Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NA He-Man - Volume One DVD - Official Talkback

I just picked up my copy today. Didn't think I would get it, but here I am! It will be intersting to see what I think about the series.

Also, I have to give kudos to Best Buy's online/in-store pick up program. When I went to two different Best Buys on Tuesday, I could not find the set at either store. I went online to check the availability, and they did actually have it at both the stores I checked. Apparently, I wasn't looking in the right place, or they hadn't put it out yet. But, using their in-store pick up feature to reserve a copy was a nice and quick way of getting it without having to hunt for it!

Heroic Warrior
    It's not available in my area...
    ne jabba no badda!

Picked up 2 copies today (1 for me & 1 for a friend...)
    BCI does it again with stellar packaging and some great art cards! Of course the box art is beautiful & I really love how the front and back images were handeled with the 3 main NA heroes by Emil/Val on the front, & the Sorceress & OP sequence pics on the back... I noticed it immediately on Bestbuy's TV shelf, (although I almost think they should file it under "HE-MAN" with the rest of the previous classic Filmation series so it gets more notice than under NEW but it's all good!)
    I'm very pleased and can't wait to check out the show itself as well as the bonus features! Thanks BCI, I can't wait to watch this the late 80's early 90's faveorite! With this release, original He-Man & She-ra, & the other stellar BCI releases (like Dungeons & Dragons, etc.) BCI & 2006 proved to be the best DVD release year for classic animation yet!!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Eternian Actor Master_Of_Metropolis's Avatar

My very humble opinion...

Okay, so I've only ever see the pilot episode of this series, so I of couse picked up the set and plan on getting the second set to go with Masters of the Universe and She-Ra sets.

I'm going to just give my opinion of the series itself--you are welcome to agree or disagree...

I'm a great fan of the original series as well as the 2000 series of MOTU--and I realized that New Advetures was going to be different, but wow....

The story line and concept isn't bad, but the excecution is really falling short. I feel that as great a voice actor as Gary Chalk is, he was mis-cast in this part. (Sorry Gary). The actor playing skeletor gave his all, but again this was so against the grain that it just doesn't work. Skeletor is such a different character than the origianl concept, that it is like watching a cheesy rip-off.

The dialog is really cheesy at times and they introduce things as if they have always been there but don't really explain it. Characters like the Sorceress and places like Grayskull are not explained--only refered to. Anyone on this site will have the background, but good story telling--especially when re-introducing a story must develop the background better.

Alot of the characters are just silly and this seems to be a lesser quality than the filmation versions. It seems to be geared to a MUCH younger audience. They watered down skeletor so much and took anything that might be considered "scary" away from him.

I do think that it is reasonably well drawn and with some reworking it could have been a decent series. I like how there are many nods to the MOTU live action film peppered here and there as well.

Anyway, I'm about 3/4 way though the first disc and look forward to the documentaries and the continuity is very well done.

So...what do you all think?

Fsmiler

Why?

I don't understand what you mean, were you to afraid of having her in the series in case you messed up?
    What part of Ireland is she from?
    I'm Irish!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Of_Metropolis View Post
    OkaCharacters like the Sorceress and places like Grayskull are not explained--only refered to. Anyone on this site will have the background, but good story telling--especially when re-introducing a story must develop the background better.
    Remember that when this series was done, Filmation's He-Man and She-Ra were still running in reruns. This is a spin-off basically if you look at the first episode. Much like on how Frasier didn't have to explain everything when they referenced things from Cheers.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Of_Metropolis View Post
    Alot of the characters are just silly and this seems to be a lesser quality than the filmation versions. It seems to be geared to a MUCH younger audience. They watered down skeletor so much and took anything that might be considered "scary" away from him.
    Theres a fair bit of comic relief in the series, but I wouldn't say it's geared toward a much younger audience, I mean in the first fifteen episodes you have a storyline where Skeletor wins and an episode focusing on the politics between Primus and the Mutants. Skeletor, while goofy at times, becomes more 'scary' as the series goes on, particularly in the final few episodes, and theres actually the feeling that this Skeletor is a match for He-Man and might just beat him.

I agree with you about Gary Chalk being miscast, I never really felt he was a good choice for He-Man, but that's probably because I've heard him in so much other stuff

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmiler View Post
    I don't understand what you mean, were you to afraid of having her in the series in case you messed up?
    What part of Ireland is she from?
    I'm Irish!
    That was my way of alluding to how hot I think She-ra is.

My wife's family comes from County Cork.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    Theres a fair bit of comic relief in the series, but I wouldn't say it's geared toward a much younger audience
    I agree -- plus there is a lot more violence and references to violence in the New Adventures than there was in the Filmation series.

I agree with you about Gary Chalk being miscast, I never really felt he was a good choice for He-Man, but that's probably because I've heard him in so much other stuff
    I think Gary suits NA He-Man, but I would rank him better as Man-At-Arms than He-Man in general. But, I still think Gary out delivers the poor choice of Cam Clarke for the voice of He-Man in the MYP show.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I picked it up yesterday. A bit of backstory, I remember being a young lad of 8 or 9 and being told "We're going to the new Toys R Us grand opening. He-man will be there." And I'm like "YEAH!!"

So I go and I look for He-man and I'm met with this badly musclesuited guy in a He-man mask, goofy helmet and blue pants.... I was not pleased. I did get my pic taken shaking Skeley's hand and I liked his makeover a little better... but I never watched the show or got those toys.

FFW to yesterday. I watched NA He-man for the first time and I'll admit, parts are good. Don't totally care for the animation style at times. He-man himself seems a rather bland character. And Skeletor... oh god why did they do that to him.... He's written well. I have no problem with that. He made me laugh and I thank him. But... couldn't they have given him blank eyesockets instead of those horrible cartoony eyes?!! And that voice is so terribly NOT Skeletor...

But I'll keep watching and I WILL buy Season 2 (I don't want a gap in my DVDs )
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post

But I'll keep watching and I WILL buy Season 2 (I don't want a gap in my DVDs )
    I am sure you mean the next set, cause saddly we didn't get a second season for NA He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I am sure you mean the next set, cause saddly we didn't get a second season for NA He-Man.
    Hehe, yeah that's what I meant.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Heroic Eternian Actor Master_Of_Metropolis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Remember that when this series was done, Filmation's He-Man and She-Ra were still running in reruns. This is a spin-off basically if you look at the first episode. Much like on how Frasier didn't have to explain everything when they referenced things from Cheers.
    I just watched the documentaries after posting my comments and character choices make a bit more since now. I also have to admit that the series becomes more enjoyable as it moves along. However, I still stand by my notion of giving more back story--reruns or not.

It is kinda cool to see a different tak on the genre, I must admit.

Picked up a copy at Best Buy Today. Box and Art Cards are awesome. Hope to get to watch the episodes and commentary this week
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

I got my set Wed. at Best Buy. I had to search for a bit before I actually found it. The box art is perfect. I love how it connects to the last set of MOTU.

I've always been a fan of NA. I had all of the toys when I was a kid (and probably still do...somewhere), but I never got to see much of the show. So far, I've watched the first three episodes. I really like how there is solid continuity in the series. I hope it continues as I watch more episodes.

One thing that caught my attention is the importance given to the Power Sword. In the first three episodes it is shown to be very powerful and sought after by Skeletor. I really like this. The Power Sword and it's importance has always been one of my favorite things about He-Man. It's great seeing the stories of NA giving the sword the level of importance it deserves.

Minor gripe:
    The scientists. ARGH!! I kind of want Flogg and Skeletor to win just to get rid of those annoying, horribly-voiced scientists.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

Got my set today, just done watching all the special features. The First Documentary was great, and I was glad to see everyone talking so positively about Skeletor and interesting seeing they kind of based him around Jack Nickolson/The Joker. Also, found Michael Reaves 'He-Man I shrunk the kids!' episode proposal hilarious
    Francis Moss seemed to have real enthusiasm for the series, and cool to see Busta Toons on there, just a shame there was no Jack Olesker.
    The Comic documentary was really interesting as well, as I knew very little about the Mini comics, and the new comic in fact.

One of my favourite features is the Art Gallery, I dont know if some of that was just toy art, because I was surprised to see the Darius sketch in there. And the Crita designs! Very scary looking the way they were originally going to go, she looks just like a female Skeletor and really very creepy. I'm glad they went with the 'hotter' look Theres this one big fat...thing on it and I have no idea who it is, looks like a character from the movie 'Dune'.

Packaging of course looks great, if you hadnt seen the series before I think you might even think this was a recent show!
    Not had a chance to view the series bible/scripts or episodes yet. I really like the art card of He-Man fighting the Mutants, and was glad to see Merman on the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    One of my favourite features is the Art Gallery, I dont know if some of that was just toy art, because I was surprised to see the Darius sketch in there. And the Crita designs! Very scary looking the way they were originally going to go, she looks just like a female Skeletor and really very creepy. I'm glad they went with the 'hotter' look Theres this one big fat...thing on it and I have no idea who it is, looks like a character from the movie 'Dune'.
    Yeah, I was real surprised to see Darius on there! The early version of Skeletor and that one of Castle Grayskull split in half look wicked cool.

That's really supposed to be Crita??? I wonder if the next set will have more toy/series art?

I just picked the set up yesterday and have a quick question. I noticed there is a special note under the listing for the episode "The Siege of Serus" in the booklet that says, "This episode has been digitally remastered for optimum audio and video quality." Why weren't all of the episodes remastered? Has anyone noticed a difference in quality between this epsiode and the rest?

Another a little thing - Why do the episode numbers all start with 32? I figured it was just some technical thing for Jetlag, but thought I'd ask...

Just had a look at the Series Bible and the outline for the first episode was very interesting, looks like Castle Grayskull was originally supposed to appear, and Skeletor was to have taken command of the Mutants like in the Mini Comics, as well as being hurled off Primus and through the shield by He-Man and Sebrian.

Tis Interesting stuff!

a bit disappointing...

Best Buy recently updated the bestsellers list on their site, so some of the December 26th releases are now starting to show up. Unfortunetly, I don't see NA anywhere on there, not even in the subcategories. I dunno if it's just on the verge of making the bestsellers or what, but when Dungeons & Dragons makes one of the subcategories, going into the 4th week of its release (at a higher price point), it's not a good sign.

The next update is going to be crucial. If you've been putting off getting the set 'till later, now would be the time to bump it up on your list of things to do. The set needs some support.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, the first 20 pages are pretty much a first draft of the first episode. It's a good read. There are some errors and areas of divergence (Meldoc is described as bald as well as having long hair, U-R replaces the four planned robots for the scientists, etc.), but for the most part it's pretty faithful and consistent with the final result. I just wish we could've got any additions or amendments re. the new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    That was my way of alluding to how hot I think She-ra is.

My wife's family comes from County Cork.
    I was born and lived in Macroom Co.Cork until the age of nine.
    My sister has settled down in Macroom. There ya go!

I hope to get my NA set in teh next few weeks.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Yeah, the first 20 pages are pretty much a first draft of the first episode. It's a good read. There are some errors and areas of divergence (Meldoc is described as bald as well as having long hair, U-R replaces the four planned robots for the scientists, etc.), but for the most part it's pretty faithful and consistent with the final result. I just wish we could've got any additions or amendments re. the new characters.
    Yeah I was hoping for something on Crita. The backstory for the Council/The Shield etc is really well done, and I liked getting the explanation for Grot's presence on Primus.

I just picked the set up yesterday and have a quick question. I noticed there is a special note under the listing for the episode "The Siege of Serus" in the booklet that says, "This episode has been digitally remastered for optimum audio and video quality." Why weren't all of the episodes remastered? Has anyone noticed a difference in quality between this epsiode and the rest?
    I checked it out and noticed this episode does seem to be in better quality than the others, the colours seem a lot more vibrants and the picture much clearer.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, Crita is strangely conspicuous by her absence, especially as she is in the first five episodes.

As a separate thing, I wrote the profiles, so I apologise to one and all for mis-spelling Krex and Meldoc as Crax and Maldoc. I had nothing to work from at the time of writing them, so I had to guess how they were spelt. Luckily, everything else was pretty spot-on in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Best Buy recently updated the bestsellers list on their site, so some of the December 26th releases are now starting to show up. Unfortunetly, I don't see NA anywhere on there, not even in the subcategories. I dunno if it's just on the verge of making the bestsellers or what, but when Dungeons & Dragons makes one of the subcategories, going into the 4th week of its release (at a higher price point), it's not a good sign.

The next update is going to be crucial. If you've been putting off getting the set 'till later, now would be the time to bump it up on your list of things to do. The set needs some support.
    Comparing D&D sales to NA is like comparing apples to oranges, there is no way NA was ever going to sell at the level of D&D.

D&D had a much bigger fan base (it does period and thats fact)

I think you should be comparing to other releases of similar volume like COPS Volume 1, Defenders of the Earth, Groovie Ghoulies, Blackstar, Zelda

From what I have read and seen in my Best Buys the number shipped vs the number sold is very respectable....only BCI Guy and those at BCI would know for sure how well its doing

I noticed there is a special note under the listing for the episode "The Siege of Serus" in the booklet that says, "This episode has been digitally remastered for optimum audio and video quality." Why weren't all of the episodes remastered? Has anyone noticed a difference in quality between this epsiode and the rest?
    The episodes in the boxed set were good enough to not warrant a huge clean up is what I can assume, remember the remastering process is very expensive. Hallmark was the ones that took care of the Filmation sets which is why the cost to BCI for release of that is minimal. Had BCI taken the task of remastering every episode of NA I can bet the price tag of the set would have skyrocketed. Hallmark did not do NA and so therfore any remastering I would guess would need to be paid for by BCI and ER.

Siege of Serus does look nicer but so does the rest of the set....I wonder what it was about that episode that needed restoration though
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback