Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NA He-Man - Volume One DVD - Official Talkback

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar

The Masters Cast review of the DVD is up!

You can download Episode 24 here, on the website, or on iTunes. We have a special guest host -- the forum's own Wacky Martin to weigh in on the New Adventures DVD set

For anyone who doesn't know, Masters Cast is the first He-Man and She-Ra podcast and we have been "on the air" for over a year now! Thanks again to all the listeners and supporters!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Ah, the Masterscast with that subliminal buy NA now message
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

A big fan of Slush Head
    I'll definitely be downloading this one. Very interesting.

Heroic Warrior
    Some Masters Cast responses...

- He-Man only uses the shield once (in episode 5) and doesn't actually use the helmet from the toy.

- Skeletor isn't supposed to be a cyborg in this series.

- The reason for Skeletor not recognising Adam is because of something not followed up from the series bible. Prince Adam was actually supposed to have Eternian dress up until he first meets Master Sebrian, who in taking him in as his "nephew" Adam gives him some Priman clothing to wear (the toga). Adam would lift the hood on his toga up when Skeletor was around so that he wouldn't be recognised, but this wasn't kept up in the series at all.

Here's some of my thoughts...

1. He-Man's strength

I actually love the fact that He-Man's strength is toned down a bit in favor of more dependence on the sword which, to me, makes it more visually interesting. I also don't mind that the mental powers were only touched upon once. -- Gives a bit of mystery.

2. Skeletor's eyes

Is it possible they gave him eyes to convey that loopy sort of personality that Skeletor has?

3. Marlena's blue hair

Correct me if I'm wrong but, when looking at Eternia's residents, it gives me the impression that many years have passed from what happened in Filmation's series up until those series of events. -- Randor and Marlena look somewhat aged to me. Could the blue hair be the animators' way of giving her gray hair? -- Or am I way off base?

Personal thoughts...

Darius - Someone had mentioned that Darius was supposed to be a Man-At-Arms type of character who lead The Galactic Guardians. Could it be that he wasn't included in the series because it would take away from the relationship between Adam and Sebrian? Also, maybe they wanted He-Man to be the leader of the GG, thus making Darius' role obsolete??

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    - He-Man only uses the shield once (in episode 5) and doesn't actually use the helmet from the toy.
    He uses it in 'Crack in the World' and 'Save our City' as well, the episode I thought he was wearing the helmet was 'Siege of Serus' but I checked and it wasn't it

You know I must have completely missed the Adam thing in the series Bible, shame they didn't keep that in.

Tallstar: Yeah thats a good way of looking at the Marlena thing it I think

Darius did seem to be replaced by Master Sebrian, but I can't see Mattel withdrawing a toy because of something in the cartoon, maybe there were design problems with his toy or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Skeletor isn't supposed to be a cyborg in this series.
    Yes, I know. I forgot to correct Josh on that but he went on a bit with his rant ( ) that I couldn't keep track of everything he was saying. I promised myself not to hit the mute button and let him have his say ;-)

The reason for Skeletor not recognising Adam is because of something not followed up from the series bible. Prince Adam was actually supposed to have Eternian dress up until he first meets Master Sebrian, who in taking him in as his "nephew" Adam gives him some Priman clothing to wear (the toga). Adam would lift the hood on his toga up when Skeletor was around so that he wouldn't be recognised, but this wasn't kept up in the series at all.
    Oh interesting. I'm not sure how I missed that part! That is a fantastic idea and it is a shame it wasn't fullfilled in the series.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    He uses it in 'Crack in the World' and 'Save our City' as well, the episode I thought he was wearing the helmet was 'Siege of Serus' but I checked and it wasn't it
    Thinking about it, the helmet looks a lot like the Cerebro helmet from X-Men. I can imagine it looking effective as a flight helmet in an Astrosub.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Oh interesting. I'm not sure how I missed that part! That is a fantastic idea and it is a shame it wasn't fullfilled in the series.
    Again, another image I have in my mind's eye is that Adam would look a little like how Bow looks when we first see him in Into Etheria.

Movie mayhem!
    OK... so in episode 5... the ultimate challenge... Two things really confused me... SPOILERS

He-man appears in that statue....how did he get there? So he can teleport now is that the deal? I'm confused maybe I need to watch it again... anybody know? ALSO and this is just weird...All through the series up till now He-man has short hair adam has long and in the beginning of this ep thats the way it is.. but then at the end not only does he have long hair and a pony tail but they make a point of SHOWING us that he does a highlight that its a change... so... I don't get it... first of all why does he have long hair now... and how ... he just grew it quick? I don't understand.

OK so info on that would be cool...

I Also think it is cool that he-mans sword is more powerful then before... and it could make sense... this takes place after the first series and we don't know how far after... totally possible that he-man learns more secrets about his sword and or his sword becomes more powerful because of some sort of encounter we don't know about... EITHER way... the whole who's sword is more powerful, he-man's or she-ra's debate needs to be rehashed now ;-) He mans sword just got even cooler it can shoot things, become a energy lasso show him where people are located/"guide his heart" and also aparently teleport him! ! !

Heroic Warrior
    It's basically a minor miracle in that he came back from, seemingly, the dead. The Power of the Good and the Way of the Magic...

Movie mayhem!
    So his sword not only teleported him but reanimated him? and what about the hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    and what about the hair?
    His hair was always quite long, he just had it all brushed back. Then when he returned in Ultimate Challenge he was surrounded by all that energy so it was blowing everywhere, so he tidied it up, and it wasnt really a long ponytail at that point anyway.

Movie mayhem!
    Hmmm I'll have another look... at the time I went back and it was clearly much shorter at the beginning of the episode... there wasn't anything to tie back... and I remember him tying hair back... i'll look again

Is it bad that I just realized this was released last week!? Oh man do I feel retarded. I guess I'll hit best buy tomorrow.

OK so I finally watched the whole set. This was the first time I'd ever seen most of these episodes and overall I was very impressed.
    The storyline was well written. I liked how He-Man seemed to be out of his element and showed he was vurnable just like any other person.
    Skeletor had more of a comedic side to him in this series, I guess that would come naturally after so many years of losing to He-Man on Eternia.
    Most of the supporting cast was good for both Guardians and Mutants and helped the show.
    My major gripe about the show is the animation, I just hate any type of anime style. I really wish Filmation could have done the series.
    The only other things that need to be changed are the Scientist and Kaz, Thay have got to go. The Scientist, man I could go on all day about how much I hate them. I know the series is based in science but they kind of just get in the way.
    Kaz, when did it become written in stone that all cartoon sereis have to have an annoying brat in the cast, see also the new Transformers 'toons. The only saving grace for Kaz is that whenever they show him they show his extremely hotly drawn sister Drissy.
    Again though I really enjoyed the show to this point. I'd like to thank BCI for a great job done on this set and giving it the royal treatment. And special thakn to Jakc for doing such a great job writting the series.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    Skeletor had more of a comedic side to him in this series, I guess that would come naturally after so many years of losing to He-Man on Eternia.
    That is a great way at looking at it! I thought that Skeletor also became more insane in NA (which is a good thing) and that totally plays into your idea as well! Plus, wrap that with the fact that Skeletor too is a bit out of his element and trying to control the mutants without letting them realize it.

Movie mayhem!
    As I slowly get further with the series I enjoy it more and more! I'm so happy!!

There is One thing I'm not loving though

He-man and Adam are more bratty in this toon... with Adam I don't really mind because there is always the excuse that he's just trying to make it so people can't tell he's he-man... but with he-man I really don't like it... he often will snap at someone or say something in a way that I just don't think He-man would.

Oh and I went back and checked the hair thing... it is DEFINITELY short in the beginning and then tied back in a pony tail later. Anyone know how to take screen shots so I can show what I mean? I guess it doesn't really matter... i just thought it was interesting not just that the change was made but with in an episode and highlighted... just want to figure out what caused it to happen ...

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    ok if its released now, why does play usa say its not out untill the 16/01/2007

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/...-/Product.html
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

NA He-Man isn't being released in Canada until the 16th, that is probably why I am guessing.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    forgot play use's canada, guess i'll just have to wait
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    That is a great way at looking at it! I thought that Skeletor also became more insane in NA (which is a good thing) and that totally plays into your idea as well! Plus, wrap that with the fact that Skeletor too is a bit out of his element and trying to control the mutants without letting them realize it.
    Apparently so insane he doesn't even remember Prince Adam anymore

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...5&postcount=14

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Apparently so insane he doesn't even remember Prince Adam anymore

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...5&postcount=14
    As Dagar pointed out -- while on Eternia, Adam was suppose to have his regular clothes on instead of the Primus ones. Too bad they didn't fullfill that in the episode, that would have worked nicely to explain why Skeletor doesn't recognize him in that episode.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Adam could have just used his "way of the Magic" to cloud Skeletor's mind, so he only saw some blonde-haired Primian. Eh, who knows.

BTW, I totally dig that transformation sequence back into Adam. They should have used that in MYP....
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    Adam could have just used his "way of the Magic" to cloud Skeletor's mind, so he only saw some blonde-haired Primian. Eh, who knows.
    suuurrrreee Wonder why that never worked on Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post

BTW, I totally dig that transformation sequence back into Adam. They should have used that in MYP....

Yeah, I remember that being very cool indeed and it's a sight lot better than the actual transformation sequence, which I always found very painful to watch!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com