Thread: Snake mountain toy, what's the extra hole for?

Snake mountain toy, what's the extra hole for?

I used to wonder that too! I imagine that there was probably another feature for the playset that got dropped somewhere in production. It's very random.

My Snakemountain doesn't have it...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Neither does mine. The other hole where a figure is supposed to go out or in is too small. This has bothered me for a long time. Otherwise I love this set.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Mine has it too but I have no clue what its use could be.
    This is weird, a hole with no purpose? It has to be for something.

It's a hiding place for Skeletor's extra keys.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

Mine has it too. Strange. I never noticed that.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar
    weird! i love the fact that we still find new things on motu toys 20 years old and older. its great.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I always thought it was a cave/entrance.

Heroic Warrior
    The big hole is the 'secret cavern entrance', used to good effect in my little comic strip here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=kyber+crystal

Meanwhile, that little hole, look around the back of it, inside the mountain. You'll find a small hook moulded into the wall. That is where the bottom of the capture net hooks/attaches to! The small hole on the front is to allow the hook behind to be moulded properly during the manufacturing process.

I dunno if anybody else has noticed this, but there are faces moulded into the walls of Snake Mountain everywhere, inside and outside. Look carefully.

Also, I'm quite bummed that a while back I started a 'Classic Snake Mountain playset appreciation' thread and nobody cared.

The '"secret cavern entrance" big hole is also featured on the back of Hurricane Hordak's card.

Another little known fact about Snake Mountain : there is one planned feature for the playset that was scrapped before production, probably due to high costs at the time : light up eyes for the big monster face.
    Early Mattel catalogs show Snake Mountain with red LEDs in the eyes, that were probably activated by the same battery system used for for the microphone.
    That also explain why the monster's eyes are sculpted, which is pretty odd for a part that was to be covered with stickers. The eyes stickers were just there to replace the lighting system.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TIRPITZ View Post
    Another little known fact about Snake Mountain : there is one planned feature for the playset that was scrapped before production, probably due to high costs at the time : light up eyes for the big monster face.
    Early Mattel catalogs show Snake Mountain with red LEDs in the eyes, that were probably activated by the same battery system used for for the microphone.
    That also explain why the monster's eyes are sculpted, which is pretty odd for a part that was to be covered with stickers. The eyes stickers were just there to replace the lighting system.
    Wow.

That's interesting to know. considering that the speaker/battery box was right there behind the face, and I always thought the eye stickers were a bit odd.

Another thing, anybody failed to notice that the monster face has two downturned horns at the temples? the left horn has the shackle/chain anchored to it, so it is not immediately apparent that it is a scuplted horn. I never noticed this as a kid.

There's a lot of cool little details sculpted into the Snake Mountain playset, which made it my favorite playset (next to Point Dread). I like that it's like this demonic haunted fortress. I still wish the toy's design was used as the basis (or just incorporated somehow) for the cartoon. I always thought that if the Four Horsemen had a shot at designing a Snake Mountain playset to go along with their action figures, that they would have found a way to sneak in a lot of the things that made the classic what it was

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by dinorider View Post
    The big hole is the 'secret cavern entrance', used to good effect in my little comic strip here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=kyber+crystal
    Dude I remember and loved your comic strips. When will you make more huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Dude I remember and loved your comic strips. When will you make more huh?
    yea, those were action packed. i loved the photography and lighting effects. that imo is highly worth to have on the org.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I never noticed the small hole, I don't think mine has one.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    There's a lot of cool little details sculpted into the Snake Mountain playset, which made it my favorite playset (next to Point Dread). I like that it's like this demonic haunted fortress.
    You know where I think I saw a vintage Snake Mountain tribute?

Peter Jackson's Kong.

When they first apporach Skull Island, there were lots of shots of the rocks and cliffs along the coast. In almost all the shots, the rocks had some demonic looking facial feature on them. Exactly like Snake Mountain.

Heroic Warrior
    I haven't dug it out to look, but through the hole on the other side was a hook no? and that hook was used to hold the center of the net down so when figures dropped in they didn't fall between the castle and the net.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

I've always theorized that the "secret entrance" originally was planned to be a hole for a hand puppet, which ultimately made its way into the Fright Zone playset one year later. Maybe the small hole with hook was supposed to hold the puppet or something related to it?

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nExtrahole.jpg
    that is the hole that is made on the inside to hold the net where the trap door drops the figures