Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Secrets Finally Revealed!

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Personally, I don't like the idea for a few reasons:

1) I know the comic wanted to be more PG-13 with MOTU, but I have never liked that take. I don't want blood and guts with my MOTU. The mental image of Faker getting his guts blown out just didn't appeal to me.

2) Faker has always been a Robot. I know it was a new line, but the 4H worked hard to keep classic details with a modern twist. Making Faker not a robot and mostly a human with cyborg parts just seems too much of a deviation for me.

3) Personally, I liked not knowing what happened to MAA. It gave it more of a Hitchcock feel to it. Give just a few details and let the reader's imagination fill in the gaps. I honestly thought it was planned that way..

On the plus side, I had somehow missed discovering Unemployed Skeletor, so this was my first introuduction. He is frickin' hillarious and I am now trying to catch up on his old blogs. I wish US could make a DVD for sale, but Mattel would probably put the kibosh on that.

Dr. Ω

1) I know the comic wanted to be more PG-13 with MOTU, but I have never liked that take. I don't want blood and guts with my MOTU. The mental image of Faker getting his guts blown out just didn't appeal to me.
    Personally, I loved the harder edge of both the comic and 2002 toon. Honestly if the new toon & comic were as syrupy sweet as the Filmation toon, I wouldn't have paid attention to the relaunch.
    2) Faker has always been a Robot. I know it was a new line, but the 4H worked hard to keep classic details with a modern twist. Making Faker not a robot and mostly a human with cyborg parts just seems too much of a deviation for me.
    I was never a fan of the robot replica idea. I was hoping he would be a clone in the new series. I envisioned him as a clone infused with DNA from Skeletor and He-Man. Think "Thailog" from Gargoyles. Anyway, the dimensional counterpart works for me as well.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    I loved the comic and loved this bit of information. I am always VERY excited then equally bummed out after we get these bits of information (but please don't stop giving us them) - HOW could Mattel have....nevermind, no point. Mattel is Mattel...

I actually did dream once that Val, Emiliano and The Four Horsemen became the owners of the brand...one can dream....

Well, I like this origin, Val and Emiliano, I am so sorry you weren't allowed to publish it. I must say that Faker getting acid on his chest is not more graphic than Keldor getting acid on his face! And I think this solves a few major problems with Faker. For one thing, it makes him into a credible threat. A mere robot or android is not going to be stronger than He-Man. Yet it also gives Faker a credible weakness that will keep him from being able to beat He-Man. It also explains why he'd be any use at all to Skeletor. I mean what good is it to keep around this robot who can't beat He-Man in a fight and can't pass as a double for him either? Now he'd be arguably the most powerful evil warrior in Skeletor's arsenol, and a good study guide for understanding He-Man (even the differences would tell Skeletor about his enemy). And of course, it elevates Faker into a more intelligent villain--something that I think most of us fans wanted for all the evil warriors and didn't get. I don't know for sure what the Faker plans would have been from Mattel, but like others I think they were going to use that robot from "The Courage of Adam." I'll bet they were not going to deal with the problems that this origin solves. In fact I'll bet Mattel's plans would have ultimately had Faker playing the role of generic thug as he did in the original mini comic "The Search for Keldor."

One thing this origin has me wondering is what does this mean regarding MVC's plans for blue people? Is blue skin closely associated with being evil after all since it's the main difference between evil and good He-Man and Keldor on these different worlds? Are the blue people a race or is the skin color the result of some kind of magic or unnatural event? Or is it just the funky stuff that goes one with different dimensions like Spock's beard?

Also, have you considered looking into this Anti-Eternia thing as an alternative concept to allow Mattel to keep their precious unused Faker thing and let you continue the story you were telling or is it just not worth it without Faker?

Oh and Unemployed Skeletor is too fun, I love his laugh!
    Last edited by gbagok; January 1, 2007 at 08:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Well, I like this origin, Val and Emiliano, I am so sorry you weren't allowed to publish it. I must say that Faker getting acid on his chest is not more graphic than Keldor getting acid on his face! And I think this solves a few major problems with Faker. For one thing, it makes him into a credible threat. A mere robot or android is not going to be stronger than He-Man. Yet it also gives Faker a credible weakness that will keep him from being able to beat He-Man. It also explains why he'd be any use at all to Skeletor. I mean what good is it to keep around this robot who can't beat He-Man in a fight and can't pass as a double for him either? Now he'd be arguably the most powerful evil warrior in Skeletor's arsenol, and a good study guide for understanding He-Man (even the differences would tell Skeletor about his enemy). And of course, it elevates Faker into a more intelligent villain--something that I think most of us fans wanted for all the evil warriors and didn't get. I don't know for sure what the Faker plans would have been from Mattel, but like others I think they were going to use that robot from "The Courage of Adam." I'll bet they were not going to deal with the problems that this origin solves. In fact I'll bet Mattel's plans would have ultimately had Faker playing the role of generic thug as he did in the original mini comic "The Search for Keldor."

One thing this origin has me wondering is what does this mean regarding MVC's plans for blue people? Is blue skin closely associated with being evil after all since it's the main difference between evil and good He-Man and Keldor on these different worlds? Are the blue people a race or is the skin color the result of some kind of magic or unnatural event? Or is it just the funky stuff that goes one with different dimensions like Spock's beard?

Also, have you considered looking into this Anti-Eternia thing as an alternative concept to allow Mattel to keep their precious unused Faker thing and let you continue the story you were telling or is it just not worth it without Faker?

Oh and Unemployed Skeletor is too fun, I love his laugh!
    I agree with everything you said about Faker being a better character this way. I too disliked the robot Faker. I'm currently trying to make my own cannon by piecing classic and current MOTU mythos into one (and filling the blanks), but I would have gone with the clone idea. Basically Skeletor uses He-Man's blood/DNA and his own powerful magic to create an imperfect clone. But I like this idea better since he has a link to Adam and Grayskull. Now I will re-think my clone idea to substitute this one.

About the blue skin, everything on Anti-Eternia has opposite colours (at least the characters). Since He-Man is the opposite colour (blue), Keldor is the opposite colour too (white). If you look at the other characters on the cover of that comic, you can see how their colours have changed too.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Court Magician
    i'm really glad to hear this faker revelation. i wonder what effect (if any) faker's sword would have in eternia?

Quote Originally Posted by jayceej View Post
    i'm really glad to hear this faker revelation. i wonder what effect (if any) faker's sword would have in eternia?
    ...and I'm wondering what effect Faker knowing He-Man's secret identity would have.

Quote Originally Posted by jayceej View Post

That's a very good question. I would guess that even if he could change back into Adam, he wouldn't because he would probably die. He's basically a cyborg, being human with mechanical parts (MAA says something to the effect of "you mechanical freak" when he gets back in vol. 2), so I'm thinking the pain might be too much for Adam to handle.

But would he have access to the power of Grayskull from his dimension? Well, I guess the easy answer would be no since it would eliminate many complications. It would also be closest to the original concept in the classic cannon. I'd prefer maybe just some slight power (as if he is almost out of range, but can still pick up a signal . . . I'm staring at my wireless router right now ).

Although, maybe in the Anti-Eternia the MAA there fixed the Power Sword because it was broken (ie. the original concept by the 4H behind He-Man's sword), so it might not be of much use in regular Eternia. At least it wouldn't be as powerful as regular He-Man's sword. I think I may be on to something here. Could this be what Val/Emiliano were thinking?

Good question though. Curious to hear what other people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    ...and I'm wondering what effect Faker knowing He-Man's secret identity would have.
    I'm thinking he would use it to his own advantage, but wouldn't tell Skeletor or anybody else. He-Man might also try to talk some sense into Faker and use that connection in his argument. But ultimately I think it will be like Venom/Spider-Man.
    Last edited by PanMan; January 2, 2007 at 02:59am.

Well this was certainly unexpected!! I thought the secrets of the comic were going to remain locked away a lot longer. I love how this storyline gives Faker more of a personality rather than being a mindless robot ala the mini comics. Whether he would have been a force to be reckoned with like Hiss or Hordak or forced into subservience like Scare Glow would have made for interesting storytelling too I reckon...

I wish we could see some artwork for this version of Faker...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    As far as I know and remember, the writers of the cartoon series already mentioned, that indeed it was planned to use the robot from Episode 4 (Courage of Adam) as Faker.
    The idea behind Faker, looking exactly like He-Man, isnīt to BE exactly like He-Man, but to act as He-Man, deceiving his friends, setting up traps to get rid of the Masters one after another.
    Personally, I like intelligent action and storytelling more than stupid battle-action. Thatīs just too boring, always seeing pages and pages of fighting. I could read Dragon Ball mangas, if I was into comicfights. There are whole books with just fighting and maybe five to ten words. That just doesnīt suit me.

Furthermore, blood and violence has got nothing to do with MOTU. Never ever He-Man raised his Sword against an opponent in an attempt to hurt or even kill him. Thatīs just against his codex of honour.
    Itīs okay if some wounds are the result of a heavy battle, but that one page in "Shard of Darkness", where Tri-Klops sword stitches He-Mans leg was... agh! Donīt even want to remember that.
    Well, thatīs jsut my point of view, and honestly, reading postings from Dr. Omega for example, I am glad that I am not allone with this oppinion.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

Quote Originally Posted by flitzi View Post
    Personally, I like intelligent action and storytelling more than stupid battle-action. Thatīs just too boring, always seeing pages and pages of fighting.
    Well, good thing the new MOTU comic wasn't nor would have ever been like that.
    You can certainly disagree, though. We're all entitled to our individual opinions.

The idea behind Faker, looking exactly like He-Man, isnīt to BE exactly like He-Man, but to act as He-Man, deceiving his friends, setting up traps to get rid of the Masters one after another.
    Well, sort of.
    You're basing that on the classic toy concept alone.
    And you're not allowing yourself to go beyond the classic canons.
    This isn't the 1980s He-Man, this is the 200x He-Man. The stories do not have to be indentical. Nor should they be if anyone wants to enjoy a story with unforseen twists and turns, reexploring their favorite characters.

Our idea behind this story was to combine both the classic cartoon Faker, and the classic toy Faker, while putting him into a fun, new concept for the relaunch.
    Every character had the potential for a big story with a lot of impact, and our plan was to make sure that happened as the series progressed.
    We aimed to balance classic elements with the new story and make them exciting to readers.
    It's a hard act to balance and we know not everyone will be on board.

We included the blue skinned Faker from the toy (both classic and new). And let's be honest here. How many times could that Faker lure MOTU heroes into a trap? Never. Not a single time.

And in the classic cartoon, he did just that, but he was also nearly as strong as He-Man, matching him in every way.
    That not only make him deceiving, but also a force to deal with.
    Only problem was that he was visually identical to He-Man except for some glowing eyes.

I wasn't big on the potential cartoon direction of Faker.
    How long before Man-at-Arms figured out a way to put him out of commission?
    And how long before more and more of those robots came into play, since Man-at-Arms seemed to be able to create them so easily?
    We wanted Faker to be unique in all ways.

I'm really stoked that most people like this story idea.
    And I'm glad some people don't and voice their reasons for not liking it.
    As long as you guys don't start tossing insults, feel free to go into detail about what you don't like.

Iīm amazed by the concept and the potential. Any chance of putting it online as fan-fic some time, Val?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

Heroic Warrior
    Thus, trying to combine all timelines from classic till 200x and merge them into one epic tale is extremely cool for fanfic, but the worst idea one can have for an official comic based on 200x timeline. The idea was meant to fail from the start, because it wouldīve ruined everything Mattel wanted for the 200x timeline.

Therefore I am glad weīve got some really cool comics with intended connections but no obvious ties to the classic line.
    No offence, but if MVC would have stuck to the guidelines Mattel intended for the 200x canon, I am sure we would still have some cool comics popping up every month or two.
    I don't think Mattel really KNEW what they wanted that's why it failed. also they set too many restrictions on MVC without being proactive about their own direction...it seemed to be more of a "Don't do this because we MIGHT be doing something else" rather than something they firmly established. Mattel imposed too many restrictions on MOTU 200X no talking animals, no interplanetary travelling or travellers, even witht he toyline - they insisted that they were right with the multitude of variants and the terrible case ratios. they took out a lot of the mystery vastness and fun of MOTU...that is where they failed the worst. MVC just suffered at the hands of that.

it's funny personally i'm 'kind of' all for a more violent MOTU, but i'm torn. I don't really want to see senseless killing and such, but I want the feeling that these incredible creatures that he-man faces are BAD BAD guys. i mean look at beastman whiplash clawful, how scard would you be of them if they were just buffoons that only wanted your lunch money and if they didn't get it, all they'd do is call you a bumhead. no these monsters are just that and when you see them in the vine jungle you better hope that they didn't see you.

on the other hand I don't want motu to be a gorefest.

anyway I personally like a lot of the MVC faker storyline, it kind of kills or at least hampers the potential for a Hiss/Skelly tema up IMO, but there doesn't HAVE to be one does there? i'm all open to fun exciting and groundbreaking MOTU stories, and I personally wouldn't mind seeing it get into new territory. even if it means crossing some original lines set by MOTU in the past. without change there is no growth after all.
    Last edited by The Cimmerian; January 2, 2007 at 02:07pm.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    maybe i missed something here, if on the alternate reality the heros were blue skinned( as spoke of and seen on the cover) and keldor was white

why did the evil MAA have normal skin and look just like the regular version?
    Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; January 2, 2007 at 02:40pm.
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    That's a good question.
    I was wondering when someone would point that out.

maybe i missed something here, if on the alternate reality the heros were blue skinned( as spoke of and seen on the cover) and keldor was white

My guess would be that the alternate Eternia (Infinta maybe? ) has another light spectrum. Therefore the good Man at arms would have been blue in the alternate universe. I also think that Faker would have normal skintone when he arrives. Something on Eternia must be the reason for him to turn blue and wear Skeletors clothes.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's a good question.
    I was wondering when someone would point that out.

yeah, glad to know i'm not over thinking things
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

I think the ideas for Faker are great. As much as I love Faker from the classic line, he makes no sense at all. Val figured out a way to have him make great sense. I really wish we could have got more of the 200X comic.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    Well, good thing the new MOTU comic wasn't nor would have ever been like that.
    You can certainly disagree, though. We're all entitled to our individual opinions.
    I wonīt disagree Gladly the comics werenīt blood-dripping and a hackīn slay party, but some fans on this forums seem to want just that. Which I really cannot understand. Didnīt He-Man teach us all that brutality and fighting isnīt the way to go? Did those people not listen to the voice of the greatest hero in the universe?
    Whops, taking me too far...
    What I wanted to say was that some wounds are totally okay. The MOTU characters arenīt fighting with LARP or plasticswords, but with real weapons. But putting blood into the comic just for having blood in the comic is stupid
    Iīm not saying that this happened in the MOTU comics, though.

Well, sort of.
    You're basing that on the classic toy concept alone.
    And you're not allowing yourself to go beyond the classic canons.
    This isn't the 1980s He-Man, this is the 200x He-Man. The stories do not have to be indentical. Nor should they be if anyone wants to enjoy a story with unforseen twists and turns, reexploring their favorite characters.
    Pardon me, but I am not basing this on the classic toy concept. Not at all. The classic toy was blue with orange Skeletor armor. The Masters would have to be either blind or really, really stupid to be deceived by a Faker like that.
    No, I am basing my thoughts on the concept that has been implanted in "Courage of Adam" and confirmed by... who was it? Dean Stefan? Canīt remember. Someone from the cartoon show confiremd that Faker-plot in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    I don't think Mattel really KNEW what they wanted that's why it failed.
    I think they knew it exactly. They wanted a single canon timeline for the relaunch, that could be seen in the toys, in the cartoon and in the comics.
    Thatīs an idea I really enjoy. I mean, just look at all those Spiderman comic series, or the various X-Men series. Sure, everyone can pick and read only what they like, but I think itīs much more appealing to have every media in connection to the rest, not as a "rogue-path". Sorry for my bad english, I just donīt know the right words Iīm afraid. So I have to describe what I mean.

also they set too many restrictions on MVC without being proactive about their own direction...it seemed to be more of a "Don't do this because we MIGHT be doing something else" rather than something they firmly established. Mattel imposed too many restrictions on MOTU 200X no talking animals, no interplanetary travelling or travellers, even witht he toyline - they insisted that they were right with the multitude of variants and the terrible case ratios. they took out a lot of the mystery vastness and fun of MOTU...that is where they failed the worst. MVC just suffered at the hands of that.
    I agree on the toy-part, but not on the rest. As I said, they had a pretty good plan storylike, but failed to go further with it when the toyline died. Which indeed is their fault. But Iīm afraid the comics that were aimed at the adult collectors, contributed to making MOTU not too appealing to kids, and together with the bad schedule for the cartoon and several other bad decissions kids werenīt into MOTU, didnīt buy the figures and the whole brand died.

However, I agree with Val on one thing. I really hope this discussion can go on Itīs most interesting.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

I was thinking about that as well. The alternate light spectrum idea on Inverse Eternia is intriguing. I'd have to think about that more. But basically what you are saying is that when good MAA went to Inverse Eternia, he was oppositely coloured (exactly like the MAA on the variant cover)?

I think that covers all the angles. Except how does Faker turn blue? Possibly a curse put on him by the Sorceress? I believe something like that happened in the classic cannon, did it not? Possibly the minicomics?

Pardon me, but I am not basing this on the classic toy concept. Not at all.
    D'oh! Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.
    The way you said that... like you knew for certain, I assumed you were citing the original toy's story angle, since nothing in the new cartoon canon has been written in stone for Faker and the classic Faker angle is the only thing concrete.
    Next time, be more specific! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan
    I think that covers all the angles. Except how does Faker turn blue?
    I'm interested in hearing theories!
    We know how, of course. But telling you all all the details is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm interested in hearing theories!
    We know how, of course. But telling you all all the details is no fun.
    Well, I wasn't necessarily asking you. More like everybody else. (although I think you knew that )

I already mentioned the Sorceress idea, but personally I think that's a cheap way of doing it. There's got to be a better way. Perhaps he is disgusted by white-skinned people (since his Keldor is white), and wants to be blue, so he makes himself blue somehow. Afterall, looking at that cover Teela is blue and I'm sure everybody else with white skin on normal Eternia is blue on Inverse Eternia. But that wouldn't make sense if he wants to impersonate He-Man.

Pretty soon I'll come up with something so good that you'll have to change your ideas. Or at least accomodate mine into your story

So Val, I have to ask. Besides Faker, the next thing I wanted to hear about more than anything else was the fate of Scareglow. Did he just head off to sulk in a bog somewhere, or was he going to be making some fun comebacks?

Okay, he's not a major presence in the comic world, and isn't worthy of a whole newsbreak like Faker got, but I'd still be interested to hear what happened to him, and if he was going to be used again.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Warrior
    I think they knew it exactly. They wanted a single canon timeline for the relaunch, that could be seen in the toys, in the cartoon and in the comics.
    Thatīs an idea I really enjoy. I mean, just look at all those Spiderman comic series, or the various X-Men series. Sure, everyone can pick and read only what they like, but I think itīs much more appealing to have every media in connection to the rest, not as a "rogue-path". Sorry for my bad english, I just donīt know the right words Iīm afraid. So I have to describe what I mean.
    well what i mean is they would say one thing with the toyline "kids want the main guys etc" and with the cartoon they didn't make he-man the hero (ian from mattel stated they made he-man secondary in the show because other characters were more interesting" so right there they were confused from day one. they'd tell us that they know what the kids want then scramble because they really didn't know.

as for Spider-man x-men etc the comics don't follow the movies or tv shows at all. Batman Begins doesn't follow Legends of the Dark Knight or anything. but the biggest problem from what I saw was not that MVC wanted to deviate from the canon of the show they wanted to expand on it. Mattel started to restrict them from creating any new characters which severely hampers a comic book. it wasn't so much that MVC was dismissing the cartoon they were filling in holes that the cartoon created and expanding on storieds that the cartoon presented. it was going to be one big canon from what I imagine and understand. Shoot the fact that Mattel wouldn't allow the rest of the encyclopedia to come out just shows how they were way too restrictive.

as for the normal coloured MAA - uh I have no clues right now i'm going to have to go back and re-read the story.

Love the idea of a 'negative he-man' faker! Would have made for some great character play between He-Man and Faker, with Faker knowing that He-Man is really Adam....Sort of like the Venom/ Spider-Man thing....

Sallah