Thread: How did you get into MOTU?

How did you get into MOTU?

How did you become interested in MOTU? Did you start with the toyline, the cartoon, or something else?

I watched a few episodes of the MYP series when it aired on Cartoon Network (even recorded a couple), but over time it just kinda faded into the back of my mind. Then in 2010 I was walking through the mall when I saw this on the $5 DVD stand:

He-Man2002_BattleForEternia.jpg

Seeing Skeletor was all I needed to become interested again.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    200X Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Filmation Hordak, MYP Skeletor

When I was a kid I went to a K-mart store with my best friend Mike. I was in the toy section, and I saw a He-Man figure out of the package sitting on the shelf. I picked up the toy not knowing what it was. I thought, "This guy is so cool looking, I have to show Mike."

I found Mike and exclaimed, "Man, this is the coolest toy I've ever seen! Mike, check it out."

To my surprise he knew the guy's name. "It's He-Man, he's lame. Look at these Zoids. Now these are cool.", he said.

I was talked out of buying a He-Man figure that day and bought some Zoids instead. Little did I know it would be almost 2 years before I would own any of these way cool Masters of the Universe toys.

During these two years, we never had enough money to get any figures, and I would see other kids with these cool He-Man figures. Then I saw the cartoon, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and oh man, I had to get these, but I knew my mom could not afford them.

At this time I also wanted a computer, a Commodore Vic 20, but my mom could not afford this either. So I asked everyone I knew to just give me money for my birthday and Christmas, for the computer.

Only my dad took me seriously enough to send money, he sent up $100, and man, that was a lot of money for a kid. But nobody else gave any, and the Vic 20 computer was $299. So I was still a long way off.

One night when we went out to eat, down the street from the restaurant was a department store, so I asked my mom if I could go to it, since I was finished eating. I walked into the store, and immediately found in the toy section. Some Castle Grayskull play sets and lots of different (and wonderful) figures were for sale. I added it up in my head and calculated that I could get about 16 figures or a Castle Grayskull and 8 figures, with my $100.

I had to make a tough decision that night. Buy the figures tonight, or save money for a computer that I only had 1/3 of the money for. I tell you, that was a very hard choice for me. I chose to continue to save for the computer.

I got a newspaper route and saved that money up until I had the full $299 for that Commodore Vic 20 computer, then I dropped the route, bought the computer and thus changed my course in life.

I still desperately wanted these Masters of the universe Figures. But there was no way to get them. My paper route was gone, and my mom had no extra money.

One day I even saw some kids break a Masters of the Universe figure on the road, just for fun. A car ran over it and the plastic torso was broken apart. I could not believe this; this kid had these wonderful toys and treated them like this, when I could not even afford one.

About a year later my mom had to leave her husband (not my dad) in a rush, and I had to grab all my things that would fit into one laundry basket (my clothes, Vic 20, some Micronauts, and a few books.) She took what money she had, and she said, today you can buy what ever you want.

We went to Fred Myers in the big city and I found the toy section, then the figure isle, and looked for He-Man. All they had was Skeletor, Beast-Man, and Faker. I bought a muscle bound, blue skinned, skull faced, Skeletor.

I stayed with my older sister for the next 2 months and pretended that Skeletor was a good guy. I would make up stories of this blue hulking figure picking up large objects and throwing them, or he would mountain climb all over the apartment, and even on some days, he would fight the big cat. (It was my sisters cat.)

As times got better I got a batch of figures; Tri-Klops, Zodac, Ram-Man, Mer-Man, Zoar, and Screech. One time I spent money that I was supposed to use for my sister's Christmas present on a Battle Armor He-Man. (Finally I got a He-Man!) Another time I was sick and slept off and on for 3 days and my mom woke me and asked me if there was anything I wanted, I asked for Man-E-Faces and Man-At-Arms. She got them for me then I woke up and played for hours.

Soon I had a small job, and I was getting a new action figure every month, it was cool. Beast man, Fisto, Jitsu, Mega-Blaster, the Battle-Ram (very cool vehicle, see the box art that blew me away when I was a kid), Trap jaw, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Buzz-off and Webstor were among the ones I bought.

Times got tough again; at one time I had to give up all my figures except what I could carry on my person, so I kept my first Skeletor and one of my other favorites, Man-At-Arms. (If I had the original He-Man I would have tried to keep him too, some how; but I didn't have him, just the Battle Armor He-Man.)

Years later I started to have my own kids and went to second hand stores and found some old He-Man and the Masters of the Universe figures for them. I never told them the real names of the figures, we just called them muscle guys, and I would help my kids name their figures, usually named after guys I knew at work.

I had this idea that if I gave them a story of who or what the figures were then, they would not use their own minds including who was a good guy or a bad guy. It worked pretty well. Believe it or not, my oldest son's first Masters of the Universe figure was a Mer-Man; that was his favorite, and he was a good guy according to my son. (We called the toy Fred)

Here is an example of the type of names my kids came up with; for the Jitsu figure, they named him Million Dollar Hand.

Now again, years later, I am still trying to buy figures, but now it's the new ones. I also bought all the commemorative ones in 2000 and 2001. My youngest of four kids calls them stupid He-Man figures. He doesn't get it; he likes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

This will probably sound crazy - especially in this forum - but I got into MOTU because of the Classics line of figures.

Growing up He-Man came out just about the time I was starting to move on from "toys". I mean I still had my huge collection of Star Wars figures - and I did fall pretty hard for G.I. Joe - Real American Hero at around the same time He-Man was hitting shelves, but I essentially chose G.I. Joe over He-Man because it felt just a little "older". The Real American Hero cartoon seemed a little more action-y without a silly sidekick gimmick - so I more or less ignored He-Man at the time. I went on to Jr High and High School and left all of it behind anyway. By 2002 I was a full blown action figure collector again but the new He-Man figures didn't do it for me. I was already over the static posed, limited articulation figure idea and so the 200x toy line held no attraction for me at all. And I was totally unaware of the MYP cartoon reviving the concept.

But I was very aware of who the 4 Horsemen were and became a huge fan of their work on DC Universe Classics. So when I started to see online reviews of the MOTU Classics figures I was enamored of the design aesthetic and loved the character concepts. Getting hooked quickly by the figures I began exploring the lore - first I went back and watched the 200x cartoon and fell head over heels. Gone was the "cheesiness" I thought I remembered from my youth. Then I went back and read the vintage mini-comics... and loved them. From there I picked up the Filmation cartoon run and developed an all new appreciation for that show. Having finished with that I moved on to the NA series and found myself liking that too. And by that point I was an unabashed fan - I was reading the MVC press comics, the international content I could find, the old DC and Marvel comics... I was down for it all. I even built myself a collection of vintage MOTU figures despite never owning any of them as a kid.

So the Classics figure line is responsible for making me into a hardcore MOTU fan.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenQuetzale View Post
    How did you get into MOTU?
    There was a pusher on the school playground in my elementary school. He held up a MOTU Mer-Man figure and said in a scuzzy voice, "Here kid, here's what all the cool kids are into. The first one is free." And then he let out an evil laugh and left.

Well, that figure led to another one and another one until I was up to 3-4 MOTU figures a day. But thanks to some caring family members and great re-hab medical staff, I was able to kick the habit and now I stand before the world a normal and productive member of society who is no longer burdened by the crippling need for the debilitating MOTU in his daily life.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    There was a pusher on the school playground in my elementary school. He held up a MOTU Mer-Man figure and said in a scuzzy voice, "Here kid, here's what all the cool kids are into. The first one is free." And then he let out an evil laugh and left.

Well, that figure led to another one and another one until I was up to 3-4 MOTU figures a day. But thanks to some caring family members and great re-hab medical staff, I was able to kick the habit and now I stand before the world a normal and productive member of society who is no longer burdened by the crippling need for the debilitating MOTU in his daily life.
    Mr. Hel, Your inspiring story mirrors mine in many ways; except for the "kicking the habit", "normal and productive member of society", and "no longer burdened by the crippling need for the debilitataing MOTU in his daily life", we could be TWINS!

Parents got me merman, skeletor, thunderpunch he-man and prince Adam from the classics line on xmas '90. The figures didn't have any packaging as they were old toys my mum's boss's son from work didn't want anymore... the merman had a chewed hand then shortly after I found out there was a cartoon based on the figures being shown on tv and I became a fan. It is only lately I got my hands on the newspaper comic strips and the minicomic collection books which I really enjoyed reading after having spent an absolute fortune on the awesome classics motu figures on eBay I wanted to collect

There must be something so viscerally cool about holding aloft a magic sword and saying, "By the Power of Grayskull!" Because at the tender age of two, I was doing this, and demanding to watch "Man-Man!" (This was 1985). Christmas 1985 I received He-man on Battle Cat and Skeletor on Panthor, and the following Halloween (I think) I dressed in one of those Ben Cooper Halloween costumes and a hand-me-down Pull String Power Sword from my cousin. I got a lot of stuff from him: Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, some She-Ra figures, Spydor, Road Ripper, Roton -- basically anything big because we didn't have a lot of money.

Both of my grandmothers worked at the local department store, though, and would often buy me figures when I came in (which was weekly), so I ended up with a lot of Thunder Punch He-man figures (at least 3), because the stock was limited in my small town

To comfort me (because i was something like 3 or 4 at the time) at the barber ship, I remember that the barber (who had an older son that was into He-man) called the electric clippers (which terrified me) Buzz-Or, and so I'd bring in my Buzz-Off figure and things weren't scary after that.

When I heard that a "New Adventures" of He-man was launching, I was super stoked, but it had two problems -- (a) it had a wonky time slot, and (b) I did not recognize this as a "he-man" show. It was a totally new thing with characters that only vaguely resembled what had come before. With Filmation's He-man off the air, I was more than happy with TMNT, Conan the Adventurer, Batman, X-Men, and the Disney Afternoon shows.

Fast forward 30 years or so, and I've got a son of my own, who I'm introducing to He-man. Before he could string sentences together well-enough, he too was yelling "POWER SKULL!" at the top of his lungs. Which is awesome. Except that he did it everywhere... including in Church, to everyone's amusement.

Thanks for sharing, guys. All your stories are so fun to read. Makes me wish my story was more interesting. XD
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    200X Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Filmation Hordak, MYP Skeletor

I was searching for some Lunar Jim toys on ebay because my son was really into the series. It got me thinking of how much I loved He-Man as a kid, so I started searching for toys I remembered. It spiraled way out of control from there.

I don't have any recollection of how I got into MOTU. I was born in 1981 and every single picture I can find where I am not an infant, He-man is there. So for me, he has just always been here.

Chris
    Is not not licking toads

Back in 1982, our family moved to a small town during the Summer. We had a Thrifty store there that carried MOTU figures. Whenever we went there, my younger brother and I would check out the toy section. I always would check out the MOTU figures and nothing much else. My older sister noticed that, so she bought me He-Man and Man-At-Arms for Christmas (she thought the other figures were too scary looking). I also received some money for Christmas. We ended up going to Thrifty that day and I bought Skeletor and Beastman with my money. I was hooked from there. One of the things that drove my love for the line was the incredible mini comics. The artwork and stories just sent my imagination soaring. We didn't have a lot of money, but whenever I saved up some, I would get a new figure. I remember buying Mer-Man from the Hallmark store in the same shopping center where Thrifty was (they didn't have him). One of the things I looked forward to was the new mini comic stories. I'm not sure I would of got so hooked if not for the comics.

Good Times!
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Heroic Warrior
    Motu arrived at my little part of the world towards the end of September 1984 . I was 6 yrs old . I never saw such a toy like that in my life .
    I begged my parents for HeMan we both got him on my little brothers Bday because everyone gets toys on everyones BDay because well one sibling will cry if he gets nothing. The cartoon itself showed up around Christmas time . Once again I never saw such a cartoon like that in my life .

Got two sets of Battlecat on Christmas day and 2 Man At Arms on Easter 1985 . On my Birthday I got Teela and Zoar of which i have an old Photo . Little Bro got Skeletor and Zoar and collected others and watched the cartoons years later. Sometimes we got the same toy and sometimes we diverged .

My best friend was a well off only child . He got Castle Greyskull and HeMan on Christmas day and everything else by the middle of the following year . He owned literally every figure , vehicle and accessory just before the Evil Horde arrived . On top of that he found a discarded Webstor on his street corner and added him to his brand new one .

I was soo envious . I was also soo angry with him that he gave it all away to an orphanage by the end of that year to make way for Thundercats although he did not collect as many . Thundercats cost twice as much as Motu . I also recall seeing a documentary of a local orphanage where children were playing with Motu toys and I will always wonder if that was his toys or not .

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I was searching for some Lunar Jim toys on ebay because my son was really into the series. It got me thinking of how much I loved He-Man as a kid, so I started searching for toys I remembered. It spiraled way out of control from there.
    How I originally got into MOTU was my mom got the first four toys for my brother and I for Christmas in 1982 - He-Man, Skeletor, Beast Man and Man-At-Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Beers View Post
    Back in 1982, our family moved to a small town during the Summer. We had a Thrifty store there that carried MOTU figures. Whenever we went there, my younger brother and I would check out the toy section. I always would check out the MOTU figures and nothing much else. My older sister noticed that, so she bought me He-Man and Man-At-Arms for Christmas (she thought the other figures were too scary looking). I also received some money for Christmas. We ended up going to Thrifty that day and I bought Skeletor and Beastman with my money. I was hooked from there. One of the things that drove my love for the line was the incredible mini comics. The artwork and stories just sent my imagination soaring. We didn't have a lot of money, but whenever I saved up some, I would get a new figure. I remember buying Mer-Man from the Hallmark store in the same shopping center where Thrifty was (they didn't have him). One of the things I looked forward to was the new mini comic stories. I'm not sure I would of got so hooked if not for the comics.

Good Times!
    Transformers, G.I. Joe, comic books, Go-Bots, A-Team, Knight Rider, I loved them all and because I had two brothers we collected everything! Later Thundarcats, Silverhawks, Wheeled Warriors, Nintendo, Visionaries, Madballs, and Secret Wars figures would come along.

But no other toy line came close to my love for He-man and the Masters of the Universe.

I got my first He-man figure along with Man-e-Faces for my 5th birthday. I would soon go with my mom and brothers and we picked up Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw, and Man-at-Arms. Just like Man-E-Beers, I fell in love with the minicomics. They gave me an outline and my imagination went crazy to work. That next Christmas I would receive Grayskull, Clawful, Ram-man, Orko, Kobra Khan, and others that my memory can't place exact times. I would eventually own nearly every vehicle (no Battle Ram ) and every figure.

I never had a figure that my imagination didn't develop a sinister and/or very cool backstory. I was always a fan of the Evil Warriors and they were no joke. There were no silly or weak characters and I loved them all. To this day I have this "lore" in my head as though it's some kinda of historical knowledge that I'm keeping up with.

So many toy lines hold a huge nostalgia factor for me but none so much as He-man.

Heroic Warrior
    As a kid, a few of my friends had some figures and I always wanted a few, but we couldn't afford them.

Then in 2012 or 13, I was randomly browsing ebay and saw a few figures. For fun, I got a really beat up vintage Ram-Man for $1 so that I could restore him. After he was done, did the same with Leech, but Leech arrived in really good condition, from then on I decide to try and get the whole vintage line. This is when I learnt about variants and all the lines and I was hooked.

5 years later, Almost 150 Classics, Minis, NECA, 200x, vintage NA, POP and about 300 vintage figures, I can say with confidence, I am completely addicted.

As a kid, it was the raddest **** in the toy store. I dont remember 'starting' with them, but I remember playing with them, and saving money to buy the next one.

Rekindled the flame 20 years later when I found a used leech and/or buzz off on the flea market, and put them into my flower pots.

Now at 40 figures, I guess, and doing castle-raids and customs for my son. they are still awesome.

Heroic Warrior
    I grew up with MOTU in the '80's. I remember first becoming aware of the original line of figures in '82, and getting a handful of them. I really appreciated the original mini-comics with He-man's savage "origin" (which had nothing to do with Prince Adam), etc. IIRC, my first figure was Zodac - who remains one of my favorite MOTU characters. Very strange appearance, and the clawed arms & legs were somewhat animalistic.

In '83 I started watching the cartoon, but even as a kid found it somewhat repetitive at times. It was OK, but I wasn't a huge fan. I did think it was ridiculous that Prince Adam looked exactly the same as He-man (right down to the build), and no one made the connection that they were the same person - personality not-withstanding. Heck, even Clark Kent had glasses & suits to "disguise" his appearance.

However, I really liked the figures/vehicles. My favorite years for the MOTU toyline were probably 1983 - 1985 (roughly). Really dug a lot of these then-new figures that were coming out, especially Man-e-faces (of course!), Webstor, Clawful, Jitsu, Whiplash, Two-bad (from the commercial: "My name's Two-bad, and that's too bad for you!" - LOL), Roboto, Buzz-off, Mekanek, Trap-jaw, Evil-lyn, and Tri-klops. My favorite vehicles were probably the Road Ripper (great name), Point Dread & Talon Fighter, Roton, and the Attak-Trak. I also strongly preferred the mini-comics to the Filmation cartoon.

I also appreciated how the initial '82 He-man figure cards just had the pictures of other figures on the back. However, from '83-on, there was artwork on the back of both the '83 & later figures, but also in many cases they went back and created new art for the '82 figure card-backs. If they ever put out another "Art of MOTU" book that focuses on just the packaging & related Classic art, I hope they include all of this figure card-back art.

I also got several issues of the mid-late '80's MOTU magazine, with great painted covers (many by the excellent artist Earl Norem).

By '87, I had gotten older & my interest was fading in the toys & the franchise in general, and I didn't even see the feature film that came out that year. I unloaded a lot of my MOTU toys at that point, but I did keep the "Blasterhawk", since that was a great toy with a cool feature (the "flying" disks).

Flash-forward to 2001. I read about a new MOTU line that was coming out, and that year did get a nice "Commemorative" set of several Vintage figures @ TRU. In 2002, I did start collecting the new Four Horsemen toys, which were great - but, that's another thread.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; May 17, 2017 at 01:07pm.

Widget
    He-Bro, that was a great read. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt story.

Like many here, my fondness for MOTU started at an early age. One of my earliest childhood memories is of seeing the Filmation He-Man transformation sequence on TV while visiting a cousin's home. I didn't watch the cartoon much, as I suppose I had no concept of timeslots as a 3-4 year old, but when I did, I recall being mostly unimpressed. The toys and their related artwork are what caught my attention.

I do recall enough, as is common with hazy childhood memories, that my first toy was He-Man, and it came from a KB Toys in our local mall. I remember going there with my parents, and they had this large cage bin sitting outside the store, filled haphazardly with all the figures in a massive pile. My parents searched in vain for He-Man specifically and tried to convince me to get Prince Adam. But I always knew what I wanted, and the store managed to locate a He-Man elsewhere.

There was something about the look of the vintage He-Man that, to this day, I still find visually entertaining. It's got something to do with that harness and the red tabs with the iron cross, and the classic Power Sword, which again, I found much more visually satisfying than the Filmation and even Alcala versions (even though I *loved* the mini comics). It's also why I see the MOTUC He-Man as the perfect figure and one of the best figures of any line, period.

An unspecified time later, my mom happened upon a garage sale where the sellers were getting rid of their son's toys. My mom managed to grab a large portion of the vintage toys and vehicles in great shape for super cheap. It was like Christmas in summertime. Regretfully, those same toys later got thrown out for reasons I won't get into here.

I was that super weird kid that dressed up as all his heroes using household items. One Christmas, my parents got me the glow-in-the-dark power sword that split into both halves. So, my 4-year-old self, noticing things that appeared somewhat similar to what I needed to dress as He-Man, grabbed a pair of suspenders that criss-crossed in the back and wore them backwards to serve as He-Man's harness. Pair that with my insistence on red undies and socks, and I was a very young cosplayer in the privacy of my home haha.

Interest in the brand faded as the toys disappeared and as I aged, but in the back of my head, I always appreciated the core concept. As an adult, having viewed many nostalgic properties with mature eyes, I have developed a saying about the 80's having great concepts but poor execution at times. The 200X figures didn't appeal to me visually and I didn't see the series until it was on DVD (and wow am I sad that series got cancelled. I like it a lot). Then along came MOTUC and Big Lots.

I had never really noticed how MOTU didn't take itself too seriously the further along it went. Having a love for the darker box art and swords and sorcery angle, I had always taken the weirdness in stride (as kids tend to do anyway). But as an adult, I have developed a fondness for the overall ability for MOTU to do goofy concepts with a tongue-in-cheek flair. As a customizer, it has been tremendously liberating to be able to create and appreciate things simply for the fun of the idea rather than focus on what's plausible or internally consistent to a lore. I'd say now my love for the property has become a bit more broad and nuanced, but still affectionate.

So that's my bit. Hope it was entertaining.
    Last edited by Palidor; May 17, 2017 at 11:58am.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    Mr. Hel, we could be TWINS!
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought I was the only unlucky one with this mug.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Palidor View Post
    He-Bro, that was a great read. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt story.

So that's my bit. Hope it was entertaining.
    Thanks for reading mine, yours was entertaining too, that's cool about Big Lots, I'm glad you found them again.

My earliest memories are of me playing with MOTU figures, especially Tung Lashor and Man-At-Arms. I have just been a fan all my life, as long as I remember.
    I have seen what others have not seen!