Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: NA He-Man - Volume One DVD - Official Talkback

Finally got my set on Wednesday, watched first disc and a half already, and the shows as good as I remember. Slush-head is fast becoming a favourite!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I'm digging up this old thread because I am just now getting around to seeing this show for the first time. I'd say I'm about 15 episodes in right now and thought I'd put up my thoughts so far...

I'll start off the with the positive aspects of the show and get to the negative later.

When I was a child, I wanted no part of this show because it wasn't like the Filmation version, but since I have grown up, I've decided that a change might not be a bad thing and am going into it with an open mind.

The show is pretty well-written. I like the continuity the show has and the plot behind it is intriguing. Some of Skeletor's dialogue had me laughing out loud at points. He's always been my favorite villain, so I'm glad he came along for the ride.

Of the new characters, I like Drissi, Flipshot, Hydron, and Slush Head. In fact, I pretty much like all of the villains, though I don't know all of their names just yet.

As for the negatives, I'm afraid there's a few. Skeletor's look with his cartoony eyes is terrible. Even after the change in Sword and Staff, I still can't stand to look at his wobbly eyes.

Another thing I don't care for is the voice acting. Skeletor's okay, but his evil laugh is just so annoying that I cringe when I know it's coming. The scientists talking are like hearing nails on a chalkboard. Prince Adam sounds extremely feminine...or something...and the Sorceress sounds masculine.

All in all, I like the series, but I don't love it like I did the Filmation shows. I'm going to keep watching, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor's Lackey View Post
    I'm digging up this old thread because I am just now getting around to seeing this show for the first time. I'd say I'm about 15 episodes in right now and thought I'd put up my thoughts so far...

I'll start off the with the positive aspects of the show and get to the negative later.

When I was a child, I wanted no part of this show because it wasn't like the Filmation version, but since I have grown up, I've decided that a change might not be a bad thing and am going into it with an open mind.

The show is pretty well-written. I like the continuity the show has and the plot behind it is intriguing. Some of Skeletor's dialogue had me laughing out loud at points. He's always been my favorite villain, so I'm glad he came along for the ride.

Of the new characters, I like Drissi, Flipshot, Hydron, and Slush Head. In fact, I pretty much like all of the villains, though I don't know all of their names just yet.

As for the negatives, I'm afraid there's a few. Skeletor's look with his cartoony eyes is terrible. Even after the change in Sword and Staff, I still can't stand to look at his wobbly eyes.

Another thing I don't care for is the voice acting. Skeletor's okay, but his evil laugh is just so annoying that I cringe when I know it's coming. The scientists talking are like hearing nails on a chalkboard. Prince Adam sounds extremely feminine...or something...and the Sorceress sounds masculine.

All in all, I like the series, but I don't love it like I did the Filmation shows. I'm going to keep watching, though.
    I have a lot of pretty similar feelings. I only watched a few episodes when I was younger and didn't really care for it, but decided to give it another chance. I recently purchased both NA sets at a really cheap price for new on ebay. If one treats it as its own show and not in the universe of the other cartoon, then I think more people would have positive feelings towards this show. The continuity is pretty good and Skeletor has some good zingers. I still don't care for Skeletor's look. Drissi is nice to look at, though. From the episodes I've watched so far, I really hate the scientists. I wish they would have made the robots the comedy relief. Overall, I'm liking the show, though. Out of the four art cards, I liked the Mer-Man/Webstor one and didn't really care for the other three.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    I Just Finished Watching All 65 Episodes of The New Adventures of He-Man.

I bought all the DVDs. This was my first time watching these episodes because in 1990-1991 I was living in a small lifeless town in the middle of nowhere with no cable. Overall, I did not like this version of He-Man cartoons. I won't be watching this series ever again. The animation reminded me too much of Voltron, Speed Racer, and Astro Boy, and maybe even Pokemon. I didn't like those either. I'm guessing the animators and production company that made the New Adventures of He-Man were the same ones that produced Voltron. Were these produced in France or Japan? I never liked the whole Anime look!

I noticed in some episodes of NA that the lips of some of the characters would continue moving even after they had finished talking. In some cases they would continue talking even if their lips were not moving.

What's with those soldiers with the white helmets that looked like the Storm Troopers from STAR WARS. That really bugged me! What a rip-off! What were their names by the way?

The most annoying things about this cartoon series were those damn scientists and that damn robot: Alcon, Gepal, Maldor, Crecks, Glepe. They could have done without them or portrayed them differently, made them sound like Master Sebrian. Skeletor and most of the other evil warriors were too comical. They just didn't seem evil enough. It seemed like they could be saved and made into good people if they talked to a psychiatrist. Flogg and Slushhead especially. It just seemed like evil wasn't really evil in this series. Skeletor and Flogg laying on beach chairs?

Teela and The Sorceress didn't look interesting. I liked seeing King Randor and Queen Marlena in the first episode. They looked and sounded great. The last episode was great too. I liked how they ended it without one of those moral lessons at the end. When Skeletor says "I'll be back" it reminded me of the end of the Masters of the Universe movie.

Most of the episodes bored me and almost put me to sleep. Some other episodes I found to be very silly, very un-he-man, although interesting: The Festival of Lights and Fading Star (featuring cowboys), He-Man Mutant, He-Caz, He-Fan, The Bride of Slushhead, Rock to the Future with Hank Rappa (obviously a play on the name of Rock Icon, Frank Zappa). I guess it's okay since this is the future. I liked all the later episodes that featured the Mytes and the Gleanons. They reminded me of the Manchines from A Christmas Special. The Call to the Games let you know that this thing was almost over.

At least this series produced an actual last episode (a series finale) which the other three series' did not.

Are full episodes of the New Adventures of He-Man cartoons being shown anywhere on the internet? There's nothing on YouTube, Joost, HULU or Crackle!
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; February 23, 2010 at 06:26pm.