Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NA He-Man - Volume One DVD - Official Talkback

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    Yeah, I remember that being very cool indeed and it's a sight lot better than the actual transformation sequence, which I always found very painful to watch!
    I noticed in the last disc there seems to be a new transformation with Adam doing a few more sword swings...was that permanant, or just for that show?
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    I noticed in the last disc there seems to be a new transformation with Adam doing a few more sword swings...was that permanant, or just for that show?
    Just for that show.

Oh! Amazon reduced the price to $29.99 and now the rankings are improving.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    That is a great way at looking at it! I thought that Skeletor also became more insane in NA (which is a good thing) and that totally plays into your idea as well! Plus, wrap that with the fact that Skeletor too is a bit out of his element and trying to control the mutants without letting them realize it.
    I was thinking about this the other day actually, and if you look at the first episode he seems to start off fairly serious then says 'It's almost enough to make even me smile!' which seemed an odd thing to say as NA Skeletor is always smiling and laughing! The way it's written he could have started out more serious, then due to having to be 'nice' and respectful to Flogg in the future he just went a bit crazy as time went on

Okay so i went to Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart and none of them have it. Anyone know where I can pick up a copy. I don't want to get it over the net but I will if I must.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day actually, and if you look at the first episode he seems to start off fairly serious then says 'It's almost enough to make even me smile!' which seemed an odd thing to say as NA Skeletor is always smiling and laughing! The way it's written he could have started out more serious, then due to having to be 'nice' and respectful to Flogg in the future he just went a bit crazy as time went on

Doesnt he finally snap toward Flogg in the last episode?
    Rob

Heroic Warrior
    Doesnt he finally snap toward Flogg in the last episode?
    Wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletorfan View Post
    Okay so i went to Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart and none of them have it. Anyone know where I can pick up a copy. I don't want to get it over the net but I will if I must.
    If you have an FYE in your area, they should probably have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Wait and see!
    Indeed

I like it!

I'm really enjoying the series so far, I HATED IT when I was a kid, but checking it out with an open mind now :-)

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by void2k View Post
    I'm really enjoying the series so far, I HATED IT when I was a kid, but checking it out with an open mind now :-)
    And thanks for doing that, void2k. You know, when I first came on the forum it was with considerable trepidation. I knew many of MOTU fans felt betrayed by N/A and that when the series was first released they refused to even give it a chance. I've explained a lot of where I'd hoped to go with the series in Season Two in other posts and how I felt it could have been rolled out better. But what's gratifying for me is to see so many fans giving it a chance. I don't expect everyone to like it. But it does deserve a fair chance and I'm glad to see you're giving it one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    And thanks for doing that, void2k. You know, when I first came on the forum it was with considerable trepidation. I knew many of MOTU fans felt betrayed by N/A and that when the series was first released they refused to even give it a chance. I've explained a lot of where I'd hoped to go with the series in Season Two in other posts and how I felt it could have been rolled out better. But what's gratifying for me is to see so many fans giving it a chance. I don't expect everyone to like it. But it does deserve a fair chance and I'm glad to see you're giving it one.
    And kudos to you for coming on here :-) Quite a treat to have one of key persons involved to give us all the cool inside information....can't wait for Vol. 2 :-)

Wait and see!
    I said that in a more a "I've already seen it" type of way
    Rob

Well now I get to post about the series!

I just finished viewing Episode One. First I have to say how impressed I am by the amazing job BCI did in virtually every regard. The quality, after all these years, is absolutely stunning. And the presentation package and the artwork are so visually excited. Kudos to everyone involved, and please accept my most sincere and heartfelt thanks.

I have to admit it's a bit strange to have something out there that I did so long ago. It's kind of like looking at the jacket photo on my first novel, published back in 1975. As my seven-year old son said when he first saw it, "Daddy you look weird without a beard!"

Well I did have a beard when I created N/A and wrote all those episodes, but it was -- to borrow from among the best -- a long time ago, in a galaxy far away.

What's strange is to see the animation from those days. It's sort of a glimpse into animation's past. And in that sense it's interesting. But when it's your own work, you'd really like to see it looking slick and state-of-the-art. So I'm grateful to all the viewers for being able to distinguish that period's animation from the story itself.

I think everyone can appreciate -- whether they like N/A or don't -- that a lot of work went into it. Just look at the end credits. When I think about what I did to create the series bible and thirty-seven episodes, all I can say is that it's like Air Force Boot Camp: I'm glad I went through it once, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

So my take is that it reflects a nostalgic time for me when my career was young, I accomplished a lot and brought my best efforts -- at the time -- to bear. If you'll allow an aging creative warrior a moment of minor immodesty, I'm darn proud of that old series. And my deepest wish is that everyone -- even N/A's detractors -- at least finds something in the series to make them smile, nod and enjoy for a moment or two.

And for a bit of honest crticism, if I had one thing I'd do over, it's that I'd go back in time and slaughter those blasted scientists!!!

What's strange is to see the animation from those days. It's sort of a glimpse into animation's past.
    When I look at characters like Drissi and Caz in comparison to the main players, I get the sense that NA was just on the verge of crossing over into full-on anime. (The early start of the 'eyes'..hehe) Oh, and some of those animals they're tending to are Pokemon-ish.

..when Fedora (sp?) transforms into her true form in one episode, I think...Sailor Moon.

You had a hand in making that show...if that's the case then you are ONE OF MY HEROES! When that show first aired I was like "OH my GOD! This is awesome!". When I first watched the opening credits that's what really made me decide that I wanted to go into animation, so I did, lol. Nowadays I'm only doing storyboarding and character design, but that show...man, I was sketching like crazy when that show aired. I would tape the episodes and go back and play the tapes, pausing them on certain scenes so I could draw the characters. I know a lot of people don't like the show, but I think it was one of the greatest cartoons on during that time, even with Ninja Turtles on the airwaves. My mom didn't like it because it was He-Man to her, because if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have even watched the original He-Man cartoon. I think I liked it because of the character designs and the storytelling, and the fact that there was more animation and less "reused" animation, and the environments weren't like anything I'd seen in the previous show. Now if only the mail lady would hurry and deliver my DVD so I can sit back and enjoy it all over again!
    I'm also on DeviantArt
    My buddies and I review stuff 3 Points of Articulation
    3 Points official site 3PA
    Personal Gallery The Art of Mista Jonz

Heroic Warrior
    I just got my copy a couple of days ago (thanks to my sister for pre-ordering it from Amazon), and so far it's really cool. Skeletor, in this series, reminds me of my brother's roommate on a really bad sugar high. The rest of what I've seen so far (I'm on Disc 2 right now) is really great. It's cheering me up a great deal. Now, on to the rest of the set!
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

And for a bit of honest crticism, if I had one thing I'd do over, it's that I'd go back in time and slaughter those blasted scientists!!!
    Had to laugh at this

In fairness to you though Jack, the Scientists were well written characters, I think it's their screeching voices that drive people crazy

Glad you were finally able to get your set

He uses it in 'Crack in the World' and 'Save our City' as well, the episode I thought he was wearing the helmet was 'Siege of Serus' but I checked and it wasn't it

You know I must have completely missed the Adam thing in the series Bible, shame they didn't keep that in.

Tallstar: Yeah thats a good way of looking at the Marlena thing it I think

Darius did seem to be replaced by Master Sebrian, but I can't see Mattel withdrawing a toy because of something in the cartoon, maybe there were design problems with his toy or something?
    You know, it's scary that you know this much stuff about the show, WM. I worry about you.

Master of DVD Documentaries Andy Mangels's Avatar
    Just out of interest, who got interviewed for the documentary? The reason I ask is because I was asked to compile some questions for interviews with Francis Moss, Michael Reaves and Misty Stewart, but I thought it was for individual interviews as opposed to a documentary.
    Misty was unavailable for interview. All interviews were shot individually, then edited into a documentary!

yeah, what's with the no Jack thing?
    The art cards rock, although I'm surprised Ed's was Classic and not NA.
    Jack was halfway across the country, and we did not have the budget to fly him to us or a film crew to him. We would have loved to film him though, and he would have loved to participate. [His later comments seem to indicate that he doesn't recall talking with me about filming, but that's OK]. But instead, he has become a very active part of this forum. Go Jack!

As for the art cards, the NAHM V2 set will also contain one Classic and one NAHM card. So out of the 16, two will be NAHM, two are HM & SRa, and 12 are HM.

I just noticed Susan Blu(G1 Arcee) was the Voice Director. Wonder if we could get her input as well as Jack's for Season 1, Vol 2....Andy?
    Susan Blu was asked to participate in several sets — including the upcoming Bravestarr on which she was a main character — but she declined. I believe it was mostly due to work commitments as a voice director and teacher.

Are they any Easter Eggs on this set?
    Yes, yes there are. Three, I believe. Sometime soon, they'll be up on my site. It's usually 2-3 weeks after release.

Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    I Was Watching The End Credits And Noticed Under The Production Assistents There Were 2 Names. One I Can't Remember But The Other Is Ana Gastyer. I'm Not Not Certain On My Spelling Of That Name. The Only Reason It Stood Out To Me Was There Was An Ana Gastyer On Saturday Night Live, And Was Wondering If This Person Was One In The Same? Anybody Know?
    From what I've been able to find out, it was indeed the same Ana Gasteyer from SNL. There are other cartoon credits I've run across for her, prior to her acting debut.

Whew! Finally made it through the whole thread!
    Best,
    Andy Mangels
    www.andymangels.com
    visit my site to see lots of cool He-Man, She-Ra, and Filmation DVD goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Jonz View Post
    You had a hand in making that show...if that's the case then you are ONE OF MY HEROES! When that show first aired I was like "OH my GOD! This is awesome!". When I first watched the opening credits that's what really made me decide that I wanted to go into animation, so I did, lol. Nowadays I'm only doing storyboarding and character design, but that show...man, I was sketching like crazy when that show aired. I would tape the episodes and go back and play the tapes, pausing them on certain scenes so I could draw the characters. I know a lot of people don't like the show, but I think it was one of the greatest cartoons on during that time, even with Ninja Turtles on the airwaves. My mom didn't like it because it was He-Man to her, because if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have even watched the original He-Man cartoon. I think I liked it because of the character designs and the storytelling, and the fact that there was more animation and less "reused" animation, and the environments weren't like anything I'd seen in the previous show. Now if only the mail lady would hurry and deliver my DVD so I can sit back and enjoy it all over again!
    Yes, I did have 'a hand in making that show'. I'm pleased you liked it so much and I'm delighted that it inspired you to go into animation. I wish you the best. The industry needs artists with the kind of passion you exhibit.

Movie mayhem!
    I have been alternating between watching the NA toons and the MYP ones on you tube... the beginning of the two series is very similar. YOu have this "wall" that is keeping the bad guys from bothering the good guys but they break through the wall so the world needs he-man so they go get he-man. And in gen in the series I notice little things that remind me of NA which surprises me because I wouldn't have thought NA would have any influence on the newest series. . .

Heroic Warrior
    I just finished Disc 2, and there's a quote that stood out among everything that I have watched so far: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." It is interesting to hear something that was made famous by FDR come from He-Man.
    Right now, I'm on Disc 3. I'll finish watching it and see if I can spot any more things not covered in the trivia tracks.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Heroic Warrior HordeTrooper1138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    NA He-Man isn't being released in Canada until the 16th
    So that's why I haven't seen it yet.
    Those who stand before us light the night sky in flame. Our vengeance burns brighter still. Every last traitorous soul shall kneel.

Those who stand before us light the night sky in flame. Our vengeance burns brighter still. Every last traitorous soul shall fall.

Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers all!