Thread: Life & UN-Collecting MOTUC / Star Wars Black Series

Life & UN-Collecting MOTUC / Star Wars Black Series

OK excuse this blatant and shameless attempt to vent, express and open up about my sudden epiphany and change within the MOTUniverse...

I've been having problems lately. Financial problems, along with the feeling that I'm under a marketing spell. An addiction broadening on the very edge of disaster. Recently I got enthralled (or should that be entrapped) in to the highly addictive and admittedly amazing world of Mattel's MOTUC and Hasbro's Star Wars Black Series. Both of which have indeed brought me great joy and financial frustration...$1200+ dollars later and I sit with a small modest collection of around 18 MOTUC figures and 8 Star Wars Black Series 6" figures (I'm counting the Jabba as a figure here)...sure, it's nice to look at cosmetically...the sculpts (more so on MOTUC) are faultless pieces of beauty...and yet I find myself unable to sleep with thoughts off unpaid bills and purchases I am unable to justify.

Bottom line I've looked around at what $800 dollars has bought me in the corporal world of 2014 and I'm left in a bitter taste in my mouth (let alone the empty bank account and wallet). I know that it's my own fault to some extent that this addiction...this obsession has took hold of me and yet I can't help but feel some hatred towards todays overblown market prices...Both the MOTUC and Star Wars 6" lines are admittedly wonderful things, but at least for ME, they have proven to be an unworthy expenditure.

I live on what some "modern persons" would call a low income (I'm not poor, but I ain't exactly sipping champaign in a limo with two broads either side of me lol) and my whole life has become about spending top dollar to obtain the latest MOTUC figure (and to a less extent) or/ Star Wars 6" Black Series figure. Damn, prices in the eighties were like under $8.00 AUD topps for a figure and here I am pouring out $80.00 without a second thought for a figural sculpted in plastic DRUG...for want of a better word...but yes certainly something akin to a hit of fix of some description...

The problem being I don't have the kind of money or budget to allow for this kind of spending. Perhaps part of it is wanting to be part of something bigger than you...a movement...something epic...but am I purchasing something better than what I've already had...that has been one of many questions coming to the surface during my many nights of restless sleep...

And the answer ladies and gentleman (for ME at least) has been this...nothing has, will or can EVER be better than the toys of my childhood...to this very day nothing can top the original Mattel MOTU line of the 80s...for all it's issues it still proves to be the definitive MOTU line. Warts and all I must confess that I LOVE the clunky wibbly, wobbly legs...I LOVE the action figures....I LOVE the head sculpts...I LOVE the feel of a figure in my hands and nothing Four Horse can do will EVER recapture that insanely cool sensation of absolution.

The biggest issue though is the fact that the original line was available in stores and didn't cost your whole future assets to obtain. It was grounded in reality and made for play. These guys would take endless thumping against brick, stone and concrete and still smile back for more, unbroken. Not as articulated, yes. But ultimately better...before life got hard...before money become the new God in the millennium...

I had almost the entire line of MOTU vintage figures only a few years back. It took me a year to source. Figures came from all around the world. Sometimes incomplete. And admittedly for 40+ figures it set me back almost $500 to get them to a highly desirable grade weeding through collections for the very best examples of figures I could find. But surely better than spending $700+ for 18 MOTUC....

I know that with my knowledge I could do so much better now obtaining a collection and headaches and frustrations aside that's exactly what I intend to do. I am entirely confident that MOC and w/ box examples aside I will be able to obtain 40+ near perfect complete VINTAGE figures, at least 5 VINTAGE vehicles, along with a VINTAGE Castle grayskull and snake mountain for a grand total of $600.00 shipped and delivered. It may take me another year to do this, but I won't be making the same mistake of selling the entire vintage collection for $120 shipped...spend less money on what could be considered as gold material and keep it, rather than re-spend additional money on modern pop-junk.

I understand now that the only one who is getting rich from my addictive splurges on the modern figures are the (already filthy rich) corporates and I'm ending up looking like a sucker...a chump...the FOOL. Why pay $45-80 for a vague nostalgic rush when I can pay $5-15 and go direct to the original source...the vintage products. I wish I could've seen this clearly a few months back. But on the plush side you can never exactly LOOSE money on MOTUC (except maybe on Hydron or Dekker :P ), so I'm putting the whole ruddy lot on ebay and the weight on my shoulders is lifted...the stress is gone.

The updated figures are arguably NOT superior...how could they be...so I'll have money to burn and have plenty of coin left for my other life commitments and personal needs.

In regards to Star Wars Black Series...don't miss 'em at all....ebay they go! Oh yes, Jabba aside the sculpts are ridiculously INaccurate. WHY would I pay $30-45 for a Black Series figure shipped when I can buy the entire Phantom Menace or Power of the Force lines for $200.00 in one hit!

I'll have steak just like everyone else, only difference is I ain't paying for the ridiculous prices attached to the gourmet restaurants...nope...at home on the slow cooker for me! lol

It's liberation for me...and you know what the dessert is for me? Well I can afford 80% of the New Adventures of He-Man line MOC New, old vintage with 3 figures for the price of what ONE MOTUC figure would cost me. I'm not saying MOTUC, Star Wars Black Series, Mattel, Hasbro or anyone here is wrong...but what I'm doing now is right for me and honestly, I feel liberated now...I couldn't be happier!

Relief! PHEW!

Cheers! LOL Over and out!

P.S. Further revelation: Something is only worth as much as somebody wants to pay so this whole comic con limited numbered edition junk doesn't mean ANYTHING in the long term. It's all a con Buy something if you can AFFORD it and if you LIKE it...not because the label or marketing says it's rare or for the (and I quote) "Adult Collector"..!
    Last edited by PowerofGygor; October 3, 2014 at 08:21am.
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

Very true. Glad you feel liberated! I think thats it's silly for anyone to go severely in debt buying into this line if they can't afford it. Same with Star Wars. Life is all about priorities. Good luck!

Thanks man I'll definitely still be around on the forums
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!