Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Have you tried NETFLIX?"

"Have you tried NETFLIX?"

Quite a few times I have had people wonder why I watch normal TV instead of subscribing to this wonderful new thing called "Netflix" with all the great tv shows and movies that you can stream whenever you want and not have to wait for them to appear on TV.

Well yesterday I decided to take a look at it and saw there was a free months trial and as long as I cancelled before the month was up I would never have to pay a single penny. I also found a plug-in for Chrome which would allow me to view both the UK and USA versions of Netflix.

Well one day later and what do I think?

I am cancelling.

The TV shows they have on offer are not ones that I have any real interest in and the movie selection is mediocre at best. In fact the only good ones they have on offer or the ones that I already own on Blu-ray and DVD.

The only thing it really has going for it are a few Netflix exclusives such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones but even they do not justify paying a subscription to this thing.

So for anyone who thinks I should just use Netflix instead of watching regular TV...I have tried it and quite frankly Netflix is AWFUL
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    To each their own. I certainly wouldn't pay for something I didn't like.

I however am quite a fan. They are really really good as far as TV shows go. They have nearly everthing old and new that I watch now days. At least the ones on dvd. That's the only downside of Netflix. they don't have 'current' streaming episodes... but that's not how they were built. It was always a case of 'rent a dvd'... to eventually watch that dvd online.

I don't find it to be 'perfect' or self-sustaining... but for $7 a month it goes great with the DVD collection I already have.

The other one I would recommend would be Hulu. I just started that in October, and it DOES get the weekly shows I watch (except CBS... I have to watch from cbs' site to watch those...) Grand total I pay for TV is $16 with the both of them. Compared to the $100 my parents pay, there really isn't any bonus at all to watching 'regular' tv.

Unless your a sports fan. Or enjoy the news... I am NOT, so I haven't had to worry about missing a big game or anything.

I love Netflix and Hulu. They have replaced my cable for the past 4 years now and I haven't looked back. Saves me a ton of money and I haven't missed a thing.

I don't have DirecTV service, because everyone I know has to pay $140 or so a month to get the decent channel packages, and the cheap basic plan is junk. Plus it's no better than watching basic TV, watching shows when they are broadcast with lots of commercials. I rarely buy DVDs because nothing interests me enough to pay $20, so it's either the occasional bargain bin or yard sale purchase. Netflix costs me $9 a month for the HD service through Blu-Ray, and a used Blu-Ray player these days is about $30 on eBay. I don't watch via browser- and since Netflix requires the highly-vulnerable Silverlight plugin to work, that's just as well. It gives me access to a decent number of shows for the cost of what could be 1 DVD a month.

It's not great, and they do lose shows left and right for the ones they add. I hated losing Quincy ME and McMillan & Wife a month after I got service. Galaxy Quest was on there, gone now. The Marvel stuff doesn't interest me as I lost interest in that company years ago, and they aren't doing anything to regain that interest.

I had Hulu. Hulu has a lot more stuff, including things Netflix used to have but lost. Hulu seems willing to pay more for rights, I guess. Unfortunately they have ads. Some shows it's tolerable, but with all anime it can get bad, and MST3K is so ad-heavy it's like I'm watching it on the Sci-Fi Channel all over again. They do have an ad-free service for $12 a month now, but I found it insulting to pay more for what Netflix offers for $9 so I abandoned Hulu. Incidentally, Netflix has little anime to the point it's barely there. Hulu also has an odd selection of stuff that can't be watched through Blu-Ray, only on their site. But then I find some of those licensors host the same videos on Youtube legally as well, so watching on Hulu's site with ads seems dumb.

Both suffer terribly from the habit of dropping anything if a DVD release is coming out, but that's the nature of the game with licenses.

I Dvr, watch regulr T.V but order dvds from Netflix.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Is He Man on any of these things? I'm talking NA and 200X

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I don't have DirecTV service, because everyone I know has to pay $140 or so a month to get the decent channel packages, and the cheap basic plan is junk. Plus it's no better than watching basic TV, watching shows when they are broadcast with lots of commercials. I rarely buy DVDs because nothing interests me enough to pay $20, so it's either the occasional bargain bin or yard sale purchase. Netflix costs me $9 a month for the HD service through Blu-Ray, and a used Blu-Ray player these days is about $30 on eBay. I don't watch via browser- and since Netflix requires the highly-vulnerable Silverlight plugin to work, that's just as well. It gives me access to a decent number of shows for the cost of what could be 1 DVD a month.

It's not great, and they do lose shows left and right for the ones they add. I hated losing Quincy ME and McMillan & Wife a month after I got service. Galaxy Quest was on there, gone now. The Marvel stuff doesn't interest me as I lost interest in that company years ago, and they aren't doing anything to regain that interest.

I had Hulu. Hulu has a lot more stuff, including things Netflix used to have but lost. Hulu seems willing to pay more for rights, I guess. Unfortunately they have ads. Some shows it's tolerable, but with all anime it can get bad, and MST3K is so ad-heavy it's like I'm watching it on the Sci-Fi Channel all over again. They do have an ad-free service for $12 a month now, but I found it insulting to pay more for what Netflix offers for $9 so I abandoned Hulu. Incidentally, Netflix has little anime to the point it's barely there. Hulu also has an odd selection of stuff that can't be watched through Blu-Ray, only on their site. But then I find some of those licensors host the same videos on Youtube legally as well, so watching on Hulu's site with ads seems dumb.

Both suffer terribly from the habit of dropping anything if a DVD release is coming out, but that's the nature of the game with licenses.
    Galaxy Quest is still there....I watched it tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 0rko View Post
    NA and 200x are not on there at the moment.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rko View Post
    They were on at one time I'd love to see them all back and She-Ra as well

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    They were on at one time I'd love to see them all back and She-Ra as well
    I wonder if we can put in a request!

My cousin had it and I stayed with him for a week. It was a struggle to find stuff to watch. The movie choices were bad and at the time I didn't like the shows. So I sympathize.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

The really annoying thing about these streaming services is that they are starting to produce their own content which does indeed look good, for example the aforementioned Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix as well the intriguing shows Mr Robot and The Man in the High Castle on Amazon.

But as I said before a couple of shows does not justify a subscription especially when there are...other ways of watching them

I have also noticed that whenever I found something that was worth a watch it would say "this show is not available for streaming" or some such rot. Well why do they have it in their list of shows if you can't actually watch it?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    The really annoying thing about these streaming services is that they are starting to produce their own content which does indeed look good, for example the aforementioned Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix as well the intriguing shows Mr Robot and The Man in the High Castle on Amazon.

But as I said before a couple of shows does not justify a subscription especially when there are...other ways of watching them

I have also noticed that whenever I found something that was worth a watch it would say "this show is not available for streaming" or some such rot. Well why do they have it in their list of shows if you can't actually watch it?
    They do the not available for streaming thing because they have a DVD service as well. Those shows are available through that program. Man in the High Castle is an excellent show btw. (I get Amazon prime as well because we do alot of shopping and the free shipping was more than worth it to us)

Well why don't they have two different lists instead of shoving them all in together?

Well why don't they have two different lists instead of shoving them all in together?
    Marketing.....there are different price points and they need to sell the dvd subscription somehow. They hope to entice you into upgrading.

I've never tried it. I've debated about getting it due to the Marvel shows. If they ever have any new exclusive Star Wars or MOTU shows, that would probably be enough to get me to get it. Although I don't watch a ton of DirecTV, I have it for the sports, wrestling, and cartoons. I watch enough football and basketball that it would be tough for me to be without it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've never tried it. I've debated about getting it due to the Marvel shows. If they ever have any new exclusive Star Wars or MOTU shows, that would probably be enough to get me to get it. Although I don't watch a ton of DirecTV, I have it for the sports, wrestling, and cartoons. I watch enough football and basketball that it would be tough for me to be without it.
    They have season 6 of Clone Wars... I heard that was exclusive, not sure if that was accurate or not. Wasn't a fan of clone wars.

\
    Where do you see combined lists? On my systems, I never run into that message unless i'm doing a specific focused search. Like when Bates Motel came out and I was curious to see 'Psycho'... then the search said 'dvd only' But I've never been on the streaming site and had shows advertised that weren't streamable...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Where do you see combined lists? On my systems, I never run into that message unless i'm doing a specific focused search. Like when Bates Motel came out and I was curious to see 'Psycho'... then the search said 'dvd only' But I've never been on the streaming site and had shows advertised that weren't streamable...
    Just browsing through what is on Netflix and a few times I have pressed the play button it says it is not available for streaming. I should add this only happens when I am browsing the US version of the site as the UK Netflix doesn't do DVD so all they have is what you can stream. However US version has a larger selection of things so I have found myself looking on there more which is where this happens.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I love it. I immediately gathered all the shows and movies I like. Clone Wars, Battlestar Galactica. Star Trek the Next Generation. Walking Dead. Spartacus. Transformers Prime. Naruto.

I get to watch shows that I DON'T need to buy expensive DVD sets for. I also check out movies and documentaries--I have a choice what I'm watching. Some movies are great little finds, while others are Syfy-Channel duds.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I use showbox, it's a great selection of new movies and tv shows and the best part it's free.
    The New King of Eternia
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I love it. I immediately gathered all the shows and movies I like. Star Trek the Next Generation.
    He said Star Trek the Next Generation

Im just kidding BTW, I'm a fan of it as well

Heroic Warrior
    Just browsing through what is on Netflix and a few times I have pressed the play button it says it is not available for streaming. I should add this only happens when I am browsing the US version of the site as the UK Netflix doesn't do DVD so all they have is what you can stream. However US version has a larger selection of things so I have found myself looking on there more which is where this happens.
    Huh....

Must be part of that plug in or whatever or part of the 30 day trial or something...

I'm in the US and have never had that problem. I watch it on the computer, and streaming through the Smart TV. I used to have both stream and dvd... but cut back to just stream, and I never see anything that they show, but don't have...

Court Magician
    We have it, we don't get any premium movie channels anymore. This takes place of what we used those for, watching movies we weren't sure about. Also nice to watch some we never got around to watching for whatever reason.

the exclusive shows are nice to add to that, since we typically don't wait for shows to come to disk. But on occasion we have watched those also.

Widget
    I like Netflix because I no longer have to get off the couch to watch one of my DVDs.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I love it. I immediately gathered all the shows and movies I like. Clone Wars, Battlestar Galactica. Star Trek the Next Generation. Walking Dead. Spartacus. Transformers Prime. Naruto.

I get to watch shows that I DON'T need to buy expensive DVD sets for. I also check out movies and documentaries--I have a choice what I'm watching. Some movies are great little finds, while others are Syfy-Channel duds.
    This.

I signed up for Breaking Bad and realized that Netflix had so many of the shows that I wanted to watch - on my own terms and at the times I choose. Shortly thereafter, Daredevil premiered and I haven't looked back.

Sadly, I'm a huge Football, Soccer, and Hockey fan... so I have to keep my cable as well.

P.S. I have been hooked on How to Make a Murderer (for some reason, lol) I can't watch just one episode at a time!
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They have season 6 of Clone Wars... I heard that was exclusive, not sure if that was accurate or not. Wasn't a fan of clone wars.
    Those "lost episodes" were an exclusive, but I have the blu-ray set, so I didn't miss out on it.