering short or long-term psychological injuries such as emotional distress, post traumatic stress disorder, persistent anxiety and depression.

Being diabetic I'm on the list of people who are recommended to get one, I have one most years, I think last year was the first time in a while I haven't had one. On one occasion on the evening I'd had the flu shot I came down with flu like symptons for about an hour, I can't say for certain that this was directly tied to me having the shot but it's the only time I've had some ill effect from having one.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Being diabetic I'm on the list of people who are recommended to get one, I have one most years, I think last year was the first time in a while I haven't had one. On one occasion on the evening I'd had the flu shot I came down with flu like symptons for about an hour, I can't say for certain that this was directly tied to me having the shot but it's the only time I've had some ill effect from having one.
    I know of people that have run fever and felt ill for a few hours after. Supposed to be a reaction to the shot from what I've read.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    The symptoms you experience when exposed to the flu virus are not caused by the virus itself, but by your immune system in response to the presence of the virus in your body.

The vaccine is simply a weakened or dead viral particle introduced into the body to trigger an immune response, so flu symptoms are normal.

You are not sick, it just means that the vaccine is working.

I usually get one every year. My work provides them free, so I figure why not? Don't recall if I have ever had bad symptoms from one.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

I haven't beaten anyone with a chair today. I would say my people skills are improving.

As a former U.S. Air Force Search and Rescue Combat Medic whose job was to go in on plane crashes and pick up downed pilots and flight crews, I don't sweat anything and I don't rattle, kid. Writing graphically about it in a post is one thing, but... Well, you get the gist.

Ironic you should talk about car wrecks, though, as I was T-boned in my Lexus SUV a couple of weeks ago by a driver at high speed who never touched his breaks because he was texting. I had a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Dont sweat mon . If its any comfort , You will probably die from a car wreck . I bet you play with your death machine daily . Yes ?

Traumatic brain injury . Symptoms can be mild, moderate or severe, depending on the extent of damage to the brain and the area effected. Even when there is no visible sign of trauma (i.e. cuts or bruises), the brain may have been jostled inside the skull due to the force of impact causing bruising, bleeding and swelling of the brain.

Neck injuries, which can occur in more mild forms such as whiplash and neck strain, to more serious injuries like cervical dislocation and disc injury.

The damage to the spinal cord is caused when displaced bone fragments, disc material, or ligaments bruise or tear into spinal cord tissue, destroying axons, the part of our nerve cells that carry signals up and down the spinal cord between the brain and the rest of the body. Damage to the spinal cord often results in a loss of function or feeling.

The lower back is the most common site of back injuries, including sprains and strains, herniated discs and fractured vertebrae. These injuries can cause pain and limit your mobility Sometimes the symptoms of even the most serious back injuries can take some time to show up after an accident. Unfortunately, back injury can cause long lasting pain and discomfort.

Injuries to the face are common and can be caused by the steering wheel, dashboard, airbag, windshield, side window, car seats or shattered glass. These injuries range in severity from scrapes and bruises, to laceration and fractures, even serious disorders affecting the jaw and serious dental injuries.

The impact of a motor vehicle accident can cause internal injuries including, injuries to bowels, kidneys, the spleen, liver, lungs, heart or aorta. Fractured ribs are also quite common, causing puncture lungs and other internal organs. Internal injuries are life threatening

Motor vehicle accidents involving severe injuries and even loss of life, can result in drivers and passengers suffering short or long-term psychological injuries such as emotional distress, post traumatic stress disorder, persistent anxiety and depression.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 17, 2017 at 09:09pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't get them. I don't get sick. Maybe when I become a seasoned veteran (my wording for old) maybe I should. maybe I will.

I've never did any research on flu shots.

All I know is the flue shot you get is for a specific strain. A strain they are guessing that will hit everyone. but you end up getting sick from another strain.

Don't over think things Mr. O. Don't get paralysis by analysis.

On a side note. did you ever get a Pneumonia shot?

If done right it can get you pity s*x. It's all about how you play it up.

I get the flu shot every year get one from the VA and in that time have never gotten the flu. I guess it works.